All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:37 pm 

Blog: View Blog (0)

They had provided Lorna Shaw a room within the western wing of Greenmoor palace.

On the very opposite side of the palace from where resided the king and his queen.

That would have been odd, given she was the daughter of a marquess; a rank amongst the peerage exceeded only by a duke. But, once one knew the circumstance of her being here, it was quite easily understood. For although Lorna was a guest in name, she was in fact something else.

And she was on sufferance in this place.

She found the room adequate, in any case. Most tastefully appointed, and with a rather splendid view of Greenmoor's sprawling, encompassing, gardens. Plainly, the lord-king had wished not only to avoid trouble, but also to provide a peaceful, serene environment where she might focus on her pious assignment, free of distraction.

Presently, she was doing just that. She dipped the quill within the ink well again, put it to a blank sheet of parchment, and began to copy from the open bible in front of her:

I fear that when I come again my God may humble me before you, and I may have to mourn over many of those who sinned earlier and have not repented of the impurity, sexual immorality, and sensuality that they have practiced.

As the other tedious passages before it, this one too she must copy seven times. She sighed faintly, exasperatedly, and began doing so.

It wasn't that she was an irreligious woman -- no. But this faith was not hers. In private, she practiced another. It was one secret, among others, that she guarded very closely.

This activity -- a part of her prescribed penance -- was merely a means to an end, like so many other things. She'd lost at the last hand of cards. And needed to ensure the next hand she was dealt, was as favorable as was possible...

Abruptly, Lorna ceased her scribing. Someone at the door...

Surely, the prospective servant she had been told they would send. Well and good. She needed one. Arising from the desk where she'd been seated, she made her way over to the door. She was dressed not in the fine and stylish apparel that was her norm, but rather in the modest, pale blue gown, deemed suitable for her activity. She was likewise devoid of the expensive jewelry with which she typically accessorized. Almost like a servant herself, in aspect. This didn't bother her a great deal. While she loved beautiful things, her sense of her self wasn't founded on trappings.

She opened and cracked the door: "Yes?"

-Heather Nova, Winter Blue

Hawkgirl: "Standard interrogation technique. I was bad cop."
Superman: "You're always bad cop."
Hawkgirl: "Why play against type?"
Urd: "I'll just be Santa's little helper...so to speak."

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:44 pm 

Sort of back.

Medals: 16
Longest RP (1) Completed RP (2)
Dedicated Partner (1) Most Patient (3)
Blog: View Blog (59)

The servant was, as every other servant in Greenmoor Palace, a lower ranking noblewoman. The position of lady-in-waiting for the Queen was a very coveted one. Lady Mary Parkinson would have desired that position above all others, but she had not managed to secure it. All was not lost, though. Despite not being assigned to the Queen, the young woman - brown hair and eyes, and a meek behavior that seemed to make her easily likable - had found herself assigned to work for a higher station noblewoman. That was not all she wanted, but it was enough to get her ahead in life if she played her cards right, the woman thought.

Lady Mary had been informed of the circumstances behind the woman's presence. She had been clearly instructed in the sense of keeping to the simple life Lorna was to lead, and to be sure to watch for her behavior. That she planned on doing, as having the woman behaving in any inappropriate manner in the palace could have dire consequences for her. But there was still something to be gained. All she had to do was be intelligent and tread carefully.

Pushing her thoughts aside, the woman knocked on the door and waited. She had been tasked with taken a simple meal of tea, milk and bread to the woman, and had decided to pay attention to her while serving it. When the door opened, the woman made a respectful courtesy. She was wearing a dark blue dress, and had her hair on a simple braid. Nothing luxurious, as she had been instructed to keep her attire plain as well. "I am Mary Parkinson, at your service, my lady. I have been sent as a servant to take care of your needs", she explained, indicating the tray. "I have been asked to bring you a meal, and to see if there is anything you find wanting in your current quarters".

After introducing herself, the young woman waited, noticing discreetly how attractive the woman was and wondering what kind of power had she had over the King, if any.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:58 pm 

Seeing that it was whom she thought, Lorna gazed upon this servant, briefly taking in detail. Which was nothing at odds with what she might have expected.

"Yes, please, come in," she said to her, opening the door the rest of the way, and moving from Mary Parkinson's path. She then turned and wandered in the direction of the window, looking out onto the gardens, while the servant placed and arranged the meal upon the table.

"The room, and its amenities, are fine, thank you for asking," she supplied. "Mostly I require peace, privacy, and order, while I am at this task, of which I am rather sure you've been informed. Your help in maintaining those things will be much appreciated." She paused for a moment, after that. Then turned from the window to face the servant.

