All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: The Time of the Embers
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:42 pm 

Location: I'm in the wind,trees, and rain. Everywhere, yet no where all at once.
Blog: View Blog (0)

A light breeze blew through the city streets, the early morning crowd slowly making there way towards respected shops, farmlands, or other such businesses. Mornings were much the same here in Cairah, than any other city. A predictable routine, ran on auto pilot.
Mundane. Vesper had grown to despise the ordinary. After so long of moving about, perhaps that's why she took this job. Seeing the world was anything but ordinary. Travelling was the very essence of adventure! Or, so she had thought all those years ago on her first job.
Now, however, even the travel, and expected fights along the way were boring, and today was proving to be the same.

With a huff, she flopped down onto the outer wall of The Seeking Owl's gate, earning a side long look from her fellow courier, a stout dwarven woman named Talia.

"What has you in a slump this morning, my girl,"

Craning her neck back to look at the bearded woman, another huff left her. "Just bored. I mean really, we haven't had an interesting job in ages! And, while I love the travel, it's so....Predictable,"she threw her hands into the air to emphasize her point. Talia chuckled, and took a seat besides her, running a hand through her hair as she did.

"you know, if you keep thinking like that, you might just get a bigger adventure than you want. How's that saying go? 'Be careful what you wish for'?"

The red head pouted, and went to say something when she paused. She knew that head of curls anywhere. Hoping off the wall she rushed over to the mage, pulling him to her chest in a tight hug.

"Merlin! Where have you been? Haven't seen you for weeks,"she smiled down at him, ignoring the sour look he gave her.

"I just got back from a delivery. Bunch of us did," he gestured to the small group walking up behind him."Was suppose to be off today, but the boss says we have an important job. Have no idea what it is, but apparently the sorry noble paid for the lot of us," side-stepping her, he walked ahead to follow the rest of the group.

"Oh! Is that today," Vesper asked, falling in step besides him easily."Kerrek didn't mention what the package was?"

"A fine broach, or something. Kerrek didn't bother to ask more, and I doubt the man would have told him anything else anyway. I bet it's some magical item. Boss charges more for that. Stingy ****ing' noble," Vesper chuckled at him, and poked his side, before saying:"You think he really just wants to avoid a fee? I think that's silly," Merlin gave her a deadpan look "Have you ever actually talked to a noble?"

"I talked to Finny,"

"Yes, and he's an arrogant prick,"

"Merlin! That's mean, he's not that bad."

The half-elf ignored her, casting one final look towards her, as he continued on towards the main office. Vesper shook her head softly, a small smile on her face. He was too obvious. With a sigh she pushed ahead to stand in the office, along side all the other party members. It was odd how many people were going, she noted. At least two dozen, or more. This broach must be really expensive. Behind his desk sat their boss, a large bulky half-orc, Kerrek. He looked up as the room filled, and, once satisfied, stood up and motioned towards a tall human man with dark eyes, and greying hair.

"This is Lord Briarwood. He's hired us to accompany him to Vadosa. As you all know, that is a week long trip, and bandits tend to stakeout the roads to the city. Which is why, Lord Briarwood has requested so many of you. You all know your jobs, so I expect you to do it. Finny, here,"he gestured as the man walked up to him"will be in charge, he has a copy of the contract if any of you want to ****ing about the travel, and remember, keep the client safe, and alive. Now, that's it, head out to get you gear, and come back once you're done," He turned his back on them to help further his point, and with that everyone left to do as he instructed.

Please excuse my slow replies. I currently work 6 or 7 days a week, and now with Hurricane Irma effecting my county I wont know when I might have access to power next. Hopefully things will get fixed soon. Thank you for understanding!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:37 pm 

The White Wolf Prevails

Ragnar lingered towards the front of the group of couriers as they headed to the office to receive their orders and more information on the latest contract. As he entered the room, the sight of another courier already in the room caught the attention of his cobalt eyes. He recognized the female as Brynn, one of the newer recruits of The Seeking Owl. She was leaned back, her leg prompted up against the wall with her arms folded just below her chest. He could tell she was conversing with the half-orc prior, falling silent as the first of the group entered.

