All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Open Season [OOC]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:30 pm 

eye of newt, tail of newt... rest of newt...

Medals: 12
Best Couple (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) 3rd Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (59)

If you've read the interest check, you should already have a rough idea what this is about.
If not, then I suggest you go read it, and if you've stumbled upon this OOC and would like to join, please post in the Interest Check and wait for my reply first!
That said, let's get started on this.

R U L E S

- If you want to create a witch, you must make a townsperson OR inquisitor as well.
      - This is to ensure that finding out which characters are and aren't witches isn't too simple. If you have one witch character, you must have at least one other non-witch to balance this.
      - The same character cannot be a witch pretending to be an inquisitor.
    - There will be no set posting order or cycle requiring everyone to post before we move on. You can post whenever you like (as long as you don't spam). Instead, I will ask that someone posts at least once every two weeks (=14 days).
      - That post doesn't need to be written from the perspective of every character you play.
      - If it seems slow to you, that is just because I know myself and my schedule. If we get more people, the time between each post will be significantly shortened, so go out and grab your friends (nudge nudge).
    - This is obvious, but don't god-mod. This RP is based on characters having a secret identity from other characters, and if you metagame, you are ruining the whole idea. Be extra careful with this!
    - I love collaboration in all its forms! Write with and encourage each other to do the best you can!
    - Speaking of collaboration, there will from time to time be 'world events' so to speak. This might be a market day, a sabbatical, or a religious holiday. You can participate in these as you'd like.
    - As always, if you have any ideas, I'd love to hear from you!
C H A R A C T E R S
Please use the following template(s) when making a character.

Public profile | +
Code:
[b]Name; Occupation; Age[/b]
[b][i]Role:[/i][/b] Choose Inquisitor or Townsperson (If you're a witch, write Townsperson)
[b][i]Notable features/skills:[/i][/b] How literate is your character? Do they have a weird mole somewhere? Are they a fantastic dancer or musician; do they brew really good ale? Anything they might be known/or recognized for goes here.
[b][i]Known history:[/i][/b] What do the other people in town know about you?
[b][i]Relationships:[/i][/b] What family members or acquaintances of note do you have? As the game goes on, this can be updated! Just contact me.

Witch secret profile - DO NOT POST THIS. PM it to me! Please title it 'Character name, secret profile'. | +
Code:
[b][i]Type of magic:[/i][/b] Black, Brown, or White?
[b][i]Familiar:[/i][/b] All witches must have a familiar in the form of any animal.
[b][i]Mark:[/i][/b] All witches have a visible mark (see http://24.media.tumblr.com/e55f0cb03c232b5a2cd471f2aad66aae/tumblr_n0lf7h7evt1sxp2nbo1_500.jpg) somewhere on their body, identifying them as witches. What these marks look like is [i]not[/i] known to the general public. It cannot be mistaken for a tattoo (as those don't exist).
[b][i]Dirty secret:[/i][/b] Anything your character knows or has done that would be very destructive should anyone find out. You can, of course, choose to reveal this, just be aware of the consequences it might have. If you reveal it OOC, every character in the world can be assumed to know.

Inquisitor/Townsperson secret profile - DO NOT POST THIS. PM it to me! Please title it 'Character name, secret profile'. | +
Code:
[b][i]Feelings about witches:[/i][/b] Why does your character hate witches? Do they even hate witches; or are they just pretending for some reason? Do they actively hunt them?
[b][i]Dirty secret:[/i][/b] Anything your character knows or has done that would be very destructive should anyone find out. You can, of course, choose to reveal this, just be aware of the consequences it might have. If you reveal it OOC, every character in the world can be assumed to know.

A note
This is an alternate universe. Your character cannot come from a specific country or place in the actual world (though they certainly can come from outside Clayhaven; feel free to get creative). The setting is roughly medieval Western Europe, so be aware of this when choosing names.

