All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:46 pm 

Medals: 1
Completed RP (1)
Blog: View Blog (0)

The rain fell in sheets that tapped faintly on the tile roof far above the gathered audience. The damp pervaded the air inside and out of the cathedral, leading many who were not shivering in grief to instead shiver from the cold. All seemed to be affected, that is, except for one – the one who should have been affected most.

Prince Ewan’s frown was drawn up into a mask which he had worn since the death of his young wife a few days previous. His façade was so tightly bound that it seemed as if he was squinting, even in the dim half-light of the great church around him. He stared blankly at the brass and enamel-laden châsse which held her remains while wrestling with the tangle of emotions playing out within him.

The priest droned on for nearly an hour in Latin with all of the proper import due the passing of a Prince’s wife. Although Ewan could read and speak the ancient language fluently, he chose to ignore what he believed to be rote and pointless words. He only began paying attention when it was clear the end of the mass was approaching.

“Pie Jesu Domine, dona eis requiem. Amen,” he concluded, intoning Jesus to grant her eternal rest. The priest’s final words echoed distantly across the massive stone church.

As one the gathered guests crossed themselves and echoed his final word back to him before slowly rising to their feet. The silence that followed was awkward and deafening. Whimpers from Aeronwen’s mother and sisters could clearly be heard. This did not move Ewan, though, who instead closed his eyes and shook his head in a disapproving fashion. Footfalls behind him indicated it was time. He, flanked by other immediate family members, slowly formed a line that approached the reliquary box. It was time to walk the remains of his wife into the royal catacombs.

Later that day the storm turned angry and lightning fell with ever increasing frequency for more than an hour. It was not until darkness had come that all was quiet once again.

Ewan spent only a few moments at the great meal hosted in Aeronwen’s honor before excusing himself to his chambers. Once there, he sat alone by his fire sipping a brandy to ward off the inner and outer chill. At one point he could hear the cries of his newborn son Carrick in a nearby chamber, which was shortly thereafter quieted by a visit from his wet-nurse. Ewan swirled his drink and stared into the fire as he considered going to see his first, and only child – the one whose birth issued in the death of his wife. He did not, however; tied to his chair as he was with a Gordian knot of intractable emotions.

When the decanter had been emptied he had no choice but to take some form of action. Once he was standing he decided in that moment that he did not wish to be alone any more.

“I am to bed, do not disturb me until morning,” he shouted through his door to his attendants. One of them dutifully replied with the words, “Aye my Prince” without opening the chamber door. They knew better.

Instead of walking to his bed, however, Ewan stepped over to a nearby bookcase. He removed a few tomes and the wooden panel behind them which revealed an opening just large enough for him to fit through. Once on the other side he reached back through for a candle and to replace the books and panel which he had disturbed. After that he made his way down the cramped and cobweb-filled gap in the keep's outer wall. He knew that on the other end of the winding passage lay the chamber in which Victoria usually slept when visiting the capitol.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:57 pm 

Medals: 6
Dedicated Partner (1) Most Patient (1)
1st Year (1) Supporter (1)

Victoria was shivering from the cold. She hated being cold but she supposed it was good that it was raining at Aeronwen's funeral. She could fake the shivering for grief, not that she'd miss the young woman. The two women had not liked each other. Victoria was married, had been since she was seventeen, but her union to Henry wasn't anything made of fairy tales. He wasn't a horrible husband, he did not even have a mistress. He was just so boring. He was perfectly content being the Duke of New Haven. Henry was fine spending his days hunting, going wine tasting, playing sports, and spending time with their children. He had no ambitions to be anything more then a duke. Victoria wanted more, she wanted a kingdom. She deserved her own kingdom. She should be the Queen of Vertston. Could have been the queen, if her grandmother had been given the throne. But history had played out differently and Victoria became the Duchess of New Haven instead. There was more then one to get what she wanted, though, Victoria thought.

As the priest talked in Latin, she looked over at the two children who had accompanied her for the trip. Her two oldest children had came with her, Alexander and Katherine. Henry had opted to not come, there wasn't going to be much celebrating and honestly, Victoria didn't want him there. Henry was more fond of holidays where he could drink in excess and that was not appropriate at a funeral feast. Alexander was going to be sixteen in three weeks and Katherine was thirteen. They were both old enough to be expected to make appearances. Soon, she would have to find a suitable mate for Alexander, hopefully a princess. Her other children were at home with Henry and their nanny, Eugenia. Adam was ten, Nicholas was six, Rebecca was four, and David only six months old. All young enough that Victoria would not be looked down upon for not bringing them to Aeronwen's funeral. Actually, the nobles might have looked down on her more if she had brought her younger children to such a somber event.

Alexander and Katherine both looked like they were trying to not to fall asleep. They had barely knew Aeronwen and they didn't know most of the people gathered to mourn her passing. They just knew that their mother expected them to come along and pay their respects. Victoria was sure that both wished they had gotten to stay home with their father and younger siblings. Victoria saw Prince Ewan's face and thought to herself that she'd have to talk to him. She knew his marriage had not been a happy one and she knew the reason why. Still, he had to keep up appearances and act like he was upset that his wife had died bringing his son into the world. She saw him leave not too long after the meal had begun but didn't immediately follow. Instead, she kept up appearances and waited some time before telling her children to head to the guest quarters provided for the night and then retreating herself to the normal chambers she took when she visited.

Victoria could hear Ewan's footsteps as he approached the end the passage and told him as he entered her bed chamber.

"You need to work on your facial expressions. You have to pretend you are quite upset at the passing of your young bride."

ImageImage

Last edited by Sojourn on Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:28 pm 

Completed RP (1)

Prince Ewan slid a wooden panel aside and stepped out from behind the tapestry that adorned Victoria’s chamber. As her words indicated she was alone, the 26-year old, handsome younger brother of King Richard stepped into the room without hesitation. His hazel eyes wore a complex expression that mixed equal parts desperation with exhaustion; passion with world-weariness – all mixed together with a blush from the brandy. The Prince was wearing his finest cloak, a golden clasp and some cobwebs. He did his best to sweep the worst of them off as he approached his lover of eight years.

“It’s wonderful to see you, too,” he teased as he offered to take her hand in his. If she let him do so, he then brought her hand to his mouth in order to kiss her fingers. Following that – and if she was willing – he pulled her gently into their first embrace in months. He exhaled loudly as their arms enfolded one another after what seemed to him like an eternity.

