All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:30 am 

Administrator

Medals: 13
Best Death (1) Best Group RP (1)
Completed RP (1) Dedicated Partner (1)
Blog: View Blog (0)

Years ago when she was still little, Nephilli would always come to the forest and rest by the waterfall, listening to the sounds of nature. Times were peaceful then and she always felt so carefree and liberated. The animals would always keep her company, so she never had to worry about the restrictions of the village, but now even the birds flew away whenever she neared. It tore her apart inside, but she would never let him know. When she agreed to form this pact, one that eventually saved her village, she was well aware of the consequences; in order to gain something, something of importance must be lost. She supposed she was becoming more and more immune to the fact that she could never again enjoy the company of the forest animals because each year it bothered her less and less. In her mind, it was but a small if it meant she could continue to keep this forest safe.

Long, brown locks flowed down to her shoulders, most of her hair being held back in a braid. She wore a flower tucked behind her ear that her mother had given her years ago. Nephilli was petite in size, standing only five foot and weight one hundred pounds. So she wasn’t physically strong either; he gave her strength, both physical and magical…She wore a long, brown dress that matched the quiet forest well, and though her father always scolded her because of it she didn’t wear any shoes, sandals, or anything protecting her feet. The animals feared her anymore anyway, so she was never worried about poisonous snakes or bugs, even plants. Every once in awhile she would step on something sharp, but that was but another thing she was use to, so she wasn’t worried.

She never had to worry anymore…

She stuck her feet into the river, watching as the fish naturally swam away from her. At least fish were something that was always shy, she told herself. It was reassuring that some creatures were naturally shy, even when she had her powers.

“Nephilli!” A voice called out to her, pulling her away from her thoughts. “Nephilli, where are you, I must speak to you at once.” She recognized the voice of her father from anywhere; though she was never that close to him, he did rule this entire forest. He was the Elf King, Thubarius, ruler of Ellantia, the Forest of Wisdom, located right in the center of the Kingdom of Belithan. It acted as the gateway to the Kingdom in the sense that it seemed to unify the different cities, and even acted as a barrier for the capital city, keeping it somewhat hidden. The King was a very strategic person, paranoid as well, and loved the tree barrier.

A lot of people respected Thubarius because he was a well known and powerful leader, and those who dared go to war with him have perished. Some of the dwellers in the South experienced this the hard way when they cut down more trees when they were allowed and then rebelled when he confronted them.

She took her feet out of the river and stood up. Straight and proper. “I’m over here, father,”

“Nephilli, I need you to head to Frostwilde in the North. The miners there have discovered something that might heal your mother’s sickness.”

“Frostwilde?” She questioned, giving him a puzzled look. Frostwilde, by foot, was about a two weeks walk from here. There was a path through the harsh Crystal Mountain range, named for its crystalline appearance, which seemingly cut off the Northern lands from the rest of the continent, but a lot of rogues and thieves were known to gather along there waiting to ambush travelers. It was a rough road indeed, and the area beyond even rougher. The stories about that place sometimes made even the roughest traveler wary. Then there was the frozen Lake Hiria, which acted as Frostwilde’s water main water supply as well as a good source of fresh fish in the winter. Nephilli was reluctant to go… and she made that as clear as day. “You know how I hate the cold!” She whined.

Her father said in a stern tone: “You’re going. End of discussion. I’d go myself but I must tend to the village, and my best warriors are out hunting a Boar that’s been harassing the villagers and hikers that come through here to visit the shrine.” He paused a second, then got back on subject. “Do it for your mother, if not for me.”

“Alright, I’ll go. You’re right… I want mother to get better.”

Thubarius patted his daughter on the head lightly, smiling, then turned away from her. He knew that would get her to go. “I’ll be waiting back in the village. Be sure to pack light and dress warmly. I’ll also give you some supplies to trade along the way.” He said over his shoulder, and then went back to the village.

Nephilli sighed and shook her head. Why didn’t he just have one of his top knights go on this journey? However, since this meant she might finally be able to rid her mother of her illness Nephilli was more than determined to go. Her mother’s health has been declining ever since that pact was made and she has always blamed herself, perhaps it was finally time she take responsibility. Yes, Nephilli had a feeling this would be a good opportunity to prove to herself that she was a responsible and grown up young lady who didn’t need her daddy anymore. After all he trusted her enough to travel such a far distance, did he not? She mustn’t let him down, herself down, the entire village down! Or her mother for that matter… It was needless to say that the more she thought of it, the more the adrenaline pumped through her veins, and the more excited she became. Soon her defiance faded completely and she looked back to the river.

She gazed at her reflection in the water, “I’ll make them proud!” she whispered. She could hardly contain herself and longer and jogged steadily back to the village. She stopped a few feet away, looking back towards the forest for a moment, smiling “At least I won’t have to walk. Two weeks will only be three hours. Flight is an amazing thing.”

She was excited for this trip, but also nervous. Nephili does not leave the forest often and has only travelled to Frostwilde once, when she met him for the first time. She knew how rough it could be there; the civilians were a tough crowd. She was never much of a fighter. The same year she made that pact was the same when the humans attacked the forest cutting down a great many trees and killing many of the elves and other creatures that lived there. Nephilli ran away and retreated to the north, by order of her mother, behind her father’s back, unaware that she had been followed by some of the angry humans. They began to beat up on her, shouting terrible things, and then… And then that snowy griffin came out of nowhere and helped her. He scared the humans away. She admired his strength when he did so, and couldn’t help but say yes to his pact offer afterwards, because she felt so stupid for being so weak.

