All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1963 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87 ... 99  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:34 am 

Blog: View Blog (0)

Draco’s comment made Harry huff a little chuckle, honestly seeming to consider it. Ducking his gaze to his plate, he abandoned the last third of his toast.
“Yeah, I think they want to see that for themselves,” Harry said, the joke deflating in a lopsided grin when he glanced up at Draco.
Ever since Harry had shown up at Draco’s doorstep that first time, Harry had spent the majority of his days absent from the office, frankly finding it difficult to get back into that habit. His body felt heavy with exhaustion, no longer feeling the pull of the Ministry, if nothing else then to keep his days and thoughts occupied, once a perfect excuse to keep out of Grimmauld as much as possible. Now, even that had changed.
Shifting back in his seat, Harry stretched his legs beneath the table, one socked foot finding the crossbar of Draco’s chair. He crossed his arms with an easy smile on his lips, in no rush to leave.
“God forbid I’m unfit to work.”

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:15 pm 

This body is a vessel for my mayhem and as long as I can perform bafoonery it doesn’t matter if this stomach is flat or not

While Draco knew that it wasn’t the conversation for them to have at the breakfast table, or perhaps ever, but he really wanted to protest to the way that Harry seemed to still work as a figurehead for hope. As if him stopping working would immediately bring back the Dark Lord and doom all of wizardkind.
However, he knew that it wasn’t his place to talk of that, knowing how much he worked to prove himself as well, so he allowed to just let it be.
“I guess I understand,” Draco stated, soft smile playing on his lips as he reached for his tea again, trying to get himself in the mindset of having to return to the ministry today and be surrounded by people again. “Last time they saw you an evil Death Eater carried you away, better make sure that you are alive and well.”

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:52 pm 

Though Harry didn’t laugh, a wide toothy grin bloomed on his lips, humoured nonetheless. It was at best morbid, and at worst heartbreaking, but it was a delicate line they only seemed to be able to balance the two of them alone. It probably shouldn’t feel this comforting.
“I’m almost affronted if that’s the case,” he argued with fake offence, his grin boyish throughout it. “I’ve quite famously survived that before just fine.”
Shifting his leg slightly, Harry leaned his knee against Draco’s calf, a teased accusation as his grin reappeared. “Besides, I thought I was being carried away by my Healer, not some sorry excuse for a teenage terrorist.”

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:20 pm 

This body is a vessel for my mayhem and as long as I can perform bafoonery it doesn’t matter if this stomach is flat or not

It had been a joke to begin with but Harry’s reaction still made him smile. He knew that Harry didn’t actually consider him a Death Eater anymore, but the confirmation was still nice to get, knowing how marred his public image was by his mistakes made as a teen.
“Well, they don’t know me like you do,” he said with a warm smile, brushing his leg against Harry’s as well, finding that the physical intimacy helped underline the intimacy of their conversation.
The love he felt for Harry hadn’t diminished during their weekend together and Draco knew that he had to consider that this couldn’t last forever.
“I don’t think most people even know that I took my healer’s exam.”

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:07 am 

The simple explanation Draco offered made Harry’s heart jump, a flash of intimidation amidst a sea of truth.
It wasn’t even that Harry knew Draco in a more intimate way that the public ever would, it was the fact that he was the only one who ever really could; just like Draco was to Harry. Harry knew that that understanding hadn’t come this past year, for if he allowed himself that piece of honesty, he knew it came from an awful moment in a bathroom, half a lifetime ago.
It made Harry’s heart ache, still finding himself unsure what to do of the knowledge that their lives had become so intertwined into one another, and so much of that without their doing.
“Would you rather go by Healer than by Cursebreaker, then?” he asked, both out of curiosity but decisively to stir his thoughts away from an endless pit of doubt.
Draco’s leg was warm against his, and focusing on that alone helped, too. It condensed Draco to what he was in this instance, and not everything they were beyond that. Here and now, Draco was brilliant and warm company in a chilly kitchen at the depths of Autumn, and if that was all he could remain, Harry would’ve had no hesitations.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:57 pm 

It wasn’t a question Draco had ever really considered, having never really thought that either was going to be something that he was going to have. The mere idea that he would ever get to have a choice like that was still so completely beyond him that he couldn’t wrap his head around it.
“Whichever the situation calls for, I guess,” was what he landed on.
Before getting the offer, he had never even considered being a Cursebreaker, having felt certain that no one with with sense would want to offer him access to the ministry like that. He enjoyed the work though, loving to use his studies in a more practical manner and getting to share his breakthroughs.
“I never thought I’d get to be either,” he added with a soft smile, his focus on the heat of Harry’s legs against his own, finding the touch comforting enough to want to share.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:46 pm 

Another effective way of redirecting his thoughts was to see the subtle signs of surprise flash across Draco’s expression, and the carefully considered reply. It was a treat to watch, and frankly a little humorous now that he had gotten the chance to experience Draco in the field, and Harry realised he was excited at the prospect of seeing Draco in the office, too; especially now that Draco had gotten a chance to find his footing last week.
“But you’d like to be both, preferably,” Harry reiterated, a grin pulling at his lips, far more at ease in this tone.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:22 pm 

Even if Draco currently did work as a Cursebreaker and was fully qualified to work as a Healer ass well, it almost felt like too much to admit that yes, he indeed would like to be able to do both things. After all, his fascination with the dark arts had always been there and he knew that he could help in some more complicated cases.
It almost made his feel embarrassed to admit to it, even if it was just to Harry, but Draco almost felt like he had the chance of a life now.
“I like working with both, yeah,” he managed to admit, looking down at the table.

PostThis post was deleted by Nymeria on Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:41 pm.
Reason: Wrong forum
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:51 pm 

Harry’s eyes remained on Draco, even when Draco averted his. It could almost seem as false modesty the way Draco never seemed to let his ambitions come to a cusp, but rather attempted to swallow it back down and suppress it; Harry, however, realised it had probably been beaten into him throughout this past decade, much to the Ministry’s own charging.
Bittersweet as it were, Harry couldn’t help but smile.
“You should tell Paul that,” he instead encouraged with a grin, once again tapping his leg against Draco’s. This time, however, he withdrew it, uncrossing his arms with a subtle intention of getting up and onwards. “Might as well have him write it into the personalised job ad’ he’s undoubtedly cooking up just for you.”

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:51 pm 

Draco chuckled at that, knowing that Buchannan thought highly of him and his ability, especially with their most recent conversation in mind, he still felt that it was too much to believe that a life and a career like that would be for him.
“I doubt that he likes me that much,” he said with a shrug, looking back up at Harry and trying not to take it all too seriously. He was doing pretty well with working at the ministry, even without Harry around to work as a social crutch for him, so he was excited to get to do more.
“I am already stretching it by being present,” he stated with a shrug.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:21 am 

Harry was already midway in getting up from his chair when Draco replied, but the response made Harry cast Draco a confused little glance, grin pulling at the corners of his mouth at the ridicule of that statement.
“How so?” he challenged, voice half a tease as he came to a stop besides Draco.
His hand found the table top in a thoughtless attempt to suppress the instinct to reach out for Draco, stalling to touch Draco in the same breath as he identified him as a coworker. “Aren’t you being paid to be?”

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:23 pm 

Once again, Harry managed to make Draco feel silly for even worrying gas much as he did about his work at the ministry. They both know the states of his employ there, knew what other people thought of him, but he was employed at the ministry on terms no better or worse than anyone else there.
“I assume I do,” he said with soft smile, looking up at Harry as he now stood beside him, once again taken with just how much he adored having him close.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:03 pm 

Even imperceptible as it might have been, Harry was not blind to the way Draco’s attention stayed on him, making a shiver run down his spine. It was subtle, but Harry could become drunk on the weight of Draco’s gaze on him.
“Yeah, I thought I’d asked them to,” Harry said, his smile widening. Even if Harry had been staying at the Manor more often than not, it had been a while since Harry had filed for a board and lodging payment to be made to Draco; regardless, a base consulting pay still had to have amounted to quite a generous sum over the course of the last nine months.
Disinterested in entertaining that line of conversation, however, Harry leaned in, his hand on the table gaining purpose as a point of stability as he ducked to catch Draco’s lips in a kiss, helpless.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:37 pm 

The novelty of getting kissed by Harry was clearly never going to wear off for Draco, feeling so impossibly weak around him that he couldn’t imagine himself ever rejecting him.
His hands found Harry’s waist, knowing neither of them really had the time to drag this out but he still wanted to. It always felt indulgent to kiss Harry right before both of them had other places to be, a joy that he had only gotten to experience recently but one that was so addictive that he couldn’t see himself give it up.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:28 pm 

