All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:18 am 

Sort of back.

Medals: 16
Longest RP (1) Completed RP (2)
Dedicated Partner (1) Most Patient (3)
Blog: View Blog (59)

Elizabeth felt uneasy being in such a confined space with a man she barely knew. It felt wrong, as though they were doing something they shouldn't. Elizabeth felt her heart flutter a little, and wondered why she had been feeling like this. Taking a deep breath, the young woman lowered her gaze for a moment.

"It is no problem", she murmured when Wil apologized. Elizabeth was too concerned to care much about societal expectations at the moment. She knew there was something in the air, and Wylyam knew what it was.

Hearing of the murder of Henry Flockhart was shocking, but she didn't understand why it had brought Sir Philip to their doorstep. Looking into Wil's eyes, Elizabeth felt the blood rush in her veins. A feeling of weakness on her legs and of being light-headed made the girl feel as though she was about to faint.

It took all of her power not to fall into a heap on the floor right there. Taking a deep breath, the young woman held out her hands and rested them on Wil's arms for support. A few tears rolled down her cheeks, now void of color. "We are not... they are not. My Peter would never...". She shook her head, trying to regain some control. "My poor brother, sir... my poor, poor Peter. He cannot go to court alone". She stopped speaking, unable to continue until she regained some control of herself and felt less shaken.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:08 am 

Medals: 1
Completed RP (1)
Blog: View Blog (0)

Wylyam noticed immediately that Elisabeth had became unsteady on her feet. When her arms reached out he instantly dropped the candle and reached out to meet her, allowing her hands to fall on his forearms. He, in turn gently took hold of her elbows to provide some additional support. His reaction was an instinctual response to help a woman about to collapse and not a conscious attempt to touch her in any way. While she did not immediately give way, nonetheless her tears and lack of color hinted that she may still be danger. As such, All Wil could think to do was continue to hold on to her as he tried to soften the blow his words had landed. It was ironic that he wanted to speak to her in order to lessen the burden he and Sir Philip had placed upon her family – and yet in that moment he felt he had accomplished the opposite.

The candle landed on a flagstone below them but did not extinguish itself. It continued to burn, perhaps even more brightly as the tallow flowed freely away from the wick. The light cast odd shadows across their faces as they continued their conversation. Wil’s expression of sincere concern was clear even in the dim light of small chamber.

“M’lady, Ah believe in my heart tha’ yer brother will be found innacent. Ah am tellin’ ye all this to try an’ help ease your woes; I beg ye to believe me.” His concerned expression fell into a friendly smile. “Please too – donna tell anyone that we spoke. Ah would draw the ire of th’ King for certain.”

In that moment it occurred to him that she was not going to collapse and yet they were still holding onto one another, however innocent that contact was. He looked down on her delicate fingers as they wrapped around his forearms and a dizzy feeling started to come over him. His cheeks blushed and his pupils dilated as he looked up at the beauty standing before him. He found it difficult to think or even breathe in her presence.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:45 am 

Sort of back.

Elisabeth was grateful for Wylyam's support, as without it, she would probably have fallen on the cold floor. It took her a while to catch her breath and to feel better. Even when she felt well enough to stand alone, Elisabeth still kept her hands on Wil's arms. It gave her a much needed sense of emotional support, for some reason. The young woman could see the kindness in the man's eyes, and hear it in his voice.

"I pray to God that he will be found innocent, sir. I am sure that my Peter would never commit such a terrible act". Her voice trembled with a passion for her words as she spoke. Still, Wylyam's smile brought her own about. "I will not tell, sir. I would not risk causing you more troubles than you have already taken for me".

Elisabeth sighed and wondered why he had taken this risk. Her gaze moved to look for his, and she felt her heart flutter again. "We should not linger", she murmured, her voice soft as silk. "It is risky for us to be alone here". Despite her words, Elisabeth did not move to step away from Wil. On the contrary, she took one step forward and embraced him, feeling the need for human contact. "I thank you, sir, for your kindness towards me and mine". After a pause, she added a few words, her voice barely audible. "I shall do anything you require of me as a means of repaying you".

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:52 pm 

Completed RP (1)

Now it was Wil’s turn to almost faint. He froze as her arms wound around him and her gentle words caused his head to swim. Other than his mother he had never held a girl or woman before and he had no idea what to do next. His mind was overwhelmed and incapacitated with the sensation of her body gently pressing against his – even in the most innocent way possible.

Raised by monks as part of his training to become a Knight Templar, Wil had almost no physical contact with girls or women as he matured. When his father sent for him his step-mother and half-sisters loathed his existence from the start, which led to not so much as a hug in his new home. After being squired to Sir Philip Wil found himself in a tightly managed routine that prevented free time for carousing. Philip reasoned that Wil had to uphold the highest moral character if he were to overcome the stain of being born a bastard. As such Philip made sure that a poor reputation with the ladies would not add to Wil’s credibility issues in the eyes of the peerage. These high expectations and lack of confidence around girls led Wil to even avoid courtly dances and focus instead on his martial abilities. All of that meant that Wil was utterly unprepared for this situation with Elisabeth.

