All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1963 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 99  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:48 pm 

This body is a vessel for my mayhem and as long as I can perform bafoonery it doesn’t matter if this stomach is flat or not

Blog: View Blog (0)

Even if they were getting friendlier together and were having an easier back and forth, it was still incredibly difficult for Draco to figure out what Potter wanted from him. Mostly, he figured that Potter was just a lot more used to being around people all the time.
“Yes,” he stated, could have easily just left it there, but it seemed that Potter was just going to keep asking him questions until he was satisfied or they were going to bed. It was also helped by the wine in his system, making it slightly easier for Draco to believe that Potter wasn’t in it to **** it over.
“Mother couldn’t bear to return to the manor,” he added, only briefly glancing over at Potter, almost as if trying to gauge his reaction to that. After all, Potter was the reason that he and his mother even could return in the first place, it was just that his mother had decided to turn over a completely new leaf.
“She begged me to come with her,” he added as well, taking another sip from the wine, almost as if to wash down the words that he had just said.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:29 pm 

Harry was surprised to hear Malfoy share beyond what Harry had asked of him; the pause Malfoy held made it hard to anticipate the addition. It was the mention of his mother that made Harry thoughtlessly turn his head to once again get Malfoy properly in his sight.
To say Harry had often thought about Narcissa Malfoy was an exaggeration, but she existed in Harry’s consciousness different than Malfoy himself did. Still, a decade later, Harry felt a sense of unresolved gratitude towards her.
For a moment Harry considered pressing for information, interested to hear that unspoken destination. In the end, he decided against it, thinking it to be beyond what their relation was.
"How’s that been for you?" Harry asked instead, his voice gentle and without judgement. A heartbeat after, Harry felt like he needed an addition that defined the scope of the question. "Living here alone."

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:43 pm 

This body is a vessel for my mayhem and as long as I can perform bafoonery it doesn’t matter if this stomach is flat or not

Despite how much they had opened up to one another, Draco still wasn’t a huge fan of just opening right up to Potter. He had always been a private person, even back in the day at Hogwarts to his friends, but even more so to people who he didn’t consider himself close with.
He did want to give Potter a chance, but there were limits to just how much lament he was going to bestow upon Potter.
“Good,” he stated, his tone slightly cooler than it had been before. Obviously, it hadn’t been ideal to live in the manor alone, but Draco had found it to be the best solution for him and he had made it work for himself. It was as good as it was going to get and that was enough.
“It’s been good.”

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:09 pm 

The two glasses of wine seemed to make Harry’s ears dull to the sudden chill in Malfoy’s voice. He tipped his head away with an acknowledging, little sound as he took a sip of wine.
"I live alone, too,”"Harry felt like sharing. His and Malfoy’s situation was distinctly different, but similarly, Harry lived alone through external circumstances, and stuck had by it because he had come to cherish his space.
Harry didn’t particularly worry about Malfoy’s sanity; he hadn’t asked because he thought Malfoy might be lonely, either. The Manor simply seemed so vast it felt uncanny, but Harry realized that might be due to its unfamiliarity. Then again, Grimmauld Place hadn’t been particularly warm and inviting.
"I like that better," he admitted.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:29 pm 

Draco nodded softly at that, a bit surprised to learn that Potter lived alone, having thought that he would want to be around people constantly with the amount he was talking. Then again, maybe it was better to live alone when you spent your day surrounded by people as well, and not just stayed at him constantly, like Draco himself did.
“Yeah?” He asked, intrigued to learn even just a little bit more about Potter.
Draco hadn’t been one to keep up with gossip magazines, having figured that whatever he could read in the would just be upsetting anyway. Thus, he knew next to nothing about what Potter had been up to, only the very broadest of strokes that he wouldn’t be able to miss from scanning the prophet.
“Bought yourself somewhere nice after the war?” Draco asked, knowing that Potter’s familial home had been burnt down, so there was no way that he could have inherited something.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:18 pm 

The question was unexpected, making a smile tug at the corners of Harry’s mouth; he had to look over at Malfoy to see if he was pulling his leg.
Surprisingly, Harry saw neither a joke nor ill intention in Malfoy’s expression. Malfoy seemed like he was asking because he wanted to know, something that made Harry’s smile grow wider, humoured.
"Sure," he said, finding that to be the literal answer to the question asked. Harry’s voice was airy, entertained despite what was an unintentional harsh line of conversation. "I don’t live there, though. Ginny does."
There was no resentment in Harry’s voice, the divorce too distant and right for him to take any offence to the matter. Harry had, in fact, bought a house for them, but he had not fought to keep it when they divorced. The house had barely been theirs together, and much less Harry’s.
"I inherited a house on Grimmauld’s Place from my godfather; I’ve lived there for years now."

