All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 709 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 36  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:20 pm 

Blog: View Blog (0)

Despite the attempt Remus had made to compose himself, it was past 2 am. and his shirt was wrinkly beyond help. It was unlikely that he’d cross paths with anyone when filtering through campus, and yet he had stopped in the foyer bathrooms to straighten himself out. Remus knew it was psychological, simply a futile effort into reaffirming the line between two realities.
In the mirror, Remus had looked tired but alive, cheeks and lips still flushed from the night.
Hoping to slip into the shower and into bed without waking Black, Remus had shrugged off his coat in the corridor, carrying it draped over his arm. Hand still on the handle, Remus pushed the door open with his shoulder, a stable and steady motion that would prevent the hinges from catching.
Any effort put into being silent immediately went out the window; turning into the light of a still-awake Black’s reading lamp, Remus jumped, a curse escaping him.
“Sorry -” he drew back, voice still too soft given that they were both awake. He cleared his throat, turning his back towards Black to hang his coat on the hook on the door.
When he continued, his voice was more steadfast. “Thought you’d be asleep.”

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:35 pm 

This body is a vessel for my mayhem and as long as I can perform bafoonery it doesn’t matter if this stomach is flat or not

When the door opened and Remus appearing in the doorway, Sirius finally looked up from his work, for the first time in hours.
He wasn’t exactly sure what state he had expected to see his flatmate in, but the one he saw definitely wasn’t it. Sirius had always found Remus to be an attractive fella, but as he stood there, clearly freshly shagged, he was more attractive than ever.
“Yeah, sorry,” he said with a soft grin on his face, exhaustion settling over him as he realised just how late it had to be for Remus to return in such a state.
“Lost track of time I guess, sorry for frightening ya,” he added as he leant back into his chair, stretching his arms over his head.
“What time is it?”

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:04 am 

The fact that Black was chatty was frankly worse than the fact that he was awake, flooding Remus’ mind and body with an acute feeling of exhaustion. Hands to his face, Remus rubbed at his eyes as he turned into the room, hoping that it’d conceal the fact that, at some point this evening, Remus had been high. He certainly no longer was.
“I dunno,” he muttered, blinking into the light with pink eyes, as he moved to his bed. “Late.”
If Black didn’t know the time, Remus wasn’t keen on admitting just how late it was, knowing it would be even harder to explain his late arrival if Black realized just how late it had gotten.
“If you’re awake anyway I’m gonna have a shower,” he instead stated. Avoiding meeting Black’s eye, Remus had bent forward, undoing the laces of his shoes, toeing them off by the door. “The catalogues are in a state; I’m covered in dust.”

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:32 pm 

This body is a vessel for my mayhem and as long as I can perform bafoonery it doesn’t matter if this stomach is flat or not

Sirius hummed and nodded at that, not too keen on actually knowing what time it was either, feeling more than sure that it was far too late.
“Go right ahead,” he said with a soft smile, figuring that it likely wouldn’t have disturbed him even if he had been sleeping either. It was still nice that Remus would think to take that into consideration, and he couldn’t help but appreciate that.
Now though, as he had moved away from his work, the exhaustion seemed to hit him like a mallet and he realised that he should probably get a couple of hours sleep as well.
“I’ll probably head to bed as well.”

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:14 pm 

Remus nodded, eager to slip out of view. He felt done being perceived for the day, and if Black offered him an out, Remus was happy to make a run for it, gathering his pajamas from his bed.
“Goodnight, then,” he muttered, sending Black a small and tight smile his way, before quickly slipping into the bathroom and shutting the door behind him.

Remus had allowed himself a long shower, redrawing the bounds of his own body under scalding hot water. It was too late, his mind fuzzy, and still he had stalled in the bathroom, lingering with dressing and brushing his teeth until no sounds were audible from the other side of the door.
It wasn’t that Black was unpleasant - he rarely was, really. Remus had simply already done his share of feigning interest in strangers, and he’d much rather slip into bed without having to engage in polite conversation. Having brushed his teeth twice for good measure, Remus finally felt confident that Black had settled in for the night.
When Remus opened the door, he soon realized that Black had done no such thing.
Finding him there he left him, Black remained slumped over his work. It made Remus falter in the doorway, surprised, and having to readjust his approach.
With an exhale, Remus forfeited his reluctance.
“You’re still at it?” he asked, barely conversationally; simply because remaining quiet felt more awkward. Remus had crossed the room, tossing his clothes in his hamper before taking a seat on his bed.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:29 am 