Ragnar shrugged his broad shoulders dismissively, it didn't matter much to him. He continued to listen to Kerrek as he spoke, the name of the destination peaked his interest. Vadosa, eh? He thought with his signature dim-witted smirk. Great, a week long trip with bandits casing the roads? Couldn't much better in Ragnar's eyes. He would never dismiss a chance to cave a few skulls in.

Once the briefing was over, the two dozen or so couriers began to file out, Ragnar trailing behind them. The female remained, to continue the conversation, he assumed, for she was already equipped with light armour, her bronze sword hanging at her waist.

He returned to the office after he geared up in steel heavy armour and a dark blue cloak that ran from his shoulders all the way down to the ground. The hilt of his broadsword, Isenfier, loomed over his head, the length of the blade was too long to be carried at the waist. The finely forged blade was steel, reinforced with carbon. He crossed his arms over his chest as he stood motionlessly at the back of the room, the only movement from the brute was either the impatient tapping of his foot or the rhythmic rise and fall of his burly chest, matching the flow of his breathing.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:14 pm 

Location: I'm in the wind,trees, and rain. Everywhere, yet no where all at once.

Once everyone was back inside, Kerrek gave a cursory look about the group, and leaned against his desk."Alright, all set, Finny,"he asked turning to look as the man did a walk around, checking gear, and weaponry. He gave a nod when he was done, letting Kerrek know everyone was fit to travel. Kerrek pushed from his desk, picking up a brown package, and handing it over to him.

"This doesn't leave your side till it is with in the city, understood?" Finny gave a nod, and placed it with in his pack before turning to address the group.

"Alright, listen up. You all know how to do your jobs. Do them. I want no crap flung about on the road, you hear me?This includes random fireballs grazing the backside of your fellow couriers. I wont buy that'missed my mark' crap either" his eyes seem to look directly at Merlin, who smirked and leaned back against the wall, hand resting on the book hooked to his side. Vesper jabbed the mage in the side, and motioned for Finny to go on.Finny held back his sigh, and continued."Lord Briarwood was generous to give us extra time on this trip, just in case any bandits want to turn this expedition tits up. We shouldn't need it. Now I'm placing the Lords personal well being,"here he took a pause, and glanced at the group,eyes landing on the pale girl,who was still seated by the desk."Brynn. You're still new here, but you've got plenty of years of experience under your belt. Briarwood will be your problem, if any fights break out you're to protect him."

Please excuse my slow replies. I currently work 6 or 7 days a week, and now with Hurricane Irma effecting my county I wont know when I might have access to power next. Hopefully things will get fixed soon. Thank you for understanding!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:17 pm 

The White Wolf Prevails

Brynn glanced up at Finny as she was titled Lord Briarwood's personal guard. She nodded, completely neglecting any form of a verbal response. Her arms dropped to her sides as she pushed herself upright with her foot that was prompted up against the wall. She was ready to head out, eager to prove herself to the group of couriers; however, she kept a neutral expression as she surveyed the group, mute.

Seriously? Ragnar thought with distaste, eyeing the silent female, Brynn. Out of two dozen or so couriers, Finny picked the new girl? Experience or not, shouldn't they have picked someone else?

Ragnar impulsively went to speak out against Finny's decision before he immediately paused, thinking better than to question it, not wanting to get his pay cut. He bit his tongue with a low huff of annoyance.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:33 am 

It seemed he wasn't the only one to feel that way, as a few murmurs broke out from the back of the room. Finny frowned, and crossed his arms."Do you lot have a problem with my decision?" An older human man stepped up, and into the shorter mans space. "Sorry if I seem a bit p!ssy about it, sir," he said, obviously not happy.

"I just think it's bull. pickin' some little girl from the north who's been with us, what? A month?" He waved his hand towards Brynn."You have all these fine, senior soldiers, and you choose her,"

"Not your call, Varn. Mine. So back.Down,"Finny spat through clenched teeth.

The two glared at each other. Varn was at least a decade older than Finny, large and scarred. No one could deny he was strong, but he wasn't one to follow orders, and it was obvious he was sore about more than Brynn being made personal guard to Briarwood. Possibly about being looked over for the lead position, and every passing second seemed to thicken the air with a ripe anger.

Merlin's groan from the back of the group broke the tension in the air. Shoving himself to the front, he turned bored eyes on the two of them.

"Alright, either shut it, and lets move on, or whip 'em out and get this p!ssing contest over with. I'm bored, and would like to hurry up with this contract so I can get paid, and take my damn break." besides him, Vesper tried not to laugh. Varn turn his gaze to the two of them, and a look of disgust came over his face, before he huffed and backed down, storming out the room to wait by the front gate. The group watched his retreating back.

A loud slam caught their attention, and from the desk Kerrek glowered. A few whimpers floated through the crowd. "Finny, Brynn is a fine choice for Briarwood's personal guard. Add on one or two more, I don't need him dieing on you. You know how those kinds of nobles are,"

Kerrek waved his hand, suddenly looking less formidable than before. " Alright, off with you lot. Remember, be careful," And with that he straightened and turned his back to the rest of them. Finny nodded, thinking it over as he motioned for the group to follow. Once everyone was out of the room, the door closed on it's own, and locked.

"....Ragnar, Vesper. You two help Brynn with the Lord, Merlin, you're the only magic user we have, so I'll need you with me,"Finny said, looking to the three briefly before continuing on. They were setting out soon.

Outside, the day was getting close to mid-morning. The group were finishing up last minute preparation, when Vesper bounced over to the two humans. She was brimming with energy. " Well! This seems like it'll be fun! Hello, I don't think we've all really met? I'm Vesper Valiar,"she held out a hand to each of the two, smiling brighter than the midday sun.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:51 pm 

The White Wolf Prevails

Brynn scowled at the older human she now knows as Varn. She knew better than to get involved, after all, she had no reputation here and the only person that could vouch for her was the ones to recruit her. However, it wouldn't be much of a help, it seemed, their decision was already being questioned by the fellow couriers. Despite her lack of involvement, her hazel eyes remained fixed on Varn even as he rushed out the office, her eyes saying the words she held back. Do you have a problem? 'Do you doubt my experience and skill?' They demanded.

Ragnar watched the dispute, mirthfully, before he left just behind the group. "Aye, sir." He nodded at Finny with a grin as he was told he would also being protecting the Lord, pleased. Once outside, he watched a red headed half-elf approached.

We? He thought, briefly puzzled before he glanced over his shoulder, somewhat surprised to see Brynn standing behind him. He didn't even hear her approach. Brynn stood, eyeing the two studiously before she made a quick departure, ignoring the half-elf. She was eager to be on the road, not wanting to wait to prove people like Varn wrong.

"Strange lass, that one is.." Ragnar mumbled before he extended his hand to shake Vesper's. "Ragnar Aksel." He replied. "It's a pleasure."

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:05 pm 

"Oh, I don't think she's odd....Just a bit unsure of everyone,"Vesper said, turning to watch Brynn retreat, smiling softly to herself. I'll win you over yet, she thought before turning that bright smile towards Ragnar again. Her other hand came up to clasp over his, "Pleasure's all mine. You know I've heard a bit about you. Wanted to talk with you, but you're always out on some mission,"she said, pulling her hands back.

"I also seem to just miss you,"Vesper chuckled, putting her hands behind her back. " But now I get the chance, so I hope you and I can get along," behind her a few couriers finished loading on the last of the supplies to a wagon. Vesper's ears twitched at the sound of a loud whistle, and turned towards Finny, who was standing next to Lord Briarwood by the front entrance. immediately, Vesper noticed how...impatient the lord looked. They had so much time to get to the dwarven city. Why was he so antsy?

That's rather odd...Her eyes studied the man more, trying to read him, but she couldn't get anything. Perhaps he's nervous about the travel?She shook out of her thoughts when Finny called for her, as well as Brynn and Ragnar.

"Lord Briarwood, these three will be with you every step of the way. If you have any questions feel free to ask them. Vesper here can handle any cuts or bruises, but anything more serious and you'll need our mage," with that he turned, and called out"Merlin!" to gain his attention. A sigh left the mages lips as he walked over, stopping at Vesper's side, and leaning against her a bit.