"As well, if there is any noteworthy news, I would enjoy hearing it." She smiled faintly. "Though I cannot afford distraction in my task, some little variety would be welcome, in the name of keeping my mind fresh."

Lorna's expression and tone were sober, resigned. Just faintly humorous, in a self-deprecating way, on the last bit.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:06 pm 

Sort of back.

The servant nodded when Lorna told her to come in. She entered the room carefully, as to not drop her tray or spill anything. The woman kept silent while setting the tray and preparing the meal to be served to her new mistress. She was paying attention to the woman's behavior while doing so. She had heard both advice on how to behave and rumors. And she planned to take advantage of both. If she behaved as she should, everything would be all right. And if she brought in some rumors, it might help advance her position.

Once the meal was set, the woman stood respectfully near the set table. It was the best position to assist her mistress with whatever, after all. "I am happy to know. I am, naturally, aware of the circumstances that your stay here is to take, but it is still require that you have the necessary comforts supplied". She spoke quietly, apparently being a very serious young woman. Her eyes, though, had an intelligent and interested expression. It was clear she was paying attention to everything around her.

"I shall help maintain peace and quiet, and order, madam", Mary finally spoke, softly. "Do not concern yourself with anything. I will make sure that everything runs smoothly and that everything around you is always tidy". She nodded when Lorna asked her to tell of any noteworthy news. "I will, madam, as long as they do not disrupt your peace. I would not forgive myself for taking your thoughts away from your task". While speaking, Mary started tidying up carefully. "Is there anything specific you would like to know by now, madam?", she asked, not wanting to be the first one to say anything that could get her in a difficult situation.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:57 pm 

"My sister resides in the Duchy of Edinbyrne, wed to the duke's eldest son. I do worry about her...with the Hannish forests on their southern border. What with the brigands out there, and all. No news is good news, as they say. But I should like to know if there is any word, from out that way." Lorna hesitated, then added:

"Oh, and I confess, if Greenmoor has any visitors, that is always of interest. I miss the days when I could visit here, and mingle freely. So many intriguing people come and go from these halls. I would enjoy hearing who is coming and going. As long as it isn't some private matter, of course."

She was gently testing at boundaries. And expected it would be understood that she was. It wasn't lost upon her that Mary's eyes seemed to harbor intelligence.

Naturally. They wouldn't send some easily picked simpleton to tend me...not given the circumstance.

While listening to Mary's response, she made her way toward the table, to take her seat.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:40 am 

Sort of back.

The servant nodded when Lorna said she would like to hear any news coming from her sister's place of residence. That was perfectly normal, and something she could do without being blamed for anything improper. It was only natural that one wanted to know of their sibling's health and safety, right? "I shall bring you any news from those lands that come to me, madam", Mary promised kindly.

The request about being informed of visitors to the castle made wheels start turning inside Mary's head. What exactly was she interested in? Was there someone specific she wanted to know about? Or someone's visitors, specifically? It was something she needed to know, but it would be something to be asked at another time, once Lorna trusted her more. "Naturally, madam. As long as I know who the person is, I will be sure to let you know". The servant smiled kindly one more time. "I believe that would not disturb your penance, after all".

When Lorna took her seat, Mary walked next to the woman and started serving her. "Is this satisfactory?", she asked, indicating the meal. "It seems quite plain for a lady used to the finer things in life". Just like Lorna, Mary was also testing her boundaries. Or more properly, her mistresses's boundaries. She wanted to know if she was satisfied or upset, if something bothered her, and how she actually felt about the penance. Any shred of information helped, after all.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:32 pm 

She waved a negating hand at the comment regarding any specific person. "No -- no one, specifically. Just interesting personages, in general; dashing knights, darksome counts, ladies accessorized with elegant imports - this sort of thing." She smiled, wryly. "I'm half jesting, only half serious. I've been told my mind is too active for my own good. It was some part of my fall from grace, I am certain. But, truly, I am treating my penance most seriously. I am very blessed to have this chance to atone for my sin." She made the sign of the cross above her bosom. And whispered brief, empty, thanks to the "Father" in whom she did not believe.

Then on to the subject of the food, to which she likewise waved a hand:

"No, actually it is quite fine I think, thank you. It would hardly be fitting to be feasting, devouring rich foods, while attending to the needs of my soul. We of the peerage take so many luxuries for granted, you know; while Christ, the King of kings himself, lived so very humbly and simply. It does make one think, doesn't it?" She took her dinner knife, sliced a roll, and proceeded to lightly butter it.

