All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:02 pm 

Location: I'm in the wind,trees, and rain. Everywhere, yet no where all at once.
Blog: View Blog (0)

"He should already be there,"Vesper said, waving her off. Once she was gone, Vesper went back to her task. It took her another twenty minutes to find Finny. She found him further outside the encampment, leaning against the wall, eyes trained on the city of tents ahead of him. "There you are! I've been looking all over the place for you." Her bright smile faltered when she noticed his face. Throughout the trip here, he had been focused on getting back. He had pushed the pain of loss away, and carried on. Now, however, there was time. Time to take in the grief, and pain.

"...You're not ok." It wasn't a question, and it pulled Finny's attention to her. He didn't speak for a few moments, letting the words hang in the air before he let out a sigh. "No, but neither are you, or anyone, really....I just needed a moment to myself. I went to see some of the other families. Let them know." Finny ran a hand through his hair. When he had gone off the results had been what he'd expected. A mix of anger, and grief. Some of the family blamed him, others themselves, and some the very Gods. He was having a hard time getting the images of their faces, and voices out of his head. He thought Vesper could see and hear them too by the way she looked at him.

"Didn't go well,I take it....Finny..dwelling on the past wont help. What happened, it wasn't your fault. It was the dragon, and Briarwood, and maybe Kerreks, but not because of you,"she said echoing the words Ragnar told her earlier. "I'm still trying to come to terms with it myself, and it's hard, but we didn't know." Vesper gave him a small smile and took hold of his hand. She noted the tremble in them. Finny stared at her, eyes red, swallowing the lump in his throat. She let him go, and just like that the moment was over. "Anyway, Ragnar wants us to go to Farkas. He's gathering up everyone so we can talk about what we can do. I'll lead the way,"she said motioning for him to follow. They arrived last,the tent nearly packed full.

Please excuse my slow replies. I currently work 6 or 7 days a week, and now with Hurricane Irma effecting my county I wont know when I might have access to power next. Hopefully things will get fixed soon. Thank you for understanding!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:07 pm 

The White Wolf Prevails

Brynn nodded before departing, heading towards the tent where the rest of The Seeking Owl are to meet up with Ragnar and Farkas. Once she spotted Merlin, she made her way towards him, weaving her way through the small group that had collected beside the tent. "I think I may have found something." She told him as she led him to the outer brim of the group to show him the shift of language in the last few sections of the leather book. "Recognize this? Vesper said it might be an older dialect of something Elvish. She recognized the words Dragon and Gods." She explained, holding the open book out for Merlin to see.

Meanwhile, Farkas scanned through the mass as he stood beside Ragnar and a few other in the front of the tent. He waited for the rest of them to regroup before he silenced the group with a loud clearing of his throat. "Alright! Listen up, we don't have all day!" The master-at-arms called out, gripping his son's lance in his hands. "We have all seen what this damned dragon has done, we all have ran off with our tails in between legs as this demon tore our families apart and brought our proud city to ruins. It's time to take action and bring down this black dragon. With the strength of numbers, we shall avenge our fallen comrades." Once he finished, he took a step back before he nodding in Ragnar's direction, motioning to take charge.

With that, Ragnar took a step forward, filling the spot where Farkas was standing at moments ago. He began to speak, explaining about the abnormal contract The Seeking Owl was hired to do and how everything started, from how the group of five; Vesper, Merlin, Finny, Brynn, and himself, were uneasy about Briarwood and kept a twenty-four-hour watch on him to how the event unfolded at Vadosa. "We came back here seeking information on both Briarwood and the dragon and to find any survivors. While many did survive, there is all to0 many fallen. We need every able-bodied man and woman in order to have any chances facing this beast."

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:48 am 

Location: I'm in the wind,trees, and rain. Everywhere, yet no where all at once.

When Brynn found her way to the half-elf man, he was seated in the back of the tent, as far from the group as possible, while still being within earshot. At first, he didn't look up from the book he was skimming through. The old tome even thicker than the one she held. After a minute, he marked the page, and looked up at her, registering her word. Merlin took the book from her and looked over the passage."It's old elvish. Written before the Elven culture had one unified language. Before they created cities, and a nation." He turned coy eyes to her, before continuing. "This says something about 'The Time of Fire and Embers'. After we're done here,we'll go through it,"he said, running his fingers over the script, right as Farkas started to address the group.

