All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:56 am 

Medals: 1
Completed RP (1)
Blog: View Blog (0)

As she grew, Katherine reminded Ewan more and more of Victoria. He smiled to himself as he thought about his recent conversation with his paramour. Ewan loved the fact that Victoria would agree to share his bed on the very evening of her son’s wedding, even with house full of guests around them. It gave him such a thrill that she would take chances to be with him, just as he had to be with her. He mused that she would be a fine wife someday – as soon as her first husband was out of the way.

Ewan began to pay attention when Katherine uttered the words ‘private matter’. That caused him to drop his smile and focus intently on the young girl for the first time. Her voice was low and serious, the intensity of which led to the sensation of ice forming around his heart. Was this a threat? Did the girl know that he was his mother’s lover? Since Katherine and he did not know one another except in passing, Ewan was sure she wasn’t reaching out to him for help on some other issue. No, she was here to threaten or extort him, he suspected. Ewan squinted and took on a very serious look as he nodded in agreement.

“There,” he said, pointing to the balcony above them. No one was up there at the moment. “Meet me there in five minutes,” he said in a tone that suggested it was an order rather than a request. Obviously Ewan could not be seen leaving the chamber with the unmarried daughter of the hostess, so they would have to meet serendipitously. Without so much as nod or a word ‘goodbye’ Ewan stepped away and resumed his mingling as if the conversation had never taken place.

Fifteen minutes later Ewan climbed the stairs to the balcony. He intentionally was late in hopes that it would cause the young girl to stew in her own juices for a while. Was this child about to threaten the brother of the King? Was she going to expose him as her mother’s lover and the father of her half-brother and sister? Would she be so bold as to destroy the reputation of her entire family? No, Ewan didn’t think so. If she were to, however, Ewan would put her in her place but good.

As he rounded the corner Ewan located Katherine hiding in the quiet shadows at the back of the balcony, and he chuckled to himself as he approached. Did she really see herself as a master of shadows? As an intricate webweaver and player in court politics? Her? This virgin whelp? Did she really think she could outplay both her mother and he, just because she kept a gardener as a secret beau? Ewan couldn’t help but smile condescendingly as he approached.

“My dear,” Ewan began, taking charge of the conversation. He spoke in the powerful, confident tone often used by members of the Royalty to place petulant subjects in their place. “I hope that your ‘private matter’ is not very distressing to you. I would hate to see you, well, suffer in any way.”

While his tone expressed compassion and sympathy, his words could just as easily have been interpreted as a threat. And it was as a threat that they were meant.

“Now, if you are about to say that you have feelings for me, well I could understand that,” he said, giving her an opportunity to back away from the conversation he thought was coming. “While I am sympathetic to courtly love, I am simply too old for you, my dear. I hope you understand,” he added, mocking her with a knowing smile as he looked her up and down. She would make a fine woman once she was a bit older, he thought to himself. That is, if she were able to survive that long.

“Is that it, then? Should we get back to the party?” he asked in a very serious tone, hinting that he had already had enough of this one-sided conversation.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:25 am 

Medals: 6
Dedicated Partner (1) Most Patient (1)
1st Year (1) Supporter (1)

As Katherine matured into a young woman, she was looking more and more like her mother and gaining some of her traits. However, she wasn't mature enough, yet, to realize she couldn't win going against her. The young woman was in love and saw an opportunity to get what her older brother couldn't. A chance to be with the person her heart chose, not marry a partner of her mother's choosing.

Katherine watched the change in Ewan's face and knew that he knew what she wanted to talk about. Any lingering doubt she had that he was her mother's secret lover and it had been affair going on since before Nicholas' birth, disappeared. A man with nothing to hide, would not have a change in his demeanor like that. It made her angry. Henry was a good man and he deserved better then this. Once she and Simon were safe, far away from both the Duchess and the Prince and able to live out their lives together, she'd expose her mother for what she truly was, a whore and a controlling ****ing. Once Katherine could have what she wanted, she'd make sure younger siblings wouldn't have Victoria controlling the rest of their lives. The younger ones would be happy and her father would be too, once Victoria was destroyed.

"I will be there."

Katherine replied quietly, nodding her head at the balcony. The wait made her even more determined to do what needed to be done. She wouldn't be like Alexander. Be married to someone, that at most she could be 'fond of'. No, she'd be with Simon. She loved him and that is the man she wanted to spend the rest of her life with. Simon was the one she wanted to marry and have children with. The threats of the affair and the aftermath it would have on Victoria would guarantee that she'd have the future she wanted. After all, Ewan wouldn't suffer too much from the fall out, unless he wanted to marry Victoria. Then that would severely be looked down on. Wouldn't help his own bid for his brother's crown if he wanted to marry a harlot who cheated on her husband for over a decade. Her father would recover, he'd be the victim in it all, and while her siblings wouldn't be the first or even last pick of a noble family as an in-law, they'd be free of Victoria's wrath. All four of her siblings would thank her in the end.

What Katherine didn't know was that Ewan knew about her and Simon. She had no idea he had been spying on her. She naively thought, she was holding that card to her chest and no one else knew about her love for the gardener. Katherine let him talk and narrowed her eyes at the arrogant prince. Too bad a scandal like this didn't affect men the way it did women. She would have loved to see Ewan knocked off his high horse. Although making her mother suffer would surely bring him a little bit of pain, though.

"No, I am not ready to go back and you think too highly of yourself."

Katherine replied, keeping her voice low. No, she definitely did not have crush on him, nor would she ever. He wasn't the type of man she'd ever be attracted too, even if he wasn't sleeping with her mother. She added with a very knowing look.

"I know you enjoy the company of older women, especially one in particular. I know exactly what type of man you are and who comforted you the night you buried your young wife. That woman that means something to both us of."

Aeronwen hadn't been cold in her grave before the prince had sought out Victoria. For Ewan, Victoria might mean love, but she didn't mean that to Katherine. Victoria was her mother by blood but she wasn't a mother in her heart. Katherine was tired of being afraid of her, being controlled by her. She needed to be destroyed and a public scandal would do it. It would destroy Victoria and all her dreams of a throne. It would make sure Katherine and her younger siblings would have the lives they wanted, not lives picked out for them. Henry could someday find someone worthy of him. It was all for the greater good, she told herself. By getting what she wanted, everyone she did care about in her family would benefit as well in the end. Lives would better for them with Victoria gone.

"It would cause quite a scandal and ruin that woman if it became public knowledge. Do you not think so, your highness?"

ImageImage

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:29 pm 

Completed RP (1)

Ewan’s eyes bulged in surprise before he leaned back and let out a loud belly laugh. Perhaps it was good that there was no one around to hear him as the sound from the ballroom below drowned out their conversation.

