All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:15 pm 

Medals: 6
Dedicated Partner (1) Most Patient (1)
1st Year (1) 2nd Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (0)

Juliana walked outside to the yard of the "school" with a book in her hand, intent on finding a quiet place to sit and read outside. It had been a few months since this place had been recommended to her and her parents, and few weeks now since she had started the program. It was a school for psychics, or, as they liked to phrase it, individuals with enhanced cognitive abilities beyond that of the norm. Some of them had some ability resembling telepathy, others a form of empathy, precognitive dreams, psychometry, and so on. None of their abilities were strong right now, though, despite their potential. Many of them were actually barely recognizable as abilities.

They were, in general, all pretty weak and very poorly controlled. Some people couldn't keep themselves from using their ability and, for example, basically constantly heard the thoughts of all those around them, while others were unable to use their ability consciously, using it when something triggered their subconscious mind to use it, or others like herself used them unconsciously while asleep. Some of the senior students had limited conscious control over their abilities, but it was very rare for any of the first or second year students to be able to consciously use their abilities, or to be able to use them for anything useful. In theory, the goal of this school was to help them to develop and learn to control their abilities. To what end, no one really knew.

It was a transition but she had adjusted well enough to life here, the routines, classes, testing, and people. It was certainly a different environment from her high school, but then again, many of the kids were still fresh out of high school and still in that mind set, so their behavior was pretty reminiscent of high school. Many thought that they were special because of their powers, others felt insignificant knowing that they weren't as unique as they thought, and others, like Jules, took comfort in knowing that even if they were still freaks, at least they weren't alone in that anymore. So in that way, it was a lot like high school. You had those who thought that they were the best thing since sliced bread, those who were insecure, and those who just wanted to be normal, or at least something resembling normal.

As anywhere, though, there were good people to be found, if you were open to finding them. She had made a few friends here already, including Elijah, so it was going well enough in that regard. She still wondered exactly what the point of this place was, what their goal was, what the purpose of these tests truly were, what the end game was. She was trying her hardest not to turn into a conspiracy theorist, or at least not to let her suspicions make her sound like she was one.

That was easier said than done, though. There were some shady things that were going down, or at least that's what she thought. It wasn't as though anyone was ever able to confirm as much, but she wasn't the only one wondering. No one dared ask questions where they might be overheard. Some of the more carefree individuals didn't ask questions at all, although she could not confirm whether this was because they were oblivious to such things or because they simply wished not to see them.

At any rate, she thought that as time went on, the answers would reveal themselves one way or another. Of course, she had no intention of waiting for the answers to come to her, but neither did she intend to go looking for trouble where it wasn't already present. She wasn't looking to become some kind of problem child that was watched day and night. It wasn't as though she were opposed to standing up to these people if they really were doing shady things, but she had no intention of doing so prematurely, as that wouldn't do anyone any good. Likewise, it wouldn't do any good for her to act without proof, as she didn't want to seem crazy, or to do something only to find out that she had been wrong all along.

"Uggghhhh!" she groaned to herself, ruffling her own hair with her free hand. Sometimes she wished she could be like those who went around without a care in the world, acting as if nothing was wrong, making friends, going on dates, trying to at least pretend they were normal. When was the last time she had gone on a date, anyways? Before her nightmares had gotten so bad that her parents decided to start drugging her, probably. After that, she had become a bit of a hot mess. She became hyper-alert, high-strung, neurotic. At any rate, it had been a while. Not that dating was high on her list of priorities at the moment, anyways.

She sighed to herself as she found a place in the grass and sat down, immediately flopping herself backwards to lay in the grass. As soon as she hit the ground, she made an 'eep' sound, quickly sitting up and tilting her head back to look at the boy behind her who she had careless sat down in front of. "Sorry," she apologized, nervously rubbing the back of her neck. "I guess I should get out of my head and start paying attention to the real world, huh?" she admitted somewhat bashfully. She was thankful that he had been aware enough of his own surroundings to avoid tripping over her, as she was quite certain that wouldn't have been a pleasant experience for either of them.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:13 pm 

“Adam Szofer. Do you know why you're here?” - the man in black queried Adam, with voice of a stereotypical FBI agent, but none of one's demanour.

