All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

View Likes PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:26 am 

Blog: View Blog (0)

All was calm. The sun slowly sinking through the dust-laden sky as a caravan steadily crossed through arid fields. It had been hours since its initial departure, but the wagon simply rolled along at a leisurely pace. There was no need to rush. No sense in blazing forward.

Glancing into the wagon, the lone driver took stock of his supplies. To the back-left lay an old wooden chest, where earnings were stored at the end of each day. A simple ritual; but one kept from prying eyes. Fortune was never built to last, so it always seemed wise to take steps to prolong it. In service of this, the chest's top compartment housed a small portion of the wealth hidden below. A sort of consolation prize for any thief who made it past the lock...and his vigilance. In the middle sat a trunk of cedarwood, storing a small number of personal effects. And to the very right, rested a bright red apple, couched in the corner - slowly, but surely, rotting away.

Supper was clearly to be found elsewhere, tonight. Facing forward once more, the driver looked on as dawn brought a blanket of shade over the scorching land. A doubtlessly joyous reprieve for both him and his horses. But after a moment's indulgence, he raced them down the now darkening road. The time for leisure was nearing its end, and the goal in danger of slipping away.

By the time night truly claimed its place, the wagon had just managed to arrive at its destination, its driver hurriedly scanning the city for somewhere to rest and refuel.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:17 am 

Blog: View Blog (1)

It was quiet outside, a calm settling over the village like a soft blanket. He had just finished his last mail delivery, and was lazily strolling through the town. He should've probably gone home earlier, eyes heavy with exhaustion, but his hands were itching to just release some of the pent up energy stored in them. Besides, it was the middle of the night and he was lucky to be in a place where almost everyone actually goes to bed.

Releasing a sigh, Lucas locked around hurriedly before stepping slightly closer to the fountain in the middle of the town. He tilted his head away, but moved his hand slightly closer, moving his finger in a swirly motion.
The fountain lifted up slightly, a small swirl of water lifting and moving in time with his fingers. Rising and falling as it swirled gently around his finger.

As many times as he's done this before, nobody ever really goes outside at night....Besides the drunkards. But they're too drunk to remember anything; So if one catches him doing it, it's not cause for concern.
He could stay there all night, but it's usually one of two things that cause him to move away from the fountain. People or Hunger. Unfortunately for him, he was too wrapped up to notice the former.

"You have only one life, and it's up to you to make it the best life you can."

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:53 am 

Pulling further into town by the second, it became clear that help would be hard to find. Most homes had already outed their lights for the night, and not a soul had passed the wagon on its way in. This wasn't the first experience of its kind, but the stillness that hung in the air still prompted greater action.

Hastening his pace, the road soon gave way to a large opening, and the circular center gave hope of a commercial district. Both from relief and the need to navigate, the wagon came to a steady halt.

There were four roads leading to this point; the eastern, which he'd traveled, could safely be assumed a residential zone. This left three more to be explored, but upon catching hints of light down the northern end, Shift slowly adjusted his course. With the solution seemingly in sight, he regained his usual poise, and prepared to set off. Yet just before moving on, a silhouette caught his eye. The first moving one since he'd arrived.

Climbing down from his wagon, Shift made his way towards the figure. But as the distance began to close, and darkness lost its advantage, it became clear that something else was moving. The very water in the fountain.

Shift had been to many cities, seeing incredible constructs of mankind and breathtaking views of the world at large; he'd even sold artifacts and relics that astounded citizens of those advanced sites. But for some reason, this subtle moving of water stirred something within him, quite unlike anything before it.

Overcome with fascination and wonder, Shift broke the silence in spectacularly simple fashion. "How are you doing that?"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:26 pm 

Lucas's heart stopped. His young, healthy ticker ceased to pump necessary blood into his body. Mind racing, he ran several scenarios out in head, but couldn't settle on a certain answer.
The water swirling his fingers had long since then fallen into the fountain again. Creating little small ripples.

"Aha, don't sneak up behind people! You might give them a heart attack. Heart almost stopped for a bit there."
Oh my gosh.
"Who are you? I've never seen you before... Traveling huh? It's late outside, and I'd probably have to clean up the mess if someone were to attack you so late at night. Ahaa, you should probably head inside."
What was that? I sound freakishly morbid!
"Oh you probably don't have a place right? Here, there's one right over there-"

Lucas pointed down the road, in no particular direction. He wasn't actually sure if there was one there, or not. No, he just wanted the man to leave and forget about it. A red color was coating his face, and he rocked slightly back and forth on his heels.
Now he knows what I look like, would it have been better to run? Probably.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:25 pm 

Having made his living through trade and negotiation, Shift calmly watched as the mysterious young man became a talkative, flustered one. After hours on the open road, a reaction like this was proving priceless - both easing his nerves and lightening his mood. The silence that once stifled the air now seemed like a distant dream.