Unable to think rationally and forced to fall back on instinct, eventually Wil was able to gently, tentatively wrap his arms around her as well. In the process he was extremely careful not to touch her improperly in any way. The warmth of their shared embrace in the cool air instantly intoxicated him, releasing a flood of emotion through his mind and body. Most prominent of these was a sense of well-being the likes of which he had never experienced before. His eyes closed and his head lowered until his cheek brushed up against her hair. Suddenly and quite unexpectedly Wil found himself in heaven. He wanted this moment to last forever.

He did not initially respond to her words. This wasn’t because he didn’t want to – rather because he was literally speechless. When she whispered that she wished to repay him his eyes opened as he realized a response was required. He opened his mouth but no words came out until after he had cleared his throat.

“M’lady,” he replied in a whisper, “yer embrace is more than fair for any kindness Ah have giv’n ye. In fact, it is Ah who am in yer debt,” he said sincerely and in all truthfulness. “We must away, but Ah am afraid Ah canna let go…”

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:59 am 

Sort of back.

Elisabeth would never have imagined that a simple hug would have sent Wylyam into that semi-frozen state. For her, being loving and caring was something natural. Of course, she didn't go around providing embraces to strange men. Most of her hugs were reserved for family, but Wil had proven to be a friend, despite the fact that he barely knew her, so Elisabeth didn't see anything improper about a quick hug.

Being raised to be single forever, it was obvious that Elisabeth equally had little to no contact with men other than her father and brother. That included, naturally, physical contact. Her life was kept busy with prayers, studies and family, and up until the moment, it had been enough for Elizabeth. Now, who knew? She was feeling funny, and it was strange to see a man look at her with some sort of admiring gaze. As hard as she tried not let it get to her, it did feel good to have this sensation for once.

When Wil embraced her back, Elisabeth closed her eyes and sighed. That felt good, and she had been really in need of that warmth and affection that the hug conveyed. Of course, it was a little odd to be embracing a man that was basically a stranger, but that didn't matter at the moment. Only the feeling of being warm and safe in his arms mattered right now. It was a warmth that came from more than the simple physical contact. It was something that came from the inside, and Elisabeth couldn't explain it, even if she wanted to. The one thing she knew was that, as Wil, she didn't want this short and sweet moment to end.

It had to end, though. Looking up at Wil when he started speaking, Elisabeth smiled and blushed a little. "I believe then we should leave it tied that neither of us owes the other anything?", she suggested, her voice barely above a whisper. His subsequent words made her blush even harder. "I believe we should part, you are right, sir. It is not right for us to be here like this". Placing her hands on Wylyam's shoulders, Elisabeth slid them down to his elbows, but did not push back just yet. "I must retreat into my chambers now. Should anyone see us here, it would be an irreparable stain on my name". These words came out almost as a plead, and the young woman fell silent after saying them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:14 pm 

Completed RP (1)

In that moment it felt to Wylyam as if he had known her all of his life – or that they were old friends becoming reacquainted. In any case he basked in the warm glow of this beautiful young woman as if she were a beam of light falling from the clouds above. Her words and actions told him that his moment in the sun was coming to an end, however. A pained expression came to his face as he retrieved his arms from the back of her gown. In the process his hands fell limply to his sides as if weighed down by lead ingots. As the two of them parted Wil’s flushed cheeks and shy eyes came into view.

“Ne’er would Ah act in a way ‘at would brin’ harm tae ye ur yer honor, m’lady,” he said with certainty. “Before we part may Ah have a boon?” he asked before breathing deeply and releasing a halting sigh. I can face opponents on the battlefield… but not this? Why is this so hard? he wondered to himself before his words returned to him. “Ye ur a wonderfully special person, Elisabeth. Ah hope we can spick more… an’ perhaps one day Ah may be lucky enaw tae become… your friend.”

By that time the candle on the floor had become a puddle of tallow and the wick was rapidly burning out, leaving the two of them to face one another in gathering darkness.

The greater part of Wil’s overwhelmed mind screamed at him that he should try to kiss her before it was too late. What if he never saw her again? Another part begged him not to move too quickly and spoil things. At the same time his self-doubt crept in and told him she was just being kind and would never want to be with a Garakin bastard. And even if he found the courage to try and kiss her, he reasoned, he had no idea how! What if she refused? The battle raging behind his eyes was brief but decisive. Beaten back by his sense of duty and his own inexperience, Will retreated away from her by a single step. He did so with an expression of sadness tinged with a flicker of hopeful expectation.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:08 am 

Sort of back.

Elisabeth couldn't tell exactly how she felt. She knew it was good, and warm. She wasn't even trying to define it as of now. What could it be? She was embracing a man she barely knew, and loving it. But even though she didn't know what that feeling was, she knew it was not proper for her to be in there, alone with Wylyam. If they were seen leaving a small chamber together, or one right after the other, it would be extremely bad for both their reputations, and cause a world of problems. Specially for her, but probably for him as well, given the difference in their current positions.

Still, it was hard for Elisabeth to pull apart from Wil. As she did so, she looked into his eyes, fighting the temptation to caress his face or hold his hands. "I know you would never cause me any harm, sir", she replied to his words. Nodding when he asked if he could have a boon before they parted, Elisabeth waited for him to request what he wanted. She was ready to say yes to anything he wanted and was not beyond what she could offer. His words made her smile and nod. "You are a special person as well, Sir Wylyam, for the kindness and compassion shown to a stranger. And I would be honored by your friendship". Her voices sounded quietly, but firmly, and she was being completely honest.

