All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:30 pm 

Blog: View Blog (0)

William tugged on the sleeves of his tunic again, looking around as they approached the palace. Tonight was the night he was going to be introduced to his new bride formally, something which both terrified and excited him. He just hoped it was someone that he already knew.

The garden in front of the palace had been decorated for the night. It was full of elves already, as well as the other humans who were being introduced to their betrothed tonight. William caught sight of a couple of his friends, but his parents kept him by their side.

“When we see her family we will introduce you to your wife.” His father told him, one of his hands resting on William’s shoulders in both a warning and some form of comfort. His father knew more than his mother about the fact that while William would do anything to please his parents, he wasn’t all that keen on marrying someone that they had chosen.

“Of course father.” He said, bowing his head just a little. When his mother spoke up he looked across at her excited tone.

“I see her father.” She grabbed William’s hand and pulled him in the direction she had been looking. William took a deep breath, hoping his smile looked happy and casual instead of pained like he felt, he was incredibly nervous about what was about to happen.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:17 am 

Chrysabelle forced herself to breath, fighting to keep her expression casual as she sipped from the delicate flute of champagne one of the servers wandering around the garden had handed her. There was no way she was going to show how terrified she was. She'd known, of course, that the day would come when a marriage would be arranged for her, but she hadn't expected it so soon. Nor had she expected it to be to a human. Her father had told her it was an honor to be part of the king's plan to have the fae intermarry with select humans to help combat the way the races were slowly shrinking and dying out, but it didn't feel like it was. Although she supposed it might be a blessing in disguise. A human untrained in magic might be less likely to notice her peculiarities and figure out her secret. It was still nerve-racking, though. She had gone her entire life trying to avoid any serious relationships to avoid giving away her secret. She didn't know what to expect or how to act when she met her betrothed.

She shivered slightly in the cool night air. While she had to admit, the gown her mother had chosen for her, with it's flowing green silk, simple yet elegant silhouette, and accents of silver, was stunning, she couldn't help but wish the dress wasn't sleeveless. She'd wanted to wear a shawl over it, but her mother had refused her request. She had insisted Chrysabelle should look as beautiful as possible for her future husband, and the shawl would obscure her figure. Personally, Chrysabelle thought her figure could do with a little more obscuring. She had nightgowns that left more to the imagination than this dress did, and she wasn't used to showing this much skin.

Suddendly her mother grabbed her arm to get her attention. "They're coming," she hissed. Chrysabelle instinctively turned in the direction her mother had indicated, but the crowd still obscured her betrothed from view. "Now remember," her mother quite unnecessarily whispered in her ear, "Act normal. The last thing we want is for his family to withdraw their offer of marriage. You would shame our entire family." As if she didn't know that. She breathed deeply, then schooled her features into a practiced emotionless expression as she waited to catch a glimpse of her future husband.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:10 am 

William's mother finally stopped, a smile on her face as she greeted the older elves. William's attention though was on Chrysabelle, an elf that he had not had any contact with at all, his whole opinion of her was based on what others have said. He took in her beautiful gown, taking in the detail, silently glad that his tunic was thick and kept out the chill, he felt sympathy for Chrysabelle who's gown didn't seem to be keeping the cold out at all, as beautiful as it was and she was in it.

He tried to catch her eye and offer a smile, wanting to relax them both because he knew if she was even half as nervous as she was it was going to be an awkward conversation that followed.

"William, this is Chrysabelle." His mother stated, pushing him forward a little and towards Chrysebelle. He held out his hand to take hers, keeping his smile in place even though his mouth was beginning to hurt already from the strain of it.

He couldn't help but think that his parents could have chosen any other fae for him to be betrothed to, he knew most of them in the garden right now, why did they have to make it even harder for him in choosing someone that they must have known he didn't know. He was going to try to make it work though, they had to be married unless one of their parents decided that it was not suitable after all, so William might as well try and make it work with Chryebelle.

