All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:33 am 

Blog: View Blog (0)

Sinead glanced back at Tanis, a smile on her lips. Though she didn't want to outright agree with Tanis' statement, she didn't find it to be far off.
"All White juries do not have anybody to hold them accountable," Avi said, both his voice and words more objective on the matter. He was very aware of both Tanis' and Sinead's opinions on the matter, but he didn't find either to be productive for their case. "Even just a non-White juror can make a difference in the ruling, though I wouldn't count on a fair trial if we can't get a majority in the jury."
Sinead, knowing her husband was right, returned to the dishes at hand. She was, however, left pleased by the general consensus of the room.
At that, the silence of the room was filled with the single ring of their wall mounted house phone. Sinead had moved to reach for it, before it clicked, and the second ring was heard from the connected phone in Avi's office. Sinead and Avi exchanged a glance.
"Excuse me," Avi said, knowing the number dialed was his working number and not their private home number. Standing and removing the napkin from his lap, Avi disappeared off further into the house
"Warhol," Sinead head him answer, and then moments later the inevitable follow up no, this is he of someone calling asking for Shabwarhal.
Thoughtlessly, Sinead's eyes had followed Avi's exit, and was now lingering at the empty doorway, dishcloth still in hand.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:26 pm 

This body is a vessel for my mayhem and as long as I can perform bafoonery it doesn’t matter if this stomach is flat or not

Tanis really wasn’t good at al that serious talk, she was counting on Avi for stuff like that, so she was a little relieved when the phone started ringing and Avi went to get it. She didn’t want to think about her trial at all, yet Avi seemed absolutely hellbent on getting her to think and make decisions that she knew nothing about. It was exhausting.
Silence filled the kitchen once more, only broken by the soft sound of Avi’s voice in his office, his voice muffed enough to make it impossible to pick up what he was actually talking about.
“He’s a popular guy today, huh?” She asked, mostly just to have something to talk about and to distract herself with.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:15 am 

Sinead didn't immediately respond to Tanis' comment, still trying to follow along the conversation cross the house. When Avi foiled that by closing the office door with a how did you get this number, Sinead finally sighed and returned to her undertaking.
"Saturdays tend to be like this, yeah," she just answered, absentmindedly as she tossed the dishtowel aside on the counter. Her movements weren't harsh but she was almost certain she could tell where this morning was heading. "People arrested Friday evening's dont get to call a lawyer before the morning."
Not wanting Tanis to worry, Sinead sent her a smile.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:20 pm 

This body is a vessel for my mayhem and as long as I can perform bafoonery it doesn’t matter if this stomach is flat or not

Tanis hummed at that, knowing all about calling her lawyer on a Saturday, hoping against hope that he would be able to help. She still wasn’t sure how much he was going to be able to help her, but she still appreciated every single thing Avi was doing for her.
“He’s a good man,” she stated, fully able to pick up on the fact that Sinead seemed uneasy about the entire thing. She didn’t know if her comments were in any way soothing or calming, she had never reall been good at comforting people, but she felt that she had to at least give it a try. “You are very lucky. Not a lot of men are like him.”

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:41 am 

"I know," Sinead answered, the response soft and vaguely directed at all three of Tanis' comments. The fact that Tanis noticed too almost made Sinead choke up with pride, yet again feeling beyond blessed to have Avi in her life. Yet again, she spoke without specifying what she was answering. "You don't know half of it."
She didn't allow either of them to linger on her comment, for now wishing to keep some parts of her marriage private. Sinead was thrilled about Tanis' presence and the work Avi was doing for her, but Sinead had to actively remind herself that the woman in front of her was still practically a stranger.
As she returned to the kitchen table to clear some of the plates. Her smile was actively brighter now, needing to keep herself from reminiscing. "Are you finished? I doubt he'll come back to finish his."
Right enough, Avi's door once again opened, and Sinead heard him move to their bedroom.
"Tanis, I'm sorry I -" his words broke off as he continued speaking into their closet, rummaging through hanged shirts. "- It shouldn't take long, I just need to present at the station as his lawyer -"

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:09 pm 

“I’m all done,” Tanis responded, having only just barely managed to finish her sentence, before Avi burst back into the kitchen, looking more frazzled than Tanis believed that she had ever seen him before. She only vaguely caught what he was talking about, but she really thought that it was admirable that Avi was rushing out on his day off to help someone, something she had been on the receiving end of before, so she couldn’t really be angry about it.
“It’s alright. You just take your time,” she stated, not sure why she would even say that. She didn’t want to impose on Sinead after all, but it didn’t seem to register to Avi that she might be any kind of inconvenience.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:41 pm 