M A G I C

There are three types of magic in play, defined as Black, Brown, or White. A witch may only practice one type, but can have dabbled in others in the past. For the purposes of this roleplay, how a witch actually came into contact with their magic powers is irrelevant. What matters are the insane things the inquisitors might accuse them of having done to turn the public against them.

To cast a spell, a witch needs to make a token comprised of a carving of the target's full name (in wood, bone, or anything, really), herbs of their choice, and whatever other ingredients they choose to add to strengthen the spell's power. Also required is an incantation. This is not to be of some strange, otherworldly tongue, but in plain English, a lá "no food from no plate shall feed you, no drink from no cup shall quench your thirst, no loving touch from the living shall grace your skin", though it doesn't need to be very long or complicated. If a token is destroyed, the spell is lifted. All spells are in effect indefinitely once cast, but will fade over time. If a witch wants the spell to last, they'd need to re-perform the same ritual with the same token.

Black Magic
These are your good, old fashioned curses. They might be as simple as making someone's bread burn all the time, or as malicious as making their crops wither right before the harvest. All curses require a minor blood sacrifice, no matter the scale. You cannot kill someone directly with a curse (i.e. 'drop dead' spells are not a thing), but you can absolutely make them very sick, or try to cripple them.

Brown Magic
Brown magic is very peaceful and helpful in the little ways. Brown magic is household magic. Brown magic is the secret ingredient in your apple pie, adored around town. Brown magic is much harder to detect than the other types, because it is so subtle, and often not used on others.

White Magic
You guessed it, it's the opposite of Black magic. White magic provides cures, incredible fortune, curse removal, and is even rumored to have the ability to force people to feel more positively about others. Whether that's a good thing is up to you.

How to Use
It's simple! PM me with the nature of the spell, who it is directed at, what you did to make it happen, what the token looks like, and where your character is keeping it (remember that the token is a physical item your character will need to be responsible for!). I will then post the details in the OOC, so that nobody knows who did it.
W O R L D

The quaint village of Clayhaven lies halfway up an incline that at its end turns into a 400 ft fall directly onto a beach. It's a beautiful spot from which to watch the sunset, which the resident Lord often does. Their manor lies an hour's ride up the incline just by the edge of a small forest. Clayhaven itself lies roughly in the center of a mass of small farms and the fields belonging to them. The road out of the village splits into a path that you can take to get to the beach below the incline; an overall much safer way to get there than risking the jump.

In the village, you will find a chapel where the townspeople worship the Mother, a protective and kind deity, as well as a number of saints (of varying levels of goodness). Devoted followers of the Mother argue that witchcraft is an abomination and affront to her, as it meddles with people's own free will, as well as the destiny that the Mother has cut out for all of us.

You will also find the local tavern, which is often full of merry folk in the evenings. A number of other small businesses also thrive, including an apothecary, a butcher's, a cooper, a tailor, and other craftsmen.

The public square is at the center of town, and it boasts a well, a gallows, and a wide space for people to set up their booths for market day. The square also often features children up to no good and a beggar on occasion. It also functions as the ideal place for large groups to gather. Once in a blue moon, traveling performers even come by, and it is always a spectacle when they do.

The farms are managed by families who are tenants to the lord and pay taxes to him, which he in turn hands over the the royal tax collectors twice a year. The farms all focus primarily on their own thing in an attempt to minimize competition; Beech's Orchards and Hamswick's Horses being among the most famous of all of them for their excellent quality products. Still, rivalries arise, as people sometimes happen to change their minds about what they want to do. Recently, the Offward family has begun dabbling in horse breeding, to the great dismay and contempt of the Hamswicks.

The Lord's youngest child, his daughter, is the object of much admiration of several young men, but she is rarely seen outside the manor grounds due to her loving, but strict father's rules. When she does come into town, she often goes straight to the chapel to pray. The Lord is in general perceived as a kind man, but none the less, there are those who wish he would soon pass on the title to another - family member, or otherwise.

A note
The above information is just for inspiration, and the Clayhaven isn't limited to that!