“You’re… you’re really going through with this, aren’t you?” he asked, wiping away a tear. “By God that is amusing. You? What are you, sixteen? How much intrigue have you dealt with in your delicate, pampered existence my dear? Do you know a few secrets? Maybe pulled a few strings? Do you really think that makes you qualified to blackmail and extort the brother…” he voice turned dark and sinister as he finished his thought, “… of the King?” Ewan leaned in to within an inch of the young girl’s face with a terrifying expression of malice. “Do you have any idea who you are dealing with? Do you know how many webs I walk through? How many favors I am owed? How many people I have destroyed? I think perhaps not,” he finished ominously before stepping back and composing himself, straightening his outer jacket.

“Now, seeing as you are a novice at this and I’m in a generous mood, let’s discuss your first mistake and go from there. One, you led with your information. Never do that, child; it projects amateurism and weakness. Always lead with what you want. That way you give your target the opportunity to cave in before they even know what you have. I still don’t know what the hell it is you want from me. If I had a secret worth killing for, though, I might have done so before you could even make your demands. That is a mistake you sometimes make only once.”

Ewan continued the impromptu lesson without giving her an opportunity to interject or explain herself further.

“Two, the information you have must be more harmful to your mark than yourself. If I am revealed as your mother’s lover, how does that hurt me? If anything the peerage will consider me a masterful seducer. Yes, the priests will lecture me about sin and all that – but they do anyway, don’t they?” He allowed that idea to sink in before continuing.

“Now you – on the other hand – have everything to lose by telling your secret. Not only would releasing that information humiliate your father and demonize your mother, it would turn your half-brothers and sisters into bastards,” he explained, casually admitting to being the father of her younger siblings. “They will never find proper wives or husbands; your family would be devastated and would never recover. Your parents would never speak to each other again in kindness; family life at home would disintegrate. Your life, and the lives of your siblings would become a living hell – and it would all be your fault.”

He raised a hand to stop her front interjecting. “No – I am not done,” he explained firmly. “Your third mistake is underestimating your mother. Victoria is not in love with your father. She is not, frankly, in love with me either – although I do make her quite happy between the sheets. No, your mother is in love with only one thing – and that thing is power. She will destroy anything and anyone who stands in the way of her gaining power. Don’t hesitate for a moment to think she wouldn’t throw you off the battlements if it meant keeping her secrets. You mean very little to her, my dear; in the grand scheme of things. She is not like most mothers. She would kill you with her bare hands if necessary and sleep soundly afterwards.”

“One more,” he added for good measure, driving home the end of his lecture. “Your fourth mistake is perhaps your most dramatic. Minors should never, ever plot against their parents. Why? Because your parents can commit you to the dungeons without reason. The gaolers rather enjoy little virgins who fall into their hands. What would any potential husband think about a bride who had spent time in their care? After experiencing their… gentleness for a week you would be begging for the oubliette, I think.”

“So, tell me know how you feel about your little plan. Are you going to make your demands? Or should I tell your mother all about our little conversation the next time I **** her?” he said, dropping his voice back to a menacing tone as he unloaded his vulgarity. He had little patience for this rank amateur who dared accost him with this triviality.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:23 pm 

The brief moment of joy that Katherine had seeing Ewan's surprise, died when he laughed. She was out of her element. She thought she knew what she was doing but she was wrong. She was on the verge of becoming a woman, but, in some ways, she was still a child. She had no idea how long Ewan had been playing this type of game and that she truly was just a novice at it. It became very clear to her rather quickly.

"Well, I-"

Katherine tried to speak but he cut her off. As she listened to him speak, her facial expressions were a mixture of anger and fear. She hadn't thought it all out, that much was clear. All she had thought of was that she could against the prince and her mother and get the life she had wanted. She swallowed hard as she realized why her mother enjoyed Ewan. He was like her, he just hid it well. She could see how cruel he was behind the mask.

Katherine tried to speak up once again, but Ewan decided to lecture her. She pressed her lips together as she realized how stupid her plan was. She just wanted to be Simon and she didn't realize how bad things would be for her father and siblings. She knew that no one of proper nobility would want any part of them if the truth came out, but she didn't want to destroy any of them either. She just wanted everyone to be happy and free of Victoria.

"I know she does not love us. She is incapable of love."

Katherine butted in. She had no illusions of her mother's feelings for her family. The only maternal love she had ever felt was from Eugenia. She didn't think Victoria loved Ewan either. Love wasn't something Victoria was capable of. Although it hadn't crossed her mind that her mother would actually harm her. Would she? Katherine didn't want to think so but...What if he was right? Katherine bit her lip as Ewan named an option that had never crossed her mind when she thought of taking her mother down. She thought back to the night Victoria had crushed Alexander's heart. She had used words to destroy Allena but...The look on Victoria's face...Katherine shook her head to Ewan. Anger was on her face but also defeat.

"I was mistaken. I saw nothing."

Katherine knew he wouldn't believe her. She'd need to find Simon and run away. Tonight. Ewan would tell Victoria, Katherine didn't doubt that. She and Simon would need to leave right away. The only thing that gave her hope that would work was that she had not told the prince why she was making threats. She prayed that tonight she would be able to slip safely away in the darkness with her true love.

------------------

Victoria excused herself from the party to find a sleeping tonic to slip into Henry's drinks. As the night was going on, Henry was getting more and more wine. She planned to drug his wine and make sure he didn't wake up until the next morning with a slight headache. As she weaved her way through the crowd to get to the gallery, she looked up and saw Ewan and Katherine on the balcony. Her eyes narrowed and wondered what was being said. Whatever it was, Katherine didn't appear to like it. Victoria was tempted to go up there now, but she trusted that Ewan would tell her soon enough. Then she'd have to figure out how to deal with her daughter.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:58 pm 

Completed RP (1)

“That’s good,” Ewan replied calmly, returning to the role of polite gentleman. “Now I believe that you have learned some things this evening, and I am glad of it.” He allowed the frightened young woman to take a few steps away before he interrupted her to offer some parting wisdom.

“Before you go let me pass some things along,” he said with a pleasant smile. “You are a clever, brave and attractive young woman. You have more of your mother in you than you may realize. If you use these things to your advantage you would certainly become an excellent schemer. I suspect that you would be able to achieve anything you wish in life through intrigue – with the proper mentoring.”

He allowed that to sink in before continuing.

“If you find your way to the capitol, either as a lady-in-waiting or for marriage, reach out to me. I believe I could point you in the right direction. We could help one another, I think, as co-conspirators. Why you ask? Simply put - you would be more valuable to me as an ally than an enemy.”