Avi, not being in any position to make the call, looked over at Sinead for a response. He was still buttoning up his freshly donned shirt, though all he had done was to put it on on top of his cotton shirt.
Sinead in turn looked surprised to even be involved, and, startled, just barely formed an, "It's no problem at all, she can stay for as long as you need."
It only took a fraction of a second for her to fully process her own words. To that, she turned towards Tanis, seemingly embarrassed about having talked about Tanis in third person. Wanting to take a moment to reassure her, Sinead added a softer, "You're not imposing, love."
Avi didn't seem to hear past no problem, before he once again ducked out of the kitchen in search for a briefcase. When he reappeared, he had also put on a suit jacket.
"I'll be back as soon as I can. I apologize, I love you." The ambiguity of rushed phrasing of Avi's goodbye made Sinead smile, but before she got a change to reply, Avi had already disappeared from the doorway and, moments later, excited through their front door.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:44 pm 

It was only when Avi actually left the house that Tanis realised what she had just agreed to. Sure, Sinead seemed like a nice woman and Tanis had enjoyed spending time with her in the past, yet they had never spent this much time together before and that worried Tanis.
She felt like she had to say something, anything really, but kept coming up short. She really had no idea how to even start a conversation with Sinead and she felt terrible about that.
She had half a mind to ask Sinead if she needed any help in the kitchen, but she quickly realised that she was all but done, so it seemed completely pointless.
“I hope it isn’t anything too serious.”

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:08 am 

Sinead had been deep in her own thoughts when Tanis’ spoke; the sudden end to the silence made Sinead's eyes dart back to the woman still seated where both Avi and herself had left her.
"It usually isn't," Sinead answered, hoping that to be of comfort in case Tanis sat worrying. "Avi's not a criminal law attorney, so he usually refers big ticket items to another pro bono friend of his."
Though her words had left Sinead with a small, polite smile, silence once again fell around her. She didn't mind Tanis stay, but mentally, she was reviewing the day she had planned for herself, and she was trying to decide which of those could be of some interest to Tanis.
"How are you feeling, Tanis? You came directly from work, didn’t you?" she instead asked, almost suddenly. Her eyes once again refocused on their guest, and though her smile disappeared in favor for a look of worry, her expression became more genuine overall. "Do you want to use our spare bedroom? Now that you have some time on your hands?"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:23 pm 

Tanis felt a little sheepish about the offer, figuring that it meant that she probably looked tired. Sure, she was tired, but she didn’t just want to sleep away while Sinead was busy doing housework. She felt like she imposed enough, even if Sinead kept saying that she didn’t.
“Thanks for the offer, but I’m good. I’m used to just keep going,” she stated with a kind smile, softly trailing an ore in the wood of the table with her finger, not looking directly at Sinead.
“Feel free to put men to work though. Anything you need done, I will gladly help”

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:36 pm 

Sinead lingered for a moment at the counter before, almost gingerly, joining Tanis at the table. Part of her realized her distance was only putting an awkwardness into their conversation, but the fact that Tanis' didn't meet her eye was strangely intimidating.
Once having taken the seat across from Tanis, which Avi had recently left empty, Sinead couldn't help but smile, softly and almost impulsively.
"It's Saturday morning, Tanis, I don't intend on putting either of us to work." Sinead said, with a careful joke, as she leaned forward to try and catch Tanis' line of sight. She paused for a moment, allowing herself to look at the other woman with a smile still on her lips. "Do you want another cup of coffee, and we can figure out what we want to do with our day?"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:31 am 

Tanis knew that neither Sinead nor Avi thought that she owed them anything, yet Tanis knew that she would never be able to repay them for their great kindness and she wanted to do anything she could to at least give something back. It was all about getting to do small things for them and she hoped that they would get to do that at least.
“Coffee sounds great.”