„No? What's going on here anyways? Why am I under arrest?” - he asked. He sensed his thoughts: He deemed him a killer... but why? Adam never... actually, he did. Indirectly. And if they think it was him, they know how come. Adam's found out.”

„You are not under arrest, not really. You are, however, in a pickle.”

In a dank storehouse, with only a ceiling light above Adam for a lighting and an agent before him who knew what he did and was capable of, Adam had no choice but to be honest about what he thought: „Just tell me what do you know of me. You'd be embarrassed to commit me through normal channels of justice.” - he said. Perhaps he caught that notion in the Agent's thought stream, perhaps he figured that out by himself.

„You are Adam Szofer. 18 years old, Polish national. Chicago Kensington Academy is where you got your high school degree. The same school that saw 20 people, no less, die due to school shooter two years ago. Due to the killer himself and, yours truly.” - he pointed at Adam - „ You had a history with perpetrator. The perpetrator was screwing you over. Then you found out you can read thoughts and influence mood” - Adam at that pace has sent an involuntary wave of distress, causing all in the room to shudder momentarily - „Like this, yes.” - the agent quickly regained composure. „You used that for revenge, driving the perpetrator to do his thing.”

There was no point denying anything. Both agent and Adam knew they could not prosecute him via usual channels of justice. „It's all true. No idea how did you found out, but it's true. I was angry, so I took it out, but if you know as much about my life later on, you'll know that I'm past that. I swore to never again use my ability like that and I kept my word. Can you trust me on that?” - he asked, pleading. No answer.

„There's one more thing. You can't stop reading other people's minds. It's out of your control.”
They knew that too! Adam gasped. „How?”, he asked.

„We're closer to you than you think. That's also beside the point. I have an offer you can't refuse.”

Adam once heard that American state is very akin to the mob, in how they operate and make people pay their dues. A mob that will educate you, adequately protect you and let you choose your own Boss, but a mob nonetheless. Never it seemed more true than now.

„We have a college for people just like you. We'll teach you how to regulate your powers. We'll teach you how to expand them. Once graduated, you'll have very interesting career options before you. What do you say?”

„There's a catch somewhere there, right?” - Adam asked. He was defeated, surrendered and consigned his soul to God already; he was convinced the FBI could just drop him and dump him in the middle of nowhere.

„You'll see. Does it matter? It's an offer you can't refuse anyway.”

The agent was right on that. Adam consigned his temporal life to the government, so that he may yet have a chance at it. Soon, he was riding on bus to the academy the agent spoke of, after tearful farewells to his mother and father. There was only one thing he remembered from their farewell and it was what they wanted him to remember the most: That he was to always remain true to himself and his own ideals, whatever it took.

„What are even my ideals?” - Adam wondered as he pondered on what he promised. His parents thought there could not be a mind that was too open. Adam realized they were wrong: His mind sometimes appeared so open to notions, that it sometimes forgot where it stood.

2 weeks later

At least they did not do the big speeches when the semester started. From what he saw, the school he was in was somewhat remote, same for the boarding. Adam settled in upon a room not that much unlike rooms commonly associated with students. For a first year, he had a lot to figure out around.

„What was your name? You don't seem from here” - a teacher asked him before a class.
„Adam Szofer. I was born in Poland” - he answered dispassionately, sensing confusion from a teacher.

„Do you understand all I'm saying?” - she continued.

Yep. This was going to Adam's cringe compilation. They thought to help him control his capacities as a psyker, but did not even knew who he was yet. „I did my whole high school here.” - he answered, annoyed.