The offer may have seemed bizarre but Prince Ewan was nonetheless speaking genuinely.

“To prove that we can be of assistance to one another, I will not tell your mother a single word of our conversation. I will give her no reason to harm even a hair on your head, since that is a favor that you might someday repay when I most need it. Good night, Lady Katherine. Sleep well,” he added cynically – knowing that she might not ever truly sleep soundly again. The dark vail of court intrigues had settled upon her young life like a shroud, Ewan suspected; causing it to never to be the same. He waited several minutes after she left before heading downstairs to rejoin the party himself, noting that she fled the hall rather abruptly.

It took only moments before he bumped into Victoria and her fierce look of concern.

“You didn’t hear it from me, but Katherine has a beau,” he explained to his love. “Her boutonniere is a fine rose; I suspect he must be a gardener. She left the party without permission, I'd guess she may be going to see him now. You should act fast,” he added before sipping from the cup of wine he had recently acquired. “And be back in time. Don’t be late...” he added with a knowing smile before disappearing into the crowd, referring to their planned tryst later that evening.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:47 pm 

Katherine was out of her element, she realized that quickly. In some ways, she was becoming like her mother. However, she wasn't ready to best her mother or her lover in the games of blackmail and deception.

"Yes, I did."

Katherine replied quietly. She learned how cruel the prince could be when he let his mask slip. She was pretty sure she didn't want any mentoring from Ewan. She also didn't want to become like her mother. She wanted to be a better woman then her. She wanted to marry for love and be a good mother. Be a mother like Eugenia was. The sudden switch in Ewan was shocking. He went from threatening her to wanting to make her an ally someday.

"I....Good night."

Katherine replied, not sure if she should believe anything Ewan just said to her. Maybe he was being genuine and wouldn't tell Victoria.. But what if he did? She shook her head, she needed to get out of her, right away. She rushed out of the reception hall. She had to get word to Simon that they had to leave. Her parents would disown, they'd be dirt poor, but they'd be happy and safe. Their love would make it a good life. She almost ran into Eugenia, who had just settled Rebecca and David to bed and heading back to the hall for Nicholas and Adam. As the night was wearing on, it was time for the younger Montgomery children to go to bed.

"Katherine? Are you all right?"

Eugenia asked in concern. Katherine shook her head.

"I...Ummm..."

Katherine adored Eugenia, she always felt she could trust her but...She didn't want to get the family nanny in trouble with Victoria. As badly as she wanted to confess her failed attempt at blackmail, the young woman held back. She didn't want get Eugenia in trouble. The less she knew, the better. It would protect her from Victoria's wrath.

"Could you give someone a message for me?"

Eugenia nodded her head.

"I can, after I make sure Adam and Nicholas are in bed."

Katherine gave Eugenia a tense smile.

"That is fine, it will give me time to write it out."

Katherine replied and Eugenia reached out and touched her forearm.

"Katherine? Are you sure you are okay? I-"

"I am fine, Eugenia. It is just important and cannot wait another night."

Eugenia didn't truly believe her but she knew the young woman well enough to know that Katherine wasn't going to tell her. Eugenia nodded her head.

"All right. I will come to your room once I make sure your brothers are in bed."

Katherine agreed that was a good idea and rushed to her bedroom. She realized she had a lot to do. First, though, she needed to talk to Simon. Tell him what was going on. How they needed to leave and make plans to run. She gave Eugenia a note that asked him to meet her tonight in the garden maze, in their spot. Eugenia didn't say anything, but she knew which servant was getting the note from Katherine. She had a bad feeling this would not work out well.

------------------------

Victoria's eyes narrowed in anger when Ewan passed on the information about her daughter. She had had her suspicions as of late, but she had had no proof before. Just that Katherine seemed distracted and lost in her thoughts. She'd also disappear to the gardens from time to time but she had been very careful. When he brought up the rose, Victoria replied.

"It must be Simon. He tends to my roses."

And he was young and foolish enough to think it was acceptable to take one for his crush or that he could be with a girl of noble blood. Silly Katherine, you'd think she would have learned from her brother's mistake.

"Thank you for the information. I will deal with it right away."

Victoria had to drug Henry's wine and then deal with her daughter and her gardener. Dear Lord...a gardener. That was so beneath them, she'd be damned if her grandchildren had a servant for a father. Henry was an easy task. She quickly got the tonic and it didn't take much encouragement to get him to drink more wine then he needed to. Especially once the children were heading to bed. Victoria told a guard to follow Katherine. It was late, there were many guests, and she claimed to be concerned for her child's safety.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:49 am 

Completed RP (1)

As Victoria departed Ewan realized that she may need his help in order to remain blameless for what was most certainly going to happen next. In her rage there was a good chance Victoria might do something that both of them would regret. Shaking his head in resignation Ewan pulled aside one of his servants, Alec, and spoke to him in a hushed tone.

“I need you to do me a favor. Leave the castle and go into town. There is a pub called the Green Dragon in the square. The owner’s name is Barrett – tell him his old friend from the Capitol needs a favor. Don’t be any more specific than that.” As he spoke Ewan he took out his coin purse and untied the string. After quickly taking count of its contents he handed the purse to Alec with a few more cryptic words of explanation. “Give him this and tell him to be outside the main gate when the hour strikes eleven,” he said in a low voice. “Now go – and tell no one of this task.”

As Alec hurried away Ewan took another long pull of his wine. The prince shook his head as he thought about what another one of Victoria’s children would need to endure at the hands of their mother.

“Another sacrifice at the altar of power,” he said absent-mindedly to no one in particular. He then returned to the party by chatting up the couple to his right as if nothing was going on.

Simon, as the apprentice gardener, did not have a cot in the chamber over the south gate as did the other, more senior caretakers. Instead he slept in a makeshift hammock inside the gardening shed near the frog pond and gardens. The shed was also fairly close to the hedge maze where Katherine and he occasionally met for a stolen kiss. Still thinking about her, Simon was wide awake in his hammock when Eugenia quietly knocked on his door.

Within minutes, note in hand, Simon made his way to the spot where the two of them had first kissed. His heart racing, his clothes disheveled and hair somewhat out of place, he sat on the stone bench and looked up at the stars with the boundless optimism of a teenager in love.

He crossed his arms against the cool night breeze and thanked God for his amazing luck. Eventually Katherine’s mother would see how in love they were and how wonderful of a person he was. Given time and a chance to prove himself, Victoria might very well come around and accept him begrudgingly as a son-in-law. Or so he tried to convince himself.

