All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hearken Heroes!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:04 am 

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ Cruel and Unusual ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Blog: View Blog (5)

Riverside was a small village in the middle of nowhere particularly significant, but on the way to many important places. The constant flow of caravans, royal guards, and ragtag misfit adventurers provided the village ample protection from danger, and the village provided them with ample victuals, cozy sleeping arrangements, and a bit of rustic entertainment.

This rainy day, several fledgling adventurers found themselves at The Nook & Cranny, the smaller of the town's two inns, which focused on the common clientele who couldn't be bilked for extra coin. It was simple and wasn't luxurious, but the beds were soft and warm, and the food and drink were good. The scents of beef stew, baked apples, and spiced rum filled the common room, as did the songs of a bard in the corner, trying to earn themselves a few extra coins or at least a free meal.

A few locals were busy discussing current events. They tended to hear a little bit of everything from the travelers. War in the southern principalities. A scandal where the queen of some land to the north committed adultery with the court jester. Reports of monster attacks along the edges of the untamed plains to the west. Waves of civil unrest from the empire to the east whose ripples were being felt even here. Word had it that the king of this land, Penlyn, was trying to shore up the borders to prevent any serious spilling over of these conflicts.

The "work board" in one corner was barren. Despite troubles brewing, business was slow, and a recent rush of desperate adventurers had taken up all the freelancing jobs in the area.

There'd been a particularly notable lull in activity today, but a small group of horsemen wearing the king's gold-and-teal hinted that things were about to get more interesting. They stomped through the mud and dismounted, their leader signalling for one to get the horses accommodated. They started making their way to the inn.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
 Post subject: Re: Hearken Heroes!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:40 pm 

Blog: View Blog (1)

Norah sighed as she sat with her companion-in-arms on the front porch of the inn, glancing over at her friend. The main thing to be thankful for, she thought to herself, brushing back a loose lock of blonde hair that had escaped from her braid, is that she's inexpensive to feed. Myrri was perched on a fence post, preening her brown feathers of bits of the rabbit she had caught and eaten before they got into town. It had taken ages to understand why she did that instead of bathing, until one night a few weeks ago when she had finally convinced the avian to sleep in a bed. Within the span of a few hours they had both woken up to Myrri's thrashing, and the girls had started running her excessively sharp fingernails(more like claws, really) through her plumage, extracting the customary lice that accompanied the cheap beds they could afford. Norah, not having feather, could simply heat her clothes by a fire to get rid of them, but feather couldn't be treated the same way, and bath water, no matter how hot, wouldn't get rid of them either. The added con was that her feathers lost too much of their natural oil in the soapy water. So Norah begrudgingly admitted that Myrri was free from full baths, though she insisted on a washcloth for the girl's naked flesh.

The priest shook her head, wondering why the heck she had remembered that just now. She had more pressing concerns, like where they were going to find the coin to keep them alive and presentable. While Myrri was all for continuing to hunt for sustenance, Norah had a mission, and it did not include disappearing into the wilds. Aside from that, her dietary requirements as a human were far more stringent than the flying carnivore's were. Having learned of the lack of employment from the others inside, they had shared a meal with those suffering the same misfortune(a halfling, a gnome, an elf, and another human like her, though maybe even more uncivilised than she was). They had excused themselves so Myrri could clean off without disturbing the locals' meals, though Norah had taken the opportunity to think, as well. Her hands, feeling to idle, fell to her whetstone and she began absent-mindedly sharpening her blade, not really caring how intimidating she might be to villagers. They were probably used to it, anyhow.

"So," chirped her friend. "How we gonna make it herr?" Norah grimaced. They still had a long way to go for Myrri to be fluent in her speech.

"Here, and I don't know." She paused her task to boot a pebble out into the muddy street. "Perhaps we should press on, but I don't know that work is going to be any more plentiful even in the capital. At this point, maybe we should just become farmers. Seems like the only occupation still hiring."

Myrri laughed, an odd warbling gurgle mixed with what normal people would consider a chuckle. Several villagers nearby looked at her more intently, then moved on. "How farm I, No-rah? I no good at landwork."

Norah grinned. "I dunno, crow. I could always use you as an emergency food supply, eh? If the crops fail, I can still have roast turkey."

"Brawk! I am no a turkey, No-rah! Not a crow, no!" Then Myrri caught on. "Oh, is joke." She scowled at the highlander. "I thought those supposed to make laugh."

Norah grinned wider. "And I thought you hadn't gotten the hang of ribbin' yet. Oh, who's this, then?"

