All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2017 Reading thread
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:06 am 

Sort of back.

Medals: 16
Longest RP (1) Completed RP (2)
Dedicated Partner (1) Most Patient (3)
Blog: View Blog (59)

Okay, this is ridiculously late, but let's do this anyway, right?

Basically, the usual "What are you reading?" thread for the year. It works for stuff you have read recently too.

I will use this basic template:

Title:
Author:
Plot blurb (no spoilers):
Your comment on it:

But whoever wants to drop by can just say whatever. And now for the book I'm reading (and I hope I can read much more this year than I did last year).

Title: Death on the Nile
Author: Agatha Christie
Plot blurb (no spoilers): A rich heiress is traveling on her honeymoon and turns up murdered inside a ship. As the present detective (Hercule Poirot) starts digging for the truth, he finds out more than one person would have a motive for the murder. And I can't really say much more because I'm still in the process of reading the book.
Your comments on it: So far, I basically suspect nearly everyone, though I have a very strong suspect in my notes already and believe I've caught my person this time (this is my favorite part of crime novels). Even if I am wrong, it's a very entertaining book, with fun characters, and I highly recommend it. You all can take it with a grain of salt, though, as I'm a big fan of Agatha's novels.
Update: I was right and wrong. I had the right killer, but the wrong motive, and definitely the wrong means.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
 Post subject: Re: 2017 Reading thread
View Likes PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:58 pm 

It's my party, and I'll cry if I want to

Owner

Location: Within the darkest recesses of your mind, plucking at your heartstrings.
Medals: 8
Dedicated Partner (1) Creative (1)
1st Year (1) 2nd Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (15)

Title: Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, Book 1)

Author: Cassandra Clare

Plot blurb (no spoilers): When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray crosses the ocean from New York to find her brother, her destination is London, the time is the reign of Queen Victoria, and something terrifying is waiting for her in London's Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gaslit streets.

Your comments on it: So far, I'm very intrigued. As I was already a fan of the "Shadowhunter Chronicles", when I heard that she'd made a prequel trilogy, I had to look into it. I've not gotten too far in yet, so I'll have to update my thoughts as I go, but I'm excited to see where this goes as the first couple chapters already have me hooked.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:59 am 

Sort of back.

Medals: 16
Longest RP (1) Completed RP (2)
Dedicated Partner (1) Most Patient (3)
Blog: View Blog (59)

And another one:

Title: Maigret in Holland (Un Crime en Hollande in the original French title), 1931
Author: Georges Simenon
Plot blurb (no spoilers): Commissioner Jules Maigret goes to a small town in the Netherlands to investigate the murder of an apparently perfectly respectable teacher.
Your comment on it: I won't go too far on the blurb, since the book is really short, less than 150 pages. I really like Maigret, he's a very interesting character. The crime itself and the secrets it reveals are very enticing too, and I have a pretty long list of suspects for now, without any one really strong lead. For those who like mystery novels, I highly recommend this one.
Update: Finished the book, and got one of my theories right. Moving on to the next later this week.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:26 am 

OK, this looks bad.

Blog: View Blog (11)

Title: The Lovely Bones
Author: Alice Sebold
Plot blurb (no spoilers): It is the story of a teenage girl who, after being murdered, watches from her personal Heaven as her family and friends struggle to move on with their lives while she comes to terms with her own death.
Your comment on it: This book is very powerful. I'd never cried reading a book until this one. Alice Sebold has a way of taking extremely violent and horrific scenes and describing them in a very plain and matter-of-factly way that it almost makes them... not worse but just surreal and powerful. I can't really explain it, but it's really well written. I was shaken to the core by this book, but I couldn't put it down. Usually I read Comedy or Fantasy so this was a massive step out of my comfort zone and I'm glad I did it!

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:20 pm 

the stars look very different today ★

Medals: 5
Original RP (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) Most Helpful Member (1)
Blog: View Blog (0)

The Road 8.5/10, -1.5 points for being depressing

The High Mountains of Portugal 8/10. Two straight-forward narratives and one bat crazy one nestled in the middle.

The Peculiar Miracles of Antoinette Martin 4/10 had a ton of cliche phrases, poorly constructed romance, bad ending, and lack of a core theme. Could have been really good, but wasn't.

The Eyre Affair (again) 10/10 one of my favourite books. Funny, unique, engaging.

The Naturalist 8.5/10 beautiful to read, with lovely visuals and realistic characters.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:40 pm 

Bored

Medals: 3
Longest RP (1) 1st Year (1)
Gif Hunt Participant! (1)
Blog: View Blog (2)

Title: The Testing
Author: Joelle Charbonneau
Plot blurb (no spoilers): Post-Disaster U.S. 16-year-old Malencia Vale has been chosen for The Testing. The Testing is a program that selects the best and brightest new graduates to become the possible leaders of the United Commonwealth (Post-U.S.A.). Told to "trust no one" by her father she heads to the capital city far from her family and friends, perhaps forever. Can she pass the Testing?
Your comment on it: I really like reading these post-U.S. books because each one is different from the other. This is a trilogy series and I thought it was a great read. The length is not bad, which makes it a good book to read on a road-trip or if you have some time on your hands. Definitely an 9/10 read.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:54 pm 

Blog: View Blog (1)

Just finished "Dragon Teeth" by Michael Crichton. My favourite author of all time, but I was a bit jaded when it comes out a decade after his death. These unfinished manuscripts make you wonder. I read "Micro" which was his last "unfinished" release and it was a bit disappointing. This one though was about a turn of the century expedition to the wild west to look for Dinasaur bones, and the main character gets separated and ends up in Deadwood. So, its easy to see how he used some of his research as preparation for "Jurassic Park" and added in some well known Wild West legends. Not a terribly long book but that's all right, but I paced myself because I was disappointed when I finished. That may be the last new Crichton book I get to read. Overall it was a very good book, but if you are not a big Crichton fan you will probably just think its a decent book.

I have now started Gillian Flynn's "Sharp Objects". I have read "Gone Girl" and really enjoyed it so have high hopes for this one. So far, its a good start.

I did try and read the Tales of Edgar Allan Poe but only got through the first 2 stories in the collection "King Pest" and "MS. in a Bottle". Didn't really enjoy it. Trying to stretch myself and read some of these book club books my Grandma passed down to me, and thought this would be a good start. Maybe I'll go back to it but skip to the Pit and the Pendulum or Fall of the House of Usher or Masque of the Red Death. We'll see.