All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:03 am 

Medals: 6
Dedicated Partner (1) Most Patient (1)
1st Year (1) 2nd Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (0)

It was an early summer morning and already beginning to feel warm, the hum of cicadas filling the silence of the mostly empty street. Aika stood outside of a large building, her blue eyes scanning the building in the soft morning light and taking in the moment. Inside, the hero agency she would be working for. She had graduated from UA this year and just a couple of weeks ago she had passed her hero licensing exam. Now she was starting her first job as a side-kick. She was excited, to say the least. Who wouldn't be excited to see something they had worked for for so long come to fruition? To see one of their dreams finally start to come true? To top it off, she had gotten a job at the agency of one of her favorite heroes. It was a newer agency, as the hero, only about two years her senior, had only branched out on her own about a year ago, but they were already becoming popular.

She took a deep breath as she walked into the building. She was quickly greeted by a woman who asked for her identification before taking her upstairs where she would meet the young heroine, Shadow Angel, who would be her boss from now on. She slid the headphones down tentatively, listening to ensure it wasn't too loud before allowing them to rest around her neck and freeing her long blue hair as she climbed the stairs behind the other young woman. As they reached the top, she heard the faint sound of the door opening but she didn't bother to look back, instead facing the door in front of her as the assistant excused herself and headed downstairs after announcing her presence to the hero who sat behind the desk in the office.

The other woman stood from her desk and greeted Aika with a gesture to come in. She was not exactly tall by many standards, but she was tall to Aika, as she stood at least two inches taller than the younger woman, with long pink hair and deep blue eyes. "Good morning, Siren," the hero greeted her, "Welcome to Angel Agency," she welcomed her with a smile before returning to her seat and gesturing for her to do the same. "We have one more sidekick joining us today. He should be here any moment now. We can go through introductions and through the details of your assignments once he joins us," she explained.

Aika gave her a nod of understanding, "Of course," she replied, taking her seat. She could hear two sets of footsteps climbing the stairs, one belonged to the woman from before, the other was heavier and seemed to belong to a man, so she guessed that they wouldn't have to wait much longer.

Last edited by Amara on Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:50 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
View Likes PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:18 pm 

After so many years of nothing but learning, it began today. His first day as a sidekick. As soon as he'd set foot through that door, he'd be on his way to becoming a full-fledged hero; this was only the beginning. The thought was nerve-wracking, exhilarating, exciting. Through his own blood, sweat, and tears, he'd worked his entire life to get this far, and he showed no signs of slowing down. This agency, though fairly new and still untested through the fires of time, was one that he'd concluded would best serve his current goals. Shadow Angel, the slightly-older hero-in-command, had a quirk almost similar to his own; so there had to be something for him to learn there, right? At the very least, he'd gain real-life experience--a commodity seen as priceless through the eyes of any future pro-hero.

Confident, casual strides carried the young male across the street. It was a warm, cicada-filled morning--one that made him grateful he'd stopped to grab a drink on the way. A flick of his wrist told him the time, and he picked up the pace. He was almost there, but he'd just barely make it on time. With a soda in one hand and the other raking back his caramel hair, Nico turned the corner. As the agency building came into view, he caught a momentary glimpse of blue hair as it disappeared through the entrance, and he hurried to follow suit. Continuing forward, he pushed past the door. There was no greeting as he entered the building, but instead, he was welcomed by the sound of hurried pit-pats down the stairs. Coming into view was a smiley attendant, who after exchanging polite "hello's," requested to see his identification. At her request, he flashed the card and was promptly guided up the stairs.

Reaching the top, Nico took the liberty of opening the door and allowing himself in. Before even scanning the room, he flashed an upbeat, charismatic grin, "Hey," came his simple and casual greeting, stepping forward as he pulled the door closed behind him. His focus first went to the one behind the desk, the pink-haired woman whom he assumed to be the boss--and then switched to the one sitting across, a younger, blue-haired girl. He squinted at the younger girl, pausing; she seemed familiar, but it took a moment for him to put a name to the face. Aika, he would finally recall. He didn't know much about her, but from their brief interactions at UA, he knew enough. She was well-off, and, honestly, a little stuck-up. Or, at least, that was how he saw it. What more did he need to know? And, anyway, why was she here? Aside from claiming his assignment, he had very little knowledge of what exactly this little meeting would bring. All he could do for now was wonder, wait, and listen.

Last edited by Dash on Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:12 am 

After taking a seat in a chair across the desk as she was instructed, Aika lightly twirled one of her long blue pigtails with her finger to pass the time as she waited for the other new side kick to join them. She knew it wouldn’t be long when she heard the footsteps ascending the stairs, and just before the door opened, she dropped her hand away from her hair and sat up just a little straighter, perhaps instinctively wanting to make a good impression. But that was a people-pleaser for you, wasn’t it? She didn’t even know the guy—or so she thought—and she was already seeking his approval without even realizing it.

When the door opened, she tossed a look back over her shoulder, a friendly smile painted on her lips. The moment she saw him, her heart sank, although she fought hard not to allow her disappointment to show on her face. She could tell by the way that he squinted when he looked at her that he recognized her, although it seemed to take a moment for him to place her. “Hello,” she greeted him, using her years of training as an idol to force herself to be pleasant despite her personal feelings.

It wasn’t as if she hated the guy, she didn’t, really. He was rather cocky, to be sure, but beyond that he seemed to be a decent guy from what she could tell. No, that was not the problem. The problem, rather, was that he seemed to dislike her for reasons she didn’t truly understand, and he seemed perfectly content to maintain whatever preconceptions he held that blinded him from seeing her. He was probably the only person she had ever met that she could not get to like her. If she really thought about it, though, had she ever really tried? Or had she simply run from it because it irked her, or because she was afraid to face the possibility that even if she tried, he would still hate her no matter what she did?

What did it matter whether he liked her or not anyway? It wasn’t as though anyone could go through life without ever finding anyone with whom they didn’t get along. She didn’t need his approval to validate her… was how she knew she should feel, but old habits die hard, and it is not so easy to accept something so contrary to your entire world view. Instead, she decided that this time she would figure out why he hated her so much and make him like her! She would worry about her messed up sense of self worth at a later date.

Meanwhile, Miyuki (AKA Shadow Angel) gave the newcomer a small smile, “Good morning,” she greeted him, gesturing to the empty chair next to Aika. “I gather that the two of you know one another?” she observed, picking up on the tension in the room, “Nonetheless, let’s get introductions out of the way,” she suggested, standing as she did. This would force the two of them to interact and allow them all to become familiar with one another’s hero name, if they were not already. “As you have probably guessed, I am Shadow Angel. I am the hero who runs this agency and I take that very seriously. I expect the same from you. Whatever your differences, I expect you will put them aside when you put on those uniforms. Understood?” she spoke in a voice that was both soft and commanding all that once.

Yes ma’am,” Aika nodded fervently, once again instinctively sitting up a little straighter in her seat. The pink-haired hero gave a nod to her, waited for Nico to indicate his understanding, then looked back to Aika, “Go ahead. Start with your name and either why you want to be a hero or what kind of hero you want to be, your choice.” The younger woman hesitated only a brief second before quickly standing and speaking up to introduce herself. “I am Siren. I want to be the kind of hero who can make people happy, make them smile, and make them feel safe, because they can put their trust in me,” she explained with an unexpected earnestness. “I look forward to working with both of you,” she bowed before returning to her seat.

Once Aika was back in her seat, both women turned their attention to Nico, awaiting his answer. "And what about you?" Miyuki asked, tilting her head and watching him curiously.

Last edited by Amara on Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

View Likes PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:21 am 

With an invitation from the hero-in-charge, he took the empty seat next to Aika. Almost as soon as he had, the heroin in front of them had already begun barking commands--warning them with a firm voice to set aside any harsh, personal feelings. At the reprimand, he flashed Aika a sideways glance as if the tension were all her fault. Even if for the sake of professionalism, putting aside his resentment was a task easier said than done. But, in the end, he knew Shadow Angel was right. For now, he had to at least act like he didn't want to throw a tantrum, say good riddance, and storm out of the room.