Going back would indeed bring back some bad memories for her. Nevertheless, she was not about to let that hold her back; she wasn’t afraid. She was a big girl now. He, that snowy griffin, would protect her, he was a part of her now, the courage she never had.

“Uru,” she called out, mentally. He could hear her thoughts, feel her emotions. They were one; even their hearts were shared. “It looks like we’re headed to Frostwilde. My father said there might be a cure for my mother’s illness there.”

The griffin’s hypnotic voice echoed in her mind: “Yes I know. I shall wait for you here in the forest, as not to be seen by the others.”

“Silly, you know they don’t mind you hanging around.”

“I’m not in the mood for taking chances.”

“Oh fine,” Nephilli replied, “I’ll return in a moment, and then we’ll be on our way.” He was always like this –wary of people and such even if he knew them, she was use to it.

When she returned to the village, Nephilli made sure to dress in winter clothes, dramatically mind you, and said her farewells. Her father watched as she and Uru flew off into the distance, heading to the frozen North.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:29 pm 

Frostwilde had never been a warm place—not by a long shot—but the temperatures tonight, in particular, seemed determined to keep every living creature off the streets and firmly entrenched in their heaviest coats and deepest tankards of mead.

Tryn was one of those long-term residents who no longer attempted to argue with the weather. He had no problem at all staying indoors on nights like tonight, and after the afternoon's particularly brutal match, he wanted nothing more than to nurse his aching bones and burning ribs over a strong drink. And—luck in his favor—he'd already been at the Gypsy's Bones when the ice had come howling down from the Crystal Mountains. Like most of the storms that haunted Frostwilde on a near-daily basis, the gale had been quick to sweep the streets with the deadly frost and snow that had already piled several inches high against the door.

“Got another one of these?” Tryn waved his wooden mug at the portly woman behind the bar. She glared at him, but took his tankard and retreated into the cellar behind the counter.

He took the opportunity to let his forehead thunk down onto the counter in front of him, heaving a long sigh as he studied the grain of the wood close to his nose. How many times had he sat on this exact stool—the one that creaked and wobbled if you turned it too far to the left—or tasted this particular brew? Too many times to count. The predictable, commonplace normality of it all threatened to choke him at times. Ten years ago, he'd been so sure this was just a passing-through place. A moment to rest; a dark corner to lick his wounds was all he'd needed then. And now? He wasn't so sure he'd ever turn his boots onto that alluring southward road into the mountain canyons and out of the cursed, freezing North. Now, he came here to sit and stew and drink, because he had nothing else to look forward to.

“Don't drool on my counter.” The barkeep—Hilda, the old hag—scowled as she slapped his mug down in front of him again, sloshing a bit over the sides.

He waved her worries away tiredly with a bandaged hand, wrapping his fingers around the familiar mug. He grimaced a little as he sat up, pulling at the black and blue mess wrapped around his torso. Some Arcasian warriors had been through Frostwilde that day and he'd made the regrettable decision to accept his handler's challenge to them. Of course, only after Borag had set the match and accepted almost four hauls of gold had he informed Tryn that he would be losing the match that day.

Hating himself for it, Tryn hadn't had any choice but to agree.

It hadn't been pleasant, to put it mildly.

“How's the storm looking, Gord?” Left with a sour taste in his mouth at the memories, Tryn turned his attention to the willowy young man clearing a table across the room.

Looking a little startled to be suddenly addressed, the youth pulled down the wooden shutters just enough to look outside, and quickly refastened them. “Still snowing, sir.” The boy announced apologetically (no matter how many times Tryn tried to speak to the lad, he always seemed terrified of him). “But it's slowed a bit, I'd say.”

“Good enough for me.” Counting out a handful of coppers, Tryn pushed them towards Hilda and left his untouched drink on the bar.

“Best stay here, Tryn.” She grumbled as if obliged, but reluctant, to prevent the young fighter's imminent demise. “Don't want to get caught out in this tonight.”

“Aw, Hildy. You do care.” Tryn tried to smile at her as he tied a heavy wool scarf around his neck and face and pulled up his fur-lined hood, but his heart wasn't in it.

She returned a rude gesture, and this time he found it easy to grin.

Taking a bracing breath of warm, painless air, he bent his head and pulled the door to. The heavy wooden panel was nearly ripped off it's hinges by the force of the gale, but he managed to sidle through and get it shut again with minimal angry protest from Hilda. He couldn't help but think that he'd gladly face the trials of the weather over her stormy aura.

Drawing his hood down over his eyes, he set his shoulders against the wind and turned his feet towards home.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:10 pm 

Administrator

Flying was something that she had never gotten use to. Despite Nephilli’s trust in Uru, she couldn’t help but cling tight to the thick fur around his neck, keeping her eyes shut as she buried her face in said fur. The harpies and other forest dwelling mythical flying creatures use to tell her how wonderful flying was and how the world looked so different; you were free to go where you pleased and were free of restraints –and the wind was always so nice, how it blew your hair back. Even Uru told her never to be afraid, but she supposed it was easy for a winged creature to love flying. She disagreed with them, because for poor Nephilli, who could not fly, flying was like an encounter with death. She absolutely hated it with a burning passion, though it was more the thought of falling to her death that frightened her, but always managed to block it out by thinking of her tasks at hand; finding that medicine that would save her mother’s life being the task now.

