All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Magic: Further Defined
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:48 pm 

It's my party, and I'll cry if I want to

Owner

Location: Within the darkest recesses of your mind, plucking at your heartstrings.
Medals: 8
Dedicated Partner (1) Creative (1)
1st Year (1) 2nd Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (15)

To keep people from abusing magic, there are limits to it.

Think of in terms of "Skyrim," those of you that play it will understand. The more you put into a spell, the longer it will last. But, what you put into it is your life force. That means, the more you use your magic, the faster you will age and the sooner you will die.

The magic that you create shares in your life force, so keep this in mind. If you want to create or use this gift, use it wisely. Necromancers steal life force from others and usually require a sacrifice for their spells to work, so they are frowned upon by the others.

And, it is spells that require a verbal and gesture components in order for it to work. The more powerful the spell, the more prep-time that is needed to get the spell off successfully. Wearing armor and more in a rather stressful environment will increase the chance of the spell to fail. This can either be a harmless, "nothing happens" or something as drastic as the spell caster "losing a finger or hand," etc.

When it comes to spells cast on a specific person, the caster must know their true name. A true name is this person's name in the divine tongue, the language blessed by the gods. Without this, whatever spell is being cast will not work on them; Nothing will happen. How does one get that name? The caster must perform a ritual to learn it. Should they have a personal effect of the target in question, something to hone in on their soul, the process will be faster as the connection will be stronger. Without it, it's still doable, but may take several tries to get just right, so long as the caster is wholly focused on the person with the entirety of their being.

- - - -

And, as per Ganelon-
Regarding Blood Magic:

Traditional magic is a gift inherited at birth from the god Isixius - the ability to channel divine power through offerings of the spirit and shape it to one's will. A mage's strength comes from within, and those without the gift have no way to tap into this inner reserve during spellcasting. This is a universally accepted truth, and for most, an inviolable law that determines one's path in life. Despite the claims of those who study magic, however, it is not not the only way for mortals to wield a power which shapes reality. There exist many immortal entities which are not acknowledged within the common pantheon; spirits, demons, and countless others which exist beyond the fringes of mortal understanding. Some possess an interest in mortal affairs, and among them, some are at times willing to share a fraction of their power in exchange for worship or services that advance their inscrutable agendas.

The practice of blood magic is a specific case of this agreement, where an individual makes offerings both physical and spiritual in nature to their benefactor - which is almost invariably a demon - to receive and evoke its power to whatever ends they see fit. Unlike one of the gifted, a blood mage's strength comes from without, being a direct extension of their immortal's power, and its effects are liable to change based on the source as well as the caster. For some it is destructive, for others it is subversive, but in all cases there is a price which must be bargained, and an unskilled practitioner runs the risk of losing far more than he gains. The names of many immortals have been forgotten simply due to the scarcity of information regarding their unique rituals and the short lifespans of those who once understood them.

Rituals replace the gestures performed by ordinary mages, though chanting plays a prominent role in both disciplines. For a blood mage, they are necessary to attract the attention of one's patron, and commonly involve both drawn symbols and phrases relevant to the spell's purpose. An offering is extracted upon the completion of the ritual, which possesses two components - one is of flesh or blood, and is used to establish a connection to the soul, and the other is a portion of the soul itself. It is not necessary for a blood mage to use their own body or soul to fuel this process unless such a sacrifice is specifically demanded by their patron, but both components are linked in that the blood of one creature cannot establish a connection to the soul of another. A rather frightening application of blood magic is therefore to store a significant physical offering from a subject and use it to perform costly rituals at a later date, thus crippling the subject's soul remotely in a manner similar to, but more versatile than, traditional necromancy. With sufficient skill, the subject may even suffer the intended effects of the spell as well as paying its price, for better or worse.

