All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 709 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 36  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 3:57 pm 

Blog: View Blog (0)

___

It wasn’t often Remus was engaged for an entire night, and fewer yet were the mornings where he opted to swing by to get some food. Usually, he would rush back home, hoping to make it to bed for an hour or two before his dormmate rose, only to subsequently spend the entire day spent and jetlagged. Now, knowing that Black knew, Remus was less in a rush to make up a justification for spending the day in bed.
He had taken a seat in the dining hall, quietly having his breakfast, still settling back into himself as he nursed the second cup of tea out of the pot he had brought with him to the table.
He hadn’t changed his clothes from the night, and the hall around him was still only sparsely populated, he once again felt reassured by his approach, his shirt and slacks rumpled but otherwise entirely anonymous and appropriate. He felt quietly reassured no one would even spare them a second thought.
That was, unless perhaps Black. Remus’ gaze had unfocused only to resettle at an approaching silhouette; as soon as his mind caught up to him, a sheepish smile pulled at this lips, less sure that Black wouldn’t be able to piece things together. Surprisingly, Remus didn’t mind, although he obscured his smile with the rim of his cup.
“Morning,” he greeted into the china, drowning the grin with a sip.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 11:05 am 

This body is a vessel for my mayhem and as long as I can perform bafoonery it doesn’t matter if this stomach is flat or not

Sirius’ original plan had been to just grab whatever food he could easily eat in the dorm and then return immediately. That plan, however, was quickly squashed when he saw that Remus was sitting alone at one of the tables. Even if they hadn’t lived together, Sirius was certain that he would be able to tell that he hadn’t been home and he did his best to not overthink how good of a look being rumpled was for Remus.
By the time Sirius had gathered something to eat and a cup of coffee, it seemed that Remus had seen him as well, something that made Sirius smile.
“Morning,” he said as he took a seat across from his flatmate, not even bothering with asking if he minded the company.
The air between them was surprisingly easy, both of them aware of where the other had been the night before and feeling no reason in explaining anything to each other. It was refreshing in a way that Sirius hadn’t really expected, having been used to being able to talk to James about these things, but somehow this felt entirely different.
“You alive?”

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 12:54 pm 

The question made something in Remus’ gaze shift, still not entirely used to the fact that this was something they knew about each other; not even though Black sat across from him fresh faced, and looking like he always had. Remus watched him with meticulous interest, trying to decide if remnants of makeup still darkened Black’s lash line, or if his lashes had always been this full.
“Of course,” he dismissed, a juvenile smile pulling at his lips despite his best attempts to drown it.
While no one was immediately within earshot, he wasn’t in any rush to appear like he had had a long night out. Nor, for that matter, as though he had had a bad night, still feeling like he needed to compulsively remind Black that he had no aversions to his job.
“You aren’t?” Remus challenged, interested in knowing if Black had asked out of sympathy.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 2:35 pm 

This body is a vessel for my mayhem and as long as I can perform bafoonery it doesn’t matter if this stomach is flat or not

Just how well Remus seemed to be took Sirius a little aback, feeling completely knackered himself, but then again, he knew painfully little of Remus’ profession and how hard it actually was on him.
To the question, Sirius simply shrugged and took a sip from his coffee, having spent the entire night dancing and being in a persona, so he was happy that he technically didn’t have to do any studying.
“I’ll get back to you on that once I’ve finished this,” he stated, lifting up the mug he was still holding in his hands. After all, even though they worked from the same club, Sirius knew that their actual job had remarkably little in common, so maybe it wasn’t too weird that it would have a different effect on them.
“But I feel pretty knackered, not gonna lie,” Sirius admitted, having definitely been able to tell that he hadn’t performed for a while and it had taken a lot out of him.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 3:05 pm 

The little acknowledgement of Black’s cuppa had thoughtlessly made Remus shift, straightening his posture to read for the kettle. Serving himself another cup of tea, Remus’ eyes darted to Black at the clarification, his interest piqued.
“Yeah?” he prompted, though he came up short for any viable follow-up questions. The subject still felt touchy, entirely too intimate and private to discuss over breakfast in the dining hall, but Remus was dying to know how Black’s night had progressed, having left him in such a state.
It was only then and there that Remus felt any sense of disappointment having left the bar too early to watch Black perform, but as his gaze flickered off of Black’s eyes, it seemed to strike him all at once. The memory of Black done up and the name Puppy immediately came to mind.
Briefly, Remus’ met Black’s eyeline, a knowing little smile pulling at his lips as his eyes almost immediately ducked to serve himself some milk. “Late night?”

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 3:53 pm 

There really was a great sense of intimacy in getting to talk about these kinds of things with someone, even if they still had to be subtle in their ways.
It was just a relief to know that someone knew something like this about you, but also that they would have no desire to ever give you away. It wasn’t something that Sirius had had since James, and yet this was all new, knowing that Remus understood in a different way.
“Yeah, very late,” he said with a crooked grin, taking a large sip from his coffee as he tried to become slightly more human, very keen on getting at least a little bit of studying in, his late night to be damned.
“Dragged out a little in the end so I got in later than I planned.”