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:26 pm 

Potter’s divorce from the Weasley girl had been all over the news and had been one of few pieces of information that Draco had not been able to avoid about Potter. He didn’t have any thoughts about it, having just figured that they had grown apart, as adults regularly did, and had decided to call it quits.
Rather, it was the thing that Potter mentioned next that piqued Draco’s interest more than anything else he had said.
He knew that Potter’s godfather was Sirius Black, a distant relative, so for him to have inherited a house had to mean that he had inherited the London house. Draco had only ever visited it once, but he remembered clearly how his mother’s aunt had doted over both of them, a memory that made his stomach churn.
“You live in the old Black house?” He asked, looking at Potter with new interest. It seemed to be a weird choice for him, but then again, maybe it hadn’t actually been much of a choice.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:02 pm 

There was an unmistakable look of startled confusion flashing across Harry’s expression; it took him a moment to mentally piece together how Malfoy had so quickly understood that, given how little information Harry had actually shared. When he did, it made Harry smile.
"Yeah," he answered, a surprised laughter in his voice. He straightened his posture, abandoning the glass of wine on the side table. The smile remained on his features, finding this to be an unexpectedly interesting tangent.
Harry sat up straight, elbows on his knees as he leaned forward. "I do."
Shifting his seat allowed for Harry to properly look at Malfoy for the first time since entering the drawing room, eye him with renewed interest. It wasn’t that he didn’t understand the criss-crossed relations of the wizarding pureblood families, Harry just hadn’t considered the fact that Malfoy knew of the house’s existence, not considering how it had been used by the Order during the war.
The effect of the wine feeling amplified by his upright position, Harry struggled to phrase the question that explored not why Malfoy knew it but in what context it had come up. He had to draw a blank.
"I’m surprised you know about it. People don’t usually," Harry’s smile went crooked, boyish. "I’d say that’s its best attribute."

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:03 pm 

Upon noticing Potter’s startled look, Draco realised that he probably wasn’t meant to know exactly what house he was living in, especially not going on that little. It was a very different deal for Draco, who’s name was literally on the door and thus couldn’t run away from it. However, it was very out of the norm for a Potter to be making their life in a Black house; those two bloodlines only crossing extremely rarely.
“Your godfather was my mother’s cousin,” Draco reminded him, having spend a considerable amount of time studying his own family history; some forced and some voluntarily.
Despite all the horrors attributed to both sides of Draco’s family, he still found it fascinating to find history records so well documented that he hadn’t been able to resist the deep dive. It also meant that he recognised the address of Grimmauld Place, and not so much because he happened to know that he had once visited as a child.
“Aunt Walburga adored my mother, so she regularly asked us to visit, but we rarely did.”

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:10 pm 

"No, I know," Harry said brightly, the subtle buzz of the wine amplifying his interest. Harry was in regular contact with Andromeda, especially after the relationship with Molly had grown strained after the divorce. It just hadn’t immediately connected that Narcissa knew of the house when Bellatrix seemingly hadn’t.
It was also entirely surreal to hear Malfoy speak of the woman Harry only knew as an unfavourable, unpleasant portrait in his hallway, though that perhaps explained the knowledge difference. It made a smile appear and waver when Harry was at a loss on how to easily explain why that remark had humoured him so immensely.
Two and a half glasses of wine in his system, Harry figured Malfoy would have to visit the house himself.
"The Order used it as a safe house during the war, is all," Harry instead offered, finding that to be a better contextualisation of his surprise.
He spoke freely, seeing no use in garnering a secret that was well over a decade old; especially not when it had since become Harry’s house to do with as he pleased.
His smile was wide and bordering on a laugh, looking at Malfoy with immense enjoyment at the revelation. "I don’t think any of them realized you knew about the house."