The tavern was a raucous place even at that late hour. Alec was able to find the barkeep right away and passed along his message and the purse, still not exactly sure what he was purchasing. Barrett looked him up and down for a moment, studying the coat of arms of Prince Ewan which was emblazoned on Alec's tunic. The barkeep knew exactly what was being asked and who was doing the asking. He sighed and nodded his head.

“Eleven it is,” he said simply. “Now go, return to your master.”

Once Alec had departed the establishment Barrett took a casual walk to the darkest corner of his tavern, where the darkest variety of his customers could be found.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:00 pm 

Victoria wanted to shut the party down immediately now that she knew of her daughter's little romance. She couldn't, though. It wasn't socially acceptable and it would tip Katherine off. Instead, Victoria acted as if nothing was wrong. Although she did summon Caden to her. He was one the manor's guards. He had worked for them for years and she was sure she could trust him with this task.

"Caden, please keep an eye on Katherine."

"Of course, Duchess. But is something wrong with her?"

Normally Victoria didn't ask him to just keep an eye on one of the children. Victoria sighed and did a good job of pretending to be concerned.

"Well, I heard she has left the party and..."

Victoria lowered her voice.

"The spirits are flowing freely around here and...I am probably just being overprotective, but she is maturing rather quickly into lovely young woman. I just want to make sure she stays safe tonight."

Being overprotective almost seemed out of character for Victoria, but she was right. Katherine was maturing into womanhood and there were lots of people here tonight to celebrate Alexander's wedding. Since the younger children had all be sent to bed, the alcohol was spreading far more freely. Some of the guests might also have some unspoken tastes for the younger women. Caden nodded his head to her. He had a teenage daughter of his own and he could understand wanting to keep a young woman safe. Although his love for his own child, was far greater then the love Victoria would ever feel for any of hers.

"Of course, my lady. I will make sure she is safe."

"Thank you."

"You are welcome-"

Caden replied and was about to leave, when Victoria grabbed his arm.

"Caden, do not let her know you were keeping tabs on her. She would be pretty upset if she knew, thinking I did not trust her to take care of herself. Just let me know if she ends up somewhere that might not keep her safe tonight."

"I understand. She will never know I was there."

Caden replied with a smile and Victoria thanked him again. If she knew Katherine, then Victoria had a feeling that her daughter would be meeting with Simon. Planning to run away, it wasn't going to happen. She'd be damned if some gardener was going to marry into her family or steal her child from her.

----------------------------------

Eugenia kept her word, she took the note to Simon. As curious as she was about it, she didn't read it. She did hope for Simon's sake, it was a breakup letter. He would be safe from Victoria's wrath then but...Eugenia had a bad feeling it wasn't that. She just prayed Katherine knew what she was doing.

Katherine had no idea that Caden was sent to follow her. She was in a rush, she needed to find Simon. Convince him that they should leave tonight. The party was still in full swing but later tonight, it would be over. Most people would be passed out drunk. It would be a perfect time to leave. Even the guards would be exhausted from the long day. It was a cool night breeze but Katherine was sweating. She had ran as fast as she could without hopefully being seen to the garden maze. She smiled seeing Simon. She didn't care how disheveled he looked.

"Oh, good, you came."

Katherine said with a smile to him. Walking over to Simon to embrace him.

--------------------------

It hadn't taken Caden long to find Katherine. She had tried to be quiet, but her rushing also gave her away. It hadn't taken long from leaving the ball room to see the young woman rushing towards the garden. He quietly followed behind into the maze. He didn't wait to see Katherine embrace her secret love. He saw the young man sitting on the bench and slipped back into the shadows. Caden recognized the young man, Simon, an apprentice gardener at the manor. The Duchess would be angry, Caden thought as he quietly headed back to the party. Unlike the young woman, he had more patience and didn't rush or give himself away. He found Victoria and told her quietly.

"You were right to be concerned, my lady."

He leaned down and whispered into her ear.

"You daughter is with Simon in the garden maze."

"Thank you, Caden. I will take it from here."

Victoria said, patting his arm. Caden nodded his head. She looked for Ewan in the crowd. When they eyes connected, she motioned with her head that she was leaving the party. She had to confront the little lovebirds and put them both in their places.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:49 pm 

Completed RP (1)

Simon stood and moved quickly towards Katherine as soon as she came within sight, meeting her with eager eyes and open arms. He buried his head in her shoulder as he wrapped her up in a warm embrace, holding her body tightly against his. He exhaled slowly as they held one another as if he had been holding his breath for an hour. To him it felt like that was the case, and with her nearby he was able to breathe once again.

“God knows how I love you, Katherine,” he whispered in her ear before sliding his cheek gently across hers so that their lips met. He kissed her with the intensity of someone who needed her kiss more than he needed to draw breath itself. His hands found their way to her hair so that his thumbs could gently rub against her cheekbones as they embraced. The young man was in heaven and would have given anything to stay there with her for the rest of his days.

When she finally needed to take a breath Simon relaxed his hold and offered her a seat on the bench. He then sat down right beside her and wrapped one arm around her waist as they spoke. His smile never wavered for a moment as they whispered to each other in the near-darkness.

“You are so beautiful, Katherine,” he added with an enraptured gleam in his eye. “You are like an angel from heaven sent to grace my lowly existence. Everything in my life is better with you in my thoughts. My life was so hard before we met but now… now everything seems so… easy. And simple.”

He realized he should explain what he was thinking to avoid her getting the wrong idea. He didn’t think she was simple!

“And by simple I mean I know now what I want. I want to be with you – no matter what. No matter the difficulty. No matter where we must go,” he added for good measure.

As he spoke the hand on her waist began to move. Gently, but with purpose, his fingers brushed against her gown in a circular motion, slowly inching their way up her belly. As he did so, he leaned in to kiss her once again. Although he hoped against hope she wouldn’t object, he certainly would stop any of his attentions the moment she requested it. If allowed, this time he kissed her more deeply and more intimately than ever before – in the French fashion.

Around that time Prince Ewan stepped out of the party for some air. On the way out of the great hall he stopped by the Herald’s station and borrowed a scrap of parchment, a quill and some ink. Once he located a quiet spot Ewan wrote a brief note for the henchman he had just sent his man to hire. The parchment mentioned how the young gardener, Simon, had met his end in an unfortunate drowning in the pond – as if the event had already taken place. Ewan figured that, if discovered after the fact, a note written in this way would resemble a diary entry rather than instructions for an assassin. Later that evening he would have another squire deliver the note with strict instructions not to read it, and it return the note to Ewan once read. Now, the Prince thought to himself, all he had to do was wait until eleven o’clock...