"Pleasure to meet you Chrysebelle." He said politely.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:01 pm 

Chrysabelle smiled slightly, in a polite way but without showing much real emotion. She was much better at hiding her emotions than she was at faking emotions she didn't feel. "It's nice to meet you as well, William," she murmured, politely taking his outstretched hand. Inwardly, though, she was cringing. She didn't really know him well, just like she didn't really know most people, but she'd certainly heard of him. He was pretty well known around the court. He was considered popular and was friends with a large portion of the court. Exactly the kind of person she had been hoping she wouldn't be betrothed to. Once she was his wife, he'd probably drag her out to all kinds of parties and social events that she'd spent her entire life trying to avoid. Not to mention if he ever did discover her secret, with how many people he talked to on a regular basis, the information would undoubtedly be all around the court by the nest morning. How could her parents have ever thought this would be a good match for her?

She was all too aware of her parents' eyes on her, so she forced herself to make the smile a bit more convincing, although it was hard to do. "I'm looking forward to getting to know you," she added demurely. Then she turned to greet her future in-laws. After all, she was going to be seeing a lot of them. It was even common for young couples to live with the husbands family for a while after they got married, although she hoped to avoid that. So it seemed like a good idea to establish a good relationship with the Ashgroves. "It is a pleasure to meet you as well, my lord and lady," she offered, curtsying in a formal greeting.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:31 pm 

William was oblivious to her discomfort in the situation, he might have been good with talking to people but he wasn't all that great with noticing other people's feelings unless they explicitly told him how they were feeling.

William's mother smiled when Chrysabelle curtseyed, "None of that. We're no higher in status than you are." She said, "You may call me Laerune as well, after all you are going to be my daughter - in - law."

"William needs someone like you, you're more level headed than he is, and you don't go out and get yourself in trouble half as much." Pyxaanthal told her, glancing at William who was chatting with Chrysabelle's parents happily. "That being said he will make a good husband I'm sure of it. Just give him some time to come around."

William didn't try to deny what his parents said, he knew that he caused trouble often, although he never went out with the intention of it, it just seemed to find him. He turned his attention back to Chrysabelle, "Would you like to walk with me? I would like to get to know you a little tonight, and I think our parents would like to chat as well." He offered his arm formally, hoping he wouldn't be turned down. He was going to try his hardest to make things easier for them both.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:39 am 

It took all of Chrysabelle's self-control not to flinch at Phyxaanthal words. Not because anything was insulting- she was actually pleasantly surprised at how kind William's parents were to her. It was the fact that he'd called her level-headed that had almost made her cringe. Someone who saw things that weren't real would never qualify for such a description. Still, she supposed that at least the remark showed that she did a good job of hiding the truth, which was definitely a good sign. Hopefully she'd be able to keep it that way. She smiled at her future in-laws. "That's very kind of you," she said. "I'm sure William and I will get along just fine." Well, actually she was very skeptical about that, but she was hardly going to say that.

Chrysabelle turned toward William when he spoke to her, giving him the same charming smile she'd been giving his parents. "Of course. I believe it will suit us quite well to become better acquainted," she said, accepting his arm. At least it was an excuse to get out from the gaze of her own parents for a while. Even while talking to William, her mother had been keeping an eye on her throughout her exchange with the Ashgroves, making sure she didn't mess anything up. It was a relief to allow William to lead her away and let the adults talk among themselves.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:13 am 

William gave a nod to his parents, and a charming smile to Chrysabelle's before he lead her away from them all. "I don't know about you, but with my parents hanging around I was beginning to get uncomfortable. It might be an arranged marriage, but I want to get to know you from you and not our parents."

He lead her a little away from the party, looking around and noticing the other human - fae arranged couples. His friends that he could see all seemed to have ended up with people that they knew. It was something he was envious of.

When he finally found a seat that wasn't taken he sat down. They were far enough away from the party that they could talk to each other, but not so far away that they couldn't be seen. He didn't want his parents to think that he had run away or something

"So, since we hardly know each let's just get the basics out." He chuckled. "I'm William. I'm a human. I like the colour blue, being outside and hanging out with my little brother. I don't like carrots or cats. And I have a fear of thunder and lightening."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:52 pm 

Chrysabelle definitely agreed with William about wanting to get away from their parents. "Indeed, there are times when some degree of privacy in necessary." She followed him through the crowd, sitting down across from him when he found a place to sit. She listened to his brief description about himself, interested to find out a little more about the man she would be spending the rest of her life with. She was especially interested in the last part he'd mentioned. The fact that he'd shared such a private and possibly embarrassing fact with her definitely earned him a bit of respect on her part. It took courage to share your fears with someone you barely knew.

