All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 709 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 36  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 2:27 pm 

Blog: View Blog (0)

______

Remus had spent the first day of the conference in a haze. Having started their morning as they had, the academic setting that followed felt almost comical, feeling like he barely had had a chance to remember why they were in Paris to begin with.
Although most presentations had been held in broken English, the hum of the crowd around them was an auditory nightmare, so many languages blurring into one. It had been the most natural thing to keep close to Sirius, although it had taken continuous effort not to reach for him.
It was well into the afternoon, and rather than join Mulligan for a pastry before the last stint of presentations, Remus and Sirius had stolen away to one of the universities many courtyards for a smoke.
They weren’t alone, several other people peppering the yard, but it almost didn’t matter, finding this to be the first moment in hours they hadn’t been surrounded by dozens of academics.
Remus had only just lit his cigarette, before plucking it out of his lips to glance back up at Sirius, his eyes bright; the memory of this morning - of last night - wasn’t far removed from his consciousness. “What do you make of it, then? You, who understands French.”

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 1:49 pm 

This body is a vessel for my mayhem and as long as I can perform bafoonery it doesn’t matter if this stomach is flat or not

Having had to rush out of their hotel room in the morning, and having been immediately rushed to the university post breakfast, Sirius hadn’t really had the time to properly digest everything that had been going on.
It was only now, standing in a slightly more quiet courtyard and getting a smoke, that everything was really hitting him and he was realising exactly what was going on.
Remus’ question brought a smile to his lips, taking his time to actually take a drag from the cigarette as he thought about it for a moment. He wasn’t actually sure what he made of it, having been too focused on Remus sticking close to him for him to take very much in.
“Getting an awful lot of deja vu,” he admitted before blowing out a huff of smoke, starting to feel more and more like himself. “But the topics of conversation are a lot more interesting here.”

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 2:30 pm 

Despite having already lit his cigarette, it stalled idly midair as Remus instead watched Sirius’ inhale, gaze constantly seeming to favour Sirius’ lips despite Remus’ best attempts at keeping his eyes level. Sirius really was beautiful; Remus had thought so all day, finding it especially striking against the endless sea of ageing academics. Remus almost missed Sirius’ reply all together when his lips disappeared behind the haze of smoke.
“More interesting than where?” he managed to ask when his attention refocused on Sirius’ eyes, finally finishing the movement and taking a drag himself.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 3:34 pm 

This body is a vessel for my mayhem and as long as I can perform bafoonery it doesn’t matter if this stomach is flat or not

It took Remus questioning him for Sirius to realise that he probably hadn’t actually told Remus too much about how he grew up. After all, it wasn’t something he was exactly proud of and most of the time it seemed absolutely meaningless to talk about something that was never going to be a part of his life again.
“The various galas and charity events my parents insisted on dragging me to,” he explained, knowing that it pulled his privileged upbringing into the light, but he also felt certain that Remus wouldn’t judge him too harshly.
“The first 23 years of my life was a lot of this,” he explained, taking another drag from his cigarette, almost as if he would be able to burn the memory away. “Usually they talked about politics, so this is a lot more pleasant.”

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 4:25 am 

Sirius had shared enough glimpses about his upbringing for Remus to get the bold strokes, and still there seemed something about the scale that took Remus by surprise. Even though they weren’t in the middle of it, Remus still glanced towards the side at the other men scattered about at the courtyard, only then seeming to process just what kind of events Sirius had been attending.
When his gaze returned onto Sirius his attention had better narrowed down on their conversation, less inclined to get distracted by another huff of smoke.
Taking a moment to look at him, Remus tried to gauge Sirius’ state of mind; above anything else, he seemed far off, and for the time they had spent together, Remus realised he didn’t know how else to bring him back.
He took a moment to weigh Sirius’ words, taking a drag from his smoke.
“They brought an infant to a gala?” he asked through the exhale, a soft furrow on his brow. The almost flat sincerity of his voice was coy and boyish in equal measures, but the tug at the corner of his mouth betrayed it as just a tease.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 3:34 pm 