Last edited by TinMan on Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:46 pm 

Katherine knew they should just get to the business at hand. It would seem almost silly to stand around and talk, but when she was with Simon, sometimes her common sense was lost. She was never with him long enough and always welcomed his embrace. She eagerly returned his kiss and allowed him to let her blond hair to fall down pass her shoulders.

"And I love you, Simon."

Katherine replied with a smile, when they sat down, she took a hold of his hand.

"That is why I want us to leave, tonight. After my parents and their guests are passed out in their beds from celebrating Alexander's wedding. I do not want to wait anymore. I know what I want, and it is you."

Katherine looked down a moment as she thought of what her future would mean if they ran off. Leaving her family, marrying a man her mother would never approve of...She would be blacklisted forever. Never welcomed back into the noble society. She'd probably never see her father or siblings again. Those things made her a little sad but she thought she could handle it. The pros of being with the one she loved, outweighed any con Victoria would throw her way.

"I know it will be hard. My mother will do what ever she can to punish us for leaving, but it does not matter. As long as we are together, then my world will be perfect."

Katherine looked up with a smile. She had lived a privileged life, being the daughter of a duke. She knew that and was old enough to know what running away and disobeying her parents, would make her no better then a street urchin. They would probably have to live as such for some time. Maybe the rest of their lives. It was okay, though. Their love could conquer all. Katherine truly believed that. She laughed when he quickly corrected himself when he said 'simple'. She touched his cheek and told him.

"I know what you meant."

Katherine did not take it as an insult. He was so handsome and sweet. Being with him truly was heaven. Katherine could not picture being with any other man. She knew they should head back, prepare to leave for good, but having a rare moment alone made it hard to leave this moment.

"Everything will be good for us."

Katherine replied, she was sure of that. She knew it would hard but they would survive it together. They would have good, happy lives. Hopefully be blessed with many children. Everything, in the long run, would be perfect. Simon was worth throwing all her old life away for.

"I love you."

She whispered as she moved closer to him, not objecting to the more intimate kiss. A few more kisses, Katherine told herself, then they would discuss their plans to leave New Haven.

-------------------------------

Caden walked Victoria to the garden maze and told her.

"I saw them both go in there, my lady. Would you like me to accompany you?"

"No, but thank you, Caden. This is a matter I must deal with."

Caden nodded his head, not objecting to the Duchess' order. She handed him a small sack of gold.

"Thank you for your services tonight."

Caden bowed his head and told Victoria she was welcome. He thanked her for the payment and went on his way. While curious about what Victoria would do to the gardener and her daughter, he did not stick around. She told him to leave and he knew he had to listen. No one liked being on Victoria's bad side. Victoria entered the garden maze. Katherine and Simon knew it far better then she did. Victoria grew it because that's what people did on estates. She didn't need a maze to meet her lover in secret. She had far more mature ways of doing that. It took her a few minutes to find her way to the center of it, hearing Katherine and Simon's hushed voices helped. When she found her way to them, she saw them in quite an intimate embrace.

"Katherine!"

She bellowed and Katherine jumped back upon hearing her mother's voice. She looked up and saw that Victoria was angry as she was the night she found out Alexander with his maid.

"Mother, I-"

"Shut up."

Victoria said and turned to Simon. How dare this lowly servant think he could touch one her children? Shove his tongue down her throat...That little bastard! She and Henry had given a job, a warm place to sleep, decent food to fill his belly. Victoria hated ungrateful people so much.

"After everything my husband and I have done for you, this is how you repay our kindness? Trying to make my daughter a whore?!"

Katherine's face turned beet red at her mother's accusation.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:52 pm 

Completed RP (1)

Simon instantly removed his hands from Katherine’s midsection as her mother made her dramatic appearance. The reality of the situation landed on him like a ton of bricks. He was completely screwed.

Once Katherine pulled away Simon slid off the stone bench and dropped to his knees. He reached his hands upwards in a pleading expression as he spoke.

“Please, your Grace, I meant no harm – I would never hurt Katherine in any way. I… I love her…” he struggled to explain. Simon knew Victoria as the aloof, demanding lady of the estate who didn’t spend much time worrying about the garden. He didn’t know exactly how unforgiving and vengeful she really was or else he would have run for his life.

“Please forgive us – we meant no harm. I would never have done anything to compromise her honor – or… or your own! We were just… ah… kissing…” he tried to explain. His expression would have been beet red with shame if he wasn’t so afraid of losing his job. He had no idea exactly what lay in store for him. While they had been doing a tad more than kissing, no articles of clothing had been removed at the time mother found them. Otherwise there would really have been hell to pay!

“I… I…,” Simon stuttered as he desperately tried to think of something to say.

Back at the party it was starting to get late. Although he wasn’t tired, Ewan let a yawn slip out as he spoke to Duke Henry before begging forgiveness.

“Please forgive my impertinence, Henry, but I am more tired from my journey than I thought. Frankly, you’re looking a bit exhausted yourself. All you alright old boy? You look like you need your bed even more than I need mine!" he said jovially with a wide smile.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:21 pm 

Katherine pressed her lips together and bowed her head when she saw the anger in her mother's eyes. She should have known what her mother's reaction would be, she had seen what had happened when she discovered Alexander's love for the maid. She naively thought it would be different. That Victoria would never find out. She and Simon would be long gone. Nothing ever escaped the Duchess of New Haven's all knowing eyes.

Victoria looked down at Simon like he was a bug she wanted to squash with her heel.

"Katherine, go home. Now."

Victoria ordered and Katherine hesitated a brief moment. She didn't want to leave Simon alone with her mother. The emphasis on the word 'now' sent her going. She swallowed hard and walked slowly away. Victoria turned back to Simon and told him.

"You are not worthy of being in my daughter's presence, let alone actually touching her. You are nothing and my daughter deserves far better then what you could possibly offer her in life. Which I am sure is not much. Love does not fill a hungry belly."

Simon was not worthy of Katherine. She should be on the arm of a prince, heir to a kingdom. Not making out in the garden maze with a damn gardener.

"You are fired and you have no home here. Leave and do not come back."

Like Allena before him, Victoria was willing to let him Simon walk away. He would just have to never come back. Her daughter would be sad but she'd move on, like Alexander had. Marry the person that Victoria wanted instead.

---------------------------

Victoria had spiked Henry's wine and he was even more tired then he normally was. He yawned on cue.

"You are quite right, your Highness. It has been such a glorious day for my boy, but I believe it is catching up to me."

He felt very tired, no doubt his wife would tell him it was too much wine. Henry wasn't sure where Victoria had run off to. Probably making sure the guest rooms were all set. She worried about such things. Always wanting to impress their noble friends. He waved a servant over.

