All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 709 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 36  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:35 pm 

Blog: View Blog (0)

Before Remus could help it, a toothy smile flashed across his lips, an endless satisfaction in hearing that. There was such a relief in hearing that his work resonated with Mulligan, and Remus felt the tension between his shoulders ease for the first time in days.
Catching himself, he ducked his head, smiling to his papers for a second before restraining himself, biting at his lip to dull it. He shifted, as though shrugging his smile off.
“That’s good to hear,” he admitted, quietly accepting the praise Black had so generously offered. “Doesn’t always feel like it does.”

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:55 pm 

This body is a vessel for my mayhem and as long as I can perform bafoonery it doesn’t matter if this stomach is flat or not

Remus’ smile completely took Sirius aback.
He had found Remus to be a handsome man ever since he first laid eyes on him, but that was nothing compared to how he looked when he smiled. The gesture made Sirius’ head spin and yet he found that it didn’t last long enough, finding that Remus was too quick to duck his head and restrain it.
Sirius almost wanted to tell him not to, but had enough of his senses still about him to know that that was likely unwise.
“That never stops,” he managed, the delay slightly too long, Sirius still feeling like he had maybe landed on a different planet.
“But trust me, you are miles ahead.”

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:13 am 

Remus nodded slowly, attention still on his papers, looking over them with fresh eyes. Though his smile had faded, Remus greatly appreciated the reassurance, comforted by it even in its most abstract form.
“I’ll keep that in mind,” he answered, glancing over at Black who, seemingly, had yet to commit to starting any work, his attention still on Remus.
“That that’s just how it is, I mean,” he felt compelled to clarify, a smile ghosting at the corner of his lip, not wanting to appear schadenfreude.
His eyes dipped again, fiddling with his pen. “I don’t feel miles ahead, but I’ll keep that in mind, too.”

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:35 am 

This body is a vessel for my mayhem and as long as I can perform bafoonery it doesn’t matter if this stomach is flat or not

Even if it didn’t seem to be any real reassurance to Remus, Sirius still felt good about it, liking to think that his words held some weight for his co-student.
“Well, it’s a heavy burden to bear, being the favourite,” Sirius added with a crooked grin, knowing that he was laying it on massively thick right now, but he figured that Remus needed that kind of thing. He really was one of the best students that Sirius had seen in a while, Mulligan had told him as much as well, so it only seemed fair to play it up a little.
“But I’m sure you can shoulder it.”

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:10 pm 

Taken aback, Remus let out a surprised laugh. It was a single, disbelieving sound, but a smile remained in its wake, although Remus shook his head, finding the comment terribly silly.
“Oh, yeah?” he pressed, his voice still airy with a chuckle and a smile as he once again met Black’s eye.
For a moment, that’s all he did. Left with a bright smile, Remus tried to gauge Black’s sincerity. The comment was without a doubt paraphrased - if at all rooted in reality - and Remus had a feeling he was making a fool of himself by even entertaining it. And still, against all instincts, he relaxed into the joke.
“Here I was thinking that’d be you,” he challenged, the smile still pulling at his lips as he spoke.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:30 pm 

Sirius had thought that nothing would make his heart flutter the way that Remus’ smile had, but he was proven absolutely wrong by the sound of his laugh.
It made Sirius’ knees feel weak, finding that the laugh suited Remus just as well as his smile had, making Sirius desperate to hear that sound again.
“Well, I am in a different category,” Sirius admitted, knowing just how true that was, but seeing no point in sharing that much with his flatmate, at least not just yet. Mostly because he feared that it would reflect poorly on Mulligan.
“Trust me, you are up there.”

