All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wargaming
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:33 pm 

PLaying SQUAD with TASQ

Medals: 6
Longest RP (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) Most Helpful Member (1)
Blog: View Blog (8)

I enjoy wargaming about as much as I enjoy role playing (Collaboratively Writing Fiction). In fact, it is my opinion, which is shared by many others in military communities, that wargaming is merely an extension of Role Playing. When you play a war game, don't you take on the persona of the unit commander controlling the subordinate units you are responsible for? Rhetorically speaking, war gaming is indeed a form of Roleplaying and I would love to meet someone willing to do both here.

Since we have a dice mod available here, I am considering coming up with rules based on war games I've played over the past four decades and incorporating a war game into a role play. I might be more enthusiastic about this experiment if I knew there were more people willing to try this venture with me. Who's interested? Who's warm to the idea? Who's jumping in with both feet yelling, "Gunther, you're brilliant! this is a fantastic idea!"

When I design a war game, I look at the basic maneuver unit. I like to define it based on its echelon and what purpose it serves on a battlefield. Taking into consideration tech level and which era the gamers are using to battle over helps. It would be nice to come up with a generic ruleset that could cover the gamut of Ancient Times to Speculative sci-fi battles. I could do it with Die Role Modifiers (DRMs). This way, you may be able to see what a battle would look like between a 13th century Midievel army v. a 21st century modern armored behemoth. Determining values for the DRMs would be tricky. I'd have to put some thought into this. It would be easier to come up with a ruleset applicable to comparable force on force situations.

For Shits and Giggles (S&Gs), lets say we use a Battalions/Squadrons and Regiments/Brigade as basic maneuver elements with a Battalion/Squadron being defined by a unit composed of 500 to 800 soldiers and a Regiment/Brigade being defined as a unit consisting of1200 to 4000 soldiers.

Next I would need to know the following and come up with factors to represent the unit's capabilities during a fight.
1. Range of weapon systems
2. Attacking Power
3. Defending Power
4. Movement/speed
5. Morale or elan

And answer additional questions like...
1. Is the unit fixed (defense) or Mobile (attack)?
2. How quickly can a unit switch from fixed to mobile?
3. What communications systems are available in order to employ Combat Support Assets?
4. How would logistics or the lack of Logistical support affect a unit?
5. Is the implementation of Logistics necessary for a wargame?

I know some have differing opinions on logistics. Some say, that the tactics themselves are the meat of a wargame and worrying whether a unit runs out of ammunition or fuel is irrelevant; just gets in the way of the gaming. The other side of that coin is, often times how a unit supports itself will determine what strategical employment of their assets they use. Modern Armies for example rely on taking and securing major road networks in order to establish a Main Supply Route (MSR). In order to maintain an MSR, you must employ your subordinate units in a manner that defends or protects that MSR. The Logistics can in some manner directly influence how a battle is fought. If your supply train is eliminated or your unit is shut off from its MSR, its ability to sustain a fight will diminish. In time, its sustainment ability will be eliminated and the unit will be forced to surrender.

but, I'm getting into the weeds. Who is with me in this project and what ideas do you have?

ImageImage

My Characters
My Writing Styles
Galileo Corporation
Modern Wargaming Rules
Bakushima; Fantasy Feudal Japan

Best Days for RPing
Fri - Sun

Attitude | +
"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude to me is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than success, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, gift, or skill. It will make or break a company...a church...a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past...we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our attitudes. "
~ Charles Swindoll

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
 Post subject: Re: Wargaming
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:40 pm 

limits are a mindset

Subscriber

Medals: 2
Longest RP (1) Adaptive (1)
Blog: View Blog (1)

I'm not so sure if you mean 'computer gaming' when you mentioned 'war games', or board games, but if that's what you meant then I enjoy wargames a lot [computer]. It's mostly what I play and I'm very good with tactics and strats. The only thing is that I never used the dice before so I wouldn't know how to do it.