The group of people, only a few dozen at most, listened intently as the two men spoke and said there peace. Once done, a lanky blonde elf stepped forward, hands curled tightly around a broken sword. "I'm sorry but...there is only a few of us left. The Grand Cleric wouldn't lend aid to our small numbers. How are we meant to fight a dragon,"she asked, her dark eyes shinning with worry. Farkas looked to Ragnar, a deep set frown on his face. He didn't know what to say, but Finny stood forward, and cleared his throat. A few of the men and women gave him cold looks, their blame still not fully casted elsewhere.

"I may have an idea. For those of you who are unaware, I am of a noble house. My family resides in Lordship over Wynnwick, a town in Creyes. If I were to go back, I may be able to persuade the Bannermen to give us aid." he looked the group over, suddenly nervous. The girl before seemed to be mulling the idea over when a large beast of a man stood up, and let out a scoff.

"Creyes is a continent away. That's weeks of sailing, one way, without a for sure promise you can pull this off." The man, a barrel chested orc, crossed his arms, eyes glaring holes into Finny. The group started to murmur in agreement, speaking up with protest. Vesper shoved the orc aside and took the floor. "So what? We don't have very many options. This could be what we need to sway the Grand Cleric, and the council to give us aid. And if not, we get more help and rally the other hundreds of people no doubt decimated by this monster!" Vesper's voice rang out, silencing the crowd. It was a shock to hear her raise her voice,let alone shout. "We have to give it a try,"she said, pleading. "But we might not have weeks,"a voice reasoned, and she couldn't say anything against that. it was true. She was about to give up when a loud groan cut through from the back and Merlin shoved his way to the front. He was agitated, a scowl on his face, as he used magic to pull the orc halfway across the space.

"Show of hands, how many magic users are here right now in this room." A few hesitant hands went up. He counted them. "Good, you lot will help with a transportation spell since you all feel the need to b*tch about it. We are going to do this. Shut your mouths and help or get the hell out of our way, or I'll kill you myself." He ignored the disapproving look he got from Vesper, and stared the group down. "We have limited options. Don't spit in the face of someone trying to help,"he snapped, his patience gone.

Please excuse my slow replies. I currently work 6 or 7 days a week, and now with Hurricane Irma effecting my county I wont know when I might have access to power next. Hopefully things will get fixed soon. Thank you for understanding!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:48 am 

The White Wolf Prevails

Brynn listened attentively to the half-elf as he explained the Elvish language. Her shoulders slouched as she emitted a sigh of relief, it was fortunate that Merlin was able to translate the inscriptions better than Vesper or she could have done. Brynn couldn't understand the text at all and while Vesper could translate a few words, it would be a slow and prolonged process for her to translate and Brynn fears there may be not enough time.

Once Farkas and Ragnar stole the attention of the group and silenced the tent, she turned her attention to the matter at hand, listening to the various of people argue back and forth on what should be done. The Northerner agreed with Finny and Vesper, gathering enough bannermen would be able to persuade the Grand Cleric. She waited until after Merlin had spoken and the tent finally quieted once more before Brynn voiced her opinion. "I can ride to the north. I have my family and contacts I can reason with to give us more men." She told the group. "No one is safe with a dragon about, we are all prey. Surely, they will see even in the far north, the dragon is a threat to them as well." She explained. Her family was part of the founding of The House of Wolves, a group of three lord families that helped keep order in the barren lands of Wulfguards. Brynn's family resides in Reidwoods, the capital city of the small hold. Her family held power there over the bannermen and city guard.

As for contacts, while she stayed in the north for a few years as a mercenary prior to joining The Seeking Owl, she had gained a few favours from the people that owe her for helping them out for protecting them as they travel on roads known for thieves and bandits even while the contractor was short of the gold needed for the contract.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:12 am 

"We have a plan. We'll do this in two trips. I don't think any of us should go alone, and Merlin has that transportation spell. It shouldn't take us long to pop over to visit with Finny's family, Brynn, would you be willing to let us come north with you?" It was Vesper who spoke, stepping closer towards Brynn, her hands clasped and a small smile on her face. She looked over at Merlin, and asked," It shouldn't take you long to cast us between places right?"

