All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 289 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:10 pm 

Blog: View Blog (0)

Harry's grin softened into a smile, feeling pleasantly reassured by the fact that Draco had laughed. Whether or not Draco had found it funny was hard to read, but it eased some of the tension knowing it at least hadn't been poorly received.
"Oh, I'm starting out poorly then," he said and though his voice was still airy and humoured, it no longer was a joke.
Harry's eyes had drifted from Draco down the hall at the sound of steps; The sight of the approaching Narcissa Malfoy made Harry instinctively straighten his posture once more.
Despite her proximity and the more professionally pleasant smile that replaced his joking smile, Harry did turn towards Mrs. Malfoy and by that, ever slightly closer to Draco.
Harry barely tipped his head towards Draco in a quick, easy glance. Out of the corner of his mouth he finished his confession, a shadow of a grin om his lips. "I don't own a nice suit, but please don't tell your parents that."

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:35 pm 

This body is a vessel for my mayhem and as long as I can perform bafoonery it doesn’t matter if this stomach is flat or not

Draco was about to make another comment when he was cut off by his mum joining him and Harry. He knew that he would need to be on his best behaviour around his mum, even if he wasn’t keen on pleasing his father in any way, shape or form.
“You must be mr. Potter, Lucius has told me all about you,” Narcissa said as she spotted the young man talking with her son. She offered her hand for Harry to shake, figuring that it was necessary for them to get properly introduced. “He will join us in a second. I trust that Draco has been a good host so far.”
Draco wanted to roll his eyes at that but managed to refrain from doing so. He knew that his mum meant well, so he wasn’t about to take offence. “I have tried.”

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:57 am 

Having seen Narcissa Malfoy approaching, Harry was in a much better state to offer her a greeting much less startled than the one he had offered Draco. Years of important handshakes suddenly shined through as he went to shake her hand, he himself taking the last step towards it. "Pleasure finally meeting you, Mrs. Malfoy."
Letting go of her hand, Harry didn't need a clearer cue than that the tone had shifted. Having it been him and Draco alone, Harry could almost forget this was a business meeting; Narcissa's presence and the announced arrival of Lucius Malfoy made it very clear.
"He has been very gracious," he confirmed with a polite smile, feeling like he owed Draco as much though his eyes didn't leave his mother. In the back of his mind.m Harry was coming to terms with the fact that the easy conversation in the Manor entryway was bound to be the last time he felt comfortable, but his smile didn't waver. "So was your driver."

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:17 pm 

This body is a vessel for my mayhem and as long as I can perform bafoonery it doesn’t matter if this stomach is flat or not

Draco wasn’t a stranger to sudden tonal shifts but it did surprise him to see that Harry seemed to excel at those as well. Or, at least that he seemed to understand that there was a difference in talking with Draco on his own and when his mum was present. It was going to take a while for Draco to get used to be casual around Harry and he wasn’t even sure if he wanted to.
It was a bloody mess.
“Let’s go to the dining room. Lunch will be ready any second now,” Narcissa announced, turning around to lead the way to the dining room, purposefully leaving her son behind with their houseguest.
Draco trotted after his mum, making sure that Harry was following along as well, but no longer attempting to make conversation. He refused to give his father the pleasure of seeing them get a long.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:59 pm 

Harry realised he hadn't been wrong in judging that the tone was bound to change. He wasn't able to place whether or not Draco's sudden change of heart had come due to his mothers presence or due to Harry's own shift, but, as they moved through the house, Harry missed what little support Draco had offered.
As they entered the dining room, Harry didn't attempt to make any small talk; something which proved redundant, as, only moments after, Lucius Malfoy joined them. Malfoy had appeared through a secondary door with such timeliness that Harry couldn't help but feel humoured by the stage show of it all. That left Harry with a genuine smile to match Malfoy's as he approached him.
"Lieutenant," Lucius Malfoy greeted once at a civil distance, reaching for Harry's hand. Harry met it and the two men exchanged a firm yet, to Harry, eerily cheerful handshake.
In his free hand, Lucius carried a brown paper folder which made Harry's smile falter, seeing it being raised out of the corner of his eye. With an audible smack, Lucius finished the handshake by slapping Harry's left upper arm with the folder. "It's very good to see you, Potter, I'm very glad you could join us."
Lucius spoke with such a familiarity that it made Harry uneasy, uncertain if they had ever exchanged this many words in private. But.m then again, they had both Narcissa and Draco Malfoy as their audience. Politely, Harry returned the smile. "Likewise, sir, thank you for having me."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:00 pm 

