All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:51 am 

Hanging stockings with care

Blog: View Blog (0)

Rue does not quite put himself between the wizards and Zarna but he does curl himself half way around her legs snapping his head back to look at them. Zarna places a hand on the familiar ruff keeping the wolf in check for the moment and takes her time looking the two wizards up and down.

"I was under the impression this was a public building. I came to make use of the library before moving on. Is this how you treat all visitors to your cities? No wonder the place is in such disrepair." It wasn't the brightest way to handle the situation but Zarna was tired of feeling intimidated and these two were about to find out why Druids were left well enough alone.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:13 am 

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ Cruel and Unusual ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Blog: View Blog (5)

The wizards scowl at her and seem like they are about to escalate the situation, when a voice pipes up behind Zarna.

"Relax, you two. She's with me." It's the drow girl who was in the library. "I was just showing her around. There a problem with that?"

Her tone is curt and imperious, and though she is much shorter than the two men, her presence seems to cow them somewhat.

"Don't think we don't have an eye on you either..." one of them remarks, before both slink off.

The girl turns to Zarna. "Such a disgusting lack of respect. I may be young, but even I remember a time when two males would not have dared speak up against us like that, not even a stranger. But I suppose that is just the way it is now."

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:15 am 

Rue lifts his head from a defensive position satisfied that the intruders have backed off from his personal territory and settles back into Zarna's shadow. Zarna dips into a quick bow. "My thanks for your assistance." She says brushing a braid back over one shoulder. "What exactly was the point of their little display in the first place?" She was a bit too annoyed to enjoy beating around the bush about her questions just then. But it didn't impair her ability to notice the parting shot at her rescuer. What would a couple of young males have against her?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:54 am 

The girl sniffs. "They're just sporemaggots that are in serious denial to their own inferiority. They think that because the matron mothers no longer have a strangehold on our cities they can do as they please and pretend they are our intellectual, physical, and spiritual equals. They saw a stranger in here and they wanted to try and puff themselves up by pushing you around. Those two are a pair of idiots anyway... barely worthwhile as apprentices. I study both arcane and divine magic and am better at it than they could ever hope to be in a hundred years. Wizardry may be a traditionally male arena for us, but that doesn't a girl like me isn't better at it. And I've never been the religious sort anyway... they know me, so of course they'd go off to lick their wounds... if you hang around here, I'm sure you'll get the respect you warrant soon enough."

She extends her hand in a gesture of greeting, snapping out of her rant and remembering she was actually talking to someone. "In any case... I noticed you were using the library. I almost thought you looked familiar, like I'd seen you before. Are you from around here?"

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:24 pm 

Zarna accepts the hand shaking it with neither warmth or dismissal. She didn't enjoy talking so disparagingly of gender since she reguarded herself largely as something inbetween the two. "I'm traveling actually." Zarna answers coolly miffed by the girl's idea that anything but concrete skill could or should put her above others. "As you might guess I've not seen the underdark for myself until now." she adds her desire for courtesy winning over her distaste. "A library seemed the most logical place to begin my acquaintance with it."

[I'd like to have Rue do a sense motive check on the drow girl and then I'll fill this entry out more with his reaction]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:41 pm 

"Ah... well, personally I don't think there's much here to see. I'm sure I could answer any questions you have. I've probably read most of what's in that library... and traversed this realm quite a bit. Though personally I prefer to travel around planes than anywhere as dank and uninteresting as the Underdark..."

[You can go ahead and roll the check for him if you want.]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:09 am 

Zarna raises a brow impressed. She wasn't sure that traveling planes was the wisest thing, her roots were secured quite well in the realm of earth and that was where she was useful. "Where we grow up always seems safe to us. I'm from the surface so everything down here seems alien if not precisely new. I do wonder why I might look familiar though considering most have trouble even guessing I'm Drow." Remarks Zarna deciding inspite of herself to like the other drow and give her the benefit of the doubt instead of basing her reactions on a few genderist statements. For all she knew this girl might just be young and been spared that lessons that Zarna had learned early in life.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:04 pm 

The girl shrugged. "People sometimes look like other people. If you've lived most of your life on the surface then you're probably not related to anyone I've ever met." She gives her a close look for a second and whispers. "Say... you're not an actual surface elf are you? I've met a few that tried to pass themselves off as albino drow... my aunt had one locked in a dungeon somewhere. Not that I would care either way..."

"My name is Kazrin, by the way. If you've not much other business to attend to, I'd invite you to dine with me later on. It might benefit us both to become allies."

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:05 pm 

Zarna levels her shoulders. "I'm half and half actually. My mother decided there were better opportunities for prosperity outside of Lolth's control. After all what good is stability to a creature of chaos?" She didn't like the flippant way Kazrin described imprisoning surface kin. She decided she was done here it would be better to go looking for Ozidimir. "I'm afraid that I should meet up with my traveling party and I'm not sure that I would have time to dine." She adds.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:03 pm 

"Mmm, I see. Well... take care of yourself, then. I have an apartment near the temples if you should be interested in contacting me."

She saunters off quickly.

By this time Ozdimir is likely finished his business and has retired to the inn that he mentioned.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:15 pm 

Zarna nods stepping out and recalling the inn heads in that direction. At best Ozdimir would be there and she could put herself to work and at worst there was the chance at a warm meal and fire by which to smoke her pipe and take in a little music. Rue carries on beside her tongue lolling and his bright eyes regaurding her reproachfully. Though it was likely her own feelings projecting onto the wolf. She'd been snappish with a young elf who probably had no idea what she'd said was offensive. Mother had explained frequently how drow were taught and she ought to have known better. She shakes her head though and stays on the path to the inn it was too late now to change things.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:11 pm 

The inn is located between several large, sagging towers -- constructed, not simply carved out of solid rock -- which appear to be major trade headquarters and warehouses judging by the traffic headed in and out. The inn is buried within a thicket of subterranean flora and fungi and looks more like a heap of detritus in a swamp than a place of rest and recreation. The scent of strong liquor overpowers that of the mushrooms and trash, for good or for ill.

