All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View Likes PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:42 pm 

I have returned, and extremely happy to be back!

Medals: 3
1st Year (1) 2nd Year (1)
3rd Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (2)

He needed no coaxing to sit down after this latest assault upon his mind from a new vision. He bowed his head in silence as he attempted to clear his mind from the pain which always seemed to be an aftermath of such things. A few swigs water helped, but the lingering moment he had of the vision remained in his mind and heart. She had asked him if such might actually come true, and it was then he realized she had actually seen what he had. Yet, Grand Master Skywalker had always quoted his own beloved Master as saying:

'Always in motion the future is.'

It was a lesson Luke had made sure to impress upon Thal-ion Serr; for it was clear to the Grand Master that visions came often to the young Jedi. He wanted to make sure Thal-ion understood such visions were not a clear map of what was to come...only what might be.

"Perhaps," he allowed quietly to his new friend. "Master Skywalker always warned the future was never set." Even so, the vision troubled him. He had never heard of such a Zabrak warrior before, and certainly not one wielding a crimson blade like some Sith. Of course, it could be a new foe that had arisen. If so, was it possible they would find him at the station they were even now heading for? That made little sense considering the battle seemed to be taking place in the desert. Yet, by all accounts of the brief image, it was to be soon. The nearest desert planet he knew of was Tatooine, but that was parsecs from where they were going.

"I do not know, but we must trust in the Force. This warning should be kept in mind, but not feared," Thal-ion said this friend as he looked up at her. He had not realized she was touching him, and something about this simple moment sent a wave of peace through him...and sparked something within him he could not identify. He placed a comforting hand over her own, and took a deep breath...letting the Force flow over him softly.

κείμεθα, τοῖς κείνων ῥήμασι πειθόμενοι.
That here, obedient to Spartan law, we lie."

Epitaph of Simonides

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
View Likes PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:02 pm 

Medals: 4
Dedicated Partner (1) Most Patient (1)
1st Year (1) Contest Winner (1)
Blog: View Blog (0)

Alethea was glad that he sat without putting up a fight. Even among Jedi, many guys were prone to trying to act tough, even when they should take time to rest. She was glad he wasn't that way. That was one less thing for her to worry about. After he sat, she lost herself in her thoughts, not really paying any attention to the fact that her hand still rested on his shoulder. She knew she shouldn't worry over it. After all, worrying did nothing to change things, it only caused unrest in the mind. That was something she could not afford in the coming mission. Likewise, it was something Jedi should not allow themselves to fall prey to. There is no emotion, there is peace. she recited the words in her mind, taking a deep breath and calming herself.

He was right. The future was always in motion. Visions were never set in stone, they showed a possible future, rather than a definite future. This put her mind at ease somewhat, yet she still couldn't shake this nagging feeling somewhere in the back of her mind. In that vision... they had been fighting in what appeared to be a desert. This made little sense, considering their destination, and the fact that they were a pretty good ways away from any desert planets. What, then, had he seen? Where had they been, and why? She had no answers to these questions, so she put them aside for the moment, keeping them in the back of her mind, reminding her that they had to remain vigilant in the mission to come. For now, however, it would be a good idea to rest, relax, and perhaps get to know the one she would be working with, at least for the duration of this mission.

She decided to take his words to heart and trust in the Force, as they had always been taught. They needn't fear what was to come, only use what they had seen as a warning to bear in mind. "Right," she replied with a nod, giving him a small smile. It wasn't until he placed a comforting hand over hers that she realized that her hand still rested on his shoulder. She blinked, a little surprised by the sudden touch, or perhaps the sudden realization that she had been touching him all this time. She shook her head, telling herself that there was no reason to react this way. Still, she couldn't help but feel... something. Rather than dwell on it, however, she simply gave him a small smile, taking a deep, but subtle breath to calm herself.

After a few moments passed in silence, she decided that, perhaps, it would be good if they got to know a little about each other, since they would be working so closely together. Besides, it wasn't as though they had anything better to do for the remainder of the journey. "Ummm... So..." she tried to think of something to say before dropping her head in something that resembled defeat. "I really am... very bad at this," she looked back at him and smiled somewhat sheepishly. "I thought... Maybe we should get to know one another. But I can't seem to find a place to start," she admitted somewhat timidly, something that was also odd for her. She wondered if, perhaps, he might be at least a little better than she was at this.

"The line between what brings us pain and what sustains us is far thinner than one imagines." - Klaus Mikaelson.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
View Likes PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:50 pm 

3rd Year (1)

Thal-ion could tell she was really trying to get to know him more, but the words simply would not tumble out of her mouth smoothly. He was not much better at such things; being somewhat of a recluse, but his Master had wanted him to learn more about diplomacy. Those lessons had given him some ability to speak rather than trip over his words, but he was still getting use to such things. Interaction with others was not easy for him. Doing so often brought visions of them from the Force...the past, the present, the future...old friends long gone. Yet, Thal-ion knew she was right in the attempt. After all, they needed to understand one another, and while the training session together had been one filled with insight...it was only on that level.

