All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 660 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 33  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:53 pm 

Medals: 4
1st Year (1) 2nd Year (1)
3rd Year (1) Veteran Member (1)
Blog: View Blog (1)

Kate was happy he asked she hugged him, "Jasper, you asked. That is so good. You remembered this morning lesson. Yes. We can. Would you like to invite them to come with us?"
The mage peeked in before opening the door all the way. "We are coming back." Kate held Jasper's hand, "Jasper, will you invite them please."

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:03 am 

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man

Medals: 6
Longest RP (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) 3rd Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (2)

Jasper was surprised when Kate hugged him, taking a few seconds of stunned silence before gently returning it. He then followed Kate back to the door and waited patiently for her to enter first. What he saw both confused him, as well as intrigued him.

Matt was being chased around the table, jumping over chairs, and pushing them in Abigail's way.

"Get back here you brat!" She shouted at him, reaching out to grab the back of his shirt but missing by an inch. "Give me that back!"

"Got to catch me first!" Matt laughed back. 

Jasper caught a glimpse of something shiny in Matt's fist as he shook it at Abigail, teasing her, before pulling whatever it was from her grasp.

"How did you even get it? It was around my neck!" Abigail asked, pausing in her chase. 

"I told you, nimble fingers." Matt wiggled his fingers at her. 

Noticing the others in the room once more, Abigail turned to Kate.

"He'll probably listen to you better." She said, crossing her arms. 

"Aww, come on. I just need a little persuasion." Matt added from across the room.

"A pair of handcuffs is what you need." Abigail shot back.

"Aster: Semi-master of Procrastination and Sage of Multitasking" ~ Yue
"Step aside Doctor Who, we have Asterous now~" ~ PaperMoon

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:47 pm 

Kate watched them for a few moments. "All right you two. Matt show her how you stole it. Then give it back. A Jasper wants to ask you something? This is first time talking to more than one person. He will be nervous."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:59 pm 

The two did as they were told before turning their attention to Jasper who looked ready to disappear. He hated having all the attention on him and his ears lowered, his tail moving nervously. He kept his gaze down, one hand playing with the hem of his shirt.

"Would you two like to..." He paused, looking quickly to Kate before continuing. "...to see the Mage School with us?" He asked, pulling back a little as though expecting some sort of punishment and rejection. 

This never came.

"Sure, why not." Matt said, sliding from where he had perched on the edge of the table. "Better than getting smacked up side the head by this one." He pointed a thumb at Abigail over his shoulder who only shook her head and followed the younger boy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:04 pm 

Kate put her arms around Jasper's neck. "Well done. My love. You go first and will lock the door."
Once the group was out in the hall, the mage exited her suit and shut the door. She waved her hand over the lock, "You all fallow me. I will let you know if it is safe to touch things. The baby dragons will not bite as long as you give them food or something shiny. The plant room has biting plants so I will only let you take a peak. The room of textbooks and mage robes is for prospective students. If you want to addend classes, you have to take an entrance test.

Jasper will be tutored by me. If either of you want to attend school here, I can get you caught up. The grades for children are 1-14. There is night school for older teens and adults. Here everything chooses you from the pens and parchment to your desk, suite, and robes. Jasper the robe I gave you knew you were cold and allowed me to put it on you. I will start at the main door and show you the wall of fame. Do not be surprised by moving pictures. I love this hall because I get to see my mother when she was my age. She was top of her class. Next I will take to to the dragon nursery. We can play with the older ones. I can show you mine."

Kate led them down stairs to the main entrance and aligning the walls were over 300 pictures of accomplished students in various areas, battle mages, potions, arcane, black, and destruction magic, healing arts, and book knowledge. A picture stood out from the others with a halo of light around it, "This is my mother Lady Catelynn R. Lyons. She was outstanding in Healing Arts, Enchanting, Booklearning, and knew nearly every plant. I have her scrolls and books. I was told she died and this light means she lives. I never understood it."
As the leave the hall there is a humming and a picture frame begins to quake the male voice speaks, "Matthew? Matt McGuare? Eighth Son of Steven McGuare?"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:27 pm 

Jasper nuzzled Kate as her arms went around his neck, letting out a shaky breath. He had been expecting the worst as per usual and when nothing bad happened he was greatly relieved. Abigail noticed her brother's hesitance to go and stepped forward, grabbing his hand and pulling him out the door.

"Come on you." She said, laughing at the moment of confusion that passed over his features. Matt followed soon after, shaking his head at the siblings with a smile. The trio followed Kate as she led them through the halls of the Mage School. Abigail liked the idea of getting taught properly. She had taught herself a few things in her captivity, and her mother had made sure she had basic skills for some practical things like cooking and sewing, but she wondered what else she could learn here. She would have to ask Kate about it later.

Matt on the other hand had no interest in schooling. He had survived this long without it, what use would he have for fancy skills and whatever else they had here? He had to admit it was a little freaky how everything choose the person, it made him shiver just thinking about it. 

When the approached the walls of pictures, Abigail watched each one they passed carefully. She was curious as to how they moved. Was magic that powerful that it could animate images? It was fascinating, but frightening at the same time. Jasper kept close to Kate, glancing at the images every now and then but keeping his focus ahead of him for the most part. 

Matt had just passed the painting before it had spoken. He hadn't been paying much attention to the people in the frames before, but when he heard his name he stopped and turned on his heel to face the man. 

"You must have the wrong guy, mister. I don't know this Steven." He had a funny feeling about this, and not a good funny either. Who did this guy think he was calling out to him with some name he had never heard in his life, claiming it to be his father and saying he had siblings? Matt shook his head and turned to follow the rest.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:53 pm 

The frame quivered and the man inside wore a red mage robe and had a key around a gold chair, "You are the eighth son of Hargarr the Mad. A curse was placed upon the House of Red Oak. You are my descendant. Slavery and poverty ruled and you have the keystone. Seek the east wall and on the setting sun you will find the glowing stone. Take the key and claim your birthright. You must break the curse. Break the curse and set our family fee. You are the last son."
The man reached out his hand and in his palm was a metal key made of ember it glowed orange. Kate stood beside him, "We will help him Lord Hargarr. We will see that Matt restore your House."
The mage faces Matt, "I know where his manor lies in ruins. You must restore your home and become a Lord. That is your bithright."

Last edited by LadyKate43 on Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:03 pm 

Oh good, descendant of someone named 'the Mad', just his luck. Matt turned back to the painting, deciding to humour him for a bit, maybe then he would leave him alone. He listened to what the man said, feeling like this was some elaborate joke. His grin faltered when the man reached his hand out with a key and Kate approached. Facing the mage, Matt sputtered a reply.

"Wha...what are you talking about? I don't know anything about a family curse, let alone this House of Red Oak." Matt frowned, holding the key in his hand. "You've got the wrong guy, sorry." Matt said to Lord Hargarr. 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:21 pm 

The man shook his head, "I know your the right lad. You have you the mark of the dragon. The very dragon that cursed me and ruined my home. Take off your tunic boy. Tell me you don't bare the mark of Rexus Arigun. Every male bares that mark has been enslaved. Your the first to be free in centuries."
Kate blinked and gazed into Matt's eyes, "Better do as asked. I have been in these halls for twelve years and I never heard the Lord speak."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:28 pm 

With a scowl, Matt looked between Lord Hargarr and Kate. They weren't serious were they? When neither one of them budged Matt's shoulders slumped and he sighed before doing as told. Jasper and Abigail had approached, curious as to what was going on. 

Removing his tunic, Matt lifted his arms, showing off a mass of scars and marks all over his pale skin. Jasper bit his lip, knowing too well how many of them had been made. Abigail could easily count each of Matt's ribs, she knew he was thin but this was just painful. The boy was nothing but skin and bones it seemed. When he turned she almost flinched when she could see his shoulders blades and vertebrates pushing against the scarred skin. 

"Happy now?" Matt asked, one hand on his hip as he glared up at the painting, his brown eye hidden under his hair as his blue one shone angrily in the light.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:01 pm 

The man in the picture winced and sucked air between his clinched teeth. "I, I swear you were my decedent. I knew you were a slave. Take the key boy and a better life I grant you." Kate took Matt aside, "You have nothing to be ashamed of. This man is trying to help you. I will restore you. The mental scars you and Jasper possess will take longer to heal. I have heard of this Lord's treasure. Stay here and get an education. You will not starve and inside these walls you will never suffer physical punishment. Dress and swear to this Lord you will obey him. I will see that you are ready to take the entrance test. You do not have to perform magic just be willing to learn."

Kate clasped Matt's right hand he immediately felt a gentle heat that eased his pain, "Do not fear. I will never hurt you. I will know if you're in pain. Speak to the Lord and I will take you to the infirmary. There are herbs and greater healing potions inside."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:15 pm 

Matt was hesitant to accept this man's help. Any time in the past someone had 'helped' him, it had hurt him. He had taken a risk trusting Kate and that had turned out for the better. He remained silent as Kate pulled him aside and spoke to him. He didn't understand why she wanted to heal him so badly, he wasn't in any major pain and many of his injuries had healed into scars already, those weren't going anywhere.

"I don't need to be treated like a child. I don't belong to you." He finally said between clenched teeth, pulling his hand away from Kate. "I've survived this long without any of this, why do I need it now?"

"You think just because I'm a slave I can't handle myself? That I'm just some mindless thing waiting to follow my master's bidding?" At these words Jasper flinched, taking a step back from the group with his ears flattened.

"News flash princess, I don't need your help. I don't need your pity. I don't..." Matt closed his eyes and felt he was shaking, his hands balled into fists at his sides. All the anger previous seen in his thin form drained away and he was left standing with unshed tears in his eyes, feeling horrible. 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:57 pm 

Kate was stunned she did not want Matt to be angry. She walked toward her mother's picture then looked back at Matt. "I am sorry."
She looked up at her mother, "I tried."
The female's voiced answered, "Your father was the same only worse. He'll come around. You, need to let things be and give the boy time. No rush. Let it be. You keep Jasper close. Go see your dragons."
Kate crept across the floor and brushed her hand against Jasper's, "I know he is not angry at me as the past. You feel the same, you can't express it. I see it in your eyes. You know how he feels."

Kate turned her head toward Abby, "I am sorry. I am going to take Jasper to see the dragons. I know you can take care of yourself, Matt. How else could you remain alive?"

The lord spoke when Kate passed, "Mage Kate, thanks for bringing the Lad."
Kate shook her head, "Matt will make his own way. Papa did. I did not mean to make him mad."

The man in the picture sighed, "Well, Lad. What say you?"
The burly man in the picture across from the lord spoke in a deep Scottish rogue, "Come on Lad speak up. You pride is hurt. Is all. Shake it off and sleep on this. The lad's been given a boon and he's never had before. Quite a shock to know you belong to a lineage of nobles. Go on come back tomorrow."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:14 am 

Jasper watched Kate, worry eating away at him until she approached and brushed his hand with her own. He wanted to pull her close and let her know everything would be okay as she had done for him so many times, but he restrained. Looking to Matt, Jasper could see that he looked exhausted, worn out. A spark of familiarity struck him and he tried in vain to remember but nothing came. Turning to follow Kate, Jasper thought about asking Kate, she may be able to help him with this. 

Abigail watched the two leave, choosing to stick around Matt. The boy looked a little lost. Keeping her distance for the time being, Abigail heard the paintings speak to him. 

Matt kept his eyes down, glaring daggers at the floor. When the second painting spoke up he thought he would lose it. Without giving an answer, Matt turned and trudged back the way they had come. Reaching the door, he slid down the wall opposite it, burying his face in his knees. Abigail had followed him, and she sat next to him.

"You okay?" She asked. Matt didn't move or show any sign that he had acknowledged her presence. When she got no reply, Abigail tried again.

"Jasper knows what you're going through. He was a slave to Malora too not that long ago." She felt more than saw Matt move, his eyes trained on her with a hint of suspicion. "You could always talk to him, or even Kate, I'm sure she'd understand."

"Pretty sure Kate's starting to wonder why she bothered with me." Matt muttered, facing the door across from them. Abigail felt a strong urge to protect this boy. Carefully she rested her arm around his shoulders, giving a little squeeze.

"I'm sure that's not true. You two just need to get use to each other." She was speaking from experience, having gone from hating the mage to seeing her almost as a sister. Abigail felt Matt lean into her side and within a few moments he was still as sleep overtook him.

Jasper was lost in thought as he followed Kate. He was trying to dig up the past and that was proving to be a lot harder, and more painful than he would have liked. When he had reached yet another dead end he finally looked to Kate for help.

"Kate...can I...can you..." He released a frustrated sigh before trying again. "I know Matt from somewhere, I just...don't know how." Jasper turned his gaze downward, why was this so difficult?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:34 am 

Kate stopped in the main hall. She knew every word Jasper uttered was with difficulty. She squeezed his hand, "You recognizance Matt. Have you to asked him? Should I have just let Matt and Lord talk. He is not like you? Is it possible you were in the same place? I see scars on him that do not look like battle scars. I saw burn marks. Like he was used for something else than a pet. More sinister. I get the feeling he was with Drako more than Malora. What can you tell me of where you were kept? Come with me. I was going to bring you both to the infirmary. I thought about bringing you here first. Then I worried you might be terrified of the mages. Would you like your scars removed?"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:49 am 

Jasper shook his head.

"I don't know, he just seems...familiar." He looked to Kate apologetically, wishing he could be of more help. "I'm sorry Kate." His ears lowered as he said this. He couldn't remember anything specific, nothing about where they had met, or how he knew Matt, just that he had met him before. It felt like more than a simple acquaintance though.

Jasper was pulled from his thoughts when Kate asked if he'd like his scars removed. He was a little shocked that such a thing could be done, he had always thought that scars were permanent. He supposed magic could do any number of things he had once thought impossible. He considered the offer. On one hand it would be nice to be rid of all the reminders of what he had gone through, every lash, every blade, every brand in his flesh. But on the other, they were a part of him, something he had lived with for so long it was hard to just get rid of them. His hand found it's way to the back of his right shoulder where Lord Draco's brand had been placed the day he had been taken from his mother. Of all his scars, that would be the one he would give up easily. 