"What you want,"he waited expectantly, Finny trying hard to keep appearances. "Merlin here is our resident mage. If you have anything that needs magic, please feel free to annoy him...any time. I warn you though, he's got a short temper,"

Lord Briarwood chuckled, eyeing the short half-elf and nodded "I can see that, well I feel safer already. Now is everything set for us to leave," the man looked over towards the wagon.

"All set, my Lord, we have a horse here for you to ride, I'll lead you to the stables. You lot, saddle up," Finny called back towards them as he lead the gentleman off. Once out of ear shot Merlin snorted, and turned to Vesper. "He calls me for anything unimportant, i'm turning him into a bloody frog. Would make yours, and my job easier,"

"Merlin, the last time you did that, Kerrek threatened to cut your pay indefinitely. Willing to risk it,"she asked, putting her hands on her hips. The mage nodded, and smiled."Oh, for him? Definitely. I mean, it's not like he'll be stuck like that forever...just an hour or two,"He smirked to himself, earning a tug on his ear from Vesper.

"No. Bad, Merlin,"she scolded, ignoring his hands swatting at her.

"Fine, jeeze. I won't turn pompous Lord what's-his-face into a frog. Happy,mother,"he asked, making her laugh. Once her giggle fit was done, she turned to Ragnar, and Brynn, motioning for Merlin to be nice and behave. "Come on, lets get our horses,"

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:51 pm 

The White Wolf Prevails

"I have a feeling she wanted to murder old Varn back there." Ragnar commented with a halfhearted laugh, dropping his arms to his sides as he glanced around. "But, yeah, I try to take as many contracts as I can. I don't have much of anything else to do anyways." He shrugged, flashing a warm smile. Ragnar liked the half-elf's carefree personality, it's a nice change to the normal sourness and ignorance of the older couriers.

Ragnar emitted a low sigh as he joined the other two of the Lord's guard, his hands linked together behind his head. His focus was split between Finny and Lord Briarwood. Something was off about the Lord but Ragnar could not put a name to it. He chanced a sideways glance over at the two females, he noticed that Brynn felt the same way but he was unsure about Vesper. At least he was in a good position, Ragnar thought, he was one of the Lord's guards, he would be closer to the Lord than any of the other couriers.

"About time we headed out.." Ragnar joked as he followed the two to where the courier's horses were kept. He ran his hand down the muzzle of his tan coloured horse with black socks and mane before mounting up. He waited to the Vesper and Brynn to mount before he approached.

"Do any of you know anything about Briarwood? I don't trust him." He stated, his voice was kept low to a hushed whisper so only they could hear him.

"I don't know anything but I agree with you." Brynn replied, eyeing the brute from on top of her solid black mare that she kept with her from her northern homelands.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:06 pm 

"I got that, too. I don't think I've heard of him before, but I don't know much about high-class folk, and the like,"Vesper said, patting her mare's rump before climbing up onto the saddle."He's hiding something for sure, but I can't figure out why. Merlin, what do you think,"She asked looking to the other male. Merlin hummed to himself, rubbing his mounts snout with an affectionate smile. It mouthed at his hand in search of treats he didn't have.

"He's hiding something, no doubt about that. The way he was fidgeting gave him away. I would suggest you three keep a very close eye on him. Speak with Finny about it if anything. The man may be a prick, but he's not an idiot, and he's good at what he does. Worst case, we abandon the job and don't get paid," he gave one last pat to the horses hind legs, before getting on, walking her to the front of the party, where Finny was waiting. Vesper looked to the other two and smiled.

"Well, I think it'll be fine. And like he said, we can always drop the job," With that she set off as well to join the gathering party members by the entrance.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:16 pm 

The White Wolf Prevails

Ragnar nodded at the mage, running his hand through his mount's mane in a repetitive manner as he listened to the conversation. Gripping his horse's reins, he guided his horse towards the front gate where the rest of the group was waiting.

Brynn was the last to leave. She placed a hand on her mare's shoulder as she glanced over her slim shoulder at the stables, watching as Lord Briarwood mounted a pure white stallion, holding himself tall and proud causing Brynn to curse under her breath. Damn nobles and their haughtiness. She watched the Lord for a few more seconds, taking in every detail of his posture.