But this can be very fun and exciting. Hope you find the right team and good luck! :D

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:43 pm 

PLaying SQUAD with TASQ

There are no war games in computer format even closely related to what I am talking about.

ImageImage

My Characters
My Writing Styles
Galileo Corporation
Modern Wargaming Rules

Best Days for RPing
Fri - Sun

Attitude | +
"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude to me is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than success, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, gift, or skill. It will make or break a company...a church...a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past...we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our attitudes. "
~ Charles Swindoll

Post subject: Modern Combat Rules
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:24 am 

PLaying SQUAD with TASQ

Modern War Game Resolution System
For use with Role Play
Dice Roll Modifiers

This war game system seeks to utilize a system created by Avalon Hill (AH) board games, currently owned by Wizards of the Coast LLC, a subsidiary of Hasbro Games. AH specialized in historical board war games in the late 1970s and 1980s. Their Squad Leader gaming system focused on combat at the platoon/company level. Each 3/8" or 1/2" cardboard counter represented either a rifle squad, support weapon or armored fighting vehicle (AFV). This rule set will replicate the Infantry Fire Table and its inherent DRMs to determine the results of squad(s) versus squad(s) combat. The effects of leadership, terrain and certain battlefield conditions will have an effect on outcome.

Each rifle squad will have an inherent Firepower (F) and a Morale Factor (MF). I will identify several AFVs and support vehicles to be used with the option of adding more as the opportunity presents itself. Each vehicle will have specific modifiers assigned to it in determine combat resolution.

Infantry Firepower (F)
NATO 7-10 men /w LMG, 5.56mm Rifle/Carbine & GL - 4
NATO 7- 10 men /w LMG, 7.62mm Rifle & GL - 6
NATO 11-15 men /w LMG, 5.56mm Rifle/Carbine & GL - 6
NATO 11-15 men /w LMG, 7.62mm Rifle/Carbine & GL - 8
ISTH /w LMG, 7.62mm Rifle & RPG - 6

GPMG (7.62mm) - 4 [<600m] or 2 [600m - 1200m]
HMG (12.7mm/.50 cal) - 6 [<800m] or 3 [800m - 1600m]

Infantry & Armor defensive Conditions
Infantry Entrenchment: +3/0 Overhead "Trench Warfare" works with natural defilades as well
Infantry Defensive Fighting Positions (DFP): +3/+3 Overhead Earth/lumber overhead cover 36" thick
Armor Hull defilade: +3 v. Hull shots
Armor Turret Defilade: +3 v. Hull and turret shots. AFV cannot fire in turret defilade. No overhead cover.

Click on table for larger more crisp, clear image.

Effects of the Infantry Fire Table (IFT)
KIA - Killed in Action. The target unit is eliminated. You can allow a handful of survivors who are all wounded and remain combat ineffective for the remainder of the engagement. If they are not medically evacuated from the battle field, they are dead.

M - Morale Check. Check the unit's morale by rolling 2d6. The roll must be equal to or lower than the unit's morale factor to pass. Failing a Morale check implies the target unit has lost its discipline and desire to remain in the fight. They want to run away. It is possible they have incurred several casualties which has had adverse psychological reactions to the surviving members of the unit. Every unit begins the game with a morale factor of 6.

Once a NATO unit has been fired upon and survived one morale check, their morale increases to 7. ISTH units retain a morale factor of 6, except for specific circumstances. 5 - 15% of all units, assuming there are more than nine, will begin the game with +1 morale or in this case 7. Once they survive first contact, their morale increases by +1 to 8. These are elite special operations units. Just because a unit is designated as Special Operations it does not mean they inherently receive this tag.

# - A number morale check means that this number is added to the dice roll to determine the outcome of the morale check. A unit with a morale of 7 undergoes a +2 Moral Check. The dice roll result is a 6. Add 2 to the dice roll which is 8. The unit fails the morale check and loses heart. They want to flee, away from the enemy and toward other friendly units.

Conditional Effects
Point Blank Fire: If the target unit is within 50 meters of the firing unit, the attack factor is doubled (2X).

