All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1963 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 99  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:28 am 

This body is a vessel for my mayhem and as long as I can perform bafoonery it doesn’t matter if this stomach is flat or not

Blog: View Blog (0)

It had been another long day of little to no results, Draco was feeling frustrated and in a pretty bad mood. Potter had come to him as an expert in the area, something that was definitely correct, and yet there had been no major breakthrough since Draco had gotten on the case. In fact, it was like he had made no progress at all since Potter had gotten stuck at the manor, which made his proclamation that Potter had to stay seen even more ridiculous.
Tired of looking at his papers, Draco glanced over at Potter, wanting to see if he was having any more luck with getting work done. It also made him realise that Potter too seemed to be in a world of his own, obviously not about to start anything important or time consuming.
“Stuck too?” He asked, figuring that that was as good of a conversation starter as any. Mostly, he wanted to hear if Potter would be willing to get tested again, testing being the only thing that Draco could do that yielded immediate results. “Do you have time?”

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:55 am 

The sound of Draco's voice pulled Harry out of his reverie, eyes leaving the folders in favour for Draco. For a moment, Harry looked interrupted, but whatever had been cut short had barely been coherent, simply absorbed by his considerations, however fruitless they might be.
"Sure," he said when the question sunk in. He leaned forward, the chairlegs hitting the floor with a click.
Fed up with the increasing volume of administrative work being redirected his way after it had become known that he wasn't working on a DLME issued case, Harry had cleared his calendar and requested of both Coote and Kreacher that no mail was to be delivered to him today. It had left quite a few hours to just stare at the files making no process.
Whatever Draco wanted from him was a welcomed distraction.
"What's up?"

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:22 pm 

This body is a vessel for my mayhem and as long as I can perform bafoonery it doesn’t matter if this stomach is flat or not

The thing that Draco appreciated more than anything about Potter was how well they worked together professionally. It seemed that they both just had a good understanding of what the other needed, and how to best get them back on track about the case. It was one of few comforts that Draco really and truly felt that he could count on.
“I just wanted to run that test again, if you have the time for it that is,” he stated, knowing that his test was time consuming and required for Potter to sit still for as long. One thing was having time to help Draco with an opinion or something brief, but Draco didn’t know if he had dragged Potter out of something important, even if it hadn’t looked it.
“I don’t want to be presumptuous, but it didn’t look like either of us were making a lot of progress today,” he added with a shrug, hoping that he had seen correctly.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:23 pm 

Harry's smile appeared before the chuckle left his lips, humoured and not offended my Draco's bluntly polite phrasing. More than reverence, the tone spoke of genuine familiarity and transpacency between them, and Harry could never fault that.
"No, please interrupt me," Harry pleaded with a huffed laugh. He inched backwards with his chair, before habitually turning to sit on it askew, no longer neding Draco to state the orders if proceedings.
He leaned his shoulder agaist the backrest as he lazily started to undo hus cuffs, smile present at the corners of his mouth. "This case's starting to feel like I'm caught on a loop."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:05 pm 

Draco could definitely relate to the feeling of being stuck on a loop, having just been struck by much the same feeling as well. He didn’t think that conducting a test was suddenly going to cause the two of them to have a major realisation, but he did hope that it could give them a bit of a push in the right direction.
If nothing else, it gave him a chance to check on the magic, finding that the side effect to getting closer with Potter was a genuine worry about his health.
“Tell me about it,” Draco stated, carefully untangling his wand from his hair, definitely not an attempt to distract himself from the fact that Potter was undressing right in front of him. It was necessary for the procedure yet Draco found that it seemed different this time, but maybe he was just reading something into it that wasn’t there.
“At least running a test will give us a result.”