Sirius grinned at the question, knowing that it was going to seem absurd to people far removed from that type of life, but Sirius was aware that the reality was far stranger than anything Remus would ever be able to theorise.
“They did,” he stated, grin still on his face as he focused properly on Remus again, only now realising that he had zoned out for a bit there, and wasn’t interested in disappearing entirely.
To further bring himself back, he took another drag from his cigarette, looking at Remus and trying to gauge just how much Remus was actually interested in hearing and how much was just him trying to humour Sirius.
“I was with a nanny, of course,” he elaborated after blowing out his huff of smoke, knowing that the image had to be bizarre, but that had just been the reality of his life. “I was the eldest heir, so of course they brought me to show me off right from when I was born.”

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 4:02 pm 

Remus had only said as much to alleviate what had felt like an exaggerated timeline, wanting to offer Sirius grace where he hadn’t been able to find it himself; it felt a little staggering that no such thing was allotted to him.
Despite attempting to meet the conversation level, not wanting to add to the frustration Sirius had every right to feel, Remus’ hand stalled in mid-air at the notion that Sirius had been paraded around since birth.
“That’s wild,” he said after a beat, finally seeing the motion through and taking the last drag of the diminishing cigarette.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 2:21 pm 

Sirius couldn’t help but laugh at that, having never really had his life summed up in such succinct a fashion before, but it made sense that Remus would be the one to come with that insight.
“Yeah,” he stated with a wide grin, looking at Remus and trying to gauge exactly what he felt about the things that Sirius had just revealed to him. He simply took another drag from his cigarette, reminded of just how different his life had been from most other people and how desperately he wished that it hadn’t.
“You know children are just accessories to rich people,” he added, trying to make light of the situation, but he wasn’t sure how well he actually succeeded.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 12:07 pm 

Having really no grounds to speak on that, Remus’ reply was reduced to a simple quirk of his brows; it certainly had been an assumption he had made, but having heard it happen to Sirius felt entirely different.
“They shouldn’t be,” he muttered to the ground, having looked down to toss the butt of the cigarette.
The way a feeling of upset shifted through his chest proved to Remus that there were more things he wanted to say to Sirius, but he couldn’t find the words. Shifting to step on the embers, Remus glanced back up at Sirius, hoping the meeker smile on his lips translated in their place.
“I hope you know Mulligan showing you off has nothing to do with you being his firstborn,” he added, a helpless attempt at meeting Sirius’ wide grin with a joke.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 3:57 pm 

Despite himself, Sirius couldn’t help but grin at that, feeling very certain that Arlo had picked him to speak mostly because he was the only student he tutored who spoke French, but also because he knew what he was talking about.
Rather than comment on it though, he too dropped the butt of his cigarette and stepped out the remaining ember, feeling lighter somehow after having shared all of this with Remus. He knew that it was probably a lot to take in, but it was nice that they could get to know each other some more now.
“No, that’s pure nepotism,” he stated with a grin, having to use all of his willpower to not reach for Remus, wanting to somehow be able to press a reassurance out of him, but he knew that that would be inappropriate for the setting.
“Let’s go find him though, can’t have him wandering around without his translator.”

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 12:58 pm 

____

Remus had known the conference would offer him an insight to high society before even agreeing to going - and Sirius had pointed out as much just yesterday - but the scale of it all had still taken him aback, itching its way into his consciousness the morning of their second day.
He stood a few paces away from the wardrobe mirror, looking at his own reflection, and had been for a few minutes already. He had once already changed his shirt, and was putting a conscious effort not to fidget about with his blazer; it was not like he had any alternatives, after all, barely having enough appropriate clothes to span the length of their trip as it were. Still, it was proving difficult to shake the growing feeling that he stuck out from the crowd as less-than.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 2:30 pm 

It had been second nature for Sirius to get dressed up in his nicer suit, being intimately familiar with this song and dance that he barely even thought about it until he was done.
He and Remus had fallen silent while getting dressed, both of them focused on the task at hand. Thus, it was only when Sirius looked up from his own outfit that he noticed Remus standing in front of the mirror.
“You alright?” He asked, moving closer to Remus again, finding that it was difficult to stay completely out of his orbit, especially when they were alone and it was permitted.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 2:58 pm 

Sirius’ question brought Remus out of his reverie, attention refocusing on Sirius’ mirrored image as he appeared beside him. The sight only managed to make Remus grin, a little exasperated.
“I’m just regretting not buying some new shirts before leaving,” he dismissed, good humoured despite the bite of his words, trying to remind himself that Mulligan knew he didn’t come from money when he invited him in the first place.
His gaze softened then it once again returned to Sirius’ reflection, his smile far more appreciative. “You look pretty.”