“By God how I have missed you,” he said, blinking rapidly. His lover, nine years his senior, had also been his greatest mentor since their first tryst. Still, he chose to ignore her recent advice for the time being. Instead his eyes searched hers for the passion they had known in the past. “I am so glad you came…” he added, his voice fading. “I… I need to sit…”

Once seated Ewan placed both hands on his head and gripped tightly, as if his mind was no longer under his control. It look him several moments to get out what he needed to say.

“I killed her,” he mumbled, staring at the floor. After another moment he looked up at Victoria with an expression of confusion. “Not by my hand… but by making her with child. It is my fault…” he said, his voice fading again. His tone sounded stressed and confused – though oddly without a sense of remorse.

“They sent for every healer in the capitol – but no one could stop the bleeding. They wouldn’t even allow me to see her… until it was too late.” His sentences were short and choppy, far different from his usual eloquence. Clearly Ewan was struggling to make sense of his emotions.

“And yet… yet I feel nothing. Nothing at all. How can that be? I never loved the woman – but I did not wish her dead. Still I feel – nothing.” He looked directly into the eyes of the woman whom he loved in place of his late wife.

“You are the only one I can say these things to,” he added, his eyes asking her for guidance in his existential crisis.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:19 pm 

"It is always wonderful to see you, my darling."

Victoria replied to Ewan with a smile as she gave him her hand. Gone was the formal funeral clothing she had worn all day. She had no plans to leave her bed chamber tonight. The two children who had came with her for the trip were old enough to not need her. Unless one of them did something stupid, which she had taught them better than that, she would not be bothered by Alexander or Katherine until morning. She was dressed in an elegant silk nightgown, deep blue in color with golden trim. Her blonde hair was down. At thirty five years old, she was aging quite well. She had yet to find any strands of white in her hair and she had very few wrinkles.

"I missed you, too."

Victoria told him and returned his embrace. Although, she did not feel as deep of love for Ewan as he did for her. He satisfied her in ways Henry never could but Victoria was not one for deep, true, romantic love. She tolerated Henry and while she was somewhat fond of her children, she did prefer their presence over children that she had not given birth to, she was not very motherly to them. She did enjoy Ewan's company and he was exciting in ways, but he was also useful to her. He was the younger brother to King Richard, far closer to the throne then she was. If her plans for her children's mates did not work out, then maybe someday, Henry would sadly pass on before his time and after some proper time of grieving, Victoria would remarry to the handsome prince.

After eight years, Victoria knew exactly what she had to say or do to please Ewan. She told him.

"After I heard what happened, of course, I had to come. I came for you."

She personally had felt very little when she heard of Aeronwen's passing but she had come for Ewan. She had to make sure he acted the way people expected of her passing. The nobles loved to gossip and while many nobles and royalty had mistresses, one would generally assume that if the prince wasn't weeping for his wife's passing, then he was ready to marry his mistress. Obviously, Ewan couldn't marry Victoria at the present time. Plus, she did care about him and wanted to make sure he would be okay. When he said he needed to sit, she nodded her head.

"Then sit."

She said and beside Ewan, rubbing his shoulders as he struggled to talk. When he said he had killed Aeronwen, she was speechless a moment. She knew he did not like his wife but she had told him that what was best for him and the kingdom was to tolerate the young woman, like she tolerated Henry. He needed to have a child. A child that could someday inherit the throne after him if something happened to Richard and his brats. She had complemented from time to time killing Henry but she always decided against. It would not be wise, especially since she had started her relationship with Ewan. Since their affair had started, she had given birth to Nicholas, Rebecca, and David and she could not say for sure if he or Henry was truly the father of each child. She needed Henry alive to claim fatherhood, even if biologically Ewan was their father. It didn't matter that she would never know, he could never claim them. When he explained why he blamed himself, she squeezed his shoulder and said.

"It is not your fault. Not all women can survive the trauma of childbirth."

Not everyone was as strong as she was. Victoria had given birth six times in her lifetime but she knew she was lucky. She had seen and heard of many women, noble and peasant, that could not survive what she had.

"It was God's will that Aeronwen was taken."

She could tell that Ewan truly did not feel much for Aeronwen's passing. He hadn't wished her dead but he wasn't going to miss her either. She had a feeling she would feel the same for Henry when he was gone and she had been married to him now for eighteen years.

"I understand. You felt for her, how I feel for Henry. He is not a bad man but I do not love him."

Victoria took a hold of Ewan's hands.

"You can always tell me these things but do not tell anyone else. They will look down on you or suspect you had something to do with her death. You must act a little sad, even if you cannot feel much for her, think of how your son will not have a mother. Aeronwen could have been a good mother to Carrick and it is sad he will not get to know her."

Victoria didn't know how much Ewan truly cared about Carrick and added.

"If all else fails, then think how you would feel if you lost me."

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:14 pm 

Completed RP (1)

“Even the thought of losing you would be enough to drive my fevered brain to madness. I cannot even entertain the idea, my love,” he said, grateful for her support and even more so for her touch. He squeezed her hands momentarily before releasing them in order to raise his up to her face, gently touching both cheeks. He relished in the warmth of her skin as his eyes drank from the well behind her eyes deeply. Victoria was as beautiful now as she ever was. To this day Ewan considered himself the luckiest man alive to have even a small part of her affections. Love made him more than blind to her faults; his feelings for her actually helped to mold his into a matching set.

He blinked as a softer expression crossed his face which gradually grew into a smile. Before long he had leaned in to taste her lips if she would allow him. If possible, the long-awaited kiss was as passionate as they had ever shared. It had been too many months since they had been alone together and he simply couldn't restrain himself. Then he remembered it had only been a few months since her youngest child had been born.

“And here I am whining to you about my troubles,” he added as he paused, burying his face in her neck. “How are you, my darling? Have you healed well? How is David?” he asked, referring to her few-month old baby. Ewan genuinely wanted to know how she had been over the past few months, hoping against hope that she did not share in any complications as Areonwen had.

Once she had replied Ewan went on to ask about Nicholas and Rebecca, her other young children whom had been born since she and Ewan became involved. While there was no way to know for certain who the father of her three youngest were, Ewan liked to fantasize that they were his. “I should like to meet them someday,” he added almost-absentmindedly.