And the entire time, she thought to herself: ‘Father had better be right about that medicine’, unaware that she was now digging her fingers into Uru’s mane

The snowy colored griffin was warm, and she snuggled closer to him once they neared the frozen Northern lands. He was different from most griffins; though he stuck true to a typical griffin he was more lion like than some lion with a bird’s head sewed onto its body. In fact the only thing bird-like about him were his wings and face which was that of a bird. He had a thick coat, being from this area, of pure white and large wings of the same color. Nephilli always thought he looked somewhat boring and wished he had another color mixed in with his coat. Also, naturally since he was from Frostwilde, the bitter cold breeze had little effect on Uru but ate through Nephilli like she had holes punched in her. She was shivering, almost vibrating, and despite being dressed warmly she felt as though her very skeleton had become frozen.

“How much longer until we get there?” She asked Uru.

“We’re passing over the lake now, so not much longer.”

“About time. I can’t stand this cold… Also… do you think this so-called miracle stone really is here?”
“I can’t say for sure,” The doubt was evident in Uru’s tone. Usually when he had doubts, he was right to doubt. “This is something I’ve never heard of before. Don’t let that deter you, however, because I don’t think your father would have sent you here if he didn’t believe it.”

“I hope you’re right… I just can’t help but wonder, you know.” He had tried to lift her spirits, succeeded, but she had doubts as well. Still she was determined to help her mother get better even if it meant she had to endure this horrible cold. Knowing her luck she was going to catch a cold, being out here like this could not be good for her.

When they finally arrived, Uru informed Nephilli he was landing so she didn’t have to latch onto him anymore. Frostwilde was a magnificent place; surrounded by ice with ice clinging to some of the buildings, it almost looked like a giant crystal palace turned into a city. Over all, it was a quiet city, much like the forest, and in that sense Nephilli liked it. For a brief moment she was able to forget about the cold, coming back to reality when she felt the slight jolt from the landing. Take offs she was alright with, but landings created butterflies in her stomach. Uru had landed a short way from the entrance to keep a low profile so he wouldn’t be seen landing. She dismounted and then dismissed him, then gazed at the city before her.

She took a deep breath, ready to face this place, but nervous as well. The first thing she had to do here was ask for directions to the mine, and then hopefully find someone who knew about this cure stone… whatever it was called. It shouldn’t be difficult, but she knew well how rough it was around here. Rumors may be rumors, but they had to hold some truth to them right?

Well she was about to find out.

“Halt!” A guard had stopped her, eyeing her warily as she approached the city gate. “With attire like that, I’d say you’re an outside. What would your business be here?”

“I… um I need to head to the mine. My father needs me to pick up some minerals and stuff.” Nephilli said in reply. Oh, she hoped they would let her through. Tensions in the kingdom have been rather high for the longest time, so it didn’t surprise her that there were guards watching over the city during the night. Her father always had his men watch over the forest, and the king the capital. Just in case, her father always told her.

“Oh? What minerals would that be, then?”

“Sonemite.”

Evidently her little lie was convincing enough. She didn’t want to come outright and say she was actually going to the mine because the miners might have discovered some cure for illnesses. The guard said to her: “Alright. Just don’t cause any trouble. And be sure to keep warm, this storm tonight is a nasty one.”

Nephilli shivered lightly and smiled, passing the guard and entering the unfamiliar city. Despite the buildings blocking out the wind, it seemed to be colder here out in the streets than on the outskirts of the city. That guard had been right about this nasty storm and didn’t need to tell her twice. It seemed like the buildings were instead keeping the cold in. She would have to look for some place warm as soon as possible.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:36 pm 

Tryn was about halfway home, bent nearly horizontal at times to stay upright against the howling wind, when he caught the first glimpse of movement out of the corner of his eye.

A lone figure, small, and scarcely bundled enough for the climate in which she found herself, was entering the city from the direction of the East gate. Where she was headed now was anyone’s guess, and honestly, the fighter didn’t care—he just found it odd that there was anyone (anyone else) dumb enough to be out and about in this weather.

The traveler would have slipped his mind altogether—he would have continued on to the cramped hut, drafty walls, and piles of fur blankets he called home—if some sixth sense or thrill of instinct hadn’t made him turn to cast one last look over his shoulder.

It was then that he saw it, and his blood froze in his veins as he caught a slow, measured dip of movement on the walls overhead, just down the long winding street where the stranger walked. Even straining his eyes, it took him a few moments to process what he was seeing. Just there, pressed aginst the crooked archway, a massive, snow-white Frost Manx slinked carefully over the brick archway, it’s dappled gray sides and coal-yellow eyes nearly invisible in the storm.

“You’ve got to be kidding me…” Tryn grumbled sourly, squinting through the sleet and wind. “Hey!’ He called out, trying to get the girl’s attention. “ Hey, outlander! Watch yourself!”

Needless to say, his loudest shout carried approximately two feet on the devastating wind and was promptly swept away into nothingness.