Standing in there, in the growing darkness and so close to Wylyam, Elisabeth felt like something was missing there. Like something could have been done or said and it had not been. Watching the sadness in Wil's expression made her want to ease it, though. But Elisabeth was, as Wil, young and inexperienced in the whole movement of courtly involvements. Her next movement was caused by a sudden inspiration. Fumbling in the semi-dark room, Elisabeth took something from her dress, near her bosom, and placed it in Wil's hand, closing it over the object.

Before he had a chance to say anything or even look at it, she fled the linen chamber with a racing heart and her cheeks burning, and rushed to her own chambers.

When Wil looked at the soft and warm object that carried her scent, he could see it was a delicate handkerchief with an E embroidered at one corner.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:37 pm 

Completed RP (1)

A palpable sense of relief washed over Wylyam when she responded positively to his request. His concerned expression instantly changed to one of pure joy when she agreed to be his friend. She hadn’t refused him or laughed in his face as he secretly feared and dreaded. If she had, it felt to him as if the floor would have opened and swallowed him whole. Instead, now he felt as light as a feather with the thought that she might have similar feelings for him, too. Any lingering doubts on that point were erased when she retrieved her favor and pressed it into his hand before racing away. Wil was over the moon.

Once she had dashed from sight Wil opened his hand and looked at the delicately embroidered handkerchief, which was no doubt created by her own hand. He held her favor reverently as if it were one of the most priceless artifacts in the kingdom. That is because to him, in that moment, it was. He could hardly believe his good fortune.

After gently folding and placing the favor in the pocket of his tunic, he next dropped to one knee and began picking at the now-hardened candle wax. He knew he had to wait a few minutes before exiting and decided to clean up the evidence of their presence there while doing so. When he stood again it struck him that he should have asked for the favor instead of dawdling and forcing her to act first. He closed his eyes and bumped his head against a linen shelf as the events played again in his head. You idiot! he told himself a few times as he thought it over. Later that night he returned to his quarters to find Philip still not there.

Once back, Wil studied the favor for a long time by candlelight, breathing in the faint smell of her perfume before eventually turning in. This was, undoubtedly, the greatest night of his life. In hindsight he decided that it was probably for the best that he hadn’t tried to be more forward with her. Even if she would have agreed to kiss him, it would have been ungentlemanly. While he realized that he had backed away out of fear and not his sense of personal chivalry – still having been reserved may have helped him in the end with a woman of Elisabeth’s moral character. Wil slept peacefully and dreamed of them kissing several times. At one point he awoke with a mouth full of pillow feathers.

The next morning he was awoken by Sir Philip who looked like he hadn’t slept at all. “We’re leaving, and bringing the boy with us. And, apparently, the girl too.” Wylyam had never jumped to his feet as quickly as he did right then.

“What!?!” he asked with a bit too much excitement.

“Calm yourself,” he replied with disapproval. “Elisabeth’s father is sending her to advocate for Peter on his behalf, since the King specifically asked Sir Jonas to remain behind. This is a murder investigation, boy, not a chance for courtship. I expect you to be on your best behavior the entire time. Now get the horses ready, we leave as soon as their things are together – hopefully before breakfast. We want as little commotion as possible.”

Wil nodded, grabbed his things and raced from the chamber to prepare for the trip. He found it very difficult to contain his joy, but did his best to hide it in order to not seem insensitive to Peter’s situation.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:02 pm 

Sort of back.

Elisabeth felt her heart flutter when she left Wil alone. She knew it had been an extremely daring move to place her favor in his hand. If he had not wanted it, she would be in big trouble, as he might tell her father. That would be a terrible thing for the girl, and she prayed that he would not do it. Yet, from his words, Elisabeth knew that Wylyam wouldn't put either her or her reputation in danger.

Entering her chambers, Elisabeth took a long time to breathe and calm herself down, before ringing for her servant to come help her prepare for bed. She didn't confide anything in the servant, and kept silent as the young woman helped her. After getting changed, she said her night prayers and laid in bed. It took Elisabeth some time to fall asleep, as she couldn't stop thinking about the events in the linen chamber. Her heart beat so fast it took her a long time to manage to fall asleep.

Despite the fact that she slept very late, Elisabeth had been woken up very early, upon request by her father. Still sleepy, she got dressed and went to Sir Jonas to see what he wanted. His statement about Peter having to go to court did not surprise her, but the one about her being allowed to go to advocate for him made Elisabeth's heart soar. She had been feeling terribly nervous about being apart from her brother while he faced troubles in court, and now she would be allowed to accompany him and be by his side. And - a little part of her whispered - she would have the chance to be near Wylyam for longer, and away from her father.