"Who are you really?" Brynn whispered as she faced forward, slightly digging her heels into her horse's sides, catching up with the group.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:02 pm 

After all was settled, and the group ready, the party took off. The ride was long,and by the time dusk had come, the party were exhausted. Riding on horse back for six and a half hours was not a pleasant experience. Vesper yawned, cracking her back as she lead her mare towards the water. Thank gods they were stopping for the night. She didn't think she could handle any more on saddle. Handing the mare off to another, she made her way towards the slowly growing fire. Nights outside the city were cool, and while they were no where near as cold as the north, it was nice to have the warmth. She sighed, watching the growing embers, and thought.

The whole day Briarwood had been impatient, and jumpy. He looked over his shoulder at shadows, and when asked why, would become defensive. It was rather odd, and with each passing minute she felt her heart flutter more and more in her chest. She needed to speak with Finny. Corrected course, she wound up by the wagon, where a few men were pulling out the gear. Finny stood, watching them work a few feet away.

"Finny?Do you got a moment,"she asked, grabbing onto his elbow. He looked down at her and smiled.

" Sure, Ves. What do you need?" He turned his full attention to her, and uncrossed his arms, the tension that had been there seconds ago was now gone. Vesper felt a smile find its way to her face, happy that Finny was comfortable with her.

"I'm sorry,Finny, but....I think...I think Lord Briarwood is hiding something. He's been acting weird all day, and me, Brynn, and Ragnar all think somethings going on," she gestured towards the two humans in question, and then towards the lords tent. Finny frowned and pulled her as far from the tent as he could."Noticed that too, did you? I told Kerrek that this guy rubbed me wrong, but he vouched for him. Said he was just a paranoid person. I don't know if that's true, but I want you to keep a close eye on him. I already have Merlin warding the camp. If anyone tries to get in, or out he'll know....and don't worry. I won't let anything bad happen to you,"he patted her shoulder and smiled at her softly. Vesper nodded, and returned the smile, before turning and walking away.

Well, it seemed most of them didn't trust this lord Briarwood. Who was he? Where was he from? Vesper asked around the camp, careful in being discreet. No one seemed to have a clue. With a sigh, she made her way to one of the fires, hoping someone there had a clue.

"Hello, gents. I was wondering, have any of you actually heard of Lord Briarwood,"she asked. A snort resounded from the group, and Varn stood, towering over her by nearly a foot. She frowned, backing away when he moved into her space. " Of course the dirty-blood doesn't know of nobility, why do you want to know, huh?"he asked, eyes bearing into her. She frowned, eyes large and wide. It had been so long since she'd been called that. Shock fell away to anger, and she glared at the man."It's a simple yes, or no, Varn. And it's not just me that wants to know! No one has heard of him, have any of you?"she turned to the other three seated by the fire. They all shrugged, not recalling any mention of a Lord Briarwood prior to today. Varn scoffed, at her, and crossed his arms.

"Who cares? He had the money, he paid. Do your job, unless you can't." Varn practically spit in her face. Vesper growled, anger bubbling in the pit of her stomach.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:25 pm 

The White Wolf Prevails

Both Ragnar and Brynn were thankful as the time to set of camp quickly approached. Due to Ragnar's posture, Brynn noticed he was one to enjoy a good bandit ambush by the way he held up head up and his shoulders squared. She couldn't deny that she did either so a day with no incidents were a mundane and agonizing long day for the both of them. Ragnar spent most of the evening hauling equipment off of the wagon with a few of the other labours. It was a common thing for him to do, offer help to keep his restless self busy.

While he was doing that, Brynn was taking care of her horse, Alsvior, before she tied her horse's reins to a tree with the other horses. She went and sat down, sharpening her bronze sword with a stone. She lifted her head as Vesper approached, asking about the Lord. Her focus was immediately redirected to Varn as he stood over the half-elf.