Anxiously, Tryn struggled to spot the creature again. Even though he knew where it was, it was still frighteningly hard to see. Huge, predatory beasts made of muscle and mass—they could grow to stand near as tall as a man—the fabled Snow Manxes of the North only came out to hunt in the worst of storms, being all but immune to the weather themselves and too cowardly to stalk the daylight. Of course, running into one was rare—most of the habitants of the deep North knew better than to brave the elements at their worst—but the great cats knew that there was always the chance of finding that one foolish, tasty traveler…

“Dammit!” Tryn cursed, mostly to himself, as he hastened his pace through the thickening sludge to catch up with the girl. He was counting on the beast to stay true to its nature and target the smaller, presumably weaker of the two, ignoring him, but he knew that he was still taking a huge chance by turning his back on it. Fumbling at his belt, he produced the only thing he owned that was even close to a weapon—a spark-stone torch, capable of producing a fierce flame at any temperature and in any weather, even underwater. It had saved his life from the elements more times than he could count, but he had no idea how effective it would be in this situation.

“Hey!” He shouted again as he closed the gap between them, dropping a hand on the girl’s shoulder and spinning her around. “What in the seven hells are you doing out here? You’re going to get yourself killed!” He wasn’t even sure if she had any idea what he was saying, but that suddenly wasn’t the only thing he had to worry about.

An ear-splitting shriek, animal in pitch but almost human in it’s haunting tone, came from much too close behind him, and he turned to see a massive pair of yellow eyes staring back at him.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:23 pm 

Administrator

The weather, since she was not use to it, tossed her around like she was a leaf in the wind and quite frankly made her a little embarrassed to say the least. She staggered a bit, trying to keep balance so she wouldn’t fall on her ass. Or her face for that matter. Perhaps she should have worn different boots, she mused lightly, pursing her lips and frowning as she trudged onward.

This city was almost too quiet save for the howling wind that burned her ears and continued to tear through her clothes. Oh how she hated the cold. When she got back to the forest, she was going to give her father a piece of her mind! Not that he ever listened to her, of course, but she never hesitates to at least attempt to remind him that she has a voice. If it wasn’t for her mother being sick she would have never come here –hell when she got back, after she cured her mother, she might have to cure herself from a cold. Her sudden sneeze proved her point; she was definitely going to get sick if she stayed here for too long. The winds blew again and she found herself fighting back again and began moving at a quicker pace.

‘Hey!’

Suddenly a voice caught her attention. She cursed her keen hearing (thanks to her pact with Uru) for a brief moment and looked over her shoulder to find someone moving towards her quickly. With this wind and snow it was difficult to make them out, but the other was definitely male. She started moving even quicker, but the wind blew again which caused her stride to falter, and it was then that she felt the hand land upon her shoulder and spin her around. She yelled out in surprise, looking the stranger in the eye. He was a little intimidating she would admit, but despite her inner thoughts saying otherwise, he didn’t seem like someone looking to mug her. The tone of his voice had told her that much –he seemed concerned for her.

Nephilli could be a little stubborn sometimes, “I can handle myself, thank you!” She said, raising her voice a bit in a confident manner.

Oh, but this confidence did not last long, because the moment that shriek sounded she hid behind the stranger faster than one could blink. “Wha… what the… what is that!?” Of course she did not know what it was, she wasn’t from around here. The forest housed powerful creatures, but she was use to those and most of them were fairly docile… unless you **** them off, like that boar that’s been harassing the forest for the last few days. It was only natural, since this was something new entirely it was, well, scary. “Don’t just stand there, you look tough, get rid of it!” She added, giving the stranger a light push.

Sometimes, she could be so hopeless. At the same time she felt stupid for not watching her back, keeping her guard up. So much for her wanting to prove to herself she has what it takes to keep her village protected.

It was needless to say she was definitely not a fighter even with a powerful beast by her side and sometimes relied too heavily on Uru to defend her without fighting herself. She almost hated herself for it, but she couldn’t help it! She just wasn’t a fighter. She did carry a fairly intimidating dagger with her wherever she went she has never been bold. It was actually a bit of a shame because she was quite skilled with that dagger; such talent was wasted in times of need.

In the distance, she could feel Uru’s presence –he must have sensed she was in danger. He was close, but out of right thankfully. “Stay put. The human might see you, even in this storm.” She told him mentally.

“Naturally.” However, while he would obey Nephilli’s wishes and keep out of sight, Uru’s real goal was to subtly scare the Frost Manx away. They usually went after weaker prey and were usually no match for a griffin. Despite some of them were brave, especially when they were desperate for a meal. Oh well, he supposed Nephilli couldn’t rely on him forever.

In a sudden change of plans, he would stand back and see how well she and her new friend handled the Frost Manx.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:25 pm 

A tiny, illogical part of Tryn had held out hope that maybe this stranger would turn out to be a mighty, evil-smiting paladin with the skills of a legendary warrior, able to snap her fingers and send the Frost Manx into oblivion in tiny pieces. Needless to say, these hopes winked out of existence the second she started using him as a meat shield.

Well, everyone had to be good at something, right? It just so happened that he was good at taking punches so someone else could sit on the sidelines and enjoy the anticipation. Well.... Punches, yes. Talons, claws, and fangs? Not so much.

Determined not to tap out now, the young fighter firmly widened his stance. Swallowing hard, he adjusted his grip on his torch, brandishing it front of him like a shield. His eyes were locked on the glowing golden orbs that hovered not ten meters away, the only sign of the beast that otherwise blended perfectly into the snow.

Hardly daring to move, he gave two sharp flicks of his wrist, and the torch blazed to life.

The Frost Manx screamed again, eyes flickering out of sight for a brief moment as the beast shied away from the light, but they quickly returned. It made sense that a torch would hardly be enough to scare off a creature like this completely, but again, Tryn could only hope. The eyes began to slowly circle the pair; Tryn followed. He kept one arm outstretched behind him in a futile attempt to—what? Protect this complete stranger? He wasn't even sure if he was going to be able to protect himself, and he practically made a career out of that.