The classes were sure the weirdest part. So far, they all seemed like examinations more than anything to help. Tell what someone thinks, apply emotion to someone. Like he was teaching them, not the other way around. Either they start off early with this school, or speak untruth of their intentions – Adam thought – which speaks badly of their will. I have to stay vigilant, though technically I'm at their mercy. „You'll see” - the voice of the agent echoed.

After the „class”, Adam went to the courtyard to gather thoughts on what was going on, only to find a girl, quite literally under his feet, getting up and speaking to him. Emotions of startled suprise and tension not often seen, echoed through his mind. So much weariness, for a girl like that... with such a face, such... Adam snapped out of himself quickly to cogitate a response, but not before sharing a smile.

„The real world is so much more than what's around us anyways. It is not often seen, though it is known.” - he answered, trying to soothe her nerves and extended hand to help her up. Adam was almost castigating his thought – Most people, even touched by the psyker's abilities, would only be bored by philosophy, right? Yet Adam still wanted to calm her somehow. Of course, he could apply a psychic soothe. But he just met her. He never wanted to use his power too whimsically, especially if he was not that controlling over it. What happened at his high school, could never happen again. And through restraint, and the small acts of kindness as seeking to calm the girl down, Adam hoped to prevent that.

„I'm more curious about a new acquaintance than startled, really. Name's Adam, by the way. I just arrived. I take it you've established yourself around here. Nothing better to show me around somewhere, especially when I find little use of making friends. And of course, I'm quite pleased to meet you, regardless of circumstance.” Adam's voice was slightly deep, yet silky just as much, layered in accent typical of a Slav-tailored tongue.. As always, he had his deep blue, three-striped tracksuits on, and a beret. A simple shirt hid itself beneath the tracksuit jacket and that was all there was to it, contrasted to the girl's clearly multi-layered outfit. They contrasted in build: Adam was broad-shouldered, without being towering, while the girl was of light and lean feature, though her clothing made that quite subtle and was almost as tall as Adam.

„What of you? What's your name? And where you're from, perhaps? I lived in Chicago. Those who live there do have to watch where they sit, to be fair” - he chuckled. Humor could diffuse tense state of being as well as any direct psyker soothe, after all.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:51 pm 

Jules looked up at the boy who appeared to be close to her age, her brown eyes taking in his appearance, albeit from an upside down angle. She apologized for dropping herself, apparently, at his feet, and turned herself so that she could look at him normally, rubbing the back of her neck in an embarrassed manner. She didn't miss the way he hesitated for a brief moment, almost as though thinking on something before snapping himself back to reality. She had no way of knowing exactly what he was thinking, so she didn't dwell on it, instead returning his smile with one of her own.

The boy responded to her apology with a rather philosophical answer. It didn't bother her, but it did amuse her somewhat, as she guessed that he was trying to make her feel better. She laughed lightly, an amused and friendly laugh rather than one that suggested mocking or any other such intention. "You're a nice person, aren't you?" she asked with a friendly smile. It was a total guess, but she hoped she was right. She was trying very hard not to become miss doom and gloom and start looking at everything and everyone in a cynical manner.

She waved a hand gently when he offered his hand to help her up. "Believe it or not, I really did sit down on purpose," she laughed, somewhat embarrassed. It was a very easy mistake to make, as there were no others sitting around out here. There usually weren't. She came out here occasionally, but she was generally alone when she did. "You can sit with me, if you want," she offered, patting the ground next to her. She'd come out here to read, but she was not entirely opposed to some good old fashioned human interaction.

"Glad to hear I didn't scare you off, then," she replied to his statement. She opted to let him finish speaking before she would introduce herself. He informed her that he had just arrived and apparently thought she had established herself around here. She guessed that wasn't entirely incorrect, as she was pretty quick to adapt, so she had gotten used to everything already. She doubted she had been here much longer than him, perhaps not even any longer, unless, of course, he'd meant he literally just arrived today, but this place seemed too structured to be bringing in random stragglers throughout the semester.