"I am learning how to interact more with people," Thal-ion began. "Master Tionne, she is my Master, says I am bit of a recluse, and did not think such a role was meant for me. So, she began teaching me about diplomacy and dealing with others." Thal-ion paused as he motioned for his companion to sit across from him. Only after she did so would he continue his thoughts. "Master Tionne said it was important for me to learn the fine art of diplomacy. That not by combat alone was a Jedi always able to solve things. I confess," he chuckled a bit, "I am still learning what she was talking about, but she assures me I have quite the actual talent for such things. Me, the quiet and reclusive Jedi student. The very idea of me negotiating with people seems rather silly, but apparently I read people well...a talent necessary for diplomacy." Again, the young Jedi paused as he gazed into Alethea's eyes for a moment. The gaze continued for several more heartbeats before he looked down at the glass of water he was holding. "You might say she believes I have some true ability for such things. Perhaps she is right...I do not know. Of course, she also says I am way too hard on myself...and too modest. She could be right about that as well," Thal-ion laughed more clearly.

He looked back up at her, and genuinely smiled. Despite the disturbing vision moments earlier; he could not help smiling at Alethea. It actually felt good to do so...and strange at the same time. Certainly he could not recall ever smiling for any female before - except two: his Master, and Lady Skywalker. They were the only two who had ever been able to get him to smile...at least those that were women. Even Lady Solo, her daughter, and other Jedi women at the Academy had not been able to get Thal-ion to smile. It wasn't that he was cold towards them, but he simply liked to focus on his studies...which he found did not really include smiling and laughter. He had been solemn even as a young boy, and a smile from him was rare. To smile at Alethea so freely felt wonderful for reasons he could not explain.

"I suppose all of us must learn other things outside of lightsaber combat and using the Force," he added with a slight shrug. "I bet your instructors taught you a variety of other lessons."

Epitaph of Simonides

View Likes PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:40 pm 

Alethea was quiet as her companion spoke, moving to sit across from him when he gestured for her to do so. He explained how his master had said he was a bit of a recluse and hadn't thought such a role was meant for him, so she had begun to teach him diplomacy. That made sense, considering that diplomacy was a very important skill for a Jedi to learn. Throughout time Jedi had often been diplomats, seeking to keep peace and even, when necessary, solve conflicts. Learning to use the Force and fight with a lightsaber were also important, but many would argue that diplomacy was among one of the most important skills in a Jedi's repertoire.

She smiled lightly as he continued, saying that his master believed that he had a true ability for such things, and she also thought he was too modest. She chuckled a bit at the latter, "I can't speak for your diplomatic abilities, but I think she's at least right about the latter," she replied, the same small smile lingering on her lips. It was strange, if not unwelcome, for her to smile so much. She wasn't quite sure if it was because she often lacked a reason to smile, or because she generally simply didn't feel that it was necessary, but outside of rare occasions, or with certain people, she didn't smile too often.

In general, she had a calm, nonchalant air about her. It wasn't cold or anything like that, but most people didn't find it incredibly inviting, either Most people were drawn to those with bright smiles and unending charisma, something she often wished she had. Perhaps she had it in her to be that person, but she found it difficult when she so often felt as though she were blocking everyone out because she didn't want to deal with the never-ending bombardment of their thoughts and memories. Her gift certainly had an exceedingly vast number of uses and benefits, but it was certainly not without its drawbacks.

He spoke again, adding that he supposed they must all learn things outside of lightsaber combat and using the Force. To the latter, she gave a nod. "He did. Diplomacy was among the first skills he attempted to teach me. He would always say that diplomacy is just as important a skill for a Jedi as wielding a lightsaber," she explained. "You might be surprised to know that diplomacy came rather naturally to me. I guess it helps that I can read people a great deal better than most," she shrugged at the latter. "I suppose you could say that it isn't talking to people in general that's the problem for me. Speaking, mediating, those things are easy. It's trying to have an actual conversation that I have problems with. Perhaps because in a social situation, there isn't a clear objective in mind. There isn't anything in particular that I have to convey. At least, not in the same sense. Does that make sense?" she asked, unsure if it did or not.

"I suppose you could say that I'm good at communicating when it comes to impersonal matters. When it comes to personal matters... Trying to actually get to know someone, or talk about myself, I just don't know where to begin. Those are skills I've never really had to use." she admitted somewhat bashfully. "My master always tried to get me to learn more about others without using the Force. My response, naturally, was to hone my powers of perception and observation, separate from the Force. He then clarified that he had intended for me to go out and make some friends among the other padawans, but I never really took that advice. I tried a couple of times, but I always felt like I made a fool of myself, so I just kind of stopped trying. I guess that was foolish of me," she admitted with a self-deprecating smile, leaning back and looking toward the ceiling.

"Well... Enough about me," she spoke again, feeling a bit nervous in the silence. Her gaze returning to him. "We're quite the pair, aren't we?" she asked in a joking manner while her mind tried to answer the question of how one began trying to get to know another person. Thus far, she'd come up with nothing of any real value. She'd already dismissed every possible idea she'd come up with. Her options seemed to be running dangerously low, so she thought she would have to think of something soon. Or perhaps she didn't? Perhaps just talking like this was enough to at least get to know a little about one another. Maybe she didn't need to think about it so much.

"The line between what brings us pain and what sustains us is far thinner than one imagines." - Klaus Mikaelson.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:45 pm 

3rd Year (1)

His sense about people was not as keen as her own...at least he didn't think so, but even so...he had the distinct feeling that Alethea would feel more comfortable if they simply kept talking. Having an actual conversation was not easy in the least. He understood about talking to others outside of the personal life, but when it came to the actual things close to mind, heart, and soul...that was another matter. Thal-ion Serr's curiosity was engaged, however, as he found himself wanting to know about Alethea. The best way he could do that was by talking...just talking. The desire to do something had a lot to do with overcoming ones fears. And, fear was wrong...especially for a Jedi. Thus, Thal-ion found himself actually talking to her.

