All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:34 pm 

Hello everyone. Please feel free to speak to me. I am so lonely.

Blog: View Blog (1)

In a tavern along the edge of the Old Kingdom or so it was once named many years ago, a cloaked figure came inside.
“Good tidings, Inn Keeper. A room and meals for a few days once more, if you please or don’t please.” came a female’s voice.

A key was passed over the counter to the young woman who was taking the hood of her cloak down.
“Thank ye. I’ll show myself up.” She headed up to the room where she always stayed. She changed and unpacked before heading down the stairs for dinner.
She sat in her usual corner which was the cleanest spot in the tavern. And why not since she owned the tavern. Not that many knew that fact.

The Inn Keepers wife came over to see what she wanted.
“The usual. Any news around here?” she asked.
“No ma’m. It has been very quiet since you left last month. I’ll have your stew ready in a few minutes.” She spoke as she left.
The strange woman was writing a poster to be placed up on the board.

Wanted
Students who will travel to a dragon academy.
All willing students will receive free tuition, food, housing, clothing and 1 dragon egg. Must be in fit condition to travel many miles on foot to Dragonopia. Once there the student will be under the command of a Dragon Lorest who will guide the student in how to raise, care for and ride a full grown dragon. The student will be required to stay for a minimum of 5 years.
Once the student and dragon passes their final exam, they will be required to spend 5 years serving the Dragonopia as a military force.
All interested students must be at least 15 and not more than 25. They must be unmarried, unpregnant, and have no outside obligations.
All interested students must be at The Dragon’s Den, Old Kingdom, on the 5th day of October. Testing will start on the 6th and those who pass will leave on 7th.
Anyone with questions will have their questions answered on the 5th day of October.

When the wife came back, the woman handed her the poster.
“Please post this. I will need a large load of supplies next month. Mostly staples such as flour, sugar, lard, nuts, dried fruit, smoked meats, oats. I will be bringing a few sets of oxen with me.” She spoke as she handed the poster to the wife.
“I’ll have the estimate before I leave in the morning. I’ll be leaving at first light.” The woman announced.
“I’ll have your usual ready for ye then.” Was the answer from the wife.

Next day before sunrise the woman picked up her supplies and left the key as well as the list. A bag of gold was placed in the usual spot.

A month later came and the strange woman was back once more. It was the first of October. She had to make various transactions before the students were due to arrive. It was a busy time for the woman.

Meanwhile, a gypsy caravan pulled in and set up shop in the city. They were quite busy carrying in boxes and barrels into

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:20 pm 

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man

Medals: 6
Longest RP (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) 3rd Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (2)

Word of this dragon academy had been slow to reach the northern tribe, of course it didn't help that they never spent very long in one place before packing up and moving on. It had been simply up to chance that a few of the older men had returned from their trading trip to the more southern areas and had seen the poster looking for new students. Returning to the tribe, they had shared this knowledge with the elders, who had then passed it along to those they thought would be capable of it. Nikolas was one of them. He had talked about it with his parents, and they had agreed that it would be an asset to the tribe to have a dragon rider among them, something that hadn't been done in many generation. That had settled it, and only a few short days later, Nikolas was loaded up with supplies for the trek, and set off.

Thankfully, the trip was met with few problems, and on the third of October, the northern tribeman arrived at The Dragon's Den. Pulling the hood of his thick fur jacket down, and running a hand through his hair, messing it up a little more than it already was, Nikolas stepped cautiously into the tavern and approached the front counter. He could feel eyes on him, but did his best to ignore them. He knew he could come off as intimidating with his height, and simply with where he was from, but there was nothing he could really do about it. When the inn keeper approached, Nikolas cleared his throat. 

"This is where those interested in the dragon academy are to gather, correct?" He asked, pulling his gloves off and tucking them under his folded arms resting on the counter. He took a few moments to look around at his surroundings, taking in the new sights and smells, as well as noticing the quickly averted gazes and men hiding behind their tankards.

"Aster: Semi-master of Procrastination and Sage of Multitasking" ~ Yue
"Step aside Doctor Who, we have Asterous now~" ~ PaperMoon

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:22 pm 

"Indeed it is the Inn. If you wish to join, you must see the Lore Master in the Pub." was the answer that the Inn Keeper gave. Nothing less, nothing more.

In the Pub area are a few patrons of the tiny village and some of the Gypsies who came in for a bite to eat. The young female was giving out plates of a savory stew to each of the patrons and their drinks. One of the patrons stood out more than others and was sitting in a corner by herself. She was writing in a large journal and other papers which were held down with colorful stones.