When Remus had turned to take a shower, Sirius had decided to finish the thought that he had been about to write down before going to bed. However, once he got started down the line of thought again, he found it incredibly hard to stop, wanting to just keep going on the good streak that he had going for him.
It was only when he heard the door to the bathroom open again and Remus talked to him that he realised for just how long he had been sitting again.
“Yeah, reeled me right back in,” Sirius stated as he put his pen back down, rubbing his hands over his face as he realised just how tired he was. He really should have just gone to bed when Remus went to shower, but it was difficult for him to put his dissertation away.
He got up from his chair and finally turned to look at his flatmate again, a tired smile on his lips as he saw that Remus was completely ready for bed. They really should call it a night the both of them.
“Better head to bed, now that I am distracted,” he added while unbuttoning his shirt, getting the last button as he finished his sentence and pushed it off his shoulders. He pulled the undershirt over his head before turning to grab his pyjamas from the bed, exposing the fact that his chest, upper arms and some of his upper back was entirely covered by tattoos.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:33 am 

The way their bedroom sets were mirrored purposefully had their desk placed completely out of the other’s view, allowing for little distractions when seated at them. The same hadn’t been possible for the placement of their beds.
The timing of their evening was once again off. While Remus could reasonably linger in the bathroom, little could be done to avoid getting into bed; certainly nothing that would entertain Remus for as long as it took Black to ready himself for the night.
Crawling beneath the covers, Remus relaxed into bed the same moment Black drew off his vest, revealing an unexpected spattering of ink against pale skin - or what little showed of it. It stopped Remus’ shoulders from fully easing into pillows, caught off guard.
Remus wasn’t a stranger to tattoos, and yet Black’s was nothing like what he had ever seen. Sirius Black was the epitome of being proper, in his crisp shirts and neat buns, and though this revelation felt completely out of left field, the quality and planning of the ink was perfectly in line with what Remus had come to expect.
Despite the evening Remus had had, he felt uncomfortably matronly, tucked in bed with Black undressing too-perfectly in his line of sight. He, however, found it hard not to.
“That happens,” he muttered, too-late for it to be coherent; he hadn’t even wanted to answer, though he felt like it justified his persistent attention. He wasn’t gawking, they were having a conversation.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:21 pm 

“Seems to happen more and more to me,” Sirius said with a crooked grin, as he turned to properly look at Remus, who had slid under the covers, looking completely ready for sleep.
Sirius started buttoning the pyjama top, finding it more difficult than anticipated due to the exhaustion making his vision swim and his fingers sloppy. He did succeed in getting the top buttoned though and he slid into the bottoms before sliding under the covers in his own bed.
“Goodnight Remus,” he stated before turning off his desktop lamp.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:58 pm 

__

Mulligan liked this way of teaching, Remus had come to notice, the way that the old professor encouraged them not only to speak their theories out loud but to challenge one another’s. It did little to quell Remus’ ingrained competitiveness. Usually, Remus paid careful attention, weaving through the arguments in search of unjust assumptions but this Monday morning, his mind was pitifully distracted.
Sirius Black was at the blackboard, passionately and confidently going on about the properties of ionized radiation, and though Black was too far ahead with his dissertation to make his presentations even remotely flawed, Remus was acutely aware of the root of his distraction.
Chin propped up on his hand, a knuckle at his lips, Remus had all but convinced himself that he could see the shadow of ink beneath the white cotton of Black’s shirt.
It came in flashes, the TA turning towards the board in a way that played tricks on Remus’ mind, an outstretched arm to annotate something pulling at the fabric enough to make Remus’ eyes flicker away from the equation. He never felt sure, though, and much to his dismay Remus realized the sight of Black’s bare torso had pitifully burned itself into his brain.
Remus turned his face into his hand, rubbing at his eyes as though he’d be able to wash both his corneas and conscience clear.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:55 pm 