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:56 am 

Remus made a face at that, not out of ill will but rather a sign of disbelief. The smile lingered, biting the inside of his cheek as he glanced away.
“Yeah, well,” he started, a sentence that never found its way through. It didn’t matter, and yet it did. A doctorate was palming through darkness, hoping to stumble upon a loose end to unravel. Remus was too close to his work to know if he was heading for a dead end, and Mulligan’s supposed blessing did mean a lot.
“Maybe I can afford to take the evening off, then,” he instead said, though that hadn’t been where his mind had been at. He had been at the library ever since instructions ended, and his mind was going fuzzy at the edges.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:19 pm 

Knowing just how exhausting writing a dissertation was, Sirius really would encourage Remus to take breaks whenever he felt that he reasonably could, but he was also certain that that wasn’t the advice Remus wanted right in that moment.
“Doesn’t sound entirely unreasonable to me,” he said with a soft smile, feeling uncertain just how many breaks his flatmate allowed himself, but he figured that it couldn’t be a lot.
“I don’t think anyone could fault you for doing that, hell, the others might even see it as you giving them a chance,” he added with a crooked grin, knowing that it was a lot but he hoped that it was going to make Remus feel well at ease.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:15 pm 

That comment didn’t merit itself a laugh, but it did make Remus’ breath hitch, a surprised little snort.
“**** off,” Remus dismissed as he cocked his head, though the hashness of his words were undermined by a smile. Black was laying it on thicker than was necessary, Remus could tell as much, but it was the most encouragement Remus had gotten in weeks, and it was hard not to bask in it, even if only for a moment.
Not keen on letting Black go on, Remus instead picked up a forgotten tangent.
“Can I ask you something -” he started, but while it was phrased as though he was asking for permission, he didn’t seem to expect an answer.
For the first time, Remus’ posture showed a real sense of engagement. He sat up straighter, elbows on the table as he leaned forward towards Black. Though his movements seemed filled with intent, he stalled, looking for words.
“At what point does a hunch become a hypothesis?” He paused, brows quirking. “Does it ever?”

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:58 pm 

It was the most subtle of changes and yet Sirius picked up on it immediately. It was something in the way that Remus was now leaning against the table, body language turning entirely to be focused on Sirius. It made him smile as well, still feeling a little faint from seeing the smile so firmly cemented on Remus’ face.
The question took him slightly by surprise, not that it should have, probably. He knew that it was difficult to feel confident in the work you were doing, difficult to know when to label it what, and Sirius so desperately wanted to help but he hardly knew himself.
“Well, that certainly is the question, isn’t it,” Sirius started, mostly trying to win himself some time to properly thing about a way to give Remus a proper answer tho is question.
“I think it’s when you allow it to, does that make sense?” He asked, unsure when his own hunch had become a hypothesis and now close to a full dissertation. It had all just happened to him as he went and he was unsure how to explain that.
“When you start treating your hunch like an hypothesis, that’s when you know whether or not it is.”

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:32 pm 

Remus nodded slowly at that, mulling the words over. They made sense, in an abstract way. It offered little as far as actionable advice that might streamline the progression of his thesis, but perhaps it has been intended more as a reassurance than as advice.
“Right.”
A slow forming furrow had gained hold between his brows; within seconds it cleared, replaced by a little smile.
“That’s not very helpful,” he admitted, relaxing back into this chair. The smile remained, a testament of just how impossible a task they had taken on.
He fiddled with his pen, turning it between his fingers. His attention remained on Black, but his gaze had clouded, still processing the response he had gotten.
“Blind faith, yeah?” he attempted with a lopsided smile, a less poetic interpretation of what Black had tried to put into words.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:50 am 

Even if Sirius desperately wanted to be of more concrete help, he knew that there wasn’t a lot more that he would be able to say about the entire ordeal. It definitely was a convoluted kind of trust exercise, but the one you were supposed to trust were entirely yourself.
“The weirdest trust exercise you will ever do,” he said with a crooked grin, unsure if that was going to be really helpful either, but it really was the best way to describe it.
“But if you want help to decide, I will gladly help you out,” he added in a softer voice, still wanting Remus to know that he would be available, should the entire thing become too difficult to decide.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:21 am 

Remus hummed, continuing to tap his pen on the table, running his fingers down its length before flipping it around. Presented like that, Remus wasn’t sure what to make of it, but he allowed himself to bask in the thought that maybe that was just to be expected.
“I’ll keep that in mind,” he eventually answered, a small smile ghosting over his lips. “Thank you.”