As Aika stood to begin her introduction, Nico only listened, gazing to the side as if he were a child who'd just been reprimanded. Listening absently, it irked him even more that she actually had valid reasons for pursuing the work of a hero. Honestly, he'd been expecting something shallow, something along the lines of, "I want to dazzle!" or, "I want people to look at me!" But, her words had been far from his expectations. To make people smile, and feel safe; that was her reason. Getting down to the nitty-gritty of the introducing--i.e, looking past all those happy-go-lucky vibes--she wanted to better other people's lives. She wanted to be worthy of trust, and offer herself in service. It was all something Nico could more than understand, which was why it rubbed him the wrong way. It was just so good, and she was so... not. But, then again, for all he knew, this was a lie, and she was only working to play everyone into her greedy little hands.

As it was time for his own introduction, Nico rose steadily from his seat. He stood tall and proud, but with a casual slump. "Supernova," he began with a simple statement, "I want to be a hero because I want to help people who can't help themselves--to protect them; be their shield," giving his honest intentions, he stared into nothing with an intense determination, focused as if peering into some faraway fantasy. Yes, that was it; that was his goal. His life work, his very own fantasy. Even if he had to work with some less-than-bearable characters to get there, it would be worth it in the end. After a slight pause, a once solemn expression suddenly melted into a proud, cheerful smirk. This was a big day for him, the start of the real journey. It felt as if everything before this had only been the prologue.

Even if he did have to go along with this whole duo thing, he felt nothing could quell his new-found tides of rising optimism. Following his previous trends of an upbeat spirit, he mimicked Aika's polite gesture with his own. For now, he would put aside the childish scoffs and the devious glares. He had to focus. "Let's do our best," adding an extra, happy bounce to this tone, he would conclude his brief time in the spotlight with a bow. Promptly falling once more into his seat, his ivy gaze focused on the commander-in-chief. Now, he could only assume, they could get on to the juicy stuff.

Last edited by Dash on Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:21 pm 

As Nico stood to introduce himself, Aika watched with muted curiosity, wondering what his reason might be. What sort of hero did he wish to be? She had to keep her imagination and her judgements in check, doing her best not to do to him the very things he had done to her. Even so, she was surprised by his reason. If she thought about it, though, why should she be? She had never really known him. She could count on one hand the number of times they had met before today. All she really knew was that he wasn’t the type to try to understand why others said or did things, he simply acted. He seemed to be rather impulsive and self-righteous, but this was based on few real interactions, so she opted to reserve judgment for now.

When his expression abruptly changed to a proud and cheerful smirk, she was just a little taken aback, although she quickly shook her head and wiped that expression from her face, having no desire to give him the satisfaction of seeing her make such a face. She simply nodded an agreement in response to his almost unsettlingly happy closing remark, before turning her gaze to the heroin across the desk. She, too, wondered if they would now move on to the more interesting portion of this meeting.

As her two new sidekicks introduced themselves, Miyuki watched them, her gaze both curious and critical. Everyone had a reason for becoming a hero. If they didn’t, most would never make it into a hero course, let alone make it through the program, work studies, and internships to get this far. That said, having a reason and having a good reason were two different things. So many people had shallow or flimsy reasons such as wanting to be popular, wanting to get girls, and wanting to make money. There were also those who wanted to carry on a legacy, make their family proud, or become strong, none of which were bad reasons, but perhaps not the noble reason many would expect from a hero.

She was thankful, then, that her two newest recruits had noble reasons. One wished to make others feel safe by making them smile and giving them someone to put their trust in while the other wished to serve and protect others by becoming their shield. They both had excellent reasons and, though they might not see it, their desires were complimentary to one another.

She was silent after Nico took his seat, looking between them, her left arm crossing her chest while her right elbow rested on the back of her left hand and her right hand rested on her chin, as though she were appraising them. After a few moments, she closed her eyes and nodded, “Good. It seems I made the right choice, then,” she reaffirmed her decision, although it was unclear if this was for her own benefit or for theirs. She then took a seat and quickly went over a few boring, but important key points in the agency handbook they would have been given upon hire and reviewed where to direct any questions related to pay, time off, and things of that nature before resting her elbows on the desk, interlacing her fingers lightly, and resting her chin on them with a smile, “Right. Then let’s get to it, shall we?

The two of you will be working together quite a bit, so I do recommend that you try to get to know each other outside of work. Of course, I can’t make you,” she added, her face taking on a serious expression as she continued, “That said, I will offer this warning: discord and a lack of trust between partners is dangerous and it just might get you both killed. Think about it,” she warned, briefly inspecting their faces for understanding before allowing her expression to relax. Following this advice, Aika nodded, a thoughtful look on her face as she gave a soft "yes ma'am," in response.

I will start you both out on patrol. You’ve both done work studies and internships, so I assume you have done this before,” she looked between them, “Still, I like to go with my new sidekicks on their first patrol, unless you have any objections?” She was not necessarily opposed to allowing them to go out on their own, but most found it nice to learn the ropes before going out on their own, and it gave her a chance to see them work up close and provide any necessary pointers to ensure both a proper patrol and a safe return. With these two, it would also give her a chance to observe their interactions a bit more. She hoped that they could get past their differences and work together, but she would be lying if she said she wasn't at least a little worried.

Aika shook her head, having no objections to this, "I have no problem with that. I would love to see how you do things." She had visited this area before, but she was not intimately familiar with it, so she welcomed the idea of being shown the patrol routes and how this agency handled patrols. Miyuki gave a nod to the girl and then turned her attention to Nico, awaiting his response.

Last edited by Amara on Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

View Likes PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:24 pm 

By the almost scrutinizing posture and expression of the judging hero, Nico felt as if they'd just turned in a test without even realizing it. Would their answers satisfy the teacher's standards? Would there be a failing grade? Could either of them have given the wrong answer? He felt his own given reason had been an excellent one, one that could drive him far and lead him to the top. As such, he was very confident he would pass this surprise test with flying colors. They weren't kept in suspense for long, as with an appraising nod, it was clear the hero was pleased with both of their responses. "Let's get to it, shall we?" And with that, they could finally get to the real reason they were here.

A steady and alert gaze fixed on Shadow Angel as she began. Nico was practically on the edge of his seat in anticipation. But, of course, before the hero would really begin, she would once more give the two young sidekicks a word of warning. It was true that in order to be effective work partners, the two would actually have to work together. There could be no hate, no resentment, no discord if they ever hoped to truly be successful. What would happen if either of their lives were in danger? There had to be trust; a relationship in which they knew they could rely on one another. For Nico, that would be... difficult. How was he to completely ignore how he felt about Aika when he knew how she was? It would take much self-control, that was for sure--a virtue which, in his case, flew out the window as soon as things got heated.

With a glance, a poisonous gaze would slip to meet the thoughtful eyes of Aika, examining with critique her attentive expression. A quick blink brought his attention back to Shadow Angel, and a soft inhale was followed by a sharp exhale. He truly wanted this first patrol to go well, so, he supposed he would do his best to... get along. But, there was no guarantee. If nothing else, he would simply ignore Aika; at least giving the silent treatment would be more acceptable than losing it in front of his new boss. The concept of developing a personal relationship with Aika outside of work, however, was completely out of the question. Why would he want to spend any more time with her than he absolutely had to?

Despite his true thoughts, he made the gesture of accepting the advice with a prompt, affirming nod. "Sure," came his brief response, as to his pleasure they then moved on to the next subject.

Patrols were one of the more simple tasks in a hero's queue. One would simply walk throughout a given route and make sure life was as it should be. However, there were many ways even such a simple task could turn south. One of those ways was getting lost, which would be fairly easy for first-timers. It made sense for Shadow Angel to accompany them then, both to familiarize the two with the route as well as demonstrate how her agency handled things.

"Sounds good to me," with no objections, he pressed his hands to his knees as he started out of his seat. At the prospect of finally starting their duties, he was once again brimming with entry and excitement, eyes alight and toes bouncing up and down. As if preparing for a long run, he began to do simple stretches, placing one hand on his hip and reaching the other up and overhead before moving to the next side. He wanted to be ready to his fullest, which meant being prepared in case they ran into trouble. "Where are we patrolling?" he inquired innocently, speaking in between stretches.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:46 pm 

As their superior explained how important it was that they get along, Aika could feel Nico’s gaze on her. Was he hoping she would spontaneously burst into flames? She wondered about that, but kept her gaze focused on the hero who carried on with their orientation, although whether her mind was fully focused on her words was a different story. She was trying hard to focus, but some part of her couldn’t help but wonder if they would ever get along. At this rate, they would probably be the worst partners in history. That was if they lived long enough to make names for themselves.