"Victoria would kill me if I went to bed for the guests, but I will have Gretel show you where your room is."

ImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:05 pm 

Completed RP (1)

It took Simon a few moments to absorb what had just happened. He knelt there in the near darkness, blinking silently in disbelief as his world collapsed around him. Without a good reference his future prospects looked grim, and his love was leaving without even a word of protest against her mother. All was lost. He stood up slowly with an expression of disbelief.

Still struggling to make sense of his situation, Simon extended one hand towards Katherine as she retreated. When she looked back she saw Simon reaching out to her with pleading eyes. Apparently unmoved, she turned away from him for what would prove to be the final time. It was then that Simon knew that he was finished.

At one point she may have actually loved him, but still she was incapable of standing up to her mother. Simon understood then that he had been so incredibly stupid. An icy sensation washed over him as he realized that their affair was all a game for Katherine – a game that had consumed his livelihood. Checkmate.

Once Kathleen was out of sight Simon had a faint flicker of hope return to him. Maybe she would meet him later and agree to elope? Even if there was only the faintest of chances he decided he needed to take it. A confrontation with Victoria, he reasoned, was then his last best hope to prove to Katherine how he felt. Simon cleared his throat and prepared to assail the Dragon Lady with reason. When he finally spoke up Simon talked loudly enough for Katherine to hear him – shouting with the desperation of someone with nothing to lose and the surety that comes from the arrogance of youth.

“You can dismiss me, you can forbid me to see Katherine – but you cannot stop what is right, what is fair or love itself. Yes I am from a poor family but I was raised to be a man of character. I love your daughter, and I would treat her like a princess, even if we lived as paupers. Furthermore, she would rather be my husband and have nothing, than be sold off to some prince like chattel for the sake of your family reputation. You – your grace…” he added with disdain, “who values nothing except wealth and power. What about Katherine’s feelings? She is your own flesh and blood – does what she want count for naught? How can you be so cruel?!?”

As soon as he finished his speech Simon fell completely silent. Fire raged in his eyes, but fear had taken hold of his heart. Perhaps he had gone too far.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:03 pm 

Katherine did want to be with Simon. She wanted to be his wife and someday give him children. The problem was, she was afraid of her mother. Like Alexander, what she wanted didn't make her strong enough to stand up to Victoria. Those who stood up to her, were always knocked back down. At the sight of her mother's anger, Katherine quickly backed down. She looked back to see Simon holding out his hand to her. 'I am sorry,' she mouthed to him and turned away. Fighting back the tears that wanted to fall down her cheeks. She'd never see Simon again, she knew that. Victoria would make him run away, like she had forced Allena to do. She was doomed to the same life as her older brother. To marry whoever Victoria wanted. She would not get a choice. She had been so stupid to think she would.

Victoria smirked seeing that Katherine obeyed her and walked away. Seeing the hope die in Simon's eyes made her pleased. He was an ant that needed to be crushed. He was worse then Allena. While Allena might have been attempting to entrap her son with a child. Simon could ruin Katherine for any other man. No one, especially a royal family, would want Katherine to marry into their family if Simon made her his whore.

Victoria's eyes turned from ice cold to fiery anger as she listened to Simon. How dare he even speak to her like that? She raised her hand and slapped him across the face.

"You arrogant little bastard...Your love means nothing! I refuse to stand by and allow you make my daughter your whore. You will never have my blessing or my husband's to marry her. My grandchildren will not share your filthy blood. It is because I love her, that I am doing what is best for her."

Victoria truly believed in her mind that she knew what was best for her children. Yes, she did want to pick mates that would possibly up her own status in life and give her more power, but she also wanted to make sure her children had that power as well. If she did not love them, then Alexander could have had his little maid. She lowered her voice to make sure Katherine could not hear her.

"You claim I am cruel, but yet I am giving you one last chance to leave. Do it, now. Forget about Katherine and find some girl who looks like her to warm your bed. If I ever see you again, I will crush you like the little ant that you are."

ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:23 pm 

Completed RP (1)

The vicious slap turned Simon’s head all the way to the left and temporarily stunned him. He knew she’d be angry but the intensity of the blow was much more than he expected. He turned to face her with an expression that was equal parts fury and terror as he listened to her unveiled threats.

“It must be nice to threaten someone who can’t fight back? Isn’t it?” Simon said before turning and spitting on the ground. Partly he did this to show how little he cared or respected for his former master, and partly to rid his mouth of the taste of blood.

“I don’t have children, and I don’t have any idea what it means to be a great lord – but I do know what cruelty is. Yes, you are cruel, m’lady – however noble you think your reasons are won’t change that.”

He let those thoughts sink for a moment before acquiescing to her demand – at least in word.

“And yes, I will return to gather my things and be away before first light. You will never see me again, your Grace.”

Before Victoria could strike him again he jumped away and pressed himself through a gap in the hedges. He knew she wouldn’t follow him and risk damaging her precious dress, so Simon was able to get away. Once he was out of her earshot he whispered to himself the rest of his thoughts.

“But Katherine will see me again, m’lady, that you can count on…”

Knowing the maze like the back of his hand, Simon was able to make his way through the dark into the grove. From there he spent some time alone, hugging his knees as he struggled to think about what he would do next. He had family in Launceton, perhaps they would take him in for a while, he wondered. As he sat silently he watched carefully for any guard patrols who might have been sent to round him up.

Once Victoria was back at the party Ewan came by to tell her he was heading up to his room. After thanking her profusely for hosting such a wonderful event he leaned in for a whisper.

“I am prepared to deal with the boy – permanently. Simply nod if you wish it so,” he said so that no one else could hear.

Some time later Simon decided it was time. He made up his mind sneak back to the gardener’s shed for his few worldly possessions and then make his getaway. Later, he supposed, he would sneak up to the window outside Katherine’s room and try to get her attention. If successful, he planned to then plead his case for elopement. Deep down Simon knew his chances we slim – but they were chances he simply had to take.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:24 pm 

The slap was loud and full of all the pent up anger Victoria was feeling for Simon. He was an ungrateful bastard. She and Henry had given him a job, a warm place to live, and he decides to back talk to her. He was insulting her and thinking he could take her elder daughter from her. Hell would freeze over before Victoria let that happen. Victoria's blue eyes were blazing with her own fury. If she had brought a weapon with her, she would have killed Simon in the maze.

Victoria's chin was held up high in the air and she looked down her nose at Simon. A drop of blood hit her dress, which had cost far more then what she paid this butthole in a month.

"Think what you want, your opinion means nothing to me."