"I'll need help but I'm sure there are mages, or wizards within Finny's family's guardsmen." he looked to Finny to conform, and when he received a nod, continued," I can only cast the spell twice per day, though, so don't rely solely on it,"he warned. When no one came up to protest this new plan Farkas took the floor once again. "Than it's settled. You five will go do this, and the rest of us will send word to any we may know, and I will help gather up anyone here in camp who wants to join the cause. My the Gods smile on you."

And with that, the tent emptied out, none daring to speak up against the master-at-arms. When they were alone again, Finny let out a deep breath, not realizing he'd been holding it. Vesper patted his back."Well, that was a little intense."she joked, seeming to be in better spirits now that they had some idea of what to do.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:15 pm 

The White Wolf Prevails

Brynn thought over Vesper's question, hesitantly. "That's fine." She answered after a small reign of silence. "Only a few people should travel North, I don't want our presence noted until we are already at their doorsteps." Brynn explained, glancing around briefly. "However, we should focus primarily on gaining the support of Creyes, they would be more likely be able to give us more men. The North is a large region, towns are scattered. The House of Wolves will put their land first once they see the threat the dragon poses." Brynn added, crossing her arms over her chest as she pondered.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:37 am 

"I must warn you all...My Father and I are...not on good terms. Last I saw him he was cruel, and harsh on the people, having gone cold after my mother's passing. I have no delusions he'll be happy to see me, but he's not an idiot. If he senses the danger this dragon poses he'll send aid,"Finny said, suddenly sounding unsure. In truth, Finny was down playing the circumstances with his father, afraid the others would protest even trying to gain his help, and it took everything within himself to keep that fear off his face. When Vesper gave him a concerned look, he was worried he'd failed to do so.

"I don't know what that would be like, tension in a family, but I'm sure he'll be happy to see you! You're his son,"she said, her hand coming up to touch his arm. Good, she didn't see through him.

"Y-yeah, you're probably right. What do we need before we leave?" he looked to Merlin, questioning what components the mage would require. Merlin thought it over, trying to recall the exact spell, before he spoke. "Not much. You'll need to have a clear image of the place in your mind, and, while I can cast this spell by myself, I'd rather siphon the magic from that lot of whiners as punishment." He crossed his arms, the irritability plain on his face.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:25 pm 

The White Wolf Prevails

Ragnar's posture loosen once most of the people departed, running his hand through his sandy hair, walking over towards Finny and the others. "Then let us pray to the Gods that your lord father can see to reason." The brute told Finny, giving him a small nod. He glanced over his broad shoulder, studying some of the supplies already inside the Master-at-arm's tent. There were damaged shields, armour, and weapons. Most were beyond repair considering the limited tools; however, Ragnar guessed a few could be salvaged.

"Am I needed anywhere?" The brute asked, looking around at the others. "If not and I can find a hammer, I could help arming some of the men here." He explained with a halfhearted shrug.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:05 pm 

"Not right now, no. We'll leave tomorrow morning, so do with your time as you please," Finny said, running his hand through his hair. "We'll meet here when it's time to leave." A yawn left him as he turned to find a place to rest for the night. They had been running on fumes for days now, and it seemed they'd be continuing to do so for the next few weeks. Best to get rest where they could. Vesper watched him walk off, and looked towards Merlin and Brynn.

"So did you ask about the book,"she asked, remembering the passage Brynn showed her earlier. Merlin hummed, attention lost in thought, before he looked at her and nodded. "She did. If you two want to go fine a place to go over it, then lets go. Ragnar wont need us in his way, I'm sure."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:43 am 

The White Wolf Prevails

"Just don't beat yourselves death." Ragnar nodded, rejoining with Farkas, helping him carry pieces of repairable armour and weapons towards a makeshift forge the master-at-arms has been setting up little ways from the tent. While Farkas went to sort through the metals by how long and how challenging it would take to repair them, Ragnar began to warm the coals using the blade of a damaged sword.