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:24 pm 

Harry hummed a chuckle, sharing the sentiment. There was something incredibly reassuring about the fact that they were both inching their way to a solution, though Harry knew the day would come where he'd have to explain why the Ministry had paid Draco Malfoy a small fortune for a month, yet barely being able to show any results. Harry at the very least was on a monthly contract.
"I'm just happy I can space out for a moment," Harry admitted with a grin, chin tipped upward as his hands were his colar to undo those buttons. Though they were a month closer to summer, Harry had yet to shed any layers.
He picked the glasses from his nose, tossing to the table without folding them.
"I think the markings held up fine," he added, knowing Draco would soon see for himself. Catching hold of his back collar, Harry pulled both his sweater and dress shirt off in one motion, the shirt only catching slightly as his ears. His eyes glanced up at Draco as the shirt bunched at the sleeves, having to pull them off one by one before discarding the bundle of clothes, leaving him in his undershirt.
"What's it been, a week?" When Harry said he felt like he was living the same days on a loop, i wasn't an exhageration. Draco barely respected the weekends, muddling the days even more together.
Harry had leaned backwards to pull the shirt out of his trousers, before taking that off and tossing that, too.

Last edited by Nymeria on Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:17 pm 

As Potter was undressing, Draco was once again struck by just how many layers he seemed to always be wearing. It was quite an impressive feat, Potter somehow managing to not look too bulky, despite just how much clothes he was wearing at all times.
“Yeah?” Draco asked, twirling his wand in his hand as he approached Potter, seeing no reason in delaying the test any further. He wanted to know what was going on so bad, and while he had run this test before, he hoped that it would yield more of a result now.
“A week yeah, almost to the day,” Draco stated, having a fairly firm grasp of the weekdays, even if he tended to work all the way through the weekend as well. He had been used to making his own schedule for years, so it wasn’t a new thing for him to have to be able to tell the date with very little to go on.
“You ready?” He asked as Potter removed the undershirt, an action that didn’t make Draco’s cheeks heat up even the slightest. They were both professionals after all, so it was absurd that Draco would keep overthinking their every interaction.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:36 am 

"Yeah," Harry confirmed, though he hadn't yet stopped moving.
He turned to retrieve his glasses from the table, putting them on as he straightened his position. Draco was suddenly closer and clearer, something which only made Harry smile.
These tests were quickly becoming equivalent with Draco undoing his bun, finding that this was the most consistent form of spellwork Harry got to witness the other carried out. It was almost Pavlovian, Harry feeling a shimmer of magic down his spine whenever Draco's hair fell in his face.
Harry shifted forward in his seat, straightening his posture in an unspoken invitation.
"Are you planning to retake my signature?" he questioned, wondering if the expectation was for that to change along with the position of the foreign magic.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:50 am 

It hadn’t been in Draco’s plans to retake Potter’s signature, knowing just how hard and time consuming it had been when he had done it later. However, it might end up being beneficial to what they were doing if he were to retake it, so it was definitely something that he was going to have to consider. At least it seemed that Potter was willing to sit for it, and that was honestly the most important part.
“I wasn’t,” he admitted, having already grown immensely more comfortable with just being open and honest with Potter. He had had to face the fact that it made their work together a whole lot easier and that Potter usually had a lot of useful input to his ideas.
“But I might,” he added, very open with his thoughts as they had both gone into this case entirely blind. Neither had any idea what they were even looking for, much less how to stop it, so just about anything Draco could think of would help.
“Not right now, but at a later point.”

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:33 pm 

Harry tipped his head, brushing his palm across the soft joint of his left elbow. Of many scars peppering his body, some significantly larger than others, his joint remained unmarred, Draco having taken his signature without leaving a mark.
Harry could easily repeat it, if it moved the case forward.
"You just let me know," he commited, letting his hand fall.
His eyes returned onto Draco, as his hands inmediately became preoccupied by picking as his thumb. A smile pulled his mouth crooked. "Currently I don't have anything better to do."

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:33 pm 

It was something that Draco kept noticing in Potter, but also something that he tried not to think too much of, however it touched him greatly that Potter always seemed to trust him and wanted to get along with what he wanted to do.
It was likely just because Draco was the expert and Potter was used to working with consultants in the ministry, but the amount of trust that Potter showed him again and again never failed to touch him. It wasn’t any huge thing that Potter ever did, but it was enough that Draco felt genuinely appreciated and also what made him desperate to find a solution to the case.
“I’ll let you know,” he said with a soft smile, as he started moving his wand through the spell, softly muttering the incantation under his breath. Even if it was a difficult spell, Draco was comfortable in doing it by now, feeling less exhausted from doing it.
“Might be another day when we get stuck.”