Adam informed her that he lived in Chicago, but she had her doubts that he was born there. He looked and sounded European. He was taller than she was, with a larger, more broad-shouldered build, golden hair, fair skin, and blue eyes. His voice was pretty heavily accented, too, so if she had to guess, he had at least spent a good portion of his childhood there. That, of course, was conjecture at best, as she currently had limited information to go on.

For her own part, she was just a little taller than average with a thin but curvy build, a fact that her somewhat layered clothing partially concealed. Like his, her own hair could be called golden, but it was a bit lighter than his, something akin to a golden blonde with some very light chestnut undertones. In contrast to his piercing blue eyes, her eyes were a deep, warm brown. Where he wore a simple track suit and beret, her own outfit was far from simple. She wore a mid-thigh length pale-pink skater skirt with plum-colored knee-high socks, mid-calf length slate-colored boots, a fitted off-white/cream colored shirt with a long plum-colored hooded cardigan that fell about two inches above the hem of her skirt.

She chuckled lightly at his joke, "Is that so? Hmmm. Now that you mention it, I think I might have heard about that," she replied in a seemingly thoughtful manner, "But are you really from Chicago?" She asked curiously, tilting her head curiously before shaking her head. "Sorry. Maybe I should save that question for a more appropriate time?" she apologized, although she wasn't really sure when an appropriate time was. Probably when it came more naturally and not as an almost blurted out question. Quickly moving on from the question, she gave another smile, "Nice to meet you, Adam. My name is Juliana, but you can call me Jules," she offered, "I'm from Philadelphia. I suppose one should be careful where they sit there, too. But what can I say? I like to live on the edge," she shrugged casually, smirking lightly, knowing that was quite far from the truth, or at least it had been.

She had never been much of a risk-taker. She was a good girl, a people-pleaser, the perfect daughter, and perfect student. Well, at least until she wasn't. Until she'd become a freak and everything spiraled out of control. Now here she was, acting like some kind of rebel when really she was doing all she could not to stand out, to fly under the radar. She didn't want to be popular, important, or perfect. She just wanted to be normal, or to at least have some semblance of normalcy. All things considered, that was likely a pipe dream, but hey, so was dating Chris Hemsworth and that had never stopped her.

"As for your earlier statement, I guess you could say I'm established, but I've really only been here a few weeks myself, so there are things I'm still figuring out," she explained. 'And things I'm trying to figure out that I probably shouldn't be,' she thought to herself before continuing aloud, "But hey, if I can help you figure anything out, I'm happy to try," she offered with a friendly smile. She tried not to let her mind wander back to the things she wanted to know about this place, instead, focusing on something a little more positive.

"So, what brought you out here, anyways?" she asked, seeing as how many of the other students stayed inside, using the many facilities the school offered rather than spending a great deal of time outdoors. "I'm at least mostly positive that you didn't come out here with the sole intention of almost getting tripped by me," she joked with a light smile.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:56 pm 

Bearing some worry about the Jules still, Adam embraced her invitation and sat down with her, then focusing on her face, thus on her soul. A slight confusion, embarrasment and amusement has been revealed before him, calming his nerves about Jules' nerves. Now he knew for sure the laugh she expressed worked as intended. „You're a nice person, aren't you?” - he heard and he quickly looked away.

This „nice person” was hazed by the least empathic and most maleficent elements of his school, and instead of standing up to them when they went after others, he bottled his rage. This „nice person” has eventually exploded his wroth into discovering his powers and of course proceeded to make things right, by giving the bully, the jock, the smug snob, and many more, something much worse than what they ever dealt with. Something to culminate with Kensington Massacre. It got right at the 3rd place in death toll, right after Virginia Tech and Sandy Hook. 4th, if you count Bath School, 1927. Surely Jules heard of it. Surely she did not knew who was the cause behind the shooter... what a blissful ignorance. Hopefully it was going to stay that way for some time.