While Sirius had enthusiastically agreed when Mulligan had suggested he present his thesis for the class, he had found that the reality of actually doing had been quite daunting. It didn’t matter to Sirius that the students in Mulligan’s class were a couple of years behind him, because he still had to make his thesis understandable and, most importantly, be able to defend it.
To his own relief, he found that the presentation was running smoothly, feeling confident in his topic in a way that was still new to him and finding that he got a good response for the class. He has been so focused on making a good effort on the presentation that he only noticed how Remus’ gaze seemed to linger on him towards the end.
At first he felt certain that he imagined it, that Remus was simply following along in his presentation, but it didn’t take long for Sirius to realise that Remus’ gaze did indeed fall on him rather than the blackboard. It wasn’t something that Sirius had thought he would find as thrilling as he did, even if he was slowly coming to yearns with the fact that he found his flatmate attractive.
He told himself that he wasn’t going to linger on it, but he already knew that this was going to be something that was going to be difficult for him to let go.
“Thank you, gentlemen,” Sirius stated as he was through with the round of questions that he had allowed.
“As always, you’re free to come find me if you have any further questions or require assistance,” he explained, knowing that they likely wouldn’t, but he still liked to offer.
As Mulligan again took his place in front of the blackboard, Sirius made his way to sit among the students, sending his flatmate a friendly smile as he took the seat next to him.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:52 am 

Black’s departure from the blackboard was accompanied by a polite, little applause, the four students in the audience all equally exhausted at the notion of just how much work laid ahead for them to get to that point themselves.
Mercifully released by his own trance, Remus was finally able to tear his gaze off of Black, instead straightening his posture, aimlessly preparing for class to begin.
It shouldn’t have surprised him that no such grace would ever be bestowed upon him, finding that he really hadn’t done anything deserving of absolution.
Glancing up at the movement in his peripheral vision, there was a brief moment of exhaustion visible in his gaze before he composed himself, drawing his work closer to allow Black space to settle himself.
“Well done,” he muttered below the sound of Mulligan unraveling Black’s equations at the board, restating which parts were original to Black’s thesis and which built atop of other scientists’s work, speaking of him with high praise.
Remus didn’t need to have paid much attention to the subject matter Black had presented to know it was spectacularly clever, no matter how annoying it might be to admit.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:56 pm 

The praise coming from Remus, no matter how small it was, caused a broad grin to spread on Sirius’ lips. He so very much crawled any and all amounts of praise that he could get, especially when it came to his thesis. He knew that not a lot of people would be able to even comment on his thesis, much less know whether or not he was actually any good.
That just meant that hearing Remus talk of his work and not think that it was completely insane felt like a huge boost to him.
“Thanks, mate,” Sirius muttered, keen to keep his voice down and not disturb professor Mulligan in his teachings.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:02 am 

_____

Remus had been at the library for hours without feeling like he had gained any clarity. Logically he understood it was perfectly reasonable that he hadn’t; a doctorate was a monumental amount of work spread across several long years, and seeing steady linear progress was simply naive.
Remus really wished that he could, though.
Having spent days fiddling with even a rough equation to describe particle decay, Remus had gone through piles of scratched out note paper. As the afternoon drew to an end, Remus had sacrificed a few torn corners, on them writing gists of theoretical operators, no numbers or identifiers on any of the slips.
Hand on his temple, he thoughtlessly moved the operators among one another, rearranging them in order and relation. Every now and then he stalled for long enough to annotate their order, hesitantly drawing a rough estimation of the graph it would produce.
Pen hovering above the paper, Remus all but forfeited for the day, fatigued and discouraged by the seemingly endless options.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:39 am 

Sirius had been rushing through most of his days, running from meetings with advisors and Mulligan to discuss how best to help the class forward in their works. It was only now that he had the time to stop by the library, still feeling high strung from how fast he had had to run, and go pick up the new literature the librarian, a sweet elderly woman named Edna, had been so lovely to get for him.
With his arms stacked with new books, he was considering whether to take his reading back to his dorm or get right into it at the library, when he spotted a familiar shape at one of the table.
Despite not knowing Remus that well yet, Sirius could still tell that his flatmate was frustrated by whatever work he was sitting with. It made Sirius remember the hours he had spent almost pulling out his own hair and it made him approach him gingerly.
“Mind if I join you?” He asked, clearly not expecting a no, as he placed the books on the table, a little away from Remus’ work, and put his book back down on the floor next to a free chair.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:17 pm 

