Sort of back.

Medals: 16
Longest RP (1) Completed RP (2)
Dedicated Partner (1) Most Patient (3)
Blog: View Blog (59)

Chicago, IL, 2015

Date: July 15th, 2015

Time: 9:00 pm

The gymnasium was nearly empty at that time. Only a woman in her mid-thirties, a man probably a little older and a younger man were in the place. The woman sat on a chair outside a small training ring. The older man was near it, watching as the younger man shadow-boxed. It was clearly a private training session.

The woman sitting there was Isis Logan. She owned that gymnasium, and was both men's employer. The older man was Yuri, and nobody was really sure about his surname and his exact country of origin. It was clear he wasn't an American, and it was rumored Isis knew his last name and origins. It might be a lie, though. Everything about that man was very mysterious.

The third person in the place was a 19 year old named Charles Parker. There was no mystery about him. He was just a boy Isis had picked up off the streets. One of many. He had been housed, fed and clothed. And in exchange, he was expected to work. It wasn't regular work, but it was work and it paid. A part went to him, a part went to Isis and everybody won a little something.

Right now, the kid was training for a match that wasn't even confirmed yet. Isis had been trying to get a match with one of Damian Hayward's boys. This match, regardless of result, would give her boys more visibility in the underworld they circulated. And that was what Isis wanted. Shifting her thoughts back to the boy, Isis clapped her hand. "It's all right, Charlie, hit the showers", the voice echoed on the room. The boy nodded and vaulted out of the ring, going to the showers.

Isis looked at the trainer. "Do you think we're ready?". The man thought for a moment and nodded. "I think so, the kid's tough enough". The woman nodded. "Good. I'll try to get in touch with Hayward in the morning".

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:10 pm 

I have returned

Blog: View Blog (0)

Time: 9:30 pm

It was Wednesday night, which meant no fights, practice, or business. Wednesday night was the night too clean the place up, make it look presentable for any visitors who come on Thursday. Then Friday was training night, Saturday was fight night, and Sunday football. Two days too relax, then repeat. A nice, reliable, weekly ritual, keeps the kids from wondering what would happen tomorrow, if it had been planned already. And it keeps them busy too, working all the little jobs that labor laws will allow, which mostly consists of cleaning. Of such, the whole building, from basement too attic, was covered in kids from 6 too 14 all working away like little elves cleaning one thing or another.

Sitting at a desk in his office, Damian Hayward looked over a spreadsheet of numbers. Profits, expenses, taxes, utilities, everything down too the last penny had too be accounted for. Usually he had the help of an old student, but he got promoted and his new schedule doesn't accommodate helping old friends.

As Damian sat at the desk, a knock came from the door.
"Come in." Damian said, not even looking up too glance at the door as it opened. In stepped a young man, 17 years old with light blond hair and a fresh nose cast 'thing'.
"Back from Ben's, he said hi by the way." Ken said as he stood in front of Damian's desk. Looking up slightly, Damian nodded then held out a hand. Ken obliged and plopped a fifty and change into his hand.
"More change than last time." Damian remarked, counting out the money.
"The bone was only broken in one place this time. Plus last time I also had a fractured rib."
"Right," Damian said as he place the money in a safe, "I left your cut of last weeks fight on your bed. Don't waste it all this time." Ken gave a brief nod and walked out of the room. Damian knew he wouldn't save a nickel of it, instead he'd probably waste it on some girl. Well, maybe not wasted but it would do him more good in a bank.
As Damian returned too the spread sheets a little kid ran in.
"Damian, we finished the basement. Can we go play?"
"Have one of the older kids check, then sure." As the kid skipped back down the hall, probably looking for the laziest 'adult' he could find, Damian went back too his sheets.

It was an hour later or so that he finally set down his pencil and stood up, satisfied with the numbers. Moving out into the living room of his house. There was groups of children all over the place, playing with toys, cards, or other things. The one place clear of children was Damian's oversized armchair, which he graciously settled into. With the day's work done, he could now take a restful nap. And God help whoever would dare wake him.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:25 am 

Sort of back.

Time: 10:00 pm

Isis and Yuri stayed in the ring, exchanging a few blows, while waiting for Charlie to finish his shower. Isis liked keeping her senses sharp and her body fit. One never knew, in her line of business, when they would need to use their fists to protect themselves. Isis had decided to never trust a man with her safety. Or anything else, for that matter. It was a matter of pride and also, partially, a matter of trust. Isis didn't really trust anyone other than herself. She had seen too much in life. Had seen too many women get deceived and even killed by the men they placed their trust in. And she didn't want to be the next victim. Specially now, that she was about to start business with a man she didn't know, Isis needed to be ready to defend herself. Of course, she would have Yuri by her side - the one man she came close to trusting. But couldn't hurt to be prepared to - as always - take care of herself.

