All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1963 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84 ... 99  Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:01 pm 

Blog: View Blog (0)

The surprise loaded into Malfoy’s question took Paul aback. Over the passing weeks, he had seen Malfoy and Potter share almost too-intimate encouragements, but in that moment, it seemed to Paul like he was the first person that had offered this as a viable option for Malfoy.
It made him nod, a little surprised himself.
“People are paying note of your publishings, and the work you have done with your name attached to it holds up. I think you show great promise in the field,” he shared, and he almost smiled, before pausing once again with consideration.
“I cannot offer you a job, but I will strongly encourage you to apply when a position opens up,” Paul said, his tone tilting back to a note of professionalism as though there suddenly was an increased risk that anybody would overhear. A public office, the DMLE could not scout for talent, although Paul had often enough wished so.
This was one such case, for when he followed it up, his tone had once again grown loaded, but with something else entirely. “And one will.”

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:05 am 

This body is a vessel for my mayhem and as long as I can perform bafoonery it doesn’t matter if this stomach is flat or not

While Draco had no reason to disbelieve what Buchannan was telling him, he also had a very hard time allowing himself to believe that such a thing would be for him. He doubted a lot of people would be very happy about the decision to make him a permanent ministry hire, but he wanted so badly to believe that that could be something in his future.
“I shall keep that in mind,” he stated, a crooked grin on his lips undermining the the humility that he had tried hard to express. After all, he didn’t want Buchannan to think him too forward, even if he had just come as close to offering Draco a job as he probably could.
“Should the opportunity arise, that is.”

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:23 am 

Paul couldn’t help but mirror Malfoy’s smile, small and non-committal but encouraged. Malfoy had really met a tremendous amount of aversion in the past decade, but as he sat in front of him, Malfoy appeared little more than a kid, still, for the amount of growing up he had had to have done on his own.
“Good,” Paul said, nodding. He was weighing his words, considering how to best approach the conversation that inevitably followed Malfoy’s interest in applying for a position.
“You must allow me to be forward, son,” he eventually introduced, shifting forward to fold his hands on the tabletop. “If there’s even the slightest in you that would want to make a career of this, then I would strongly urge you to be mindful of what you’re getting yourself into with Potter.”
He looked at Malfoy, not unkindly but perhaps a little curtly. Paul really believed himself to have Malfoy’s best interest in mind, and sometimes, that required crude honesty, no matter how awkward the topic. While he could not say whether or not it had been obvious to others, Paul had found it almost impossible not to pay notice of the intimacy between the two men, but particularly, he saw it reflected in the way Malfoy behaved around Potter, and the way it crumbled his focus on his work.
“Potter is your hiring and superior officer, Malfoy,” he reminded him. “While he should not have put you in this position in the first place, do mark my words when I say there is no situation where he will be the one to face any repercussions. Any opportunity for a career is dead on arrival.”

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:59 pm 

This body is a vessel for my mayhem and as long as I can perform bafoonery it doesn’t matter if this stomach is flat or not

The sudden change of subject took Draco completely aback.
He probably shouldn’t be surprised that Buchannan had caught onto him and Harry, knowing that Buchannan was observant and had seen how the two of them acted while they were at the manor. However, it still very much felt like being caught doing something bad by his teacher.
His first instinct was to deny any involvement with Harry at all, not wanting to talk about what he was doing with Harry and least of all with Buchannan, but he could already tell that that was going to be a lost cause.
Buchannan knew that he and Harry were involved, even if he couldn’t know the exact shape of it yet, so there really was no point in trying to deny it.
“I shall by mindful of that,” he stated, his grimace probably not as neutral as he could have wished, not wanting Buchannan to think that he didn’t appreciate and respect his advice. However, he also knew that the things that he felt for Harry meant that it was going to be hard for him to pull away, wanting to be able to get whatever Harry was willing to offer him. On the other hand, it was also hard to throw away an entire career just in case Harry might decide to stick around for a bit longer.
“I promise,” he added, slightly more sincerely this time, wanting to give thought to what Buchannan was telling him, but also knowing that he was hopelessly devoted to Harry.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:37 pm 

