All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1963 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 99  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:31 pm 

This body is a vessel for my mayhem and as long as I can perform bafoonery it doesn’t matter if this stomach is flat or not

Blog: View Blog (0)

___
Just how much time had passed since Potter left the study, Draco really had no idea.
Comparing the two signatures shouldn’t really be that difficult, but Draco, a perfectionist at heart, had wanted to be meticulous. With making such an outrageous claim, he absolutely had to be able to show, without a shadow of a doubt, that Potter’s signature that changed.
It was only when he felt absolutely certain that the signatures were definitely both from Potter, yet also definitely different from one another, that he could lean back into his chair and breathe a sigh of relief.
It was, of course, terrible news.
There was no saying what it meant that Potter’s signature had changed so much over the past ten years, but it gave Draco something to go after and it was a lot more than what he had counted on having. This case was getting stranger and stranger and while Draco knew that something extremely bad was probably behind it, he couldn’t help but feel a little excited about it.
It was an exciting case, something he had never thought that he would ever get to see, much less be an active part of. It really gave a new dimension to his research and it seemed impossible that he would actually get to use his abilities.

Deciding that it was time to show Potter the result of his days work, Draco got up from his chair, stiffness in his legs witness of just how long he had been sitting in the chair.
He had no idea where to actually find Potter in the manor, but he figured that the kitchen was as good a place as any to go look for him; having found that Potter was there more often than not.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:39 am 

Displaced from his workplace and with nothing else to entertain him, Coote had graciously and discreetly retrieved the documents and half-written letters Harry had abandoned at his desk in the study. With an equal sense of boredom and obligation, Harry had spent another few hours finishing off his work for the week; he had, however, dropped his quill at soon as the clock struck 5, seeing no purpose in doing overtime, not even here.
It was painfully clear to Harry that he was just killing time until Malfoy had a verdict to give.

By the time the sun had dipped far enough in the sky for sunlight to flood through the kitchen doors, Harry had taken the liberty to seek it out, abandoning his work at the dinette. He had sat himself comfortably in a sunny spot by the open window, a cup of tea on the windowsill, when Coote appeared in the kitchen. The elf tentatively had presented Harry with his phone, awkwardly notifying Harry that it had been chiming in his bedroom for some time.
That had been a little while ago, and despite Harry continuously spelling his tea warm again, it had gone room temperature for the third time.
"No, I’m not there," Harry reiterated to the caller, eyes aimless to the garden. "That’s what I’m saying, it’s not that I’m not at the office, I’m not in London. I though you got that."
He thoughtlessly turned the teacup on its dish, first an inch clockwise and then back. Whatever was said on the other end, it made Harry exhale a hesitation.
"I wouldn’t count on it -" Another response, this time managing to make Harry break a smile, his voice kind despite the edge to his words. "That does sound like an inconvenience. Hopefully I'll be able to make it up to you."

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:05 pm 

This body is a vessel for my mayhem and as long as I can perform bafoonery it doesn’t matter if this stomach is flat or not

The sound of Potter’s voice soon alerted Draco that he indeed was in the kitchen, nothing particularly weird about hearing Potter talk, despite being alone in the room; Draco had allowed him to use the floo network after all, so he was likely just providing updates for work or something the like.
It was only when Draco got closer to the kitchen that he realised that the tone seemed far too intimate to be work, and while he had no idea how Potter spoke to his colleagues, he figured that that probably wasn’t the way.
Of course, Potter was allowed to use the floo for personal calls as well, yet when Draco entered the kitchen, Potter was sitting at the table, far removed from the fireplace with a dark rectangle in his hand. It wasn’t something that Draco had ever seen before, yet he still felt that he was interrupting something important, even if he didn’t exactly knew what.
Instead, he cleared his throat, making sure that Potter had seen him, before turning to get a glass of water, thus allowing Potter to finish what he was doing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:33 pm 

Harry tipped his head towards the sound, the expression on his face immediately bright and attentive; despite the grandness of the Manor, Harry knew it could only be Malfoy who entered, his expectations to the conversation already set.
He straightened his posture in his chair, Malfoy immediately more interesting than having to argue why wasn’t coming to something so trivial as pub night.
"Listen, Dan, I’ve got to go," Harry said quickly and absentmindedly, completely ungrounded in the conversation he was having and unbothered by the fact that he had cut him off mid-sentence.
Harry had already removed his phone from his ear before he spoke a delayed, "Bye" into the room, hanging up without any remorse. Nothing about his demeanour was sheepish, the quick pace of his goodbye not an attempt to hide anything from Malfoy.
Harry’s attention was entirely on Malfoy, and had been ever since he walked in. Currently, the other was making an unnecessary attempt to allow Harry his privacy. For a moment, it made Harry stall, figuring he could at least pretend to appreciate it.
"Did you finish?" he eventually asked, when it felt like a sufficient amount of time had passed; in real time, it couldn’t have been nothing more than a heartbeat, but to Harry it had felt like an eternity.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:41 pm 

Draco couldn’t help but feel a little guilty that Potter was ending his conversation so quickly after he had entered the kitchen. Sure, it was likely just a friend or a coworker who wanted to meet up or something, yet Draco still knew that he was the reason that Potter was even stuck at the manor in the first place.
It all felt incredibly messy and Draco was having a hard time figuring out which leg to stand on, wanting to work to get Potter out again quickly, but also respecting that he had other things going on.
“I did,” he stated, wringing his hands, glass of water abandoned on the table. He turned to look at Potter, who in turn had turned to look at Draco as well. It felt too familiar, too much like they had any business looking at each other, as if they knew each other.
“But there’s no rush, you can go ahead and finish your conversation if you’d like,” he stated, knowing that Potter was likely keen on hearing what Draco had to tell, yet Draco also wanted him to know that his results weren’t something that was going to change in the time that it took for Potter to finish a conversation.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:01 pm 

Harry’s immediate reaction was to frown, completely at a loss at Malfoy’s suggestion. Then, he huffed a chuckle. "Absolutely not."
There was nothing further from his mind than calling Dan back to continue a good-for-nothing conversation, his primary objection to Harry’s unavailability that he couldn’t use Harry’s Floo to get home from the pub, or whatever he had wanted to call it.
It took a delay of a moment or two for Harry to realize that Malfoy maybe hadn’t recognized the phone as, well, a phone. Without looking at it, Harry abandoned the phone on the windowsill, pushing it away from him, as if to underline the fact that it was no longer in use, nobody at the other end of the conversation. "Pub night’s gunna be entirely fine without me there to pay their tab."
In the same motion as he pushed the phone aside, Harry stood; he picked up the chair by the backrest, lifting it back to the dinette. "Come sit, I want to hear what you’ve come up with."

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:19 pm 

The invitation flustered Draco in a way that it really shouldn’t. It was his own home after all, so if he had wanted to sit in the first place, he could very well have done so. However, there was something in Potter’s tone that implored Draco to take the seat across from him, his hair hanging loose around his face, as he had forgotten his wand in his study.
It was absolutely nerve wracking having to tell Potter what he had found out, but also pretty exciting. After all, there wasn’t a researcher on earth who didn’t enjoy being right in their hypothesis, almost no matter what kind of horror being right could possibly imply.
In this particular case, it just opened up for a billion more questions for Draco, who had no idea how to answer those questions, but he felt that he at least had a place to start.
There was no good way to break the news to Potter though, and Draco found himself desperately searching for the right words. Already, he was very ill-equipped to talk with other people about his research, but this really was something else entirely.
“I was right,” he settled on, not sure if it was a great place to start, but he felt that that was the shortest way to tell Potter what he had found. “They are both definitely your signatures, but they do not match.”