When Charlie finally showed up back at the training area - dressed like any other boy would be -, Isis and Yuri interrupted their sparring session. Getting of the ring, they both tidied up around the place, making sure everything was in order for the next day. After checking if every door, window and locker were closed, all three people left the gymnasium.

The wouldn't separate yet, though. As usual, after some working out, the trio went to the only local place they could find - a small pizza place whose owner had met Isis as a kid. They had a late dinner there, and finally split up for the day.

Isis still reminded Yuri that they should meet up in the morning to be together when the phone call was placed to Damian Hayward. After all, in that universe, anything could happen. They could be shot down, and they could be called in for an instant meeting in some neutral area. It all depended on their interlocutor's mood.

After setting the time for the call at 10 am, the trio finally split for the night. The next day was full of promises, and all of them needed a good night's sleep.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:40 am 

I have returned

Date: July 16th, 2015

Time: 7:15 am

Damian woke up too the pleasant smell of bacon and eggs, sizzling a merry toon on the stove. As Damian stretched out aches and pains a plate was placed in his lap. Opening his eyes he saw one of the younger kids, Alma was probably his name, smiling at him before scampering off to get his own food.

Damian had fallen asleep in his chair last night, and naturally no one had been stupid enough to wake him. Picking the plate up from his lap he walked into the office and sat down, using a fork and knife he'd left their from dinner last night too dig in. As he ate his breakfast he picked up the planner, glancing through the schedule for today.
7:30-9:30: Morning workout.
9:45-12:45: Accept business calls.
1:00-4:00: Make additional calls as needed.
4:30-9:30: Meet clients.
Damian, sighed, stretching his back as he stood from his chair. Today was usually the longest and most stressful day of the week. A good three hours dedicated too just sitting around waiting for calls, but at least everyone knew that those were the hours he'd be available too call. No distractions, previous arrangements, or other such things. Just hope no one called ahead of you.

Damian stood and walked into the kitchen, placing his plate in the sink. Some of the younger kids had already started on the dishes, while the older ones were no where in sight. As Damian walked into the basement, all the missing teenagers greeted him from their various locations around the room, where they were stretching or exercising on some equipment they kept in a side room all other times of the day. Boys and girls ages 14-17 spread across the room, covering most available space except for a mat that was laid out in the center of the room. Damian walked over too his reserved spot, and started a series of stretches too prepare him for his grueling morning workout.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:05 pm 

Sort of back.

Date: July 16th, 2015

Time: 10:00 am

Isis woke up early as she usually did when there was work to be done. It wasn't her favorite thing to do, but she did so when needed. And Isis knew that talking to Damian Hayward wasn't easy. It was a process that required patience and time. And today, she was willing to dispose of both. Having invited Yuri to come have breakfast with her, she made sure that they had everything planned and in order before placing the call.

The boy they would offer would be Charlie, and as they didn't have a ring, they would have to use Damian's. And that meant that the largest chunk of profits would be his. 70% for Damian, 30% for Isis. It wasn't really a good deal, but these were the rules of the game. Since she didn't have a ring of her own, she would have to suck it up. The only bright side was that a good fight good bring in some really nice revenue. And that was what Isis was counting with.

One day, she would have her own ring, and accept fight invitations for her boys. But as she didn't yet, she could be picky. Beggars can't be choosers, the woman thought to herself before finally diving in. She had to wait patiently and repeat the call several times, before managing to finally get through.

A firm feminine voice would greet Damian on the other side of the line, speaking calmly. "Good morning", the voice said, politely. "Is this Mr. Damian Hayward?". After the question, the voice fell silent, waiting for confirmation - or for someone to pass the call to Damian - so she could talk about the subject that had motivated her call.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:05 am 

I have returned

Time: 10:00 am

Damian had finished at exactly 9:15, and had gotten a drink and sat down at his desk when the first call arrived at 9:28. Most of the time the calls weren't much, the first one was an student of his who was at college. The kid had just moved in, and wanted Damian too know he was ok. He also wanted some cash, darn kids.
After hanging up Damian sat for a bit, waiting for the next call. As he started considering pulling out a pack of cards to play solitaire, the phone rang again. This time it was last weeks business partner. Apparently, his share of the cut never reached him.
"Hey! Gavin!" Damian yelled. A kid, 17 and built like a gorilla.
"Yeah Damian?"
"Oscar never got his share of the cut, where'd it go?" Damian watched Gavin like a hawk, watching everything from his eyes too his feet.
"I went too his place like you said, and then his boy Ken came out and took it, said he'd give it too Oscar." Gavin said, his body language showed he was relaxed, and telling the truth. Ken was Oscar's fighter last week, he had lost the fight, he would probably be pretty sore about it. Might put him in the mood too steal from his boss, who would suspect him? Well, Damian would.
"Gavin gave it too Ken, check with him. If he doesn't have it I'll get a friend too track down the money."
"You sure Gavin didn't take the money?" Oscar said over the phone.
"Nah, he's too stupid too lie and hide it. When you find Ken, give him my regards." Damian hung up and waved Gavin away. He started opening his desk drawers for some cards when the phone rang again. Picking it up, he heard a curt, feminine voice over the phone.
"Yes this is Damian, and who do I have the pleasure of speaking too?"