Long Range Fire: Small Arms weapons are effective up to 200 Meters or 300 meters away while Machine guns are effective out to 800 meters or 1000 meters away. But since a squad's machine gun or the squad's designated marksmen are the only one who can engage targets at distance, this rule states that only half the unit's weapons are able to engage targets. Attacks made between 300 and 600 meters are considered halved (1/2X).

Moving Firer: If your units are shooting from the hip or shoulder while moving, their attack is halved (1/2X).

Area Fire: If the target is concealed, hidden or their locations is suspected, the attack is halved (1/2X).

Pinned: If the shooter is pinned down and unable to move, their attack is halved (1/2X).

Infantry shooting from a marsh or river, the attack is halved (1/2X).

If the shooter is riding on an Armored Fighting Vehicle or any other vehicle, the attack is halved (1/2X).

Terrain Effects Modifiers
Terrain and movement have varying effects on fire directed at enemy in different terrain. These DRMs are intended to influence the outcome of attacks into different types of terrain.

Infantry moving in open terrain -1
Line of Sight (LOS) crosses a vehicle/wreck +1
Target is in woods, shellhole, graveyard, crag, behind hedge, beneath a vehicle +1
ISTH soldiers are +2 for above terrain features.
fighting at night or in fog is +2 for ISTH, but has no effect for NATO troops using Night Vision Devices.
Target in wooden building or a trench +2
Target in stone building or in defensive fighting position with overhead cover +3
Target is at a pre-planned bore sighted location -2
Target is at a higher elevation (greater than 20m elevation change) +1

AFV combat
Armored Fighting Vehicles (AFV) must make two (2d6) dice rolls in order to resolve combat. The first roll is to determine a "To Hit" value and the second is to determine whether a successful hit was a kill or not. In our case, since we can post several dice rolls in one post, we will perform two dice rolls for every AFV contest. If the first "To Hit" roll was a miss, the second "damage" roll is simply negated. Its purpose will remain the same regardless of whether the "To Hit" roll was successful or not.

To complete the rolls, consult the AFV To Hit Table to determine whether a shot hits its intended target. Ranges are given out to 3,000 meters. NATO armor can engage targets at that range, but ISTH AFVs cannot. NATO numbers are presented in black, while ISTH numbers are given in red. The table shows outcomes when engaging vehicles, infantry, aircraft, buildings or when firing smoke at an open area.

Once a friendly AFV has acquired a "Hit" on a target, the player must then consult the AFV Kill Table to determine whether the target was destroyed. The table lists weapons calibers across the top and where on a vehicle the round lands; front, side, rear or unarmored vehicle. There are two tables listed, one for Armor Piercing (AP) rounds and one for High Explosive (HE) and High Explosive, Anti Tank (HEAT) rounds. Note, that the only round that can penetrate the American Abrams, British Chieftan, German Leopard and French LeClerc is the Depleted Uranium Armor Piercing rounds (DU) which should be treated as AP ammunition for consulting the AFV Kill table. The only nations who use DU rounds are USA, UK, Germany and France.

Firing HEAT or HE rounds at a tank, can only result in a mobility kill. If these are successful rolls, the AFV is fine, except its track is blown off and/or road wheels are torn off. The vehicle's crew are still alive and can walk away from the incident or remain in their seats and continue to fight without the opportunity to move again.

If a player rolls the given number or lower, it is a Hit on the To Hit chart and if he rolls the given number or lower on the damage chart, it is a kill. All misses have no effect on the AFV. All hits that result in no damage are assumed to have bounced off the armor.

If an AFV is destroyed on the battlefield, the owning side can call for a wrecker to remove the wrecked vehicle from the area or simply leave it behind, if unable to safely get a wrecker into the area. Wrecked AFVs offer great protection as cover for Infantry fighting in the area. It blocks line of sight and blocks small arms fire from hitting flesh.

