All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1963 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 99  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 3:51 pm 

This body is a vessel for my mayhem and as long as I can perform bafoonery it doesn’t matter if this stomach is flat or not

Blog: View Blog (0)

At first, Draco was ready to believe that Potter was simply doubting his ability to do either of those things. It had been a long time since Hogwarts after all, so it seemed likely that Potter wouldn’t have a realistic idea of what Draco would be able to do.
However, it took only one glance at Potter for Draco to realise that that maybe wasn’t what it was about. It seemed almost crazy, but maybe it was actually going to be easy to work with Potter, who, at least somewhat, seemed to trust Draco abilities.
“Well, I have never done it on anyone but myself, but yes,” he stated with an unusual amount of confidence. If there was one thing he felt certain that he could do, it was anything involving Dark Magic, and he also knew that he would never have suggested they start out with something that had too big of a risk of failure.
It was probably going to be for naught anyway, but Draco wanted Potter to trust him with this process, didn’t want him to regret going to Draco with his situation.
“I have done it on a couple of dozen objects too and some of those contain native magic as well as foreign magic,” he added, just so that it didn’t seem too much like Potter was going to be his guinea pig.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 5:57 pm 

Harry nodded, the simple fact that Malfoy had tried it all felt like plenty reassurance. By now, dark magic of this caliber was hard to come by, and possible subjects exposed to it were even fewer and further between. Besides, Harry felt quite certain he had scoured the entire country for alternatives, back when Malfoy had just been a hard-to-find anonymous publisher.
"Alright," Harry smiled, seeming encouraged by the answers such a spell might give. He leaned back onto his heels, relaxing his stance another bit. "You’ve seen the state of my chest, I won’t be cross if it adds to it."
The addition, spoken through a crooked grin, was said in the expectation that Malfoy’s area of interest would be the same as his ward’s.
"Will that tell you if it’s the scar?" he said, more a consideration than a demand, eyes drifting again. They had never settled on a common consensus on that matter, and to Harry it would be a significant distinction. Malfoy had clearly not been able to decide on anything back at the foyer, but then again, Harry didn’t know how the alternative would be marked. The scar spanned almost the entirety of his chest, and if the distinction were the scar or a vague, central marker of what constituted Harry specifically, he couldn’t picture that translated into a practical use.
Harry’s attention returned onto Malfoy, his smile still ghosting at his lips, softer. "Or is that too much to expect?"

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 11:09 am 

This body is a vessel for my mayhem and as long as I can perform bafoonery it doesn’t matter if this stomach is flat or not

While the question was simple enough, Draco had no idea how to explain just how much of a complex question it actually was. It was a very fickle spell that Draco was using in the first place, having spent years having to practice and perfect that way he cast it. It didn’t always give a perfectly accurate answer, but it was usually enough to help Draco get rid of the curse.
“Well, that all depends,” he stated, knowing that that had to be a terribly frustrating answer, but that was simply part of this area of study. What little Draco did know for certain was mostly what he had found himself, and that just served to further case doubt on whether or not he could actually trust said findings to be entirely accurate.
“I might be able to tell, but I can’t tell yet,” he said, fiddling with the handle of his wand, considering if he should put it back into his hair, or if he was going to end up having to use it soon.
“Would you be prepared to run tests now?”

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 2:21 pm 

The offer to begin immediately caught Harry unprepared, a brief look of surprise painted across his features. Harry hadn’t wanted to ask, understanding that he had basically flipped his circadian rhythm to be polar opposite Malfoy’s, having intended on respecting the fact that Malfoy had already been at the matter for well over any regular workday.
"Yeah," Harry exhaled, a thrilled smile replacing the look of surprise, widening by the second. He uncrossed his arms, making a little welcoming gesture into space.
"How do you want me?" he asked; despite how the phrasing once spoken out loud made the corner of Harry’s mouth twitch, it had not been intended as anything as well meaning question. Softening the innuendo, Harry turned his side to Malfoy, pointedly looking at the several different workspaces crammed within the four walls. "How can I help?"

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 6:37 am 

Potter’s willingness to start testing immediately sent a great wave of relief through Draco. Obviously, he wouldn’t want to do anything that made Potter immediately uncomfortable, so it was with a great sense of accomplishment that he could get started immediately.
One thing had been testing his spells and potions on himself, a whole other thing was getting to test it on someone else. He really didn’t want to mess it up, but he also figured that Potter knew, at least to some degree, that this area of study was highly experimental and everything that Draco knew was things that he had learnt himself.
“Right here will do,” Draco stated, grabbing his wand from the table and getting up from the chair. “Now, I am going to need you to take your shirt off again, now that we know that it seems to be coming from your chest.”