It wasn’t difficult to see through his father’s charade, especially considering that Draco knew that it was entirely for his and Harry’s benefit. Draco knew that there was no way that his father had personally had a lot to do with someone like Harry, but because he had talked him into this ruse, they now had to pretend to be best buds.
It made Draco sick to his stomach and this little lunch couldn’t be over fast enough in his opinion. He still wasn’t entirely sure why he was even agreeing to this, seeing as he had absolutely nothing to gain by it, yet he knew that there was no way of backing out now.
“Don’t scare him away already father. This is crazy enough as it is,” Draco stated, fairly certain that he was not going to become popular for that comment, but he absolutely refuse to look at is father pretend that this was in any way normal for even as much as a second longer.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:42 pm 

Both men turned to look at Draco when he spoke, each sporting a remarkably different expression. While Harry looked at Draco with growing discomfort, almost appearing embarrassed having gotten caught playing along, Lucius did little to hide his annoyance.
He, however, choose not to address it directly.
"You're making assumptions, Draco. I spent plenty of time with Potter during my early campaigning, if I was to scare him off I would have done so years ago."
Lucius' eyes had returned onto Harry, and his tone had yet again become one of long friendships and inside jokes. He smiled at Harry, in a way that Harry immediately knew there was no backing out. "I got him his job; he owes me a favour."
At that, Harry didn't know what else to do but smile. A silence grew, finding that the conversation had come to a natural pause. While it only helped to unsettle Harry, Lucius didn't seem to mind.
"Please, Potter, take a seat," he warmly urged Harry, as he himself made the way around the table to sot across from him. "Draco, if you would join me by my side."

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:08 pm 

Draco knew better than to comment on what his father had to say. He had no idea what kind of relationship Lucius and Harry had, but he sincerely doubted that it was even remotely as close as his father insinuated. He had only briefly interacted with Harry, but he seemed way too uncomfortable in the manor to be in any way comfortable around Lucius Malfoy.
“Sure father,” Draco stated, knowing better than to fight him on it. He sent his mother one suffering look, before taking the seat next to his father. He knew that there was nothing Narcissa could do, as she sat down next to Harry.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:28 pm 

The tension was so evident in Draco's interactions with his father that it even made Harry hesitate before taking his assigned seat. Lucius, who noticed, further urged him with a polite yet precise gesture towards the chair.
Awkwardly, Harry sat, unable to keep his eyes off the paper folder Lucius had laid on the table. Even upside down, Harry could tell it had been labeled Potter with a fine, printed label. Just the thought of it made Harry sick to his stomach with a justified worry, even as he shifted in the chair and yet again met Lucius' smile with one of his own.
"Right," Lucius said upon joining them at the table. "Let us just get on with it."
Harry was aware of the sound of movement and dishware somewhere behind a door to their left, guessing by the context and invitation that there was help waiting to serve them lunch. It was, however, hard to ignore how Lucius had shamelessly draped the, now opened, folder across his own plate, clearly having no intention of joining them himself.
Lucius hummed, filling the dead silence of the room. The folder opened up onto a printed paper with a list, and when Lucius picked it up, Harry nauseatingly realized that the file contained well over 30 pages.
Harry straightened his posture, raising his eyes to Lucius' before the other had looked up from the paper.
When Lucius inevitably looked over the paper to Harry, and saw that he was already meeting his eye with a polite smile, Lucius seemed pleased.
Reading off of the bullet point list in his hand, Lucius started off unabashedly. "Harry James Potter, 26. Born July 31st 1980 to Captain James Potter and Corporal Lily Potter. Corporal Potter passed away in service in '83 and you Captain father died attempting to break up a physical altercation two years later. Orphan at age 5."
As if his words had been nothing more than black ink on paper, Lucius leaned back to, behind Draco's back, wave on at the butler to hurry the serving of lunch.
When he once again resettled himself, Lucius continued, eyes to the paper as if this was the first time he was reading it. "Subsequently fostered by your maternal aunt and her family in their home in Surrey."
Harry just sat there meeting Lucius' eye once he finally looked up. Harry just smiled, knowing well enough that Lucius wasn't inviting him to speak. Correctly enough, Lucius once again looked down to continue his exposition.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:15 pm 