Abigail jolted awake, not remembering when she had fallen asleep. She took a few moments to remember where she was before she felt the distinct lack of a body next to her. Matt was gone. Bolting to her feet she quickly scanned the hallway, looking for any signs of the pale teen. When she came up empty handed she choose a direction at random and followed it, testing doors as she went. How could she let him get away like that? What if he had left the school and was back out in the town? What if Malora found him? All these thoughts raced through Abigail's mind as she desperately tried to find Matt before worrying Kate and Jasper.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:14 am 

Kate hugged Jasper then led him into a darkened room with a blue light coming from a long perpendicular tank of water. The tank was suspended from the ceiling. I have a scar on my right wrist from learning to create fire as a child. "Do not worry you will remember again. When you are ready we will try to recapture your memories. Right now I am taking you into a special chamber. You will be in a deep sleep out of pain. Your skin will be renewed and you will feel reborn. I can't replace your memories. You will see flashes of memories being restored and harsher memories pushes into the recesses of your mind. You will have moments of euphoria. I will be mentally be with you. Are you ready for a new you?"

Last edited by LadyKate43 on Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:23 am 

Jasper allowed Kate to lead him into this new room, his ears flat against his skull as he took in the surroundings while listening to what she was saying. Was he ready for this? He felt his entire body tense. A small whimper escaped him as he thought about what Kate had asked him. It frightened him the whole idea of what Kate had explained. 

"I don't think I'm ready." He answered hesitantly, taken a few steps back. He crossed his arms over his chest, hiding his hands from view as he knew they were shaking.

Meanwhile, Abigail had searched everywhere with no sign of Matt. Where could he have gone? She wondered if she should go outside and try to find him, but when she turned around she found she had gotten herself lost in her frantic searching. Holding back a few choice words, she tried retracing her steps. Why did every hallway have to look nearly identical? She asked herself. After what felt like ages, Abigail finally found something that looked familiar. The hallway of talking paintings, just her luck. Finding the two that had spoken to Matt earlier she gripped the frame of Lord Hargarr. 

"Have you seen Matt?" She asked, a hint of panic in her voice. She hoped he had passed through here, if not she was out of options. 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:39 am 

Kate was surprised by his reaction. Then she thought of him being in the tub and him recounting his story that he was forced underwater. "Oh I forgot your fear. That is alright, you will not have to submerge you face. Trust me. You will feel better once it is all over. The thoughts that haunt you will be suppressed and your new memories will fill your mind. How would like member all your firsts with me. Our time in the snow. The good dreams. All the delicious meals you've had. My hugs and kisses too. Our moments in town have not all been bad. You liked being a Savannah cat and petted. How would you like to feel you could sleep without fear?"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:43 pm 

Jasper listened to Kate, his eyes closed as he focused on her instead of everything else. He wasn't ready for all this. He wasn't ready to give up everything, even the bad. He knew he should, it would help him heal, but it was part of him. As Kate spoke he concentrated on the memories she was recalling. They were so much different from everything else, so much lighter. 

Looking to Kate, Jasper met her eyes, expressing his fear and worry. He knew he could trust Kate, she wouldn't make him do anything if it would hurt him. Slowly he nodded.

"Okay, I'll do it." He still don't a little hesitant but he wasn't shaking as badly as he had been now.

Abigail didn't get a helpful answer from the paintings. Grumbling something about useless paintings and old grumpy men, Abigail once more took off down the hallway. She was panicking, she had lost Matt and it was eating away at her. She found she was back outside Kate's door and slid down the wall where the two of them had dozed off earlier. Placing her head in her hands, Abigail felt the tears running down her face.

Clutching the thin cloak close to him, Matt wondered not for the first time why he was doing this. Was it to prove a point? Maybe. Or was he just a little too wound up and needed to do something outside of stone walls to relax? That was more likely. He didn't remember how he had gotten out but now that he was he wished he hadn't. The wind blew snow in his face, momentarily blinding him. When he cleared his face with his sleeve, he had just enough time to slip around a corner as two guards stalked by. Matt thought he recognized them, but didn't risk getting any closer in case they were Malora's guard. 

Scaling the side of a store, Matt perched on the roof, legs dangling over the edge as he watched the carriages roll past. He had day dreamed before of what it would be like to be one of those people. Not having to worry about where your next meal was coming from or if you would get through the day without a beating. Upon learning that that may very well be true, Matt was having a hard time understanding what that meant for him now. 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 660 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 33  Next