"Here is your stew and extra bread, milady. Mead this noon perhaps?" the young lady spoke quietly as if she prefer not to bother the lady.

"No thank you, Anna. Just a pot of tea will do." she spoke as she preferred not to disturb the lady.

"As you wish, milady." Anna spoke as she curtsied and hurried off.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:21 pm 

Medals: 4
1st Year (1) 2nd Year (1)
3rd Year (1) Veteran Member (1)

The Masroop Tribe had their village on the plains deep in the valley of Grey Hawk. On the horizon was the Mountain of Mists. The clan of silver dragons protected the human village below. In the year of the Great War the regions of the north were kept safe. The kingdoms south and west were devastated. The generation that befell was a racial mix of gypsies and indigenous tribes.

The harvest had already begun, and the Festival of The Sun was beginning. The new generation would be coming of age and the initiates would be males and females between 15 and 19 years old. The would have full rights to counsel and ownership of property. The society allowed men and woman equal shares in land, animals, and marriage.

It was a cloudy morning over the plains when the village met the dawn. Mayleen was excited her time had come. She was seventeen and her mother wanted Mayleen to have a few years maturity before she would allow her daughter to participate. She rose early from her hide, cone-shaped shelter.

Drums announced the gathering of clan members to the middle of the compound for the occasion. Silver dragons approached the central compound. One of the females was ready to lay her third egg in 1000 years. The dragon The dragon would wait to see Mayleen was initiated before she flew away to a special place, designate years ago, to lay her rare egg.

When the festival was about to begin the chief announced, "Welcome all to the Festival of the Sun. Today is a special day for our next generation. They are ready to take their place in Masroop society. This is also a sad day. The Great War is upon us and soldiers encroaching on sacred land to the east. A darkness in the sky, bird migration patterns changed, the flood animals are gathered in greater numbers into the plains and hunting grounds. These signs mean the village is no longer safe. We need to head for the mountains. The Silver dragons will give us shelter. The dragons are sacred and bonds lasted thousands of years. All initiates have been called together and their strength, courage, and honor are at stake. The Masroop initiates have accepted to attend special schools depending on their talents and abilities."

Mayleen stood with her peers and awaited her calling. She was athletic, an excellent bower and bonded with animals. She was ceremoniously given beads in her hair of her family's colors, topaz blues, jade greens, ruby reds, and quartz in many hues. Was given wampum bead necklaces of the west, coral bracelets of the east, rare tourqiuse of the north, and earrings of gold and silver of the mines of the south.

After the ceremony, Mayleen was made ready by family and friend. They provided the teen with a chestnut mare fit for long distance travel. The horse and a sure-footed pack mule were burdened with furs, leathers, sacks of trade goods, personal items and food for two weeks. Mayleen tearfully said her thank yous and goodbyes.

She knew the village would pull up stakes and seek refuge in the mountains. There they would be safe in the deep caverns of the Silver Dragons lairs. The dragons emulated the humans and provided comfortable homes. The had living areas, studies, hot spring, bathing areas, privy's, libraries, and feasting halls. The Silvers loved banquet and communal feasting with their bonded humans.

The journey had been pleasant for Mayleen. She lived off the food that was provided and she ate well off the blackberries, wild strawberries, succulent apples of friendly folk that accepted her trade goods. She played her wooden flute for children.
Two weeks passed quickly as she arrived at her destination a day early.

Mayleen turned toward the inn entrance and took a deep breath. She held herself tall and opened the door. *This is new life. You’re here. Make the village and family proud.* She had never been inside an inn. She entered, the place was warm and inviting. Behind a polished wood, counter was a slender man handing a key to a neighboring teen tribesman. She stepped forward, smoothed her braids, then brushed the front of her deerskin dress, and spoke in the native tongue, "Pardonce, Frie? "BonHey. Namie Mayleen. Se beun ug namie? Es bebigne The Dragon School almaso?"

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:30 pm 

just passing through

Teresa had been out to the nearest tribes where she heard about a dragon academy she had gone to tell her elders about it and they had decided that it would be great to have a dragon rider back in their tribe for this tribe had seen many dragons riders and her tribe loved dragons but they only knew what had been told through generations. Teresa had talked about this with her father and he said that it was a fantastic idea and that her mother would have agreed within the next few day she was packed and ready for her trip and had set off.

the trip was long but she had very little trouble to deal with and on the 1st of October she had arrived at the dragons den Teresa looked around at her surroundings it was something that she was not used to but she was excited to do this none the less she walked into the tavern and to the front counter she looked around and saw many of the people in here looking at her but she did not care she had been through worse than people looking at her strangely she stood beside the person already here.