They both turned to look at the liveried soldiers coming their direction from the inn's stables, Norah gripping the hilt of her blade a bit tighter. She knew full well that, while Myrri wasn't necessarily an illegal creature, the soldiers were not likely to take kindly to her appearance, no matter how pretty her face might or might not be. She herself was looking somewhat worse for the road, as well, so respect was not likely for her, either. While she didn't want to make them fugitives, she certainly wasn't going to take unwarranted abuse from strangers, uniforms or not. Both companions eyed each other warily, and by silent agreement moved back inside the drker and slightly warmer confines of the inn, making their way to the tables their dining partners had been at. Norah motioned with her thumb behind her as she resheathed her sword and slid into her seat, saying, "Looks like official business, mates. Might be trouble round these parts, which might mean coin, eh?" Myrri, perching somewhat awkwardly on a stool next to her, looked mildly worried, though she always did indoors.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:17 am 

Medals: 3
Adaptive (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (0)

Elizabeth sat by her self in the corner of the room, her weapon leaning against the wall beside her. The knight was quietly watching the room, making sure no one was causing any trouble for anyone. Though Elizabeth was in the same boat as many of those in the inn with her, she had gone looking for work, yet every paying job worth a damn had been taken. Many of the low key jobs that offer nothing more then a place to sleep and maybe a meal had been taken as well. She wouldn't like to admit it, but it seemed that no matter where she went there were people in need. If only she was in some kind of position to help these people like she once was.

A few years ago the young knight had risen to fame in the ranks of the kings army, in a few small battles Elizabeth would show off her skills, which eventually lead her to gaining control of a small band of her own men in the army. Though many didn't like the fact that a woman was able to climb the ranks faster then a man. In no short time, Elizabeth's world had came crushing down around her, with more then enough of the blame on her side as well. Maybe it was for the better though, the young woman had gotten to seem much more of the world then she thought she would see. Made a few friends, lean a few new tricks and such, even a few flings, with a soft sign Elizabeth leaned back against the wall.

As the thoughts and memories of old friends and events flew through Elizabeth's head, the door to the inn opened. Another woman and what looked like a harpy came in, followed by a small group of the kings men. Interest peaked the girls attention, watching the men to see what they may do. Hoping they weren't there for her.

---------------

On the other side of the room sat Andre. He had only been at the in and indeed the village a few hours before he had some how made some drinking buddies. One of them was a harpy, which he would have rather killed, but the woman she was with had convinced him, and the others not to. Which he still wasn't to sure how she did, yet said nothing of the matter to the others that were still at the table with him.

Taking a long drink from his dark ale, before he would look to the others, a halfling, a gnome, and a elf. He knew next to nothing about them, nor did they know anything about him. He aimed to keep it that way for as long as possible. Yet the quiet was starting to get to him, the large man did not like when things were to quiet with so many people around.

"How about a story eh? Anyone know any good ones?" He looked from each of the party members, waiting for one of them to respond. No one would get to start, as the woman and her harpy friend came back in, not long after Knights men came in as well. Which could spell trouble, that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world though. It would at least give him another story to tell if he ever goes home.

"Wha'd think they want? Nothing out here for the king but farms and some taxes."

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:10 pm 

Rping on Weekends!

Hero of the Month (1) Longest RP (1)
1st Year (1)

Gilmore, with what little ale there was left in his mug cupped gently in his hands and a slight glimmer in his keen gnomish eyes, he tilted his head ever so slightly to the larger of his current human companions, Andre, and quickly calculated various probabilities, "Able bodies most likely." The deep gnome spoke quietly, his accent crisp and clear but the tone deep and craggy as he glanced back and forth from kingsmen to the now returned priest and her 'pet' as they took their seats.
"And as Norah has deduced, whatever it is most likely means coin, and I love me a bit of coin." the purple-robed wizard stated with a flash of bright pearly whites.

"Coin? Coin is good, very good." The small halfling perched next to him quipped sleepily, speaking for what seemed to be the first time since they had sat here.

"Ah, they speak!" Gilmore jested looking at the cloaked halfling who finally lifted their head up from the oak table and looked as though they had finally snapped out of some sort of daze.

The small cloaked halfling with a quiver and bow laying at rest by their side had been sitting here alone at the table prior to this motley crew being formed. All other tables in this establishment had been fully occupied so after some distracted albeit agreeable sounding mumbling from them, Gilmore had taken his seat by them and invited the others he saw without a place to sit or other company to join them. He hadn't even caught the drowsy strangers name or profession.

"Ah, yes. Pardon me for my silence, the entertainment here is sub par and I swear I was falling asleep in me seat." The... boy?.... girl? smiled a little sheepishly towards those sitting at the table before the dark-haired halfling blinked for a moment rubbing at their eyes and straightened out their back.
"Umm... when did so many others join this table?" they asked seeming more than a little puzzled, big brown eyes wide open.

