All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:59 am 

It's my party, and I'll cry if I want to

Owner

Location: Within the darkest recesses of your mind, plucking at your heartstrings.
Medals: 8
Dedicated Partner (1) Creative (1)
1st Year (1) 2nd Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (15)

O L A H N K O R L A R I N

- - - -

N O M E N C L A T U R E

Formal names
    Formal names are long winded, and elegant, often seeming unnecessary to most non-mages, however, within that single greeting holds power, magic, name and family.
    Each formal names has simple components, derived from an almost dead dialect of a magical language. No one actually speaks it, as too many words are missing from even the most comprehensive texts, but many archmages lord their vast knowledge of the language over those less powerful.
    Setup - "First Name, Power Level, Magic Type, Gender'Last name"
    ((I.E - If I were an Adept Healer, and my name were "Weaver Rios", I'd be "Weaver Ostra Sifa Iz'Rios". This can be stylized, as long as those main parts are visible, "Wea'Ostra Sifa IzReos", etc. Admittedly, diviners have it hard as there is always a mouthful. As an example, if you are a Diviner and an Illusionist, as "Weaver" could be, then she's "Weaver Ostra Semnet Uzhal T'Planti Ya'Sima Iz'Rios".))
Informal Names
    Informal names are wicked simple... usually just the name, and a distinguishing characteristic, sometimes just race.
    ((I.E - "Weaver" would probably be "Weaver Odd-Eye" or "Weaver the tall".))
- - - -

S O R C E R Y
See Bottom of Post for Disclaimer

Illusion
    Ya'Sima [YA-seemuh] - False images, nightmares
    Illusionists are powerful because of their ability to confuse and manipulate enemies. Illusions aren't real, and can't actually hurt people, but are very useful due to their limitless nature.
Conjuration
    Duga [DOO-juh] - Ability to create, but not control
    Conjurers are powerful because of their ability to add to the world around them.Creating items/energy with magic is tiring, and thus this is a specialty that requires years of study and practice. Larger items require more energy, and smaller, obviously, less. Conjurers can create the elements, but can't control them (save for pointing and firing).
Divination
    Semnet Ruzhal T'planti [SEM-net Roo-ZHALL- Tuh-Pl-AHN-tee] - Clairvoyance/Clairaudience
    Diviners (mystics/psychic) are powerful because of their knowledge of things unseen by others. Mystics can't speak to the dead, as many think, but can see or hear anywhere in the world, the more powerful ones can see or hear into the past or future.
Enchantment
    Solak [So- Lock] - Infusing a non-magical item with magic and slightly altering mind of another
    Enchanters are powerful because of their ability to potentially alter others' minds and the course of their actions. This takes the form of altering their mind and the thoughts they may possess at that given moment.
    ((I.E - If you've been cornered by enemies whom are out for your blood, in that moment, you could alter their thoughts so that, rather than kill you, they'd take you hostage. While it may not be a big change, it'll give you more time to consider an escape route or other options.))
Necromancy
    Olu [O-lew] - Manipulation of death or the dead
    Necromancers are powerful because of their ability to stave off death, and control the dead. Necromancy is a dark art, and is frowned upon in many circles, but is a very powerful, but unwieldy type of magic.
- - - -

N A T U R A L I S M
See Bottom of Post for Disclaimer

Healing
    Sifa [SEE-fuh] - Regeneration and restoration
    Healers are powerful because of their ability to detect and treat injuries, illnesses, curses, and poisons. Healers have no access to offensive spells.
Communing
    Kosallan [ko-SAH-lin] - Ability to communicate non-verbally with plants, animals, spirits, even other humans.
    Communers are powerful because of their ability to call on the aid of anything or anyone. While not guaranteed (save for plants) the aid granted to a communer can turn the tide of a battle, a war, or simply inform you about your family's history of baby-names.
Alteration
    Deg'iskilki [Deg- Isk-ilk-ee] (kind of a snap to the tongue in the middle) - The ability to manipulate, but not create.
    Alterers are powerful because they embody the ideal of the druid, calling on the elements to deal devastating damage. While not limited to simply elements, that is the bulk of Alteration magic.
- - - -

P O W E R
Of which there are only three

Novice
    Ku'Chuk [KOO-shook]
Adept
    Ostra [O-struh]
Savant
    Sik [Seek]
- - - -

G E N D E R

Male
    Ou [OH]
Female
    Iz [IS]
- - - -

R E L A T I O N S H I P S

Olahn Korlarin is known for being diplomatic and polite. Politics are a dangerous game anywhere, but in Olahn Korlarin, Divination makes politics exceptionally interesting. When there's the possibility of your rivals learning all there is about you, caution is not only a must, but an essential of the game. Aside from politics, appearance is important in Olahn Korlarin, not just physical appearance but how others perceive you in every way.

In Olahn Korlarin, rudeness and impropriety aren't illegal, but many act as if they were. Many of the other nations view mages as overly strict or, in more offensive terms having 'large sticks up their asses.' With magic, discipline is a must, and that translates to most, if not all aspects of life.