A ritual performed incorrectly can be extremely dangerous, either leading to an undesired result or potentially deadly escalation of the required offering. Even those who sacrifice others are not safe from the latter, as a blood mage's own body and soul are always subject to being offered if no other source is sufficient. Blood mages who attempt to use corpses as a source of power often suffer the same consequences, as a corpse's potency dwindles rapidly after death, becoming useless in a matter of hours. Interrupting a ritual before the sacrifice is made causes it to end safely, though one which is continued in spite of significant distractions is one of the most common ways that an offering may become dangerously expensive. Finally, particularly skilled blood mages - those who would be considered Adepts or greater in Olahn Korlarin - may perform a specific type of ritual casting which allows the spell to be prepared ahead of time and activated quickly with a short phrase, provided that the offering is kept nearby at the time of activation. This limits the strength of a spell considerably, and those performed normally are always more potent and more efficient.

A common tool used by blood mages to establish a mutual obligation between themselves and their benefactors are pacts. Under a pact, both the price of an offering and the reward granted for it become guaranteed. Most immortals will only agree to a pact if they are allowed to impose restrictions upon their mortal subjects, such as rules dictating the use of their power or the day-to-day behavior of the subject. Violating these rules will leave the subject open to punishments which may or may not be specified when the pact is created. As demons are by far the entities most willing to communicate with mortals, and because it is far easier and "cheaper" for a blood mage to persuade a demon to help him commit acts of evil than of good, the art is widely regarded as more profane even than necromancy by the few who are aware of its existence, and information involving it is often kept secret or destroyed so as not to encourage the desperate.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:09 pm 

Medals: 1
Longest RP (1)
Blog: View Blog (0)

So how exactly does it work in a scientific sense and are there environmental factors to consider?

For instance, if one casts, say, Fireball, does said fire remain constrained by the laws of physics once it is manifested? Is magic simply the manipulation of energy? Are certain materials better at conducting or insulating said energy?

How does healing magic fit into the "Cast from Hit Points" mechanic, as well? I understand how it could fit when healing others, but what about healing oneself? If my understanding of biology is correct, aging and physical deterioration are caused by the breakdown in one's capability to perfectly replicate functional cells. Since healing involves repairing tissues and bone, I assume this results in the creation of perfectly functional cells compatible with the healer's own biology, which are more or less identical to the cells present in the caster's body at that point in time. Thus, wouldn't a focused and skilled healer be capable of permanent self-sustenance?

Furthermore, how do components fit into the equation? For example, take that Fireball spell. If an open flame is nearby, can the caster get a "discount" on his energy expenditure if he simply manipulates that open flame instead of manifesting a completely new flame? Can one drain ambient heat from the environment to get a similar, if small, discount to cast said Fireball as well?

Additionally, can one quantify this "Life Force"? How does it work, exactly? Does it simply accelerate one's physical deterioration or is there a way to replenish one's reserves? For instance, can a high-calorie diet, full stomach, and/or regular exercise improve one's longevity?

And in reference to vocal components, are there specific phrases that are universally used, a la Harry Potter, or are we working on a more Dresden Files-esque system, in which the vocal component simply has to be a word the caster associates with that spell? (Ex. One person says "Fuego" to cast a fire spell while another might say "Ignis" for the same)

Finally, am I over-thinking this? I tend to do that often, sorry.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:26 pm 

Owner

Medals: 14
Villain of the Month (2) Original Character (1)
Best Group RP (1) Longest RP (1)

You can "enchant" items with magic, as if you are taking a part of your soul and placing it into an item, which can last for X amount of time depending on how much you put into it. Place a whole young soul into something and you can have a lifetime worth of uses. Only thing that cannot be enchanted is the metal native to the Mountain Kingdom.

The fire, water, etc are bound to the same physics as the world they are summoned in. So it can be doused with water and such. The more power that a caster placed into the spell the stronger it would be and the longer it would last.

You can use magic to heal your own physical wounds, but that would still cost you life in doing so. The life force is measured in rapid ageing progression. Essentially you are using your soul to power your spells, because it is your soul that is blessed with the power.

A caster can get a "discount" if they use existing elements and merely manipulate them.

As for Vocal components, it would be left up to the person to make up the spell, but it would have to included in the spell when it was cast.