As he was berated for sneaking, Shift couldn't help but smirk; even when casually walking, it was hard to break old habits. But as the panicked voice continued on, raising concerns of safety and protection, his small smile lost its form to confusion.

"Sorry for startling you, but...you seem more shaken than I'd expect. If there's danger at night, why are you sitting out here?"

After a brief moment, he went on, "You're also pointing to the residential area...are you inviting me in?"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:58 pm 

Lucas puffed out his chest, his panic slowly ebbing away. Just enough that it was slowly eating at him, and not devouring him.
"Aha, I eat danger for breakfast! You just startled me, that's all."
As he was boasting, his mind was struggling to come up with an answer to his next question.
Be a Man, just let him in. It'll only be one night....On the other hand he could be a killer....But people would notice me if I went missing, right? I'd hope so, nobody would get their letters and that would be pretty bad...

"Yes-" He was saying, before his mind could even comprehend it, "-Out of the kindness of my gracious soul, I am allowing you to stay."
NO WHY DID YOU SAY THAT!
"I have two rooms, so its not a problem. Just...Follow me..."
He turned around sheepishly, rubbing the back of his neck. He wasn't sure why he said yes, probably because he was an idiot who felt awful if someone felt even remotely upset.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:28 pm 

Perhaps intrigue was getting the best of him, or perhaps he was just tired, but Shift found himself buying into the man's bravado. After all, what sort of person welcomed a complete stranger into their home? Only the most cunning or naive; but whichever this person proved to be, Shift was grateful for his offer, and now more curious than ever.

As the peculiar host called him to follow, Shift quickly set aside his questions to give a proper response. "Thank you for your generosity. Having an official resting spot saves me a lot of trouble." Within moments of saying this, he whistles with a fair amount of force, to which the horses waste no time arriving by their side.

Taking the lead, Shift hops into the driver's seat and extends a hand toward his benefactor. "By the way, my name is Shift. Please, allow me to get us where we're going. You need only point the way, Mister...I'm sorry, I don't believe I've asked your name."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:10 pm 

Lucas sighed, relieved that the man hadn't continued to question him and offered him a ride home. It wasn't a horribly long walk, but if he had the opportunity to catch a ride, he would.

Lucas didn't want to grip the man's hand-he could pull himself up just fine-But the gesture was out of kindness, and it wasn't demeaning in any way...At least he thought it wasn't.
Gripping the man's hand, his black gloves rubbing against his bare palm as he yanked himself up and into the seat.
"I'm, err...Lucas."

He shifted his weight around until he got into a more comfortable position.
"Just a bit further down the road, and take a right...What's your name?"
Lucas wasn't really one for formalities, and so he didn't really think twice about turning around and peering into the wagon, curious as to what the man had with him.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:16 pm 

Pulling Lucas aboard took less strength than expected. It wasn't much to go on, but the danger he'd spoken of probably required a less than direct approach. Although Shift would never fault such methods, he wondered how far those skills carried Lucas, and how that other skill was even possible. Besides himself, Shift had never known another human that could control natural forces. He'd long left the matter alone. Or at the very least, believed he'd made the choice to. But with a water wielder right beside him, it seemed strange to have ever ignored it.

His mind racing with questions, Shift grew silent until Lucas's speaking brought him back to the present.

Smiling as his passenger got settled, Shift started toward where Lucas directed. Leisurely trotting down the road he'd arrived by and keeping an eye out for that right turn.

As the request for his name rang through, Shift shot a quizzical look at Lucas, who he found peering into the largely barren wagon.

Letting a small laugh slip, he took a light, friendly tone for his fellow inspector. "Though it may not have sounded like one, 'Shift' is my name. It's what I go by, anyways. As for the depressingly empty wagon, I sold my last item a few weeks back. Now I'm just traveling the area in search of new wares."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:32 pm 

"Shift...Sounds pretty mysterious."
He shrugged his shoulders, turning around to sit forward.
"This place sucks, so I'm not sure if you're going to really find anything decent. They mostly sell food here, but I've heard spices can sell for a lot."

As he was giving his little spice speech, Lucas was eyeing Shift next to him. Taking in what he looked like.
His grey eyes were certainly interesting, not so much as the color but the expression they held within. He couldn't quite place it, but he could tell that it was there. His hair was a bit dirty, probably due to the fact that he had been traveling for several days...Or that it was dark. Probably the former.

Turning his attention back forward, he tilted back a bit. Thinking.
He had enough food for a day or two, two small rooms, and a bathroom. Hopefully, Shift wouldn't mind drinking or bathing in a stream near his house.
"After you turn right you'll see a small forest and a dirt road leading into it, follow that road and my house will be right there."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:36 am 

"Hahaha! Blunt and honest. I love it. But if this place sucks so much, what keeps you here?" It was an earnest question, born solely from intrigue, but asking it got him wondering: why was Lucas's home so removed from the rest? Shift doubted it was worth worrying over, especially with how lax Lucas seemed, but being prepared for any outcome was what kept him alive so far. That, and his fail-safe.

With stern eyes and a smiling face, Shift continued driving down the moonlit path, the wear from his travels in clear view. Despite it all though, Shift somehow maintained an air of vigilance, his mind tuned to the world around him. In a few moments, he spotted the road that branched into the forest, and readily urged his horses onward. "Here we go."

Though the dirt road brought some rough patches, finding a way through proved most rewarding. In the blink of an eye, they were immersed in a sea of trees, and other lush greenery. How long had it been since he'd seen such natural beauty bathed in soft night and moonlight? As he lost his edge, eyes softening from the view, Shift couldn't help but ask, "Is this why you live in the forest? The beauty of it?"

Last edited by Shift on Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

View Likes PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:50 pm 

Lucas sighed, pushing a branch out of the way.
"Nobody here stops. Everyone's always rushing around, trying to get to the next thing.Nobody just stops and looks at the flowers, or to play games. Even the kids are working non-stop. People don't come out here because they don't have time."

Hesitating, the thought of what to say.
"I...I don't really know why I'm still here. This place is like a vortex, you know? Everyone has their lives planned out so they never have to go anywhere. Nobody cares about going to see the world, have something new. Maybe-"

He grabbed a leaf passing near his face, needing to move his hands. The pent up emotions he had been harboring just started spilling out, and he wasn't sure what to do. He normally didn't share his feelings, just keeping it bottled up until they spilled out like this.

"-Maybe I adopted their mindset too."

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:51 pm 

In those fleeting moments, as Lucas shared his thoughts, and his worries, Shift focused solely on him. Not to analyze his words, as he'd done before, but to feel the weight behind them. There was a sincerity and yearning that stood far apart from those who sought his wares...perhaps worlds apart from Shift himself. As well-traveled as he was, Shift rarely left his comfort zone. Always calculating how to charm and befriend clients, following the guides of politeness and poise to a fault.

Once Lucas had finished his thoughts, and time resumed for Shift, a gentle silence claimed the air, allowing the words it had just carried a chance to settle.

While he searched for something to say, Shift found that the only response he could give was equally unguarded - both from an emotional stance and a 'proper' one. "Even beyond this town, a lot of places move to the same beat. Stressing comfort and seeking profit...There's definitely a lot to see out there: new sights, lavish luxuries, bold ideas. But in the end, they all become noise."

Leaning back in his seat, and staring down the half-lit road, the wagon continued to find its way through with little issue. But after reflecting on what he'd said, and realizing how dismissive it was, Shift quickly retreated to his usual poise and practiced smile. "Perhaps you'd find it different though. I'm a bit of an oddball when it comes to dreams."

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:54 pm 

After a long silence, Lucas bursted out-
"-Ahaha, I get sappy at night. Sorry about that."
Embarrassed, Lucas quickly pulled up a practiced smile. Waving his hand dismissively as he shut away his emotions. Emotions were gross, they affect you and people can use them to hurt you. So why, was he telling this complete stranger?
Was it because he'd been bottling it up for so long, or because nobody had bothered to ask. Nonetheless, being self-conscious wasn't a feeling he felt often, so locking it away felt better.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:46 am 

Keeping his eyes lowered, and his body still, Shift responded in a calm, if not somber, tone. "You've nothing to apologize for. I asked the question...that's usually all I'd ever do, but...I didn't give my words enough thought. I'm sorry about that."