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 7:55 am 

Possibly even more humorous than the unintended innuendo was Malfoy’s complete indifference to it. The Malfoy Harry remembered would have made a face, easily riled at even the smallest taunts; while it hadn’t been intended as one, Harry wondered if Malfoy had even heard it.
Harry undid the buttons of his shirt, immediately revealing bare skin. While Malfoy’s house elf had politely cleaned and starched the rest of his uniform, Harry had slept in his undershirt and opted out of it.
"All the way off?" he spoke into his chest, chin tipped down to undo the bottom few buttons. He glanced upward at Malfoy.
Harry didn’t mind undressing, but he was aware of the minute differences between now and this morning in the foyer. It still felt strangely intimate, in the way it wasn’t rooted in anything; though the study still made more sense contextually, Harry knew the intimacy laid in the way Malfoy circled his desk; in how Harry wasn’t propped up onto a stretcher in an examiners room at St. Mungo’s. Harry was hard pressed to judge what was the better option, but he knew that, in contrary to before, he didn’t need to strip out of the shirt to remove another layer.
Letting his hands fall, he straightened his neck, meeting Malfoy’s eye with an easy smile, refusing to allow his thought to run amok.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 3:03 pm 

Draco simply shrugged at the question, not having any preferences one way or the other. As long as he would be able to see Potter’s chest, then he could care less if he felt more comfortable in keep the shirt partially on while Draco ran his tests.
“Whatever you’re more comfortable with,” he said with a shrug, just curious to see what results he might be getting out off these tests. He did have suspicions, he had had several hours to think about every possible scenario so of course he did, but he knew that he was going to have a much better idea once he got the tests done.
“Now, these tests are not an entirely pleasant experience, but if anything starts to hurt, please tell me and I will stop,” he stated, knowing that if Potter started feeling actual physical pain, then he might be doing something wrong.
It was far more difficult to do these tests on another person, unable to tell whether or he had gone too far or was hitting something wrong; however, Draco felt confident that he would be able to pull it off, without causing any amount of harm.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 3:48 pm 

The notion that the test might be painful seemed to take Harry aback; his expression didn’t waver by much, but the general diagnostic spells, a rough Wizarding equivalency to a Muggle x-ray, were rarely more severe than the itch of a rough wool sweater across bare skin.
It wasn’t enough that it had made Harry reconsider. If progress and answers came at the cost of brief discomfort, that felt like a proportional trade off. It did, however, make his hands settle in the pockets of his trousers, right hand curling around the upper half of his wand by instinct. The reflex didn’t come from mistrust in Malfoy’s intention, not really anyway, as it was a source of comfort in the face of an unknown form of pain.
"Alright,” Harry said, and though his smile remained something had changed, ghosting as his lip more by force of habit. He didn’t know how else to give his consent, though he heard the question in Malfoy’s statement. “I’ll keep the shirt on, then; you can go ahead."

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 12:33 pm 

Draco simply nodded at that, fully understanding why Potter would want at least some level of hiding himself. Not that he had anything to be ashamed of, something that he was probably all too aware of, but it was a different situation and Draco had to keep his mind on the task at hand.
The spell he was going to do was fairly difficult, even though he had done it several times before in the past. In fact, he knew the spell by heart by now, it being an absolute necessity in the work he was doing, so he wasn’t too worried about getting it right.
What he was worrying about, was whether or not he was going to end up hurting Potter, knowing just how bad that would look for him.
“Alright,” he said, wand already moving in a continuous movement generally directed towards Potter. Draco was mumbling under his breath, the incantation not needing to be loud for the spell to work.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 1:46 pm 

The spell scratched a dull pain across his chest; had Harry closed his eyes, he could have believed Malfoy to be pushing the tip of his wand into his skin. With his eyes open, attention only partially on Malfoy’s expression, he knew the wand was nowhere near touching him, making it easier to place the pain half an inch beneath his skin.
The discomfort entirely manageable, Harry glanced off to one side, aimlessly around the room. Watching Malfoy work when he so clearly attempted to see through Harry’s chest felt awkward or intimate; or both. Though Harry desperately wanted to read the results as it dawned upon Malfoy’s features, Harry found that he couldn’t maintain that kind of eye contact for more than a few moments at a time.
Harry was looking at a bookshelf somewhere above Malfoy’s left shoulder when the scratch dipped, pinching through the layers of tissue and sending a bite of pain up Harry’s spine. It made Harry breathing catch and his muscles jerk, an involuntary attempt to inch away from the non-existent point of contact.
His lips remained parted when his eyes returned onto Malfoy, either a curse or an accusation building at the tip of his tongue. Neither became fully coherent before blue light bloomed from his chest, slow but unmistakable.
It stalled Harry’s intention to speak, eyes dipping to his chest to place the source of light, right hand abandoning his wand in favour for the leg of his glasses, keeping them on his nose.
Harry looked at the light for a moment, a few inches askew from the scar left by the medallion. "Is that it?"