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:33 pm 

Harry had taken a seat along with Malfoy, genuinely interested in what he had to say. As soon as Malfoy spoke, however, it all too quickly became painfully apparent that Harry might not actually have been prepared to hear it. Either it was the stark difference to the conversation he had just had with Dan, or the chill of no longer being in direct sun. Perhaps it was neither, but instead the dawning realisation that he hadn’t really expected Malfoy to be right.
It all summarized, Harry only blinked, surprised. Malfoy’s conclusion didn’t seem like it left any room for the fact that what Malfoy had observed was absolutely unheard of. Harry’s first instinct was to argue against it, but he found the simplicity of the statement to be disarming.
"Okay," he started, if only to let Malfoy know he had heard and, at least more or less, understood him.
Harry’s lips remained parted, but his mind was trying to process the news quicker than he was able to form a sentence.
"What does that mean?"
The question came slow, trying to translate Malfoy’s words into either consequences or symptoms. There was no real distrust behind the phrasing, though Harry, increasingly more on edge, needed Malfoy to defend the statement.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:50 pm 

Despite being the one to come up with the theory and being the one who had just spent hours comparing the two signatures, Draco really had no good answer to Potter’s question. It was completely unheard for someone’s signature to change and while Draco was glad that he hadn’t put out the theory only to be proven wrong, it had mostly just left him with more questions.
It was going to take a lot more work and a lot more research before Draco would have a proper answer as to what this meant, or even how it had happened in the first place. He had never heard of magic that could alter someone else’s magical signature, nor could he see much purpose in doing so, other than simply ruining Potter’s day.
It seemed like an awful lot of work for very little impact and it made no sense whatsoever to Draco.
“I don’t know,” he stated, not much for admitting it, Potter having probably hoped that the reason he had come up with the theory was because he had some idea as to why or how someone would do that.
“I have never seen something like this happen before.”

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:03 pm 

There was a brief flash of confusion across Harry’s expression, finding it difficult to understand the point of the conversation Malfoy had started if there were nothing else to it. It felt both heavy and pointless and Harry didn’t know how to digest the fact that Malfoy seemingly didn’t have any intention of carrying on speaking without being prompted to do so.
Harry had to swallow the knowledge that, despite Malfoy’s degree, this wasn’t St. Mungo’s. It was a dinette in a kitchen; maybe Harry was unfair to uphold it to prime medical standards.
"Is it –" he started, feeling more and more like they were playing charades. "- dangerous?"
Harry didn’t seem much affected by it, the briefness of Malfoy’s explanations making it hard to understand it as having any real-life consequences. In isolation, it sounded like maybe it would be resolved by updating his signature in the Ministry archives. For now, it was suspended in the weird limbo Malfoy Manor had become over the course of the last few days.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:19 pm 

Draco knew that it had to be terribly frustrating to Potter that he didn’t have anything more concrete to offer him, and that what little Draco could give him had to be dragged out of him. However, it was something so entirely new within the study of dark magic that Draco had noting to fall back on. He had to make up an entirely new area of study as he went, not something that was a first to him, but it was still terribly difficult and was going to take some time.
“Yes,” Draco stated, finding that to be one of the very few things that he was absolutely certain about. Even if he didn’t know what it meant, nor how it had happened, he knew that it was very dangerous and it could mean terrible things to Potter.
He had to figure out what had happened to Potter and how to reverse the effects on it. It was going to be a terrible process, but Draco was keen to get started and collecting his thoughts on the topic.
“So obviously I can’t let you leave until I figure out what is going on.”

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:03 pm 

Malfoy finally seemed to have struck a nerve with Harry, who had otherwise taken the news rather complacently.
"I’m sorry, how is that at all obvious?" he snapped, his voice doing a worse job of containing his annoyance than intended. While Harry understood that the topic was by any definition unexplored, he felt increasingly frustrated by Malfoy’s blasé approach; especially if he evidently had more information to give, but apparently only so when he could correct Harry.
Having no expectations of Malfoy actually answering, Harry took a moment to steep in his own annoyance, before inhaling an intent to contine in a more civil tone.
"Let me ask again," he reiterated, voice tense but audibly with the effort he put into keeping the dialogue and tone professional. His eyes were on Malfoy, having lost any interest in egging information out of Malfoy, but wanting to be respectful despite it all. "What does it mean that my signature has changed? Not for your research, but in practice."