The drama of it all exhausted Draco. He had no idea what the ****ing folder contained, nor why his father had invited Harry for lunch, when he so clearly wasn’t going to be joining them himself. It made Draco feel uncomfortable, not just for himself, but mostly for Harry.
His discomfort did not disappear when his father started reading out loud, instead it turned into downright nausea. He couldn’t, or he definitely could actually, believe that his father would share such intimate details about a stranger’s life to his wife and his son, without having asked the person first. At least, Draco assumed that Lucius had not asked Harry before reading all of that out loud; and judging by Harry’s facial expression, he was definitely right.
It was, however, not the time to speak out against his father, no matter how much he wanted to punch him in the face. Instead, Draco attempting to make eye contact with Harry, wanting to communicate to him that this wasn’t something his father had let him in on before and that it made him uncomfortable too. He wasn’t really sure how to convey that, but he hoped that at least some of it came across.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:22 pm 

"Attended the Duke of York’s Royal Military School in Kent with a full scholarship, to the credit of your Captain and Corporal parents,” Lucius carried on, unbothered by the tension in the room. “Graduated in ’98 with mediocre results. Enlisted in the British Army on your 18th birthday, a month after graduating.”
Lucius had once again looked up at Harry, who, in turn, had managed to gather himself a bit.
Out of the corner of his eye he could tell Draco was looking at him, but, once having come to terms with the proceedings of it all, Harry figured he could suck it up and didn’t waver when Lucius smiled. After all, Lucius wasn’t telling him anything he didn’t know.
“Completed your officers training at RMA Sandhurst, Berkshire in 99’, and the Artillery training in the RSA at Larkhill the following year. Both completed with excellency.”
Lucius once again came up for air when a served had approached the table with the salad, seeming to care more about the distraction of the clattering china than with sharing Harry’s personal information.
Harry himself, was beyond caring. He leaned back in his chair to allow for the server to place the dish, mouthing a thank you as they once again disappeared.
When the room once again settled, Lucius continued, starting what seemed like a new paragraph in Harrys’ life. “Deployed to Afghanistan December 2001.”
As soon as Harry heard that, his attention was switched off. Without waiting for further invitation, he helped himself to the salad, looking at Lucius but not fully hearing him speak. He knew, in summary, that he was telling the table about how he was granted his Lieutenant rank in 2002, before being deployed again later that same year. Harry could also, by the lengthy sentences escaping Lucius, tell he had gone through some of the merits that warranted the promotion.
“Injured in combat February 30th 2003. Returned to Britain March 3rd after a two day stay at Army Hospital in Kandahar .”
Out of the stack of papers beneath the initial page he had been reading from, Lucius drew forth another printed page. Without hesitation or looking up, Lucius offered Draco said copy of Harry’s Army medical record, which had accompanied Harry back to the UK.
Seeing the exchange of paper, Harry once again tensed up. The first paper, Harry couldn’t recognize, but as Lucius picked out a second and third, Harry’s heart dropped.
“Your left leg was amputated from the knee down the morning of March 4th,” Lucius stated, offering Draco not only a doctors reasoning for the procedure, but also a tabloid news paper article dated March 5th 2003. Harry knew without offering it a second glance that it had been the one titled UK SOLDIER SAVES AFGHAN CHILD, LOOSES LEG. “Isn’t that right, Potter?”
“Yes, sir,” was all Harry could say.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:57 pm 

Draco felt nauseated.
It wasn’t even his life that was being shared at the lunch table like that, but he couldn’t help but feel bad for Harry to have his life put on display like that. He knew that he would absolutely loathe it if his father had decided to put him on display like that, so he just had to hope that that wasn’t going to be the case.
“Father,” Draco said, his tone too sharp for the conditions of their little get together, but he wanted to cut through the bullshit.
“As impressive as lieutenant Potter’s resume is, is there any reason, whatsoever, that you have decided to share it at lunch?”