How did Adam managed to graduate after all what happened, evaded even him. He did remembered he had to take a week or two off, to Spain, where, as he'd tell people „the girl from under the hill righted his mind and showed him the way”. The girl who Jules, was found to slightly resemble.

Crux of the issue? Adam did not saw himself as a „nice person”, anymore than repentant one. Using the power only in subtlety and never in emotion, little acts of kindness, anything to convince himself he was higher than what he used to do, worked on purpose of averting Adam's use of power to spiral into a destructive spree of any kind.

„I let others be the judge of that. If you say I'm nice, then I suppose I am.” - he replied in neutral but calm voice, then proceeded to watch her face as she came to introducing herself.

The face really looked like that of the Spanish girl. Beneath the layers of clothing, surely Jules' figure was no different. There was coziness about her, combined with refined face which's smile was sending waves of strange warmth in Adam's chest... No no no, Adam, you're thinking with heart in place of mind, no no. Get your brain to do the thinking, if she shared that feeling, you would have received the echo of that. - he thought. Jules gave no hint of being startled again, so either she was cold and extremely inhibited (unlikely), or she did not had the same thought-reading ability as Adam had.

Once she was done, it fell on Adam to get back to real world from his empyrean thought plane.

„Philly” - he commented playfully.- „The city of brotherly love. But what's that without a brother?” -he continued on, but it was clear he now played his philosophy for the laughs, and has unwittingly sent a psychic wave meant to make Jules laugh, in conjunction with the jest. She jested herself, that she took risks, even if not a single of her mental echoes suggested that. From watching her exquisi... her face alone, Adam got a picture of a girl who's not out for adventure, which is also rather high-strung about her dislikes. No one should have to be stoic about what one hates, but it's a bonus, no?
„Come on, there's always a right time for that. I was born in Poland. I'm not even a citizen of this place” - he chuckled. „Many thanks in advance for help on showing around, I'm sure it will be used and appreciated.”

Of course, the next question was infinitely more personal than Adam's origins. What got him here.
How to tell a girl you effectively read her mind without upsetting her? You don't? You delay the answer? Surely she'd accept that.

But to delay the answer, is to keep her in the dark; in the dark to what Adam got from her head. A deceit in and of itself. Sometimes not touching a problem will let it grow and break out with a vengeance. The sooner he got it resolve, the less of an impact it will have.

„Something I knew was with me since I was 13 years old. I can... influence people's moods to extend and read some of their thoughts and attitudes. It used to be occasional, but now it's incessant. I can requisition it for my own ends, but it works on its own beyond my control. Meaning I.. can read some of your moods. Some of your thoughts. So I realize you would prefer a calm life to that of risks. And looking at you, in every interpretation possible in my context, I do wish that you eventually gain that.”
Adam let a small pause fill the moment, looking up in the sky - „I wonder what would you think of me if you saw my mind like I see that of others. I mean, I know, everyone including my folks tell me, that I stand out from others.” - It invaded his mind that he might seem pretentious calling it as such, and through his reaction on presence of Jules, he sought to quickly recover: „Which may be bad or good news for me. As we'll talk, you'll be the judge for that.” - he finished.

Evidently, Adam sought to be on good terms with Jules: Something unlike him. He was right when he said he was unlike others: He was a loner, found no comfort in popular pastimes or media, opting instead for indie video games and music listened to by few others. He said people were entitled to nothing, but looked forward to enable them to have more. He was a loner, of no active attempts to make friends, with few exceptions, like those who end up on his way like Jules had. He tended to stay at his room all day, even though he savored every moment outdoors. „Issue is, there are a lot of things about me that make little sense. Not sure I can explain them all.” - he added. „I assume your relocation went well. Mine was rocky and I still have to unpack stuff I have. Not that easy to fit all the stuff I've got on me on where I live now.” - Adam continued, in hope Jules might know a thing or two about tidy ordering of rooms.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:53 pm 

Jules didn't miss how he looked away when she suggested he was a nice person, seemingly dwelling on something, although she could not say what, for some time. When he responded to her question it was with something of a non-answer, really. She tilted her head a bit, "Well, that's a bit vague, don't you think?" she asked before shrugging. She'd go with her first impression unless proven otherwise.