"You know, I came to the Jedi Temple on Yavin IV when I was only five years old. I was born on Hapes, but my family thought something was wrong with me," he began, and a slightly amused look crossed his face as he thought back to it all. "For five years I didn't speak a word...my thoughts were often far in the past...or the future...though I did not know that at the time. The world around me barely existed. So, they took me to see Queen Mother Teneniel Djo. She was once a Force Witch of Dathomir...a princess of her people I guess, and strong in the Force. It was she who realized I had an amazing gift in the Force, and suggest to my family that I should go to Master Skywalker. That is how I came to be among the Jedi, and it was Master Skywalker who realized why I had so much trouble speaking. For a time, he trained me personally to bring me to the present, because so much of me was living in either the past or the future. Afterwards, he gave me to Master Tionne for training. She is not he most powerful of his former students...not even a little bit, but she understood my gift better than any other. I often listened to her ballads about the other Jedi from the past, or her lessons of Jedi History she has struggled to recover. She even managed to use my gift to help her sort out some things she had missing from her researches. I was happy to help, and...her music often was soothing to me."

It seemed that once he started; Thal-ion couldn't stop. "Of course, once the Yuuzhan Vong came, I was given to Master Kirana Ti for training...though I suppose I have always seen Tionne more as my Master. I found myself training with Kirana on Dathomir during the war while she was putting together a Jedi Praxeum among the Force Witches there that were her people. It was an interesting time. The Singing Mountain Clan were not use to having a male training among them, and perhaps that is why I became even more of a recluse even after the war was over. Eventually, I relocated to Ossus to continue my training, and was reunited with Tionne...though she had been savagely wounded during the war. Kirana was still my Master for lightsaber training and such."

Epitaph of Simonides

View Likes PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:13 pm 

Alethea was glad when he began to talk again, rather than leaving the ship in empty silence that she had no idea how to fill. To make things better, he was telling her about himself, which saved her from having to ask, something she wasn't certain she would have been able to do. He told her about his childhood, about how the world around him barely existed for the first five years of his life, as a result of his abilities, and subsequently, he didn't talk for those five years. She wondered if, perhaps, his somewhat reclusive nature now was due in part to that.

He continued, telling her about his time in the Jedi, about training under Master Skywalker for a time before he was given to another master and then, when the Yuuzan Vong invaded, another. He then went on to tell her about his training on Dathomir. She chuckled a little when he said that the Singing Mountain clan wasn't used to having a male train among them. "No, I imagine they weren't," she responded, tilting her head a bit, wondering what part of the experience had made him a recluse. Did they exclude him? Rather than ask, however, the words that came out were, "I'm sorry to hear that she was injured so badly."

She was quiet for a moment before deciding that, since he had told her about his own past, it was only fair that she share hers. "I was taken in by the Jedi when I was four. I was found by a Jedi when I was wandering the streets after having run away from the foster home I had been living in. I'd bounced around between a few foster homes by that time, so it wasn't really anything new. Evidently people don't like it when a child can read their thoughts. I suppose it was more because of the fact that I was a child and I didn't know any better, so I had no reservations about bringing up the things I saw, sometimes at less than optimal moments," she chuckled a little. "At any rate, I suppose I was a bit of an odd child anyways. When people found out I 'heard voice' they thought I was crazy, and in some ways they weren't entirely wrong. It was rather taxing to hear the thoughts of anyone and everyone around me at any given time. Sometimes it was hard to distinguish my own thoughts from the thoughts of others," she went on explaining.

"In all honesty, I don't know what kind of condition my mind would be in now if Master Zan hadn't found me when he did," she admitted, staring almost absent-mindedly at a random point in the room. "Anyways. He found me and unlike others, he didn't think I was crazy. He sensed my gift and told me that the Force was strong with me, that he could teach me to use the incredible gift I'd been given. That was the first time anyone had ever called it a gift," she smiled fondly before continuing. "I was so happy to leave that place. To learn to control the voices. I gladly left with him, and he brought me to the temple and I ended up becoming his padawan."

"As promised, he taught me to control my ability, and to put up a wall around my mind when I could not. He taught me a great many things, but that is the thing I am most grateful for," she continued with a smile. "During the war I went where he went, continuing to train with him, and even fought alongside him on a few occasions. I can't say that I am eager to repeat that experience, but I suppose we may find ourselves in a situation where we have no choice, if your vision does indeed become reality," she pushed off the thought and took a deep breath.

"Anyways. That's my life so far in a tiny nutshell," she gave a small smile, leaning back and looking up at the ceiling with a thoughtful look on her face. "You know... I've never really had much of a desire to make friends, and certainly not to talk about my past. But... With you, it's surprisingly easy," she admitted with a half-smile on her face. "I wonder why?" she mused, but shrugged, knowing that it wasn't worth dwelling on, as she would find no answers now.

View Likes PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:10 pm 

3rd Year (1)

For reasons he could not explain; Thal-ion enjoyed listening to her explain about her own past. As she talked about how Master Zan had saved her young mind from insanity; Thal-ion further found himself exceptionally grateful for Master Zan. It was rather illogical, but even so, the young Jedi Sentinel simply was overjoyed that Master Zan had been able to save his new friend from the chaos her mind was experiencing. His heart was truly happy to know she had found her place among the Jedi Knights. What really pleased him more than any of this was her confession at the end. She had told him how comfortable she felt talking to him...something she had apparently never experienced before. It was something that touched his heart in a way he had never felt before...something soft and warm, and Thal-ion let it reside there...glowing softly.