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:57 pm 

Harry chuckled, his breath hitching halfway through the soukd as the magic caught hold of his tissue, sending a twinge down this spine.
It was hardly painful, but the depth of Draco's spell made Harry's own magic go haywire, making his fingers itch. It had been worst the first time, having since seemed to find some familiarity in the tactile aspect of Draco's magic. It was intimate in a way Harry knew from medical professionals, nothing really uncommon about it, but it felt particularly intimate to know how Draco's magic felt beneath his skin.
As Draco spoke the incarnation, Harry thoughtlessly tipped his head to one side, away from the movements of the wand. His eyes remained on Draco, eternally transfixed by the fall of his hair.
Upon first seeing Draco with his hair long, Harry had expected to find more similarities to Lucius; he hadn't. Draco carried himself more delicately than his father ever had.
"Are you stuck, too?" Harry asked, too great a delay for it to be considered a coherent conversation. He felt like he needed to speak to avoid himself from getting too absorbed byt the way the incarnation left Draco's lips.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:16 pm 

Draco simply hummed at the question, having all but forgotten that Potter was entirely incapable of sitting still and being quiet at the same time. It was completely okay though, Draco having found himself getting used to the background noise of Potter constantly chattering while he performed a difficult spell, almost as if he needed a reminder of why he was performing the spell in the first place.
“Yeah, a little,” he stated, the one thing that he wasn’t very keen on admitting to Potter, fearing he would be taken off the case if he got stuck for too long. This was Draco’s shot at redemption, or at least at getting seen as something different for once in his life.
“Sit up straight please,” Draco stated, carefully place a hand on Potter’s shoulder in an attempt to get him to straighten his back. In the process, Draco noticed how much... softer? Potter seemed, as compared to the first time Draco had performed this spell.
It was a good look on Potter, something that Draco was very hesitant to admit, but then again, most things were a good look on Potter. Draco wasn’t blind to it either, unable not to notice the small changes in Potter that spoke to the time that he had spent at the manor.
“But I will get there, there’s just a lot of material.”

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:14 pm 

The feeling of Draco's hand again his bare shoulder made Harry's heart flip, skin already flushed and tender with Draco's magic. His heart seemed to skip a beat.
They touched so rarely and when they had it had never been quite like this. Harry felt uncomfortably vulnerable in their interaction, and yet there was a thought in the back of his mind that felt sure the cure wasn't less touch but more.
Harry straightened his shoulders, sinking into the touch as directed.
"Sorry," he spoke in a breath, finding there to be more effort in meeting the magic steadily and not inching away from it by hunching over.
When his heart resettled in his chest, Harry barely remembered what question Draco was answering.
It took him another moment to recall.
"Yeah, I know," he answeree, barely mustering to speak in an audible volume, telling himself it was in an effort not to dirstub Draco's spell. When he continued it was spoke more conversationally. "I might've been a tad optimistic thinking we'd get it done just the two of us."

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:32 pm 

There was no denying that Potter was probably right in stating that it was too big of an assignment for just the two of them, but Draco really didn’t see any alternatives. Potter still couldn’t leave the manor and Draco had a hard time seeing anyone being able to help them remotely, nor seeing that anyone would like to come and help at the manor.
They were stuck with being just the two of them.
“That might be true yeah,” he stated with a shrug, hands still moving softly as he spoke. He kept a constant look on what he was doing, which meant having to constantly watch Potter’s chest, something that felt like both a blessing and a curse to Draco.
“But I am convinced that we will have a breakthrough soon enough,” he added, feeling the need to stay positive, otherwise he might just end up being completely stuck in a rut. There was a lot of work ahead of the, but Draco also felt that there was a lot of work that was behind them now, and sometimes he was just going to have to remind himself of the progress they had already made.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:58 pm 