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:05 pm 

Sort of back.

Time: 10:01 am

Isis sighed in relief when she finally managed to reach Damian. She had been worried about not managing to talk to him. Now, she was worried about not managing to convince him to negotiate a fight. But that would have to be at least attempted. She had a fighter, and he had a ring. And if she could nail that fight - even if her boy lost - she would have a foot at the door in their niche of the underworld. All she had to do was to relax and do her best to talk clearly.

"Good morning, Mr. Hayward. I am Isis Logan, it's a pleasure meeting you". After a pause, she continued. As nervous as the woman was, her voice was firm and polite. It was the only instrument she had to cause an impression, be it good or bad, after all. Holding Yuri's hand with her free one for moral support, Isis went on speaking. "Thank you for talking to me. I will not take much of your time, sir".

After another pause, she finally talked about what she had called for. She knew business men - and that was what Damian Hayward was, after all - didn't like wasting time. "I am in your line of work, sir. Albeit not even close to being as successful as you are". She was honest about her situation. Lying was not something she was willing to risk. Isis was sure that the man could find out everything there was to know about her with one phone call. So, she was 100% honest. "I would like to ask for the opportunity of one fight between one of my boys and one of yours. He is of legal age, and I am willing to accept any responsibility, as well as work in your terms in any aspect, including financial".

Finishing presenting her request, Isis fell silent. She could feel her heartbeat in her fingertips, while waiting for a reply. A no would probably be a devastating blow, but she was ready for whatever answer or demand the man had for her.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:08 am 

I have returned

Time: 10:02

Damian listened too this Isis women as she, quite calmly, asked to arrange a fight between their boys. No one talked that calmly too Damian except his close friends. Damian had so many connections he could end your life in at least five more ways than you could think of with one phone call. You didn't just calmly call a man like that unless you were really good at hiding your fears, or had no idea who you were calling. Damian was really curious which one Isis was.
"Well, I have a first call first serve policy when it comes too fights, and since you're the first you get it. Though, I do prefer to meet the people I work with before the fight, so how about this. There is a Chinese restaurant I know of, little hole in the wall you'll love, where we should meet. It's on 60 E Ohio Street, I'lll be there at 4:35 at a table with six chairs, three will be empty. You don't have to bring that many, but if they're hungry I'll cover the bill. Sound like a plan?" Damian waited for Isis' reply, though he really didn't need too. He could hang up there and know full well she'd be there, probably early too. But it was the polite thing to do, and would let her feel like she had some choice in the matter. Or maybe she knew that too, in which case it would be a sign of respect. Either way, she had her fight, and that probably made her day.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:58 pm 

Sort of back.

Time: 10:03

Isis waited for Damian's response, after she presented her case. She wasn't nervous or scared of the man. She knew he was powerful in their underworld. But she also knew that she hadn't do anything to get in trouble. Even their world had its rules, after all. It was a need for all of them to survive. They needed to have order and structure, lest they all ended up dead. And Isis knew that, as much as she knew she was at the bottom of the pecking order. Damian was close to the top, and she had to tread carefully. But she still wasn't afraid of him.

When the man started speaking about his policy, Isis listened carefully. While Damian spoke, he could hear, if paying attention, the soft sound of notes being taken. It seemed reasonable that he wanted to meet her before anything. And the offer for taking two other people with her worked. She would take both her trainer and her boy along. This way, he would have the full idea of the people he would be dealing with. And could make an informed decision. Isis functioned that way, knowing that even in the underworld - or maybe specially in it - you had to be honest with the people you did business with.

The idea of offering to pay a share passed her mind for a moment. But she knew their niche had a very specific etiquette, and not accepting the offer could offend Damian. So, she was gracious in accepting it. "I really appreciate the invitation", Isis replied, her voice still calm and firm. "I will be there on time, and with some company. Thank you very, very much". After thanking the man and ensuring him she would be there, Isis would wait for him to hang up first. He was the one in control there, after all.