Black had snuck up on Remus, catching himself in straightening his posture, a thoughtless attempt to appear more composed. It was, if he was honest, not necessarily an invitation, but it became apparent that Black hadn’t really asked for one, anyway.
“No,” Remus breathed regardless, slumping back into his chair. “Go ahead.”
His eyes flickered to his material, as though the subtle change of perspective should reveal something. He was sick and tired of looking at it, was the truth, and he might have tossed it all into his bag and gone home, was he not suddenly overcome the urge to perform for an audience.
He twirled his pen in his hand, restless.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:29 pm 

At the confirmation, Sirius sat down on the chair across from Remus, a soft smile on his face as he did so.
He recognised the exact position that Remus was sitting in, knowing that he hadn’t looked much different two years ago when he was just starting out, and was probably equally frustrated by the entire ordeal.
“Stuck?” He asked, not as much as a sliver of malice in his voice, instead a slightly worried expression on his face to go with the question.
He didn’t want to antagonise Remus any amount, knowing that it had to be frustrating to know that Sirius was that much further ahead of him, but Sirius still wanted to do what he could do to help Remus get ahead. This was both because he was actually Remus’ TA, but also because he knew that Remus already had a good dissertation, he just had to properly find it.
“If you want, we can brainstorm on it for a moment, I know that that helped me heaps.”

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:42 pm 

Remus sent Black a few sideways glances, already deep in thought. It left him with a blank expression, a moment of confusion before his brows shifted, seeming almost sheepish, reluctant to admit to it.
“Yeah, maybe,” he dismissed on instinct, but there was an air of gratitude about his tone. He appreciated the offer, and while Black was certainly among the few people qualified to help Remus out of a rut, he wasn’t sure he could stomach it.
Shifting in his seat, he stretched, rolling his shoulders back into place.
“I might just be getting ahead of myself,” he exhaled, glancing over at Black, looking at any signs of malice but didn’t find any.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:51 pm 

Even if Sirius was desperate to get to help Remus out, he also knew that it had to be on Remus’ own terms if it was going to do any good. So rather than push Remus to accept the help that he clearly needed, Sirius just smiled warmly at him as he reached out for one of his books.
“It’s easy to do that,” he said in a kind voice, feeling so deeply for Remus that he almost couldn’t bear it.
There was no doubt in his mind that Remus was going to make it through this, knowing that he was far ahead from his peers and in a far better place.
“At least you are in a position to be ahead,” he added, wanting Remus to know too that he wasn’t at lost as he maybe thought.
“I had a brief meeting with Dubois last week, and I’m not supposed to say anything, but let me just tell you that you are in a good place.”

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:36 pm 

Remus’ attention was effectively piqued by that, eyes once again darting to Black with interest. The comparison meant nothing, likely just a friendly encouragement, but besides Mulligan himself, Black was the only one who could realistically speak on the matter.
Seemingly catching himself lingering on it, Remus shrugged, downplaying the way he had perked up.
“Thanks,” he exhaled, eyes to the paper as he fiddled with his pen. There was probably a greater sense of genuine gratitude audible in his voice than he had intended.
Silence filled the air between them, broken by the sound of Remus’ turning his pen, tapping it against the table top.
Eventually, he couldn’t help himself.
“The others are struggling, too?” he asked too sincerely, eyes once again to Black.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:15 pm 

With what little interactions they’d had, Sirius couldn’t help but grin at Remus’ sudden interest, feeling content that he had unlocked the secret to his flatmate’s interest. It felt a little bit like cheating, having to use confidential information that he had, but he figured that it was no harm done as long as he kept it as vague as possible.
“Majorly,” he confided, looking up at Remus again, grin still on his lips.
It wasn’t a lie either, Sirius knew better than anyone just how much the other now phd students were struggling with their thesis, making him feel confident that most of them weren’t going to make it through the first semester, much less the entire dissertation.
“Again, I’m technically not supposed to tell you anything, but Mulligan is always relieved when you come in, because what you say at least makes sense,” Sirius admitted, maybe exaggerating a bit, but more or less just telling Remus what Mulligan confides in him.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 709 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 36  Next