All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1963 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 99  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:57 pm 

This body is a vessel for my mayhem and as long as I can perform bafoonery it doesn’t matter if this stomach is flat or not

Blog: View Blog (0)

Once again, Draco was surprised by the ease with which Potter just followed along to the whims of Draco’s work. He knew that taking someone’s could feel extremely intrusive, but it was very important to Draco that he would be able to take a proper look at it.
“Yeah, sure,” he said, untangling his wand from his hair, letting the long, blond strands fall and frame his face, as he went to look at his bookshelves. He knew for certain that he had an empty, uncursed vial lying around somewhere, and he was going to be needing that.
“Give me a second,” he stated, as he finally managed to find the vial he had been looking for, brushing the thin layer of dust off of it, before moving back towards Potter.
It was a spell he performed regularly, usually on smaller objects, but Draco felt confident that it would be easy enough to change his process to be applicable to a human. With careful hands, he opened the vial and placed it on an empty corner on a nearby desk, not wanting to be caught unprepared for this.
“Alright, are you alright? Are you ready?” He asked, wanting to show Potter that he was willing to work with him in the best way possible. They would both have to set aside huge amounts of pride to get to work together, but Draco figured that it was going to be worth it.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:19 pm 

Harry stood up when Malfoy confirmed that he would be able to do it immediately, the weight of either exhaustion or reluctancy slowing his movements. He took a few steps away from his desk to ease their mobility. In expectation Harry thoughtlessly pushed up the sleeve of his sweater, starting on undoing the button of his dress shirt underneath.
It was only once standing, Malfoy approaching with the vial, that Harry even considered that maybe he should have had his reservations about the whole ordeal. Extracting a signature was far from everyday magic, and failure to maintain it stable through-out could be detrimental to both parties involved; nothing permanently damaging, but certainly enough to warrant another few days in bed, his centre of gravity disturbed.
Harry realized he had no reason to put that much faith in Malfoy’s capabilities; but then again, no reason to doubt them, either.
"I’m fine," Harry responded, a small smile at tugging at the corner of his mouth at the sudden care audible in Malfoy’s voice. He rolled up the shirt sleeve past his elbow, his smile widening at the bare skin, blue veins visible at the joint.
Harry offered Malfoy his arm, palm upturned, as his gaze resettled on Malfoy’s eyes. "Don’t care much to look at it, but I’m fine. Go ahead."

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:03 pm 

This body is a vessel for my mayhem and as long as I can perform bafoonery it doesn’t matter if this stomach is flat or not

The very sudden prospect of having to be the one to draw blood from Potter was overwhelming to Draco.
He had fully expected for Potter to not want Draco to get anywhere near him with the knife, especially after the wild theory that Draco had just put ahead. It showed Draco that Potter still trusted him somehow, trusted him enough to actually draw blood from him such that he could get the signature.
It made his head spin.
“Yeah, alright,” he said, going back to his desk after a knife. He knew that he had one lying around that was fairly sharp still, still finding the prospect intimidating, yet he also knew that it was just something that he needed to get over with.
The knife felt awkward in his hand, knowing just how it would look if someone were to walk in on him, even if he knew that there was no one to walk in on them.
“You sure you want me to do this?”

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:25 pm 

The sight of the knife made Harry’s insides churn, probably even more so at Malfoy’s hesitation. It didn’t feel surgical at it had at the Ministry, or when he had had his blood drawn at St. Mungo’s. Looking at Malfoy, Harry struggled to differentiate if his discomfort was due to him or the context.
Harry perfectly understood Malfoy’s hesitation, and the necessary amount of mutual trust they were so tentative to exhibit.
"Yeah," he said, certain despite the way his face had paled. Harry would gladly take that first step, just one among many incremental signs of trusts. In a moment of shared vulnerability, Harry turned his hand, baring the back of his hand.
While Harry had never considered that he could draw his own blood, he was sure he wouldn’t be able to keep his hand steady. Harry didn’t look down at the lettering carved into his skin.
"I’ve lost my tolerance for it with age," Harry smiled, the joke ill-timed but genuine. Thinking about Umbridge’s detentions made him light-headed, only now years later. He might have been able to draw his own signature once, but he had grown unable to stomach the sight.
Not allowing either of them to linger, Harry turned his hand over, extending it another bit for his joint to go taut.
"It’s fine, Coote’s here to catch me if I faint." His smile remained, albeit just a tug at the corner of his mouth, his attention on Malfoy. "Go ahead."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:48 pm 