She sighed quietly to herself as Miyuki discussed patrolling before both Aika and Nico voiced their understanding and acceptance, neither having any objections to Shadow Angel going along with them on their first patrol. Hey, at least they could agree on something. That was a start, she guessed, following his lead and standing up from her chair, stretching out as she did.

As they stretched, Shadow Angel stood from her own chair and gathered a couple of objects from her desk, including a communicator, which she attached to her belt. “We will be patrolling a section of the ward. I have other side kicks who will be on their own patrols, and there are other agencies in the ward that will also be patrolling, so between all of us, we cover the entire ward,” she explained, placing her hands on her hips and smiling almost mischievously, “If you’re lucky, you might even get to meet some of the other heroes in the area.” With that she headed for the door, gesturing for the two of them to follow.

Aika wondered who the other heroes that Shadow Angel was referring to might be, but rather than ask, she let her mind wander briefly, to try to recall the other agencies nearby. As she did this, she felt a rush of excitement. She hoped that they would run into someone cool. For now, she followed after the hero as they left the room, headed down the stairs, and then out the door. They took a right as they came out of the building and began their trek down the street.

Their pace as they walked the streets was unhurried, almost casual, and for her part, Shadow Angel seemed completely relaxed, almost as if she were simply taking a stroll. “So, do you personally patrol all the time? Or do your side kicks mostly do the patrolling?” Aika asked curiously. Most of the heroes she had met patrolled at least a little, however, in the agency she had done her internship with, the sidekicks did the majority of the patrolling.

Shadow Angel glanced back at her blue-haired sidekick briefly before looking ahead again. “I try to go out on patrol at least once a day. I think people feel safer when they know that the heroes in charge are also out their keeping an eye on things, you know?” she explained. As she spoke, she continued walking at the same pace, looking back to both sidekicks from time to time. To their left, a man wearing a trench coat headed for a store, pulling out a weapon just as he was about to enter the shop. No sooner than he had done this, a faint purple energy surrounded the weapon, swiftly pulling it from his hands and then proceeding to hit him hard in the back of the head, knocking him unconscious before falling to the ground next to him.

Sure, having the agency nearby, seeing the sidekicks, and hearing the name all play a part, but they aren’t a substitute for getting out there and showing your face, talking to people, and letting them see and feel your presence,” she continued, not seeming to pay any mind as a beam came loose from a crane at a construction site a couple hundred feet ahead and began falling towards the street below but stopped not even halfway down and floated back up with that same faint purple glow, coming to rest on a stack of similar beams, or when a frightened cat was lifted from the tree and placed in his worried owner’s arms, and an elderly woman and her groceries were helped up a nearby set of stairs, almost simultaneously. “After all, now more than ever, the public needs to know that we are here. They need someone to look to, to rely and put their faith in,” she continued speaking in the same calm, level, almost carefree tone as she walked, despite the bustle of the street, or the commotion around her.

It was only after a child nearly ran into the street and was halted by the purple energy that she paused her discussion and stopped momentarily. “You should be more careful,” she told the little girl, whose eyes were wide after she narrowly avoided being hit by a speeding car. The girl seemed to be dazed, but she nodded in response as her mother rushed over in tears, scooping the girl into her arms and thanking Shadow Angel before scolding the child lightly as she carried her away. The hero simply smiled and waved off the thanks, “Don’t worry about it. Just be sure to keep a close eye on her in the future. She’s quite a runner,” she smiled before turning to continue on her patrol.

She smiled and waved at other citizens on the street her called out to her, returned the greetings of those nearby who spoke to her, and even signed a few autographs before kindly insisting that they must return to their patrol. “As you can see, being a hero is about more than just fighting villains,” she looked between the two as they resumed their patrol. “It’s about letting them know that you are there, that you care. And sometimes, making them feel safe is as simple as smiling and saying hello,” she explained. “Make sense?” she asked as she glanced back at the two of them.

Aika, who had looked to be in awe moments before, now had a thoughtful and determined look on her face as she held her chin in her left hand, nodding in a way that made it difficult to tell if she were nodding in response to the hero or her own thoughts. "Yeah!" she responded enthusiastically a couple of seconds later. "That was awesome! Everyone looked so happy, like they were really glad to see you. And they all seemed so at ease," she observed, putting her hand to her chin once more. "I wonder if I can ever make people feel that way?" she wondered aloud before shaking her head, "Anyways. Yes, it makes perfect sense."

Shadow Angel smiled at the girl, “I'm glad. Keeping working at it. I'm sure you will be great," she assured her with a gentle smile. "What you about, Supernova? What do you think so far? Any questions?” she asked, turning her gaze from the young woman to the young man.

Last edited by Amara on Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

View Likes PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:45 pm 

As Shadow Angel gave them the rundown, the young sidekick listened tentatively. They'd already so much to take in on their first day, and the possibility of running into other heroes only added to his ecstasy. It was a given that, during internships and work studies, he'd already met more heroes and sidekicks than he could count. But this was different—these ones were going to be the heroes he'd serve with, the heroes that would see to his journey to the top. While the school studies and internships had served that same purpose, serving full time under an agency would work to a far greater and more extensive extent.

Rearing to get started, Nico followed behind as Shadow Angel and Aika headed out the door. Much like his fellow sidekick, Nico felt a rush of excitement as they began their patrol. More often than not, these routine patrols were nothing more than uneventful, boring strolls; but even if nothing particularly memorable were to happen, this trek marked the beginning of something much greater. And, who knows? Maybe they'd be lucky enough to catch a purse-snatcher or help an old lady cross the street.

As Aika spoke, her casual question was mere background noise as he listened absently, his emerald gaze alert and vigilant as it swept the surrounding streets. His attention was soon drawn back, however, by the hero's response. He listened with curiosity, becoming suddenly contemplative as what she said began to make sense. He hadn't realized before, but now that he really looked, everyone around them seemed so... at ease. Smiles, laughter, people strolling comfortably; they looked as if they had absolutely nothing to worry about. It was a concept, a reality, he had somehow missed before. On his previous patrols, he'd probably been much too caught up in the work itself to have noticed—too concerned with performing well. But now, looking back, he recalled there had always been an air of peace when a hero was around. A hero's presence alone was enough to put the streets at ease.

As the great hero continued, whatever his expectations for the patrol were suddenly tossed to the side. Left and right, one situation arose after the other, and like a viper, she swiftly and neatly struck down each and every problem as they arose. All while chatting casually. In any normal situation, Nico would have leaped into action himself; but each danger was handled so quickly, all he could do was sit there and watch with a dumb look on his face. By far, Shadow Angel had to be the most powerful hero he'd ever worked with. It looked like he'd struck a gold mine.

As the hero-of-the-day took a break from saving lives and giving autographs, she turned back to her sidekicks only to be met with the most idiotic, dumbfounded expression as Nico responded with a slow, almost disbelieving nod. He got what she was saying—he understood perfectly—but like... really?? Was she some sort of goddess?

It was Aika's response that brought him out of his shock, putting into words and confirming the very observation Nico had made earlier. He wondered briefly, if he, too, could make others feel so serene.

But as the attention was turned to himself, all previous sentiment was lost, and he returned once more to wide eyes and open mouth. This time, though he wasn't truly angry, he looked as if he were simply fuming. "Yeah, that all makes sense and whatever--but I just- that was-" he stammered, struggling to recompose himself, "How did you do all that? That was amazing!" he spoke with indignation and shock, throwing his arms up in the air to emphasize his point of "amazing". Really, he'd never worked with such a versatile, quick-thinking hero. Certainly, he'd seen many like her, but their skills were never to this extent. He was sure now, that he had made the right choice in choosing to work with her.

View Likes PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:59 pm 

The look on Nico’s face perfectly summed up exactly how Aika had been feeling. Of course, as an idol, she couldn’t allow herself look that dumbfounded, in case there happened to be a camera nearby. It was, however, exactly how she felt. It had been incredible the way she had done so many things with such ease, all while conversing with them, as though it were effortless. How could she do that? Just how powerful was she?

As she wondered this, Nico spoke up, looking as though he were fuming. As he spoke, however, she realized that he wasn’t really angry. In fact, he voiced the very thing that she, too, had been wondering. She couldn’t help but giggle at the display, although she hadn’t meant to. For some reason, she thought that this was probably the cutest thing he’d ever done. Although, she wondered just what that said about her. “Sorry,” she quickly apologized to him with a small bow before turning her attention to Shadow Angel. She had a torn look on her face for a moment before she pressed her eyes shut and bit her lip, as if she were forcing herself to do something painful. “He’s right. That was amazing!” she finally exclaimed, “How did you—all of those things—what the heck!” she put her hands on the sides of her face with a face that was the very picture of the expression ‘mind blown.’