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 2:53 am 

The work with the spell was slow, Draco absolutely desperate to not make any mistakes.
That was also the reason why he felt a little defeated when he heard Potter gasp, almost certain that he had managed to let the spell trail wrong and having caused harm. It was only when that flicker of blue light finally appeared on Potter’s chest that Draco realised exactly why it had hurt.
“I’m sorry,” he muttered, taking in the light and trying to place exactly where it was. It didn’t seem to have much to do with the horcrux scar, just as Potter had predicted, yet Draco knew that something really terribly had to be going on, considering that it had hurt when Draco found the foreign magic.
“That’s it,” he stated, a soft frown on his features. He had no idea what it meant that the magic clearly was close to his scar, yet seemed to have nothing to do with it. It made Draco worry about Potter’s heart, knowing that dark magic liked to catch on to that.
“I am not liking how close it is to your heart.”

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 3:47 am 

Harry let his hand fall, straightening his gaze enough for his glasses to stay on his nose. Besides the general location of the foreign magic, Harry would gain more from attempting to read the conclusions on Malfoy’s expression.
The up lit light once again made Malfoy’s features seem more severe, but his blond hair reflected the light in a curtain of blue. Harry realized it reminded him of the blue shimmer of a pensive reflected in Dumbledore’s hair, a lifetime ago. Harry desperately wanted to see what Malfoy saw, but the topic was so foreign to him that he barely knew how to phrase his question.
While he could comprehend Malfoy’s worry, Harry didn’t share it, so he didn’t comment on it. In private, he would let his shoulders slump with relief at the confirmation that it wasn’t related to the scar; even the prospect of dark magic lodged near his heart didn’t feel like the worst possible outcome.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 2:14 pm 

Draco took a moment to scribble down the result of the location spell, roughly sketching out a torso and marking out the place where he had seen the light. It was going to be important to know exactly where he had seen the light when he went further into his study of what was bothering Potter.
“Alright,” he muttered, mostly to himself as he made notes around the sketch with possible suggestions that popped into his head already.
He picked his wand back up, ready to cast the second spell, which would hopefully help him piece everything more together. While he knew that it was unlikely that he would have a lot of answers by tonight, he hoped that the two results put together would be able to shed some light on just about where Draco was supposed to search for the answers that he so desperately craved.
“This second one shouldn’t bother me, but do tell me if you feel any discomfort,” Draco stated, wanting to show Potter that he was doing his best.
He didn’t wait for an answer before he started moving his wand and muttering the incantation.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 3:27 pm 

Harry felt the tickle of superficial magic ghosting across his skin, making the hairs on his neck stand. While he had successfully managed to expand the span of his attention, Malfoy’s muttered directions only served to narrow it back in; Harry’s attention no longer drifted to the room around them, instead watching Malfoy work with a great sense of professional interest.
"What was this one for?" he eventually asked, his voice instinctively lowered. There was a juvenile timidness to the mutter, greatly interested but uncertain whether or not the question was ill timed.
Harry had easily recognized the overlap between Malfoy’s spell and the magic woven into the Manor’s wards, but this was harder to make any immediate sense of, even though Harry had worked with identification spells in the field.
Entirely different to the DMLE standardized spells flipping through Harry’s mental library, Malfoy’s suddenly alerted, the blue light turning golden in an instance. Harry’s eyes immediately found Malfoy’s, searching for the explanation there.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 3:56 pm 

The spell required most of Draco’s concentration, once again not at all keen on accidentally doing the saviour of the wizarding world any harm. It was difficult enough for him to live with the burden he did, so he didn’t need to add further to it.
However, once Potter started asking him things about the process, he felt like he had to answer them as well. It wasn’t a big deal after all and nothing he did was inherently secret.
“I am testing the severity of the magic,” Draco stated, just as the blue light switched to a beautiful golden colour.
It immediately filled Draco with a sense of dread and panic, waving his wand to dispel the spell and then went to his notebook. This was really bad, especially considering just how close it was to Potter’s heart, but Draco felt certain that he would be able to at least stabilise it.
Merde,” Draco muttered, quill frantically scratching over his notebook as he tried to draw conclusions. It was infuriatingly difficult and Draco felt furious that no one at St. Mungos, nor the ministry, would have caught such severe dark magic in their star auror.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 5:00 pm 