Despite the poor timing of the jokes, Draco appreciated the attempts to lighten up the deep tension in the room. When Draco had suggested that they get Potter’s current signature immediately, he hadn’t really thought of just how extreme it would seem to have to take a knife to Potter’s skin.
It seemed extremely far from where their relationship had any reason to be, yet Draco also knew that it was necessary. If nothing else, he would be able to see if anything was wrong with Potter’s signature in general, even if it should turn out that his theory was wrong.
“Alright, look away then,” he said in a soft voice, as he moved in closer, gingerly holding the underside of Potter’s arm up.
His hand was surprisingly steady as he moved towards the elbow joint, knowing that that was the best place to make a cut to draw out the signature. It was all about balance after all.
Draco almost felt sick to his stomach as the knife finally hit skin, making only a small mark, just enough to be able to draw blood, but not enough to make it gush.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:05 pm 

By Harry’s own standards, he already was. His attention remained fixated on Malfoy, his face tipped down towards Harry’s arm, completely focused on the work ahead. Harry was equally entranced, Malfoy doing a better job of keeping his thoughts occupied than anything else in the room. Though Harry knew this wasn’t a diagnostic spell, Harry was still trying to read any conclusions as they might dawn upon Malfoy’s features.
Harry did what he could to keep steady, keeping a steady breath through the cut, the cold metal against his skin barely making him jump. He exhaled as the knife drew across his skin.
"Doesn’t it ever get in the way?" Harry said once the knife’s edge had left his skin, daring to fill the silence without worrying about ruining the cut. "Your hair."
The way Malfoy was angled left the blond hair cascade down in a curtain between them, partially obscuring Malfoy’s features. Though Harry didn’t look down to confirm it, it must have been dangerously close to dragging through the beads of blood, tainting the white-blond strands. Harry had to fight the urge to push it behind Malfoy’s ear, if only to prevent it from staining; though, despite his question, Harry doubted that would ever be the case.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:17 pm 

The question seemed ill-timed, though Draco realised that it was probably just for Potter to keep himself distracted, having just admitted that he was squeamish about it.
The long hair had never been a conscious decision, rather it was just something that had happened to him as time went by. He had always vehemently been against anything that could make people compare him to his father, having a visceral reaction to the idea; yet the hair had just grown on him.
“It happens,” he said, as he placed the knife back on his desk, grabbing his wand in the process and immediately started on the spell. It was highly complicated magic, and Draco desperately needed to be able to concentrate. He felt that he had already done more than enough harm to Potter, so the least that he could do was to get this spell right.
His hands were moving between the open wound he had just made on Potter’s arm and the open vial he had on his desk, softly muttering the incantation as he went. It took a while, but eventually soft silvery threads started appearing, causing a sigh of relief to flow through Draco, even as he kept his focus on the work at hand.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:37 pm 

The brief window that allowed for conversation had closed as quickly as it had opened itself. Malfoy hadn’t offered a lot of insights regarding the style of his hair, but then again, Harry hadn’t asked for it. The length of Malfoy’s hair was none of Harry’s business, and neither did it warrant any justification; Harry had only been struck by an instinct to help preserve it now that it for once was down in Malfoy’s face.
Harry felt the spell working a moment before he heard the relief in Malfoy’s breathing. He felt the drag of the exposed magic up his arm, feeling it settle all the way at the back of his throat. It made him blink, the sensation threatening to make his eyes water.
Malfoy remained a hazy figure though glassy eyes, his voice soft in the silence of the room. Harry didn’t take his eyes off of him, thoughtlessly steadying his breathing to Malfoy’s, quietly in awe of his work.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:49 pm 