In answer to her softly spoken question; the young Jedi said, "I do not know, but perhaps it is an aspect of the Force." His answer was a mere whisper, and to be honest...he wasn't even sure about why he said that. The words just rolled off his tongue with purpose. He thought about his own answer for a moment before continuing. "Yes, perhaps it is an aspect of the Force between you and I. A bonding of friendship within the Force itself. A way the Force is telling us how much we shall need the other, but allowing us to open up to one another. For I have never told so much of myself to any other student at the Temple, and here I was telling you much of my own past into becoming a Jedi student."

His eyes met her own as he let the words settle in around them. He had never heard of such a thing before, but they were often told that the Force was an infinite mystery. Not even the best of Masters knew all there was to the Force. It was, therefore, possible, that the Force was indeed showing them how much they would need each other by helping them to feel comfortable in talking to one another about each other. A way for a bond to form between them when they would need each other the most.

And, with that insight, the Force seemed to flow between them all the stronger...yet a soft flow...not overpowering, but there with a gentle strength. It flowed between them and through them, and awe shone in Thal-ion's eyes.

Epitaph of Simonides

View Likes PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:48 pm 

The Force, huh? Perhaps he was right. The Force was a mysterious thing. It wouldn't really surprise her if such a thing were to happen. After all, Master Skywalker had said that they had been chosen by the Force, so it made sense for the Force to aid them in forming a bond so that they could complete the mission they had been chosen for. At least, that's what she thought. "Yeah, you might be right," she responded with a gentle nod.

She hadn't researched Force bonds a great deal, but she knew they existed, even if they didn't seem terribly common nowadays. From what she'd read, they seemed to be most common between a master and an apprentice. It was not, however, entirely unheard of for it to happen to those without such a relationship, and there were cases of it happening upon a first meeting, although these were rare and usually between two Force sensitive individuals with a strong affinity to the Force.

She wasn't certain this was that kind of bond, at least not now, but perhaps it was still a Force bond of sorts. She could feel the Force flow between them, which led her to believe that, whether or not if was the cause of this particular feeling, they were at least connected through the Force in some way or another. How strong it would prove to be was yet to be seen.

Of course, there was also the possibility that her ease in talking to him was simply because they connected on a more normal level. It wasn't unheard of for people to meet and feel comfortable around each other pretty much instantly. It had never happened to her, of course, but she had seen people take a liking to one another instantly. Truth be told, if she didn't know better than to let that emotion take hold, she might have been a bit jealous of those people. Either way, this was a bit of a new feeling, although not entirely unwelcome. She had never really opened up about her past and talked about it like that, so it was kind of nice to get it off her chest.

Her eyes met his as silence settled in and for a time, she let it, taking the time to think about everything a bit, as well as to examine the Force that followed readily, but gently, between them. It was fascinating, to be completely honest. Still, after a short time she spoke up once more, deciding to continue talking with him rather than getting wrapped up in her own mind, as she often did.

"Ummm... So... What do you do in your free time? When you're not training and such?" she asked curiously before looking as thought she were contemplating something. "Is that a weird question to ask?" she wondered more to herself than to him, shrugging and deciding to leave it at that. If it was weird, he could say so. She didn't think it was, but she didn't have a whole lot experience off of which to based that conclusion.

View Likes PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:17 pm 

3rd Year (1)

Her question, at first, took him a bit by surprise. After all, it was not something many asked him, but then...this was not a surprise considering how much of a recluse he was. He recovered his surprise afterwards with a gentle reassuring smile.

"It is not a question I get very often, to be honest, but not a weird one," Thal-ion told her before continuing to answer her question. "Dejark is something I play from time to time. Strategy fascinates me, and I suppose more so in games than in reality. Though I do read about the various tactics of leaders from the past: Admiral Ackbar, General Kenobi, Master Windu, Captain Rex, Lt. Commander Needa, and others. I have often written out scenarios of past battles, and what might have been done better to win them. Sometimes, this comes from a past vision of a conflict that intrigues me. I.......I do like to sing," Thal-ion admitted this last part blushing crimson. "I...I suppose it comes from spending so much time with Master Tionne, and later listening to the songs in the Singing Mountain Clan on Dathomir. I did not participate in their songs...I wasn't exactly welcome, being a male. Don't get me wrong; they weren't unkind to me, but neither was I ever fully welcomed there. Music, however, I have always found soothing. I play a bit of small flute that Master Tionne made for me, but I have never played it for anyone other than her. Nor has anyone ever heard me sing other than her...at least...I don't think they have."

The blush remained even as he spoke of the playing of his small flute...which he pulled even now from his tunic. It was a silvery blue with four holes on top, and extremely sleek. The whole thing was incredibly light, and barely the size of his hand.

Epitaph of Simonides

View Likes PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:53 pm 

Alethea returned his smile when he said it wasn't a weird question, even if he was rarely asked such things. Given that he was just as much of a recluse as she was, if not more so, she supposed that made sense. After all, most people didn't go out of their way to get to know reclusive people. Likewise, it was strange for someone as reserved as her to go out of her way to ask someone a question like that, but all things considered, she figured it was best that she make an effort to understand him a bit better before what was to come. Whatever it ended up being.

She listened as he explained that he played Dejarik from time to time, going on to say that strategy fascinated him, more so in games that in reality. He went on to explain that he had read about various tactics of leaders from the past, as well as having written out scenarios of past battles and what might have been done better. She enjoyed strategy herself, but she couldn't say she'd ever done anything like that before. She'd read about strategy a great deal, and she'd often contemplated things such as that, but she'd never gone so far as to write it out.