Although Malfoy seemed sufficiently mortified, Paul wasn’t sure he had actually taken it to heart, dissatisfied with the answer Malfoy gave. To Paul, it sounded to him as if Malfoy would leave his office with the impression that Paul’s words had been nothing more than friendly advice.
However frustrating that felt - feeling like, even now, Malfoy’s mind was elsewhere - it wasn’t Paul’s mess to solve.
“I won’t tell; you are not my employee to reprimand,” Paul added, wanting Malfo to know at least that. He had no intentions of making a formal complaint on Potter for abuse of power; while it was perfectly justified, Paul had little trust in Robards handling it any other way than barring Draco from a position that would put Malfoy anywhere near Potter - and with him, the DMLE.
“But I am also only as serious about your career as you are,” he said. “Think about it.”

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:22 pm 

______
It had almost felt like a betrayal to Buchannan that Draco had to return to Malfoy Manor and, by extension, Harry. It wasn’t that Draco had much other choice, having nowhere else to go, but he also knew that that wasn’t the entire explanation.
He wanted to come back home to Harry, knowing that he was worried about him and wanted to be around him. He also knew that it was stupid for more than one reason, having just gained another one today, but he couldn’t stop it.
As he had landed in the kitchen, Draco had immediately made his way back up to his room, figuring that Harry probably hadn’t gotten much further for the day. He couldn’t exactly blame him for the fact, knowing that Harry had been very sick and needed the rest.
Even if he had been prepared to see Harry in bed still, there was something very different about actually seeing him lying there. It reminded him of why it was going to be difficult for him to let go of him, knowing that he liked seeing him like this far too much and that was going to outweigh most other things, at least for right now.
“How’s the patient?” He asked with a soft smile, unsure if Harry would have seen him enter.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:13 pm 

The feeling of discomfort had dissipated throughout the day, and while Harry no longer felt a sense of exhaustion, he still found himself drifting in and out of consciousness; perhaps solely because the opportunity to nap was there, finding that he so rarely had days dedicated to nothing else.
He hadn’t heard the door go up, having become dead to the soft give of the house; Coote had checked in on him periodically through the day, and it was only at the sound of Draco’s voice that Harry blinked awake.
It immediately brought a hazy smile to his lips, his heart doing a somersault at the mere sight of Draco’s smile. Turning further towards the door, Harry aimlessly extended an arm towards him in an invitation, wrist barely dangling off the mattress.
“Hi,” he greeted with a boyish grin, indifferent to the tease of Draco’s question.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:11 pm 

Even if it was far from the first time Harry had invited Draco back to bed like that, it still made his heart flip in his chest, his conversation with Buchannan dissipating immediately from his mind as he approached the bed, smile on his lips as he did.
“How are you feeling?” He asked again, genuinely curious as to how Harry had been doing. He had seemed mostly fine when Draco had left for his meeting, but he knew that things like this could suddenly return with a vengeance and it seemed that Harry had been napping most of the day anyway.
As he reached the bed, he sat on the edge right by Harry’s hip, leaning in to run a hand over his hair and press a soft kiss to his forehead, his head making the excuse that he was using the opportunity to check if Harry would seem hot to the touch.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:48 pm 

Harry knew that getting Draco to sit down was more than half the work, finding it so easy to wrap an arm around his shoulders, urging him to linger in the proximity.
“Better,” he said, but the way his gaze skimmed across Draco’s expression added a now to the statement, his voice more of a boyish tease than an honest reply.
Today had been the first time Harry had spent a day alone at Malfoy Manor, something that had threatened to surface a trauma that had been successfully kept in check for the past half a year. It had, however, proved difficult to attach the horrors of the grand mantle room to Draco’s childhood bedroom, peppered with decorations that were undoubtedly close to twenty years old and that spoke of a Draco Harry hadn’t ever gotten a chance to know.
It made it that more thrilling getting to be around Draco now, not seemingly able to exhaust his company.
Brushing his hand up the nape of Draco’s neck, his hair pulled back into a bun, Harry was already thinking of undoing it.
“How was it?”