Brynn nodded. "Yeah, sure thing." She said, gesturing for Vesper to follow before walking outside of the tent, out of the way of Ragnar and Farkas.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:17 pm 

The three of them found themselves a quiet spot closer towards the outer surroundings of the tent city. After the days exploits, the people around them were winding down, families huddled around fires, and ate quietly, talking amongst themselves. Vesper followed suit, starting a fire for them, and rummaging through her pouch for some rations, passing them out. She noted they were almost gone. She'd need to stock up before they left tomorrow.

"Now, we're nice and comfy, Merlin?"she turned to the mage, who pulled out the large leather bound tome and flipped through the pages, finding the text from earlier. " This is promising... the pages say that over a thousand years ago, a dragon by the name Valdessa ruled the entire southern half of the continent. A powerful beast, said to create ruin, death, and despair. Says here she would bring back the fallen in her domain and use them for an undead army. She was an ancient dragon at the time. Wanted to become a god, she waged war against the Gods, and it says she almost won. Had her hubris not gotten the better of her. She was slain, her body encased within the earth by the god Bromire, and her soul locked away within a soul gem. Says the gods entrusted the gem to a group of devout worshipers, and they hid it away." When he was finished he took a bite of the dried meat he had been given and hummed to himself.

"Do...do you two think it's this dragon? Valdessa? I mean...it come out of a temple of Bromire, right?"

Merlin sighed and shrugged. " Maybe. If it is, maybe it's weaker than what the text says, but I'm going to pray it's not the same dragon. Otherwise, I think we're screwed," he said.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:05 am 

The White Wolf Prevails

Brynn sat down, farther away from the fire compared to the other two while she remained close to the group, listening to the translation of the Elven text patiently as she chewed on the salted meat with distaste.

"There is too many coincidences for my liking," The Northern scratched the back of her head in consternation. "The temple of Bromire in Vadosa. We must be prepared for the worst. I fear that might be that the dragon is Valdessa in a weakened state. Only the Gods knows what will happen if she regains strength." She grabbed her Nordic dagger and began to fidget with the blade as they continued. "Does the text mention anymore about the worshippers?" She asked Merlin after a period of silence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:50 pm 

Merlin flipped through the pages, skimming through the text. When he found nothing he sighed and shook his head. "Nothing other then each individual gods they were devout to. If this dragon is the same from the text, it's beyond ancient in age, and probably very angry." The mage ran a hand through his hair, frustration clear as day on his face. "How are we suppose to kill something that's older than most recorded history?" he was speaking mostly to himself at this point.

"If...if the gods had a play in it before, maybe we should call upon them again? I know you're not the religious type Merlin, but maybe we can visit some temples? Maybe pop over to mine before we leave tomorrow. I would like to check on them, and see if they're alright. We could ask the grand cleric there,"she said, eyes watching the fire dance about.

"I....can send us there,"he said, hesitant in his response. Vesper eyed him oddly, the tension in his voice confusing her, but it seemed best to let it go for now.

"So Temple, then to Finny's home, and rest up, then farther north. Hopefully the dragon will stay east for a while longer."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:10 am 

The White Wolf Prevails

"There is a temple in the Frost-Wulf region near Reidswood. If you believe that the Gods could be in our favour, I will go to my temple."

Brynn drummed her fingers against the dark worn leather of her dagger's handle, a feeling of comfort as her hazel eyes stared into the core of the burning fire, flickering haphazardly

"How is the condition of our resources?" She asked the two, lifting her gaze from the fire. "With pressing matter, how long will we have to prepare ourselves? Shouldn't we divide and conquer more?" She continued, tilting her head to the side as she studied the situation.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:23 am 

"Divide? Ourselves? I don't think it wise. Don't take me for a fool. I am not suggesting we head straight into fighting this beast with no means to do so, but splitting up is risky. There is an obvious following this dragon has, and it's apparent we know nothing about them. They could be anyone, and while I'm sure you'll keep tight lip about this, you would still need to explain the situation to your family, or whom ever. They may be in league with her." He looked her in the eye, his gaze intense, and piercing.

" We will go, gather the numbers we need, build up our armies, and talk to the Gods, if they truly can help us. Right now we have something to go on, at least. As far as resources go, we have virtually none. A handful of men wont do a thing in killing this monster, but we stick together." Merlin leaned back against the stone wall of the cave, and traced the spine of the book still in his lap.