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:34 pm 

It wasn’t that Draco had been unaware of the fact that Potter was used to getting his way, probably rarely having to ask most of the time; however, his tone still caught Draco off guard, realising just how frustrating it would have to be that he had so little concrete to offer Potter.
“Well, it means that something has fundamentally changed about your magic,” he stated, trying very hard to collect the thoughts that were flitting around in his head. There were a lot of them, his head running at a hundred miles per hour, trying to get anything to make sense. However, Draco was really trying to get it all to make enough sense to explain to Potter.
“I wish I had more copies of your signature, such that I could see if it was something sudden or something that has been happening over time,” he started, knowing that that was impossible, but if Potter wanted to hear his thoughts, he was going to get his thoughts.
“But something has clearly gotten stuck to your magic, something dark enough to change your signature so severely that wards don’t recognise you, and that combined with the magic circling your heart makes me believe that something very dangerous is going on and I think that your life may be in danger if I don’t do something quick.”

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:03 pm 

Though nothing Malfoy said was particularly good news, it did seem to dissipate some of the frustration Harry had felt towards Malfoy’s dismissive thee syllable replies. It was, however, swiftly replaced with what as a little twinge of genuine concern.
Harry tried so desperately to follow Malfoy’s radical change in approach, struggling to differentiate between information now that there was suddenly so much of it. The fact that his life was in danger was the only one that stuck out to him, and though it what that which lingered in his consciousness, he didn’t seem terribly scared of it.
"So why is it I can’t leave?" he asked, his annoyance no longer traceable in his voice. Harry spoke almost tentatively, as if he wasn’t sure Malfoy had actually explained it. "I know you’re a Healer, but should I not go to St. Mungo’s?"
There was an unspoken if I’m dying at the tail end of that question, understandable only in the way Harry’s brows quirked.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:21 pm 

When dealing with dark magic, it was almost a lot more complicated than it was with just about any other level of study. This was some of the darkest magic that Draco had seen since the war, unsure what exactly it meant to everything. It seemed implausible that Potter would have picked it up at a house with wards from the first war, but Draco also couldn’t see where else he would have been able to pick that up.
“I mean, you probably could,” he stated tentatively, not much to let Potter out of his sight, but if Potter preferred to be in the hands of proper healers, it wasn’t exactly like he could blame him for that. However, Draco also knew that there likely wasn’t anyone who were as qualified in studying dark magic in a person as he was, so it seemed stupid for Potter too eave.
“But you’d be going directly into an observation room at St. Mungo’s if you did,” he stated with an unusual level of authority. It was something he felt very strongly about, being unsure just how volatile the magic in Potter actually was.
“In fact, I am surprised that your wand is still taking orders from you. I fear what will happen if it suddenly decides that it won’t though.”

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:59 pm 

Malfoy was right in pointing that out; Harry wasn’t particularly interested in revisiting one of St. Mungo’s observation rooms. Warded so intensely they cancelled out sort of magic, Harry couldn’t imagine being stuck there for the time it would take staff there even how to begin diagnosing him. At least at the Manor, Harry was free to do with his time as he pleased, and, despite how much information had to be wrenched out of him, Malfoy seemed to know at least where and how to start looking for answers.
At the mention of his wand Harry looked to the side as if he expected it to be within his sight; in reality, it still laid on his desk in Malfoy’s study. He knew perfectly well now delicate a bond there was between wand and wizard, and though there were some give and take in that interpretation, Harry perfectly able to remember his trip to Olivander’s as a child. The thought of his own wand rejecting an order and the possible misfiring that could cause did seem to have Harry realize the gravity of things.
"Is that a thing?" he instead asked, looking for confirmation rather than doubting the statement.
His attention returned onto Malfoy, the furrows of his expression having been smoothed over. He appeared satisfied with the information Malfoy had conveyed. "Are you able to say something about the state of my signature by how willingly my wand obeys me?"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:28 am 

Wand magic was an entirely different subject from what Draco had been used to studying, but he had delved a little into it, finding it incredibly interesting and complex. It was likely something that he was never going to be an expert on, but he knew just enough that he felt that he would be able to come with a qualified guess as to how the wand would react to Potter’s changes signature.
“It’s possible,” Draco stated, knowing that it was hard to give much more of an answer to any of this. Everything Potter asked was going to require further study from him, more intense research and just a deeper look into something that most people thought to be impossible. It wasn’t something that anyone had ever done any level of studying in before, because obviously it was impossible, so there was no need to.
“I do think that you should keep your magic use at a minimum, just in case,” he added, fully aware of what he was asking of Potter. While Potter had been raised by muggles, it was unlikely that he was used to going without magic anymore, having been part of the wizarding community for the biggest part of his life.
It was a sacrifice and yet Draco found that it was a necessary safety precaution, not wanting Potter to accidentally harm himself while he was staying at the manor.
“I’m sorry I can give you more fulfilling answers, but this is a new science that I’m making up as I go. There are no answers for me to find, because this has never happened before,” he said, desperate to make Potter understand just what he was working with.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:01 am 