Last edited by Fearless Sissy on Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:41 am, edited 9 times in total.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
 Post subject: Re: Open Season [OOC]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:33 pm 

C H A R A C T E R S

Inquisitors

Edwin Earle; Judge; 37 | +
Played by Muse
    Notable features/skills: The most notable detail about Edwin is that, for a judge, he's quite young. In light of his upbringing, Edwin was forcefully inserted into a role of responsibility from a very early age, and subsequently has developed a very bleak and monotonous personality. Extremely well-read. Looks like he hasn't lifted a finger for manual labor in years (because he hasn't).
    Known history: Edwin's father was a judge before him, and he was also married once before to a woman that was twenty times too good for him. It's unknown what happened, but Natalie disappeared some years into their marriage, though the nature of the disappearance remains a mystery. Other than that, Edwin is a very private man.
    Relationships: John Earle (father, decased), Amelia Earle (mother), Natalie Earle (wife, missing)

Townspeople

Absalon Myers; Gambler; 24 | +
Played by Renegade96
    Notable Features/skills: Absalon has a silver tongue, able to convince people of things without much effort which makes him an exceptional liar. He also has a decent poker face which he uses for gambling. He has three scars over both his left and right eyes.
    Known History: Absalon doesn't tell anyone about his past before he moved to the sleepy town, all he'll say is that best leave the dead buried. However he will say he made a lot of money playing cards for a living but as for what he does for a living, no one is for sure. All anyone knows is that he makes his money gambling. He's also known for drinking too much.
    Relationships: Absalon has no known relationships.

Basile Sterling; Baker; 25 | +
Played by KingPigeon
    Notable features/skills: Basile is most well known for his sourdough, baked with a starter that has been in his family for six generations. His hands are toughened by burns from a cavalier approach to ovens.
    Known history: Basile was born and raised in Clayhaven, like his father, his father’s father, his father’s father’s father, and so on. He was a quiet child, always in the shadow of his more aggressive older brother, Anson. When Basile was 17 his parents succumbed to a sudden illness, and soon after his brother, who had begun to drink a bit too much, collapsed into an oven in a drunken stupor. Basile took over operation of the bakery and has provided Clayhaven with fresh bread every morning for the last 8 years.
    Relationships: Basile sends fresh bread to the Lord every morning, but doesn’t know if the Lord really knows who he is. Basile also cares for a large white pigeon named Bartholomew, who likes to watch over the bakery from the rafters.

James Avery; Reverend; 31 | +
Played by Muse
    Notable features/skills: The most notable thing about Father Avery is his ability to brighten a room. He's usually always smiling, and when he's not it normally means you've caught him unawares. Long hair, don't care. Not much of a strongman, but every time that a house is due to be raised, he works as hard as his body will let him. Generally a sort of clumsy guy, so he's got a few scars from raising buildings.
    Known history: What do the other people in town know about you? Not much is known about James before his arrival in Clayhaven, but he's been around for the past two years and he's been working very hard to make Clayhaven a better place, through sermon and labor alike.
    Relationships: Gwyndolin/Gwyn (a very good and pretty cat, the BEST cat, oh yes she is <3)

Jennifer Madison; Seamstress; 36 | +
Played by Baphomet-In-China
    Notable features/skills: Jennifer is somewhat of a mischievous spirit, and she has a signature dark sense of humor as well as a knack for ticking off others. Despite this, she is very outgoing and social for someone who has lived alone for the majority of their adulthood. Gifts in the form of small crafts (i.e. mittens, cushions, dolls, etc.) are common to people she finds especially likable.
    Known history: Jenny is quite open about her history should anyone ask, though whether any of it is true is up to the listener; she apparently had an affinity for creation for all her life, and it was her mother who granted her the opportunity to work as a seamstress. She apparently had a lover at some point, but she refuses to say much else outside of that.
    Relationships: Natalie (mother, 62), Christopher (father, deceased)