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:26 pm 

Seeming pleased, Sinead once again stood from her seat, to grab the coffee kettle still on the stove top. Upon returning, she brought with her two new coffee cups, placing one in front of Tanis. Without any further confirmation, she poured Tanis her cup.
"You didn't take cream or sugar, did you?"
The question, though intended polite, was barely more than rhetorical; Sinead had seated herself far before Tanis got a chance to object having been paying enough attention to the woman in front of her to notice how she took her coffee.
Once back at her seat, Sinead poured herself a cup too. "My dear, how do you feel about gardening?"
She only looked back up at Tanis once having finished her question, a shadow of a smile on her lips.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:50 pm 

Tanis nodded at the question as he wrapped her fingers around the cup, needing something to distract her own hands with. She felt a little nervous in being alone with Sinead, even if she knew that she had no reason to be.
“Thank you,” she stated, taking a sip from her coffee, keeping her grip slightly too tight on her cup but she hoped that the other woman wouldn’t be able to read her nerves.
“I haven’t done it much, but I am a quick learner and I am good with my hands,” she stated, jumping at any chance to get to give back to Sinead and Avi even a little.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:31 am 

Knowing that they weren’t in any rush, Sinead had allowed them to linger over their second cup of coffee. Though Avi always promised to be quick, Sinead knew her husband well enough to know he would never rush a meeting with a person in need of his help – in the bigger picture, Tanis’ situation wasn’t as urgent.
The two women had eventually moved out to their garden. Their garden split into their front lawn and their back yard, connected on the side of the house by a narrow path skirted with a flowerbed; all of which was enclosed by a white picket fence. Sinead could laugh at the spectacle of it all.
“You can leave the top branches,” she said, as she once again joined Tanis by the further most flowerbed where they had planted a row of young bushes last summer. Delicately, Sinead adjusted her dress in order to kneel onto her gardening apron. With a smile, she leaned in as if to share a secret. “I’m hoping it will grow a bit taller; these gardens are like fishbowls.”

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:39 pm 

Tanis had originally agreed to gardening because it seemed like a good way to get Sinead on a bit of a distance. Apparently though, that had been a bad plan, seeing as Sinead insisted on getting close to her and explain how she wanted her garden done.
It made perfect sense, yet Tanis was still caught off guard by it all and didn’t quite know how to handle that specific kind of intimacy. It seemed too domestic somehow and Tanis was hit by the fact they she barely even knew one another.
“Alright,” she stated in a soft voice, as she continued the shearing she had started on.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:57 pm 

Sinead's eyes lingered upon Tanis, uncertain how to proceed. It was almost painfully obvious that Tanis held back around Sinead, but Sinead struggled with hoe to interpret that. She couldn't decide if it was intimidation or disinterest; either way, it made her heart sink.
Though her lips parted to speak, her eyes did eventually leave Tanis' profile. Purposeless, Sinead ran her palm across the flower bed dirt, picking away any fallen leaves or twigs as she came across them.
"Tell me about yourself, Tanis." Though Sinead's voice was as soft as ever, there was a sudden, decisive boldness to her words. She found she had had little success asking, and wanted to try a different approach; yet, when she looked back at Tanis, there was a girlish tentativeness about her. "How are you holding up?"

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:21 pm 

Tanis never quite knew what to say when prompted to speak about herself, especially not to someone like Sinead. She knew that it probably was silly to be this intimidated by the other woman, yet she still couldn’t help but feel that she had to make a good impression on the other woman.
“Other than me just waiting for when I am going to jail?” She stated, knowing that that probably was a little callous, but she knew that it was true. It was all just a question of how long she was going to have to spend in jail.
“What do you want to know?”

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:48 am 

Sinead exhaled a small, laughing sound at that. By the tone of Tanis' voice, Sinead wasn't actually sure it had been intended as a joke. "Yeah, other than that," she agreed, a smile making its way to her lips.
By now, Sinead wasn't doing much gardening. Her hands were aimlessly picking at the flowers and bushes in front of her, only rarely picking off a dying leaf. Sinead knew exactly what question she wanted to ask Tanis, yet felt like it was too bold to open with it.
"You involve yourself with a lot of activism, don't you?" she instead asked, finding that that would be an easier starting point. Sinead once again looked at the young woman beside her, feeling like she already knew the answer. "Do you organize it, too?"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:33 pm 

“Yes, I show up at protests whenever I can,” Tanis stated as she kept up with the work that Sinead had introduced her to. It was easier to talk with Sinead while she was doing something with her hands, finding the other woman less intimidating if she didn’t have to look directly at her.
“I don’t organise a lot. I can barely keep myself organised, but I do help out whenever anyone needs it,” she elaborated, feeling that that wasn’t actually the question that Sinead wanted to ask, but she didn’t know how to go about allowing her to ask what she actually wanted.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next