She couldn't help but think that it was sort of... cute... when his cheeks flushed red after admitting that he liked to sing. She hadn't the slightest idea why he would blush at such an admission, but somehow it seemed rather adorable, though she would never admit that, and the thought very nearly made tinted her own cheeks in a faint pink. When he finished, her eyes found the small flute in his hand and she smiled gently, noting the lingering pink on his cheeks. "Really? Well... I rather enjoy music myself, so I would love to hear sometime... If that's okay," she responded honestly with a somewhat timid smile on her face.

Rather than go on to give her own answer, this time she opted to allow him to ask, should he choose to. She was curious whether or not he would agree to play or sing for her some time. She would very much enjoy it if he did. She might even sing herself, if the opportunity arose, but she wouldn't count on that, as she was a bit bashful when it came to doing things like singing in front of others.

View Likes PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:12 pm 

3rd Year (1)

She actually liked music, and more to the point...desired to hear him play or sing in her presence. The very idea made him blush further since he had never done so for anyone other than Master Tionne. He gulped hard...his Jedi training no longer holding his emotions truly in check, but as he realized this...he took a deep breath and mentally shook the emotion away....though he was only partially successful. This very likely came from him never having such an emotion wash over him. He had never had someone ask him to play for them before. It both pleased and embarrassed him. There was a piece of music he had been studying recently, and this particular one now came to his mind. He looked down at the diminutive flute, and then back up to Alethea. For a moment, he considered simply trying to continue their conversation, but the very idea was cast aside almost immediately. It was as if he truly desire for her to hear this music...to share it with her. Not even Tionne had heard this one as yet. He had practiced it only in private.

Pursing his lips and wetting them briefly; he gazed at her openly...letting nothing be hidden as he opened himself up to the Force and the song. Once he set his lips to the flute; his fingers began to gracefully and slowly dance over the slender frame as he began to play. the music was called: Love Across the Stars, and apparently had come from a composer on the planet of Naboo some decades in the past. Softly, he let the music flow through him and in the Force even as he played the notes upon the flute. He put every ounce of his skill into it...put even his heart and soul into each note such as he never had before. He did not gaze at her...his eyes closed and his head slightly bowed as he played. The place where they sat was perfect for the acoustics of the area made the song resonate throughout the ship. When at last he finished it...he took a deep slow breath, and only then dared to look up at her again....slowly lowering the tiny flute as he did.

Epitaph of Simonides

View Likes PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:45 am 

Alethea was quiet, watching as he blushed even more when she said she wanted him to play or sing for her. She smiled just a little as she waited for his response, waiting to see if he would play or not. If he wasn't comfortable doing so right now, she would have understood. After all, they still didn't know one another that well. She just hoped that one day, perhaps, he would be comfortable doing so.

She was surprised, however, when he appeared to be preparing to play, his eyes gazing at her with a rather open expression. Likewise, he seemed to open up more to the Force, as she could feel the ever so slight shift. Moments later actually put the flute to his lips and began to play. His gaze left her as he closed his eyes and seemed to focus everything into the music. She'd never heard this particular piece, but she rather enjoyed it. It was quite beautiful, and he played it exceptionally well. It didn't hurt that the acoustics in this particular spot were rather perfect as well, carrying the song throughout the ship.

She let her thoughts disappear as she focused on listening to the music, letting it soothe her, making her forget the small headache that still lingered, as well as her worries. She smiled gently when he finished, slowly lowering the flute as he looked up at her. "That was beautiful. You're quite talented," her tone was gentle and her words sincere as she spoke. "Thank you for playing for me," she thanked him with a small bow of her head, a smile lingering on her lips as she did. "Perhaps you'll play again for me sometime."

View Likes PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:56 am 

3rd Year (1)

He could tell she enjoyed it...that it soothed her after he finished playing. It was in her grateful voice, and in the Force. He almost felt compelled to play for her again, but one was enough for the immediate moment. Thal-ion merely inclined his head in response to her desire to him play again some other time. Never had his music brought him as much joy and wonder as it had for when he played for Alethea. It was certainly a new sensation, and one he now let rest in the back of his mind.

"Music soothes me," Thal-ion confessed. "I...I sometimes use it to help in my meditations, because it helps me to relax and focus. The visions do not come unbidden when I play...not most of the time; although the music sometimes brings forth new ones. Usually these are not harsh and rapid, but flow with the music depending on what I am playing. Master Tionne says I have a rare talent for blending my music with the Force. She often said it was immensely soothing when she was studying some particularly difficult record of history. Perhaps I do have some talent in soothing others, and in my gift for music in general. I think if I had not been sent for Jedi training; perhaps I would have become a musician," the young Jedi Sentinel added with a chuckle. Truth was, he couldn't imagine not belonging to the Jedi.

"You know," he suddenly continued, "I was just thinking about our current assignment, and how our talents are both ways of exploring our surroundings in the Force. For you, it is people, and for me it is time. What an intriguing blend to bring together on such a mission as this...the discovery of a mystery surrounding a station in Wild Space." He put the tiny flute away, and looked out the nearest viewport...wondering at this strange combination. It was true the Masters tended to send those who would compliment each other on missions, but such a blend as this was...unique. Why had Master Skywalker sent the two of them above all others? What was going on at this mysterious station? And why did those huge oval ships surrounding a planet in his visions seem so blasted familiar. Ships were something he loved to know about. He was not a gifted pilot...decent, but hardly gifted like the Solo twins. Yet, he had loved studying the various types of starships throughout history...from the tiniest of fighters to the massive dreadnaught capital ships. Yet, for the life of him...he could not recall what those huge oval shaped warships were, and why he would be seeing their ship flying towards them. "Do...do you have the ability to jog someone's memory, Alethea? I have been trying to figure out what these massive oval warships were I saw in my vision, but I can't seem to recall them...even with my knowledge of starships."