Keira Grauwald, Innkeep, 42 | +
Played by Fearless Sissy
    Notable features/skills: Keira is widely known for being the motherly innkeep at the 'Chicken & Axe', and among her many talents, she serves the best chicken pot pie anyone could dream of. Her wild, curly, graying hair is easily recognizable.
    Known history: Keira and her husband took over the Chicken & Axe over twenty years ago, turning the run-down place into a warm, welcoming space for the villagers to spend their evenings. The upstairs was cleaned and the bed sheets washed thoroughly, making the three guest rooms fit for human presence. Through all the happiness, however, a shadow started to creep in, and one day, Keira's husband disappeared. His crushed corpse was found two days later on the beach, barely recognizable. Keira has run the Chicken & Axe by herself since then.
    Relationships: The Beech family (providing the inn with their famous apple cider); Fisk (the resident furry rat-chaser); Harold Grauwald (husband, deceased).

Rose Randolf, Farmer, 19 | +
Played by KingPigeon
    Notable features/skills: Rose is a capable farmer who works her small farm alone, raising goats, sheep, and one angora rabbit. She keeps to herself for the most part, but sells goat milk and cheese and wool in town.
    Known history: Rose was born in Clayhaven to a spinster mother, and it has long been a subject of rumor who the father was. Rose's mother never told, and it remains a mild scandal. Rose worked the farm with her mother until her mother passed , and then continued to work it alone.
    Relationships: Rose doesn't have many friends, she still remembers who bullied her for not knowing who her father was. Her goats are friendly though, and she finds caring for them perfectly fulfilling. Her rabbit, Woolly, is usually by her side at the market and at home.

Samuel James Hawthorne; Doctor; 34 | +
Played by UnculturedGaijin
    Notable features/skills: Well educated and knowledgeable on a range of subjects. He is one of the few people to have read (or is able to read) the texts concerning the Mother and he regularly attends services. He is an accomplished doctor using the latest in modern techniques (basically leeches and blades). He is a friendly and well-spoken man who genuinely cares about his fellow villagers.
    Known history: He came from a small island across the sea with a group of refugees and no family in tow. He doesn't really talk much about his past only to say that times were hard for him. There are rumours that he had a wife and daughter but that they both died at sea.
    Relationships: He is very much a bachelor with no local family.

Simon Hamswick; Farmhand; 19 | +
Played by Fearless Sissy
    Notable features/skills: Simon is a strong, young man with not a whole lot of brains, but you'd be hard pressed to find a better rider. Simon is very tall, sticking out of almost any crowd.
    Known history: As the oldest son in the Hamswick family, he's been around horses all his life, and takes great pride in treating them very well indeed. His affection for the Lord's daughter is also widely known, but always met with skyward eyes and hopeless smiles.
    Relationships: Thomas Hamswick (father, 42); Emma Hamswick (mother, 37); various Hamswick siblings.

Please post below with your character, using the public template from the above post.
At the same time, please send me a PM using the secret template from the above post.
Take great care not to post the secret template in this thread!
Until I've received and accepted both, your character will not be listed here.

Only doing 1x1s and tiny groups for now due being generally busy. If you have a cool idea, feel free to approach me, though, alas, even the most awesome adventures must be passed up on sometimes.
invisgmt+1 + 6th semester university student = patience please ♥

Last edited by Fearless Sissy on Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:16 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
View Likes PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:30 pm 

you catch more flies with honey but you catch more honeys being fly

Medals: 8
Best Entrance (1) Creative (1)
1st Year (1) 2nd Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (0)

aw.
YISS.
I am all up in this ****ing.