Even sex is viewed differently among mages. With the knowledge that mages don't always beget mages, sex isn't seen as strictly reproductive, thus eliminating the stigma on homosexuality. In some families, homosexuality is considered more fashionable, if only for it's rarity. However, it stands that sex isn't strictly for reproduction, and is even avoided by some for fear of having a non-mage child that would then be treated as second class. Non-mages (or Eitan, as they are officially called), especially those born with magic blood, are seen as rejected by the deity of magic, and are therefor less than mages in some way.
- - - -

M A R R I A G E S // B R E E D I N G

Marriage is seen as somewhat business like in Olahn Korlarin. When someone completes school, and decided to get married, they put forth a claim, essentially a statement that they want to marry. And if it's not to someone in specific, then it's reviewed by many courtiers, and when it's selected, it's removed from the listing of available claims for one month, during which marriage talks are underway, and if an acceptable dowry and proposal are reached, then the marriage claim is removed entirely and the two are married. Polyamorous relationships are legally recognized, though you can only be married to one person at a time. Very rarely does one accept a claim from someone below their rank or station--Novices usually marry novices, Adepts to adepts, Savants to Savants, and even familial power and wealth play into it--though Scholars marry more for fertility and beauty than for familial wealth or power.
- - - -

W E A T H E R // F A S H I O N

The weather of Olahn Korlarin is a tempered sort of "perfect". Where the rest of its being is entirely controlled by the Divine Savants, the weather, too, is controlled. It's the sort of perfect that would hit someone when they enter the islands, that it shouldn't be such all the time, especially where they are in regards to the other kingdoms with their climates. It's never too cold, never too hot. Any precipitation is solely for the plant life, as is the climate shifts. But, Olahn never sees winter, never sees a hot summer. Their climate is an in-between.

And, their plant life is of a tropical sort. Palm trees, vibrant flowers and exotic fruits. For a visual sort of reference, it's comparable to Hawaii; Just remember, this is a different world, so it wouldn't be the exact same.

Their fashion, as a result, has been about dark, warm colored fur, and light, springtime colors, pinks, blues and pastels for their clothes. Mages are taught that vanity leads to emotional fragility, so are taught modesty and to accept their bodies as is. This causes the fashions of Olahn Korlarin to be more modest and leave a lot to the imagination. In summer, the air is still cool enough thanks to the lagoon that showy clothes are not necessary, but the robes do become thinner, lighter, and tend to be lighter in color as well. In winter, dark, heavy robes are fashionable, especially those with pleating. Lately, more Avant Garde fashions have come into prominence in Olahn Korlarin, especially in the upper classes. Shoes are usually thin, and allow for mobility. Most fashions are gender neutral, being wearable by anyone, however, there are many who prefer more masculine or feminine features in their robes.
- - - -

B E A U T Y

Olahn Korlarin has strict ideals of beauty, which change from time to time, currently, dark, short scalp hair and pale eyes are all the rage. Bright colors are considered a fashion don't, and pale colors are acceptable, but not considered as spectacular as rich, dark colors. Gray hair is always welcome, a sign of wisdom and experience, which is considered elegant and attractive in Olahn Korlarin. Considering most youth in Olahn Korlarin are students, and, therefore, are not allowed much freedom, they aren't as socially attractive as more experienced, mature mages are.
- - - -

S C H O O L I N G

Magic schooling begins as soon as the child reaches Olahn Koralrin, even as young as infancy. This continues for a minimum of a decade, though often lasts for fifteen years or more. The shortest time spent in school was by one Savant named Ozim Fahr, He spent just two years in school, and graduated to full magehood at the age of just seven. As most don't arrive until their powers fully manifest (at age eleven for girls, thirteen for boys [usually]), most are students until they're in their twenties. A freelance mage below age nineteen is almost unheard of, and below seventeen won't be hired by many, save for bandits, and the extremely desperate. The academy on the inner islands of Gizli Yangin is where mages are taught the arcane ways, most pick one or two specialties, though it's not unheard of to have a mentor pick it for you, or even the headmaster.
- - - -

G O V E R N M E N T

The government and politics of Olahn Korlarin are simple enough, families are run by a matriarch or patriarch, who in turn answer to an Attendant, who in turn answers to a mayor, who in turn answers to a Acolyte, who in turn answers to a representative on the Council of Mages. Attendant usually oversee a single neighborhood, and are an elected matriarch/patriarch. Mayors usually see to three to five attendants, and Acolytes see to between nine and fifteen mayors. All in all, most politics are run in small-scale, families and neighborhoods vying for marital claims, or land, etc. The Council of Mages is made of four mages, one from the northern isles, one from the southern, one from Gizli Yangin, and one from the outer isles.

Above them is only the Scholars and the Divine Savants. The scholars are a group of highly prized mages who are said to have the blood of the Isixius. They are often encouraged to breed, and have their pick of marital claims. The Divine Savants keep the land alive, and many of the islands afloat. They keep Olahn Korlarin safe, predicting attacks, controlling the tides of the lagoon, and even measure counterattacks. They are sterile, though some still marry even fewer adopt. The Divine Savants are the only mages to have access to every form of magic, and there are currently only three of them (which are not available for play, but may come into prominence later).
- - - -

D I S C L A I M E R
Any magical influence must be agreed upon in an OOC faculty. If an agreement on how the power affecting the target cannot be reached, then a world manager will roll a dice set to decide what happens.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace