All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Refuge of Omens
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:51 am 

Location: I'm in the wind,trees, and rain. Everywhere, yet no where all at once.
Blog: View Blog (0)

The king yelled out, his spell breaking as Alma's blade dug in, stalling him for now. The pain in Flint's head dulled, and retreated slightly, giving him room to breath and think. He looked up to Alma, with glassy eyes, and groaned, shaking his head. Now that he could think he glared up at the king, still reeling from the literal blade in his back, and brought his hand to his neck, yanking at a leather cord, and pulling it enough to break it free. Flint held it up, producing with it an old beaten up shilling, bearing the emblem of the previous royal house. The coin was useless, bearing no value under the current monarchy, and only held sentimental value now. Flint stared at it, loath to use it, and for a second he almost didn't, but the sound of the queen now turning towards them with malice, and rage burning in her eyes snapped him to his senses. He turned to Alma and grabbed her hand, pulling it away from his face.

"Miss Alma, I need you to keep the queen busy, just a bit longer. Please. If you do I can get us both out of here."He said, standing, and pulling with him Alma." Just a while longer. You've got those potions, use them." He let her go, not waiting for an answer as he vanished again, using the ring one more time, hoping his plan would work. He didn't like leaving Alma to the mercy of Amalia, but he needed to.

The Queen snarled as he disappeared once more, and glared at Alma. She bared her teeth in frustration and raised her clawed hand the stone was in, twirling it in her beastly grasp."Looks like the little rabbit left you, but don't worry. He'll be dead soon, just as soon as I finish with you." She went to bring the fist down, but a weight landed on her back, making her stumble a few feet back, and grunt, Flint reappearing latched on to her arm and shoulder. Flint knew he could be reckless, impulsive, and on occasion, crazier then a hatter, but he wasn't stupid. Or at least he didn't think he was stupid. Most often his plans worked, so he couldn't be an idiot, but now his confidence was waning as he stared into the red eyes of the queen. Oh this was a bad idea.

This was a stupid idea! He grunted as she shook him. Well, it was too late now, so with a final prayer to what ever god would listen, he twisted his body, and grabbed for the stone, barely managing to grab hold of it as he jump away from the queen reach. Landing with a grunt at Alma's feet, Flint looked down into his hand, staring at the stone in amazement. He didn't have time to gloat, though, as the queen was bearing down on them now, frantic to get the stone back. With a scramble, Flint grabbed hold of Alma, and held the coin tightly in his hand, forcing the magic to break free, and sending the two of them away in a burst of white light.

When the two of them opened, they were standing in the middle of Flint's home, miles away from where the party was being held. Flint stared down at Alma, and sighed. "That was certainly an adventure..." It was said without humor, or energy, and one look at the man you could tell he was exhausted.

Please excuse my slow replies. I currently work 6 or 7 days a week, and now with Hurricane Irma effecting my county I wont know when I might have access to power next. Hopefully things will get fixed soon. Thank you for understanding!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:44 am 

Suuuuper bored, hmu with RP ideas ^^

"You know something, these spur of the moment plans are killing me over here," Alma snaps as he disappears once again. She was glad he seemed to be alright, but jumping right back into things seems foolish. Alma is built for extensive planning, all of this improvisation. However, the monsters trying to kill her don't seem to be the sort to give her a moment to think. "Next time I see a thief at a gala I'll mind my own business. This man is getting to be more trouble than he's worth," she mutters under her breath and sheathes her bloodied dagger.

She briefly glances at the potions on her belt and realizes she wasted some of her best ones assisting Elise Addington. With no time to even think to check if the woman was still alive, she snatches a bottle from her side and slams it on the ground, shutting her eyes tightly. With the crash comes a blinding light, intended to stun the queen. "Apologies your highness, but shut up," she huffs and dodges a swipe. She bites the cork of another vile and yanks it out. She pours the liquid on the ground before the queen, just barely rolling out of the way of another hit. It bubbles up and becomes incredibly sticky, gluing down one of the queen's clawed appendages.

Alma gasps once she spots Flint appear on Amalia's back. "This man is a lunatic!" She thinks and runs her fingers through her hair stressfully. There was no time to think between Flint hitting the ground at her feet and getting snatched by him. She closes her eyes at the sight of the queen pulling free of and charging at them. However, everything just seems to stop. No noise, no claws tearing her apart, nothing.

Cautiously, she peeks out of one eye and finds they aren't at the party at all any more. She glances around quickly and defensively, but relaxes for the first time since the ordeal. Everything seems to catch up to her at once, including the searing pain of the wound on her back that she had received before she even made it to the king and queen. "I don't know if I should hug you or smack you. Well... I committed high treason, found out there's some sort of dark magic corrupting the monarchy, and fought alongside a thief. I'm really going for a record or something," she says after taking a deep breath, making a considerably effort not to just freak out. She plucks a healing potion from the few bottles left on her belt and pulls the cork off with a pop. She goes to raise it to her lips but pauses. "Are you injured at all? This can help you," she holds it out to him. Being generous to him proved to be a bad decision in the past, but he looks so genuinely drained she can't bring herself to be selfish.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:23 pm 

Location: I'm in the wind,trees, and rain. Everywhere, yet no where all at once.

Flint chuckled, and slid into a chair, leaning back and letting out a puff of air. "Hey, we all got to commit a little bit of treason in our lifetime." he laughed at his own joke, and groaned when a dull pain rippled through him. Oh Gods everything hurt. When she held out the potion, he pushed it away gently. "Take it. You need it more then me, and besides, this is my home, everything I could ever need is right in this room." He gestured around the room, and only then did he remember the stone. How could he forget the bloody stone! He sat up, and dropped the rock onto the table,and stared at it.Flint could feel the dark energy wafting of it, and he could only describe it as evil. It was certainly forbidding magic, but he couldn't tell it's origin. "Miss Alma, what do you think of this?" He held it out for her to examine it.

Please excuse my slow replies. I currently work 6 or 7 days a week, and now with Hurricane Irma effecting my county I wont know when I might have access to power next. Hopefully things will get fixed soon. Thank you for understanding!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:40 pm 

"I don't think you're going to believe this, but I actually don't think many people commit any sort of treason in their lifetime," Alma smirks before taking a swig of her potion. Only about half the bottle would be needed to mostly heal her wounds. Since she's away from her supplies, she wouldn't want to down all of it in one go. Who knows what else could try to kill her. She briefly glances around and raises an eye brow. All he could need? Well he certainly didn't need much. Or at least he needed much different things than she did. She turns to look at the stone. The second she touches it, a great feeling of dread washes over her and yanks her hand back. "Um, hm, well, lets see then," she clears her throat and goes to grab it once more. How pathetic would it look if she acted scared of a stone? It emanates such a powerful energy, it's almost intoxicating. She turns it over in her hands and takes a deep breath. "It's... amazing. I don't know what to make of it, but the strength it has is incredible. The abilities the queen had must have only tapped into the surface. This thing has the capability to do so, so much worse," she comments before setting it back down on the table. Handling it was a bit overwhelming, so she didn't want to hold it for too long.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:05 am 

Flint watched her carefully. When she reeled back he frowned. Well, it was certainly evil, if it garnered such a reaction from a simple touch. He sighed and leaned close, poking at it with an abandoned tool from the table. It rolled lightly as he tapped it, but didn't do much else. It was odd how it seemed so unassuming from the surface. It looked like a simple black chunk of granite, or obsidian. But when he touched it, he could feel the vile magic that clung to it. "It's evil, and should probably be destroyed." He looked to her with keen eyes, then back to the stone. "How, though, is the question. I don't think any magic I have would do the trick,and no offense, but I doubt you could do better."

Leaning back in his seat, he pondered on what to do, raking his mind for answers. Maybe if I chucked it into a volcano it'll melt away...no,
that's a stupid idea. Who make's a all mighty magical weapon that can be ruined by lava...
Flint groaned,and glared at the rock. "Maybe I can smash it into dust, eh."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:16 am 

Alma makes an indignant noise at Flint discrediting her. "How dare you?! I'm sure if I studied it in my lab I could find some vulnerability in it. It's a much better plan than... smashing it into dust," she frowns and puts a hand on her hip. She helped save his life and yet he still insults her so. "However, we need to be prepared for the possibility that it cannot be destroyed at all. In that case, we would need to find a proper way of containing it and keeping it out of the hands of unsavory characters," she adds and sits on the edge of the table. Looking to the stone and back to Flint, she realizes he could technically be described as an unsavory character as well. While he was a dishonest thief, in an odd way he did seem to have good intentions though. "Come with me back to the estate and we can experiment on it, and I can restock potions and materials," she suggests.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:45 pm 

"Hey no need to get all in a huff. I don't think you're weak, but this thing is literal Evil incarnate. I highly doubt studying it will get us anywhere." He seemed to brush the idea off, but truthfully he didn't want to go around any more nobility. Even if Alma's master was a dimwit, he couldn't know if it was an act. The queen had said she wanted to kill him, but that could have been a lie. Still, Alma did have a point, and she did need to restock. "Look,I'll level with you. I don't trust getting even a hundred feet in the proximity of any lord right now. How can we be sure he's not some genius master mind pulling at the strings? " Flint tended to view those above him as idiots, but he wouldn't underestimate their power, or influence in a situation like this. He needed to know if Alma was sure this man was safe. "Is he really safe?"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:12 pm 

Alma paused for a moment and looks at the floor. She wouldn't have thought he would be anything dangerous, but now she's not so sure. Many things she was certain of had been challenged today. "If in being honest, I can't say for sure that he is or isn't involved with this. I really don't think he would be, but that's not a guarantee," she sighs before realizing something. "Oh! But he's out of town right now. He shouldn't even be back until tomorrow afternoon, and that's if he doesn't hang around longer, which he has a history of doing. We could be in and out before there's a single noble in the house," she explains and looks back over to him with a reassuring smile. "Ah, um but it's your call. My knowledge comes from books, as much as I hate to say it, you may know better in these situations than I," she averts her eyes and regains her neutral expression.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:02 pm 

Flint studied her for a moment, and leaned his head in his hand."You know, you shouldn't sell yourself short. Basic survival skills is all one needs, really. If you think it'll be safe, we can go," He gave her a charming smirk, and a wink and looked back to the stone. "I need to stock up before we leave, and that means we might have to pay a visit to a friend of mine, if you wouldn't mind." As he said that, he didn't seemed to really wait for her to answer, pocketing the stone, and walking towards the door. If she wanted to come, she'd follow, and if not she would stay. He didn't have time for indecisiveness, if she was going to have a hard time choosing weather to go or not, she'd be left behind.

Flint had learn from an early age you can't waste time pondering your choices. Think fast, and hope it was for the best, but don't spend the rest of your life regretting those choices. Everyone had to live with their decisions in the end. When he looked back, he had hoped he'd she he trailing behind. A small part of him expected her to have vanished, and fled, to abandon him.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:17 pm 

Alma is taken aback for a moment at what seemed to be a genuine compliment. The corners of her mouth turns up into a small, shy smile. She brushes a strand of hair out of her face and nods. "Okay, sure, I'm definitely fine with that, go a...head" she trails off when she sees him already gone. "Oh." She mumbles and pauses for a moment, before scurrying out after him. The thought of leaving on her own didn't even cross her mind, surprisingly enough. They were in this mess together now. Although she would deny it, she was finding respect for Flint. He was capable, with good intentions deep down, and she figured that was admirable enough. She trots up behind him and falls in step right next to him silently.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:57 pm 

It was a surprise to see Alma following behind. One that sent a small smile to Flint's face. He slowed down, letting her catch up. "We'll be meeting with a friend of mine. I hope you don't mind uh...seedy establishments." Seedy was a generous word for the business. Hell, disreputable was too nice a word. He didn't elaborate on his choice of words, and decided to let Alma make her own judgement. A few minutes of steady walking, and they arrived at The Honey Suckle.

The building was lavish, or rather what counted as lavish by Low Town standards, painted vibrant purple and gold. Beautiful men and woman stood around, calling out to the various men and women that walked by, hoping to gain the eye of a hopeful client. Flint waved to a blond elven man,leaning in close to some poor fool, who seemed to not know how this whole thing worked. When the blond noticed Flint, he gave the gentle a coy smile and motioned towards the entrance to The Honey Suckle, and with a wink, he rushed over to the two.

"Flint, this better be good. I'm working, you know." The mans voice was smooth,and held a certain air of suggestion, even through the slight annoyance his tone held. Flint chuckled and gave the man a peck on the forehead,which seemed to soften him up. He smiled,and patted Flints cheek. "Cheater. Using that charm of yours," He sighed.

"Come now Brooke, when is it never important? I promise it wont take long, and I'll even pay you for your time." Flint pulled out a couple of gold piece, and handed them over to Brooke's waiting hand. After a short pause, the blond nodded, and shoved the coins into an unseen pocket. "Alright, come along, and while you're at it, please do introduce me to this lovely lady you have with you." Brooke gave Alma a sweet smile, eyeing her with genuine curiosity. She was well dressed, and looked to be of noble blood. "This is Miss Alma. Alma, this coy bast*rd is Brooke, my friend." Brooke scoffed. "Friend? That's cold, love. I thought we had something special." Brooke gave a mock sob, and Flint snorted, as he pushed into the business. Once inside their senses were assaulted by the smell of strong perfumes, and fine wines. Inside was even more lavish, with plush areas to sit, and drink, while the pretty young thing you bought for the evening fondled your pockets for all you were worth. It was hard for Alma not to notice the feather light touches that managed to go under the guest radars as they were striped of jewelry, or money. Flint didn't seem to mind as they got deeper in, leading the three of them to the back,where the rooms held scandalous sounds. Brooke smirked when Alma noticed a rather influential merchant lord stumble from one of those rooms, drunker then a skunk, and a thin woman blowing kisses farewell to him.

"Poor bast*rd,"Flint chuckled a little, and stopped outside a large painting of a beautiful woman. The painting was framed in gold, and seemed to give off a faint magical presence. Looking to Brooke to open the way, Flint gestured for him, and the elf raised one nimble finger, and Alma watched as the painting came to life, and the woman in the frame, blinked once, than twice, before stepping to the side to reveal a stone path that led down. Flint stepped through the frame, and for a second it seemed like he wouldn't go through, before a wrinkle of magic swallowed him, and he appeared in the painting stepping down the path. Brooke looked to Alma, and motioned for her to go, following after, the painting reverting back to normal to the outside world as they descended the stairwell. At the bottom, a large cavern opened up, filled with odd magical bits and bobs, all illegal, and all buzzing with powerful magical energy. Flint was already digging through the items,and Brooke sighed. "Here we are, and all your things are just fine. Now can one of you explain why you're here? I mean, not that I don't love to spend time with you, love, but you usually only need this stop of you're up to something illegal,or dangerous, so which is it?"

Brooke seemed genuinely concerned, and when Flint made a noncommittal noise, he turned his question to Alma. "Please tell me he isn't going to end up dead."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:47 pm 

"I think I'll be fine. After all that's happened today, an unsavory establishment will surely be nothing," Alma replies simply. She was just starting to regain her poise and confidence. Recent events had thrown her off, but she had a reputation to keep. She strolls alongside Flint with her head held high and hands folded neatly behind her. Conducting herself with grace and professionalism despite everything that has occurred is a must.

When they arrive at the Honey Suckle, she doesn't think much of it at first. She wasn't expecting a building like this to be in low town, it looked decent enough. Soon she started taking note of all the beautiful people beckoning and cooing at passersby. Quite odd she admits to herself. Then it hits her. Visible realization dawns on her face and she almost immediately steps closer to Flint. Seedy was definitely an understatement on Flint's part.

"Hello there sweetie, don't you look like you know how to show a girl a good time. Why don't we get to know each other a bit better," A woman with bright red hair bats her large eyelashes and smirks. She gently runs a finger under Alma's chin, making her jerk back and hold her hands up in front of her defensively.

"Um, n-no thank you," Alma stammers, her face bright with embarrassment. She scurries quickly back closely to Flint's side to see an elven man with gorgeous blonde hair. "It's a p-pleasure to meet you sir," she says out of sheer conditioning to do so and bows slightly. Grace and professionalism were not exactly words one could use to describe her right now. Her eyes remained wide with shock as she kept looking around cautiously. It was painfully obvious she had never been around such a place. Such a den of dishonesty and scandal was probably as far out of her comfort zone as she could go.

As they walked down the hall past the rooms with very particular noises coming from them, Alma subconsciously grabs onto Flint's sleeve nervously. This was definitely overwhelming. She had overestimated her ability to handle any situation. Flint addressing her snaps her attention back the matter at hand. "Um, wha, I..." she mumbles nonsense as she processes what he said and rights herself. She notices her hand clinging to Flint and quickly lets go. "I honestly don't have the energy for this. Apologies Mr. Brooke for my dazed state, I'm not usually like that. We happen to be involved in something dangerous and illegal, so it's probably best you know as little as possible," she says quietly. There was far too much going on here to get her irritated. All she could seem feel is stunned and appalled.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:11 pm 

Brooke gave Alma a small smile and a pat on the back. "You need to relax dear." Behind them Flint snorted as he looked through a pile of books, thumbing through pages. When he found what he was looking for he shoved the book under his arm, and walked over to a desk, pulling out a few scrolls, and a sack. "Alright, Alma we can go. Brooke, darling, I promise to tell you everything ok? And I promise to be safe. If anyone ask, you never saw us." He gave the elf a quick kiss to the cheek and looked to Alma. "Hold this for me." the book and scrolls were shoved into her hands, dust coating the front of her tunic. Flint pulled the sack open, and pulled out a coin.

The brass was warm in his palm, and Flint focused hard on the magic, coaxing it out. It sparked to life, and Flint dropped it, watching as the space it touched opened. Flint smirked at Alma, and grabbed her hand. "Don't let go, or who knows where you'll end up." And just like that, the two were falling through the portal. It felt like diving into the ocean. The magic curled around the two of them, before dropping them out in a forest, standing in virtually the same spot they had been at the Honey Suckle.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:07 am 

Alma looks from Flint, back to Brooke in a sort of baffled confusion. How is she supposed to relax? Things right now don't exactly warrant rest and relaxation. "Oof, wha?" she murmurs as the objects are thrust into her grasp. The dust gets to her and makes her sneeze quietly. "Wait, what are you doing now?" she questions, really not trusting of his little coins at this point. The next thing she knows, her hand is grabbed and they are in a completely different area. "You have got to stop doing that so suddenly," she groans and looks around. "Please tell me what's going on, you're losing me here," she just sighs. Keeping up with him was a challenge for her. Most everything seemed to be on a whim, and she just doesn't know how handle that.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:42 pm 

Flint gestured around them, and gave her an amused smile, before seeing her face, and frownin, suddenly unsure of himself. Was he in the right place? Did he miscalculate? Then it hit him as she spoke. "You said you wanted to go back to restock, and study that stone, right? Well this is the closet I could get us. It's a few miles away. I just assumed it'd be easier to just port here...I... should have asked, huh?" He gave her a small apologetic smile, and leaned down to scoop up the coin he had used. The magic was no longer trapped inside, it's spell spent, but waste not want not. "I do apologize, that was hasty of me, Alma. I promise I wont do that again with out asking, or at least I'll try." He shoved the coin into his pocket, and took the items back from Alma. "These are text that are very old. Maybe they'll have something about this...whatever it is, now, shall we go?"He motioned for her to lead the way, and just like that his smile was back. "It's south of here. About three miles."

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:20 pm 

Alma looks around once again. Some of the plants did look familiar, but she didn't spend much time out in the forest this far from home, so at a first glance it did seem foreign. "No no, don't apologize it's fine. I just assumed you wouldn't go with my plan, so that's on me," she sighs and approaches him. She puts her hand on his shoulder reassuringly and smiles slightly. "The proper reaction would be to thank you. You may be quick to act but that has helped on multiple occasions today. So Thank you Flint, regardless of my demeanor, I am grateful," she says gently beeped turning from him and looking up to the sky to gain her bearings. "Okay, south," she mumbles to herself and sets off. "If you don't mind be asking, why we're such old texts in a place like that to begin with?" She questions as she walks along.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:08 pm 

Flint followed along, watching the sky with curious eyes, nodding along as she spoke. When she asked of the tomes and scrolls, his eyes flickered to them, the old script jumping out at him. The books were illegal, as were most of Flint's wears and items, but they were important, and he had felt the need, oh so many years ago, when they fell into his hands, to keep them safe. "I deal in selling enchantments, and goods. Stealing is really just a hobby of mine, you see. Those were payment from a client of mine. They're from the lost century, which might make reading them a bit difficult, but they're the only source of information I've got."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:39 pm 

"Really? Well that's quite the reward if I say so myself. I actually studied old linguistics in passing. I by no means am an expert, but I have some books and note that could maybe assist in translation," Alma comments, briefly glancing back at him. It was becoming harder to judge and condemn him when he seemed so noble at heart. They carry on through the woods for a while longer before making it to a beaten dirt path. "Ah! This leads right up to the estate. It's not far now," she sighs with relief and reinvigorates her pace.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:58 pm 

When they reached the beaten path,Flint looked around, checking to make sure the coast was really clear. It seemed like it, but he had a nagging suspicion. Forest were usually calm, but had an ambient sound to them. Bird songs, insects chirping, and other sounds that gave life to the surrounding nature were common, and were easy to forget were there. It was only now, listening closely that Flint noticed why he had a sinking feeling in the pit of his gut. The trees around them were silent. "How long ago did the birds stop singing," He couldn't remember. They had been when they first arrived, but between then and now he couldn't recall. "I don't think it'd be wise to march right on in. This has a stink to it I don't trust. Is there another way in?"

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:33 pm 

"The birds? What do you.." Alma starts but trails off when she becomes aware of the silence. She could have sworn there were birds chirping not too long ago. She notices a slight look of uneasiness on Flint's face and shivers a bit. Things did seem a bit odd. Perhaps there was nothing sinister the matter though. Hopefully that was the case. "Um, yes, there's a door out back if we swing around the house and go through the garden," she answers after a moment. She was now taking care to be much more observant of her surroundings instead of engaging in casual conversation.