"Excuse me is this where the people who are interested in this Dragon academy are supposed to be gathering" Teresa looked up at the other person at the front counter "hey are you one of the people from that northern tribe right names Teresa and yours." Teresa waited for an answer but continued to look around the tavern.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:07 pm 

"Indeed it is the Inn. If you wish to join, you must see the Lore Master in the Pub." was the answer that the Inn Keeper gave. Nothing less, nothing more.

In the Pub area, the Lore Master was setting the stew off to one side so that if a prospective student comes, she had a place to put things. Her tea was now steeping and the bread nibbled on. She had the feeling that the students would start coming in. She looked around at the sight of familiar faces and smiled.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:20 pm 

The teen turned to the girl that entered behind her, "Hello. Teresa, I am Mayleen. That young man is asking if this was the place." She turned back around to face the innkeeper, "Me names Mayleen an she's Teresa. Papa said ta yah have room keys, Sir."

He handed her two keys., "Thankies."
She gave one to Teresa. "I guess we go in and take a seat. I ain't never been in an inn. The food smells good. Ya want's to follow me. I just go where he's going."

The young man walked over to a pretty lady in a green dress sitting at a table. her. Mayleen stood beside him. She waited for him to introduce himself before speaking, "Miss, is ya the Lore-Master? I am Mayleen an she's Teresa. I hopes ya not traveling in tha pretty dress. Ya might get it dirty and tore up."

Last edited by LadyKate43 on Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:33 pm 

Lore Master raised her eye brow.
"Yes, I am. What I wear is my business. I hope that you can spoke and read as well as write common. Everything that I will be teaching will be done in common. I shall see when you fill out the forms.
Please fill out these sheets of paper and bring them back to me when they are dry.” She spoke quietly as she hands the papers to the person. There were ink wells on the table as were some quills.

Paperwork | +
Your name:
Next of Kin:
Kin’s Address:
Are you married or engaged?
Do you have any children at all?
Do you have any property to take care of?
What is your job?
What are your hobbies?
What chores do you like or dislike?
Any Comments?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:19 pm 

Nikolas pulled his attention back to the inn keeper when she spoke. Nodding his head as thanks, the tall man turned to face the small crowd, his gaze never lingering on anyone for more than a few seconds at a time before he spotted a woman sitting off on her own with a large journal and papers scattered around her. He paid little heed to the redhead who had stepped up beside him, asking about the inn just as he had done.

He heard her address him and turned his attention to her. Before he could answer her and give his name, a second woman approached and swept Teresa along with her. It seemed they were all here for the same reason so Nikolas made his way towards the woman in the corner. He could hear the two women following, and crossed his arms across his chest. He heard the woman, Mayleen, introduce herself and Teresa.

"And I am Nikolas." He finally introduced himself, his voice low. He listened to what the Lore-Master was saying, his head slightly to the side and his arms still crossed. He could speak common, it was necessary whenever he joined the traders and interacted with those outside of his tribe who didn't speak their own language. He could read and write it well enough for what he had been needed to do, which he hoped would be adequate enough for what the Lore-Master was asking. Nikolas took the papers he was handed and quickly scanned over them, making sure he understood what was being asked before quietly moving to a clear section of table to begin filling them out. 

Nikolas read over the papers carefully, pausing several times due to either confusion, or simply not having an answer. Next of kin? The entire tribe was responsible for and like kin to one another. They didn't exactly have an address either, never staying in one place for very long before moving on. As for his job, he did many things, not having been given a set position yet. And hobbies? He never really had time for hobbies, always kept busy with jobs. Continuing his reading he was once more stumped at the chores. Would these be considered as what he did as a member of his tribe? His work? He wondered if chores for people around here were different than what he knew as chores...probably.

Finishing the papers off the best he could, Nikolas made sure they were stacked nicely before handing them back over to the Lore-Master. 
"I am afraid I do not quite follow the customs of these parts." He admitted to the woman.