While Harry should probably have seen that coming, the notion that he should give up magic for his stay at the Manor seemed like worse news than his potentially life-threatening encounter with dark magic. His face fell slightly at that.
In the greater context, being wandless in a fully equipped home, one with a house elf at that, was probably a best-case scenario. It didn’t stop Harry from being pre-emptively exhausted by the inconveniences it would cause.
"Right," he agreed meekly. There was no point in complaining; this was something even he could see the purpose of. Harry just hadn’t been without magic for decades, having grown dependable for it. Even during the war, when Harry had been without his wand, he had been able to use Malfoy’s. The memory made Harry’s eyes dip to the tabletop covering Malfoy’s lap; the wand wasn’t in his hair, though Harry still assumed Malfoy was carrying it somewhere on his person.
In a final sign of quiet acceptance, Harry exhaled, leaning back in the chair. His hands were at his face, pushing beneath his glasses to rub at his eyes. While Harry decidedly preferred Malfoy Manor to St. Mungo’s, it was still far from anything ideal.
"Don’t worry about giving fulfilling answers," Harry responded with such delay that it was almost completely disjointed from their conversation. “I want to hear what you’re considering. I can’t help you otherwise.”
He dropped his hands from his face, blinking Malfoy into focus as the frames resettled onto the bridge of his nose. "There’s no other signature, but the Ministry have extensive trackers on the wands of any Auror working the field - I don’t know what data is stored, but I can look into it. Maybe there’s a way to compare the spells I’ve used on the job instead."

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:43 am 

In the entire time Draco had been studying dark objects, he had been doing it all by himself. He had never had any help, had never desired any help, nor had he had anyone to turn to to bounce ideas around when he got stuck.
For the most part, it had worked out just fine for him, having often preferred the solitary work that he had been able to do. However, there was still something about Potter mentioning being able to help him, almost as if it was nothing that made Draco’s heart skip a beat. He had never even considered that Potter would want to be helpful, having simply assumed that Potter had seen him as the one doing the work.
Thus, he didn’t even manage to reply to the statement before Potter was talking about something else, leaving Draco with an odd feeling of unexpressed gratitude.
It wasn’t easy, but Draco realised that the two of them were likely going to find a way to work together just fine. It was just about working out all the kinks for now, both of them used to a wildly different approach to work.
“Right, that would be great,” he said, finding that a lot easier to find an answer to than Potter’s promise of coworkership. It was too much for Draco to take in for now, so it was easier to focus on keeping the ball rolling a bit. “The more data I can get, even if it doesn’t seem too important, the better.”

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:41 pm 

Harry just nodded, still processing the consequences of Malfoy’s diagnosis. Come Monday, Harry would have to give an explanation to why he was unable to appear at work, and the prospect of letting Robards know he was under medical observation at Malfoy Manor seemed daunting if not impossible to explain. Even more what he was doing there wandless. Harry suddenly had justify his this to others; something that he still struggled to justify to himself.
"I’ll send some broad requests, then," he said, almost spaced out. His eyes were still aimlessly on Malfoy, not fully able to think beyond the fact that he’d have to rearrange his work to accommodate being out of office. "We’ll see what and when they’ll send over."
Trying to gather his thoughts, he blinked again, eyes refocusing on Malfoy. Harry was mentally planning for something he had yet to confirm.
While he could probably talk St. Mungo’s into letting him work from there, it seemed unlikely to be as efficient as staying here with Malfoy had proved to be.
The addition was spoken softly, not wanting to intrude any further than he already was. "If you don’t mind me staying here, of course. The Ministry would continue to comp' you for it."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1963 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 99  Next