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:00 pm 

The longer Draco was in Harry’s company, the more Buchannan’s words fled to the back of his mind, simply finding himself unable to deny himself this pleasure.
“It was good,” he said with a soft smile, having absolutely no intention of divulging the latter part of his conversation with Buchannan to Harry, seeing no point in ruining what time they had together with such worries. It wasn’t like they were anything serious after all and Draco feared that Harry would pull the plug if he knew that others were onto them.
“I have to go back tomorrow,” he explained, allowing himself to lean into Harry’s embrace, having already missed his touch, even if it felt stupid to admit, even if it was just to himself.
“Forensics have handed over some objects that Buchannan wants me to look at and we might get to return to Towthorpe tomorrow as well,” he explained, placing his hand on Harry’s waist as he did, just seeking the physical touch from him. “That doesn’t mean you’re not still off sick though.”

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:02 pm 

Harry was once again overcome with a love for Draco, taken by the way a day at the Ministry filtered through Draco’s consciousness as he retold it, realizing for just how long their days had been one and the same. It left a hazy little smile on Harry’s slips, easy and boyish as he listened with earnest interest, certain he would never tire of hearing Draco spill out tangent after the other.
It was only the last little addition that felt particularly and unnecessarily dismissive, enough to make Harry snort, a little surprised. It was probably for the better, the way it pulled him out of his stupor.
“Oh, yeah?” he challenged, a grin inevitably tugging at the corners of his mouth. Adjusting his grip around Draco’s shoulder, he urged him another bit closer. “You’ve decided that already?”

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:15 pm 

“I’ve decided that already yeah,” Draco stated without a moment of hesitation, knowing that Harry was going to have to rest at least for the rest of the week to get back on top. He still leant in closer to Harry, a smile easy on his lips as he did so, feeling happy in Harry’s arms and unable to believe that he could be willing to give this up.
“Healer’s orders,” he added with a wider grin, knowing that it wasn’t just coming from a baseless worry for Harry, but on a real and proper diagnosis.
He didn’t want to argue about it though, knowing that Harry could get stubborn if he was convinced that he had to get back on the case, so in the interest of stopping that in its tracks, Draco leant the rest of the way in and kissed him.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:37 pm 

Harry choked a sound into the kiss, and even he failed to recognize whether it was a protest or a sigh, the authority declaring himself Harry’s Healer carried enough to make Harry’s breath hitch.
Harry felt dizzy at the prospect of having to forego Draco’s company an entire day, and in a moment like this, it was difficult not to allow himself to believe Draco didn’t share the same feeling of longing; Draco had barely been gone for lunch today, and still he had fallen into Harry’s arms immediately and willingly. A full eight hours felt far too long.
Wrapping his arms tighter around Draco, Harry’s right hand stretched down the length of Draco’s spine, not just a kiss but an embrace. No matter how close Draco was, it never felt like it was close enough.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:21 am 

Even if this was hardly new for them, Draco kept getting stuck by just how easy it was to kiss Harry and fall into his embrace. Despite his day at the ministry having been a short one, he still felt an immense comfort from being able to sink into Harry’s arms, feeling all the pressure and stress wash away.
He smiled as he softly broke the kiss, only to position himself better, moving to straddle Harry’s thighs as the othe still lay against the pillows. While doing so, Draco allowed himself a moment to properly look at Harry, feeling his stomach flip at the sight before him.
Harry had all the softness of someone who had stayed in bed all day, hair ruffled and shirt crumbled, and Draco was a convinced that he had never looked more beautiful than he did right in that moment.
It was the simplest thing in the world to lean in and kiss him again, all the things he couldn’t bring himself to say lurking right underneath the surface of that kiss.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:21 pm 

Suddenly, Harry came to doubt whether Draco had been right; if Harry had in fact been more feverish than he realized.
As Draco moved onto him, the room felt wobbly, a trick of the mind. Dressed in his dress shirt and trousers, hair pulled back to the nape of his neck, Harry felt a sense of deja vu that was entirely unfounded. With the flash of green of a Slytherin banner still adorning the bedroom wall behind Draco, Quidditch posters still on the pinboard, Harry could for a moment believe they were kids again and could have been spared a war, and that Harry could have had a decade more of just this.
It was a false memory wedged into a real youth, superimposing a flicker of juvenile joy onto the hardest years of Harry’s life. When Draco kissed him, it was a sense of resolve Harry felt, a knot deep within him that had come undone. He clutched at the chest of Draco’s shirt with near desperation, the kiss catharticism and absolution.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:47 pm 