Edwin Earle; Judge; 37
Role: Inquisitor
Notable features/skills: The most notable detail about Edwin is that, for a judge, he's quite young. In light of his upbringing, Edwin was forcefully inserted into a role of responsibility from a very early age, and subsequently has developed a very bleak and monotonous personality. Extremely well-read. Looks like he hasn't lifted a finger for manual labor in years (because he hasn't).
Known history: Edwin's father was a judge before him, and he was also married once before to a woman that was twenty times too good for him. It's unknown what happened, but Natalie disappeared some years into their marriage, though the nature of the disappearance remains a mystery. Other than that, Edwin is a very private man.
Relationships: John Earle (father, decased), Amelia Earle (mother), Natalie Earle (wife, missing)

James Avery; Reverend; 31
Role: Townsperson
Notable features/skills: The most notable thing about Father Avery is his ability to brighten a room. He's usually always smiling, and when he's not it normally means you've caught him unawares. Long hair, don't care. Not much of a strongman, but every time that a house is due to be raised, he works as hard as his body will let him. Generally a sort of clumsy guy, so he's got a few scars from raising buildings.
Known history:Not much is known about James before his arrival in Clayhaven, but he's been around for the past two years and he's been working very hard to make Clayhaven a better place, through sermon and labor alike.
Relationships: Gwyndolin/Gwyn (a very good and pretty cat, the BEST cat, oh yes she is <3)

_________Obscure__________Rules
__________Updates___________CF Guide
___________Contests___________Staff Contact
____________Ask the Staff________Posting Tutorial

__________Cirque du Creativité

Last edited by Muse on Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:33 pm 

Looks amazing! I'll post my characters this week too!

Only doing 1x1s and tiny groups for now due being generally busy. If you have a cool idea, feel free to approach me, though, alas, even the most awesome adventures must be passed up on sometimes.

View Likes PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:19 am 

Blog: View Blog (2)

Samuel James Hawthorne; Doctor; 34
Notable features/skills: Well educated and knowledgeable on a range of subjects. He is one of the few people to have read (or is able to read) the texts concerning the Mother and he regularly attends services. He is an accomplished doctor using the latest in modern techniques (basically leeches and blades). He is a friendly and well-spoken man who genuinely cares about his fellow villagers.
Known history: He came from a small island across the sea with a group of refugees and no family in tow. He doesn't really talk much about his past only to say that times were hard for him. There are rumours that he had a wife and daughter but that they both died at sea.
Relationships: He is very much a bachelor with no local family.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:22 am 

I have added all of your characters to the roster above, hurray! As an aside, please title the secret profile PMs as 'Character Name, Secret Profile' as mentioned in the template titles c: It makes it so much easier for me to find the right profile for the right character down the road!

Below you'll find two of my characters; I've a third in mind who might make an appearance later.

Keira Grauwald; Innkeep; 42
Notable features/skills: Keira is widely known for being the motherly innkeep at the 'Chicken & Axe', and among her many talents, she serves the best chicken pot pie anyone could dream of. Her wild, curly, graying hair is easily recognizable.
Known history: Keira and her husband took over the Chicken & Axe over twenty years ago, turning the run-down place into a warm, welcoming space for the villagers to spend their evenings. The upstairs was cleaned and the bed sheets washed thoroughly, making the three guest rooms fit for human presence. Through all the happiness, however, a shadow started to creep in, and one day, Keira's husband disappeared. His crushed corpse was found two days later on the beach, barely recognizable. Keira has run the Chicken & Axe by herself since then.
Relationships: The Beech family (providing the inn with their famous apple cider); Fisk (the resident furry rat-chaser); Harold Grauwald (husband, deceased).

Simon Hamswick; Farmhand; 19
Notable features/skills: Simon is a strong, young man with not a whole lot of brains, but you'd be hard pressed to find a better rider. Simon is very tall, sticking out of almost any crowd.
Known history: As the oldest son in the Hamswick family, he's been around horses all his life, and takes great pride in treating them very well indeed. His affection for the Lord's daughter is also widely known, but always met with skyward eyes and hopeless smiles.
Relationships: Thomas Hamswick (father, 42); Emma Hamswick (mother, 37); various Hamswick siblings.

View Likes PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:41 pm 

I've begun working on the opening post, which I hope will be to your liking. It won't be posted for a little while, as we are still waiting for a couple of people who have shown interest (namely @KingPigeon and @Baphomet-In-China) to make their characters/final decision.