Feeling less and less confident about escaping the streets alive, he tapped the traveler's arm and gestured toward the wall behind them. When she didn't move quickly enough, he began backing up towards it, making his point by pushing her along with him. He felt marginally safer when their backs were firmly pressed against the stone of the warehouse behind them, knowing he'd just reduced the area from which they could be attacked, but also limited their possibilities of escape.

Without warning, the eyes—his only indicator of where the creature was—winked out.

Heart in his throat, Tryn scanned ceaselessly from right to left, straining his eyes into the quickening snow and trying unsuccessfully to gauge where the creature had gone.

When it finally made it's presence known, it was in the form of appearing mere feet away and swiping at the humans with stunning force. The massive paw sent Tryn flying into the snow like a rag doll, claws tearing through layers of fur and coat like they were made of paper. The fighter landed hard, breath rushing out of his lungs painfully, but by some miracle the cat's claws had missed skin. He was mercifully intact—for now.

Rolling over with some difficulty, Tryn managed to haul himself up on his elbows and painstakingly regain his feet. The elven girl was still alive, miraculously, pressed back against the wall, but his relief didn't last long. A massive gray shape came between them, and suddenly it wasn't Tryn who was the target.

Letting out an angry roar, the purpose of which was more to convince himself that he was brave enough to do this and not necessarily to frighten the beast, he charged. Rushing up behind the Manx, intent on it's potential lunch, he plunged his burning torch into the side of it's neck.

Roaring in rage, the cat reared up, brushing Tryn aside and sending the torch bouncing away into the snow. The damage was done however, and by the time Tryn hauled himself to his feet for the second time, he could see the beast crouching and yowling, trying to rub it's neck into the snow to quench the pain of smoldering skin and fur.

Snatching his torch up, Tryn waved wildly at the girl and gestured her towards a place on the wall several yards away from them: a doorway he'd noticed sometime between flying through the air and regaining his breath. She crept along the wall towards it, thankfully understanding his inane hand motions and inaudible noise, and he limped with her, still brandishing the torch towards a great cat that was no longer so sure if they were really worth the effort.

They reached the door alive—only to find it locked. Pressing the torch into the girl's hand and pointing firmly at the cat stalking them, Tryn pulled back and aimed a heavy kick at the door, just under the handle. Three kicks later, he was able to knock in one of the middle planks. From there it was a matter of reaching through and lifting the latch on the inside.

“Inside!” He yelled unnecessarily; the girl seemed all to happy to oblige and was already halfway through. He followed her quickly, casting one last look over his shoulder. It could have been a trick of the storm, but he thought he saw a white shape drop from above, effectively hiding the cat from his sight. He didn't pause to investigate, and slammed the door shut behind them as quickly as possible.

After a few adrenaline-fueled moments of manically collecting everything heavy he could find to barricade the door, Tryn was able to take time to rest. Bending down to prop his hands on his knees he heaved a long, heavy breath. It was warmer in the warehouse, but not by much, and his exhausted sigh left a long puff of frosted air trailing out from his lips.

“I'd be okay.... if that never happened again.” He huffed breathlessly, absently ripping his scarf free from his face to ease the task of breathing. Coming down from the adrenaline of moments before, he found himself feeling dizzy and shaky, heart pounding loudly in his chest. He could scarcely believe they'd both made it out of the situation alive.

“No-one at the Gypsy is going to believe this....” He muttered mostly to himself, staggering towards a nearby crate to sit. Feeling a draft, he looked down to examine the shredded remains of his coat. The many layers of fur had been just thick enough to deflect the first blow—three faint red scratches, like fingernail marks, traced his already-tender ribs, the only testament of how close a call it had been. He could scarcely believe he wasn't looking at his own insides right now.

Remembering that he was not alone, he turned green eyes to the smaller figure, mentally slapping himself for not thinking first of her well-being. She still held the torch, the only light in the massive room, and looked as shaken as he felt.

“Are you alright?” He asked, frowning in concern. “Not hurt, are you?”

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:48 am 

Administrator

When the stranger motioned for her to retreat she made no hesitation to do so, but noticing the male was struggling with the cat, she brought out her dagger. Unfortunately, this had caught the cat’s attention and it soon stood before her, fangs bared, ready to strike. Nephilli pressed her back against the wall as she tried to find the courage within her to strike back. She swallowed hard as the cat moved in to strike, raising her dagger in response, baffled when the cat took a step backwards and retreated a bit. Sudden guilt hit her when she realized the stranger really as doing all the work in fending the beast off; she would have to apologize later, she told herself. Now was not the time for such thing, she had to focus.

In the back of her mind, she heard Uru’s low growl, informing her he was aware of the danger she and the stranger were in. She relaxed herself to the best of her ability and told him to intervene when the time was right.

She admitted at first she was worried that the stranger would not get the door to the warehouse open, darted in when he finally did. It was then that she told Uru to take care of the cat outside, and he came out of hiding to make his presence known to it just before it followed the two of them into their temporary sanctuary. Since she felt bad for not being brave enough to help the stranger fight the beast, Nephilli helped him barricade the door. Most of the stuff used was too heavy for her to lift, but she managed to push a few things into the pile. Though cowardice is one of her huge downfalls, she was actually a lot stronger than she looked. She could be brave when she needed to be but only after she has mustered the courage. This was an unfamiliar place, which contributed her lack of braver as she was out of her comfort zone.