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:12 pm 

Only then did Harry look at Draco, his expression doing poor work of hiding his surprise. While Harry had been uncomfortable over the course of the exchange, he hadn't really considered that Draco might have been; It felt even more unlikely that Draco had been uncomfortable enough to address it. In the pit of his stomach, Harry appreciated the gesture.
"I am introducing you," Lucius answered, almost overbearingly soft. To him, that had been made painfully obvious.
He didn't look up at his son, and only continued to look his papers over. He pushed the list aside onto the open cover of the folder, glancing over the document backing up his narration. When he once again spoke, it was clear that he was finished addressing Draco. "You received a George's cross for that."
At that, Lucius looked up at Harry. Harry, in turn, finally dragged his eyes off of Draco. "Yes."
"For acts of the greatest heroism in circumstance of extreme danger," Lucius quoted.
Harry didn't reply.
Silence settled among them, and it was eventually Lucius who continued. After several moments of scrutiny, he seemed to realise Harry had no intention of agreeing with that, and carried on. "You were out of work after that. Two years. You were then given the clear from both your physician and army psychologist in December 2005 -"
Once again, Lucius picked out two papers, offering them to Draco. One was the doctor's note stating Harry had no physical issues except for the, obvious, lack of his left leg. The psychologist's equally served as a proof of no lasting trauma from his deployments or accident. "- And then in January, we were able to collaborate with you in finding a position where your experience wasn't wasted."
Harry shifted in his chair at that, following the paper as it exchanged hands. Up until now, Lucius' research had been almost clinically objective, but Harry remembered well that the aforementioned dates had been blurred; Harry had already been contacted by Lucius' campaign office months before he got his health cleared.
Lucius was looking at Harry, a relaxed smile on his lips. "You've been working as a constable of the Elgin police department ever since."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:45 am 

Reluctantly, Draco accepted the piece of paper his father was handing him, but he pointedly refused to look at it. Even if this was a play and he and Harry were supposed to have been dating for some time, Draco still refused to get his information from papers his father was handing him. He figured that he would be able to get things through conversations with Harry instead, even if he didn’t know how much they were going to be able to talking.
Having found that his objections made no difference in what his father had to say, Draco kept his tongue, not wanting to make a big scene.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:53 am 

Harry shifted in his chair, straightening his posture ever so slightly. Lucius had effectively summarized his life in bullet points, and Harry was almost surprised to find that Lucius hadn't included the phone calls Harry had had with his assistants the days leading up to this lunch.
Over the course of the conversational pause, Lucius had been looking at Harry with a small smile, hands folded on top of the folder.
Just as Harry had parted his lips to fill the silence, Lucius once again straightened his posture to once again look at the papers in front of him. The realisation that there was more to come made the color drain from Harry's face as he immediately closed his mouth. Up until this point, he had known what came next, and suddenly having to blindly sit through this made him nauseous.
"You inherited stock in your grandfather's company," Lucius stated, flipping over to a new, typed list, and what Harry could only assume was a bank statement. "12%. That amounts to some passive income, wouldn't you say, Potter?"
With that Lucius finally made Harry blush. He clenched his jaw, not willing to respond.
Lucius just smiled back at him, clearly not finding it to be cause for embarrassment. "We can see that income didn't last long on your accounts, only long enough for it to be automatically transferred."
When neither of them filled the silence, Lucius eventually spoke. "You've been donating that income to the Childhood Trust since your 18th birthday -" he paused "- Do you know how much that's amounted to?"
Harry didn't answer, but this time, he could tell Lucius wasn't going to continue. With his face still burning hot and flushed, Harry let out a reluctant but genuine: "No, sir."
"I can tell you," Lucius answered, easily and helpful. This time, he offered Harry the printed bank statement. "This is a print out from when we last employed you. By then, you had donated just shy of 800 thousand pounds. I expect you to have given away close to a million pounds by now."
Yet again, that information ment nothing to Harry, though he could see Lucius expected some reaction. Not knowing was else to do, Harry forced a smile back onto his lips.
Seemingly pleased with that, Lucius, too, smiled. His smile was wide and toothy, and once again he leaned forwards over the table. "That's quite extraordinary. Don't you think, Draco?"