"Varn." Brynn called out, her voice firm and traced with a growl. "You best watch your tongue, it's leading you to an unpleasant path." Normally, Brynn would never stick up for someone like that, certainly not someone she only knew for a day but her actions were more focused on the events at Kerrek's office. By the gods, she hated Varn.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:29 pm 

Varn turned angry eyes onto Brynn, and glared. He opened his mouth to speak, but clamped it shut when he took a step forward and tripped, falling hard onto his front. Behind him Vesper faked an innocent look, her foot still outstretched.

"Oh my...Are you alright? You really should be more careful,"she said, folding her hands behind her back. The man growled, pulling himself from his sprawled position. Vesper batted her lashes, looking for all the world like an innocent girl. Varn stepped into her space again, and spit at her feet, before by passing her all together. She watched him go with a sour look on her face, sticking her tongue out once his back was to her.

"Such a rude man,"she huffed, walking over to take a seat by Brynn by the fire. "Thanks for speaking up, most people tend not to,"she beamed at Brynn, and offered out her hand for the second time that day."I know you're unsure of what everyone thinks, and what they're here for, but still, I think someone should welcome you officially, so welcome to The Seeking Owl. I hope we can be friends,"she waited patiently for the other to speak, or do something, hoping she wasn't crossing too many boundaries. Vesper liked Brynn, she could tell she had a good heart.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:59 pm 

The White Wolf Prevails

A mirthful smirk grew across the northern's lips as she watched Varn fall. It took all of her strength and will not to burst out laughing at the male's mistake. She averted her attention back to her sword, continuing to sharpen the blade's edge once Varn departed. She was somewhat disappointed with his rather peaceful exit, she was itching for a fight with him. One good fight to put the 'alpha' in his place was worth the cut in pay in Brynn's eyes.

She looked up as the half-elf took a seat next to her, causing her to tense subtly. She nodded her head a few times to indicate that she was attentively listening but she remained mute. However, unlike the last time, she did shake the elf's hand. She glanced at the others that surrounded the fire while waiting for Varn to get out of earshot before she finally spoke. "What's his problem?" She asked the question she had meant to ask Kerrek or Finny prior to the group's departure but didn't have the time to do so.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:58 pm 

Vesper smiled happily, as the woman took her hand. Looking back, she spared a glance the way Varn had left. "I don't really know. He's always been like that. I think he feels like he's the best swordsmen in all of Cairah, and well....he's good, but he doesn't know how to take orders, or strategize. He's a bigot, and honestly the only reason Kerrek hasn't fired him is because he's good in a fight,"she sighed, leaning back on her palms.

"He use to be in the imperial army, you know? Got booted. Disgraced his family, I hear. Got disowned for it. Really it doesn't surprise me with how he treats his superiors." Vesper made a sour face, before letting out a sigh." Just ignore him....or knock him flat on his arse. Either work to shut him up,"she chuckled to herself.

"Anyway, I did a walk around. Asked others if they heard of Lord Snobby, and it's a resounding 'no' from the lot. Finny wants us to make sure he isn't trying to pull anything," She motioned towards the tent that held Briarwood.

All seemed fine so far. When they had stopped to set up, he retired the moment his tent was put up. So far the man had been on his best behavior. Well, if one could ignore the shifty look about him. Still, Vesper was going to be on high alert all night, she just knew. Even if Merlin's wards could drop an elephant. Speaking of, she realized Brynn hadn't ever been privy to Merlin's handy work. Best to warn her then.

"Also, just so you know, Merlin warded the entire camp for tonight. So don't try to stray, he has a tendency for not listening when Finny tells him to just make an alarm system. You might get shocked....or burned."she made a weird hand motion towards the carved symbols on a few trees near by"Everyone already just assumes he's set something less than pleasant, but you're new to us,"she said, eyes tracing over the carved glyph, trying to discern what it would do.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:36 pm 

The White Wolf Prevails

Every now and then, she would nod as the elf talked. Brynn was more focused on her blade but she listened. A ghostly trace a smile appeared on her face. "Much rather kick his arse in a fight." She commented, sheathing her weapon as she finally finished sharpening and polishing the blade.

At the mention of the Lord, Briarwood, she averted her gaze to the noble's tent. Her eyes remained fixed on the tent, the reflection of flames dancing up to the sky in her hazel eyes. The orange lighting and the reflection of the fire made her eyes appear almost golden like the eyes of a wolf as it pursued its prey.

"I suggest should have a rotation for watching Briarwood, outside the main rotation. Just us three: Ragnar, you, and me." She told her in a hushed tone, making no heed to her words about the wards, she already figured that the runes carved on the trees were for a defensive system.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:51 pm 

Vesper nodded, and followed her gaze, watching as the shadows in the tent shifted ever so slightly. It was strange how on edge the man put her. He had been rather full of himself, but most nobles tended to be that way. Something about him just felt....dangerous. Pulling her eyes away from the dancing shadows, she looked into Brynn's eyes and gasped a little. They were beautiful! Leaning in a bit, she tilted her head, before realizing what she was doing. A blush spread across her cheeks in embarrassment. "S-sorry! Your eyes were just...they looked like molten gold. I kinda got distracted,"she cleared her throat and stood" Um, I agree with your plan. We can take longer shifts to ensure he's under close watch. I'll um...I'll go let Ragnar know,"she smiled awkwardly, pointing off towards where she'd last seen him, walking backwards a few steps, before turning on her heel and leaving.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:09 pm 

The White Wolf Prevails

Brynn's jaw tensed, clenching closed as she noticed the subtle movement of Vesper, inching closer. She moved away from the elf slightly, watching her assiduously. She nodded as the elf finally spoke and moved away from her, laying her sheathed blade next to her habitually.

"Yes, you should do that. I'll take first watch." She responded in a leveled and emotionless tone as she turned away and faced the fire, the flames flickering upward haphazardly, trying to reach the stars above.

Ragnar, on the other hand, was a bit of distance away from the camp, as far away as he could while also remaining within the protective wards. His steel armour was still on him with his blade drawn, taking out all his pent up energy out on a random tree. He continuously struck his blade into the wood, sending pieces of bark scattering in different directions. He was so focused on practicing various of stances, he didn't hear Vesper approaching.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:33 pm 

His blade came mere inches away from her face as she walked over. She ducked from the swing, and chuckled at his face. "I'm ok! I've got good reflexes,"Vesper put her hands up some, and stopped a few steps away from the man."So,I was talking to Brynn, and we were gettin' on. She really doesn't like Varn,I think you were right about her wanting to murder him,"She laughed a bit as she started to ramble" She's not very talkative, but she listens, or did... till I screwed that up,"

Vesper sighed,and shook her head." I also talked to the others. No one's heard of Briarwood. Brynn suggested we take extra shifts tonight to watch him, and I...made it weird so I came to find you. I'm honestly so horrible with meeting people sometimes,"she bounced a bit in place, still prattling on. She would have continued to, had a hand covered her mouth.

"If you don't stop her she keeps goin' on,"Merlin said, having walked into the clearing to find the two. Vesper blinked, and looked at him closely.He had a simple dagger in his other hand, she noted. Shoving his hand away, she smiled"Oops...Merlin, did you finish your wards,"she asked, a little red in the face from the embarrassment of not only staring at Brynn, but rambling. Best to change the subject.

"Well I would be done with them if I did have to keep redoing them,"he said, turning to look at Ragnar, then at the tree he'd been hacking at. "Thanks for reminding me of why I walked over here,"he said pointing his dagger at the man. "If you wanna work off energy, fine, but be careful. If I have to re-carve another glyph, I swear I'll so it on your arse, got it,"he poked him lightly in the chest.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:57 pm 

The White Wolf Prevails

Ragnar snapped to attention as Vesper came into view, immediately slipping his sword into the sheath that was on his back. "Sorry," He apologized with a slight rub of the back of his head, laughing slightly. "Didn't hear ya coming up." He raised his eyebrows in shock, he was surprised she managed to get a word out of the new girl. "I think everyone hates Varn." He told her, leaning back against the tree he had been hacking at.

He laughed at Vesper's muffled words as Merlin's hand covered her mouth. "Hey man, didn't mean to cross you." He said lightly, raising his hands up defensively. "All the other trees were too fragile." Ragnar kicked himself upright, linking his hands together behind his head.

"Anything else we should do about Briarwood?" The brute asked, shifting the conversation back to about the lord.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next