Pushing these thoughts aside, Elisabeth promised Sir Jonas that she would keep an eye on her brother and help him as much as she could, and then excused herself to gather her belongings. As she had no idea how long that would take, Elisabeth gathered some belongings inside a chest and left word with her servant as to what she should send later, as they could not waste time. She then helped her brother get set up, and had a silent cup of tea with him before they were both ready to leave. Asking for only a moment, Elisabeth retreated into the property's chapel for a few minutes, to offer prayer for the success of her endeavor, before stepping in front of Sir Philip and making a polite courtesy. "We are ready, Sir", she spoke for herself and her brother, who seemed understandably nervous. "I hope I have not kept you waiting for long", she completed, slipping her hand into Peter's and squeezing it softly as a means of comforting her brother. She tried not to look at Wil, as it wasn't a proper moment for such things, but her eyes slipped to the man every now and then, of their own accord.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:33 pm 

Completed RP (1)

Both Sir Philip and Wil bowed respectfully in response to Elizabeth’s curtsy. Philip was able to completely hide the annoyance he felt at having the girl tag along. This was not a garden party they had been invited to – the King was investigating a murder.

“My lady, we are honored to be in your company for the journey,” he said politely regardless of how he felt on the matter. “Since I assume you will be riding with a lady’s saddle, I will be sure to lead us at an appropriate pace. However if I forget myself, please do not hesitate to remind me.”

Philip was talking about the need to travel more slowly as Elisabeth would likely ride side-saddle. Ladies’ saddles allowed them to keep both legs on the same side of the horse in order to provide a measure of dignity when riding in a gown. Unfortunately this also meant that ladies had less control of their mounts when compared to men who rode by straddling their horses. This in turn usually required a more leisurely pace for ladies to safely remain in their saddles.

Wil, however, had the opposite problem as Philip. He appeared blushed and invigorated by the prospect of traveling with Elisabeth and did everything he could to look serious and composed. It wasn’t working very well, though, and Philip took notice. The older man gave his protégé more than one sharp look while they waited for Elisabeth’s response.

Philip next turned to Peter. “Master Peter, we welcome your presence as well. May I ask how you fare this morning?”

Once Peter had replied Philip went on to make an awkward request.

“I think you know what I am about to ask, Peter,” he continued in a low tone so that no one other than the four of them could overhear. “As your father probably has explained – once we are out of sight of the castle I will ask you to hand your sword and any other weapons you have over to Wylyam for safe keeping during our journey. Is that acceptable to you?”

While Philip felt strongly about this point he was not about to argue about it in the open. If the boy refused he would simply let the King know, which would in turn make him look guilty. Philip was not overly concerned about Peter as a threat to him since he believed the boy to be innocent. Innocent or not, however, agents of the King’s Justice were still required to do their duties. One of those duties was to present a murder suspect to the King unarmed.

Once that had been sorted out Philip suggested they mount their horses and make their way out of the castle gates. Wylyam made it a point to help Elisabeth up onto her horse, despite Philip’s eye rolling in the background. As he held her stirrup with one hand he reached out to her with his other, meanwhile he managed to catch her eye with a warm smile.

Given the fact that Philip was watching Wil like a hawk the only feasible way they could speak on the road was if she directly addressed Wil. That was something that Wil hoped would happen from time to time. Once mounted up with their provisions Philip gave the order to depart.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:13 am 

Sort of back.

Elisabeth was unsure about how Sir Philip and Wylyam felt about her presence with them. She would have imagined that it wouldn’t be a welcome one, as having a woman come along would slow their pace due to the position she would be using to ride. Yet, between her brother’s well-being and someone else’s annoyance, Elisabeth didn’t hesitate. Peter was, after all, family, and someone had to be with him.

Sir Philip’s words in greeting to her put Elisabeth at ease. He might not be happy with her presence, but if he at least intended to be polite and respectful, things would work out. “I appreciate your kindness, Sir Philip”, the girl answered kindly. “I will do my very best not to be more of a hassle than necessary”.

As for Wylyam, Elisabeth noticed, she would have no problems with him. He seemed happy to see her, and that gave her a pleasantly warm feeling inside. The girl tried to rationalize that she simply felt relieved to have a friend she could count on. But she knew the truth was far more complex, and perhaps far more dangerous for both herself and Wil.

Peter, despite looking like he hadn’t slept all night, nodded politely when Sir Philip turned to him. “Very well, thank you, Sir Philip. I hope you fare just as well”, the young man replied.

Sir Philip’s request was somewhat offensive to Peter, as it implied that he was not trustworthy, but he knew better than to deny it. After all, an honest man, when treated with distrust, would take action to be trusted, and not the contrary. With that in mind, the young man nodded. “Yes, Sir Philip. My only request is that, should the need for defense arise, my sword be returned to me so I can keep my sister safe. Otherwise, I will happily leave my weapon in the competent guard of your squire”. Elisabeth sighed in relief that Peter wouldn’t cause any trouble. She knew that the less trouble he caused, the easiest it would be to defend him. Not that it would be easy by any stretch of the imagination.

Once everything had been sorted out, Peter exchanged one last glance with his sister and mounted on his horse, preparing his sword and a dagger to be handed over when the moment came. As for Elisabeth, she felt her heart flutter as Wil came to help her. Her hand rested on his, and she took an impulse to settle herself on the saddle, fixing her skirts after getting in position. “Thank you, Sir”, the girl whispered softly. Despite the fact that she would have liked to hold onto Wil’s hand for a while longer, she slipped hers away from his and left him with a shy smile as a substitute, before placing her hands properly to keep steady and waiting for Sir Philip’s word so they could start moving. It felt like they were in for a long and awkward trip, but hopefully, also an uneventful one, Elisabeth thought as she got her horse to move right after Sir Philip’s order.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:38 pm 

Completed RP (1)

Philip gave the order to depart as soon as everything was in order, leading the small party out the least-heavily traveled gate. The late summer sun was glowing warmly even at this early hour. Wil was glad they were getting an early start for the sake of the horses.