As always, if there are any questions or any ideas pop up, I'll be more than happy to address them - just ask here or send me a PM.

View Likes PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:09 am 

I'm here!

Basile Sterling; Baker; 25
Notable features/skills: Basile is most well known for his sourdough, baked with a starter that has been in his family for six generations. His hands are toughened by burns from a cavalier approach to ovens.
Known history: Basile was born and raised in Clayhaven, like his father, his father’s father, his father’s father’s father, and so on. He was a quiet child, always in the shadow of his more aggressive older brother, Anson. When Basile was 17 his parents succumbed to a sudden illness, and soon after his brother, who had begun to drink a bit too much, collapsed into an oven in a drunken stupor. Basile took over operation of the bakery and has provided Clayhaven with fresh bread every morning for the last 8 years.
Relationships: Basile sends fresh bread to the Lord every morning, but doesn’t know if the Lord really knows who he is. Basile also cares for a large white pigeon named Bartholomew, who likes to watch over the bakery from the rafters.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:14 am 

I already feel way too protective of this unfortunate baker.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:41 am 

Haha, thanks I think?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:09 am 

Have made a few very small changes to the OOC info post, most notably a change in the 'Inquisitor/Townsperson secret profile'. I changed the section 'Reason to hunt' to 'Feelings about witches', as a regular townsperson actually doesn't really have a reason to go out swinging a torch. There's no need for any of you to edit your secret profiles, unless you want to, in which case, please send an entirely new PM to me with the complete, filled out template - thank you!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:10 am 

As the vikings say, ANOTHER! *smashes glass on the ground*

Rose Randolf; Farmer; 19
Notable features/skills: Rose is a capable farmer who works her small farm alone, raising goats, sheep, and one angora rabbit. She keeps to herself for the most part, but sells goat milk and cheese and wool in town.
Known history: Rose was born in Clayhaven to a spinster mother, and it has long been a subject of rumor who the father was. Rose's mother never told, and it remains a mild scandal. Rose worked the farm with her mother until her mother passed , and then continued to work it alone.
Relationships: Rose doesn't have many friends, she still remembers who bullied her for not knowing who her father was. Her goats are friendly though, and she finds caring for them perfectly fulfilling. Her rabbit, Woolly, is usually by her side at the market and at home.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:39 am 

Blog: View Blog (2)

She lives alone, has an unknown father and talks to her goats...

SHE'S A WITCH, BURN HER! ;-)

View Likes PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:37 am 

Hey, we don't have proof that she talks to her goats. Maybe she's just introverted. (Rose absolutely talks to her goats)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:45 am 

It's ok, James talks to his cat more than crazy cat ladies do.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:26 am 

See! If Reverend Avery does it it must be fine!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:37 am 

The In Character thread has been posted, guys! I hope you enjoy! There's no need to rush; we'll be doing this at a relaxed pace as mentioned under 'Rules'. @Baphomet-In-China and everyone else who wants to is still more than welcome to post in the interest check if they have questions and/or want to join.

I also suggest all of you subscribe to the IC (and maybe this OOC) thread, so you'll know when people post. As a final note, I love, love, love when people collaborate! Write out some speedy dialogue over PMs and use it in a post! Plot with each other! It can only go well c:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:19 am 

sorry for being on and off I am a dumb head

Hey, I want to apologize for the sheet taking so long... Recently I had a really strong episode of depression and it killed my urge to come here as often... I am just now getting back to my feet and should be setting up my stuff soon, maybe today or tomorrow, promise!! Sorry for not informing you before!! ;n;

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:58 am 

@Baphomet-In-China Hey, don't worry about it, I'm glad if you're feeling a little better now. This RP is leaving no one in the dust, so don't fret about taking longer than you expected, okay? I'm only happy to hear that you're still interested in this!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:15 pm 

Awww YISS son, I can't wait to get started

Welcome back Baphomet! I struggle with that kind of thing too. I'm glad you're back at it though. :]