As she replied to his requests a look of understanding slowly crept across Ewan’s features. He blinked rapidly as if a bright light had turned on. Mentally something clicked in his mind to allow the confusion he had been feeling to vanish. Without explaining his revelation, he moved to kiss Victoria (again?), only more intensely than before.

Gasping between breaths he whispered to his lover with an unmistakable and desperate sense of passion. “Victoria, I love you so much. If we do not make love… right now... I fear I may die…"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:42 pm 

"I would not want to drive you mad, but when people ask how you feel about the passing of Aeronwen, just think it was me that passed on instead. The answer you give will please them."

Victoria told Ewan. She wanted to make sure he kept up the proper appearances when it came to the passing of his young wife. The last thing she needed was anyone prying into his life and discovering their secret. It would ruin everything she had spent so many years trying to build. She would not always just be Henry's wife, the Duchess of a boring wine country. She would be more, she deserved to be more. She didn't know how long it would take, but someday she would have her own kingdom and people would respect and fear her. She smiled at Ewan and returned his kiss. While she was not capable of returning his deep love, she could fake it well enough, she could return his passion and did so eagerly. She did genuinely love being in Ewan's arms.

When Ewan asked of David and her recovery, Victoria ran her fingers through his hair as she replied.

"I am fine. I have always been fortunate and am a fast healer."

All of Victoria's pregnancies had been fairly easy and while childbirth was painful, she was always able to recover well. She never experienced anything outside of what the midwives say was normal.

"David is well and seems happy. He does not fuss much."

At least she didn't hear him cry much at the manor. Eugenia saw to most of his needs. She would tell Victoria and Henry if she thought something was wrong. He appeared to be happy. Of course, he did smile and coo more at Eugenia then he did his own mother. She replied that Rebecca and Nicholas were doing well as well. If she was a better mother, she would have been able to tell Ewan that Rebecca loved fairy tales and Nicholas was obsessed with dogs. Victoria wasn't a very good mother, however, and knew neither of those things about them. If Ewan really wanted to know about her younger children, Eugenia, their true caretaker, would have been the best person to ask.

It also did not escape Victoria that although she was a mother of six now, her lover only asked about her youngest three. The ones born since their affair had begun. Victoria could not say for certain who was truly their father. Not that it mattered, Henry was the father of all her children as far as she was concerned. He was her husband and thus any child she bore was his. That was the way it had to be. Ewan could fantasize all he wanted in his mind, but if he spoke his desire out loud, she would gently correct him that Nicholas, Rebecca, and David all belonged to Henry.

"The children will all be here for the next holiday."

She told Ewan when he said he would like to meet them. Of course, they were young and spent most of the time with Eugenia on the trips. Victoria would not have her younger children embarrassing her in any way. She wasn't sure what caused him to have a revelation but she eagerly returned his kiss and the next with the same passion. She replied.

"And I love you. Let us not wait any longer."

--------

Meanwhile, Alexander quietly crept out of his room while his mother was very occupied and distracted. Every holiday since he could remember was spent in Greenmor Palace. He had spent a great deal of his younger days exploring it. Something that was paying off now, since he had a very important and special meeting to go to in the courtyard. He hoped she would be here. He had met her on the last holiday. She was so beautiful and kind. Since the teenager had met her, he could not get her out of his mind. He had sent her many letters since. No one knew of his secret love, he knew his mother would never approve. The girl that had captured his heart was not of nobility, she was a servant in the palace. It didn't matter to Alexander, however. He could not see himself without her in his life. He told her to meet him in the courtyard, after the palace began to sleep. Victoria could never find out, she would be so angry at him...

"Hello? Are you here?"

He called out quietly as he looked for her. He hoped she had been able to sneak away and meet him.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:04 pm 

Completed RP (1)

Her passionate response was all that the Prince needed. Now with her willing consent, Ewan allowed his emotions to take control. Their kissing became deeper and more passionate until he stood up from the table and slipped his hands under her bottom so that he could lift her off of her feet. Ewan stepped to the bed, continuing to kiss her as he carried Victoria in his embrace the entire way.

Laying her down gently, he paused his affections long enough to whisper a few words in her ear as he began the process of slowly drawing up her nightgown.

“I knew seeing you would make all the difference. I suddenly feel content – speaking to you has calmed my mind once again. I will take your advice – tomorrow I will grieve my widow as I would have you, my love.”

Next, it took two both of them to remove Ewan’s formal garments, which were of significant complexity both in layers and numbers of buttons. The delay only heightened the sense of expectation the Prince was feeling in that moment. As they worked he continued to explain his revelation.

“It struck me just now that life does not differentiate – between sinners nor saints. My wife died from my actions and I feel no shame or guilt. Instead of a curse – this is a blessing. It means that I can remove anyone else who stands in the way of our happiness… of our destiny. Anyone.”

Panting from the sheer effort of undressing from the prone position, the Prince smiled down on the love of his life with an expression of liberation – from both his clothing as well as any notion of morality and ethics that chained lesser men to their lot in life. No, their fate was greater than anything God or man could possibly have in store for him. Together with this woman that he loved, he decided, anything would be possible for him. The world was theirs for the taking – and they would do just that.

Allena hid in the shadows with her heart beating out of her chest, both in expectation and out of nervousness. Needless to say that if she were caught in the courtyard in the middle of the night it would mean a thrashing for sure. Being an orphan servant girl made her particularly venerable to the disposition of the chefs and the older women who managed the kitchens. Be that as it may, there was no way she was going to miss a meeting with Alexander.

Not only was he handsome and kind, but he was also from a wealthy family. She was young enough to believe that love might somehow trump the class structure that required Alex marry a woman of his station. At least, she chose to believe it anyway.

And there he was – lost, roaming the courtyard. In a fit of playfulness she decided to sneak up behind him and tap him on the shoulder to see how he would respond. When he spun he would find her smiling mischievously in the near darkness, her long blond hair blowing slightly in the breeze. Her eyes shone in the moonlight with a gleam that was unmistakable; Allena was in love.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:40 pm 

Victoria eagerly returned each kiss. She let Ewan carry her to the bed and told him with a smile, as she helped him undress her.

"I am glad I was able to calm your mind, my prince."

She was happy that he understood now what was expected of him. Ewan would be able to explain away his lack of grief for Aeronwen at the funeral as shock. Tomorrow would be a new day for him and Victoria was sure he would act the way people expected a man to act when his wife died in childbirth. Her nightgown didn't take long to be discarded but Victoria had to help her younger lover remove his own garments.