Epitaph of Simonides

View Likes PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:26 pm 

Alethea smiled gently as he talked about the music, how it soothed him, helped him to meditate, even usually kept his visions away. He went on to talk about how his master had told him he had a rare talent for blending music with the Force, to which she nodded. She thought that this was indeed true. When he had played, she'd felt as though the music were flowing through Force, and the Force through the music. Perhaps this was why it was so soothing. Of course, she, too, found music to be very soothing, but this had been different. It was as though the music, or perhaps the Force, had simply carried her burdens away. It was a very unique talent indeed. "Well, you would have made a talented musician. But the Jedi would have lost a talented Jedi," she spoke honestly, leaning over and placing her elbow on the armrest, then resting her cheek in her palm as she spoke.

Hmmm. She had thought about this, too. Their talents certainly were an interesting blend, to be sure. She had contemplated why the Force might have chosen them. Why not others? She didn't know that she actually had an answer, but she got the very distinct feeling that his talent would be important to this mission. Something about what she had seen gave her the feeling that time itself would have a crucial part to play. The things she had seen seemed familiar somehow, but she couldn't quite place why. What was the greatest mystery to her was what part she had to play in all of this. Sure, she was exceptionally strong in the Force, and she had been told that her gift for telepathy was the strongest any of the masters had ever seen, but what use would it have in this mission? If this mission did indeed follow the path she predicted it would, what part would she play? She supposed there were many parts she could play, with or without her gift, but the thought lingered somewhere in her mind, a mystery she wanted very much to answer.

When he asked her if she had the ability to jog someone's memory, he brought her back to reality. "I don't have the ability to jog your memory, per se. I can search your memories for a specific memory, though, if I know what I'm looking for, and bring it to the forefront of your mind," she explained. It was sort of the same thing, but not exactly, so she felt the need to explain what it would actually entail. "I will forewarn you, I will be searching through your memories, so I will see things, however brief and fleeting," she further explained. It wasn't as though she couldn't look into his mind and see these things even without his permission, but she wouldn't do that.

She continued resting her face in her palm as she studied him and his reaction to her words. "It shouldn't take very long, though, and I will do my best to avoid digging into anything else, but I'll still see things. As much as I'd like to promise you I'll try not to remember them, I can't guarantee it. I am usually pretty good about filtering the information my mind actually takes in and remembers when I do things like this, but if I fail to filter something, it's basically in my mind forever, considering that my mind remembers pretty much everything I see or hear. Which is a real pain sometimes," she decided to be completely honest with him, just in case. In reality, she rarely failed to filter unnecessary information nowadays, but she wasn't perfect, so every now and then she might unintentionally see something she wasn't meant to see.

"Anyways, that's that. If you want me to try, and you think it will be helpful, then I'll do my best," she gave him a small smile. "I'll just need you to picture whatever it is that you are wanting me to find and, preferably, open your mind to me."

View Likes PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:20 pm 

3rd Year (1)

Thal-ion thought about it for a second, but the more he did...the more he knew he needed this key. Something about this particular vision disturbed him, because it was as if it was from something he had read, or studied, or heard about. And those ships...he knew full well those should be known to him, but he simply could not recall what they were. Thus, he found himself silently nodding to Alethea after she explained what she could do. He had never allowed anyone, except Tionne, to be so close to his thoughts. He guarded his mind so often, but now he knew this was not an option if Alethea was to be able to help. For a reason he could not explain - along with so much else that had been playing since meeting her - he had no problem with her exploring his thoughts. The barriers he had built came down naturally for her. It was something he would have to think on later, but for the moment...for the immediate moment...he focused on the massive circular warships he had seen surrounding the beautiful unknown world, and closed his eyes.

The ship came into view easily as he let the Force flow through him, but what it was still remained a mystery. He nodded silently to Alethea signaling he was ready for her to explore. Something about her exploring his thought excited him just a bit, but he pushed this emotion away. Now was hardly the time to lose his focus. This was important, and so, with the Jedi training he had been taken - the young Sentinel focused only on the ship...every curve, the size, the bristling array of laser cannons, markings...every detail he could summon from the vision. Another such image he brought to his mind at the same time. This one was of the datapad he had left behind containing every ship every known from as far back as the Old Republic best years to the current day. In this way, he hoped to guide her to where he knew the information had come from, but simply could not remember.

Yet, as he did so, something else in the back of his mind was working on the planet the ships surrounded. For it seemed to him the scene was not so unfamiliar...as if he had seen it in some old recording or something.

And, even deeper than that, there was still the wonder of expecting the brush of Alethea's mind to his own...

Epitaph of Simonides

View Likes PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:49 pm 

Alethea waited patiently for Thal-ion to decide whether or not to allow her access to his mind. It didn't take him long, though. She wasn't sure if it was because he felt like getting this answer was that important, or if it was because he wasn't really that apprehensive about her looking into his mind. Perhaps it was something of a mix of both. She thought it was likely a mix, as she couldn't even gain an answer for certain even as he opened his mind to her.