Even as the spell worked, Draco still kept full focus on what he was doing; watching the bright, silvery threads that lit up the room as they made their way to the vial. It wasn’t something he could rush, knowing that he was going to have to take his time if he wanted to get a useful copy, yet he also didn’t want to keep Potter too long.
Eventually though, Draco noticed a change in the strands, knowing that they were done soon. It was another huge relief, finding that the spell work was extremely exhausting, yet it was also with a sense of accomplishment that he managed to actually get it done.
When the strands finally became thing enough that Draco was able to cut them off and seal off Potter’s wound with no scarring, he was bone tired. It was still highly satisfying to finally close the vial, knowing that he had something tangible to work with, even if his idea was going to end up being a dead end.
A deep silence had fallen over the study, both of them aware of the gravity of Draco’s earlier request and just what it meant that Draco had needed this signature.
“I’ll make Coote bring us some tea,” he stated, finally breaking the silence.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:17 am 

Harry hadn’t registered the pull of the spell before Malfoy cut the threads. Harry felt his weight resettle on steady ground, not having realized how out of his own skin the extraction had made him feel before it stopped.
"Yeah," he exhaled, thoughtlessly bending his arm at the elbow, an instinct to put pressure on the cut and keep it elevated, even though Malfoy had expertly spelled it shut. The motion made Harry’s hand prickle; while he had been uncomfortably aware of the lines of his veins up his arm, his fingers had gone numb.
"I’d love that, thanks."
Harry scratched at his forearm, ridding himself of the numbness. He felt fine, the same heavy dizziness as he had felt back when he was regularly donating blood at St. Mungo’s. He made the mistake of looking at the silver signature in the vial, feeling a delayed sense of queasiness at the knowledge that that belonged in his bloodstreams and not in Malfoy’s hand.
Harry once again scratched at his skin, this time to keep himself upright and, more importantly, conscious.
"I can’t believe you did that," Harry blurted after another moment of silence. His attention was still on the vial, but as he regained his peripheral sight, he was all at once hit by the fact that this had been done without any preparation at a home office. When Harry’s eyes turned to Malfoy, there was a moment of marvelled comprehension.
He extended his arm, flexing his fingers as blood flowed to them. A chuckle escaped him, surprising even to him. "****ing hell."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:44 am 

Draco knew that Coote would have heard his request for tea and was likely already scrambling to make it, leaving it unnecessary for Draco to say any more. Yet he was still left with the feeling that he should probably say something, unsure just how queasy Potter felt about the entire thing.
When Potter broke the silence, it was a relief to Draco, even if it also filled him with confusion. Sure, it wasn’t an easy spell to pull off, but Draco was absolutely certain that it was something that Potter would have seen several times before, so it probably wouldn’t be that big of a deal.
“It’s not that different from doing it to cursed objects,” he stated, once again using his wand to tie up his hair, liking it out of his face when he was planning to write things down.
The signature shimmered in the vial next to him, begging to be analysed.
“And I have done that a lot,” he added, even though he was certain that Potter would already know that. By then he was mostly just trying to fill the silence, finding it stifling after what had just happened.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:18 pm 

Harry seemed surprised at that comparison, hardly finding that argument applicable. Certainly, the spell was similar if not the same, but the casual devaluation of Harry’s worth as a person made him grin again, humoured that Malfoy had deemed him comparable to an object to avoid the compliment.
"Can’t bed-rid an object, though," he pointed out, well-meaning, as he brushed his fingers over the thin skin of his elbow joint. The healing magic still shimmered there, making Harry drop his hand as to not disturb it.
Wanting to anticipate another dismissing understatement of Malfoy’s capability, Harry reached out, patting a single, appreciative praise to Malfoy’s upper arm.
"Nice work," Harry said, genuine, hand already off Malfoy. He took a step backwards out of the intimacy of their stance, eyes drawing to his unrolled sleeve to readjust it. "Now justify it."
The addition, spoken coyly and juvenile, was accompanied by a crooked grin glanced up at Malfoy as he redid his button; a challenge more than a demand.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:05 pm 