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:01 pm 

While Draco did think that it was rather impressive to give such large quantities of money to charity, there was no way in hell that he was going to give his father the satisfaction. He thought that this was a terrible idea and he did not want to encourage the crazy that was going on in the manor.
“Spectacular,” Draco stated, his tone dry and clearly not impressed. He tried to catch his mother’s eyes, wanting to plead her to make him stop, but his mother ignored him, clearly in on it with his father and he absolutely loathed it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:23 am 

Harry was blushing in a way he hadn’t done in years. Mixed in with the embarrassment there was an almost surprised anger, frustrated with how this conversation had ended. Up until a certain point, Lucius hadn’t said anything that wasn’t public knowledge, given you knew where to look; that border had been crossed some time ago. Yet, above all of his frustration, Harry felt helpless.
The dryness of Draco’s voice, however, hit Harry harder than expected, making him clench his jaw. Draco, who had otherwise been completely civil to Harry, was evidently growing as tired of Luicus’ bragging as Harry was, and, to Harry, that eventually reflected back on him. It made his stomach turn.
Lucius, on the other hand, either didn’t notice or didn’t care about the sarcasm in his son’s answer. “It is. Remarkable.”
Silence fell around the table and the kitchen staff took that as an opportunity to clear the salads. Their sudden presence startled Harry, forcing him to face the fact that this was an actual lunch and not some macabre play. It was only when they found themselves staring down upon the fish course that Lucius continued.
“And this is my son, Draco.” His voice was diluted of its phony excitement, as he finally turned towards his son. He reached out to place a hand on the back rest of Draco’s, but the gesture was so out of place for Lucius’ character that, to Harry, to came across as threatening. He picked a blonde hair off the nape of Draco’s shirt. “He’s been studying medicine in Paris these last few years, but I am pleased to have him back this semester.”

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:15 pm 

“Four years, darling,” Narcissa said, speaking up for the first time since their little lunch had started. She wasn’t usually one to speak against her husband, not to his face at least, but she felt like that was a fairly significant mistake to make and one that was rather important to correct. “He’s been studying in Paris for four years, my love.”
Draco had been about to speak out about the inaccuracies himself, when his mother beat him to it. Even if it was no longer truly a surprise, it could still baffle Draco truly how little his father knew about him; especially all the research that had gone into a proper background check on Harry.
“Also, I am not back for the semester,” Draco interjected, feeling that that was another rather grave mistake his father had made. “I have finished my degrees and I am going into general practice. I am a doctor now, not just a student.”

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:07 pm 

It was an absolute circus. Harry had sat through one obscenity after another, and yet, the simple fact that Lucius had gotten two out of two facts about his own son wrong was almost beyond comprehension. Harry desperately wanted to laugh.
Lucius himself didn't seem as embarrassed as Harry had expected him to be; in fact, he had just frowned, looking like he was trying to do the math behind his wife's corrections. His eyes remained unfocused, still looking at something hovering just behind Draco.
When the silence became too painful to bear, Harry eventually interjected.
"Congratulations on that," he said, his voice sounding uncertain with lack of use. The tension in his shoulders had caused Harry's voice to crack, and, seemingly relaxed by that, the first genuine smile of the lunch ghosted across Harry's features. "That's very exciting."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:15 pm 

Even if Draco probably should be used to his father’s temper by now, there was no denying that the icy glare he was getting from Lucius caused something unpleasant to stir in his stomach. He knew that his father was unhappy and he feared that that would have ugly consequences for him.
Luckily, Harry managed to change the subject away from Lucius’ missteps and Draco jumped at the chance to talk about literally anything else.
“Thank you, it’s been a lot of hard work, but definitely worth it,” he said with a soft smile, turning his attention fully to Harry and ignoring his father who sat next to him. “Good news are also that you always will have a doctor present.”

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 289 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next