Harry hummed a vague agreement. In contraty to other times they had done this test, Harry didn't find their professional back and forth particularly interesting or useful. It wasn't either of them to blame, they just had less to share between the two of them.
For once, Harry felt like he would rather just unplug and just watch Draco work. Draco was, after all, as interesting visually as audibly.
However, that didn't feel like a priviledge Harry should allow himself to have.
"I've worked through them all," he said, nodding towards the piles on his desk. He willed his gaze away from Draco's slightly downturned face, instead staring off vaguely towards his desk. "Generously there's probably 35 cases I'd want to revisit. I just have to figure out with what aim."
When the files didn't become any more intereting that they had been the passing few hours, Harry's eyes drifted through his depth of field, watching the study unfold ahead of him.
"I might lay them out," he said, ualmost thoughtlessly. The statement was simple out of necessity; Harry didn't know how precisely or with what purpose. "I need to look at them differently, I think."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:20 am 

The suggestion should probably sound ridiculous, but Draco really couldn’t fault Potter for wanting to try absolutely anything to get a breakthrough. They were both getting desperate after all, so if spreading all the files out on the floor to get to see them in another way was going to help Potter, then Draco really couldn’t fault him for wanting to trying it.
“Lucky for you that there is plenty of floor space,” he said with a soft smile, hands working as if he wasn’t talking at all. It was slowly becoming second nature to him to just get on with his spell while Potter talked after all, and most of the time he even managed to find their talks enjoyable rather than disruptive.
“And if there isn’t enough here, you can always make use of the corridor as well,” he added, wanting to shrug but being unable too to do so lest he disturb his hands. No matter how blasé Draco was becoming about this spell, it was still immensely difficult and he was going to be very careful in his attempt to not hurt Potter.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:07 am 

How sincere Draco's response had been to a stupid little comment Harry had only spoken to fill the space made Harry laugh, overwhelmed. The sound barely came to fruition, the way the air shifted in his lungs making the spell catch and pull within him, though it wasn't enough to wash the smile away from his lips. For a moment, Harry was just left with a genuine sense of appreciation that Draco so easily seemed prepared to humour his antics.
"You know, I might," he caved. He had been thinking about the pinboards they had at the office but the floor might do just as good a job.
"They all seem equally plausible, is the thing. I think I need to look at them all at once."
Harry pused for another moment, having inadvertedly pushed his mind into gear. It was frankly astonishing how much easier and more effectively Harry worked, when Draco gave him the tike of day to hear him out. "You know, 'cus if they're all equally plausible, does that mean none of them are the one we're looking for? Or are they all right?"

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:46 am 

The dilemma that Potter was explaining to him was deeply relatable, Draco feeling stuck in much the same way and feeling equally frustrated that there wasn’t an easy answer to it. Draco had to constantly remind himself that the reason that there wasn’t an easy answer was the same reason that Potter had come to him in the first place.
This was vastly unexplored magic, at least unexplored in any official capacity. Everything about dark magic was deeply secretive, nobody wanting to share what they knew and much less willing to write it down. That was also the reason that Draco had released his papers under a pseudonym, not keen on being tied to the study for dark arts, even if he was very good at it; or maybe it was because of that.
“I respect your process,” he said with a warm smile, wanting Potter to know that Draco was at least as lost in this as he likely was.
“I definitely feel you,” he stated, hands still easily moving around but Draco was slowly wrapping it up. He was becoming faster at it took, now that he knew exactly where to look and even what to look for.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:16 am 

Harry turned his attention back towards Draco, believing to hear a smile in his voice; something about being right that made his heart flip.
The increased sense of familiarity between them was really nothing like Harry could have ever expected. The fact that he'd grown able to hear a smile in Draco's voice felt ludicrous and yet there it was, unexpectedly tender.
Perhaps even more so because Harry felt sure Draco just didn't smile all that often.
"Yeah," Harry simply answered, not knowing what else there was to say. It felt harder to think of constructive tangents looking at Draco. "I know."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1963 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 99  Next