They formed up into pairs with Philip and Wil riding side by side in front and the siblings behind. As they went Philip made a few comments to Wil about the horses and their pace, but nothing of any real significance. The horses, for their part, seemed happy to moving at a moderate walking gait. Their heads bobbed slowly up and down in time with the rhythm of their hooves as they went. All the while Wil wondered how the siblings were doing behind him. Every few minutes he turned to glance at them both with a friendly, supportive expression – especially Elisabeth.

“Are ye both holdin’ up alright?” he asked at one point. It was killing him to be so close to Elisabeth but not be able to talk freely. If only they didn’t have a chaperone and her little brother along…

About an hour outside the castle Wil turned to Philip and asked about Peter’s weapons. By that time the party had entered a thick wood.

“Young Peter,” Philip responded by turning in his saddle to face the boy directly. “You may keep your weapons. I was merely curious as to your disposition about them. It is the honest man who as nothing to fear in life…” he began, but his voice trailed off. He brought his eyes forward without attempting to draw attention to what he saw in the distance behind them.

Not long after Wil had also turned around to check on their guests and did a double take.

“Turn around and look forward, Wylyam. Do not look as if you have seen anything. That goes for you two as well. Please keep your eyes forward.”

Wil brought his horse a step closer to Philip's in order to whisper to his master. Despite their best efforts it was impossible to disguise their voices from the other two.

“Ah coonted four ay them. Their horses an' equipment looked ta be puur, but swords an’ shields wur drawn.”

“Brigands mostly likely; who could also be horsemen for hire,” Philip responded also in a whisper. The senior knight had a sense of what they were in for. “I’d wager they are after the boy, and that there are more ahead.”

“We coods take four ur five ay them,” Wil replied with the confidence of youth.

“Perhaps. I know you would do your share, Wil – but we have a bigger problem. If there are four or five of them how will we protect the girl? There is only one way to be safe – for you to circle around through the wood and escort her back to the castle as fast as you can, then return with help.”

“What!?!” Wil shouted, forgetting himself. Only a few moments ago he was wishing he could ride alone with Elisabeth – but still the idea of abandoning his knight in an hour of need was unthinkable.

“Consider it well, Wylyam – we have no choice,” the older knight chastised him sternly. Wil went silent as he attempted to square what he felt with what Philip believed to be best. How could this have happened? What was he supposed to do?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:31 am 

Sort of back.

Elizabeth and Peter rode side by side, talking very quietly to each other. Peter wondered if he would be considered innocent, and Elizabeth tried to assure her brother that she would plead and beg for him if needed. And that he had been home with her at all times for a few days, so he could not have committed the murder. Peter tried to trust his sister, but he felt afraid that all of it would matter little if someone was out to get him. At times, when Wil looked back at her, Elizabeth smiled at him for a few seconds and then turned her attention to Peter again.

When Wil talked to them, both siblings nodded. "We are, thank you", Peter replied. He was slightly upset at the evident interest between his sister and the squire, but didn't really feel in a position to say anything. Not in his current predicament.

At Sir Philip's words on his weapons, Peter nodded. He would gladly give up his weapons once he was sure they were safe, but the young man wouldn't forgive himself if something happened to his sister, who had left the home only because of him. "I appreciate, Sir. I have, indeed, nothing to fear but that any harm may befall Elizabeth".

When Sir Philip gave the order for all to look forward, Peter and Elizabeth exchanged glances. The young man felt his heart race. He could hear the conversation between the two men, and moved a little forward, keeping an eye on Elizabeth. "If I may", the boy started, waiting for permission to speak. He sighed softly and looked at his sister. "I agree with Sir Philip, and would not forgive either myself or you, gentlemen, if some harm were to happen to my sister for your refusal to lead her back home". He finished his words looking at Wil.

"I am sure Sir Philip and I can hold them off for a while, until help arrives. But without help, I fear we would be unable to hold out on our own, even with your presence". Peter exchanged a glance with his sister, than looked at Wil. "Please, sir. I trust you to guard my sister with your life", he pleaded, forgetting his previous bout of jealousy.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:12 pm 

Completed RP (1)

Wylyam was so overwhelmed by the situation that he was practically frozen in his saddle. Choosing to follow Philip’s advice and not turn around, he instead read Peter’s expression out of the corner of his eye. Wil’s eyes darted between Peter and Philip as the young man desperately tried to make sense of what was happening. It was all he could do to hold his reigns and remain upright as his mind raced from one terrible alternative to another. Was this the last time he would ever see Philip alive? Could he even protect Elizabeth if they were alone?

The squire was no stranger to adversity. Growing up the bastard son of the noble from an unpopular foreign land, Wil constantly had to defend himself both verbally and physically. In some ways Wil felt that it would have been easier being an orphan since they occasionally were shown pity. As a result of these challenges Wil became a young man who was driven, tough and disciplined – quick with wit, fist and sword. That kind of upbringing forces a man to make peace with the eventuality of his death. As such Wylyam did not overly fear it; in fact he had always assumed that he would never grow old. On the contrary what he feared most desperately was failure. Even the thought of choosing unwisely and letting down Philip, the one man who had shown him any significant kindness, had all but paralyzed Wil into inaction.

