All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1963 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 99  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:24 am 

This body is a vessel for my mayhem and as long as I can perform bafoonery it doesn’t matter if this stomach is flat or not

Blog: View Blog (0)

Intimacy seemed to fill their interactions more and more, both men getting a better understanding of the other through their work together. It was clear that they were in a process of getting to know each other and that it was likely working a lot faster that it normally would have for them.
He ended the spell with a flourish of his wand, not having learnt anything particularly new, other than he was fairly convinced that the magic had moved slightly, or maybe it had expanded it was hard to tell. It wasn’t something that Draco didn’t already suspected though and while it was nice to have the confirmation that he was right, it didn’t help move him further in his process.
“Done,” he stated, even though he was certain that Potter would be able to feel his magic leaving his body.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:20 am 

Draco's magic left Harry's tissue like tension leaving muscles. It wasn't painful, but Harry felt like putty afterwards, as if he had to learn to hold his own weight all over.
Harry allowed his shoulders to resettle, shifting slightly, but knowing better than to stand before Draco had given him the okay.
"Did you learn anything?" he asked, perfectly on cue for this repeated interaction. He spoke partially out on interest, but in equal parts because that was what he usually did, still unable to read the results of the test in real time.
He did stretch his legs slightly, ankles interlocked.
There was an unmistakable air of eady nonchalance about him, not an ounce of worry about the results.
A smile played at the corner of his mouth. "Is it still killing me, Healer Draco?"

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:29 am 

This body is a vessel for my mayhem and as long as I can perform bafoonery it doesn’t matter if this stomach is flat or not

There was something about being referred to as Healer Draco, even if it was in a joking manner, that made a shiver run down Draco’s spine. He had desperately wanted to become a healer so that he could help people, but had never been allowed to actually work as one, despite passing all of his exams with flying colours.
The work that Draco was doing now was also going to help people, at least if people were willing to look at his work, but it felt much less direct and much less like he was actually doing something to help people.
The one comfort Draco got to have was knowing that he was helping Potter out and that was showing to be a lot more important to him than he thought that it would be.
“I can’t tell if it’s moving or spreading, but it’s definitely one or the other,” Draco informed, not keen on having to tell Potter that, but he also knew that Potter was a big boy and would be able to handle the truth of the matter.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:24 pm 

Harry made a face at that reply, though it was far from mortification. Above all it was a sense of annoyance that they weren't able to keep up to par with the progression of the movement of the magic.
"We'll figure it out," he said, mirroring Draco's professional optimism. While things would undoubtedly change with time, for now Harry remained free from adverse symptoms, though it was hard to tell whether or not that should be accredited to his almost quarantine like conditions.
Taking Draco's words as a parting conclusion, Harry drew his legs back in and stood up. His hands thoughtlessly found the waist of his trousers, allowing them to resettle over his hips. "I'm not yet worried."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:40 pm 

Draco almost wanted to laugh at that but he kept his composure, not wanting Potter to think that he was encouraging this behaviour. He knew that Potter was used to his life being in danger and finding a way out, but this was different, it wasn’t something you could just cast a spell on and it would disappear. Draco knew that this was going to be a lot of very hard work and he had no way of knowing just when they would have an answer to what was wrong with Potter.
“Maybe you should be,” he said with a soft frown instead, not wanting Potter to be panicking, but definitely wanting Potter to at least be concerned about his condition.
It was something that no one had ever seen before and were likely never going to see again. It was so extreme, yet so slow working that it was driving Draco insane with hope and despair at the same time.
“I definitely count of figuring something out, but I just don’t know anymore.”

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:36 pm 

_______

While Harry had otherwise lost all sense of direction, he awoke and knew that be had been exactly one month at Malfoy Manor. He felt it deep in his bones, something betwern a sense of being uprooted for weeks on end, and what perhaps was a budding vitamin D deficiency. Harry had wallowed in that realization for another half hour before getting out of bed.
It was far from ideal but decidedly not nearly as horrible as it could have been, so Harry brazed the day with good spirits. In the shower he had been thinking about how Draco had proposed the alternative, a stay at the St. Mungo's observation ward. While Harry had already cringed at the thought of staying there a few days, he could hardly imagine being devout of company for a month; in that sense, Draco was invaluable.
Aware of rhe fact that he was starting the day with a delay, Harry wasn't particularly frightened when he found the kitchen to be empty. He did, however, feel a twinge of remorse, having come to build this particular habit of theirs.
Not wanting to further offset their patterns, Harry immediately turned to head for the study, finding he could ask Coote to serve a pastry with his tea.
As if summoned, and disregarding the fact that Harry hadn't actually spoken his name out loud, the house elf appeared at the doorway, awkwardly blocking Harry's departure. With a squeaked voice, and much to Harry's surprise, Coote informed Harry that Master Malfoy was waiting for him in the sunroom.
It completely derailed Harry.
"You have one of those?" he asked, too dumbstruck to think of anything else to say.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:50 pm 

While you couldn’t exactly say that it had been a spur of the moment idea, Draco was still fearing that maybe the entire setup was a bad idea. Maybe he had misunderstood Potter and he didn’t want any level of kindness from Draco, outside of their regular work together.
It meant that Draco was now sitting in the sunroom, hair up in a bun with his wand stuck into it, as her per usual, and was waiting for Potter to come join him.
Seven thoughts flew through Draco’s head as he waited for Potter, several times feeling absolutely certain that he had been overstepping and Potter would find him a weirdo. After all, Potter had never directly asked him for anything of the sorts, but Draco had noticed how sad Potter had seemed to be out of the sun for so long and he wanted to make sure that his stay here was as pleasant as possible.
Moving the wands had definitely been a hassle, not something that Draco couldn’t do obviously, but definitely something that had been difficult to him and something he had had to do with great care. In most other cases, Draco would have simply recommended to dismantle the wards and recreate them, but that was just not feasible at Malfoy Manor. Draco simply had too many volatile objects that would jump at the chance to get out and that wasn’t a risk every worth taking.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:29 am 

Venturing further into the Manor than he had ever had before, Harry had twice had to ask Coote to restate his directions. Eventually, Harry had crossed the house, and the back facade became glass instead of brick, a heavily planted sunroom revealing itself to Harry.
Even from a distance, Harry saw Draco seated at a tableset.
In the late may morning sun, Draco's hair was white gold and his skin was pearl. It made Harry's heart ache, never really realising how much he had missed the sun before seeing Draco bathed in it. Harry wanted to pull the wand out from his hair more than ever before.
And still, Harry stalled at the threshold. After a month at the Manor, new habits had formed and after dancing around window sills, careful not to breach the perimiter of the wards, this felt almost violent.
"Does this count as the outside?" Harry asked, a giddy smile inevitably growing on his lips, unable to stop.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:10 am 

There was something about seeing Potter appear in the doorway to the sunroom that Draco hadn’t anticipated. It felt more intimate than their regular shared breakfasts in the kitchen, but Draco was going to get over himself, not taking note of the shiver running down his spine, feeling that Potter deserved to get to enjoy his breakfast in the sun.
“Only one way to find out,” he stated with a crooked grin.
He knew that it was probably too cheeky, only appreciating that Potter took his precautions, but he also felt that Potter should know him well enough by now to know that Draco wouldn’t ask him to do something that would harm him. At least, Draco desperately hoped that this was something that Potter already knew.
“Do you trust me?” He asked, unsure what answer he expected, but he definitely knew what answer that he hoped for.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:27 pm 

It was rare that Harry saw Draco grin, and it knocked the air out of his lungs. With the way the case was progressing, Harry didn't get to see Draco self-satisfied that often; right then an there, Draco looked like a boy having gotten his first outstanding
Harry made a face at the question, the corners of his mouth pulling in a sheepish admission, mind still partially static. Of course he did; that wasn't a new revalation, even though Draco had come to sound shy when asking about it.
"I wouldn't have stayed if I didn't," Harry answered with a smile, knowingly expanding the scope of his trust to span the entirety of the passing month.
His eyes had drifted, following the seam of the doorway as if he'd be able to see the shimmer of a ward, but came up short. In private, he knew he had made the decision to trust Draco when Harry showed up at his doorstep the very first time.
When Harry stepped forward he met no resistance upon crossing the threshold, finding no ward that prevented him from leaving the main body of the Manor. He took another step before meeting sunlight; there, he stopped.
Cold to begin with, the Manor had done nothing to counter it, and Harry had just resigned himself to being cold. Especially through the glass panes, the May sun was warm against his skin, the entire room containing a warmer climate than England could ever muster outside.
The sound that escaped him was pure bliss, stepping into warm water with sore muscles. He closed his eyes, but his lips parted in a chuckle.
"You moved the wards," Harry observed with gratitude, tipping his chin upwards to better meet the sunshine.
Lazily, he opened his eyes, gaze finding Draco through hooded eyes. Harry's smile only widened in a jape. "Or you've kept this hidden from me all this time."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:10 pm 

Finally getting to see Potter enter the sunroom, the goal that he had been working for since he first heard Potter mention missing the sun. It was very satisfactory, Draco feeling good about knowing that he had been able to give Potter something that he had been missing, even if that thing happened to be something as simple as being able to see the sun.
“I moved the wards,” Draco confirmed, finally looking properly up at Potter, who had fully entered the sunroom. Immediately, Draco’s mouth dried up and his heart was suddenly in his throat, stuck by how Potter definitely seemed to be in his element in the sun. There was no way around it, Harry Potter was absolutely beautiful as the morning sun stuck his hair and his skin, making it appear almost as if he was glowing.
Draco didn’t have anything more to say, having wanted to gloat about his own cleverness, but absolutely no words seemed to be able to leave his mouth. Instead, his gaze just rested on Potter for what was likely far too long.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:01 pm 

Harry couldn't help but laugh, drunk on sunshine. His eyes had once again lulled closed, an easy smile on his lip, completely satiated.
"Brilliant," Harry exhaled, a greater sense of gratitude than expected. When he a week ago had off handedly admitted to missing the sun, he hadn't ever expected anything to come from it; he probably didn't even realize the extent of his own deprivation. He had come at a conplete standstil at the first sunny spot he encountered, and it felt impossible to leave it now that he'd found it.
"That must've taken a lot of effort," he said. He tipped his chin back down, eyes turning towards Draco to confirm it; finding that the other was already looking at him made his heart skip a beat. It was a nothing gesture, and yet it seemed to solidify that Draco had done it for Harry and was gagueing his reaction. Harry felt even warmer, a smile pulling his lips apart.
"Thank you."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:15 pm 

Potter’s compliment sent a shiver down Draco’s spine, feeling that he had definitely achieved what he had set out to do by extending the wards. It was difficult to tell whether it was because of the gesture or simply because it was the firs time Draco saw him in the sun, but Potter literally was shining and it was difficult to not be caught in his orbit.
It was definitely a dangerous realisation for Draco, mostly because it made him realise that it wasn’t the first time that he had found Potter beautiful. It was a meaningless line of thought though, because Draco knew that nothing could, nor should, happen between them ever.
“I want you to be comfortable,” Draco explained, finding that all of his effort had been absolutely worth it upon seeing just how happy that it had made him. It made Draco realise that he would do a lot of things to make Potter smile like that again.
“You are of course welcome to use the sunroom whenever you please,” Draco added, feeling that it was likely a given, but he wanted to be absolutely certain that Potter knew that this was entirely for him.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:33 pm 

Harry didn't even care that Draco's increased hospitality spoke of the prospect of an even longer stay at the Manor, hardly paying it any mind. Right then and there Harry felt like he could go another month, revitalized not only by the sun but by Draco's unexpected attentiveness and kindness.
"I will," he grinned, not wanting to give the impression of the contrary. The addition of the sunroom to the narrow pallette of spaces Harry fared confidently in was invaluable, immeditely expanding Harry's world by a quarter.
"I might even bring my work out here," he added, only halfway a hypothetical exhageration, as he finally stepped further into the room.
When he took a seat at the table, Harry didn't feel cold for the first time in a month.
His immeadiate impulse was to learn forwards over the table, wanting to brush a touch to Draco's hand not only in gratitude but to share the simple pleasure of having warm hands. In the end, Harry only leaned forwards, forearms stretching across the table in an interrupted gesture.
"My office windows are enchanted to be like this," he shared instead, his smile crooked in what felt like an almost juvenile admission. It was unlikely that Draco would ever visit Harry at his DMLE office, with the false windows always emitting bright sunshine, but when Harry didn't dare press his appreciation into Draco's hand, he struggled to convey it elsewise. "Morning sun."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:44 pm 

“I always liked the morning sun the best,” Draco stated, not that he needed to explain himself or even have a reason for bringing Potter to the sunroom, that much he knew, but it felt like a natural part of them getting to know each other better and Draco cherished that greatly.
It felt like they were becoming actual and genuine friends, something that had struck Draco so many times in the past, but he doubted that he would ever stop feeling a sense of wonder at the realisation. It seemed almost forbidden and yet Potter seemed to keep giving him more trust, more friendship, as if nothing was standing between them anymore.
Part of Draco wanted to comment on how natural Potter looked in the sun, how clear it was that it was his element, but he stopped himself before doing so. It wasn’t the first time a compliment had been on the tip of his tongue, only for him to swallow it once more. It wasn’t ever worth the risk of ruining what tentative friendship they had finally managed to build up.
“If it helps you feel more normal, you can definitely take your work out here,” Draco added with a shrug, not that he wanted Potter out of his study, having actually found it quite useful to have Potter around him, but he also didn’t want to deprive him of something as simple as a better work place. They were going to work out what was going to work best for them both.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:38 am 