When Ewan told her of his revelation, she wondered if he was referring to Henry. Victoria had no love for her husband but she didn't want him dead, not yet at least. She couldn't contemplate Henry dying until she was no longer able to bear children. If Ewan got her pregnant not long after Henry's death....No, that wouldn't do. The scandal could ruin everything she was trying to accomplish. Right now wasn't the time to remind Ewan that as much as he probably hated that he had to share her with Henry, this is the way they had to live their lives for now. She never told him how Henry shared her bed at least once a week. She was Henry's wife and she had to see to his needs, she saw to them so well he claimed he needed no mistress. Not that Henry could please her the same way. That wasn't the point, if she got pregnant by Ewan, Henry would easily believe the baby was his instead. Henry could not die, at least not for a while. They had to be patient to get what they both wanted.

"No one will stand in the way of what we want."

She replied, knowing she had to say something. Afterwards, she'd just have to remind Ewan that good things came to those who wait.

-----------

Alexander was wondering if Allena was not able to make it. He hoped that she was just running late. It had felt like an eternity since he had last saw her. He knew if Victoria found out what he was doing, there would be hell to pay. She barely acknowledged Eugenia some days and she was in charge of raising her children. Victoria treated Henry's hunting dogs better then she treated servants and she didn't even like dogs. No, his mother couldn't know. Alexander knew this was dangerous. His mother was already hinting that soon he would be courting his future bride. A bride that she would chose from him. Maybe he could talk to his father, he was kinder then Victoria but then again, Henry didn't have much say at home.

Alexander knew it was dumb, this would probably end in heart ache for both him and Allena, but he didn't care. His heart was winning out over his rational mind. He jumped when Allena played her trick. He had not expected that and let out a little yell. He spun around, ready to confront whatever had scared him. When he saw it was Allena and the smile on her face, he laughed and instantly relaxed.

"That was not nice."

He told her, pretending to be upset but he wasn't. He was so happy Allena had come. She was so beautiful in the moonlight, even more beautiful then he remembered. He took a hold of her hand and raised it up to his lips.

"I have missed you."

--------

While Alexander knew the palace well enough to find the courtyard, he didn't know that his meeting place with Allena was close to Katherine's guest room. He also didn't know that his little sister could hear their meeting. Katherine was a light sleeper and had jumped when she had heard Alexander scream.

"Alexander?"

She asked out loud. She wondered if he was hurt but soon realize she was alone in the room and her brother was outside. She heard her brother talking to someone. She wondered who it was and walked to the window. She looked out the window and although it was hard to see the in the dark, she could tell her brother was meeting someone. Someone who looked like a girl from her shape.

"Oh, Alexander...Mother will be so angry at you."

She said quietly out loud. There was no way their mother would approve of this secret meeting. She was torn what to do. She didn't want to get her older brother in trouble but...If Mother found out Katherine knew and did not tell her, then she would be in trouble too. None of the Montgomery children ever wanted to be on Victoria's bad side. She bit her lip and knew what she needed to do.

"I am sorry, brother."

She said, although Alexander didn't hear her apology. She was too far away and he was too distracted by the servant girl. Katherine pulled on a robe and headed down the hall her mother's room. She knocked on the door and said as she opened the door.

"Mother, I am sorry to-"

She stopped in shock when she realized her mother was not in the room alone. The room was dark, Katherine did not know what man was sharing her mother's bed, but she knew that Victoria was not alone.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:36 am 

Completed RP (1)

The heat from the fireplace kept Victoria’s guest chamber as warm as any in the palace. Even so, the couple made love under a layer of fine linens, blanket and coverlet; all overlain with a large ornamented canopy attached to the featherbed. To Ewan, being with her in this place was nothing short of heaven on earth. The two of them were lucky if they were able to manage a few rendezvous in a year. This moment became even more special in light of the tragedy of the past week, which he slowly grew more and more oblivious to in her arms. Ewan found himself almost deliriously happy as their entwined bodies moved the mass of blankets rhythmically in the glow of the crackling fire.

Then there was the knock at the door. All movement under the blankets froze in place and Ewan held his breath. This wasn’t the first time they had been nearly caught, and he suspected Victoria would simply usher them away without un-bolting the door. Then, without a word of warning or explanation the door opened with a loud creak. Ewan closed his eyes in disbelief.

She didn’t bolt the door, the Prince thought to himself as he shook his head.

"Mother, I am sorry to-", the young female voice said. Without looking Ewan realized it had to be Katherine, Victoria’s 13-year old daughter. Ewan knew that the child was old enough to understand what was happening, especially in light of seeing two bodies under the covers and men’s clothes strewn around the chamber. He looked at Victoria in the half-light under the covers with a resigned expression and disengaged. As she spoke to her daughter Ewan rolled on his side to face the wall, hoping to hide his identity if at all possible.

This is bad.

“And I you, my lord,” Allena replied in a whisper to Alexander. “Now please, you must try to be a little quieter!” she said, bringing her mouth to his ear. While she spoke she could feel the warmth from his cheek right next to hers, and the sensation became almost dizzying for the young maiden. She blushed but then instantly put herself in check by moving away. She continued to hold his hand, however, and began to drag him behind her. “This way!” she whispered as they went.

She lead him into a small grove of trees in the garden that took up one corner of the courtyard. It was very dark there and much less likely for them to be discovered at that late hour. She brought him to a bench and sat down beside him, gathering up her worn and somewhat threadbare skirts with her free hand so that they could sit close together. Her attentive eyes shined in the moonlight as she looked at him again with a warm smile. Her heart nearly beat itself out of her chest.

“My lord, I have treasured each and every letter you have sent me,” she said, squeezing his hand with hers. “Pray tell me again how much you love me, and how you want us to be together?” she asked with a playful expression of mock pleading. Allena had never been alone with a boy before and she wasn’t exactly sure what to say to him. All she knew was that this was exactly where she wanted to be, and she hoped against hope that he was as good and decent a person as he seemed in his letters.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:27 pm 

It was rare, Victoria made a mistake. Tonight, she had, however. She had forgotten to bolt the door. She was usually very careful, especially when she expected to share her night with Ewan. Henry had not joined her for the funeral, she had expected that Ewan would want to join her tonight. She had anticipated it and had wanted him to come to her. It had been so long since they had been truly together and she missed his passion. Especially compared to what her nights were like with Henry. The same thing, every time, with a man whose body showed he was hunting less and drinking more as the years passed on. Even at Aeronwen's funeral, Victoria hoped this was how she would spend the night and yet, she had forgotten the simple task of bolting her bloody chamber door.