“I’m ok,” she said, looking up at him, using that confident tone again. “I don’t think it’s going to bother us again. You, on the other hand, took the brunt of it. I’m sorry about that,” she rubbed the back of her head, looking at the stranger’s wound. Those slashes were deep and he would need some medical attention if the bleeding didn’t stop. She herself knew some healing magic, being an elf, but she wasn’t skilled enough or powerful enough to completely close the wound and make it appear like nothing ever happened. Still she knew it would not hurt to at least do something since she had been dead weight. She was useful for something… she would prove she wasn’t dead weight!

Yes, this would be the perfect time to redeem herself.

“You’re hurt, hold still!” When she spoke again it was more like a command than merely asking him to hold still. Blame that on her being the daughter of the ruler of the forest. She put her hands over his wound and closed her eyes to concentrate. Channeling magic was not a difficult thing, but it did take years to master in order to gain full control; she had only begun learning it a few years ago so it was natural that she was not very good at it. Nevertheless, she would give it her best shot to heal his wounds to the best of her ability.

Suddenly, her hands shone; it was a dull, colorless light. And then the wounds were patched up in no time, though they would still require some medical attention. Nephilli was proud of her work, even if it was only enough to stop the bleeding and possibly heal some of the damaged tissue. Had it been light wounds the stranger was suffering they would be gone… No. She wouldn’t allow any more guilt to settle in, and she fought it away when she spoke again: “This will stop the bleeding, but be careful that it doesn’t open up again. Though you know, I’ve got to hand it to you. You were pretty awesome out there!”

She was just trying to lighten the mood a bit. “I can fight but I don’t like to… The forest isn’t as dangerous as this place so I guess I never really need to defend myself.” She decided to leave it at that, lest she talk his ear off.

A light sigh escaped her and she sat against a crate that was barricading the door. She shivered lightly and wrapped her arms around herself. Oh how she wished she could snuggle up against Uru’s warm fur right now, the cold was definitely not for her. How could anyone even live in these parts? Cold and dangerous. Not fun. At all. She missed the forest already.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:47 pm 

“Wow...” Tryn breathed, reaching one hand down to prod at newly-healed flesh, still tender as it was. The girl's ministrations had even soothed his bruises and scrapes from earlier in the day. “I've seen a lot of people come through here and do a lot of strange things—even magic—but I've never seen man or elf stitch flesh back together with a bit of light.”

Letting her ramble as he tried to process both her words, and the events f the last several minutes, he was forced to shake his head in an attempt to clear his thoughts. “It's no trouble,” he ended up responding rather dumbly, mostly because he had no idea at all what to say and was suddenly faced with the very distinct possibility that he was trapped in a warehouse with some powerful elven mage or perhaps even a spirit... how was he to know? The extent of his contact with elves had been minimal-contact brushes in an inn or marketplace and exactly two street matches at Borag's behest; both had ended with Tryn laying unconscious in a healer's hut for weeks.

Seeing the elven girl shiver, he ducked his head apologetically. “I'd offer you my coat... but you know.” He'd already discarded the shredded garment, and spared it a regretful glance. He'd really been fond of that coat.

Instead of lingering on what he could not do, he did what he could. Making his way to a stack of empty crates, he pulled one down and using a combination of boots and brawn, began crudely snapping it into smaller pieces. In the space of a few minutes he'd combined wood and torch and set a hearty if small fire blazing on the cold dirt floor. He pulled up a crate to avoid sitting on said floor and getting colder than he had to, and she did the same.

The warmth was minimal, but still a welcome balm to their numb fingers as they eagerly held them over the flames. Tryn stoked the fire with a metal bar he'd found relentlessly, determined to encourage the tiny flames into a roaring blaze.

Glancing surreptitiously up at his unusual companion every few moments, he chose to set aside his likely-illogical apprehension and make conversation. It didn't seem as if either of them were going anywhere soon anyway—at least for as long as the storm held up.

“So.... what's your name?” He tried his best not to be rude as he studied her curiously. “Where are you from? Pardon my saying so, but it's obvious you've not been long in these parts.”

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:39 am 

Administrator

A soft smile formed on her lips when the stranger lit that fire. If she couldn’t snuggle up to Uru at least she could be somewhat warm now, she thought to herself, widening her smile. Immediately moving up to it and sticking her hands out she welcomed the bit of warmth it created, the little warmth it gave, and let out a quiet sigh of content. The contraption the male had used to create the fire had her curious; she wondered if it was some sort of catalyst or something. A lot or archers she knew often used such things to set their arrows on fire so it made sense if he was using the same thing. Or at least something similar. Either way, a device with the capability to create fire at someone’s will was a very interesting thing indeed and it did have her intrigued to say the least.

Nephilli wrapped her coat, which was thick and warm but still was not enough to completely hold back the cold despite lack of outside wind, around her. Outside, the howling wind told her that the storm was not going to let up anytime soon. Might as well make the best of it, and what better way to do so then to converse a little. It was better than sitting in silence; silence made her uneasy.

She turned her attention to the male when he spoke again, and then nodded. “Ah, well I guess it would be rude not to give an introduction, huh?” She cleared her throat. Giving a formal introduction was something her father always taught her to do. She was technically a princess after all, so she should introduce herself accordingly. “My name is Nephilli, daughter of Thubarius, the Elf King, from the Forest of Wisdom lying at the heart of the Kingdom.” Although, but the tone of her voice it was easy to tell that she kind of did it for fun. “I’m here running some errands for my father.”

She left it at that as she was not comfortable to reveal that he mother was sick and she was looking for some medicine that probably did not exist. The male might look at her like she was mad. Doubts still clouded her mind, but in order to keep herself from ranting on about them she focused her thoughts elsewhere.

I didn’t come here alone either, she thought to herself. That was something that would be kept to herself for now. She knew that Uru was lurking nearby out of sight, probably ensuring that no more of those cats decided to show up. Her guardian watching over them… griffins were said to be great protectors of many things –treasures were not the only things- as well as loyal servants. In the past a special breed of griffins was bread for guarding castles and old ruins, especially during times of war, specifically for human use. In one word, domesticated in a sense but they still had their natural wild instincts. War was quite frequent hundreds of years ago, throughout the world. Uru is actually a remnant of said breed; a breed that has manticore, which have long been extinct or few remain, in its bloodline, which was another reason for his more lion-like appearance.

Though she does not seem like the type, Nephilli does have an interest in history and such, and stumbled across the knowledge in ancient texts. Uru had revealed his bloodline to her when she was asking him various questions.

Unfortunately her own history was rather dull, at least in her opinion.

“By the way,” she said suddenly, shifting her position on the crate a bit and moving closer to the fire, “I had almost forgotten to ask, forgive me! What might you name be?” Introductions would not be introductions without exchanging names, right? What would be the point of an introduction otherwise? She could be shy herself sometimes, and sometimes people just drover he up a wall, but everyone has to enjoy conversation every now and then, right? Hell, even someone like her father, who could be very reluctant to start a conversation especially if he was concentrating, would hear what she had to say sometimes. Key word sometimes –nevertheless it was a conversation. In Nephilli’s mind even a few words exchanged or her doing most of the talking was conversation.

“I guess it goes without saying that you’re someone who lives in this city?”

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:23 pm 

“You’re… the daughter of an elven king?” Tryn repeated weakly. The illogical assumptions he had only just managed to stifle were reignited with a vengeance, and his mind spun with possibilities.

“Er, I’m Tryn.” He managed to stammer out, before realizing that he should probably give the only proper name he had. “Trynidad Arkwing, properly, but no-one really calls me that.” He was painfully aware that he had no title to add on, no proud lineage or stately home to claim. He grasped awkwardly at the iron bar he still held, feeling the sudden need to keep his hands occupied.

“I’ve lived here….for a while.” He admitted, suddenly feeling like maybe he didn’t want to be sharing his entire life story with a stranger, and a stranger whose life was obviously a far more exciting and adventurous than his own at that. He wondered if his common lineage, his street-thug occupation were as obvious to her as he supposed. Most of the travelers he came into contact with on a daily basis made their disdain for his lifestyle clear. Normally, that didn’t bother him, but he was actually enjoying their conversation, as unusual as the circumstances were, and he didn’t really want to alienate his new friend just yet. He might be able to learn something from her, and he’d never met an elf from the forest of Wisdom.

Trying not to sound as curious as he felt, Tryn asked, “what manner of errands are you running? They must be pretty important if the king would send his own daughter into the heart of the North.”

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:28 am 

Administrator

When she first arrived in Frostwilde, Nephilli wasn’t sure what to expect; seeing as the rumors about it being rough were true, she was expecting the people to be the same way. Tyrn was an awkward one, she admitted, but he was at least nice to her. Given the situation they were in, perhaps it was understandable to just calm down and have a laugh, but was it naïve to think he was a good person? He hasn’t done anything to harm her and he seemed friendly enough. Sometimes subtle things flew right over the young elven girl’s head but if there was one thing she did know it was that she was glad she found some company in a place like this. Awkward company, after all, was better than no company whatsoever.

Though, she couldn’t help but wonder if she seemed a bit awkward herself. He had almost sounded a little shocked when he repeated that she was Elf King Thubarius’s daughter, and when he asked what errands she was running for him she could tell there was curiosity in his tone. Even if it was just hinted, she picked up on it; she was sensitive to such things.

Well there was no avoiding that now, may as well be truthful she told herself, sticking her hands out to the fire again. Tyrn was taking good care of it –there was a small hint of envy in her; ironically she doesn’t know how to create a fire catalyst or no. She admitted that sitting next to a warn fire instead of snuggling against warn fur was nice. It wasn’t something she was use to. Every time there was a fire in the forest it was usually a bad thing and needed to be put out, for fear that the forest might be burnt down due to someone’s carelessness. Sadly this has happened before in the past, and Thubarius has become very strict about such things. For the most part he was respected, but there was still that rowdy group of humans who continuously gave him trouble.

“Oh, my father just needs a few things from the mine,” she replied, watching him poke at the fire. Her voice lacked her previous animation or confidence from earlier. She was cold and the look on her face was enough to say that she did not like it. It was also was mostly to fit the mood. “And my mother has fallen ill so I’m here to pick up a rare medicine that’s said to be made from some minerals that are only available here.”

So much for trying not to sound like some crazy, she thought to herself.

Then again if she was worried about what he was going to think then she may as well not be here. She should have some faith in herself and her father’s words, and more importantly have a sense of adventure. Just because she was the daughter of the Elf King doesn’t mean her life was amazing. She had a lot of responsibilities and even though she was here now, it was not often that she got to leave the forest and explore at all. As much as she wanted to explore, as we have seen, she is also afraid, then again who does want to leave the comforts of what they have known most of their life? She hasn’t known much outside the forest so it was still scary to her.