________
It had been a long day at Towthorpe and Draco was already beyond exhausted.
It was still difficult for Draco to properly feel like part of the team, even if both Buchannan and Connors did their best to include him in everything that was going on and kept asking him for his input. It was still a lot to take in and without Harry as his anchor it seemed even harder.
Thus, he was relieved when they were being told to pack up and he started gathering the notes that he had been making. He had gotten to study some of the objects retrieved from the basement and had made a lot of headway on several of the objects already.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:56 am 

Hannah had circled the topic, and with it, Malfoy himself, for the better part of the day. They had done their work in tandem, Hannah still considered a trainee on the case and Malfoy confident in his work but seemingly a lost cause when it came to protocol.
It had been nice, finding that it offered a sense of kinship she rarely got to experience anymore.
As they were packing up, Hannah picked at her kit, procrastinating packing up to a point where it would no longer justify her lingering about. Malfoy was at the workspace next over, and her eyes kept finding him.
“Good job,” Hannah eventually managed, feeling the compliment grow thick and awkward in her throat. There were two desks-widths between them, and still Hannah felt ungrounded, restlessly picking at her wand. “This whole week.”

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:50 pm 

Connor had been the most stable presence during the work today, knowing of the endless protocols to which Draco couldn’t even begin to guess, and having enough knowledge about his subject to prove a valuable sparring partner when Buchannan wasn’t around.
It still come as a surprise to him when she voiced her praise out loud, Draco having been able to see it in her body language and actions the entire day. The two of them were both slytherins to the core, something that Draco greatly appreciated after having worked with Harry for so long, which only served to confuse Draco even further about the praise being spoken out loud.
“Thank you,” he said, the words as foreign on his tongue as the praise clearly had been to Connor, something that would have made him laugh in other situations, but in this mostly just set him slightly on edge. Connor didn’t seem to have any ulterior motives, but Draco was still curious as to what had prompted the praising. He knew that it had to be an opener for something else, but he honestly didn’t have the first clue as to what it could possibly be.
“Couldn’t have done it without you,” he stated, the words sounding slightly hollow as they fell, even if they were true. However, they were clearly born from a need to return the compliment and not a sincere need to voice the thought. He knew that Connor already knew this and that her working with him had been highly appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:20 pm 

Hannah offered Malfoy a tight little smile, well-meaning but ultimately finding his returned compliment unjust. With Malfoy present, they had made more progress in two days than they had managed to do in the previous six months. Their entire conversation reeked of the Gryffindor influences that had become synonymous with the DMLE code of conduct in the passing decade, and it felt like an itchy sweater, especially when it was only the two of them.
For a moment, everything in Hannah screamed to retreat, not worth it when it came to speaking it out loud.
“I wanted to ask you,” she eventually managed, her voice still a little tight, though she tried to ease the awkwardness of the interaction by briefly glancing at her desk, shifting her weight from one foot to the other. “If you’d like to come out for a pint tomorrow after work.”
Almost instinctively, she crossed her arms across her chest as she looked back at Malfoy, but through the defensiveness of her posture, her gaze was more timid than anything else. “Welcome you to the team, and all.”

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:22 pm 

The invitation took Draco aback, having not realised that Connor even cared that much for him. To most, it was probably a nothing sorta invitation, but Draco knew that it was more than that.
He had enjoyed his time working together with Connor though, finding her to be pleasant to be around and finding that they had great potential to have a lot of things in common.
“Yeah?” He asked, not wanting to poke fun of Connor, but just wanting to confirm that he actually understood her right; not that there were many other ways to understand the specific offer. Yet, Draco still felt presumptuous in believing that anyone would want to spend more time with him than absolutely necessary.
“Yeah, I’d like that,” he stated, realising that he would really like that.
Having Harry move into the manor had made Draco realise just how lonely he had been for all these years and the prospect of getting to be around other people was quite exciting to him.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1963 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84 ... 99  Next