All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:43 am 

This body is a vessel for my mayhem and as long as I can perform bafoonery it doesn’t matter if this stomach is flat or not

Blog: View Blog (0)

The grin seemed to be permanently etched onto Sirius’ features, feeling like he couldn’t stop smiling because this was Moony, his Moony! It was surreal and made so much sense at the same time that Sirius was having a hard time keeping it together.
“You got tall,” he noted, noting that he had to look up at Remus to properly see him. It sent a thrill down his spine, adding further to the thrill of actually having met him again.
“And handsome,” he added with a crooked grin, not blind to the fact that his old friend had grown into a very handsome man. It made other feelings flow through him as well.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:23 pm 

Remus couldn't help but laugh, surprised. He found it to be a very generously superficial summary of everything that had changed about Remus since Sirius last saw him, but he couldn't say he minded. There was such a familiar ease in being known by Sirius, allowing for Remus to relax into the lingering embrace and lap up the compliment.
It had made his heart flip in his chest, caught off guard in the best way.
"Thank you," he replied, a boyishness to his smile. Sirius had never made Remus feel ugly, but looking back Remus had certainly felt inadequate, especially during the last year of their friendship. Now, Remus found such pitiful validation in the compliment, regardless of whether or not Sirius was being truthful, that it made his cheeks flush.
"I was always tall," Remus countered, the grin still at his lips as he finally let go of Sirius' waist. It easily glossed over the fact that Sirius had called him handsome, though it was obvious Remus hadn't failed to notice, his smile almost sheepish.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:06 pm 

This body is a vessel for my mayhem and as long as I can perform bafoonery it doesn’t matter if this stomach is flat or not

Sirius couldn’t help but laugh at the comment, feeling quite confident that both of them knew that his comment on Remus’ heigh had been about so much more than just that. He let it go for now, liking how Remus responded to his compliment, even if he refused to comment on it.
Finding that he was far beyond a normal hug by now, he reluctantly allowed his hands to leave Remus; almost as if he was afraid that he was going to disappear once more. He really wasn’t ready to lose Moony again, but he had a feeling that Moony wasn’t prepared to lose him either.
“You always were yes,” he said, smile wistful as he clearly recalled their summers together. It felt surreal to finally have someone in his life again, who would remember him as a kid and not just a teen and he cherished it greatly.
“And yet somehow you got even taller.”

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:37 pm 

Even though Sirius hadn't said anything of value, it still sent a thrill down Remus' spine, unable to stop smiling at the sentiment. Remus hadn't seen Sirius in a decade, making even the most mundane conversation feel like it was much too intimate to have randomly at a bar. Remus could practically see Sirius reminisce on their childhood, and Remus could hardly contain the joy he felt knowing he was remembered.
"Yeah," Remus agreed, no way around the fact that he had grown taller than either of them probably expected. Remus enjoyed it, knowing it gave him a degree of anonymity, and Sirius didn't seem displeased by it, either.
Remus thought Sirius had grown to be stunning beyond comprehension, though part of it was just how happy he looked, not only now but at the garage, too. Remus wanted to return the compliment, but fell short when trying to put it into words.
"Listen," he instead started, finally shifting enough to momentarily break eye contact; for a moment, Remus failed to recognize their surroundings.
"I know you're here with someone, so I don't want to keep you -" that was a plain lie, and as his eyes returned to Sirius, Remus wondered if that had been apparent. A tentative smile tugged at the corners of his mouth. "Do you maybe want to - get a pint some day? I'd really like if we could get back in touch."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:22 pm 

A sudden panic overtook Sirius, realising that maybe their moment was over and that Remus wanted to return to his friends far more than he wanted to hang out with him. Not one to take no for an answer though, Sirius simply shook his head at that, desperate to keep Remus around a little longer at least.
“Screw them, let me get you a pint right now,” he said, knowing that he could hang out with James and Lily at any time. This felt so limited to him, almost as if he was going to lose Moony the second they left the bar again, so he wanted to be able to make the most of it. Thus, he wanted to make the most of what time he was sure that he could actually get together with Remus.
“It’s just James and his wife, I can hang out with them whenever,” he said with a shrug, before he turned towards the bartender, wanting to get his attention such that he could get both of them something to drink.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:55 pm 

Remus couldn't help but smile widely at how easily Sirius had dismissed his offer, feeling his heart swell at the unabashed interest Sirius had in keeping him around. Remus surely wasn't one to object, happy to make up for lost time immediately.
It was at the mention of James that Remus' mind stalled. The memory of Sirius' childhood classmate had never left Remus. In his adulthood, Remus was able to recognize James as everything Remus had been jealous of, and so he had remained present in Remus' subconsciousness, even years later.
"Really?" Remus blurted, still trying to process the fact that Sirius hadn't only kept in touch with James, but that the latter was married with a wife - and here.
Remus instinctively turned his head to where Sirius had come from, but never having seen James himself, Remus failed to recognize the exact table Sirius had left.
Part of him had always expected Sirius to have created a new life with James, having heard they had run off together the summer Sirius' suddenly hadn't come home. Suddenly confronted with that exact reality, yet not in the way Remus had expected, he didn't know what to say.
"Was he not -" he started, though he didn't know how to end it, so his eyes returned to Sirius with a blank question. He wasn't able to comprehend having kissed Sirius and not wanting to spend every waking hour with him, forcing him to reevaluate his understanding of Sirius' and James' relationship.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:18 am 

It had really taken mentioning James to make Sirius realise just how much had happened to the two of them in the 10 years they had been separated. They had both grown and changed as people and honestly, Sirius had all but forgotten about the crush on James that he used to harbour. It seemed like something of the past, but it made sense that Remus would remember.
Finally getting the attention of the bartender, Sirius ordered them two pints, before turning his attention back to Remus with a soft smile.
“Oh, no,” he stated, soft shake of his head. He could definitely see why Remus would think that he and James had made a new life together or something like that, and while it was partially true, it was definitely not in the way that he would have imagined either.
“When I ran away, his folks took me in. Treated me like a son,” he said with a warm smile, having nothing but love for the Potters. Even if he had elected to keep his name, he still viewed the Potters as his family and not the Blacks.
“He’s my brother more than anything else.”

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:50 pm 

Remus nodded at that, and while the missing detail still made it hard to comprehend, Remus did understand. It left an easy smile at his lips.
"That's lovely," Remus encouraged, genuinely happy to hear everything had worked out for Sirius. While Sirius had left him a note explaining that he was leaving on his own accord, Sirius hadn't offered any concrete clues as to what that meant in actuality. The first year after Sirius disappeared, Remus had often wondered if Sirius had even known where he would go, when leaving his parental home. It eased some worry Remus didn't realize he still carried with him.
"I'm happy to hear it worked out," he said in complete honesty, a smile at his lip. It had taken a few years, but Remus had eventually understood why Sirius had to leave, and hearing Sirius had been happier elsewhere fully justified the heartbreak Remus had felt when he had been left behind. "Seems like they did a good job as surrogate parents."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:53 pm 

Even if the decision to run away from home had felt very spur of the moment at the time, Sirius had never once regretted that decision.
The Potters really was his only family, and James was his brother in the deepest sense of the world. He had never felt more loved than he had while living with the Potters, and he knew that they were his true family; which also was why the adoption had meant so much to him.
“They’re my legal parents, actually,” he said with a crooked grin, knowing that he was probably being a little coy about it, but he figured that Remus knew enough about his parents to fill in the blanks.
It was in that moment the bartender placed the two pints in front of them, bringing Sirius back to where they were. It felt intimate to talk with Moony, even if they weren’t talking about anything particularly private, and Sirius realised that it was probably just because he wanted to have his time with Moony completely to himself.
“Well, cheers,” he said with a warm smile, as he took a hold of his glass.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm 

Remus was genuinely surprised by that revelation, but in the best way possible. Sirius deserved a loving family, and there was something heartwarming to know that James' family had wanted to offer that sense of belonging beyond letting Sirius stay with them.
While it took a moment, Remus smiled widely and brightly, thrilled to hear it, albeit feeling a tad silly for having thought so differently of James.
"Cheers, mate," he replied as he picked up the pint glass offered to him.
His eyes returned onto Sirius as he tipped the wrist, clicking the base of his glass against Sirius'. His smile had gone crooked by the time he retrieved his hand, grinning over the rim of the glass as he raised it towards his lip. "Congratulations."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:47 pm 

Sirius grinned as they clinked their glasses together and he raised it to his lips to take a sip. He felt absolutely giddy in Remus’ presence, finding that he had missed him far more than he had ever allowed himself to linger on.
“And you too,” he said, finding that both of them really seemed to have achieved what they had been missing the most from their lives.
Sirius really was genuinely happy that Moony seemed to have been living a good life, even if he hadn’t doubted that that would be the case. It made him feel less guilty about leaving him without anything but just a note, knowing that Moony managed to grow into the person he wanted to be.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:05 pm 

Sirius' comment, thoughtless as it might have been, had Remus absolutely beaming. His smile widened to the point where he had to lower the glass back down an inch, finding himself incapable of taking the sip when he had intended to. For the last few years, Remus had felt really good about where he had gotten, and the unexpected recognition of all that it had taken to get him there made his heart swell with joy.
"Thanks," he muttered, hardly containing his smile, but doing so enough that he could finally take the toasted sip. His skin felt so warm that the cold lager was enough to send a thrill down his spine.
Glancing behind himself, Remus oriented himself enough to sit down on the edge of the barstool behind him, seating himself almost a full inch lower than Sirius, changing their eyelevel. Something about it made Remus smile, eyes remaining on Sirius as he placed the pint back onto the bar.
"Can I ask you something?" he started, almost laughing, easily stringing up a line of conversation, expecting to have Sirius for the duration of their drink. "Why Doc? I've been thinking about it all month."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:15 pm 

Remus’ question made Sirius laugh.
He knew that that probably wasn’t the reaction that Remus had been hoping for, but he knew that the reason for his nickname was stupid and thus he felt stupid for answering. It also served to show just how long they had been out of touch with each other, because Sirius knew that his doctorate was certain to come as a surprise to his old friend.
It wasn’t that Sirius was ever super booksmart, nor that he cared too much about being good at school, but once he had gotten a safe home base, he had found that he was actually good at it. Good enough at it that he had decided to get a doctorate that he didn’t use.
“It’s a weird story,” he said with a warm smile, not sure it really was, but he found that he had no other way to preface this. “Long story short, it’s because the guys realised that I have a doctorate in mechanical engineering.”

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:33 pm 

It was quite possibly the misleading setup to Sirius explanation to blame, but Remus could not have guessed the end of that sentence. How casually Sirius noted that he had an engineering doctorate made it sound like a punchline to a joke Remus hadn't been expecting. It left his lips parted for a moment before a smile eventually replaced his expression of utter surprise.
"Do you really?" Remus pressed, floored, before he even got a chance to consider whether or not the phrasing of his question might be off-putting.
Thoughtlessly, Remus leaned forward in his seat, nothing to gain from it but a better understanding of his childhood friend. Remus had always been impressed with people capable of finishing a degree, and the fact that Sirius had finished at least three had him completely smitten, the smile remaining at the corner of his lip.
"Doctor," he mused, grinning as if explaining the joke to himself. "That's brilliant, Pads, well done."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:46 pm 

There was something completely intoxicating about the way that Remus seemed to be caught in his orbit, almost as if Sirius was the most interesting person in the room. Sirius knew himself to thrive on positive attention, especially when it came with praise, but there was something different about the attention he was getting from Remus, his Moony.
“Yeah, I really do,” he said, almost feeling a little shy about it all. He never really had thought too much of his doctorate, which also was why he brought it up so rarely. In fact, he rarely even connected his nickname at the garage with all the studying that he had been doing, so suddenly having to make the connection himself was a little odd.
“Thanks Moony,” he said, grinning from getting to use his nickname again. There was something cathartic about it, getting to feel that part of his childhood that he was certain was lost forever.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:07 pm 

Remus had quite possibly never been this taken by another person. Sirius had been bold and brash in most of their interactions, and yet he seemed shy to stand by his own accomplishments when faced with them. It was intoxicating.
"Why did you say it like that?" Remus challenged with a delay, still feeling more whiplash by the narration than the revelation itself. There was a small furrow between his brows as he leaned back in his seat, better getting the pint in his reach, finding the glass ice cold to the touch.
"It's not a weird story at all, you were such a smart child," he recalled, knowing himself to have been impressed by Sirius' ingenuity when they played; he still had several trinkets Sirius had patched together, seemingly out of thin air.
With his pint in his hand, Remus' smile changed, widening as if it were a private joke. "People just don't know you like that."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:15 pm 

Sirius found himself completely flustered at the praise, finding that he was still unused to receiving genuine compliments like that. Sure, Euphemia, Fleamont and James had mostly helped him to get over his aversions towards being praised, but still being praised for something that was so deep to his character seemed completely surreal to him.
“I don’t know,” he said, running a hand through his hair, just so that he had something to do with his hands that wasn’t reaching out for Remus.
“I liked it a lot, studying,” he added, feeling that he had to explain somehow, but he also wasn’t sure if that was what Remus really wanted him to do. “That’s why I did it for so long.”

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:24 pm 

Remus took a drink as Sirius elaborated. It wasn't something he had needed, though Remus could probably listen to Sirius speak about anything without any certain aim. When Remus had known Sirius, Sirius had always seemed excited at the prospect of going to school, and it didn't surprise Remus that such positive feelings translated to a drive to learn as much as possible.
"It's really impressive," Remus wanted to make clear, no matter the charm behind the almost juvenile simplistic explanation as to how Sirius ended up with a doctorate.
"I didn't - I mean I didn't even finish a year at uni," he shared, as if to give a point of reference. While Remus didn't dislike learning, he, in contrary to Sirius, hated school growing up. Despite the implications that thought carried, Remus' smile still quirked, unaffected by it. "Maybe you're just brilliant."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:25 am 

Sirius distracted himself by taking another drink from the beer, feeling so absolutely caught up in Remus and how their conversation was going. Anything he learnt about Remus seemed exciting, considering that there was a large gap in his knowledge of his old friend.
“Or maybe I’m just lucky that I like learning like that,” he added, warm smile on his lip as he looked at Remus with great interest. He really wanted to reach out and touch him, but felt unsure how welcome the touch would actually be. He hadn’t checked with the hug either, but this seemed different somehow and Sirius didn’t want to overstep this early.
“Because I happen to know that you are brilliant too.”

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:39 am 

__

Remus had been excited to see that Sirius had wanted to stick around for longer than a drink; they had probably shared another two over the course of their conversation, though Remus barely remembered having them, only aware of the fact that he hadn't wanted it to end. There was 10 years of life lived Remus wanted to share with Sirius, and like wise wanted to hear about. Sirius had disappeared so abruptly that Remus could have asked him to narrate his life day by day, finding such joy in getting to know Sirius all over.
Remus didn't fully regain any sense of time or space until Kingsley suddenly appeared in the corner of his eye. Turning towards him, his expression was blank with lack of understanding, as if he didn't recognize the man towering in front of him. Kingsley just met his eye grinning, offering Remus' his coat.
It was clear that, while Remus did take it, he had failed to gather his thoughts, his attention still drunkenly on Sirius. He parted his lips, but never got to phrase a question.
"We're heading out," Kingsley graciously explained, humoured on Remus' behalf. He had already taken a step back, sending Sirius a polite smile, before directing his parting words towards Remus. "I'll see you Monday, Remus."
"Yeah, I'll see you," Remus blinked, a sheepish grin growing, having barely remembered that he had arrived with Kingsley and Lewis in the first place.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next