“I was sent alone because everybody else has been busy with other things, or so I’ve been told,” she continued, “And there has been a boar causing problems lately that my father’s been wary of.” That boar had her concerned as well, but she was here, not there and thus spoke of it somewhat nonchalantly.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:40 am 

“From the mine?” Tryn was startled. “You don't mean to say... you're going to venture in there? On your own? Surely that's foolish, even for an elf. Haven't you tried finding the supplies you're looking for here in town? There are many esoteric merchants here in town, at the Gypsy or in the marketplace when the weather's fair. If it's medicine you're wanting, there's even an apothecary in the square.”

Realizing he was rambling just a bit, Tryn paused to gather his thoughts.

“Forgive me, but as a long-term resident of this hell... I'd recommend quite strongly against going to the mines on your own. If they'd even let you in, the men who work in the upper levels are just as likely to harass you as anything that lives beneath. It's not a safe place, not even for the workers. Strange things hide in the deep.”

Even as he spoke, Tryn was forced to wonder why he even cared. He'd seen countless men and women—treasure hunters, some, but mostly miners and deep-delvers—vanish into the mines high in the mountain passages, never to be heard from again. Those that had returned had found nothing worth their time, or they returned changed: old, hollow, speaking of monsters and shadows and lights in the deep roads. He'd never really given much thought to this coming and going of souls, never given much care for those lost to mishap or madness in the depths.

Still, he couldn't help but protest the strange quest this elven girl proposed. It seemed such a waste that someone like her be lost to the grime and stench of the underdeep. She was elvenkind, and had no place in those depths. In fact, she was the first he'd ever heard speak of venturing there. Many elves came through Frostwilde, keeping mostly to themselves, but they kept wisely far from the mines. He'd always thought they were more intuitive, able to see through stone and vein to the true horrors beneath the earth, and so were not foolish enough to wander in. Perhaps he'd been wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:23 am 

Administrator

“A dangerous place, huh?” Nephilli spoke meekly, looking back into the fire intently. Her brow furrowed a bit as she sat in thought, wondering why the male was strongly advising her to not go alone into the mines. Well, technically she was not going to be completely alone –she did have Uru to protect her… He was always there for her. And if this place was like the Dragon Rune Shrine (the only real dangerous place she knew aside from the swamps) it would be a piece of cake. The only things dangerous about that place were some old traps and a dragon that has had all its power sealed away by an ancient High Priest. It was also easy to get lost in there though; thankfully previous travelers who dared venture in had left markings making it easy to navigate. However, while that dragon, old as he may be, had no magic he did still have fangs and claws and did put up a fight when he discovered her snooping about his lair. That was probably one of the only times she actually fought back, but only because Uru had given he the courage. On her own she was weak, and she knew it…

She never ventured that deep into that shrine again. In fact someone in the village had sealed the path way to the dragon off from the rest of the shrine. She had asked her father to send some of his men in there to do so, her request. He sheltered her too much –and this triggered some of her resentment towards him. But then again she was his only daughter, and she would eventually have to rule this forest. Though in her mind, he was never a good father to her anyway, however this does not mean she wanted to let him down.

A strange determination surged through her and she clenched her fists subtly. She let out a breath and then looked the male in the eye. “My mother is sick,” she said, “We have tried other medicines but nothing has worked. I’m going into the mines… there just has to be something there!”

It was incredibly stupid on her part but she was notorious for failing to heed warnings. It also showed how young she truly was. She wanted so badly for her mother to be healed. She wanted things to be like how they were before, when her mother was well, not bound to be indoors. Her mother was such a kind and loving person; she was very charismatic as well and everyone seemed to enjoy her company. Nephilli definitely looked up to her. She was also very strong, brave, one of the best warriors in the village despite her seemingly docile appearance. Thubarius, though he would never admit it in front of his wife or Nephilli, was also deeply saddened by this strange sickness. Every day he blamed himself and he always sent people to look for medicines. Nothing worked. The mines were the last hope…

Unfortunately Uru, who had been ever so silent while the two of them were in the old warehouse, was agreeing with the young man: “Nephilli, he speaks the truth. There are a great many unfriendly things lurking about those mines. It’s best that you stay away.” His voice rang in her mind like some horrible sound. He was only looking out of her, but she was being stubborn and did not want to listen. She snarled, placing a hand on her forehead. For some reason the fire seemed to be more agitating than comforting. Uru’s voice fell on deaf ears, but he was determined not to let her go, if the mine was truly that dangerous.

Nephilli did not want to let her father down, and she wanted to be brave, she wanted to, for once in her life, stand up against danger and prove she was not weak. “I don’t care how dangerous is it in there. I just… I just want to save my mother.” She almost sprang off the crate she was sitting on, but she truly was determined, speaking to both Tyrn and Uru, but it was mostly to convince herself she had the courage. She was dedicated to family, saving the ones she loved, and a part of her still felt guilty for her mother’s illness. Put those things combined and she just had to go… she had to. Well for now she would have to remain here because of the storm but she planned on getting to the mine and going home right away.

Little did she know, the dangers of the mine would soon be the least of her worries.

“Sorry… I didn’t mean to lash out like that,” she apologized quietly. “It’s just I really am determined…”