And what of Elisabeth? He turned his head slightly to catch a glimpse of her eyes out of the corner of his own. His glance was kind yet concerned as he looked to her for the answer to the question of what to do next. To his surprise Wil saw something he had not expected in her eyes – courage. In that moment he realized that this was a brave young woman who was projecting more calm than he was in that moment. She was a woman bold enough to leave home to travel across the country to defend her brother against some unknown foe. This was a woman of character who deserved better than to meet her fate at the hands of brigands. He blinked as a sense of calm descended over him like a warm blanket. This decision wasn’t about him or his fear of failure – it was about the safety of the siblings in their charge. Come what may, Wil resolved to see her safely home. She deserved at least that much.

“Ah unda-stand. Ah will dae as ye ask, Sir Philip,” he replied simply with a sense of resolve before glancing back at Elizabeth. “M’lady, we must away…” he said nodding in her direction. “Are ye ready?”

Just ahead of them a track crossed the forest trail. Wylyam looked over to his mentor with an expression of resigned gratitude and nodded. Philip smiled back knowingly as he said goodbye.

“Make me proud, Wylyam,” Philip said simply. To that Wil could only respond by nodding; his ability to speak suddenly abandoned him. With that Wil allowed the siblings a chance to also say their goodbyes before leading Elisabeth away to the right.

Wil rode in silence for a few hundred yards before the track disappeared completely and they found themselves walking through a dense forest. At that point Wil dismounted to lead both of their horses on foot, assuming that Elizabeth would prefer to stay mounted.

“M’lady, ur ye alright?” he asked, looking up with friendly eyes and a sad expression. If only their situation wasn’t so desperate this would be one of the greatest moments of Wil’s life.

Behind Wil’s back about twenty paces away the brush moved slightly without a wind to stir it. The tip of an arrow silently projected through the thicket, drawn by a bow held by a man hiding within. He appeared to be aiming at Wil.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:32 pm 

Sort of back.

Elizabeth could feel that things were dire. She didn't know exactly how bad the situation was, but it was clearly not an easy one. Her heart raced when she thought that something could happen to Peter. Had she been given a choice, she would have stayed by her brother. But she knew staying might have the opposite effect to what she expected. She knew that Peter would protect her with his life, and might lose it in the process. That was the only reason why she accepted the idea of returning home. Because they couldn't do it alone, and help could be found at home.

Looking into Wylyam's eyes, Elizabeth nodded. "I am ready, sir", she murmured, her voice firm. Her blue eyes had an equally firm expression. Her expression changed to a softer one when she looked at Peter, hoping that not to be the last time she laid eyes on her beloved brother. "Please, Holy Mother, protect my brother", she murmured, taking one last glance at both men before following Wil. The shorter the time she spent there, the better, after all.

Elizabeth also kept silent, feeling her heart heavy and a wave of fear for all of them. When Wil dismounted, Elizabeth thought for a moment before doing the same. It was for the best that she kept as close to him as possible, she thought. Nodding when Wil asked if she was alright, Elizabeth sighed. "Yes, sir, thank you. I am just concerned about my brother and all of us", she replied, hoping they would be home soon.

"Let us not linger, as we need to reach home as soon as we possibly can", she commented. As the movement was behind both backs, Elizabeth didn't notice anything, and kept looking forward. "Do you believe we will be out of these woods soon?", she asked, turning to look at the squire.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:27 pm 

Completed RP (1)

“Ah donno. We’re nae goin’ as fast as i’d like – but at leest we’rr alone,” Wil observed. Sharing her sense of urgency, Wil took hold of a bridle in each hand and led the horses west. Unfortunately the forest was quite dense in that area and their progress continued to be slow. As they walked away the man with the drawn bow relaxed its string before standing up and looking around. He creeped along behind the two of them at a safe distance, moving stealthily through the shadows cast from the treetops high above.

As Wil and Elisabeth traveled the squire kept himself focused entirely on their environment. Had their circumstances been a little less serious he would have preferred to speak to her more. Unfortunately their situation made that too dangerous. In lieu of conversation, though, whenever Wil looked turned his head to look around he always made sure to flash a reassuring smile at Elisabeth. He tried to communicate with his eyes that everything was going to be OK, even if deep down he wasn’t entirely convinced.

Then came the hoof-beats. Off in the distance ahead of them the sound of a galloping horse could be heard.

“M’lady…” he whispered, offering her a hand down. “We must make ourselves small – please walk with me.”

As they walked he did not let go of her hand unless she seemed to wish it so. From that spot he led them to the trunk of a large weeping willow that had branches dangling down to the ground. While the horses were too large to conceal completely, at least the tree provided some measure of concealment. Wil tied them up to the trunk without any objection from the two animals which seemed content to graze on the grass nearby. Wylyam thought about creeping out and peering through the branches but quickly decided against it. Instead he continued to hold Elisabeth’s hand and listen intently. If she tried to speak he raised a finger to his lips, begging her to be quiet for the time being.

After about ten minutes of tense waiting Wil became convinced that the threat had passed.

“Ah think we can gie movin' again, m’lady,” he said, looking into her eyes with a relieved smile. He took her other hand in his to try and add some measure of assuredness to his words. Little did he know how precarious their situation had become.