"I don't believe I recognize your surname, offhand. Quite probably only because my mind is so absorbed by my studies. Who are your parents?"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:49 am 

Sort of back.

Mary nodded at Lorna's words about knowing about general visitors. She didn't really believe the woman, but it wouldn't do any good to tell her that. No, what she had to do was to stay on Lorna's good side. That could advance her position in several levels. She could find a good marriage, she could get other advantages. It would all depend on her behavior and on how pleased Lorna would be with her. Smiling discreetly, the woman decided she would milk this situation as much as she possibly could. And for that, she would have to keep her eyes and ears open at all times, and her lips only in the right moments. "Worry not, my lady", she replied respectfully. "I will keep you informed, but not to the point where I will hinder the necessary peace to your penance".

The question about the food had been more of a test than anything. She wanted to know how much lack of satisfaction the woman would display. And if she could hide it should she choose to. Mary might not be the best liar in court, but she had something better than that. She had a keen eye for people, and was good at detecting how they were actually feeling from subtle signs. And that was exactly what she planned on doing with Lorna. And of course, she would keep really quiet about anything she did happen to pick up on the air.

"I really admire your willingness to subject yourself to the penance", she commented. "I am sure God will see your good spirits and forgive you briefly".

Lorna's comment about not recognizing her surname made Mary nod. "I would have imagined, my lady", she murmured humbly. "My parents are Viscount and Viscountess Edward and Sarah Parkinson. They live a few days away from court, but sent me here for a better start at life, for which I am most grateful".

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:43 pm 

She took a bite of the roll, while Mary answered her.

Yes, -those- Parkinsons... The Viscount and his wife were the sort who generally kept their eyes open, their mouths closed. And who were somewhat known for befriending higher ranking peers. At least, Lorna had heard them spoken of in that regard. Enough so to suppose that it described a legitimate tendency of theirs.

And had their daughter learned from them?

She met the intelligent seeming eyes again, and speculated. It might be mildly interesting to find out. And, perhaps mildly useful, as well.

She nodded in response to Mary's last statement, and after swallowing her food, supplied:

"I've heard of your parents. And that's wonderful. I am rather sure that you will prosper, here. Greenmoor is a very special place, a blessed place. His majesty keeps and maintains a most splendid court."

His majesty... Once, not so very long ago, she'd been on a name basis with him. But now, it was 'yes, your majesty,' 'aye, my lord,' and 'of course, my king.' Just like any other subject of his realm. How swiftly and utterly things did change, sometimes.

But that wasn't a new lesson. It was one that she'd already learned, most thoroughly, in childhood. She smiled at this new acquaintance.

"The new year is nearly upon us. You will soon experience Greenmoor at its very best."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:56 am 

Sort of back.

Mary watched Lorna closely after she told her new mistress who her parents were. Mary knew that people spoke about her family, and not always in flattering terms. She didn't mind, though. She had been taught well at home. And one thing she had learned pretty soon was that rumors mattered little when you managed to get on the good side of the right people. That was, naturally, the reason why Mary had been sent to court. Getting the favors of the King or Queen was the top aim, but if she could get the favor of any other peer of an equal or better rank than that of her parents, she would take the chance.

When Lorna said she had heard of her parents, the young woman nodded. She would make no comment on them before learning of Lorna's thoughts about them and their conduct. From what Mary could gather from Lorna's previous conduct, she might not have any qualms against people who tried to advance their position. Her current position, though, might mean that she had changed her mind and ways. Perhaps. That was still to be seen.

"I hope I shall prosper. It is a little difficult to be apart from my family", Mary stated, looking out the window for a moment. "But you are right, His Majesty keeps excellent company, and I am sure I shall learn much here". Mary's intelligent gaze kept on Lorna's expression for a moment. There seemed to be some resentment there, which was only to be expected. She wondered about whether or not there was a real feeling involved there, but preferred to file this question in her mind and come to her own conclusions about it in the future.

Smiling brightly when Lorna commented on the New Year, the woman nodded. "Indeed. I am very much looking forward to the celebrations, and even more since my family will be present. It will be a joyful occasion, I believe", she completed. After these words, she stood by Lorna, waiting for her to say anything else, and keeping silent until then.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:41 pm 

"I am sure that it is," she said, in regard to the comment about being parted from her family.

"I understand that. I miss my own, as well." Nothing but a straight out lie, that.

What family?