The joy she felt in their union was ruined when she heard her door open and heard her elder daughter's voice. Victoria cursed as she covered her naked body with the blanket. Thank God the candles had blew out, perhaps Katherine would not see the prince. Although there would be much to talk about. Katherine was not a small child, she would realize her mother was sharing her bed with a man that was not her father. Henry could not find out! The scandal...It would destroy all her dreams. She would never be able to marry any of her children off to royals or even lower ranking nobles with this over her head. Let alone ever become Ewan's Queen if Richard and his children were deposed of.

"Katherine! What do you want?!"

Victoria yelled at her daughter, who took a step back in fear. She had seen Victoria angry many times but Victoria rarely rose her voice.

"I...I...."

Katherine's face was as white as a ghost and she froze in her fear. Terrified of what Victoria would do to her. Her father and Eugenia weren't here to protect her from her mother's wrath. Victoria practically growled as she replied.

"Speak, child!"

"I...Ummm....Alexander is in the courtyard with a girl!"

Katherine said quickly, almost tripping over her own words.

"What?!"

Victoria yelled, ordering her daughter to turn her back as she got out of the bed and found her nightgown and robe on the floor. Katherine was in shock and also felt awful, Victoria was angry and now she would even be angrier at her brother. Selfishly, she realized that her mother would surely direct a great deal of her anger at Alexander and his secret girlfriend. At least, for now, she would, who knew what Victoria and her mystery man would do to her for finding out their secret.

------------

Alexander smiled at Allena and asked.

"How many times must I tell you to not call me, 'my lord'? That's what people call my father."

He knew he was the son of a duke and 'my lord' was the proper way of addressing him. Especially people of a lower class but he didn't think of classes when it came to him and Allena. He didn't see her as a servant but a beautiful young woman that he wanted to spend all the time he could with. When she whispered he had to be quieter, he nodded his head.

"Yes, of course."

He replied, loving the feel of her breath on his skin. He was so tempted to kiss her then but knew that was too forward. Allena was a lady and he wouldn't rush things with her. He would court her properly, even if it meant it had to be in secret. He held her hand tightly and followed her. He liked the place she had picked, peaceful and private. No one should bother them in this late hour. He squeezed her hand as he told her.

"My love for you is as deep as the ocean and is pure like winter snow. As long as there are stars in the sky, my love for you will never die."

He told Allena and truly meant it. He did love her. While he was Victoria's son and shared her blonde hair and blue eyes, his heart was not as twisted as hers. He was more like his father, whose facial features he shared. He was kinder and meant every word he said to Allena. He wasn't sure yet how they would be together but that was his dream.

"I cannot picture my life with out you in it, as my wife and the mother of my children."

He told Allena, pushing a strand of hair off her face. Allena looked so beautiful tonight and the urge to kiss her was getting harder and harder to resist.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:30 pm 

Completed RP (1)

Ewan sighed in the half-light of the now quiet chamber once Victoria had departed. Their perfect night had been ruined – and even more critically – her reputation may have been as well. He shook his head as his mind played out the number of potential outcomes from this disaster. The only item in their favor was that their discoverer was Victoria’s own daughter. If she leaked this information the stain of the offence would scar her as well as her mother. He reckoned that unless the child was daft there was a chance their affair may remain secret, after all. He chuckled to himself as he wondered if the child would ponder who her real father was. Of course Ewan was too young to be her father, but not her siblings. He wondered if they would find out at some point. The irony of the whole situation was that if the affair did go public, the fallout for him personally would likely be minor. He, the grieving widower, might be considered somehow a victim of an ambitious and unscrupulous noblewoman. Of course he would take responsibility, but it wouldn’t take much for people to believe what they wanted. Be that as it may, Ewan dragged himself out of bed more disappointed than words could tell.

With an incredible sense of regret weighing him down Ewan began to get dressed. It took him several long minutes to accomplish his without the help of an assistant. After doing so he poured himself a glass of wine that was on the table and sipped it, wondering if he should wait or not.

Allena melted at the genuine, heartfelt words that he offered her without hesitation. She pressed her lips together so that he wouldn’t see them tremble while blinking away the mist that was forming in her eyes. Never, ever, had the young girl been so happy. All of her life she begged and pleaded for God to deliver her a kind man who treated her well. She would have been happy to spend her life with Alexander even if he were a pauper – but he most certainly was not. She felt for the first time that all of the hardship and unfairness life had dealt her was finally turning around. Her heart sang as her eyes stared deeply into his. Even in the dim light she could see how much he loved her, and it made her feel dizzy with joy and expectation. She was so lost in her emotions that she didn’t even realize that she was guiding his face towards hers. Her eyes closed and they kissed deeply, sweetly; fully. She wrapped her arms around him and pulled him into her as the kiss grew in intensity.

When they finally broke for air she buried her face in his neck and breathed hard. She knew in that moment that she couldn’t let him get away. “Let me… make you happy…” she whispered breathlessly as her hands began to slide their way from his back to his chest where they began to unbutton his shirt.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:30 pm 

Victoria ordered Katherine out of her bedchamber as she quickly got dressed. She was so angry. Katherine had interrupted her and Ewan but even worse was that Alexander was in the courtyard with some girl. Probably some loose young woman, not worthy of his noble blood. Ewan would have to take care of himself right now, she had bigger things to worry about. She left Ewan without a word and told Katherine.

"Come, Katherine."

Her children were causing enough problems tonight. She wanted to keep an eye on Katherine to make sure she didn't realize who was in the bedchamber. Victoria would have to make sure Katherine understood that affairs were a part of noble life and to not tell Henry at all. Since he had no mistress, he would not be as understanding. Perhaps she would just explain it away as being upset about Aeronwen dying and needing to feel alive tonight. A mistake that Henry never needed to know about.

"Mother, I-"

Katherine wasn't sure what to say about what she saw. She didn't get much out before Victoria held up her hand.

"Not now, Katherine. We will talk about it after we find Alexander."

Katherine nodded her head, she could tell from the look on her mother's face to not argue with her. She quickly followed behind her mother as they headed to the courtyard.