Paperwork | +
Your Name: Nikolas Sigurdsson
Next of Kin: Bátur Tribe
Kin’s Address: North
Are you married or engaged? No
Do you have any children at all? No
Do you have any property to take care of? No
What is your job? Fisher/Hunter/Trader/Tracker
What are your hobbies? N/A
What chores do you like or dislike? 
- Like: Hunting and tracking
- Dislike: Gutting fish, babysitting
Any Comments? N/A

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:33 pm 

"It is fine, Mr. Sigurdsson .I need a wide variety of people." Lore Master spoke as she scan the paper. She then picked up a small piece of paper and handed it to him.
"Your paper work is fine. Here is an information card, your room token and a pass for your meals tonight and tomorrow morning. If you are chosen for to go to Dragonopia, you will be given more things. Are there any questions so far?"

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:56 am 

Mayleen looked at the paper some words were familiar. She dipped the quill in ink and filled the form. When finished she blew on the paper and carefully handed to the lore-master. Is there anytin else before mornin?"
Your name: Mayleen McCrey
Next of Kin White Dove and Danior McCrey
Kin’s Address: Mosoop Tribe Grey Hawk Valley
Are you married or engaged? no
Do you have any children at all? no
Do you have any property to take care of? no
What is your job? Bowman, Leatherworker, medicine, trapper
What are your hobbies? bead making, riding, storyteller, playing flute, fishing
What chores do you like
Taking care of animals and training them
Making clothes pretty with beads

or dislike?
Skinning
cleaning poop
planting and harvesting acres of land
shirring sheep and making cloth
preparing hides
Any Comments?

Common ain't so good. I am hard worker an won't let family or village down. I talks to animals an they listen. I knows to watch signs for bad and good things come. I can track prey.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:39 am 

The Lore Master looked up from her stew and smiled.
"Thank you." she spoke then scanned the paper.
"Miss McCrey, I have a few things for you. Here is an information card, your room token and a pass for your meals tonight and tomorrow morning. If you are chosen for to go to Dragonopia, you will be given more things. Are there any questions so far?"

The Lore Master thought to herself
Another good candidate. Two so far that I will accept. Now will they accept me and my rules?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:00 am 

just passing through

Teresa looked over the at the girl who had introduced herself to her she did not remember talking to this girl but she took the key she was handed and followed her to the lady who said that she was the lore keeper Teresa looked at the paper work.

Your name: Teresa Moloney
Next of Kin: N/A
Kin’s Address: Southern plains
Are you married or engaged?: No
Do you have any children at all?: No
Do you have any property to take care of?: No
What is your job?: Hunter, Fisher, Trapper, Navigator
What are your hobbies?: fishing, hunting, trading, and trapping
What chores do you like or dislike?: like hunting or going to speak with traders and not really any chores that i do not like as of yet.
Any Comments? N/A

Teresa handed the papers back without saying anything but thought that if it is this much paperwork to just get into an academy maybe she shouldn't have come here but she really wanted to become a dragon rider like her mother was so she just would have get used to it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:42 am 

Mayleen extended her hand and grasped the items that the lore-master gave her. "Here is an information card, your room token and a pass for your meals tonight and tomorrow morning. If you are chosen for to go to Dragonopia, you will be given more things. Are there any questions so far?"

She had many questions but she would wait until the pretty lady in the lovely green dress would speak to her about Dragonopia in the morning. Her Festival of the Sun initiation taught her that is was best to be tested first and all questions would be answered later. "Lore Master, I has one question. What time do testin begin? I hates tah be late."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:08 pm 

"There is no testing to get into Dragonopia. Read the card and follow the directions is all that you have to do. If you pass. you will be given more instructions." The Lord Master spoke to Mayleen as she took Teresa's papers.
"Miss Moloney, your paper work is fine. Here is an information card, your room token and a pass for your meals tonight and tomorrow morning. If you are chosen for to go to Dragonopia, you will be given more things. Are there any questions so far?"

Those who are listed below, please report to the Meeting Room in the morning at 8 AM. Be sure to eat breakfast before coming. It will be a busy day.
Nikolas Sigurdsson
Mayleen McCrey
Teresa Moloney

The next day at 8 AM

The Lore Master was up and ready to go down to eat. She walked down to breakfast dressed in her best clothes. She wanted to greet the new prospective students in attire as a lady. She nodded at the Inn Keeper who nodded back at her as she went into the pub area. Once there a young girl quickly got her a pot of tea and a selection of teas to drink as well as sugar.
“Morning Maggie, dear. Thank you for sitting up my table so well. I’ll have my normal meal this morning. Sausage gravy of scrambled eggs and friend potatoes.” She spoke quietly as she sat down at the table.

She ate quietly as she thought of what she was going to say to the class and all that she had to do.