Miyuki smiled innocently, “Was it really that impressive?” she asked almost incredulously. “Yes!” Aika responded immediately, almost seemed offended by the heroes modesty, to which Miyuki held her hands up in front of her chest in surrender, waving them back and forth quickly, “Alright, alright, don’t be angry,” she replied with a nervous chuckle before rubbing the back of her neck with one hand.

Well, let’s see. How to explain this…” she replied, thinking out loud, “Has anyone ever explained the idea of running parallel processes to you before?” Miyuki looked back at the two of them, curious as to whether they understood what she was talking about. Aika, for her part, shook her head to indicate that she had never had this explained to her. “No, I don’t think so. Or at least, if they did, they didn’t call it that,” the younger hero answered before looking to Nico to see if he had perhaps learned something she had not.

Following a pause for the boy to answer, Miyuki went on to explain the concept as they continued their patrol. “Well, I won’t go into a lot of detail now, but think of it like an advanced form of multitasking. You train your mind and body to do many things all at once, sort of like learning to walk and talk at the same time, or listen to a conversation while also remaining vigilant to your surroundings, ” she tried to explain, “Of course, everyone is different, so some people can do a lot more at once than others can, but the important things is to take it one step at a time and to know your limits,” she explained, looking back and giving them a smile, “I think you both have a lot of potential, so I’m happy to teach you more at some point, if you would like.

Aika listened intently as the hero explained, nodding to herself as the explanation came to a close. “I see. Sort of like learning to sing and dance at the same time. You have to learn to do each part well before you try to do them together, otherwise you will definitely mess up a lot,” she was mostly thinking out loud, but Miyuki gave her a nod in response. “Yes, and the more practice you have with each individual aspect, the easier it will be to perform them at once,” Miyuki explained. “Hmmmm. Alright then. I’ll do my best!” Aika promised, now feeling even more fired up. Miyuki chuckled, "I look forward to it," she responded with a smile before looking over her other shoulder at Nico, checking in to see how he was processing this information.

Last edited by Amara on Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

View Likes PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:21 pm 

Nico's over-the-top reaction had, understandably, elicited a little giggle from his new partner; at the sound of which, Nico crossed his arms, and turned away with a prompt hmph. At this point, he looked less like an aggressor, and more like a child angry that he wasn't being taken seriously. He continued to pout in this manner as Aika showcased her amazement. Miyuki's innocent response to the praise almost brought Nico to the point of erupting in frustration, as in unison with Aika's response he dropped his arms, yelling "yes!" just as she had. The hero, annoyingly, didn't seem to think her actions were such a big deal; but to the comparatively inexperienced sidekicks, it was almost incomprehensible. After such a display, Nico felt he deserved to know the secret of just how she'd gotten to that level of saving the day, and to his delight, she wouldn't hesitate in handing it over.

As Shadow Angel tossed some foreign term their way, Nico shook his head to indicate he'd never heard of such a concept. Coming to attention, he became very alert to each following word that spilled from the hero's mouth, emerald hues focused intently. Once she actually began, however, he quickly went from attentive and inquisitive, to eyes narrowing in confusion. He did his best to process the information, which wasn't as difficult a concept as the initial term may have led him to believe. He wasn't a complete idiot, so after Shadow Angel had put it into simple words, it all began to click together. Such a simple breakdown was easy to understand, once she got rid of those pesky fancy words.

Unlike Aika, Nico rarely multitasked on any level. But, as they were currently demonstrating, keeping a conversation while staying alert was easy enough. He could at least do that, so maybe all hope wasn't lost. As Aika then chipped in, giving her own understanding of the concept, Nico soaked in the volunteered information like a sponge. It all made sense now; he just had to find a starting point, and work his way up! Of course, in Nico's case, he'd probably severely over-estimate himself and end up bite off way more than he could chew. But, that was neither here nor there. Having a newfound understanding of Shadow Angel's multitasking process--and knowing she wasn't some actually some sort of goddess--his overwhelming confidence suddenly returned. "Ahh, alright! I think I get it," he spoke with a cheery grin, in a laidback posture bringing his hands to hammock gently the back of in his head. "That doesn't sound so bad."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:38 pm 

Miyuki was glad that her sidekicks had understood what she was attempting to teach them, and that they were so eager to learn. It was a welcomed change of pace. It wasn’t as though her life’s goal was to train and raise up the next generation of heroes, but she was happy to do her part when they came her way. After all, without adequately trained heroes, the villains may very well overtake them one day and their hero society may fall. She had no intention of allowing that to happen, insomuch as she could affect such things.

Great. I’m glad you understand,” she smiled lightly, “Just remember, don’t try to take on too much at once or skip ahead too many steps. Find a good starting point, work hard, and be patient. It will come in time. It may be frustrating at times because it is not something that comes naturally to most people. It will probably be harder than it sounds, if we are being honest. That doesn’t mean you can’t do it,” she encouraged them. “We all start somewhere, right?

Aika laughed a little to herself when Nico seemed to suddenly regain his confidence, as if he suddenly realized that what Shadow Angel had does was not outside of the realm of possibilities for a normal hero, or at least not completely. She was just a human, after all, not an actual angel or some sort of goddess walking among them. That meant that, with time, perhaps they could at least learn to do something similar. Aika had her doubts that she would ever be on quite that level, as she wasn’t sure she had the level of attention and cognitive skills to run that many processes at once. But perhaps she could at least come close?

Aika suddenly slapped her cheeks a couple of times, as if to fire herself up. “Alright! Let’s work hard together, ‘kay?” she grinned at Nico, momentarily forgetting that he actually didn’t like her and probably had no interest in doing anything together. Miyuki hoped that the two could bond over a shared goal such as this, and that Aika’s enthusiasm was shared and that this would be a good sign. But it was too early to tell at this point.

Soon they turned a corner, heading down another street. Passing by on the sidewalk on the other side of the street, heading in the opposite direction around the block across the street was a pair of side kicks from another agency. They waved to the Heroes and carried on with their patrol. Miyuki waved back with a friendly smile and Aika followed her lead as they passed by. “So, is this portion of the patrol less eventful because the other heroes’ patrols overlapped with ours? Or was earlier just kind of a fluke?” Aika asked curiously.

Miyuki chuckled lightly at the question, “Fair question. It is probably sort of both. Patrol is somewhat of a feast or famine sort of thing, as I’m sure you have experienced before,” she explained, to which Aika nodded a confirmation, “Some parts are exciting, other parts are quiet. That said, areas of overlapping patrols tend to be quieter because criminals can expect to run into heroes in these areas, so they tend to try to avoid them, if they are smart. That said, sometimes they aren’t, so you may still find trouble, or you may come in to find another hero already engaged,” she explained.

Luckily for us, for whichever reason, it is quiet for the moment,” she smiled, although she recognized that as new heroes, they were probably itching to see some action. “I know that you will probably find them boring now because you want to get out there and test your skills, to do the work that you signed up for. Eventually, though, you’ll learn to enjoy the quiet moments,” she looked between the two and then chuckled to herself as she turned her attention ahead, “Heck, I even know someone that has made it is goal to create a world where heroes have plenty of time of their hands,“ she smiled lightly, shaking her head a bit as she did.

Any other questions?” she asked, this time not looking back at them. Aika thought and then shook her head, “Not right now,” she answered, falling silent to give Nico a chance to speak up if he had any questions of his own.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:53 pm 

"Don't try to take on too much at once." It was advice that, even to the ambitious sidekick, made perfect sense. But the question wasn't whether or not he would heed the advice, but whether or not he'd be level enough to know where his limits actually were. He'd almost undoubtedly take on too much at one time, but that was just how he learned best—by doing, by trial and error. He'd get it eventually, and from there, he would only progress.