She felt his mind open up to her, the walls that had guarded his mind soon coming down, allowing her unhindered access to his mind. While he focused his conscious mind on images of the ship, giving her as many details as he could recall, including images of a datapad containing information on every ship as far back as the Old Republic, where she assumed he had found the information she was looking to acquire.

She took a deep breath, focusing her mind, allowing the Force to flow freeing between her mind and his own as she delved deeper into his mind, into his subconscious mind, into his memories. She did her best to block out the majority of things she saw, taking them in only enough to register whether or not they were useful before putting them out of her mind just as quickly.

It didn't take her long to find the memory in question. She then did her best to bring the memory to the forefront of his mind. This was, to be quite honest, something she had never truly attempted. Rather than being a simple observer, she was actively affecting his thought and mind. Despite never having done this before, it actually came relatively easily to her, as she applied principles similar to those used in telepathic communcation, persuasion, or other such abilities.

She managed to bring the memory to the surface rather than having to use telepathy to reintroduce the memory, which she had planned to do if she had not succeeded. With that, her job was done. She opened her eyes, her mind leaving his and returning to the present. "Trade Federation Battleships?" she frowned slightly as she thought about this, recalling the planet she had seen with the ships when she had taken in images from his mind. "Was that the blockade of Naboo?" she wondered aloud. That had happened before the clone wars.

Despite how surprising this perhaps should have been, it actually made sense, if brought about more questions. Perhaps they had misinterpreted what he had seen? Perhaps it was the past, rather than the future that he had seen. But then, why were they there? Perhaps it was not one or the other, but both the past, and their future?

That was not an easy thing to accept, but in reality, it made sense when she thought about the things she had seen, the things she had felt. Then there was also the things she'd seen from the minds of those affected by that storm. They were driven mad by visions of their own past and present, despite the fact that she felt no real Force sensitivity from any of them. This was, of course, a bit different than actually sending people to the past, but she couldn't eliminate the possibility.

She was temporary lost in her own thoughts, a contemplative look on her face as the thoughts raced through her mind. Just what was that storm? What was it capable of? What were they getting themselves into? She had no answers, but she kept the questions in the back of her mind as she looked up, her gaze returning to Thal-ion, although she didn't say anything at that particular moment.

View Likes PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:11 am 

3rd Year (1)

Battleships of the Trade Federation...an organization that had not existed since shortly after the Clone Wars. They had been part of the Separatists against the Galactic Republic, and from what the records had shown...was one of the main antagonists for the war. Naboo, though, in connection with the Trade Federation...that left only one thing in Thal-ion's mind: The Blockade of Naboo. It was not an event found in the history archives left over after the Clone Wars except in only a couple of places. Master Tionne had recovered one of these records from the private journal of one of the Queens of Naboo. The record had told of how the Trade Federation under Viceroy Nute Gunray had blockaded the peaceful world of Naboo to oppose the taxation of trade routes by the Galactic Senate. The event the young Jedi had seen in his vision matched the description of that particular event...at least some part of it. Yet, this raised more questions than answers. Why would he have seen their ship heading towards the Trade Federation warships surrounding Naboo; when such an event had taken place decades ago? Why did it matter to the two of them even now heading to investigate some mysterious station and a storm?

He thought back to the information from the briefing given by Master Skywalker. He had told them of how a few people had come back from that area around the storm driven insane from seeing things from the past or future. Was it possible this storm was somehow a manifestation of time? Perhaps even a gate to other places and moments in history...forward or backward? The very idea made Thal-ion's head reel from the sheer gravity of it all. If it was indeed some kind of temporal opening; then something was indeed wrong.

"That storm is a great deal more dangerous than either of us suspected, I think. We must find out the connection between the storm and the station nearby. Something is seriously wrong over there," the young Sentinel stated quietly as he gazed back at Alethea. He didn't dare believe the conclusion he was coming to, but it fit with the vision of this ship hurtling towards the battleships of the Trade Federation blockading Naboo...an event that had taken place a decade before the Clone Wars had even begun. His face grew severely grim as he narrowed his eyes.

Epitaph of Simonides

View Likes PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:05 am 

The blockade of Naboo was indeed something that was not found in many historical archives that had survived the Clone Wars. Still, it existed in a few obscure places. Alethea happened to enjoy spending a great deal of her free time reading and researching in the archives of the Jedi temple. She'd come across the mention of it in one of these archives. Admittedly, she didn't know any extensive details about it, but she knew the basics.

More importantly, though, she was interested in the relevance it held for them, rather than the details surrounding the event itself. It was pretty clear to her that what little evidence they had now pointed to them ending up in the past, likely as a result of this storm. When one considered the evidence at hand, it was the only logical conclusion, no matter how crazy it might sound.

She looked at Thal-ion as he spoke, giving him a nod. She suspected that it was very dangerous indeed, especially if her hypothesis was correct. "I concur. We need to find the connection, preferably before your visions become reality," she agreed, alluding to the idea that they may indeed fall back in time, but even so, they needed to give the Jedi answers before that happened.

Unlike Thal-ion, who had a severely grim look on his face, Alethea appeared very calm and collected. She had already accepted the situation. To her, it was a logical conclusion based on the evidence available. It was inevitable that they face danger. That future was inevitable. In her mind, it was also inevitable that they face the challenges he had seen. She had accepted this and, oddly, she felt at peace with it. She felt as though they would be okay.

She stood from her seat, her now empty cup in hand and crossed to where her companion sat. She placed a gentle hand on his shoulder and gave him a small, but reassuring smile. "Remember what you told me before. We will be fine, as long as we stick together," she assured him before she left for a moment to refill her cup before returning and taking a seat once more.

