All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1963 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 99  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:17 pm 

This body is a vessel for my mayhem and as long as I can perform bafoonery it doesn’t matter if this stomach is flat or not

Blog: View Blog (0)

Draco had been carefully watching Harry as he handled his wand, wanting to make absolutely sure that he did nothing different from the times he had been handling his own.
Just as Draco had suspected, Harry was almost clinical in the way he used the wand, seemingly slightly reluctant to use Draco’s, however not that much different from when he had been handling his own.
That was also why the backfiring seemed like such a defeat to Draco.
There was no explanation as to why it should backfire in such a way, no indication given as to why Draco’s wand seemed to dislike Harry so much, and Draco found himself intrigued. He knew that something was wrong and he desperately needed to figure it what.
Hurrying over to be by Harry’s side, Draco took the wand away from him, surprised that he hadn’t simply tossed it across the room, when it clearly had caused him a lot of pain.
“Thank you,” Draco muttered softly, thanking Harry both for saving his wand, for indulging him and also for trusting him with this. It meant a lot to Draco that Harry could keep trusting him in this way and it always made him feel more at ease with what they were doing.
“I’m so sorry, but I had to be sure.”

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:55 pm 

Once again, the pain didn’t linger, remaining only an icy bite running through the length of Harry’s arm. As soon as Draco retrieved his wand, Harry had to step away, a restless energy as he shook his hand, the crackle of sparks audible, though maybe only in Harry’s mind.
“It’s alright,” he muttered, far tamer than his initial instincts had been.
His eyes dropped to his palm in between finger flexes; just as before, there was a pink line running the length of his hand where Draco’s wand moments ago had been cradled.
“It didn’t break skin,” he said as he returned to Draco, palm bared to share the mark before it faded. Itching to flex his hand, he settled on pressing the nail of his index into the pad of his thumb, the prickle of blood streaming back into his hand.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:12 am 

This body is a vessel for my mayhem and as long as I can perform bafoonery it doesn’t matter if this stomach is flat or not

Draco wanted to reach out for Harry again, feeling almost as if he would be able to soothe the pain just by holding his hand. He knew that he couldn’t though, and he just didn’t know what to read into the entire thing.
“I don’t know what this means, but it can’t be good,” Draco stated, knowing just how easy it had been for Harry to use his wand in the past. It had to mean something that he was suddenly incapable of using the wand without it backfiring so horribly, especially when it was just simple household spells.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:16 am 

Harry had bared his palm to downplay the injury, but it quickly became apparent that Draco had interpreted it differently. Reluctantly, Harry withdrew his hand, flexing it as he did to remove the fading flush across his palm.
“You’re not supposed to be able to wield other’s wands,” he dismissed, though his voice was barely a mutter, taking some of the certainty out of his voice.
Harry’s eyes had dipped, and by the third time he flexed his hand, the line of Draco’s wand had dissipated to the point of being indistinguishable to the unknowing eye. Still, he rubbed it against his thigh as his attention returned to Draco.
“It doesn’t necessarily mean anything,” he reiterated more confidently.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:09 pm 

Harry’s comment made Draco frown, not at all agreeing with the conclusion that he was drawing.
Draco knew that there was some truth to it, but it wasn’t as easy as dismissing the notion of using someone else’s wand like that.
“It’s not supposed to backfire like that either, especially not for a common household spell,” Draco stated, knowing that he was right in this. He had used strange wands several times for simple spells, and he had never seen anything like that happening before.
“I think it means something.”

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:38 pm 

As Draco continued, Harry was unwilling to meet his gaze. He absentmindedly rubbed his thumb across the now-invisible line of Draco’s wand running across his palm; he wasn’t sure he agreed.
“When’s the last time someone else used your wand?” Harry countered as his eyes finally found Draco, not truly irate but disinterested in entertaining this tangent.
There was a challenge in his gaze, a subtle kind of certainty knowing that Draco’s argument wasn’t rooted in any recent experiences. Maybe Draco’s wand had grown uncommonly attached to him, and the fact that it was a possibility was clear in Harry’s expression, his eyebrows quirking upward.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:43 pm 

The challenge that was so apparent in Harry’s voice made Draco stall for a second.
It was rare that they disagreed to this extent and while that wasn’t the thing that made Draco stall, it also didn’t help him to properly think. Rather than thinking of something clever though, Draco instead just met Harry’s gaze, eyebrow raised.
“Well, it seemed to work well enough for you last time you used it,” Draco stated calmly, figuring that both of them knew that Harry himself had been the one to last use Draco’s wand other than himself.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:44 pm 

While Harry’s expression didn’t waver, the pause he held betrayed him, proof that Draco’s answer was different from what Harry had expected him to say. Though, in all honesty, Harry wasn’t sure what he had expected.
“Use mine, then,” Harry eventually bristled, riled rather than frustrated.
Their interactions had been so civil, all founded and propelled by well thought out considerations and theories, that even the smallest defiance in Draco’s voice struck Harry tenfold. It suddenly felt like a matter of principle, feeling certain that Draco thought he knew better than Harry.
At some point, Harry’s eyes had dipped to place his wand, but when he once again met Draco’s eye, Harry also extended his wand for Draco to take, its handle facing him.
Harry’s eyes were bright and present, the challenge in them growing increasingly juvenile; he almost smiled. “Should be fine."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:44 pm 

The challenge so clearly apparent in Harry’s voice took Draco a little aback, having not heard that kind of tone from him for quite some time now. As opposed to when they were teens, there were clearly no hard feelings behind the statement, other than a need to not be wrong.
It was rare for them to butt heads like this, but Draco was just as stubborn as Harry, if not more, and was not one to back away from a challenge.
He took the wand from Harry.
“Alright,” he stated, placing his own wand on a table next to him. He felt absolutely certain that Harry’s wand was not going to have the same adverse reaction that Draco’s clearly had to Harry.
He took a moment to get a proper grip on the wand, finding that it was hard to get it to lie comfortably in his hand, but eventually he found a proper grip for it. It was always weird to use another person’s wand, but Draco wasn’t afraid of it.
Instead, he scanned the room for an item to call to him, figuring that it was the best to just go with a regular accio for the demonstration. He quickly settled on a medallion that was lying on a shelf, knowing it to be less cursed than many other things that he had around.
“Accio,” he spoke with a wave of the wand.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:33 pm 

Harry’s attention had been fixated on his wand in Draco’s hand, looking for any discomfort, or even an attempt to suppress any. It was, frankly, pure luck he even realized a metal pendant was hurling towards him.
Old Seeker’s instincts reacting quicker than his mind, Harry caught it mid-air, a twitch in his shoulders showing an early intent on ducking out of harm's way. Whatever frustration was painted across his features vanished, and for a brief moment, Harry had been caught off guard.
Draco’s Accio had been technically proficient, and while the odd loyalty displayed by the autonomous trajectory of the medallion certainly was a surprise, even Harry himself was aware of the fact that it wasn’t comparable to the discomfort he had felt using Draco’s wand.
It brought some frustration back to his features, unwilling to accept that turn of events.
He shifted the medallion in his hand, the chain jingling as he offered it to Draco. When he spoke, an almost choked laugh escaped him, utterly displeased but not upset. “Your aim’s shite.”

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:58 pm 

While the spell had clearly done it’s job, there was no denying the loyalty the wand had towards Harry. It hadn’t done any harm to Draco, but it was also clear that he would ever be able to utilise it properly, not the way that Harry could.
Natural though, Harry had to be a bad sport about Draco not getting hurt, causing Draco to roll his eyes and shake his head.
“Being upset that I was right is a bad look,” Draco simply stated with a shrug, placing Harry’s wand on the table next to his own. He already had Harry on a magic lockdown, and seeing his wand react like this made him feel even more sure of it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:22 pm 

That comment brought the laugh out of Harry that had already been forming in the back of his throat. Humourless but well-meaning, Harry laughed, a little genuine sound of exhaustion and defeat.
“Can you blame me?” he exhaled, a chuckle to his voice as he took a step to the side, moving closer to the table.
It was almost pure instinct, the way his fingers brushed the table edge. There was such an impulse to reach out for his wand to pocket it, even after months of being without it.
Knowing it was of no use, Harry instead pocketed his empty hand, if only to keep himself distracted.
“What now, then?” he asked, the frustration having deflated from his voice by the time his eyes found Draco.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:22 am 

There was no victory in being right to Draco, knowing that this likely felt like a huge setback to Harry, even if Draco didn’t really think that it was. He already had no idea what Harry’s condition meant, so anything further he learnt was an immense help in getting closer to the truth.
“I think I need to isolate you,” Draco stated, mostly just thinking out loud, trying to go through the process he normally would with his objects.
If he had an object that seemed to act strangely while in the study, he would normally isolate it and see if maybe the magic from the other objects had bled into it. This, of course, wasn’t as easy to translate unto a human being, but it was the only experience he really had, so he felt that it was the only way to go.
“I don’t think that it is the case, but I fear that my objects might have bled into you, seeing as my wand has a-“ he cut himself off, unsure how to explain that he had managed to wield the wand for dark magic, when it is strongly disposed to not to such a thing. In the end, he left the statement unfinished.
“I just want to be sure.”

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:16 am 

Harry barely heard what Draco said beyond urging Harry to go into isolation. At no point during his stay at the Manor had isolation been brought up as a viable option, and frankly, it surprised him that Draco would even suggest it. It was hard not to feel like they were back at square one, what little progress they had made over the course of the last two months seemingly insignificant.
“I thought the whole point of not going to St. Mungo’s was avoiding observation rooms,” he muttered, unamused.
Rationally, what Harry felt was frustration, but his irritation had already deflated, and above everything else he felt exhausted. It felt like they were going off on a useless tangent; after all, it didn’t matter whether or not Harry could even wield Draco’s wand.
Restlessly, Harry shifted his stance, already growing antsy at the prospect.
“For how long?”

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:49 pm 

The irritation was clear to see on Harry’s body language and it made Draco feel sick to his stomach, knowing that it had to feel like an enormous betrayal. After all, it had been part of the deal when he had agreed to keep Harry at the manor, but things had changed now and Draco was desperate to get it right.
He didn’t want to answer the question, but he also knew that leaving it hanging wouldn’t take the suggestion back. There was no way to take back what he had just suggested and he also didn’t wasn’t to do such thing.
“At least 24 hours,” Draco stated, trying to snap back into something slightly more cool and professional than what he had gotten used to being around Harry.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:36 pm 

Draco’s phrasing felt like a shallow attempt to soften the blow, doing nothing to soothe his growing feeling of frustration. After all, Draco might just as well have said indefinitely; maybe he should have, had he been more courteous.
Exhausted already, Harry pushed his fingers beneath the rim of his lenses, rubbing against his eye sockets in an attempt to scratch an itch that wasn’t there. He had come out of his childhood without any real sense of claustrophobia, but the prospect of being locked up still struck something within him.
“Right,” he exhaled, eventually letting his hands fall.
He looked at Draco, blinking the world back into focus. While he didn’t attempt to argue, he was anything but pleased by the turn of events.
“Starting immediately?” he asked. It had already been well into the afternoon when Harry had gotten up to join Draco by his desk, and with one thing and another, night had fallen around them.
A joyless chuckle escaped him, not knowing how else to respond if not with bittersweet humour. “Are you sending me to bed without supper?”

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:19 pm 

It wasn’t like Draco could blame Harry for the frustration he was showcasing and Draco so wanted to soften the blow in any way that he could, though he could tell that nothing would make the blow less hard. Draco had never thought that they would have to get to this point, but he felt more than a little out of his depth and he so wanted to get back on track.
“I’m sorry,” he said, his voice soft now, already now allowing the professionalism to wash away and instead leaving room for an intimacy that was still difficult to define. He hoped that Harry trusted him enough to know that this was the only option in Draco’s mind, but it was hard to tell by now.
“I’m so sorry, but yes, immediately.”

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:37 pm 

Rationally, Harry understood that it wasn’t as big of a deal as he was making it out to be. The longer the prospect sat with him, the easier it became to digest, though it was hardly anything he looked forward to. Mostly because he knew Draco would be more unwilling to bargain for any flexibility in the conditions than his Healers historically had been.
He nodded, not pleased but complacent.
“Alright,” he forfeited.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:51 pm 

____
It had taken Harry being actively isolated from him to make Draco fully realise just how much he had gotten used to having someone else around.
The study felt achingly empty without Harry to keep him company and Draco had been gripped by a loneliness that he hadn’t felt for years; not even prior to Harry arriving at the manor. It had briefly made Draco consider what he was going to do once Harry would be allowed to return to his real life, but he didn’t want to think about it too much.
Once the 24 hours were finally up, Draco found himself in front of the door to Harry’s room.
He didn’t want to seem to eager, knowing that there was a chance that Harry hadn’t actually missed him as much, but it was hard to hold back.
With only a quick knock to announce his arrival, Draco gingerly opened the door to Harry’s room.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:19 am 

Even going to bed early and sleeping in, Harry had found it difficult to pass the time. He had been struck with the same feeling of purposelessness as when he had first arrived at the Manor, the room well equipped but without a functional workspace. Coote had graciously allowed him access to his mail as it arrived throughout the day, but Harry had abandoned any hope of writing any correspondence, no available surface to write on besides the bedside tables.
He had eventually settled back in bed, shoulders propped up against the headboard starting the third book he was just as unlikely to finish as the two preceding it. Of course, the context had changed. It had crossed Harry’s mind that he might finally finish it out of sheer lack of viable entertainment.
Frankly, he was surprised when the nock to the door was followed by the turn of the door handle.
He assumed that had to mark the first 24 hours, though Harry had probably expected Draco to check up on him through a charmed view through the door, like they tended to do at St. Mungo's. It was enough of a surprise that Harry lowered his book to his lap, head tilting towards Draco as he awaited judgement, eyes bright with interest at the first real engagement he had received in a day.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1963 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 99  Next