"Any fool can write. It takes a genius to read"~Dadsky.
"Draco didn’t listen, so Hermione shut him down the best way she knew how"......"She set that ****ing on fire."
"Ausan: She's beauty, She's grace, She'll punch you in the face"~Smexy Awesome Fossil
Like Gaming? Want to Game with me? Or even just show your support? Check out my Twitch Channel!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:46 pm 

Longest RP (1)

Groovy. Mostly understood, but for a few small things. As I mentioned before, physical ageing and deterioration is caused by the body's growing inability to perform mitosis perfectly. One retains his/her biological youth through cellular replication. Thus, could one not simply halt that ageing process by casting a spell which supplement's the body's mitotic capabilities?

How does the "soul" work in this setting with relation to that? If a person undertakes the endeavor outlined above, what happens once this reserve is tapped out? Does the individual simply become a brain-dead, comatose husk? Are there any ways to restore this reservoir by mundane means, such as by doing things one could consider "spiritually healthy" (i.e. spending time with family, religious ceremony, relaxation)?

In addition, can a person use other mundane methods to improve his/her internal store of power? For example, can a mage work for longer periods of time with high calorie intake, rigorous exercise, and caffeine?

And one final question: What happens to magic once someone invents soul music?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:52 pm 

Owner

Can't use your own magic to make your eternally young as that is your soul powering the magic and once it is gone, you die.

You can't get more than what you are given, at best you learn to control it better and use it more efficiently, so that you don't use more than you need when you need it.

There is no way to get it back. Once it is gone, it is gone.

What do you mean by, soul music?

"Draco didn’t listen, so Hermione shut him down the best way she knew how"......"She set that ****ing on fire."
"Ausan: She's beauty, She's grace, She'll punch you in the face"~Smexy Awesome Fossil
Like Gaming? Want to Game with me? Or even just show your support? Check out my Twitch Channel!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:54 pm 

Longest RP (1)

That was an attempt at humor. I was implying that copious amounts of funk could be used to supplement spellcasting.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:01 pm 

Owner

I am trying to answer these questions for you, in as complete a manner as possible.

And given you brought up music and magic I was not sure if you meant something like a bard.

View Likes PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:15 pm 

Longest RP (1)

Apologies. My jokes tend to be rather deadpan and under-emphasized. Sorry if I struck a chord. That was a pretty bard attempt at humor on my part. Not my most clef-er moment. And on that note, I think everything's been answered. Muchas gracias, honored Admin, and sorry about that bit of confusion and my ridiculous over-analysis. Really looking forward to getting started.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:13 pm 

Owner

No problem and no card was struck, as you put it, but I was just trying to be as helpful as possible for you. No need to apologize I am glad that I could get you all the information that you needed.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:16 am 

Owner

Location: Within the darkest recesses of your mind, plucking at your heartstrings.

Necromancy, if it's from Olahn Korlarin, has the same negative effects that you'd have otherwise when casting; It merely gives you a little more longevity as you're draining someone else initially. It is, however, extremely frowned upon, to the point of being a near social pariah.

You'd have to speak to either Ganelon or Boss LeBlanc if you want to explore the blood magic type, given it's solely in the Mirelands. I can only speak for what I run and what I know, specifically.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:25 am 

Owner

Speaking from the Olahn side, no. There's not. I went into explanation as what you ask falls under that category in my kingdom.

I'd shoot Gan or Boss a PM, though, to ask about their type of magic and whether or not that'd be feasible as it operates differently. Or, I can point them in this thread's direction.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:49 am 

Owner

There are no objects imbued with magic, no. It would have to be enchanted.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:37 pm 
World Manager

1st Year (1)

Explain more stuff about magic? Why, I'd love to. The terms "soul" and "life force" are interchangeable - I'll be using the former.