There was the father whom she could barely abide. A distant and almost painfully conservative man; so devoted to his concept of the bigger picture, and to higher loyalties, that he'd little interest or time for the younger of his two female children, who'd disappointed him by not being born the other gender. As well as failed him by reaching a pair of decades in age, and not yet being married off.

There were the various relatives on his side of the family -- most of whose attitudes and views were too alike his, for her to feel anything but faint contempt toward them.

There was her deceased mother's family -- Graecian people, living rather idyllically on the isle of Thassos, in the Aegean Sea -- and little inclined to associate with their daughter's Valesian bred children; unpleasant reminders that it was a Valesian aristocrat who'd taken her life, and a Valesian husband who'd failed in his duty to keep her safe.

And there was her sister, Cassia -- the only other aside from her mother to whom Lorna had truly been close. Wed to the very same bloodline that had produced the killer who had taken their mother away from them. And now busy being the dutiful wife to a shallow swine of a man, readying to bring his first child into this benighted world. Forever mingling their lineage with that of the man who'd dealt them the very worst hurt they could ever have suffered.

Her sister had had no choice...

No. No, that isn't true. I too was betrothed...and I chose other than compliance to father's will. There is -always- choice!

And because it was so, she couldn't quite bring herself to forgive Cassia, although she still had love for her. But Cassia would never again feel truly like family to her. Not with her first and foremost commitment being to an enemy. Not while nurturing and raising their heirs.

She briefly considered Mary again; this hopeful aspirant, this probable, would-be climber. And knew some vague sense of sympathy. Yes, welcome to Greenmoor! Den of climbing, slithering, snakes. All bent upon reaching the royal bird's nest, and dining upon its bejeweled eggs! If you've not already relinquished your innocence, I do hope that you place no great value upon it...

"I am certain you will make friends here, Mary. And it will ease the ache of being parted from your family. Well. This food is just fine; I must dine, then return to my assignment. I need to be diligent, if I am to complete it in the time I was given. There is nothing else I need, right now."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:37 am 

Sort of back.

Mary nodded when Lorna said she missed her own family. She had no idea of the exact circumstances in her new mistress’ family, naturally. Yet, she knew that whatever they were, she would have said the same words. This was how well-bred ladies behaved, after all. “I shall keep you company when you feel lonely, my lady”, she promised softly.

Naturally, for Mary, family was a much closer and important concept than it was to Lorna. She had seen her parents - her cunning mother especially - as her north from an early age. Away from the woman, Mary had to admit she felt slightly lost every now and then. She knew what she wanted, and where she aimed to reach - as high as possible for her station. But the details had always been worked out by her mother. Mary wondered if her relationship with Lorna could be mutually beneficial in that sense. She had, after all, managed to reach the King’s favors, and would probably still have them if it wasn’t for the Queen. Mary, naturally, didn’t have any intention to try for the King. She planned to aim a little lower, but still high.

Mary noticed that her mistress was considering her. She did the same, silently analyzing her reactions. And learning quietly from her mistakes. She had to be very careful as to not see herself disgraced. And of course, she had no interest in being anyone’s mistress. She wanted to play her cards right and become a wife above her station.

“I thank you for the kind words, my lady”, Mary replied humbly to Lorna’s words. She nodded when the woman said she would dine and return to her assignment. “Yes, my lady”, she agreed. The woman would stand quietly at Lorna’s side and wait for her to finish her meal before picking everything up. Executing a courtesy, she excused herself and left, closing the door without making much noise. There was much to think about regarding her new mistress and how she could be placed in Mary’s plans.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:09 pm 

Lorna watched her new servant depart, considering Mary Parkinson for just another moment, ere returning her attention to other matters. And not her penance in progress; no...finishing that was merely a matter of some discipline, and invested time.

No...it was more relevant things which were at the fore of her attention.

Such as whether or no she would be giving Theodore a gift. And, if so, what.

She'd conceived several ideas, thus far...but, nothing that would really achieve any worthwhile effect. Other than observing propriety, and playing along with her role of repenting adulteress.
That was important...but, not too much so. Completing her penance was enough, she reckoned. Going further might even be construed as kissing the royal rear; though not by Theodore himself. He knew her better. But, there were others who might see it that way. And it would not serve her, going forward from here. That sort of thing engendered no respect amongst the peerage.

She arose from the table, and turned to gaze from the windows, once again. Yes...the new year was almost upon them all. And, with it, a time for new resolutions.

And as Lorna Shaw looked and thought, for some little while, at least two of those began to carefully take form.