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:04 pm 

______
While Sirius genuinely didn’t mind living with Remus, he had found that it made some things about his job significantly harder to keep up with. Mostly the fact that he did sometimes have to take home his costumes and get them clean, and it was difficult to explain to Remus why he was in the possession of several flamboyant gowns.
He had succeeded though and everything that he was going to need for the next while was secured in his duffel bag as he locked the room behind him, planning to head to the club to get them back into his locker and get ready for the show.
It was times like these he severely missed living with James, knowing just how free he has been to live his life while they had lived together. However, it was also just for another couple of years that Sirius would have to deal with living with others, so he was certain that he was going to manage the balance just fine, no nagger how tricky it was going to be.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:18 pm 

Remus was heading back from the library, hoping for a few quiet hours at the dorm before going to dinner; as he turned the corner, he realized he might just be in luck.
Finding Black at their door, it took Remus a few seconds to gauge if he was coming or going, a sense of relief washing over him when Black pocketed his keys.
It wasn’t that they weren’t getting along. The past week in particular had been quite civil, but Remus had fled the library to avoid the second wave of students arriving after their classes, and the prospect of finding quiet in their room made Remus sound almost cheery when he spoke.
“Hi,” he announced his presence as he approached. Having seen Black pocket his, Remus reached into his own bag for his set of keys, nodding towards Black’s bag. “Heading out?”

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:12 pm 

Sirius had been so caught up in his relief in avoiding Remus that the other man’s voice took him completely aback, almost making him drop the keys that were almost back on his pocket.
There had been so sense of accusation in Remus’ tone, and Sirius remembered that he had seen his flatmate at the club and that he likely knew what Sirius were up to.
“Hi,” he managed, a little flustered by the entire ordeal as he finally looked properly at Remus, desperate to read anything in his expression, but he found nothing to help guide him one way or another.
“Yeah, I guess,” he said, his hand awkwardly finding his bag by his side, realising that it could very much look like an overnight bag, but Sirius has no such intentions.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:35 pm 

Remus had no intention in engaging in any real conversation with Black, but when the other stuttered a clumsy reply to a straightforward question, Remus’ interest peaked.
Eyes otherwise occupied by the task of unlocking the door, Remus glanced back at Black, a thin line between his brows with a genuine sense of confusion.
“Yeah?” he pressed, almost a laugh in the airiness of his voice. His gaze flickered back onto the lock, dissipating some of the tension of his question. The addition was spoken with a grin, finding that it came easier when he wasn’t directly looking at Black. “Should I not wait up, then?”

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:26 pm 

The grin that Remus was sporting once again sent Sirius’ head spinning, still not quite used to actually seeing him smiling. It was nice though and Sirius really liked it whenever he did smile, even if it was because Sirius was probably alluding to something a lot more exciting than what he was actually going to be doing.
“It’ll probably get late yeah,” he said, smiling sheepishly as he remembered that Remus had to know where he was actually going. They’d seen each other at the club after all and even if Sirius had been in drag, he had felt pretty certain that Remus had recognised him.
“Got a date with a pretty special lady,” he instead added, grin more confident by now.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:10 pm 

All of the sudden, the joke took a turn Remus found it hard to follow. It knocked the air out of him, struck with a sense of disappointment to an expectation he didn’t realized he harboured. Of course.
“Right,” Remus chuckled, but the smile had lost its ease. He was taken aback not only by the boyish boldness of Black sharing his plans that openly, but by the fact that he was seeing a woman. Remus didn’t realize he had assumed differently - he probably hadn’t, having not really thought about his dormmate like that until this same moment - and still it felt like a pity.
“Well, you two have fun,” he answered with as much encouragement as he could muster.
The lock gave way, and Remus offered Black a little smile and a glance, before stepping inside.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:36 pm 

___
For once, Sirius was visiting the bar he usually worked at for purely personal reasons. He had spent the past week working essentially day and night and now felt that he deserved a break.
Most of the night had went by without much happening and Sirius had taken the chance to just drink, dance and not think too much for once. That was, until he had spotted Remus standing at the bar.
At first, Sirius had thought to approach his flatmate, figuring that the least he could do was say hi, maybe even feeling a little spurred on by seeing Remus at a gay bar. However, it had quickly become clear to him that Remus was deeply engaged in conversation with another man, the two of them standing a little closer than they needed, even if the people were loud and the music even louder.
It was only after looking at them for a while, Sirius trying to convince himself that he was trying to make sure that Remus was okay, that he noticed the man kept slipping bills into Remus’ pocket.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 709 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 36  Next