After letting his words hang in the air, Shift kept his eyes to the road, only raising his head as a large structure came into view. With far more relief than triumph, he let out a long sigh before announcing. "It looks like we're here, Lucas..."

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:50 am 

Lucas grimaced internally, eyes glancing over to Shift's somewhat downtrodden face. It was getting more difficult by the second to keep his smile up.
It wasn't that Shift's answer was wrong, it was completely right....It wasn't his fault that Lucas was slightly upset by that fact, and it only furthered his belief that Emotions were obnoxious and they affect everyone.

Now feeling more awkward than ever, Lucas was equally as glad when his house came into view. Hopping down from his seat, he stumbled a bit before regaining his posture. His house wasn't exactly the best in town, but it was better than most.
It was a big log cabin, with ivy climbing up the side, a small garden on the right side, and a small chimney peaking over the rusty red color.
If you payed attention, rushing water could be heard in the background.

"I have a small stable round back, do you need anything taken inside?"

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:30 am 

Following suit, Shift made his way to the ground, but wasted little time reaching the front of the carriage. Grabbing hold of the reigns, he looked over the silent travelers, always carrying their own weight without regard. Yet no matter how long he roamed the world, hunting for treasures or winning favor, there'd always come a point when he'd express what he carried - if not to others, to himself. Unlike these horses, that weight always stayed with him, in one form or another.

Mulling over these thoughts, and the slip-up that inspired them, Shift took a light, almost absent, tone upon hearing Lucas's question. "Just a change of clothes. I'll grab it before heading in, but I'm gonna find somewhere to fasten these two; they've been going at it a while now." Petting the large creatures, as if to thank them, he takes a steadying breath. Turning just enough to face Lucas, Shift looks him in the eyes, his gaze somewhat lighter than before. "Thanks again for putting up with us. I'll find you inside soon." With that, he began leading the horses around back in search of somewhere secure, and also to give his host a moment alone. After how he'd acted on the ride in, Shift felt he owed it to Lucas. A chance to catch his breath and unwind in peace.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:01 pm 

Feeling a bit of weight lifting off his shoulders, Lucas sighed in relief when Shift was out of earshot. Normally he enjoyed the company of others, but he hadn't ever had someone spending the night at his house.
So, understandably, he was feeling anxious as he opened the door to his home.

The first thing that you saw when you entered was a living room, complete with a fireplace, chairs, and a small sofa. Connected to the living room was a small kitchen which he moved to immediately, pulling out a small loaf of bread and cup of water that he filled with water from a small water bucket he had nearby. Hopefully it was satisfactory for now.

Grabbing another cup, he took a quick sip and sat down at the small table he had. Thinking of ways he could apologize for the little amount of food he had at the moment.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:31 pm 

Marching his way through, Shift quickly found himself at the opposite end of the cabin. It didn't take long to spot the stable and secure his 'workers' a place for the night. After which, he jumped aboard the wagon to gather their food. Usually, he'd peel a fresh batch of apples for them, but the last town he visited proved...less fortunate than most. Recovering the last piece of fruit, Shift wrapped his finger in shadows and began stripping the skin, along with any spoiled sections. Once the task was complete, he placed the skin in his mouth while handing the flesh of the fruit to his horses. They'd certainly done more of the day's work, and Shift was more than accustomed to missing a meal.

With that job behind him, Shift turned to the view just outside the stable; now allowing himself to truly take it in. The beauty of wildlife, the sounds of flowing water, all served to carry his worries away, at least temporarily. As the euphoric feeling rose and passed, Shift quietly stood there, chewing apple skin and thinking on what came next. It'd been several minutes since he took his leave, so after gathering his spare gi, and a small carrying pouch, Shift made his way to the front of the cabin. Giving a light knock as warning, he slowly entered the living room, scanning around for his host.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:10 am 

Lucas was brought out of his thoughts by a soft knock, Shift cautiously entering through the door.
"Oh!-"
He waved his hand, beckoning Shift over to where he was.
It would seem the incident before was forgotten, Lucas sitting with his feet up on his table while leaning back far in his chair. Just enough that he could fall if he sneezed or lost his balance.
"I wasn't sure if you've eaten so I got you some food, sorry its not a lot. I have some vegetables in my garden if you're still hungry."
Waving his hand towards the kitchen, he rocked back and forth on two legs. Sipping his water dismissively as he eyed him from the corner of his eye.

"Your room is the one on the left, if you just go down that hallway over there. I'm on the right if you need anything. Bathroom's the door at the end of the hall."