Behind him, the mysterious bowman had taken up position in the thick brush and again was training his longbow on Wil. Realizing that their attention was suddenly focused on each other – and the horses were tied up – the man realized this was the time to move. Without warning an arrow flew from the brush and whistled through the air, striking the ground at Wil’s feet with a soft thud. As quick as lightning the man had notched another arrow as he stepped out of cover. Wil’s head spun to look in the direction of danger just in time to make out the hooded longbowman about to fire again.

“Not one move, lad… not a one,” the man of the forest warned. “Draw your sword and throw it to me now, like a good lad,” he added.

“Highwayman…” Wil whispered to Elisabeth. “Ma God, what’s next?”

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:27 am 

Sort of back.

Elisabeth nodded when Wil said they weren’t going as fast as he would have liked. She would have loved to be quicker as well. She could have, if she wasn’t wearing that dress, she thought, looking down. She looked at Wil and sighed softly. It would have been really good to be able to wear pants. It would definitely increase her mobility. Shaking her head, Elisabeth kept on moving. It would do them no good to keep thinking about what could be. They had only time to move as fast as they possibly could, and hope it would be enough.

Elisabeth kept close to Wil, and kept her gaze shooting here and there around them. She wasn’t, of course, as experienced as Wil in checking her environment, but she felt that two pairs of eyes would be better than one. She would also have enjoyed speaking to Wil a little more, at least to put herself at ease. But she knew that talking would distract their attention. Wil's smile did reassure her, though, and made her feel a little bit better. She wasn’t alone, at least. Even if something should happen, she would have someone at her side. She would only have wished to be able to be of more use, in any way, but there was nothing she could do about it right away.

Hearing the hoof-beats, Elisabeth felt her heart sink. Was it one of the men who were chasing them? Or someone else entirely? She would hope for the best outcome, but not trust it entirely.

When Wil offered her a hand, she took it and squeezed it hard. Nodding, she walked as close to Wil as she possibly could. As they walked, she didn’t let go of his hand either. It made her feel safer because they were walking together, and because their hands were touching, giving her a feeling of comfort. She helped as she could when he tied the horses, caressing the neck of her own animal so it would be quiet, and kept on closer to Wil. Resting her head against his arm, the young lady kept quiet, praying silently for protection.

When Wil said they could get moving, Elizabeth took a deep breath and let out some air she didn’t even know she was holding. Holding his hands, the girl smiled at Wil and nodded. "I am relieved, sir. We cannot waste a second", she murmured, looking around for a moment. She looked quickly, and didn’t pay much attention to their surroundings. If Wil said everything was well, then it should be. He was much more experienced than her, after all.

Unfortunately for both of them, their peace of mind wouldn’t last long. Before Elisabeth could draw another deep breath, she heard the sound of the arrow, and jumped a little when it stopped right at Wil's feet. Looking around again, she shivered when the man stepped out of cover. Her hand squeezed Wil's tightly as her mind went through all the worst case scenarios it could possibly create. At Wil’s words, ‘what's next’, Elisabeth shook her head on a negative, seemingly devastated. “I believe you should do as he says”, she murmured, not taking her eyes away from the man. “I believe there is no other option”.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:33 am 

Completed RP (1)

It was only after he heard the desperation of Elizabeth’s words that the reality of their situation finally settled upon Wylyam. When it did, though, his expression changed to a demeanor only a few had ever witnessed – and none who did would soon forget. His eyes came to burn with the cold fury of long-buried resentments as a righteous anger bubbled up from the deepest well of his soul. He slowly let go of Elizabeth’s hand and placed it on the hilt of his sword.

Wil had grown up the abandoned bastard child of a foreign noble. Although his mother and grandfather made sure he was provided with the essentials – such as an education and a profession – still he resented being robbed of a life of a privilege by his station. In any case his mother taught him that he was not to blame for his lot in life, nor did he have any control over the events of the past. She instilled in him a desire to act with honor and pride in everything he did – which were both aspects of his character that he could control. If he lived in a becoming manner then those things could never be taken away from him, she explained. While growing up Wil channeled the anger he felt at his situation into actions that supported those ethics. Even after his father called for him to take Wil’s place as his son and heir, Wil never lost sight of the virtues inspired by his mother’s sage advice.

Now, lost in the woods on a most desperate errand, Wil stood to be robbed of both by a common criminal holding a mere stick made of yew. Giving the man his sword – his sacred weapon – would take from him his honor; and giving away the horses would steal his pride. In addition, Wil reckoned, losing either would greatly hurt the chances of Elizabeth returning home safely. In the light of this travesty of all of God’s laws and any sense of justice, Wylyam saw that he had no choice but to make a stand. His steely resolve was abundantly clear in the ferocious expression he leveled at the criminal before him.

Wil slowly drew his sword from his scabbard but instead of dropping it, he held it at length towards the bandit. “Ah wul nae surrender mah weapon, an' Ah realize ye cannae simply disappear since yoo’ve crossed th' Rubic’n. It seems we ‘ave a problem.”

The bowman’s confident expression showed signs of concern while his fingers adjusted their hold on his weapon. He did not know what the Rubicon was but he realized in that moment Wil was no pushover. Sweat formed on the man’s brow. “I’ll do it – I’ll kill yea,” he threatened.