___

It was almost frightening how easily Kingsley Shacklebolt could make Harry feel like a teenager. Robards hadn’t forewarned the presence of the Minister, but as soon as Harry had stepped into the Head Auror’s office to that familiar expression of worry, Harry had been left off-kilter for the entire morning, uncomfortable in its connotations; suddenly, Harry was seventeen again, and Shacklebolt a overbearing adult dealing with his rash impulses.
The conversation hadn’t felt much different.
Harry was unaccustomed receiving this kind of oversight, but a month away from the force and then another immediate injury shorty after his return had caught the attention of the Ministry, and sitting ahead of Robards' desk, the chair inhabited by Shacklebolt as Robards himself hovered by the window, Harry felt more ill at ease than he had for the entire year.
He had promptly been ordered to retake his evaluations, both physical and psychological. Neither had said it, but Harry had been able to read between the lines; both were worried about his well being. It had almost made him want to throw up again, uncomfortable under their scrutiny.
It was halfway through lunch by the time Harry had finished dressing after his physical, his hair still damp after the shower as he ventured through the DMLE dining hall.
The prospect of having to face a Mind Healer was making his skin itch, and though it wasn’t often Harry had his lunches there, he still found himself almost selfishly seeking it out, knowing that today, Draco would be there, too. Had Harry had any more foresight, he would have recognized just how alarming it was becoming, just how compulsively he sought out Draco as a distraction from his own thoughts; however, that had yet to come.
Instead, Harry easily spotted Draco’s white-blond hair in the crowd, unsurprisingly finding him having his lunch with Connor. Unceremoniously, Harry took the vacant seat next to Draco, his mind not yet having caught up with an excuse for the interruption.
Almost breathlessly, Harry smiled, expression open and airy as he offered first Connor a glance and then Draco. “Cheers.”

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:01 pm 

To say that Draco had gotten a routine at the ministry would probably be an overstatement, but he could say that he was beginning to find a certain comfort in working with Hannah.
She didn’t ask too many questions, just enough to tell Draco that she was interested in learning from him and his methods, and he found that her sharing was equally enlightening for him. It was a pleasant routine and meant that he didn’t fear things like going to lunch with the rest of the ministry, as much as he normally would.
He and Hannah had just fallen into a comfortable silence when their routine was disrupted by someone joining them at their end of the table.
It took Draco aback for a moment before he realised that it was Harry who had decided to join him, likely done with his meeting by now. It brought a soft smile to his lips, relieved that it wasn’t someone who were opposed to him being around.
“Cheers,” he stated, taking only a moment to take in Harry, and quickly realising that he was freshly showered.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:12 pm 

Once seated, Harry was faced with the fact that he really was unaccustomed to being around Draco in the presence of others. He found that his words bunched in his throat, everything that he wanted to share and get Draco’s insight on was dampened by Hannah Connor’s mere presence across the table.
Eyes skimming across Draco’s features, his smile, Harry felt a little out of breath, and a lot unprepared.
“Did the Head Auror chew you up and spit you back out?” Connor filled the silence, her voice perfectly even; as if to underline her point, she pointed upwards at Harry’s hair with her fork. “You’re wet, sir.”
The added honorific did little to add any respect to quite a presumptuous question, but Harry found that he couldn’t really mind, given how effectively it cut through the silence between them.
“Clearly,” he replied as he straightened out his posture better to the table, humoured enough to accept the tease without engaging. In that moment, Harry felt reassured that he wasn’t really interested in sharing every nuance of his health with her, making it easier to allow her to deflect.
Glancing over at Draco, Harry’s smile widened at the mere sight, slightly but inevitably.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:41 pm 

Being around Harry while also being around other people made Draco realise just how much of their relationship was built up around being just the two of them.
He so wanted to reach for Harry, press a soft caress to his arm or his face, wanting to be able to reassure him that everything was going to be alright, that they were going to be able to fix this. He was however also painfully aware of Hannah sitting across from them, meaning that he would have to save those caresses for when they returned home.
Not that he could even feel certain that Harry was going to return to the manor, knowing that there was no reason for him to do so, other than maybe that he wanted to be around Draco too.
That thought alone was enough to make his heart flip and his smile widen, so enjoying his time with Harry that it seemed impossible that he wouldn’t feel some of the same.
“Connor and I were just discussing how to move on after lunch,” he stated to stop himself from giving too much away about his relationship with Harry. While he had gotten into the habit of referring to her as Hannah, he had also realised that it seemed to be protocol to refer to each other by last name at the ministry, so that’s what he did as well; absolutely desperate to fit in.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:53 am 

At the mention of Connor, Harry glanced over at her, the cursebreaker watching Draco as she chewed her lunch.
“What did you do before lunch?” he asked almost pragmatically, leaning forward, arm crossed on the tabletop. It underlined that Harry hadn’t brought with him a plate, but allowed him to turn his shoulders, better keeping Draco within view.
Eve with Draco coming home and sharing about his days, Harry hadn’t been in the office for the better part of last week, barely aware of what his own team had been up to, less of all Buchannan’s.
“Robards’s been asking about our progress.”

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1963 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87 ... 99  Next