Victoria replied coldly, she didn't care at all what a pathetic gardener thought of her. She was doing what was best for her children, for her future grandchildren. It wasn't cruel to make sure her descendants had the best possible bloodlines. She would never let this man or anyone else taint one her children.

Simon was smart to retreat fast and she had a feeling he wouldn't go as quietly as Allena had. Victtoria had crushed Allena's hopes and dreams. She was trying to do the same to Simon, but he was more defiant. She might not see him again, but he might think he could take Katherine with him when he left. That was not going to happen. Simon was right, she wouldn't follow him through the maze. He knew it far better them him and he wasn't worth her chasing. She'd let him think he could still win, for a little bit.

---------------------

Victoria arrived back to the party, it was starting to wind down. Henry was yawning away and having servants show guests to their room. Alexander and his new bride were ready to retreat for the night as well. Victoria told her son to wait a moment, when Ewan came over. Alexander nodded his head, it would rude to interrupt the prince, even if the party had been thrown from him. Alexander waited patiently, having no idea what his little sister had been up to.

Victoria chatted with Ewan, telling him he was welcome and that they had been honored to have him at the wedding and the reception. At what he whispered, she gave a simple nod of her head. She didn't trust the boy, her gut told her he wouldn't be like Allena. He would not just go off quietly into the night. She would not lose Katherine to him. So, yes, she'd let Ewan do what needed to be done to take care of this little problem.

After that was settled, she went to her son and new daughter-in-law, wishing them and others to have a good night. She'd have to help Henry reach the bed tonight. Which made her happy, she wanted to spend tonight with Ewan, anyway.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:24 pm 

Completed RP (1)

Ewan nodded understandably in response to the request of his secret lover. Clearly she perceived the young man to be a liability – and that was enough for Ewan to decide to take the appropriate action. He smiled as said his good-byes to her.

“Thank you most kindly for such wonderful hospitality as I have never enjoyed prior to this evening. Blessings on your entire, and most wonderful family,” he added for good measure, nodding politely in Victoria’s direction.” With that he stepped away with a pleasant and confident expression on his face, his servants in tow.

A moment later he sent one of those men away on a dark errand. Very shortly the squire would deliver the details necessary for the assassin to locate Simon. It was only a matter of time now before the young man ceased to draw breath, Ewan figured. This dark reality, and the fact that Ewan was the one to personally bring it about, did nothing to dampen the prince’s mood.

Whistling in near jubilant expectation of what was to come later that evening, Ewan happened to pass by the minstrel stand. By that time the group was playing a slow, gentle instrumental ballad to wind down the evening.

“Come now, my friends,” he said to them after getting their attention with a few claps of his hand. “Let us end on a joyful note, shall we not! Do you not know Come Again?’ he asked the band leader, who in turn nodded ‘yes’ respectfully. As he replied Ewan withdrew a handful of silver coins from his inside pocket.

“Aye, m’lord, and thank you very kindly!” the lute-player said with sudden renewed energy as Ewan laid the coins on the small table set up before them.

Instantly their music shifted to a gleeful, upbeat song about love and longing, told in the flowery language of a poet desperate to be with his secret lover. It was a song that perfectly described emotions driven by unspoken, often unfulfilled desires at court. The masterful lyrics contained a host of thinly veiled references to lovemaking – all without straying from the bounds of decency. It was a brilliant piece that sang out loud what the guests in the room could not speak of openly, but many felt nonetheless for their unrequited loves. The song always made Ewan think of Victoria, and he hoped that she might hear the lyrics in that moment and perhaps think of him as well.

Come again! sweet love doth now invite

Thy graces that refrain

To do me due delight,

To see, to hear, to touch, to kiss, to die…

With thee again in sweetest sympathy

Ewan sang the words out loud in his deep baritone as he departed the chamber, disappearing up the tower stair into the darkness above. The faint echo of his voice followed Thomas as the young man exited the castle to await his master’s henchman. Despite himself, Thomas couldn’t help but continue to hum the song right up until the assassin approached later that evening.

The powerfully-built murderer-for-hire, course and unshaven, was no stranger to music of the day. He, too, began to hum the catchy tune as he read Ewan’s note. After burning the scrap of paper in a nearby brazier, the man casually walked away into the night. Once out of sight he retrieved a small lead weight from one pocket and placed it inside a pouch. After tightening the straps the man swung the sap around expertly in fingers. As he searched for his prey the sweet lyrics from the song continued to play in his mind.

Come again! that I may cease to mourn

Through thy unkind disdain;

For now left and forlorn…

Simon, by that time, was in his shed gathering his things. He sighed to himself and took one last look around at the inside of the hut that had been his home for a decade. A soft, feminine knock at the door snapped him out of his trance and his heart nearly leapt with joy. Assuming it was Katherine, the young man flung the door open with the widest of smiles. Before the smile could fade, however, the assassin’s sap had struck the back of his head with incredible force. Simon collapsed wordlessly into the man’s arms, completely helpless and unconscious.

I sit, I sigh, I weep, I faint, I die…

In deadly pain and endless misery…

Within minutes Simon’s motionless body had been silently deposited at the bottom of the small pond nearby, drowned without being able to offer even the slightest amount resistance. The assassin was careful to slip away silently even as bubbles were still rising to the surface.

An hour later the murder found himself celebrating in the pub with not one but two women on his lap, each with a tankard in hand. By then the man was quite drunk and insisted on singing the song to them in bawdy fashion.

All the day the sun that lends me shine

By frowns doth cause me pine

And feeds me with delay;

Her smiles, my springs that makes my joy to grow,

Her frowns the winter of my woe…

By late evening Ewan found himself resting in his bed with the song, too, still on his mind. Eventually, as expected, the door opened and his secret lover let herself in. Once the door was closed and bolted Ewan placed both hands behind his head and began to sing it’s final refrain, smiling from ear to ear.

All the night…

my sleeps are full of dreams,

My eyes are full of streams.

My heart takes no delight.

“It is done, my darling,” he whispered as she approached. It appeared that Ewan was not wearing any bedclothes under the blanket. “Perhaps we should celebrate?”

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:53 pm 

Victoria trusted Ewan to handle Simon. The boy had had a chance to leave, but apparently he was too stupid to take her up on it. It would be over her dead body that he'd ever be with Katherine. Since Victoria had no plans of dying any time soon, it was now time for Simon's short life to end. Katherine would be sad, but she'd get over it. Victoria would start searching for a proper husband for her daughter tomorrow. Tonight was about Alexander and his bride. Once Katherine became a mother, she would realize that Victoria was doing what was best for her.