Had it not been for the sudden appearance of a tray of tea on Draco’s desk, he was sure that he would have passed out. The pat on his arm was so wholly unanticipated, nothing in their prior interaction suggesting that kind of relationship, that Draco found his head spinning.
He knew that it probably didn’t mean a lot to Potter, having given out the caress so casually, yet Draco felt genuinely appreciated from it. It hadn’t felt like a huge deal to him, having been mostly worried about not hurting Potter, so to get genuine appreciation from it was a big deal to him.
“Thanks,” he eventually settled on, figuring that he could take the compliment, if only for now.
Not keen to linger on it though, he turned to the tea, finding that he was in desperate need of a cup now as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:54 pm 

__

They had each had a cup of tea to steady their nerves but otherwise, the study had once again grown quiet, not even broke up by the sound of porcelain shifting anymore. Malfoy had delved head first into quantifying Harry’s signature into something comprehensive and comparable; Harry, who had been struck by exhaustion once he took a seat, had watched him work for a while, having found it difficult to just resume his work as if magic hadn't just been pulled out of his bloodstream.
Harry’s attention had drifted in an out of the room; over the course of the two hours following the extraction, Harry had begun an extended resource request for a Cursebreaker to oversee the re-mapping of the house at Towthorpe. The thought of having Aurors back at Towthorpe without any clear sense of direction had Harry on edge, eyes continuously drifting back to Malfoy’s hunched over shoulders. A mapping could be carried out at a safe distance, but Harry had once again stalled, the request still unfinished in front of him, considering whether or not he could postpone it until Malfoy was able to give a conclusive diagnose on what had latched onto Harry.
His eyes had been aimlessly out the window when he recognized the familiar shape of an owl in flight. Even at a distance, Harry could tell she was carrying a parcel.
"Malfoy," Harry said, purposelessly but instinctively. He had already gotten out of his chair, once again opening the window in anticipation of the owl. "Looks like you got lucky."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:16 pm 

The silence that had fallen over the study as they drank their tea had been incredibly soothing to Draco, finding that it was easier to focus on working on the signature when they didn’t talk. Somehow, the ideal of talking to Potter while he worked on this would make it too intimate, would make him too aware that he was sitting with a piece of Potter and dissecting it.
When the silence was broken once more, after what couldn’t have been more than about two hours, Draco jumped in his seat. He turned to looked at what Potter was indicating at, taking just a moment too long to see the familiar shape of an owl, very clearly carrying a parcel.
A thrill and a sense of dread ran through Draco at the same time, both eager to get his hands on something to compare the signature he had just taken to, but also fearing that he was wrong and that this had all been for nothing. It was overwhelming to try and keep his feelings in check, but he tried to remain cool and calm in front of Potter, unwilling to show just how much was riding on this for him.
“That was fast,” he commented, figuring that that was something that they both easily could agree to.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:38 pm 

Harry barely had an opportunity to glance over at Malfoy before Tango landed at the windowsill, recapturing Harry’s attention.
"People are really helpful," he said, trading the owl half a biscuit for the parcel. Either Harry lacked complete self-awareness, or he was being exceptionally coy about what has no doubt an expedited processing time.
The parcel was wrapped in brown butcher’s paper, tied together with a string; both fell unwarded from the burgundy box within, the gold crest of the Ministry shining back at him.
Harry visibly hesitated to open it, his wand in hand; there was a moment where he feared the answer to their question would come without the need to having drawn blood. Was this also highly warded, as the files from the Wizengamot had been, Harry wasn’t sure this wouldn’t go ablaze within the first attempt.
After a moment of considering the alternatives, Harry tapped the box with his wand. Without resistance, the seam became visible, the two halved parting from one another; Harry's shoulders relaxed, unaware that he had been holding his breath, unexpectedly relieved.
He picked up the box, stepping out away from his desk and towards Malfoy’s.
"It helps if you send an owl they recognize at the owlery," Harry finally offered along with a crooked smile. He didn’t think Malfoy had taken offense in his decline of using one of the Manor owls for correspondence.
Without further grace, Harry reached to place the unsealed but unopened box onto a bare inch on Malfoy’s desk, no further grace in the invitation.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:13 pm 