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 4:23 pm 

When Remus’ attention returned onto Black, his gaze was loaded with interest and questions he didn’t ask. Having yet to get any sleep, their night didn’t feel that far removed to Remus, and so, the coy daytime answers Black gave raised more questions than they answered.
It made Remus smile, finding this added nuance to Black’s character greatly refreshing.
“Right,” he concurred without engaging despite being very curious as to what had dragged Black’s night out. “It happens.”

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 4:46 pm 

Sirius couldn't help but chuckle at that, unsure if it really did happen as much as Remus seemed to imply, but he also figured that it was probably more likely to happen in Remus’ line of work rather than his. It still felt like good fun that he didn’t have to provide a lot more context than what he had for Remus to understand.
“It sure seems to,” he added with a soft shrug, before finishing his cup of coffee. It had little effect on the exhaustion that was settling in his bones and he was trying to come to terms with the fact that he might not get a lot of studying done tonight.
“I had hoped to go to the library later, but right now that doesn’t seem likely.”

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 5:41 am 

Remus nodded at that, finding it to be reasonable. He himself had only stopped by the dining hall to decompress from the night, taking a moment to ground himself in being alone in his skin.
“I’m heading back to catch up on some sleep,” he said, the same tone of voice as if he announced his plans to catch up on reading. It wasn’t a discouragement, pretty certain he could sleep through Black studying in the same room.
Not certain how long he wanted to linger here, Remus leaned back in his chair, thoughtlessly covering the simple watch on his wrist, turning the clock face outwards after having worn it facing inwards for the night. He glanced down at the hour while doing so. “I’m alive but tired.”

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 10:35 am 

____
In the end, Sirius had made it to the library, deciding that it was better to not disturb Remus too much while he was trying to sleep.
It didn’t meant that he was actually getting a lot of work done, the cup of coffee next to him long empty, but finding that he had no real desire to go for a refill. If he was smarter, he would just leave it be for today and go do something else, hell maybe even get a nap, but by now he was stubborn.
His work was spread out across half of one of the large tables in the library, which was quiet, even for a Sunday, and he was doing some basic calculations that he needed for his formulas to work.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 11:30 am 

Remus felt entirely more human having gotten a shower and a few hours of sleep. The lines felt more firmly drawn between day and night; in an attempt to further reaffirm it, he had dressed in fresh slacks and a new shirt, adding a cotton blazer for good measure.
While Remus wouldn’t have minded if Black had preferred to study at the dorm, it had been a relief spending a few moments alone. Looking back, he had had his breakfast in a cloud of adrenaline, a last little spike before he eventually crashed. Though Remus felt no embarrassment regarding his job, he did feel a little embarrassed thinking back on how reckless he might have come across.
However, not enough that Remus didn’t glance around the room for him, when he a few hours later ventured into the library. Remus found him hunched over his work.
It wasn’t that Remus had any hopes of a productive afternoon, his day upturned as it was. It hadn’t made a different that he had swung back around the dining hall for a sweet bite, anyway, and it had been a split second decision to get two chocolate scones rather than one.
Remus approached Black’s table, and in lieu of a greeting, he placed the paper bag on a bare square inch next to the other.
“Here,” Remus muttered, courteously low but not unkind. As he retrieved his hand, he unhooked the bag strap off of his shoulder, stepping aside to place it on the seat next to Black, at the table end.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 2:51 pm 

While it was a rather mundane task Sirius had busied himself with, he still jumped when a paper bag was suddenly placed on the table in front of him. He looked up and almost immediately a warm smile washed over his features, having not expected to see his flatmate before returning to their dorm.
“For me?” Sirius asked, the smile still never leaving his features, having not realised just how much he craved that little pick me up. It also helped that he now felt that he had a reason to not focus on his work for a little while, feeling that he had to talk with Remus now that he was there.
“Sleep well?” He asked as he dug into the bag and the scone that Remus had been kind enough to get for him.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 2:36 pm 

The question made Remus glance over at Black, uncertain if he really needed that clarification to proceed, much preferring to offer the pastry without any added conversation.. When he helped himself without further encouragement, Remus seemed to relax in the interaction, ducking his gaze as he shrugged off his blazer.
“Yeah, thanks,” he muttered, conscious of the quiet around them. This, too, was a new interaction for them, feeling his own mood fighting to revert back to something more reserved; Remus had to make a conscious decision not to build back walls between them.
Pulling his bag out of the chair, Remus took a seat in its place, trying to remind himself that he had sought out Black’s company for a reason - whatever that might’ve been.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 4:06 pm 

As Sirius took the first bite into his scone, he slid the bag towards Remus as well, having taken note of the two scones in the bag and figuring that he was going to want the other one.
He leant back against his chair with a content smile, having already settled on not getting a lot done today, but somehow it felt nicer to not get a lot done while having company. Hell, it might even inspire him to be even slightly more productive.
“I’m glad,” he said with a nice smile, and he really and sincerely meant it. He knew that both of their jobs tended to be tough and he was glad that Remus felt comfortable in getting the rest that he needed, even while sharing his dorm with Sirius.
“What are you working on right now?”