"I understand where you are coming from, Brynn. But, I think Merlin is right. This was a thought out plan from somewhere. They're are people who seem to worship her. So much so that they'd die for her, but.... Attacking head on, even with an army isn't an ideal plan. It's obvious that while we build up an army of our own, she'll be doing the same. She may be weakened, but I doubt the time away from this plain has dulled her wit. We'll have to come up with a plan of attack when we are ready, but that can wait,"Vesper said, waving her hand in front of her face as if to put the discussion away for later. They had to start from the bottom first, she knew, and a plan, no matter how air tight, was useless with out the numbers to back it up. " I don't think she's any where near as strong as she was before."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:34 am 

The White Wolf Prevails

Brynn gave a small nod, fidgeting with the dagger in her hands as she lightly chewed on the bottom of her lip mindlessly. "Fair enough, let's just pray things will go well with the nobles." She muttered, her golden flecked eyes lifted from their stone gaze at the fire to the city of tents, watching the survivors began to settle down for the night. "And what of Kerrek?" She asked abruptly. "Farkas told us he was in league with the dragon but how? Why would he become one of the dragon's worshipers?"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:22 am 

Merlin shrugged, stretching out besides the fire. " Maybe he always was a part of it? I'm sure resurrecting a long dead false goddess is something you have to raise money for. Probably where most of the companies gold went." He snorted at his own humor and flopped down, before continuing."Anyway, does it matter? If we find him, you can ask him yourself. I must admit I am curious to hear his reasoning,"he said. " Maybe it'll be good enough to keep Finny and Ragnar from slicing his head off."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:01 am 

The White Wolf Prevails

"I don't necessarily care for his reasonings, I just want to understand him." Brynn explained as she shifted her full attention to Merlin. "Kerrek sent us all to die so I wouldn't mind if they rip him to shreds but we could use his involvement to our advantage. If Kerrek is a worshipper, there might be more within The Seeking Owl and that's how we can get them."

"As you all said, we can't attack the dragon head on, even with all the bannermen we could possibly muster while Valdessa is still in her weakened state." She paused with a frown, trying to collect her thoughts well enough to explain. "We need to cut of the supplies of the worshippers, weaken the worshippers. They are probably how the dragon is going to regain her former strength and we can use Kerrek to do that."

"I don't know many officers of The Seeking Owl but if the dragon's influence was powerful enough to get Kerrek involved, there has to be more. Maybe some of his higher ups? Kerrek has show his betrayal but there might be others who haven't shown their true colours."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:28 am 

Merlin hummed in agreement as she spoke. Her points were valid, and if he were being honest, they were things he hadn't thought of himself....though he wouldn't admit that. Once she was done speaking he thought it over, trying to remember who Kerrek kept close. "The only people he relied on were Finny, Farkas, and those two pompous sorts. Vesper, do you remember their names?" He looked to Vesper, who had been listening intently. "That would be Lady, and Lord Cromwell. They are heirs to the Cromwell family. You, know, those Merchant lords from the east? Didn't see them at the meeting, and they did stay behind when we were sent out on delivery." She said thinking back when the request was first made. The Lady Cromwell had sniffed, her noise up in the air, and refused to offer hers, or her brothers aid in the job. She had assumed it was because the two thought they were above such a job.

Merlin pulled a face of distaste at the name. Yes, now he recalled. Tobais, and Fiona Cromwell were, to put it nicely, self important, and utterly self centered, pompous louts. Most of the company regarded them as bored nobles who were employed only by the grace of their fathers money, which many assumed bought them into Kerreks close circle, now however, it seemed they could have been apart of this mess. "If it's anyone it would be them, wouldn't it. Should be go find them, you think?"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:55 am 

The White Wolf Prevails

Brynn bobbed her head in a nod as she listened to the two converse attentively with a genuine smile on her face. It felt good to have a solid understanding of the events that unfolded in the days prior. "It wouldn't hurt to check the Cromwells. It's the best lead we got." She answered with a shrug. Despite not being able to recall any encounters with the nobles, Brynn thought it could be likely that the two are with Kerrek and the dragon. The Cromwells were probably another way for Kerrek to gain funds without too much suspicion.

"We could do what we did with Briarwood, watch and study from a distance. Finny should be the ones to talk to the Cromwells once we are sure about them. They would trust Finny more than they would trust any of us."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next