It didn’t matter how many times Draco got to witness just how easily to seemed for Potter to get things done, it was always going to blow his mind. For Draco, getting anything done, especially something that involved bureaucracy, involved a long struggle to even be allowed to ask for the things that he wanted, much less getting the approved.
It was impossible to not feel a little twinge of jealousy at the difference, even if Draco knew exactly why his life was so much more difficult. He had made his own choices back in the day and now he was paying the price for those choices, no matter how harsh that seemed.
I bet it also helps if you are named Harry Potter, was right on the tip of Draco’s tongue, words that he ultimately decided against saying. He knew that there was no point and it would just be stupid to do anything to cause bad blood between the two of them.
“Thank you,” he said, gingerly reaching for the box and sliding it towards himself.
This was huge for him.
It was the biggest project he had ever worked on, and if he was right in this, he knew that this was going to mean huge things for the study of dark magic from then on.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:10 pm 

Though Malfoy hadn’t invited him to do so, Harry, after a moment of consideration, perched himself onto the armrest of the lounge chair he had abandoned in front of Malfoy’s desk. He had no intention of lingering, finding it unnecessary and disruptive to insist on overseeing Malfoy’s work. For now, Harry was solely interested in seeing his decade old signature unboxed.
He didn’t know what to expect. By the way Malfoy’s movements were paced, Harry could almost be led to believe that neither did he. Harry intentionally didn’t speak on it, keeping both his silence and distance.
He still hadn’t managed to piece together Malfoy’s hypothesis to something Harry himself was able to comprehend; neither was he particularly skilled in the comparison of live signatures, depending on the forensics department to carry out the detail work. Especially in the vial, it was an incomprehensible haze of silver threads to Harry. And still, part of him feared the worst; that, despite having just been handled by a wizard at registration, the signature would have rotted in the vial, or in any other way immediately confirming Malfoy’s worst suspicions to someone with a sufficiently trained eye. Harry wanted to be able to see that realization dawn on Malfoy, were that the case.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:05 pm 

Nimble fingers worked it unbox the vial, revealing another vial with a signature that, at first sight, looked incredibly alike to the one in Draco’s vial. However, he also knew that it was impossible to tell at a mere look like this, so he was going to have to get to work to get them compared.
Draco placed the two vials next to each other on the table, seeing if there was something that immediately caught his attention, but it was too difficult to tell.
He had already figured that if there indeed were differences in the signatures, they were going to be small and hardly noticeable. It was going to take a lot of work for him, but it wasn’t something that he wasn’t willing to do.
“I’ll get to it,” he stated, not blind to how Potter seemed to be watching him. It wasn’t necessarily uncomfortable, but he had never been used to working with an audience and he didn’t feel like now was the time to start.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:28 am 

Harry got up from the chair without issue, not deaf to what Malfoy was actually saying. There hadn’t been anything immediately recognizably wrong with the vial the Ministry had sent over, and Harry had no other hopes of getting any other information from it, than what Malfoy would eventually convey to him.
"Take your time," Harry said, not because he doubted the contrary. He didn’t know how else to acknowledge Malfoy’s need and right to his elbow room while working, and his intention to respect it.
Instead, Harry stepped to his desk, neither seating himself nor resuming his work. Tango had lingered at the window, quite possibly at the stack of unsent mail accumulating on Harry’s desk. No interest in pursuing those, Harry instead offered the owl the other half of the biscuit, brushing a wide palm down her spine as she pecked at the crumbs. With that, she took flight, dismissed by the caress.
Harry, agreeing to that being the best course of action, shut the window behind her.
"I’ll leave you to it, let me know if you need me," he said as he made for the door, a considerate little smile to his lips before leaving the study and shutting the door behind him.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1963 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 99  Next