Leadership & Morale
Every NCO or Officer in a leadership position will roll for morale and Morale modifiers prior to the start of the exercise. Leadership can have a positive or negative impact on the outcome of a battle. They are necessary for helping squads engage targets, move and rallying.

All Corporals and above who are listed as Team Leader, Assistant Squad Leader or higher begin the game with a base Morale of 7. When creating leaders, roll 2d6. A combined total of 2 or 3 results in the Morale starting at 6 rather than 7. A combined total of 11 or 12 results in the morale starting at 8 rather than 7. A combined total of 4 - 10 results in the morale starting at 7. A soldier promoted into a team or ASL leadership position does so with a morale of 7. No additional rolls are necessary.

Leaders can influence morale checks with their Morale modifier. The baseline morale modifier is 0. Roll 2d6 (2-12) at the beginning of a game for everyone Team leader and above to determine their morale modifier. A roll of 2 results in a morale modifier of +2. A roll of 3 results in a morale modifier of +1. A roll of 4 - 8 results in a morale modifier of 0. A roll of 9 or 10 results in a morale modifier of -1. A roll of 11 results in a morale modifier of -2. A roll of 12 results in a morale modifier of -3.

If a squad is fired upon and receives either a morale check or a number, that squad must perform a morale check. All leaders in the 50 meter piece of ground must take a MC first. If they pass, they can then use their modifier to influence the outcome of the squad(s) in the same 50m piece of ground with them. If a leader fails a morale check, he is broken and considered either shaken up or wounded. When a squad undergoes a normal morale check, they must roll their morale or lower to pass. If their squad leader has a -1 DRM, then subtract one from dice roll to determine outcome. If a squad leader fails a MC, the SL's DRM has no impact on the squad. Also, if the leader breaks, the squad must undergo an additional normal morale check. If they fail this MC, they are broken along with their leadership.

Once a squad and its inherent leaders are broken, they must run away from the enemy. They cannot remain in the same 50m piece of ground. If they cannot move away from the enemy because they are surrounded, they become Prisoners of War (PW). At the start of each round, roll the broken leader's morale or less to rally. If he rallies, then he can rally his squads and get them back into the fight. If he does not rally, then the squads remain broken and continue their rout. If a squad is broken/routed without leadership, it can hide in woods, wooden buildings, stone buildings as long as they are out of fire of the enemy. If they are in range of hte enemy, they must continue to run away. They cannot be rallied unless a friendly leader moves to their location to rally them. That leader can then apply its moral modifier to rally the broken units. Any unit that fails two Morale checks successively, is eliminated (KIA).

Click on table for larger more crisp, clear image.

Vehicle Statistics | +
Individual AFV Statistics
Tanks
M1A2 Abrams* [120mm][MG: 4/4/6] DRM to Hit +4/+4/+1 ROF: 2
Challenger 2* [120mm][MG: 4/4/6] DRM to Hit +4/+4/+1 ROF: 2
Leopard 2A6* [120mm][MG: 4/4/6] DRM to Hit +4/+4/+1 ROF: 2
AMX LeClerc* [120mm][MG: 4/4/6] DRM to Hit +4/+4/+1 ROF: 2
Altay [120mm][MG: 4/6] DRM to Hit +3/+2/0
Stryker MGS [105mm][MG: 6] DRM to Hit +1/0/0 ROF: 2
M60 [105mm][MG: 4/6] DRM to Hit +2/+2/0
AMX-30 [105mm][MG: 4/8] DRM to Hit +2/+2/0
Chieftan [120mm][MG: 4/4] DRM to Hit +2/+2/0
M48 [90mm/105mm][MG: 4/6] DRM to Hit +1/0/0
T-90** [125mm][MG: 4/6] DRM to Hit +4/+4/+1 ROF: 2
T-80** [125mm][MG: 4/4/6] DRM to Hit +3/+3/0 ROF: 2
T-72** [125mm][MG: 4/4/6] DRM to Hit +2/+1/0
T-64 [125mm][MG: 4/6] DRM to Hit +1/0/0
T-55/54 [100mm][MG: 4/6]