----------------

Everything Alexander told Allena was true. He meant every word, with all his heart. He didn't care if Victoria would disown him for feeling the way he did. He believed their love could conquer all. When she encouraged him to kiss her, he did. Many times. Each time their lips met felt like heaven to him. He never wanted this moment to end. He embraced her, losing himself in the moment.

Alexander was breathing as hard as Allena when they finally let up for air. It was definitely the most intimate of the young noble man's life. When she offered to make him happy, he nodded his head.

"Okay...I will make you happy too..."

He replied, kissing her neck and reaching for the ties of her bodice as she started to unbutton his shirt. If he had been rational right now, he would have realized that the open courtyard was the worse place possible to express how he felt for Allena. But he wasn't rational, he was in love and in a fantasy world. A world where he and Allena could be together and no one could ever tear them apart. He was quickly brought back to reality when he heard his mother yell.

"Alexander! Step away from that little harlot!"

Victoria was a woman that was often prone to quick anger but she was never angrier then she had ever been in this moment seeing that little whore force herself on her son. She knew what Allena was doing. Trying to get her son to impregnate her, taint the Montgomery line with bastard children. Alexander was her firstborn, she had spent years and countless dollars making sure someday he could marry a princess and become a king. Allena would not ruin that.

"Mother?"

Alexander was shocked when he saw his mother standing before him. He instantly felt like a small child again. He had made her angry before but never this angry. She looked like she wanted to murder someone. Maybe even him.

"How did....Katherine."

He muttered seeing his sister hiding behind their mother. His eyes narrowed. Somehow Katherine had found out they were in the courtyard and told Victoria. He stood up and held out his hands.

"She is not a harlot. This is Allena and I-"

"Be quiet and button your shirt."

Victoria replied, she did not care who the this girl was. Allena looked like a servant, that was far worse then Alexander being in love with some baker's daughter. Victoria had trained her children well. Alexander instantly tightened his jaw but didn't speak. Instead, he did as he was told and buttoned up his shirt. Victoria looked at Allena like she was a piece of trash.

"Who do you think you are? Touching my son with your filthy hands."

ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:47 pm 

Completed RP (1)

Her fantasy shattered, Allena turned away from the enraged Duchess to re-tie her bodice and adjust her skirts. Even in the darkness he face burned red with embarrassment and shame. She turned to face her accuser with desperate eyes and a heart that was shattering to pieces. Tears began to flow from her eyes.

When Alexander stood up for her she turned to look at him, grateful for his support in her most desperate hour of need. However the enraged Victoria shut him down instantly and turned her wrath to Allena, referring to her as filty. Allena was alone in the world – an orphan serving girl with no one looking out for her. While she was pretty that in itself didn’t offer much hope for a bright future. For a brief, fleeting moment she thought Alex may be able to provide that for her – that perhaps God himself had sent him. In an instant she sensed that hope collapse out from under her like a house of cards. Allena began to sob.

“I’m…I’m not… I’m not like that… Your Grace,” she whimpered. “I am an honest maid…who loves your son – and he me! Please!” she shouted, raising her voice in desperation. “Please have mercy…” she asked I between sobs. “Please… give me a chance…”

Upstairs Ewan took a second sip of his wine and overheard the commotion below. He stepped to the tower room’s small window and opened the shutters. Down below he saw the drama unfolding.

“This should be fun to watch,” he added with a smirk as he took another sip.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:00 pm 

"You were forcing yourself on my son."

Victoria practically growled at Allena. Alexander wanted to defend Allena from his mother's wrath. He tried to speak up, wanting to tell her that there was no forcing. He did love Allena and anything they were doing was because they both wanted to, but he only got his mouth open when Victoria said, with her finger held up in the air.

"Not another word for you."

Her blue eyes were full of rage and Alexander knew there was nothing he could do. He felt awful, he knew his mother. She had hopes and dreams for him and his siblings. As much as she wanted to, she wouldn't kill him. Wouldn't even beat him too harshly, she had to keep up appearances. Allena, however....The young maid was nothing to the Duchess and he was powerless to protect her from his mother. Which also made him very angry at his sister at the same time. Katherine just looked down at the ground. She wouldn't dare to look Alexander in the eyes. She was afraid his rage for her was matching what Victoria's rage was right now.

Victoria laughed when Allena begged for mercy and said she loved Alexander and he loved her back.

"Alexander is almost sixteen. He does not know what love is."

She shot him an icy look to keep his mouth shut as she had instructed. Seeing her eldest was obeying, Victoria continued.

"Save your tears. I know what your game is. You want my son to father a child and ruin his life. Or..."

A thought hit and it even made more sense. After all, Allena was just a maid and already proven to be a little harlot.

"....You are already with child and were going to trick my son into thinking he is the father of your bastard."

ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:47 am 

Completed RP (1)

Even though it was midnight Ewan could faintly make out someone playing a lute in a tower room above him. Since it would be unusual for a musician to stay in the tower, he wondered if perhaps it was a nobleman practicing a performance intended for the King. Ewan had heard the melancholy before but only could remember a few of the lyrics.

Hark! You shadows that in darkness dwell,
Learn to contemn light.
Happy, happy they that in hell
Feel not the world's despite.

The song made a fitting backdrop for the human drama that was unfolding below him. While Victoria and the objects of her despite were not raising their voices Ewan could still make out their words by listening intently. Victoria had accused the young girl of being pregnant and attempting to trap her son in a marriage where he would potentially raise another man’s child. This was perhaps the worst possible thing a woman could do to a man in that day, and Ewan knew it.

“Well played, my dear,” he said to himself as he chuckled darkly to himself.

Down below Ewan could see the young woman fall to pieces. She dropped to her knees and sobbed into her hands, her whole body shaking. He couldn’t make out exactly what she was saying but her body language suggested ‘no’ over and over. Next she reached out for Alexander’s hand for some semblance of kindness from the boy she apparently loved, and whom she hoped loved her; the boy whose mother was intent on utterly destroying her.

“I am… a maiden…” she whispered through her tears, turning to face Alexander with her arm extended in his direction. “Your mother is lying. Please… Alexander…," she whimpered. "Help me…”

Last edited by TinMan on Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:28 pm 

Victoria looked at Allena with a very cruel expression on her face. If she was one of the witches in the fairy tales that Rebecca liked Eugenia to read to her, she would have probably ripped out the young woman's heart and crushed it. Luckily for Allena, that while cruel, Victoria was not capable of that. Although her words were just as damaging.