When he finished, she began introducing herself. "I'm Chrysabelle. I'm elven, and my magic allows me to create illusions. I like pastel colors, especially purple, I enjoy reading and spending time in gardens. I love nature in general, especially flowers and seeing wild animals. I'm vegetarian, which annoys my parents to no end. I don't like crowds, parties, or even just being around people in general." And then, since he'd shared a personal fear with her, she figured she should do the same, so she added, "And I have social anxiety. Literally, just the thought of talking to people makes me so nervous I often start feeling physically ill." That, along with the fact that she had to try and hide her secret, were the main reasons she avoided other people as much as possible.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:56 pm 

William listened attentively while Chrysabelle spoke, wanting to remember it all for the future to make things more comfortable for her. Every little thing he learnt about her allowed him to get to know her better, and it was something that he wanted. He made a mental note to find some pastel purple flowers somewhere and hopefully surprise her with them at some point. The thought put a smile on his lips.

When she told him she had social anxiety he understood why he hadn't seen her at parties or social gatherings. "Tonight must really suck then. I don't understand why our parents didn't introduce us to each other in private."

"I'll be sure to be careful about going out in crowds with you then. I would hate to have you uncomfortable." He leant back a little bit and rubbed at his face. His parents sure had chosen someone completely opposite from him in personality. He knew why, if they married him to someone like him he would never be forced to grow up. With Chrysabelle he would have to take things differently than he normally would to make sure she was comfortable. Getting to know her one-on-one instead of in a group being the first difference. He would never hear the end of it from his parents, his father in particular, if he made Chrysabelle uncomfortable in any way.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:56 pm 

Chrysabelle swallowed before answering. "Yeah, it really does suck." She really wanted to just go and hide somewhere until the whole night was over, but that would never work. Even if she decided to try, her mother had an uncanny talent for tracking her down when she didn't want to be found, and then making her pay for making herself scarce in the first place. Her parents loved her, of that she had no doubt. But that didn't stop them from being harsh. She'd learned a long time to avoid disappointing or angering them.

She shrugged a bit at his comment being careful about crowds. "Well, events like this," she gestured around them, "are sort of obligatory for anyone of our status. I may not like them, but that doesn't mean I don't go. That wouldn't be practical." And now she would end up going to twice as many of them, since she'd now be attending any that involved either her family or his. There was no avoiding that. Still though, it was nice that he cared about her being uncomfortable in crowds. She was rather glad that she'd shared that with him. The less parties he tried to drag her to, the better.

She caught the sight of her mother in her peripheral vision, gesturing about something, and glanced over. She realized she was waving her back over, and it only took her a minute to figure out why. The doors to the hall were open and people were beginning to file in, presumably for the evening's dinner. It seemed there private moment was over. "It appears we are being summoned," she said with slight humor as she gracefully rose to her feet.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:05 pm 

William chuckled softly, offering his arm again to lead her inside. "Your powers sound good. What sorts of things can you do with them?" He was curious; he always had been when it came to magic. Slightly envious as well, but he tried not to let it show.

When they were inside they were lead to a table, with Chrysabelle and William sitting together with all the other human / elf couples. He greeted his friends, but tried to keep his attention on Chrysabelle as much as possible. He held out a seat for her, his smile soft and polite the entire time.

"You got the short straw didn't you William." Emmyth nudged William hard in the ribs. Emmyth was an elf who William had befriended early in their youth, and the two boys had been near inseparable since. William frowned and turned to the elf.

"There is no need to be disrespectful Emmyth. Everyone has their reasons for everything they do. You should not judge Chrysabelle until you know her properly. You've never really spoken to her have you?"

Emmyth was speechless for a moment before he grinned. "Ever the proper little puppet for mummy and daddy." He leant closer to William with a wicked grin. "My bed is always open William. My wife is a dull girl. If yours is as dull as mine then we can keep each other happy."

William resisted the urge to punch the elf; he may call Emmyth a friend but he was rude. Instead he pulled back away from him. "I will not dishonour myself, my family or my future wife like that. I would like you not to insult my wife either." He gave a wide smile. "I am well past my days of being a child Emmyth. Some of us have to grow up."

He watched the elf turn red before he stormed off. William chuckled softly and turned back to Chrysabelle. "I do apologise for him. Perhaps I am not a great judge of character when it comes to making friends." He took his seat beside Chrysabelle.