As fired up as he was, it had been easy to forget any grudges he held against Aika. As the blue-haired girl turned to him with a thrilling offer, he didn't think for a moment about turning it down. In fact, it was almost as if he hadn't been thinking at all, as his response had been so immediate it seemed almost like an instinct. "Alright!" he agreed rather loudly, announcing his ambition as he triumphantly punched the empty air above his head. In the midst of the excitement, the response he'd given was just a glimpse of comradery; a lapse, in which Nico seemed to accept the other sidekick's presence with no hostility. Was this a sign, an indication of a future relationship? Well, maybe; maybe not. There were many issues he bore with the girl—all of which would remain unspoken for now, and most of which could not be resolved by simple excitement and loud enthusiasm. More likely, it seemed that, in that moment, he had merely been swept away by the thrills and gone against his own mind. Nonetheless, he would not retract his words even after coming to his senses. He saw, at least, she was willing to reach out.

As they turned the corner, Nico joined Miyuki and Aika in greeting the unfamiliar patrol, flashing a smirk as he gave a two-finger wave. Without missing a beat, they then continued on, and once more Nico tuned idly into the chatter of Miyuki and Aika as he swept the streets with a watchful gaze. He didn't pay much attention to the ongoing conversation, but just enough to realize Aika's question and the given response.

He had, in fact, noticed the whole "feast or famine" concept. As the active youth, he was, it had been something that was so glaringly obvious and something he'd been so painfully aware of, he almost groaned at its acknowledgment. The way he saw it, a patrol was usually either exhilarating or mind-numbingly uneventful. What could be more exciting than chasing down a villain? But what could be more boring than not chasing down a villain? There was almost no in-between, aside from trivial acts such as rescuing a cat from a tree or breaking up a civilian dispute—all events which paled in comparison. But, perhaps, peaceful and common patrols weren't so boring; perhaps he only craved action too much, perhaps he only needed to settle his own expectations. He was far from realizing this, however, and would only continue to thirst for adventure for as long as his energy remained unbridled.

Unlike Shadow Angel, Nico didn't find the peace too fortunate. While they certainly had had enough excitement at the beginning of the patrol, it was beginning to feel a little too quiet. He wanted to see the master of paralell processes in action again—he wanted to once again witness her power. But, then again, there would be time for that later. After all, this was the hero he had signed up to work with, and he had a feeling there would be a lot more excitement in the future.

Once again, the young hero-in-command would offer another chance for questions. He had a few come to mind already, and after Aika answered he would speak up boldly. "Are there any spots that don't get patrolled, or do you cover this whole area?" he questioned, switching his gaze to land on the lecturing hero. He only asked since, it would go without saying, if there were any areas that lacked their attention, those would likely be criminal hotspots. "And are there any areas you run into trouble a lot?" the latter was a standard question for a new sidekick to raise since they would be the ones performing the sweeps. It was something they had to be aware of, and something they would have to be prepared for.

View Likes PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:08 pm 

Aika was glad that Nico had returned her enthusiasm, although this did not mean that she was under the impression that this meant he suddenly liked her. It seemed more likely to her that he simply got caught up in the moment despite himself and it momentarily slipped his mind that he hated her. That wouldn’t last forever, and she was quite certain that he would probably go back to his usual demeanor towards her in no time.

Miyuki realized that this excitement was likely temporary, but she did hope that they would find some way to get past whatever their issues were and work together. She thought that they would actually make quite a good team if they could move past their differences. She doubted that they would agree now, so she would not mention it, but perhaps in time they would come to realize it on their own. If not, she was not opposed to giving them the push they needed, when the time was right.

As she answered Aika’s question, she thought that neither of them were particularly thrilled that the patrol had calmed down, nor did they share her sentiment that such quiet was fortunate. They were young—although only a couple of years younger than she was—and less experienced, so it made sense that they were fired up and ready for action. That feeling would likely fade eventually, but it was not something that was likely to happen any time in the near future. Some might start to feel this way in the first year of their hero work, but for many, it took years for this to come.

The reality was that any time their patrol was exciting, it meant that someone was being hurt, in danger of being hurt, or otherwise in a less than ideal situation. Sure, it was the nature of things and whether they wished for excitement or not, it would eventually find them. Villains were an issue because sometimes humans were just garbage. It was the whole reason that heroes existed in the first place. Most people didn’t think of it this way, but even if it meant that she would have less to do, she hoped that one day they could create a society where heroes weren’t needed, or at least where, as Hawks liked to say, they had too much time on their hands. Not because she wanted more free time, wanted to relax, or anything like that, but because it would mean that people were safe and they could live their lives without fear.

She turned her attention to Nico as he spoke up, taking her up on her offer to answer any additional questions he had. He asked if there were spots that did not get patrolled, or areas where they ran into trouble a lot. She thought for a brief moment before answering, “There are probably spots in Japan that don’t get patrolled, but not around here, no. When I started the agency, I set up our patrol routes to cover the areas that were missed by other agencies nearby,” she explained, “As I said before, though, there are areas where our patrols overlap with others, if not at the same time, so those areas tend to have lower crime rates than the areas where out patrols do not overlap,” she continued, looking back at both of them to make sure they were following what she was saying.

As I’m sure you can guess, the areas that once did not have patrols, or at least lacked daily patrols, are still more troublesome, even though we’ve been here for over a year now. They lack an overlap, so criminals tend to try to plan their attacks, robberies, or whatever they may be for when they do not think heroes will be around,” she explained matter-of-factly. “Our patrols are planned ahead of time and I try to switch up our patrol routes so that they are harder to predict and building a plan around the route and timing is more difficult, but there are only so many different ways you can patrol the same area and so many ways you can mix it up, so it is not fully unpredictable,” she added, stretching her arms above her head to loosen the tension in her shoulders, “I’ll show you the problems spots on this route as we reach them, and I can point the others out on the map once we get back to the office,” she added, looking at Nico, knowing that he likely wanted to know the exact areas that might give them problems.

Aika thought about what she had said and asked a follow-up question, “So, we will know ahead of time what areas we will be patrolling?” she asked curiously. Miyuki nodded, “Yes, and you will also be assigned an area to assist if trouble arises for one of the other sidekicks,” she explained, “You will be responsible for responding to any crimes in your area or along your route, as well as assisting other sidekicks or agencies in the area if there is an even requiring additional personnel. Does that make sense?” she asked, looking at both of them.

Aika nodded, her hand once again on her chin as she considered this, “It sounds like you are way more structured and organized than the other agencies I worked with,” she commented thoughtfully. She wondered if Nico would have any issue with this. He didn’t seem like the type to like a lot of rules or structure. Then again, she could be wrong, she was just going off of the assumption that he was impulsive and hotheaded, as that was how she pictured him. “So, what happens if there is a large-scale disaster or attack somewhere else in the ward?” she asked, recalling that the agency she had done her internship with and the one where she had done her work study had each done things differently.

Well, we all carry communicators,” she showed them hers and added, “yours will be in soon, probably tomorrow at the latest. If there is a major event outside of our area and backup is requested, I will contact everyone to give you orders on whether I want you assisting or covering patrols, unless it is an all hands-on deck type of situation. That said, I will not tell you to go against your judgement if you are close by and feel you are needed. Just communicate with me so I can plan accordingly,” she answered before a somewhat dangerous grin appeared on her face, “Just don’t think that means you can disobey my orders without consequences,” she warned before giving an innocent smile and carrying on like nothing had happened.

Aika chuckling nervously, imagining what kind of things the hero might do to them as punishment if they disobeyed. On the one hand, she seemed sweet and even innocent. On the other hand, she was kind of terrifying. She quickly shook her head to rid herself of the imagines her imagination conjured, “Right, understood,” she sounded more formal than she had meant to, probably because she had let herself be psyched up by her imagination. Miyuki smiled back at her and then looked to Nico as if to see if he had any follow up questions of his own.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:11 pm 

It was a smart, and necessary move, he thought, to have filled in the gaps where other patrols had been lacking. Not only would it aid in keeping the streets as safe as possible, but it had probably lifted a heavy burden off the backs of other agencies. It was always better to work in unison, rather than stretching oneself thin. Listening with intent as Miyuki answered his questions, Nico continued to nod along.

It was mentioned once more the overlap, then Shadow Angel began to speak on the troublesome areas he had asked about. Like everything the pro-hero had explained thus far, it made perfect sense. Criminals had developed a habit of going to these places, a repertoire; these areas were their territory, despite even the current hero patrols. Without an overlap--or something as impossible as constant surveillance--there would always be a chance for them to strike. A window of opportunity, in which they could commit their atrocities and scurry back into the shadows. It was a maddening reality, but one that they worked against every day. The agencies did their best, as Shadow Angel explained, by trying new ways to switch up patrols to catch the criminals red-handed. It was the best they could do, after all; they couldn't exactly have eyes inside every alleyway in Japan.