Victoria sneered at Allena as she pleaded with Alexander. Victoria could see the uncertainty on her son's face. He was a young man and thought love could conquer all. He had never, until this moment, questioned anything between him and Allena. But his mother was wise. She was smarter then Henry and surely many of the nobles in their country. He hadn't seen Allena in weeks, he might not be the only one she wrote love letters to. She could be playing him...Victoria told her son.

"A true maiden waits until her wedding night before she gives all of herself to a man."

Although Victoria was not a loyal wife, she had been a virgin one on her wedding night. Henry had been the first man she had ever shared her body with. He just wasn't the only one anymore. Alexander took a deep breath and balled his hands into fists. He took a step back and said to Allena.

"She is my mother. Why would she lie to me? She has never lied to me in my life."

Victoria could be manipulative and deceptive, but it was true. She had never actually lied to her children. Sure, she had bent the truth a little sometimes and there was nothing wrong with white lies, but a full fledged lie? No, she had never done that to any of her children. If she had ever been caught in one, she would lose their trust and she couldn't have that. Not if one of her children was to become a king or queen someday. She planned to be there to guide them. Thanks to this dalliance with Allena, she would no longer be able to wait long to find Alexander a bride. She had hoped his bride would be a princess, sole heir to a throne. She didn't have the time to for that, just a proper noble girl would have to do. Victoria glanced at Katherine, who was extremely uncomfortable being here, and wondered if her daughter would be the exception to her lying. After all, she couldn't very well tell Katherine that the man she had seen her mother with was Prince Ewan.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:43 pm 

Completed RP (1)

Ewan swirled the wine in his glass as he continued to watch the events below with great amusement. “It’s so nice to see young people in love,” he joked to himself with no small amount of schadenfreude. “And well done, Victoria – though that girl was no match for you.” And even more amusing, he thought to himself, you were caught having an affair by one child, then lectured another about morality a few moments later. God how I love you.

Down below the young girl appeared to be surrendering the fight.

“Don’t leave yet, my dear…” he whispered to no one in particular. “This is just getting good.”

Allena’s sobbing paused momentarily as her mind struggled to absorb the crushing words Alexander had just delivered. He had just agreed with his mother who had, in so many words, called Allena a whore. Allena played his words over and over in her mind as she desperately tried to understand this fact while coming to grips with all of her dreams being murdered at once. Victoria had pushed a knife into her heart and then Alexander leaned in to twist it.

How could he say that? He; the boy she was going to give herself to entirely after months of courting by letter? His beautiful prose clearly pledged his undying love, trust and promises to be together forever. Alexander had played the game of courtly love exactly as he should, and she wanted more than anything to show him that she too, was just as serious about him. In a terrible flash it dawned on her that he didn’t really mean anything of what he had written.

It was true she hoped to become with his child in order to cement their bond – but that was only because Alexander had professed he shared that bond so completely. She would never have attempted to trap him into a marriage he did not want – nor would she ever saddle him with another man’s child. The plot Victoria accused her of was not only untrue, it would have been impossible to pull off. She was, after all, a virgin, and Alex would have known right away if she were not.

The air turned suddenly cold in the courtyard as she realized the only plausible explanation – that he was always planning to mislead her for his own gain. In the end he saw her as a serving wench to be used and discarded at his convenience. All at once she felt small and insignificant; shattered and used. Blinking away her tears, she stood up silently and allowed her outstretched hand to fall by her side. Never again would she reach out to him.

She then curtsied in the direction of the Dutchess, unable to make eye contact. “My lady,” she said in a gravelly voice after clearing her throat. “I swear to you – I will never so much as speak to your son… again. Ever,” she added as her voice began to break down.

Without waiting for an acknowledgement Allena then turned and began to walk out of the courtyard in opposite direction from Victoria, her head hanging heavy and low in the darkness, silent tears falling with every step. She wanted to run, but decided to do her best to allow herself some tiny shred of dignity.

The drama complete, Ewan decided to stay and wait for Victoria to make sure she was alright. He poured himself another glass as he waited.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:36 pm 

Victoria, while still angry at her son's actions, was also pleased with him. He had made the right decision. This girl had been a mistake in his young judgment but Alexander proved that he knew that his mother was always right. Alexander's eyes turned cold, his facial features were very similar to Henry's, but the look on his face in the moonlight...There was no denying he was also Victoria's son. He had meant every word he had written but Allena was clearly playing him. Victoria was right, Allena was going to use him, trap him with a child that wouldn't be his.

Victoria had won and she was pleased. She could tell from Allena's reaction to Alexander's reaction, she should not have issues with the young woman ever again. Alexander would forget all about her once Victoria found him a proper bride. Once she returned home, she would find one right away. Victoria looked down her nose at Allena and said.

"Good. Run away, little whore, and do not ever return."

She leaned closer to Allena as she added in a whisper.

"If I ever see you again, if you ever come near Alexander again, your reputation and your dreams will not be the only things I destroy."

Victoria was sure Allena would be smart enough to understand what she meant. It was a threat. If she ever saw the little maid again, Victoria would kill her. No one, not even a lowly servant who probably truly did love her child, would stand in the way of Victoria's dreams.

Pleased that Allena had walked away with what little dignity she had left, Victoria told her children it was time to head back inside.

"Alexander, I trust we will have no more issues like this again?"

She didn't just mean issues with Allena but with Alexander trying to find his own future bride.

"Never again, Mother."

Alexander replied sadly. His heart was broken. He thought Allena had loved him but she had been using him....He was such a fool. He wouldn't bother looking for love again. Whatever bride his mother chose from him, he would learn to love. He just hoped that he would be able to heal his heart fast. A good mother would have tried to comfort her son but Victoria wasn't. She was happy that he sounded defeated. It meant he would realize the girl she told him to marry would be the best choice. He wouldn't fight her about it.

"Good."

She said and after he retreated to his room, she took Katherine to hers. Katherine had been very quiet during the whole ordeal but she knew that her mother had to talk to her about what she had walked in on. She secretly hoped Victoria would not bring it up but that wasn't Victoria's style.

"Katherine, I am sure you are confused about what you saw."

"A little..."

Katherine replied quietly, looking at the floor. Victoria nodded her head.