View Likes PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:02 pm 

3rd Year (1)

Thal-ion confessed she was right about them sticking together. So long as they did so...no matter what happened...or where they ended up...or even when...they would be fine. He smiled up at her grateful for the comfort she offered him.

"True," he admitted quietly, and then looked down after feeling his face flush once more from staring too long into her eyes. It was only then he realized his own cup was empty. He placed a hand over her own, and it lingered there...soft...tender, and yet filled with strength. He didn't even realize he was massaging the back of her wrist ever so slowly. Master Skywalker had sent them on this assignment together, and someplace in the back of Thal-ion's mind was gratefulness that Skywalker had paired him with Alethea. Were he to try and explore this moment; he would have been lost...for no such moment had ever occurred before meeting his partner. He had no frame of reference for it...save perhaps those rare times he saw Lady Skywalker with her husband, or Kam with Master Tionne.

He stood up, and gave her a smile of reassurance and thanks. When he started speaking again; his voice was more his own...no longer filled with grimness, but curiosity. His hand still covered her own a moment longer before he removed it slowly, and faced her fully.

"I wonder why this event," he began with his eyes looking quite thoughtful...as if he were exploring that which was to come, and yet bent on some other mystery within the recesses of his subconscious. "I mean, there are plenty of events in history to which someone might want to explore by opening a temporal portal...assuming that is what this storm is somehow, but why the Blockade of Naboo? Why this particular event? And, for that matter, who would do such a thing? So far as I know, the Alliance does not have the ability to make such gateways. To be honest, I have never even heard of anyone exploring such an option. I find myself quite curious as to this focus. There is a purpose to it, and I doubt it is for studying history." Thal-ion Serr fell silent as he started pacing slightly while stroking his smooth chin with his right hand. "To open such a thing....the implications...the sheer possibilities of what someone could do if it were to be controlled. It is almost too much to fathom. I mean, think about it. What if someone wanted a different outcome at say the Battle of Endor between the Rebel Alliance and the Empire? What if someone went back in time with an entire extra squadron of star destroyers to further ambush the Rebels? There might not have been a New Republic later on...the Empire might have won, and there might not now be a New Jedi Order. Could that really be the purpose of the station and the storm...to alter time?"

Epitaph of Simonides

View Likes PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:14 pm 

Alethea felt her cheeks grow slightly warm when his face suddenly flushed and he looked down, tearing his eyes away from hers. She wondered why. Had her mind unconsciously searched his? Had she made him uncomfortable somehow? Or was it something else entirely? She had no real precedent to base any conclusion on.

She took a slow, deep, but hopefully inconspicuous breath as he placed his hand on hers, allowing it to linger there for some time. His touch was surprisingly soft and tender, yet it still contained the strength she knew he had. It was strange that such a simple touch could convey so much. She wasn't quite sure why the way his fingers slowly massaged her wrist made her heart race so much. She found herself looking away, at anything else, to hide the hint of pink she knew must be coloring her cheeks. It was a strange sensation, somehow embarrassing, but not altogether unpleasant. In fact, it was rather pleasant and comforting, although she couldn't really say why.

She looked back at him, her eyes following him as he rose from his seat with a reassuring smile of his own. His hand lingered a moment longer before he removed it and faced her. She allowed her own hand to drop to her side, closing it without thinking, as though to hold on to the fleeting warmth.

He wondered why this event, and to be completely honest, she had no real answer for him. Not one she could support, anyways. It was true, there were a lot of points in history that someone might want to explore, or in some cases change. Of all of those available, the Blockade of Naboo would certainly not be on the top of most people's list. Likewise, she had no true answer to who would do something like this. She thought that as they investigated, whether here or in the past, they would get a glimpse of what kind of person it was who was doing all of this, but for the moment, they had no evidence to go on.

He continued to speak, asking questions she continued to have no answers to. Yet, when he fell silent, she spoke, even not truly knowing the answers. "Unfortunately, it is a very real possibility that altering time is, in fact, it's primary purpose. As much as I'd like to believe otherwise," she sighed lightly as she spoke. "I don't know why this event. To be perfectly honest, I don't know enough about the events surrounding it to form an educated guess. If I had to hazard a guess... I'd guess that, perhaps, this even was more significant to those that follow than history remembers. Whether the effects are on individuals who later influenced the outcome, or it played a part in the beginnings of the war itself. One way or another, there is likely a reason, and I'm sure we will figure it out," she explained her own thoughts on the matter, pausing for a moment. "Of course, there is always the possibility that those responsible can't control where in time someone is sent, and it's simply a random destination, but I'd rather err on the side of caution."

"As for who, I don't know who would do something like this, or who would even have the capability to, but I doubt it's someone with good intentions. I doubt they would go through this trouble for some leisurely study of the past. They have a purpose, and I suspect that in finding that purpose, we will gain more insight into who they are," she continued, her own eyes contemplative as she searched for answers she knew she wouldn't find.

"You're right, though. If someone could control this... The possibilities are endless. The future depends on the past. If they changed key points in history, then the future as we know it would cease to exist," she spoke this in a somewhat detached tone, as though it were simply a fact. In reality, she was doing her best not to let the possibilities worry her.

She shook her head, as if to shake away the thoughts. "At any rate, whoever it is and whatever their goal is, we have to figure it out, and soon," she said this was a little more determination in her eyes, despite the fairly calm way in which it was spoken.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next