"I see," he muttered absently, contemplative as he turned his head to glance across the street. As their superior's explanation came to a close, they were given a promise tied to the end to be shown these problem spots. "Ah, great," he smiled, nonchalant as he reached his arms up in a stretch. It would be beneficial to see the areas in person, especially with their guide present to answer any questions they might have.

The next questions to arise were spoken by Aika, who at this point Nico had at least gotten used to being around. When she spoke, he listened with little resistance, rather being focused curiously on the answers to come. Back and forth went the dialogue between the two girls, and Nico listened to every question and answer as if taking mental notes. He usually wasn't so attentive, but today, he was focused. It was important for him to know what they would be up against, and to know just how their patrols were to be organized.

Shadow Angel's response to Aika's first question piqued his interest, as apparently they would be assigned their own area to cover in case of an emergency. In the said area, they were to be first responders, ready to leap into action and take control; or even to assist other sidekicks who needed it. This organized effort left quite an impression on Nico, as his eyebrows lifted ever-so-slightly in effect. As hotheaded and impulsive as he was, he was actually ecstatic at the idea of having his own area to protect. It offered a sense of responsibility, of duty, as well as showcasing just how much trust this agency offered to its sidekicks. As Aika had commented before him, the Angel Agency was a lot more efficient than some other agencies he'd worked at, and it was a welcomed change.

The next problem to be voiced was a question of what would happen if they were to be presented with a large-scale disaster or attack. This was yet another essential question that they had to be aware of, and one that had a rather simplistic answer. Communicators, as Shadow Angel explained, were the solution. A basic tool that made their work that much more organized. They'd be provided their own communicators, and through the devices, they'd be able to use their best judgment as well as receive orders. Of course, they were then warned that best judgment did not, in fact, mean that they could act on their own. The importance of this warning was stressed by an unsettling, hazardous, grin from their superior. Along with Aika, Nico's response was an awkward, nervous laugh; as if he didn't know how to respond to the sudden change in character. As Miyuki's eyes switched to meet his, he gave off another delicate chuckle, in quick response giving an awkward thumb's up. "Haha.. alright, gotcha..."

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 11:11 am 

Shadow Angel found it amusing how the two sidekicks had reacted to her warning—or perhaps it was the look she had given them—both seeming awkward, unsure of how to handle this change. She chuckled a little before her face turned serious as they neared the next junction in their patrol. “Look alive,” she warned the two sidekicks, her instinct telling her that something was wrong even before her senses registered the loud crash that followed. She rushed forward, turning the corner and leading the two toward the source of the crash. They found a small group of villains attempting to rob a bank. One villain was buff and appeared to be a power-type, he had his fists slammed into the top of a car and appeared ready to throw it.

You’re up!” she told them, giving them permission to act—as if they really needed it—as she reached out a hand to quickly concentrate energy around the car as he threw it. The car barely moved a few inches before it was stopped by her energy and thrown back at him, warping with the energy to wrap around him. She was hoping to at least temporarily restrain him, as she didn’t like going head to head with power-types. They were not her specialty. At the same time, people could be seen being pulled from the bank and other nearby buildings as she attempted to evaluate everyone she could sense.

Siren felt her senses suddenly on high alert as Shadow Angel seemed to sense something was about to happen just before a loud crash could be heard. She followed as the two of them were led towards the noise, then told that they were up. She felt another rush of adrenaline as they had finally been called to act. She gave a determined nod, opening her mouth to sing a song that would stop the villains—or at least the ones who could hear her—in their tracks, paralyzing them so that they couldn’t escape as she sang the next few bars that would put them to sleep. Some of them might resist if they were strong of mind and will, but considering their plan of attack, she found that doubtful.

Your turn!” Siren told Supernova, knowing that at least one or two of the villains had managed to get into the bank. They were outside of her area of effect, so they would still be awake. They could still pull off their plan if they weren’t stopped. He was the only one of their little group that was a power-type, so he would be the best fighter at close range. Shadow Angel was using her energy to find the last remaining citizens in the building and maintain her restraint on the villain who, even in a state of partial sleep, continued to resist.

While he went after them and Shadow Angel continued her tasks, Siren sang a song to bring calm over the villain that continued to struggle, as well as the frightened citizens. The song seemed to help, as the villain slowly stopped resisting and fell into the sleeping state that his comrades had long given into. The citizens seemed less panicked, too, and were easier to direct to a safe location across the street, out of the danger zone while they waited in some suspense for the skirmish to come to a close when Supernova finished the remaining villains off and the police arrived.

Shadow Angel made note of both sidekick’s performances, their quirks, how they used their quirks, if they worked together, and so on. In reality, she could have handled this heist herself with relative ease; she’d done so many times in the past. This, however, was a good chance to see what they could do, rather than showing off what she could do. She made mental notes on things to tell each one back at headquarters, as well as making a mental note to have them explain their quirks a bit more. She had read their portfolios, but they were short blurbs that did little to explain the workings of the quirk, and usually didn’t do them justice. She had some thoughts about both quirks already, and suggestions she planned to make based on what she’d seen, but she would like to confirm these theories before making such suggestions.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 11:05 pm 

Swift to act, Shadow Angel and Siren threw themselves into action as quickly as they were to asses the situation. While Shadow Angel took to halting the hurling car and Siren raised her voice to lull others to sleep, Supernova wasn't far behind. In almost an instant the criminals' main defense had been nullified, and a window had been created for the crime in action to be put to a stop. "On it!" he yelled in confirmation to Siren's cue, taking a step to create a small explosion beneath his foot that sent him into a flying sprint towards the bank entrance. Now inside, he came to a skidding halt as he came to face the culprits. Shocked at his sudden appearance, the two turned to face him, their expressions angry and alarmed. Emerald eyes darting from one figure to the next, Nico was quick to take in the situation. While one of the two held what appeared to be a small explosive, the other clenched his fists--neither showing any obvious signs of a quirk. This was somewhat unfortunate, as he may not know what he was up against until it was to hit him, so he would have to stay on high alert.

It appeared the two men hadn't yet had a chance to break open the door leading to the vault, so at this point, there was almost no chance they could both run and get away with the reward they enviously sought after. It wasn't likely that they would flee without the reward--why would they, when they were so deep in their crime already? So they would either have to defeat him quickly, or be in danger of spending their due time behind bars.

A sharp and angry command from one of the men made it obvious they wouldn't be choosing any escape option. At this command, the larger of the two stepped forward to act as a protective barrier and blocked Nico's path to the secured door. As the other man resumed his work on the door, the criminal now in front of him towered over Nico with a low, intimidating growl. While the criminal cracked his knuckles, Nico brought his fists up to guard his face and sunk low into a readied stance. There was almost no way he could win against this guy in a struggle of brute force, but with his own fighting style coupled with his explosive quirk, he was confident he stood more than a chance. Of course, there was always the uncertainty of what quirk his enemy held, of what surprises could be thrown at him, but he hoped to end the fight before he had the displeasure of finding out.

As the criminal was the first to make a move, the goliath's fist flew towards Supernova's face like a bullet aimed to kill. Quick to dodge the incoming punch, he instinctively dipped down and to the side, effectively yielding the attempted assault useless. Then, as the momentum of the missed punch brought his opponent ever closer, Supernova swiftly grabbed hold of the man's arm with a single hand. As he prepared to throw a punch of his own, he used the grip both as an anchor point and to actively draw energy from his opponent. Then, as he twisted his torso with an energized swing, a blast sounded, and with a bright explosion, his fist sunk forcefully into the man's abdomen. Taking in all the force of the blast, his opponent was sent flying backward and was slammed into a wall.

Just as he had taken down his first target, another blast sounded. This time, it hadn't come from him; but rather, from the last remaining villain. During his brief fight with the larger villain, the other had managed to rig the small explosive to the door, and with the blast, the door had swung open. But as he looked around, he saw no one. The room was now empty, and despite having succeeded in opening the padded door, it seemed the only remaining villain had rightfully abandoned the hope of getting away with a reward. But where had he gone? Ever alert, Nico slowly scanned the room, taking steps forward to peer behind the counter. It was possible that the man had run through the exit in one last act of desperation, but if that were the case he was sure he would have heard some kind of commotion from outside. Just as he had been pondering this, he heard a faint, though distinct step thud behind him. Swiveling his head around, Nico was just able to pull himself out of the way as the missing man suddenly appeared, now swinging at him with a large wrench. As he leaned to the side to dodge the swing, he watched the blur of the object fly past his face. Then, finding his footing, the sidekick was once again quick and reliable to respond to the attack; as soon as he was clear of the wrench's path, he reflexively grabbed the object and used it to pull in the man on the other end. Meeting in the middle, his fist hit the man's face with a sickening thud. The man stumbled back for barely a moment before his knees gave out under him, as he then fell unconscious to the ground. Watching as his opponent tumbled down, Nico relaxed his fists, shaking his hand as if to release the tension. He hadn't put as much force behind this punch as the last--but he'd given just enough to knock the man out.

As he looked around, he released an upbeat and satisfied hmph. It seemed just as soon as the lousy robbery had begun, it was over. Of course, during this battle, Nico had taken into account the destructive power of his own quirk, and had been conscious enough to inhibit the force so as not to cause too much damage to either the perps or to the building itself. As a result, however, it seemed he hadn't quite knocked out the big guy for good. Giving off a groan, the large man had begun to fidget and move. Hearing this, Nico perked, figuring it would probably be best to prevent any resurgence before it could come to fruition. Casually and yet swiftly, he crossed the room and came to stand in front of the wriggling criminal. Handsome features were now crossed with a smirk, as he lifted a single foot to nudge the groaning man. "I'd stay down if I were you," he advised deviously, "unless you want another go."

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 3:57 pm 

There was no point in wasting strength on the large villain now that he was unconscious, so Shadow Angel was quick to twist the vehicle a little tighter around him and toss him to the side. From there, she easily collected the villains all in one place while Siren directed the civilians to safety across the street. The commotion of a fight could be heard inside the bank, but Shadow Angel trusted that the young man could handle himself, so she did not rush to his aid. After all, she would not always be here to aid them, so the quicker they learned to handle things on their own, the better off they would be in the future.

It wasn’t long before the police arrived, setting up a perimeter around the crime scene. With the civilians all safely across the street and most of the villains collected in a small area, there wasn’t a lot left for the officers to do. With a small smirk on her face, Shadow Angel gestured with her head for Siren to follow her as they headed into the bank. The fight was over now, so all that was left to do was deliver the bad guys to the police.

Upon entering the bank, it became obvious that most of the damage the young man had done was to the villains, leaving most of the surroundings unscathed. She smiled just a little as they approached in time to watch him nudge the groaning man with his foot, warning him to stay down. For good measure, Siren basically skipped over to them, leaning her head over to look down at the villain, tilting her head a bit and smiling sweetly. “I would listen to him, if I were you,” she suggested in a sing-song voice, her words laced with a powerful suggestion, which the man quickly succumbed to, losing his will to resist.

Shadow Angel chuckled a little at the two before gesturing for them to step back as the two villains began to float up. At the same time, the vault door swung closed and with a twist of her wrist, the locking mechanisms clicked into place, keeping the door from opening. The door was still damaged, as she could do nothing to fix the actual damage, but it would hold for the moment, until they could replace it. “Good job, you two,” she told them with a proud smile before turning to head towards the door with the two floating villains in tow.

This is the last of them,” she told the police as she dropped the two villains next to the others who now each sported their own restraints. “They managed to blast the vault door open, but Supernova here stopped them before they could take anything,” she explained, gesturing to her male sidekick. “I sealed it shut for now, but it won’t hold forever,” she warned. She gave them whatever other useful information she had and waved off their thanks before they headed back out to continue their patrol. “Thank you, too, Supernova and Siren!” one of the officers hollered after them, prompting a round of applause from the civilians behind the barriers.

Siren grinned happily and waved at their new fans, “Glad to help!” she called back to them with a chipper voice as she followed their mentor down the street, to a quieter neighborhood. “That was fun,” she admitted, even though she had not gotten the chance to do any real fighting. “Yeah? Well, I’m glad you had fun,” Shadow Angel replied as she stretched her arms above her head, loosening the muscle of her shoulders and back.

Looks like I was right, the two of you make a good team, after all,” she added, glancing back at them to gauge their reactions as she led them down the quiet street. She saw Siren’s gaze shift to Supernova, as if she were trying to judge his reaction before she decided how exactly she felt about it. “You’ll make an even better team once you settle your difference,” she mused, tucking both hands behind her neck and interlacing her fingers, leaning her head back slightly so that she was looking up at the sky.

She appeared completely relaxed to the untrained eye, but despite her apparent nonchalance, she remained alert and vigilant, her senses taking in all their surroundings as they walked. “When we get back to the agency, I’d like you both to tell me a little more about your quirks, so try to think about how you would describe them and the way they work before we get there,” she instructed, deciding to kill two birds with one stone. It would save them some time once they were back at the agency, and it would give them a little exercise in running parallel processes. Hearing no complaints or rebuttals, she nodded her head and continued forward with their patrol.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 12:29 pm 

The sound of cheerful steps on the smooth floor announced the arrival of Siren, as the girl leaned over the hefty villain and lulled him to sleep. As the lullaby worked its magic, it seemed to signify the end of their battle as the last threat had now been voided. Supernova, then turning to face Siren and Shadow Angel, was clearly very proud of his work—as displayed by the satisfied grin on his face. He was so pleased that he'd gotten to show off on his first day of work, that he hadn't so much as raised an eyebrow when Siren swooped in to finish his job. Of course, it was unfortunate if any civilians had gotten hurt during the robbery, but he also felt that they'd handled the situation in an extraordinarily clean manner. In fact, he was so confident that he wouldn't be surprised if there hadn't been any civilians injured at all after their arrival, but perhaps such presumptions were just him being cocky. In any case, he was glad they had been able to resolve the problem. The coordination shown between the three had been impeccable, not to mention the faith that both Siren and Shadow Angel had shown in sending him to fight the remaining villains single-handedly. It had spoken volumes about trust and perhaps spoke, even more, to better, future teamwork.

Supernova practically beamed at the praise from Shadow Angel, though as simply it was. "All in a day's work," he blew it off casually, in a show of nonchalance interlacing his fingers and stretching his arms forward in front of him. It was as if he were trying to seem more modest than he actually was, though in reality he basked in the praise—something a shameless smirk testified to. While they were speaking, Shadow Angel worked to secure the broken door and to restrain the unconscious villains. As the hero then towed the men towards the exit, Supernova followed.

After handing the men over to the police and giving them the rundown, the trio was on their way. But before they could get far, someone from behind raised their voice in thanks, and loud applause was quick to follow. Supernova, more than willing to receive the cheers, swiveled on his feet to walk backward, waving at the crowd and offering a bright, cheeky smile. "No problem!" he called back to the cheering fans, waving for just a moment more before swinging to face forward.

As the voices faded and the three eased into a quiet street, Siren was the first to speak up. She admitted how she'd felt of the adventure, and Nico was quick to offer his own excitement, "-and exhilarating!" he added with a clenched fist. The atmosphere was almost blissful as they walked together, the two sidekicks being elated and excited to have been able to show their talents and do the public good; or at least, that was how he felt. But the mood wasn't long to last, as it dropped back to zero at the next words of the leading hero.

It was as if with a simple statement, she had shocked him back to reality, reawakening the previous discomfort and unleashing a fatal bomb on the blissful adrenaline of their heroic actions. In an instant, he remembered their one-sided feud. At Shadow Angel's words, his gaze instinctively shifted to meet Siren's, but the contact was only held for a moment before he turned away. He had nothing to say to her now; nothing to offer. At this point, he couldn't fault her for anything. How could he, when she'd acted with such heroism? Perhaps his conceptions of her weren't as solid as he'd thought, and perhaps she wasn't such a bad person. Nonetheless, he couldn't shake the feeling, neither was he yet fully convinced.

"Got it," he replied to the hero's last words absently, lifting his head to gaze straight ahead. Her words had nearly flown over his head, but fortunately amidst the distraction of his mind he'd been tuned in to her voice enough to comprehend her words. With a sharp and blazing gaze, he would appear to anyone as determined and focus, and he was—but there were still those thoughts nagging in the back of his mind, causing confusion and disrupt. It was unsettling to say the least, but he would do his best to focus on the matter at hand. He was relieved when the agency building came into sight, so much so that a soft sigh escaped his lips without permission. He had given a description of his quirk enough times to not have to worry so much about what he would say, so despite his lack of inward focus, he was prepared for the mini-interview that was soon to come.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 10:27 am 

The instantaneous shift in the air—from blissful to uncomfortable—was not lost on Shadow Angel, who was attentive to the two sidekicks, despite her apparent nonchalance. Siren, for her part, seemed visibly disappointed by Supernova’s evident discomfort towards her; this feeling was not long lived, though, as it was soon replaced by a hint of annoyance that was only marginally more concealed. Shadow Angel sighed a little to herself, contemplating how she might help these two to solve their differences.