Extending one's lifespan by siphoning another creature's soul is impossible. This is not a failing of any particular method of magic but a fundamental issue with the nature of the soul itself. Although Olahn Korlarin's necromancers and many practitioners of blood magic understand how to use souls other than their own to power their magic, two souls cannot be added together to increase the longevity of one. They aren't simply sources of energy that can be split and combined like water - each one is unique to its body, and the body itself would reject an unfamiliar soul even if it was empty, as would a soul somehow separated from its body. Evidence of this can be seen in the mechanics of blood magic, since the blood from which the practice's name is derived must come from the same body as the soul being sacrificed.

This has been discussed before, but using magic to reverse or delay the effects of physical aging likewise cannot enable someone to live forever. Once their soul has been expended, they will die regardless of the state of their body. It is worth mentioning, however, that aging is nearly guaranteed to claim someone's life before their soul naturally "runs out" as the animating force of their body, and only career mages usually die as empty vessels. If something were to preserve a subject's body and they did not hasten the expenditure of their own soul, they could theoretically live on average to be about 10 years older than expected.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:13 am 

Owner

What we have listed in Mirelands and Olahn Korlarin are what can be done and what level they can be done at. All information is listed in the respective ooc information threads.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:54 am 
World Manager

1st Year (1)

I'll confess that the Mirelands' info thread is in dire need of some tidying up, but I can tell you right now that anything one of their initiates would be allowed to perform that was likely to be witnessed by others, would need to be subtle to the point of leaving reasonable doubt that magic was even involved. They'll kill their own members for violating this rule, even, because that's simply how dangerous the potential rediscovery of blood magic could be to both themselves and their kingdom.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:06 am 

Owner

Naturally occurring abilities such as those do not exist. They exist, but only in the form of magic. This world has been defined and written out in quite a bit of detail; What we've listed in the various breakdowns of the world's facets is what exists.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:13 am 

Owner

Magic is very much defined and is meant to be more of a tool and less just some kid with a flamethrower.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:17 am 

By the power of Grayskull!!

Oh snapplecrap somebody's actually asking a question about magic whoaaa.

So, I'm considering hopping into this, assuming it becomes a bit more active. Fun. And I'm probably gonna import my main IRC roleplay character, because I'm lazy and I wanna throw him into this forum somehow and did I mention that I'm lazy.

But here's the thing - the character has elemental power granting him minor dominion over the forces of weather (calling down lightning, riding wind, etc etc), and he primarily uses them in conjunction with weaponry in order to pull off some hella combos; but these powers primarily stem from a genetic relative belonging to a species that has dominion over weather - some kinda weather sprite or whatever. I've never actually come up with a specific race, but the basic result is a human with hella weather skillage.

Would that still qualify as standard magic and stem from his life force, or would it qualify as a natural ability and stem from his general endurance like melee combat does?

John Cena Theme MIDI. Because why not.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:42 am 

Owner

Unfortunately, I can tell you that your character wouldn't work in Chowretat. The biggest issue is your character being human as said at the end of your last paragraph: "...but the basic result is a human with hella weather skillage." Here in Chow, the world hasn't progressed to the point that the Olahn deities would bestow such abilities on a human. At this point, they're heathens, obsessed with their sciences with no faith in anything they cannot create and explain themselves. And, with the magic you speak of, it's specific to Olahn, gifted to them through a blessing that shows itself in their life force. There are no people who present these abilities naturally.

The only other magic available is Blood Magic, that the Nezumi of the Mirelands wouldn't teach to a human, let alone someone outside their own kind.

So, while I'm sure that the character concept is an awesome one that fits the verse you wrote him in within the IRC realm, it's not transferable here. That's one of the pitfalls many have fallen into while attempting to bring something premade into Chowretat. With the extensive lore we've developed, anything that has been created prior doesn't fit.

I hope this helps! Any further questions, please let me know.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:21 pm 

By the power of Grayskull!!

Alright, then. As fun as zapping people with lightning would be, I guess I'll focus him around weapon combat rather than mixing and matching traits.

RIP hella weather skillage. You won't be missed, because I'll still do stuff with you on IRC, but you'll have to go when it comes to here.

John Cena Theme MIDI. Because why not.