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:23 am 

Despite the fact that it was probably more than a decade since the house had been used as a safe house for the order, it still felt like Potter was over sharing in a big degree to Draco. In a way, he couldn’t help but wish that Potter hadn’t told him, because he felt like he had to tell someone else.
It was weird how urges like those could stay in him for years, still feeling very much like the war was still raging, even if normal life had resumed for most people.
“I think it’s lucky that no one realised that,” he stated, having never thought to mention it to anyone in the Dark Lord’s ranks, as his mother had never seemed to make a big deal of it either. The two of them could have really wreaked havoc with that information.
Draco was pleased that they hadn’t known.
“It was a smart move though,” he stated, taking a sip from his wine as he allowed the feeling to settle properly in. “As far as I recall, that house is more warded than any other place I’ve ever seen.”

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:12 am 

Malfoy's apt observation made the corner of Harry's mouth quirk.
"Yeah," he agreed. Part of the intrigue of the conversation laid precisely in the realisation of how narrowly the house on Grimmauld had remained a secret. It retrospectively heightened the stakes, and Harry wasn't blind to the fact that that might have tipped the balance of the war.
"Thanks for not telling," Harry said, eyes not on Malfoy as he spoke. He had turned to reach for his wine glass, attention only resettling on the other as Harry relaxed back into the sofa.
He smiled at Malfoy over the rim of the glass before taking a drink.
The fact that Malfoy had kept quiet about the house probably wasn't an intentional decision, and such nothing that really required gratitude. Harry, however, realized it might have been entirely by design that Narcissa Malfoy had kept her quiet. Her son was easier to reach.
When the glass left Harry's lips, mind mind was already elsewhere.
"It is," he confirmed, finally adressing Malfoy's follow up recollection. Both Harry's hands found the stem of his wineglass, slowly and carefully turning it clock wise.
"It makes it a lovely place to live." It wasn't that Harry at this day and age had much of an issue with the press, but he still immensely enjoyed having an unlisted adress. "Ghouls and all."

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:29 am 

Even if Draco hadn’t visited the house for years, he knew that it was a place with a rich history, probably one of the most complete collections of wizarding history still alive anywhere. There was a lot to be said about how the Black family had been when they were around, but at least their snobbery had meant keeping a lot of history alive.
A part of Draco badly wanted to return, wanting to see if it was as bad as he remembered it, but also not feeling like he was in a place to ask that of Potter. After all, he spoke loudly to his favourite part of the house being how anonymous it was and how no one got in.
He did hear the compliment that Potter snuck him, something that barely felt like it should be a compliment, but still sounded so sincere that it made Draco’s heart skip a beat. However, Potter was quick to move on, so Draco decided to do that same.
“That’s lovely,” he stated, genuinely happy that Potter had somewhere that felt like home to him.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:34 pm 

Wednesday marked the first full week at the Manor, and Harry had grown tired of corresponding by mail. He had spent the morning in the kitchen, talking to his immediate team on his cellphone, needing to speak considerations out loud. Nor for the first time, he felt grateful at his insistence to institute a carry-your-bloody-cell policy throughout his team.
While work with Malfoy had become perfectly pleasant and productive, Harry had needed the input from someone better aware of DMLE standard protocols and possible archival leads. He had spent the majority of the morning talking to his Auror Constable Szczepanski, who was carrying out the task of fieldmapping Towthorpe in his absence.
She had offered some feedback in return, above all peeved that Harry plainly had refused to explain his whereabouts. After a moment of consideration, she had offered to request the archived log from the Cursebreaker’s wand, wanting to confirm that the detection spells he had listed on the report matched to the ones cast.
Harry had thanked her, reminded her to stay out of the house when she and her team returned on sight, before hanging up and drawing back to the study, mind reeling with new possibilities and angles.
Thrumming a three tone knock with his knuckles, Harry opened the door to the study.
"Have you considered the possibility that whatever we’re looking for might have been planted?" Harry said, barely a foot inside the door. His eyes were brightly on Malfoy, a spark of either worry or renewed interest in the case visible in his eye. "Recently, I mean."

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:02 pm 

While he tried not to think too much of it, Draco had realised that the Wednesday marked the first full week of of Potter staying at the manor. Of course Draco hadn’t thought that it would only take him a week to figure out this thing that was going on with Potter, but he had really hoped that he would have been a lot further with his research.
It was already starting to become the norm that Potter sometimes would work in the kitchen, likely to stay in contact with his team at the ministry, and would always knock if he entered the study after Draco had went in there. It rarely meant that he actually waited for Draco to answer, knowing that the knock was warning enough for him.
Something that Draco didn’t think that he was likely going to get used to though, was just how quickly Potter started talking, expecting Draco to be able to follow along no matter what he had just been doing. It was likely standard procedure at the ministry, but Draco was still very much used to working alone, so it usually took him a couple of minutes before he caught on.
“It’s possible,” he stated with a shrug, not wanting to completely turn down anything, not based on what little he knew. “What makes you ask?”

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:21 pm 

"I hadn’t," Harry was quick to clarify, though that hadn’t been why Malfoy had asked. Malfoy’s voice sounded diluted between Harry’s own racing thoughts, Szczepanski probably igniting a bigger spiral than she realized.
Harry stepped inside, closing the door behind him, yet made no intent to seat himself at the desk, too restless for a chair.
"Laura back at the office has questioned why we’ve taken the Cursebreaker’s word at face value," he started, and even that was a fragmented thought. Harry’s eyes had drifted to a near by collection of trinkets, though he wasn’t really looking at them. "And I didn’t – its really not one of the things you usually question."
Harry had worked with Peterson on several other cases, and had had no reason to believe he might have filled out a faulty report. But then again, Szczepanski was just the right kind of cynical to challenge Harry on that assumption.
Historically, Harry’s mind worked faster in a challenge.
"Could someone invoke magic of this caliber in the time it usually takes to dismantle a ward?" Harry’s eyes finally found Malfoy’s, though he didn’t hold his entire attention. "That’s the question, really, isn’t it? She’s having the log of his wand released to confirm whether or not his report was factual."

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:40 pm 

It seemed really was starting to seem like every time Draco thought that he had narrowed down what he was looking for, Potter seemed to bring up something new that he could look into. It wasn’t necessarily a bad thing, in fact, Draco was thrilled that Potter was looking into garnering more information for the case as well, but it did leave his head spinning more often than not.
“Yeah, I guess,” he stated, finding that there was very little to go on with this lead, but if Potter thought that it would be worth it to look into, he was going to say that they should at least give it a go.
As he looked at Potter, the first time he had seen him since the lunch, he was reminded on another test he desperately wanted to run on hi. It wasn’t too different from the test he had run on Potter the first day, but it was a lot more extensive.
“Now that I got you though,” he started, not wanting to stop Potter from talking about his theories, but he also really wanted to get the test done before nightfall. “I have found another test that I’d very much like to run, would that be terribly disruptive for your plans?”

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:15 pm 

The change of subject made Harry’s brain stall, too abrupt for him to immediately comprehend it.
"Yeah," he said, probably before he even registered what Malfoy had asked him; as of then, Harry simply welcomed any opportunity to get out of desk work.
He attempted to ground his attention on Malfoy and the fact that he had something new to try. "Of course."
Actively stepping away from any distractions, Harry moved further into the room, meeting Malfoy by his desk. There would come nothing of his thoughts until Szczepanski got her hands on the source material, anyway, and Malfoy having made process was good news that deserved his full attention.
His eyes dropped to the books on Malfoy’s desk, thoughtlessly scratching at his wrist.
"What’ve you found?"

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:36 am 

While Draco still didn’t really like presenting Potter with things that he wasn’t even sure would be helpful, he was getting a whole lot better at doing it anyway and just moving forward with them. It would probably not seem like a big deal to most, but Draco was desperate for a breakthrough, for actually being helpful.
“It’s akin to the one I ran on you the first day,” he admitted, having learnt that it was a lot easier to work with Potter if he just told him exactly what was going to go down. It was a big change for Draco, but he was trying to embrace it and work with it.
“But much more thorough and complex,” he added, running his hand over his hair, only to realise that he had his wand stuck into again. Not thinking, he carefully picked it out, letting the hair fall around his shoulders, before he pushed it away from his face.
“It’s probably gonna take me a while, so if you have anything time sensitive going on, I can wait.”

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:41 am 

Harry shook his head no. The only meeting set in stone usual weekly management meeting and that was still up in the air, Harry attentive to Robards’s order not to contact him without any results. As the pace of their work became apparent, no answers seeming to come, Harry wondered if the Head Auror would reconsider that imposed radio silence.
"Now’s perfect," he said, happy to hear that it was another tentative diagnostic spell. While Harry had no expectations to it being to diagnose a source, it would hopefully specify the gravity of the situation.
With a glance that had become second nature in the matter of 7 days, Harry’s eyes darted to the cascade of blond hair falling over Malfoy’s shoulders, finding it equally striking each time.
"Do you want me to sit?" he offered, not immediately understanding what Malfoy considered to be a while. His eyes returned to Malfoy’s, reengaged.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1963 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 99  Next