PostThis post was deleted by Shades on Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:14 pm.
Reason: Double posting on IC
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:33 pm 

Nikolas watched the Lore Master looking over his papers, fully ready for her to question him on one thing or another, or to send him home because of something he had, or hadn't marked down. He was also a little caught up with her having called him 'Mr. Sigurdsson'. Back home people hardly ever used last names, only when outsiders visited the tribe or when needed were full names used, or if someone's first name was the same as someone else (very rare as the number of people was relatively low).

Accepting the items he was handed, Nikolas took a step back and shook his head no to having any other questions. He stepped out of the way as the other two women brought their paperwork forward as well. 

The night passed fairly slowly for Nikolas. He had had a hard time sleeping in the inn's room. It was nice and everything, but the northerner had grown up sleeping outside, sometimes in the open when it was warm enough, otherwise in a tent with his family. He found himself getting up often throughout the night, wandering around the room until he felt ready to sleep, and once more tried to rest for the following morning. He was up early and had already eaten breakfast when some of the inn's other occupants had begun to trickle in. 

As the hour neared eight, Nikolas located the Meeting Room. He stood just inside the door with his back to the wall, surveying the place before doing anything more. He briefly wondered where the others were and if he were late, that would be a great way to start off this whole thing.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:01 pm 

"Good morning, Mr. Sigurdsson. I hope that you slept well and are ready for Orientation Class. We have much to cover today." The Lore Master spoke as she was setting up the room. She had an assortment of boxes and scrolls on a cart at the head of the table. The table was large but only had 4 chairs around the square table.

"Feel free to choose one of the chairs. Once the other two are here, we will begin. Any questions yet?"

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:03 am 

Mayleen went back to her mare and slung a pack of her belongings over her shoulder before going to her room. Her room was next to Nickolas and she set her pack on the floor. She had not been to a regular town. The furniture was nice, and the room was warmer than her family's wigwam. She exited the room and locked the door behind her.
A table beside the fireplace empty. She sat down looking around her. The townspeople wore odd clothes. The men could easily get around in pants. The ladies wore long dresses like the lore mistress. She could not understand why they would wear tight bodices and floor-length skirts. Their clothes had to filthy, got easily torn, and not practical for work, hunting, or running in.

She held up her food token as soon as the barmaid arrived. Mayleen watched as the barmaid tended to patrons, appear and disappear from the kitchen. She asked what some words meant on the menu. Then settled on Chicken soup, roast beef. potatoes, and cornbread, and water. The townsfolk shook grains of white from pretty glasses on to their food and added yellow dollops to potatoes and bread. She like the taste. It was foodstuff she liked just made different. She was used to using her hands, but she mimicked people using the utensils by their plates. She ate with the spoon and stabbed meat with her progonned tool. She recognized the oddly shaped knife. She hopped she would not have to get used to the town customs. She thought her family would be laughing at her. She liked the colors of peoples' clothes.

Once she ate her fill she was very sleepy and returned to her room. She unlocked the door, entered, and locked it as her father told her. She tried to sleep on the soft bed. but was used to sleeping on the ground. She added a few logs to the fireplace in her room and piled the blankets on the floor. She covered up in a fur blanket.

The next morning, she woke up before sunrise forgetting where she was. She was in charge of feeding the animals and gathering eggs. But she entered the privy out of curiosity. She saw a tub and got out soap and washed her clothes and hides. She washed her face from water in the sink. It would be nice having water where you slept and not having to go in the woods.

She heard Nickelous close his door and pass her door. She dressed in a fresh deer hide dress with fringe and heavy beading. She put on moccasins, a turquoise necklace, and matching earrings. She read a note that was shoved under her door. She walked downstairs to eat. he opened the door walked out and relocked it before going downstairs to breakfast. She carried the token in her hand and sat beside the fireplace. She noticed Teresa was not down yet and passed Nickolas, "Meni Hay, Nickalous, does ya want company?"

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:40 pm 

just passing through

Teresa took the things being handed to her and then decided to make her way to her room even though she found it hard to sleep here far away from her family and her home Teresa didn't sleep at all she had climbed up into the rafters of the room and sat up there for the night thinks about what it was going to be like and how much this would change her life. Teresa pulled out a small knife and a small block of wood and began to carve away at the wood to make a figure of a creature known as the dragon the way her clan saw them and long serpent with wings a hind legs.

the next day Teresa made her way down stairs she found the meeting area she saw the lore master Teresa walked up to Nikolas and waved at him she really hoped that this was going to be worth it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next