Harry saw the realization settle with Malfoy, a sudden, transparent flash of distress, before he turned to his notes, attention immediately miles away. It made Harry’s stomach turn, mind reeling at the fragmented pieces of information Malfoy had offered.
"Speak your thinking," Harry snapped, thoughtlessly and practically stern, instinctively reverting to frustrated hours spent with newly appointed Auror Constables caught in their own head during exercises.
For a moment, the most coherent frustration was the knowledge that Malfoy had passed his Healer’s bar with such a response to a test result, annoyed at the lack of clear communication.
It took a moment for Harry to process the fact that Malfoy usually worked alone and with inanimate objects, deflating some of the immediate sense of irritation. It caused Harry to backtrack, sheepishly aware of the harshness of his words; it had been an order, something Harry had no authority to demand of Malfoy, much less so in Malfoy’s own home.
When Harry continued, his voice had softened, the tension displaced to his shoulders instead. "Please."

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 1:39 pm 

While Draco didn’t have much patience for the tone that Potter was taking with him, he did know that Potter deserved to get an answer, but he also knew that he needed to write his thoughts down before he lost his train of thought. He wasn’t used to having to explain his process to anyone and he could already tell that that was likely going to frustrate him, but he also knew that there was no way around it, not if he wanted to keep studying Potter.
“Sorry,” he stated, not looking up from his notes were he was writing frantically, though keeping his script tight and neat. There was no point in taking any notes at all unless he would be able to read them again later.
“Force of habit,” he added, as he finally put the quill down and looked up at Potter again. While the light had gone out, Draco could still see the phantom of it, remembering just how bright it was and just how that made him feel sick to his stomach. He hadn’t seen a reaction quite like that since...
“You have caught yourself a very severe kind of dark magic,” he stated in the same tone that one would discuss the weather, not wanting to alarm Potter, but he knew that it was very bad and that he was probably going to have to work a lot faster than he had originally thought that he would have to.
“I have no more tests for tonight, but this is very serious.”

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:15 am 

Harry’s brows furrowed, his expression changing to one of confusion rather than panic, lips parted in a query he didn’t know how to phrase. He found Malfoy’s words endlessly harder to read than his immediate reaction; Malfoy’s look of distress had been replaced by a polite front, blanketing any genuine expression that might add to the context of his words. It made his point exceptionally hard to follow, though he clearly thought there was cause for concern.
"In what way ‘serious’?" Harry questioned when it became apparent that Malfoy didn’t intent on going on of his own fruition. There was little worry in Harry’s voice, though his brow remained furrowed. It felt difficult to find any justification in Malfoy’s panic by what little Harry himself had experienced.
"It is from Towthorpe? Besides these last few days, I’ve had no adverse effects," he went on, not as a dismissal of Malfoy’s expertise but as an attempt to translate words into his lived reality for his own understanding. Though triggering a ward was certainly an issue in and of itself, Harry hadn’t experienced anything else that confirmed he carried foreign magic. "I didn’t come to you Monday with anything but an inkling."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:38 pm 

It was impossible to tell exactly where Potter would have picked up this magic, Draco having never needed a location spell like that in his career. However, it did sound likely that that would be the place Potter had picked it up, mostly because it was the only place he kept bringing up and Draco could definitely see how it would be able to have ties to magic like this.
“It’s hard to say, but it is definitely possible,” he stated with a shrug. This was new territory to him, even with all his years of research, and he was thinking frantically, trying to make it all make sense and tying everything together.
“It’s serious in a way that if it moves closer to your heart, I am fairly certain that it is going to kill you,” he stated, seeing no reason to be wax poetic about it. Draco was going to do everything in his power to make sure that it wouldn’t get to that point, not that he cared too much about Potter, but he did think that he deserved more than dying at 29 years old.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:05 am 

The prospect that this might kill him smoothed Harry’s expression over, his brows quirking in slight surprise. It was so starkly different from anything any Healer had told him through out the past month that the gravity of Malfoy’s statement didn’t fully resonate in reality.
It was clear to Harry that he was processing the information on a well-rested brain; there was no sense of panic catching hold of his breathing, no sense of desperation in the prospect of dying. In fact, it almost felt familiar.
"Is it moving?" Harry eventually asked, an easy surprise in his voice.
Somewhere in the back of his mind he figured that made sense; the only active magic Harry had encountered that moved through tissue was the dark magic emitting from the medallion, and in that sense, the Death Eater base in Towthorpe felt like a reasonable enough place for similarly aggressive magic. He however doubted it would ever come close to the severity of Voldemort’s Horcrux; that thought alone made his shoulders relax.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1963 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 99  Next