IFV/APC
M2/M3 Bradley [25mm][TOW][MG: 4] ROF: 10 [Pax: 7]
M113 [MG: 6][Pax: 11]
ACV-15 [25mm][MG: 4] ROF: 10 [Pax: 8]
Stryker [Mk19 RWS 40mm HE][MG: 6] ROF: 10 [Pax: 9]
FV510 Warrior [30mm][Javelin][MG: 4/4] ROF: 10 [Pax: 7]
VBCI [25mm][MG: 4/4] ROF: 10 [Pax: 9]
Boxer [Mk19 40mm HE] or .50 cal [MG: 6] ROF: 10 [Pax: 8]
Freccia [25mm][MG: 4/4] ROF: 10 [Pax: 8]
MOWAG Piranha [MG: 6][Pax: 5]
LAV-150/M706 Commando [90mm][MG: 4/8] [Pax: 2]
FNSS Pars [25mm][MG: 4] ROF: 10 [Pax: 10/14]
LAVIII [25mm][MG: 4/2] ROF: 10 [Pax: 6/7]
Pandur II [105mm][MG: 4] [Pax: 12]
Patria AMV [MG: 4 or 6][Pax: 8-12] or [105mm][Pax: 6]
KTO Rosomak [30mm][MG: 4/6] ROF: 10 [Pax: 8]
LIV (SO) [40mm GMG] ROF: 10 or [MG: 6/4/4]

Utility & Cargo Trucks
ATF Dingo [Pax: 5/8]
Grizzly [Pax: 10]
Mungo ESK [Pax: 8]
Otokar Arma [MG: 4 or 6][Pax: 8]
YAK [40mm GL] ROF: 10 or [MG: 4][Pax: 12]
HMMWV
M939 5-ton Truck [Pax: 15]

* These four vehicle are all equipped with a special laminate composite armor that is applied with layers including steel, ceramic and kevlar. The only ammunition that can destroy these vehicles is Depleted Uranium. DU rounds should be treated as AP for Combat Resolution.

ImageImage

My Characters
My Writing Styles
Galileo Corporation
Modern Wargaming Rules

Best Days for RPing
Fri - Sun

Attitude | +
~ Charles Swindoll

Last edited by Gunther on Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:17 pm 

Mad >:(

Blog: View Blog (0)

Gunther, you're brilliant! this is a fantastic idea!

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 12:44 pm 

Been over on Rolplay Repository for a bit. Currently retired.

Blog: View Blog (2)

I know I'm necro-posting here but I have to say that all this looks awesome! My little brother found a wargame at a 2nd hand store called 'Squad Leader' and I played the basic 1st scenario with him a couple times. It was fun if somewhat time consuming, and would have loved to have gotten into it more. Sadly, he moved back to Thailand and took his game with him. He says there are online methods of playing it, but we haven't found the time to actually do that.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
-Piter DeVries

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when my fear is gone I will turn and face fear's path, and only I will remain.
-Paul Atreides

~My RP Resume~ ~ ~My Characters~

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 2:47 pm 

PLaying SQUAD with TASQ

Deumeawyn wrote:
I know I'm necro-posting here but I have to say that all this looks awesome! My little brother found a wargame at a 2nd hand store called 'Squad Leader' and I played the basic 1st scenario with him a couple times. It was fun if somewhat time consuming, and would have loved to have gotten into it more. Sadly, he moved back to Thailand and took his game with him. He says there are online methods of playing it, but we haven't found the time to actually do that.

The first three scenarios of Squad Leader are my favorites. I have played them repeatedly throughout the years. I can win as either Russians or Germans; the forces are quite evenly balanced. Victory is dependent upon your tactics. I started playing Squad Leader about 40 years ago and yes, these rules are based on that game.

ImageImage

My Characters
My Writing Styles
Galileo Corporation
Modern Wargaming Rules

Best Days for RPing
Fri - Sun

Attitude | +
~ Charles Swindoll