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:45 pm 

While Sirius would never not find Remus attractive, he could definitely see the source of his insecurities. After all, these things were rather high end, even if they invited poor university students, appearances being an important part of academia.
The compliment brought a smile to his lips, but also spurred an idea in his mind to hopefully ease some of the self consciousness in Remus’ body.
“Want me to help?” He asked, not waiting for an answer before unbuttoning his blazer again, stepping away slightly to carefully place it on the bed, not wanting to get it creased, before making quick work of the waistcoat as well.
“Put this on,” he stated, while unbuttoning the last button.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:32 pm 

Remus had to physically do a double take turning to actually look at Sirius to make sure he had heard him right; he hadn’t. Realising a moment too late that, although Sirius was undressing, his suggestion had been for Remus to put on more clothes, Remus let out a surprised laugh, sheepish in his presumptuousness.
“Yeah?” he grinned, half-heartedly, more preoccupied watching Sirius undress than anything else. “That’s not what I meant, you know.”

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:38 pm 

Sirius was definitely aware that Remus hadn’t made the comment with the intention of Sirius doing something to fix it, however, if there was one positive thing about Sirius getting disowned so late was that he could still fit all the expensive suits that his parents had insisted on getting him.
“I know,” he stated as he slid the waistcoat over his shoulder and handed it out towards Remus, completely sincere in his offer. “Put it on.”

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:24 pm 

For a long moment, Remus simply gawked at Sirius, a smile appearing and disappearing at the corner of his mouth in an almost incredulous expression.
The sincerity of the offer was almost juvenile, if not childish, and Remus was in that moment struck by the fact that Sirius probably wasn’t an only child. Remus was unsure what to make of it, though his immediate reaction was to lean into the smile. He leaned into the offer, too, finally moving to shrug off his blazer.
“And what,” he challenged as he pulled the cuffs of his jacket over his wrists, an airy laugh to his voice that diminished any objection audible in his wordings. “We’re gonna match, then?”

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:39 pm 

Sirius shrugged at that, having not really thought of it like that, but he knew that it probably wasn’t going to read like that, because it was only the waistcoat.
“If you’d like,” he stated with a grin as he shrugged on his blazer again, the fine fabric of the jacket hugging the curves of Sirius’ body in a way only a tailored piece of clothes ever would.
“Trust me, it will make you look more purposeful.”

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:58 pm 

Remus snickered at the optimism of Sirius’ suggestion, uncertain whether or not it would make an impact on his overall impression, but he still accepted the waistcoat, humoured if nothing else.
“Yeah?” he encouraged, almost by instinct as his eyes constantly favoured Sirius. While Sirius had looked nice and proper in his three piece, Remus thought he preferred the look and ease of a shirt and a blazer.
“I think you look nicer without it,” he mused, smile tugging at his lips as he pulled on the waistcoat. As his fingers found the button closure, Remus turned back towards the mirror, although he for a long moment kept grinning at Sirius overtop his shoulders, finding it hard to drag his attention off of him.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:04 pm 

There was nothing Sirius felt more enamouring than seeing Remus grin, making him feel giddy knowing that he was the one who brought on that grin in the first place.
“My mother would have a fit,” he stated with a grin of his own, able to vividly imagine his mother’s reaction to him showing up on official academic business while not wearing a three piece suit. It only served to make it even better, feeling good about lending it out to Remus and thus appearing less formal himself.
“You look very handsome,” he added instead, hoping that it would make Remus feel slightly more appropriate for the evening that was ahead of them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 709 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 36  Next