"Well, that doesn't matter, anyways. I'm usually right, so how about we both just believe my intuition, hmm?" she was partially joking, as her smile would give away, but only partially. She got the feeling that he did not believe that about himself, and while she had no proof that he was wrong, she also had no proof that he was right, and if past experiences with psychics was any indication, he was probably wrong. And at any rate, people who were truly bad did not often waste their time worry about whether they were good or bad. They were usually too busy being bad.

She chuckled a little and shrugged at his brotherly love comment, "Just another city, I suppose," she replied in a slightly more serious manner. That was all it had ever been to her, anyways. "Well, a city with some great sandwiches, anyways. I mean, have you ever had authentic Philly Cheese steak? So good," she leaned her head back and closed her eyes, as if she were dreaming of eating one, the smallest little smirk tugging at her lips.

"Is there, now?" she asked, chuckling again. "Hmmm, I was right, then," she nodded with evident self-satisfaction when he answered that he was from Poland and not a citizen of the United States. He thanked her in advance for showing him around and she gave him a very casual, almost half-hearted two-finger salute, as if to say 'you've got it.'

For a moment, Jules thought he was don't to avoid answering her or give her some half-answer about what had brought him out here. His hesitance made her wonder about the reason and, while not something she ever thought she would consider as a legitimate option for why someone had acted as they did, she wondered if it were related to his abilities. Did he have a sense related ability, such as mind-reading or empathy? If so, had he heard or felt what she had been thinking about before? She hoped she was wrong on that.

Of course, she was right in at least part of her guess. For the remainder, she couldn't say just yet. "Well, I appreciate the honestly," she replied, not seeming terribly surprised by this answer. She smiled a little when he said he wished she could have the life she wanted, peaceful and calm. "I appreciate the thought, but I suspect my future will be neither calm, nor without risks," she sighed lightly, placing her palms on the ground behind her and leaning back on them.

She looked over at him as he mused about what she would think of him if she could see his mind like he saw others. She looked thoughtful as he spoke , not speaking until he had finished. "Well, I suppose we will never know. After all, mind reading is not among my skills. Thank God for small miracles. From what I've heard, it's awful. At least while you can't control it," she was trying to make a joke, even though her tone was mostly serious and her words were true.

"At any rate, take a look around you, friend. We all stand out. Or at least we did. That's why we're here, isn't it? We're all freaks, outcasts, weirdos. None of us are normal. If we were, we'd be attending normal universities, or working normal jobs, not going to some 'school' for psychics, if you want to call us that," she pointed out. "I used to think that was a bad thing, being weird, standing out. I hated it. And hell, maybe I was right. But now I wonder if maybe it's not so bad? Who knows, maybe we'll end up being bad-ass superheroes?" she laughed lightly, "Maybe not, but hey, I'm trying to look at whatever bright side I can find in this crazy situation," she chuckled before lying back in the grass, looking up at the sky and falling silent.

She glanced his way when he spoke up again. "Life doesn't make sense, so how can any of us living it really make sense?" she mused before shrugging. "Anyways, it isn't like I expected you to explain all of the complexities that make up who you are. Certainly not now, or when we just met," she replied, waving off his apparent concern. "Lord knows I can't explain all of mine," she shook her head.

"Hmmm? Oh, yeah, I guess. As well as can be expected," she shrugged, having no real major complaints about the process, other than the fact that it was necessary. But it would have been necessary if she'd gone to a more... traditional university, too, so she couldn't really complain. "Hmm. Having trouble fitting your stuff in your little dorm-like room? I might actually be able to help with that. Organization happens to be one of my many mundane abilities," she joked, trying to lighten the mood.