"Seems like you had too much to drink, friend." Gilmore let out a throaty chuckle, "...Then again, are ye even old enough to drink?" the gnome questioned looking at the halflings youthful features wondering if they were, in fact, a child.

"Life is composed of light and shadows, and we would be untruthful, insincere, and saccharine if we tried to pretend there were no shadows"

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:15 am 

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ Cruel and Unusual ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Blog: View Blog (5)

The leader of the men stepped forth with a hearty clank. He was stubbly, stocky man, with creased, tanned skin. "I'm Captain Wendell of the King's Riders. I'm scouring for a band of desperate souls to lend their aid to king and country in a mission of utmost importance."

The rest of the men made their way along the wall to a table in the corner and motioned for a server while their boss made his recruitment spiel. They didn't want to appear too intimidating by looming about the common room.

A few of the other patrons looked his way, but continued with their drinks, their meals, their games. Noticing the lack of response, he stomped over to the notice board and looked at the lack of job postings. "Not much here for adventurer's looking for a living. It'd be an incredible opportunity to work for the crown... a sizable monetary reward, and the promise of consistent future employment, if you so choose."

He set his hands on his hips and tried to grin cordially. "Mind, we're not recruiting for the army, or for some kind of bandit hunting posse. Things are changing. The crown is sending calls out to all corners of the kingdom for freelancers, a decentralized, part-time network of agents to keep an eye out on troubles brewing. The more conventional agents of the crown are busy with the established towns and outposts. But we're looking to found new strongholds. Re-explore corners of our country that have lain forgotten for too long. Reclaim artifacts of our heritage from the lost cities of our predecessors. In fact, there's a ruin not too far from these parts with some treasures of the old kingdom that the king would like recovered. A simple task, that would prove your worth to take on more important tasks."

He takes a few steps back towards the door and folds his arms.

"Any takers?" He scans around the room. He nods at Andre. "How about you, good sir? You look like you can handle just about anything out in the woods. Maybe you got some friends you can bring with you?"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:48 am 

Adaptive (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1)

Andre scoffed as the knight as he called him a sir, he then turned to the man. "Ich bin kein Herr, aber krank mit dir." he said in his original Norse language, though the large man stood up. "Yeah I'll join, but don't call me sir, it's a bit annoying." He picked up his weapons, putting them into there place before walking towards the knight. Crossing his arms as he stood infront of him, rising a eye brow. Andre realized that no one else was coming, so he turned back to the table he was sitting at. "Well, come on. There is a bit of coin involved, plus we could maybe meet the king, maybe even the princess." Andre laughed softly, as he waited to see who else would join him up front.

The large man, who in truth wasn't to thrilled to be anywhere near these knights of the king, was growing rather impatient with no one joining him. Mostly he didn't want the Knights to find out who he was, as he had a bounty on his head in many different cities and towns around the kingdom that they were in.

----------

Once the large man had stood up and joined the lined of knights, who seemed to question why there captain would pick such a rough looking man to join them. Though Elizabeth could see why the captain choose him, he was big, tough, rather rough, most likely could hold his own in a fight. Though the langue he spoke to the captain was a rather odd one, she had never heard it before. The knight gave a soft shrug, it could come in handy she was sure.

Once she realized no one else was going to get up, she stood up and walked over to the group. "I'll join you, though the pay better be good, other wise you can count me out." She said, crossing her arms. Her armour looking much like the knights standing in row, with a few changes here and there though.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:03 pm 

Rping on Weekends!

Hero of the Month (1) Longest RP (1)
1st Year (1)

"Ey, I'll be joining, my large friend. No need to get your knickers in a twist." The deep gnome spoke up as he downed the remaining beer and hopped down from the stool. As he stood straight the wizard brushed off his deep purple robes, plucking off any stray threads and flashed the lady knight a sharp toothy grin, "That statment runs true for me as well, Madame.... Gold is the prefered payment lads." he said truning the sharp smile towards the officers now.
----------------
"I'll be coming as well." the Halfing spoke up now, an odd bit eager glint in thier eyes. "And for your information, sir," the Halfing said pointedly towards Gilmore, "I am more than of age. I'm no child." the Halfing glared now picking up thier bow and quiver of arrows. Standing tall and proud the Halfing now despite their looks had the air of one who was seasoned with combat. Gilmore raised a brow in question but said nothing more.

"You say this is from the king and we're being payed? I'm all in then." Asher said thinking of what they had already lost. At this point there was nothing left to lose, desperation and anger has set in and burned out long ago. All that was left was a glimmer of hope.

"Life is composed of light and shadows, and we would be untruthful, insincere, and saccharine if we tried to pretend there were no shadows"