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 3:16 am 

Remus was barely settled in the chair when Black pushed back the bag, making Remus’ eyes dip. A smile ghosted at the corner of his mouth, barely there for an instance, but a quiet acknowledgement that Black hadn’t interpreted both pastries as his for the taking.
It didn’t particularly prepare Remus for the follow up question. Frankly, he felt like his dissertation still belonged somewhere in a different plane of existence.
“Right now?” he fumbled, a smile once again pulling at his lips, as he leaned forward to accept the paper bag. He lifted it to an eye level, leaning back in his chair. “This.”
Fishing out the napkins, he tossed them in Black’s direction, before using the bag itself as a wrapper for the scone, knowing paperwork was in his near future.
Remus’ eyes flickered between the bag and Black, looking down when he asked. “You?”

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 11:46 am 

There was a new ease in their interactions that Sirius had known not to be there before. It made it easier to just relax and enjoy his scone, not thinking too much about the work that was in front of him. He would have plenty of time to take a proper crack at his readings later, so for now it was with very little guilt he realised that he wouldn’t get far today.
“It’s busywork really,” Sirius stated with a shrug, grabbing a napkin from the table and wrapping around the scone he was still holding.
“Just trying to get a sense of not having wasted my day, you know?” He explained, feeling fairly certain that Remus would be able to relate.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 4:32 am 

Remus nodded at that as he chewed his bite, a quiet contemplation about him. Personally, Remus had every intention of working into the evening to make up for the lost hours before lunch, but Black was years ahead with his work, and had every good reason to take it easy on himself.
“Yeah,” he mused, still feeling like he had yet to shift into gear. The scone did help, a rare treat he allowed himself on just this kind of afternoon.
He took another bite, looking at Black as he chewed it.
This was just like any other day at the library, except for all the ways that it wasn’t. It felt particularly off-set by the sight of Black eating the scone, feeling some sort of way knowing what cash had paid for it. Black must have known too, but Remus saw no issue in the other’s expression; Remus’ own didn’t waver, either.
“I’m sure you can afford an easy afternoon,” he added, almost entirely disconnected from the conversation, by then.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 12:43 pm 

The comment brought a soft smile to Sirius’ lips, not sensing any malice in Remus’ tone, even if he would definitely understand if the fact that he was ahead would make his flatmate a little bitter. To Sirius, they felt so much like equals that he regularly managed to forget that they weren’t actually at the same place.
He smiled over at Remus as he took a bite of his own scone, feeling comfortable in their interactions.
He had sincerely feared that Remus actually seeing him at work would have changed their way in being around each other, and while it had done that, Sirius found that it was in a positive direction. They had way less to hide from each other and that kind of openness did something so very good for them.
“I have a lot of sleepless nights to make up for.”

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 2:23 pm 

_______

When Remus made it back to the dormitory halls, it was well into the small hours of the morning. Despite being a weekend night, the campus was quiet and barren, any ordinary bar likely to have closed several hours ago. While Remus himself had been by the club, he had barely been there long enough to realize Black had been there, too; Remus had only just offered him his well wishes for the night before leaving with someone else.
In a stark contrast to the calm of the night, Remus felt fuzzy, overstimulated both physically and mentally.
It had been a brief walk back to campus; so short, in fact, that it had done very little to steady him, still feeling the pulse of adrenaline dully in his veins.
Assuming Black home and in bed, Remus had thought it kindest to unwind elsewhere, and despite the school’s prohibitions, Remus allowed himself a solitary smoke sitting on the doorstep of the dormitory entrance.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 2:39 pm 

For once, Sirius had decided to stay at the club after his performance, goaded by the promise of drinks and dancing from his fellow queens, and he had been feeling so high strung lately that he all but jumped at the chance. It also helped knowing that Remus wasn’t likely to be home in bed before him anyway, so he didn’t have to worry about disturbing him, not worry about just how well he’d manage to wash off the makeup at the club.
Once he reached the dormitories though, he was surprised to see Remus sitting outside on the doorstep, clearly having just sat there, judging by how close the ember of his cigarette was to his face. It brought a soft grin to Sirius’ smile, knowing that it was likely for his benefit that Remus hadnt went in yet.
“Mind company?” He found himself asking, voice a little too loud as he approached his flatmate, but that did nothing to dissuade the grin on his face.
Even with the walk from the club, Sirius could still feel the soft dulling of the alcohol in his system, having had more than his fair share of drinks during the night and while the cool night air did something to clear his mind, he could still feel the effects too powerfully.
As he stopped in front of Remus, he fished his own pack of cigarettes out of the back pocket of his jeans, having mostly had the idea to just go in to bed, but a cigarette was sounding like such a lovely idea right in that moment that he jumped at the chance.
“You just got back?”

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 709 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 36  Next