The name of the inn is written in surface common, reading THE KNIGHT BELOW in large tiled letter. Flanking the main entrance are two stone slabs. True to its name, one houses the rusted, dented armor of a warrior melded into the rock like a fossil. Likely a paladin of the sun god judging by the armor's religious iconagraphy. The other a slab houses the barding and skeleton of a mighty steed.

The entrance is high up, scaffolding arranged in a circle leading to the inn's room, with the tavern section located in a bit below. The servers are androgynously dressed dark elves, and the bartender is a muscular drow man, quite tall by elvish standards, but the tavern patrons are a patchwork of other races, with only a few drow traders mixed in.

A server is attending a desk for lodging purchases near the entrance.

The floor below is quite crowded. Looking down amongst the throng of monsters, Zarna spots Ozdimir's large hat, he is at a table far from the bar, in a less trafficked corner of the tavern.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:58 pm 

Zarna weaves her way comfortably through the crowd though working hard not to actually touch anyone she didn't strictly have to. Looking at a few of the waiters Zarna thinks that she is beginning to understand the particular style of drow beauty. They were attractive and interesting without inviting a more rowdy patron to make a grab.

She knocks her knuckles gently against the table three times to catch Ozidimir's attention before seating herself at the table and signaling for one of the waiters. "How goes the search?" she asks scratching between Rue's fuzzy ears which fall comically half flat as his canine face goes half slack and he begins to pant.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:19 am 

Ozdimir raises a glass at her and downs it all. Giving a gasp of refreshment, he greets her.

"Well, the search has brought me here," he says. "And I'm certainly doing well here. But I suppose you want to know if I found what I was looking for. Well, possibly."

He waves her in closer so he can lower his voice, looking around like he suspects someone untrustworthy could overhear.

"Someone in my circle of contacts clued me in to this cult hidden somewhere in the city. Well, hidden in general, but not to my contact. They said these people weren't necessarily responsible, but might be connected to them. Their activities have had a connected with them summoning earth elementals, recovering magical earth related to earth... things like this. It's suspicious enough that I feel like checking it out."

A server approaches, and gives a curtsy like gesture to Zarna. "How may I serve you?"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:53 pm 

Zarna nods. "A ginger ale and something small to eat." Then she waits until the sever is out of range before resuming speaking with Ozidimir. "Well that certainly sounds interesting. You wouldn't mind company would you?" She asks. There wasn't anything else for her to do and if following Ozzie would give the druid the opportunity to sink wanderer into the skull of the idiots who sunk her home so much the better.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:25 pm 

The server quickly bows quickly and leaves.

"I could certainly use someone watching my back. I'm hoping to keep violence to a minimum and not get into an all-out brawl... I have no idea what kind of resources this cult has, or who is backing them. I want to try as surreptitiously as possible to find out who was ultimate behind this and assassinate them. I do not personally have the resources, nor the contacts, to wage a war against some kind of organization, so hopefully crippling their leadership will be enough."

As Ozdimir finishes explaining, the server returns and places a glass and small platter of glazed mushrooms before Zarna. Their aroma is pungent, but not unappetizing.
"Put it on my tab, would you?" Ozzie says.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:52 pm 

"I doubt a group that has tasted the kind of power that can harness mother nature so thoroughly is likely to be crippled by the loss of a leader. It is my experience that such people are desperate and there fore dangerous. I would suggest seeking aid from the Druid's circle in this area and enlisting them to mop up what is left after your assassination. It is more than likely that collapses like the one I was in had heavy effect on the ecosystem here in the Underdark." Zarna pops a mushroom in her mouth chasing it with a sip from her cup after a brief sniff of it's contents and sits back to see if Ozzie will take her bait. She didn't make a habit of maneuvering those around her but she wanted these bastards to pay for destroying her home and abusing natural powers to do it. Things came and went in nature that was the way but this was a deliberate assault on her sanctuary. If she had to seek vengeance on her own she would do it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:03 am 

Ozdimir strokes his beard contemplatively.
"I'm not so sure. It depends on who has the power and how they are achieving it. I've never known any denizen of the Underdark who wouldn't hoard such power and keep the secrets strictly to themselves... hence investigating how they are accomplishing it. The greatest mages, priests, and elementals may conjure earthquakes, but not on this scale."

"Do you know druids in the area, then?" he asks. "I suppose getting some more allies wouldn't be out of the question."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:49 pm 

Zarna's eyes twinkle with barely contained mirth. Outsiders had a habit of assuming that the druids knew each other well. Admittedly the communal hospitality extended to all members of the class contributed heavily to this idea. "Not precisely, but I doubt that the local circles would refuse to meet with me. What kind of aid we might expect from them depends on weather or not the elders believe their circle's ranges are in danger or not. Some may help out of personal interest or outrage though." She tilts her head taking a few more bites of the surprisingly tasty meal before continuing. "However I don't disagree that we should investigate first. I'd like to know who these cultists are for myself." she muses with a feral grin.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 4:10 am 

Ozdimir's brow furrowed in confusion. "When you say local, do you mean locally to the surface? Because druids of the caverns maybe be... different from what you expect, if you've never met any before..."

Ozzie recomposes himself. "In any case, are you feeling rested up enough to tackle this shortly after we finish here? The cultist enclave is down in the lower tunnel network. We could go there and at least scope things out."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next