Harry had barely been seated for a moment before Coote served him a fresh pot of tea, a pitcher of milk and a plate of lemon biscuits. It made Harry's attention drift, eyes dipping only for as long as it was necessarit to assure he wouldn't accidentally knock anything over.
"Would you join me?" Harry asked with a smile, seeming genuinely vested in whether or not Draco could - or wanted - to spend another day with him. He wanted to speak it into existence that he had no claim to the space, and that Draco hadn't gifted him a separate office of his own.
Harry was certainly aware of the fact that he had intruded upon Draco's workspace for the passing month, and he realized there was a possibility that Draco could do with a day back to normalcy. While that was rationally understandable, it made Harry's heart ache at the prospect of spending the day apart when Draco had showed him such kindness, feeling like he was hardly through expressing his gratitude. 
"If its not sufficiently warded for any experiments, maybe you'd lend an ear for mine," Harry said, his smile sheepish, aware of the fact that he'd personally enjoy Draco's company, yet balancing not overreaching, not wanting to tie Draco up in further commitments.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:37 am 

It was likely just because they had been spending so much time together through this month, a force of habit more than anything else, yet it still made Draco’s heart flip in his chest when Potter specifically asked him to join him if he were to move his work. It was something that touched Draco, even f it was likely meant as nothing other than Potter not wanting to be alone anywhere in the manor, yet Draco still saw it as a compliment that he was better than solitude.
“Yeah,” he said, not a moment of hesitation, despite how the answer was mostly just breathed. He didn’t doubt for as much as a second that he would join Potter to work in the sunroom, even if it would be impractical, all of his research being in the study, together with all of his tools and what else he might need. However, maybe it would be nice with a break, something to give a new look on the case, even if it was just a change of their physical location. You could never know exactly what ended up doing it.
“Yeah, I would,” he properly confirmed, a soft smile playing at his lips at the idea of just spending their entire day in the sunroom.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:57 am 

When Draco agreed, Harry couldn't keep a smile off his lips. They had built such a tentative routine between the two of then that even the most minute change felt like it held the power to topple everything over, and Harry was unreasonably thrilled that Draco so easily adapted to Harry's whims.
At some point through out the passing month, they had stopped spending time together due to a sense of obligation. Harry recognized it in his own behaviour, aware of the fact that he had come to enjoy Draco's company independedly from their work, and for the first time, he thought he saw reciprocration in Draco's smile. It made Harry's heart do somersaults, an confirmation of the personal development they'd made over the course of the past decade.
Harry realized what he felt was pride.
"A change of scenery," he grinned, a boyish justifiation to something he just felt like indulging in. They had worked tiredlessly and fruitlessly through the weekends, and Harry felt like they were permitted to spend a Saturday on a Wednesday.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:14 am 

______
Just as Draco had suspected, it had been highly impractical for them to drag all of their relevant paperwork into the sunroom, even if they had Coote to help them out. Still, it was clear to Draco just how good it was for the both of them with a change of scenery, but probably more so for Potter than it was for him.
It wasn’t like Draco had never had the option to work in the sunroom if he had so desired, but he had just never thought to do so, having always preferred to keep his work in the study. However, there was something almost juvenile about having moving, bringing thoughts back to doing homework with your mates and not having a care in the work.
Their work had been much less intense as a result of it, that much Draco could tell, but part of him really didn’t mind all that. They had worked through weekends and any other natural breaks that there might have been, had they been at a regular office, so maybe it was okay to have a break like this, where they still worked but in a much more laid back manner.
Draco had once again been drowning himself in a medical report, inadvertently searching for the time Potter’s temperature was first mentioned. He knew that he should probably just let it go, but he had a very deep sense that it was related to something and he was desperate to figure out what.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:30 pm 

Harry had greatly taken advantage of the informal air of their setting, structure to the wind. While it had proved not significantly more effective, Harry felt like it had served its purpose of offering a new interpretation of the data at hand. He had all but unraveled the journals, picked them apart to isolate anything that might prove relevant, discarding the bulk mass. In the back of his mind, he realized he would have to rely on Draco and his magic to put the files back together.
When he returned to the desk, it was well into the afternoon and in the warmth of the room, he had finally shed a layer of clothes. The sweater laid abandoned over the arm of a park bench, and Harry had pushed the sleeves of his shirt up to the elbows. Marking his return, Harry placed both hands on the lip if the table, leaning slightly over Draco's work. He was unsurprised to find him reading through the journal entry from his hospitalization after the war, almost certain Draco was looking for mentions of his temperature.
Unintentionally, a chuckle escaped him.
"Can I pick your brain?" Harry asked, smile toying at the corner of his mouth as his eyes found Draco. It hadn't been his immediate intention, but he thought Draco could do with a break from that specific task. "I could use your input, if you have the time."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1963 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 99  Next