"You are very welcome, your highness."

Victoria replied to Ewan, not letting on to the other guests that anything more was going on. She trusted that her secret lover would take care of the task at hand, and went back to tending to her guests. Some had retired for the night and Henry looked like he was ready to hit his pillow. 'Good,' she thought. She didn't want Henry waking up until the sun was high in the sky tomorrow.

The remaining guests all agreed that 'Come Again' was a perfect way to end the evening. Victoria danced with her husband and told him, as he tried but couldn't fight back his yawns.

"I think you will need to call it a night soon."

Victoria said and Henry nodded his head with a yawn.

"I believe you are right."

Victoria gave Henry a smile, happy that he'd be asleep soon and she could be with Ewan tonight. The song might be upset but it definitely was true about her and Ewan. She smiled more, of course he would choose such a song. It suited the night and many people's feelings gathered here. Very few nobles were married to the one who owned their heart.

A few songs later the guests, exhausted from the celebration, headed to their rooms. All wishing Alexander and his new wife all the best and to be blessed with many children. Victoria helped Henry off to bed. He was snoring within five minutes of his head hitting the pillow.

"Sleep well, dear husband."

Victoria said quietly and after she was sure that most of the manor was fast asleep, she headed to Ewan's guest room. She had learned from her mistake in the past. She always double checked that doors were bolted now. She smiled in the darkness at what Ewan told her.

"Wonderful, thank you, my love."

It pleased her very much that Simon was gone. Katherine would mourn his loss, Victoria knew that. Katherine would never say it out loud, just cry for the gardener in her bedroom. In the end, Katherine would realize Victoria did what she had to do. Katherine and her future children deserved a better man than Simon. Victoria walked over to the bed, her dress falling to the floor, as she joined Ewan in the bed.

"I think a celebration is definitely in order."

Today had a been a great day for celebrating. Victoria wrapped her arms around Ewan's neck, drawing him in for a kiss as she pressed her body against his.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:12 pm 

Completed RP (1)

“Indeed,” Ewan said simply as he pulled back the covers and allowed her into bed.

The raging fire had burned to embers before the two of them finally decided to rest and catch their breath. Ewan’s arms wrapped tightly around Victoria from behind as they spoke quietly in the near darkness, warm and flushed from their long-overdue, intimate rendezvous.

“The best part is that there isn’t a mark on him,” Ewan said, explaining the fate of Katherine’s unfortunate former beau. “It will appear to be a suicide. The young man simply couldn’t face his lot in life for another day. Even Katherine may buy it,” he explained. “Speaking of Katherine, you will need to marry her off next – and perhaps soon. I was thinking of Duke Elmore’s oldest – Timothy. The Duke is an old friend and would certainly back my claim – when the time is right. What do you think?”

Ewan gently rubbed one of her shoulders as they spoke, massaging her after what had to be a very long day. Sensing that she could use more of that, he gently rolled her on her stomach and began massaging her back as they spoke. His strong hands gently working out the kinks as they continued their nefarious planning.

Meanwhile, outside, one of the guards noticed something odd floating in the courtyard’s pond. He went to the gardener’s shed to retrieve a pole and noticed the place was unoccupied. Fetching a long staff, the guard managed to push Simon’s corpse to the shore.

“Ma God,” the man said to himself, shaking his head, before going to get help. While this was a tragic affair, it was not something the Lord of the house would need to be awoken for. The Duke and his wife would certainly find out before breakfast, however.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:39 pm 

If only this could last forever, Victoria thought. How she felt about Ewan was the nearest thing to love she ever felt about anyone. It did depress when she realized that she'd have to make extra sure she warmed Henry's bed the next few nights. She was the mother of six children, obviously she was very fertile. If she was to become blessed with a seventh child, she never wanted Henry to doubt that child would also be his.

Tonight, she didn't need to worry about that. She smiled, pleased to hear what happened to Katherine's little gardener.

"Wonderful!"

She exclaimed, let everyone think the fool threw himself into the lake. Katherine would be devastated, but she'd get over it. Years from now, she'd understand why Victoria did what she had.

"Once Katherine is married and expecting a child, she'll get over him."

Victoria nodded her head that Katherine would have to be married off and soon. If Victoria waited too long, she'd risk people thinking her elder daughter was an old maid. While she'd want ideally want a prince for Katherine, Katherine was getting too old to be too picky about it. Right now, there weren't any heirs to thrones she knew of that were an appropriate age for her anyway.

Victoria thought over Ewan's suggested and replied.

"I think Timothy of Elmore could work. I'd rather she not marry down."

Alexander had married down but he was heir to New Haven anyway. She'd rather her other children kept their social standings if they couldn't become kings or queens. She sighed contently as Ewan massaged her. Definitely something he was much better at then Henry was.

It was a shame that she had to leave before the sun rose. It was necessary, though. Henry, the Duke of New Haven, would expect his wife to wake up into bed with him. Even if he didn't remember how he exactly got to bed. Victoria gave Ewan a long kiss goodbye, telling him she'd talk to Henry about his suggestion for Katherine's husband. Not that she'd tell Henry why eaxctly Timothy would be a good choice or that the prince had suggested him. She didn't want anyone, especially not her husband, knowing how close of friends she and Ewan were. She'd just suggest the young man the same way she had suggested that Gwendolyn would be perfect for Alexander.

Henry complained of a headache and Victoria told him that's why he shouldn't drink so much wine right before bed. They were beginning to eat breakfast with their older children, Eugenia ate breakfast with the younger ones in a separate room, when a guard told them about the body in the lake. Henry was shocked and Victoria did the best she could pretending she was. It was a good show, although sadness could not fully reach her eyes. Luckily she could hid her face in a lady's handkerchief if need be. Katherine's face turned as a white a ghost as she listened to her parents talk to the guard.

"Are you sure?"

Henry asked and the guard nodded his head.

"Yes, it is the young boy who tends to the Duchess' roses and garden maze."

"Oh, no. I believe Simon is his name."

Victoria said sadly, shaking her head. Henry said, his sadness wasn't fake like his wife's.

"Yes, I believe it is. We will have to notify his family right away."

Henry was so focused on talking with the guard and Victoria, he didn't realize that Katherine bolted from the informal fining room and ran towards her room, with Adam frowning at her. Crying as she went. Victoria did see it, however, from the corner of her eye. She'd have to talk to Adam later, make sure he didn't see more into his sister's reaction then just being upset that someone died. Katherine threw herself onto her bed, burying her face into the pillow. It was all her fault Simon was dead. They loved each other but her love for him hadn't been strong enough to fight Victoria and now he was gone, forever.

ImageImage

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next