“Nae,” Wil responded. “Ye will try. An' if ye dinnae, Ah will cleave ye in half afair ye can notch anither. Dae ye troost yer life oan yer shot? Dae ye?” Wil asked with supreme confidence. The squire projected the icy tone of a man without fear; a man without concern for his own safety; a man who wanted the highwayman more than dead.

The criminal looked even more concerned. “Look,” he said swallowing hard. “You said it – I can’t just walk away. You’ll run me down for sure. Keep your weapons and your gold – just leave me the horses. She’ll never survive here without you!” the man tried to convince Wil. “You don’t want to die today, son – any more than I do. That is a fair offer.”

Wil exhaled. The deepest part of his being wanted to show the thief that he had crossed the wrong bastard that day. Then the thought came over him that perhaps his pride was worth sacrificing for Elizabeth’s safety. He sighed as he wondered what his mother would have him do, blinking as he thought things over. After a quick glance at Elisabeth to read her expression Wil made his decision.

“Lower yer bow, we will tak' our provisions an' away. Ye may keep th' horses,” he said with angry resignation. “Elizabeth, please take your things,” he said to her in a softer tone.

After a silent goodbye to his long-time and much-beloved charger, Morningstar, Wil lead Elizabeth away through the far side of the canopy and into the forest beyond. The bandit made quick work of the horses and was away. Red-faced with embarrassment, Wil sincerely apologized to Elizabeth once the hoof beats had faded into the distance.

“Truly, Ah am sorry m’lady. Ah hae failed ye this day, as Ah hae failed mah Knight.”

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:14 pm 

Sort of back.

Life, for Elizabeth, had been very different than what Wil had lived through. She had come from a noble family, and naturally, she was a legitimate child. That made a world of difference in life, no matter how rich or how poor your family was. So, despite the fact that she could understand the concept of honor - that was something that had been taught her from the crib -, she couldn’t understand the feelings of a person who had been treated as a bastard his entire life.

So, when Wil threatened the man with his sword instead of surrendering it, Elizabeth gasped in surprise. She took one step back, already predicting something bad would happen. And she would probably pay for Wil’s reaction as well as him.

When the archer threatened to kill Wylyam, Elizabeth moaned softly. She was pretty sure she would be next. And that would be if she had luck on her side. If she didn’t, the man would probably have some entertainment at her expense, and only then kill her.

The squire’s confident intonation made Elizabeth more and more concerned. She wanted to trust Wil’s ability to keep them both alive. But it was difficult to do when all she could see was a desperate man who was clearly willing to kill.

When the man tried to reason with Wil and tell the young squire that she couldn’t survive without him, Elizabeth prayed that he would listen to the man. He was a criminal, of course, but he was making a sound point. And if Wil agreed to his terms, they might both leave that place with their lives preserved and their bodies intact.

Elizabeth’s expression nearly begged Wil to be reasonable and act on both of their best interests. When he made up his mind and decided to surrender the horses, the girl let out a breath she didn’t even know to be holding.

Saying farewell to her own horse, Elizabeth took her provisions and waited for Wil to finish parting with his. She kept silent until they reached a far enough point away from the criminal. “We are both alive and unharmed”, the girl murmured, trying to cheer Wil up and touching his arm gently. “You have not failed me, then, sir. And you have obeyed Sir Philip. Lift your spirits, we must keep on walking, and sorrows will not push us forward”.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:57 pm 

Completed RP (1)

To Wil’s great surprise Elizabeth was able to instantly dispel the melancholy that had settled on him through her kind words and gentle gesture of support. His downtrodden expression of failure rose into a solemn yet genuine smile. His eyes twinkled as he squinted in her direction with a look of intense relief. As long as she was there to support him, somehow Wil felt that everything was going to be OK.

“Ah am humbled, mah lady, tae be in th' presence ay someain wi' such wisdom, An' yet also… possess… such beauty...” He blushed as the heartfelt words stumbled out of him haltingly from lack of practice. Having almost no experience talking to women – let alone courting them – Wil felt completely out of his depth. That didn’t stop him from telling her how he felt in any case. He didn’t know if they would survive to see the next day – so he found it easier to speak his mind.

Before she could withdraw her hand from his arm he reached over and gently took hold of it with his own. Although his muscular hands were coarse and cracked from the hard work of his profession, nonetheless he held her with no uncertain gentleness.

“If ye will permit me, mah lady; Ah wood loch tae offer ye mah hand in support. Th' ground is roogh an' uneven an' yer baffies are nae gart fur it...” He continued to blush as he touched her, however innocently, and for as long as she would allow it.

They made slow progress as they pushed through the dense underbrush of the forest, looking out constantly for any sign of a path or trail. As they went Wil did his best to make conversation. At one point he explained that it was unlikely that the bandit could manage both horses anyway.

“He can’t possibly hae th' trainin' needed tae ride a warhorse, an’ Morningstar won’t ride behin' a mare palfrey. Guid luck tae heem,” he said dryly.

They continued as best they could for the better part of an hour and occasionally slipped on the moist, uneven ground from time to time. At one point it seemed that Elizabeth may have hurt her foot during one of those slips. Obviously concerned, Wil dropped his pack and kneeled down beside her to help any way he could.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next