"That is understandable. I am human and I made a mistake. All humans do, look at what your brother did."

The mistake she made was not bolting the door but Victoria wasn't about to admit that. Katherine nodded her head that Alexander had made a mistake tonight as well. He never should have thought he could find his own wife.

"Our reason for visiting Greenmor has been tragic. Seeing what happened to poor Aeronwen...It made me think of life and death. With your father back home..."

Well, Aeronwen dying had made Victoria think of things, think if Richard, his brats, and Henry all died, then she could marry Ewan and become his queen. She certainly didn't feel any guilt for her affair but she had to bend the truth for her daughter's sake.

"....I was weak and I never should have done it. But I needed to feel...alive today. I will have to seek forgiveness from God for what happened."

"Do you plan to tell Father?"

Katherine asked and Victoria's mouth tightened. Her thoughts were that there was no way in hell she'd ever tell Henry but that wouldn't be the right answer to give.

"Katherine, what happened is between me, your father, and God. As are all martial issues, as you will learn when you are married someday. Please, do not worry your pretty little head about it. It would only upset your father more if he knew you also knew."

Katherine noticed that Victoria didn't truly answer her question but she seemed to accept it. She would never say it out loud but she had far more feelings for Henry then Victoria. She never wanted to upset her father.

"Okay, Mother, I will not say anything to him."

"Good, girl. Now off to bed."

Victoria replied, pleased that Katherine should not be saying anything to Henry. She hoped both her children remained in the beds for the rest of the night. Henry would not doubt think it was awfully sudden to get Alexander engaged, before she had left, Victoria had said she thought it was time to pick his bride but Henry hadn't been in a huge rush. Victoria would be able to get Henry to see it was the best decision. He never did argue much. She returned to her own room and smiled seeing that Prince Ewan had waited for her.

"Did you enjoy the show?"

She asked, making double sure that her door was bolted. She had no doubt that he had seen and heard what happened in the courtyard.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:09 pm 

Completed RP (1)

Ewan stood off to the side near the tapestry in case she happened to bring her daughter back with her, but he suspected she wouldn’t. Once it was clear she was alone and the door was bolted, the now fully-dressed Prince Ewan stepped out of the shadows with a broad smile.

“You were amazing out there, my love,” Ewan replied through his grin as he approached the small table. “I would like to offer a toast,” he then explained as he picked up the bottle of wine and poured two glasses. “I could not imagine anyone handling those situations any better than you did. To the most beautiful, brilliant, beguiling woman on the continent. My future wife and queen – Victoria. And also – to young love.”

If she seemed amenable, he would clink glasses and drink with her. As he savored the vintage the music from upstairs lilted down to him again.

“Do you hear that? The lute player? That song always makes me think of you. We are, after all, the shadows that dwell in darkness. Do we not?”

“I know I shouldn’t be here, but I had to say goodnight. I suspect that our chance for romance has slipped away, but I wanted to make sure you were alright. That, and I wanted to congratulate you as well. I don’t know how you did it, but you managed to narrowly avoid two disasters. I’m assuming of course that Katherine is reigned in as well or else she would be here hounding you right now. Do you think she will cause trouble for us?” he asked.

“Also, does this discovery slow down our plot to relieve you of your dear husband? Would it be too suspicious to Katherine if something were to happen to him too soon?”

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:56 pm 

Victoria was happy that Ewan had waited for her. It was a shame to see him fully dress but her children had ruined their plans for the night.

"Thank you, darling."

Victoria replied with a smile when he complimented her. She was amazing, she had made sure that little whore would not taint her bloodline and was able to convince Katherine to keep what she saw a secret. She took the glass he offered and clinked it in a toast.

Victoria took a sip of the wine. She was surprised to hear a lute player so late at night. The musician must have been practicing a song for Richard. It definitely suited the night. She nodded her head to Ewan.

"That we are."

She said in agreement. She and Ewan were the shadows that dwell in the darkness.

"I am sorry my children ruined our night."

She told him. She had been hoping to have an exciting night. The next time she planned to come to the palace, Henry would be with her. Obviously, she and Ewan could not be together with him around. After what Alexander did and what Katherine walked in on...No, there was no more romance for the night. Sometimes it was best to stop when you were ahead. When Ewan asked about Katherine, she replied.

"I do not believe she will say anything. She does not want to upset Henry."

Victoria knew that Katherine, like her siblings, had more loving feelings for Henry then her. She was not a very good parent. Henry was a decent father. He wasn't as involved in the children's lives like Eugenia was, a man was not expected to do that much for any of his children, he did seem to truly love each child. He knew their interests and made efforts to spend time with them. She knew her children loved him more then her. That was okay, she wasn't capable of showing true love to anyone. Not to a lover, not to a child. She knew how the children felt about Henry and that was useful. Especially when one of her children had seen something that could ruin everything.

She sighed when Ewan asked about their plot to relieve her of Henry. Someday Henry would die, before the time God had decided. She had spent the last eighteen years being attached to him, she would not die still being his wife. When she died, she planned to a queen or at least a king or queen's mother. Her tombstone would not just read 'Here Lies the Duchess of New Haven'.

"We will have to put that plot on hold for now. Katherine adores Henry. Even if she will not say anything, she will be watching me for a while."

Katherine was observant, almost as observant as Victoria was. It was a good trait and most of the time Victoria was proud that her child inherited that trait. However, in this situation, she wished Katherine was not. Katherine would not say anything, that much Victoria believed was true, but she'd still watch her mother. Making sure what she saw was truly a one time thing.

"As much as we hate it, Henry must get to continue living out his boring little life for the time being."

The boring little life Henry had forced on her. A life she personally hated. She had hated even before she became pregnant with Alexander. Being the Duchess of a wine country was not her goal in life. Still, she needed Henry alive. Katherine could be dangerous. She had something she shouldn't. Henry drank too much and exercised too little but he wasn't in horrible health. If he suddenly died, it would be suspicious. Katherine was smart enough to put things together, especially if Victoria remarried to Ewan too fast. Besides, Victoria was still at the age she could bear children and she needed Henry to claim them.

"At least until she is old enough I can marry her off."

When Katherine was of courting age, Victoria would find her a proper husband. Hopefully by then Katherine would either forget what she saw or would be so distracted with her own future, this night would be in the back of her mind. She touched Ewan's cheek.

"Remember, my love, good things come to those who wait."

ImageImage