The remainder of the patrol was uneventful and spent in the same rather uncomfortable silence. Supernova seemed relieved when the agency building came into view, meeting the sight with a soft sigh. Siren seemed to pick up on this, too, as her lips pursed a little before she shifted her gaze further away from the other sidekick. This was going to be a challenge. Shadow Angel, however, had never met a challenge yet that she would back down from, so she smirked to herself as they arrived, having made her decision on how she might whip her little sidekicks into shape.

For now, though, she led them through the doors of the agency and up the stairs, back to her office, where she took her seat at her desk. She gestured for the two of them to take their seats as she propped her elbows up on the desk, interlacing her fingers in front of her. “Alright. I have a few things that I want to go over with the two of you, but first, as promised, I want to hear a little more about your quirks,” she began, her eyes shifting between the two of them. “Siren, how about you go first? Tell me anything that you think it relevant or important about how your quirk; a description, how it works, what sorts of things you can learned to do so far, and so on,” she gave her the task before resting her chin on his interlaced fingers, tilting her head a few degrees to the left, as a gesture of curiosity.

Siren took her seat as requested and focused her attention on Shadow Angel rather than the young man who sat in the chair to her right. “Right. So, the name that my ability kind of depends on who you ask; Siren Song, Angelic Voice, and Empathic Voice are all commonly used. Whatever you call it, it is sound manipulation, although I do tend to focus on the vocal component,” she explained, pausing to ensure that what she’d said made sense before she went on.

Essentially, I can create, control, and manipulate sound waves in a variety of ways. Usually, I manipulate them in a way that allows me to manipulate the emotions or desires of others, such as mesmerizing them to prevent them from moving, lulling them to sleep, instilling calm, and so on. I can also change my voice to sound to sound like someone else, or to mimic various sounds, such as a bird’s chirp, a dog’s bark, or even a distant explosion,” she continued her explanation before pausing, as if to decide if she’d missed anything.

Oh, I have tried to use it to create illusions, such as making someone believe that they see something that isn’t there. I can also use it as a form of suggestion to make someone want to agree to something, perform an action, and so on. Both of those usually only work on people with weaker minds or who are open to suggestion,” she explained, “For example, someone very intelligent or who has a lot of mental fortitude will not be affected, or if they are, they will see through it quickly,” she added before falling silent and leaning back in her chair to indicate that she was finished.

Shadow Angel listened carefully to what the young sidekick told her, nodding periodically to indicate her understanding. “I see,” she said thoughtfully when the young woman had finished. “Have you ever tried to use it to support your allies? To rally them or boost morale, for example?” she asked curiously. Siren shook her head, “No, not really. To give them a confidence boost or something if they are afraid, maybe, but nothing more than that,” she admitted. “Hmm. Maybe we can work on that. What about trying to affect your target physically rather than just mentally? Sort of like a buff or debuff in a video game? Giving your allies a boost in power or weakening your enemies?” she queried, trying to get an idea of what the young woman might have tried in the past.

No, the closest thing would be making them stop or sleep, but those are more mental alterations that lead to a physical change,” Siren explained. “Got it. Well, mental is important, because if they believe they are slow or less powerful, they may temporarily be such, but it might be possible to create a physical change, although it would probably take a lot of work,” Shadow Angel explained her thought process. “What about using sound waves to affect the physical world? Like using sound waves to create explosions or manipulating the sound waves so that they take on a physical form, like a barrier?” she asked her final question.

I have tried to create sonic waves, sort of like Present Mic. I can do it, but I haven’t really practiced it that much, so it is harder for me to manage it, and they are probably much less effective,” Siren admitted. “I’ve never thought about trying to manipulate the sound waves into a barrier or anything before, though,” she added with a hand on her chin in thought. “Well, perhaps that is something we can try to work on. It isn’t exactly the same as the way I manipulate energy, but you might be able to apply the same principles that I do to create physical objects,” she told her as she materialized a sword made entirely of purple energy before banishing the object.

Alright, what about you, Supernova? What can you tell me about your ability?” she asked, resuming the same position as she had with Siren, but tilting her head to the right this time. She recalled having read that the young man manipulated energy to create explosions, so she was curious to know exactly how his ability worked. She wondered if he, too, could apply some of the principles she used to his own ability, and if there were any principles he used that she might be able to use. She could create small explosions and blasts with her own ability, but nothing fancy, at least not without expending more energy than she was usually willing to. She hadn’t put a great deal of practice into it because loud and flashy wasn’t really her style, but she had to admit that having a trick up her sleeve to help her in a tough spot against a power type was appealing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:18 pm 

The two sidekicks were led silently through the building and into the office. At the invitation of Shadow Angel, Siren first took a seat, then Nico next to her. It was easy now to distract himself from the tension, as soon after they had taken their spots, the promise of further initiation into the agency hung in the air. But before they could get to that, a briefing of their individual quirks was needed, and Siren was soon asked to step forward.

As the dialogue between the two women indued, the young sidekick listened to the back-and-forth. A question was asked, then an answer, a suggestion, and so on. Hearing the details of the other sidekick's quirks had his interest piqued, he'd hate to admit. The quirk in and of itself probably wouldn't be much without proper use, but fused with Siren's impressive handling and execution, it was a quirk more than worthy of a hero's title. He listened with intent, displaying too much interest than he would have liked if he'd been able to see himself. Leaning forward, elbows propped on knees, his green gaze narrowed thoughtfully. Mimicry, suggestion, manipulation of emotions, even; the possibilities seemed endless. His mind raced back to the robbery before, how Siren had taken action, and subdued the threats with nothing more than a song. Lost in thought, it was his turn to speak before he knew it, and the sudden attention jolted him to reality.

"What? Oh, uh.." he murmured, then went was silent for a moment. He drew in a contemplative breath, a surprised expression now growing thoughtful as he interlaced his fingers behind his head. Leaning up and back, the chair's front legs were lifted as he took his gaze to the ceiling, gently rocking on his feet. "Well, my quirk is called Nova. It's a sort of energy manipulation, I guess. I'm told it works by the manifestation of energy, so basically I'm able to channel and combust--err, manifest energy. But.. whatever--forget all that," he waved a hand dismissively, "Basically I can steal energy and use it to create explosions and fires," he concluded simply, giving a gentle pause before continuing, "Whether I create a fire or an explosion depends on how much energy I put out and for how long. For example, an explosion is a powerful and sudden burst of energy, while a fire is slow-burning and constantly consuming," he explained, "The size and the intensity of the combustions also depend on how much energy is fed into them, so a small and intense flame consumes the same amount as a larger, weaker one, and the same goes for explosions."

Before he went on to explain further, there was a more lengthy, thoughtful pause as he stared at the ceiling, but when he spoke his tone was as relaxed as ever. "I can use my own energy, but the more I use, the weaker I get. So instead, with a touch, I can draw energy from anything with a life force and use it for myself. In a fight, I'll usually try to get close enough to steal my opponent's energy, but I can only draw it for as long as I'm in contact with them," he continued to explain, allowing himself a moment to recall anything he may be missing.

Then with a burst of realization, he rocked forward, the chair's front legs slamming the ground as he righted himself. "Oh! I can also channel energy into almost any object, so if I have an excess I can store it to use later," he began to explain wildly, a hint of excitement visible in his emerald gaze, "The energy holds better depending on the material, so I have these-" unclipping a small, rectangular bar from his belt, he held it between his index and thumb as he brought it up to display, "-to help me out of a rut. And since my quirk works by igniting energy, if I touch it, I can even light the energy inside of it," he demonstrated by igniting the thin bar, which burst into white flames, "and it'll keep burning until the energy is consumed. Of course, if I'm still touching it, I can stop the fire whenever I want," as he spoke this, the flames abruptly vanished, and he gripped the bar in his palm. "For obvious reasons, I've never tried igniting a person's energy, but I'm gonna assume it'd be very... traumatizing."