All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:30 pm 

It's my party, and I'll cry if I want to

Owner

Location: Within the darkest recesses of your mind, plucking at your heartstrings.
Medals: 8
Dedicated Partner (1) Creative (1)
1st Year (1) 2nd Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (15)

“Maybe on friday we can find a place for me to taste some?” he offered the smile now heavily.

The conversation that continued was friendly and warm, though he knew he still had a lot to make up for. The rest of work went better, mistakes were corrected and he left feeling a bit more upbeat. The days leading to their date were also better, with texts being exchanged and even a few snap chats. When the night approached he called her while on his lunch break, “Hey, what time do you want me to pick you up tonight?”

Obviously a bit excited about the officialness of their first date.

The turn of events since their talk on that lunch hour was one for the better. They’d resumed talking as they had prior, with a few silly pictures here or there thrown in for good measure. And, even though she still held some reservation about whether or not it was a good idea, she was excited for their date.

Having just gone on lunch, she sat at her desk, waiting for her order to arrive when her phone rang. Answering it without a hesitation, she found herself soon hesitating when he asked about picking her up. Silence then descended on her end of the line, debating whether or not he should pick her up, or be near her apartment at all. It seemed to be that that sent him into a panic, so steering clear of it felt like the better alternative.

“I could meet you at the theatre around…say 5:30? Gives us plenty of time to get our tickets and get situated,” she offered, the excitement inherent in her own voice, hoping it didn’t come off as too much excitement.

“Why?” he asked in a casual manner while he nommed on a french fry, “I could pick you up and we can walk there together.”

“We could…but wouldn’t it be out of your way to walk this far, and then double back?” she asked back. Then, there was mumbling and a “thank you” as she paid for her takeout, phone still pressed to her ear while she waited for his reply.

There was logic in her words that he could not refute and so he did not even bother trying, “Alright. Fair enough.” A pause was given and he sipped off of his drink. “So then 5:30 and you can get the snacks, I'll get the tickets?”

“Sounds like a plan,” she replied to that with a smile. The conversation continued for a while longer, before having to end the call and get back to work. Some more texts here or there, and then the day was over before she knew it. Rushing home, she changed into her olive sweater finishing off with leggings and a pair of boots.

After that, she ran off to the theatre, waiting for him to appear as she paced back and forth in front of the theatre’s entrance.

Work carried on with a sense of urgency that he could not shake. When a file was late, he was on their asses to get it to him as soon as possible, if someone else made a mistake that he had to correct he was snippy and fairly mean (at least by his standards), because there was a chance it could make him late. In the end he did manage to leave on time and fairly ran home. The shower was fast, his face scrubbed, beard trimmed and care taken to make sure his hair was as perfect as he could get it. The maroon shirt he picked out was a bit on the showy side, but he hoped that it would be nice and flatter him to some degree.

From there he made a run to a shop and placed an order to be delivered later and then headed to the theater and as he expected she was there already.

“You must teleport or something,” he teased before he confidently leaned in to hug her.

There was a smile on her lips as he walked up, giving him a soft hug back. It was a hesitant sort of hug, one that was given but ended in the span of a heartbeat as she pulled back. “No, I just like being early,” came her reply with a laugh. “It’s not my fault you walk slow.”

Then, glancing behind her at the listing of movies, she looked over the showings. “Which movie was it you wanted to see?”

“I hardly walk slow,” he insisted before he looked at the movies that were listed. “I prefer comdies, so something funny I suppose. That ok with you?”

He noticed how she only let the hug last a moment, but it did not upset his mood in the least. Instead, he took the smallest of chances and tried to slip his arm about her waist, so he could hold her to him a bit while they walked.

“…You totally do walk slow…” she slipped in there in a pretend mumble while falling into step beside him. “And comedy’s fine, I suppose…”

This time, her voice faded as his arm slipped about her waist and her body became immediately aware of it. The way the muscles felt at her back, and even the way it felt to be close to him was…nice…but her mind was screaming at her that it was ‘too fast’. Yet, even though she thought to pull away, she didn’t, if only to keep from ruining the good mood he was sporting.

She’d just be more careful about it later.

“So, how was the rest of work?” Chrystal asked with a glance in his direction.

Together they walked to the ticket booth to get the tickets before he got around to answering about work, “Actually really good. I even got a bit mean with people.” At this admission he grinned a bit, as he was a bit proud of this fact. That he had not let someone push him around and get the better of him as he was wont to do from time to time. “Work seemed to just fly by today too,” he remarked after a moment with a glance in her direction. “How about you? How was work?”

A brow perked up at his admission of being mean, though she didn’t say anything. He got mean? she repeated. …He doesn’t have a mean bone in his body. Hell, he’s asked each time before giving me a kiss, so being mean probably means something like “Oh, I don’t have any more staples, sorry,” simply because he didn’t feel like stopping what he was doing to dig them out… The thought was filled with humor, but left unvoiced as she focused on his next question.

“Work was work. I got out at five, so I had to rush home and then rush here…Though, according to you, I teleported,” she answered with a grin, maneuvering them toward the snack bar. “Now…the most important question of your life: What snack do you want to go with the movie?”

The snack attendant stood there with his fake smile on his face, purposely chipper in the face of two potential customers. A smile quirked at the corners of his mouth, amber eyes perused the snacks and treats on display before the smile turned to a grin. “Besides you?” his voice cracked just a bit at the end, despite the effort he put into it. The effort to try and maintain his composure and reply as “smoothly” as possible.

A choked sound of a laugh ensued, followed by a blush as she hastily covered her face under the guise of stifling that laugh. And that blush only got deeper as the attendant’s eyes flicked between them both, the forced smile turning into one of genuine amusement. “…I…meant…an actual snack…” she managed to get out while trying to cut off the remainder of that laugh.

“In that case,” he grinned. “How about we split a large popcorn, a large soda and some bon bons?” he listed off his favorite snacks and managed to meet the eyes of attendant who continued to grin at the two of them.

Without being able to voice her agreement, she nodded, face still burning with the blush from his comment as she waited for him to get the snacks. Then paying without much else said, she took the drink and the popcorn, entrusting him with the bonbons and started walking away to get a grip.

That line had been less than expected. Even if it’d been clearly in a joking manner, the fact that there was still even the thought of it had her flush, glad that she had her hair down to at least hide some of her cheek while she regained that sudden loss of composure. When he caught up, she’d stopped the nervous laughter and her blush had mostly subsided. “So…where’d you get that line from?”

At her quick exit all he could do was smile and pick up his bon bons and follow after her. Once he was able to catch up to her, his smile was broad with true merriment and amusement in his eyes.

“I read it in a book and thought I would see how effective it is,” he took the time to look over her and take in her general condition. “I think it worked rather well,” he chuckled and then nodded toward their theater. “Shall we?”

“You think it worked, huh?” was all she said before pushing the door open with her foot and heading inside the theatre, pausing just inside the door before looking back at him. “…Where do you want to sit?” Normally, she’d stick to the back corner, liking to be surrounded by wall, rather than a sea of bodies in every direction, but she’d go wherever he was more comfortable.

“Yep. I do,” he smirked and followed her into theater. “Um...” he looked about then nodded up toward the top. “Back row, kind of in the corner. Don't really care for the whole strangers surrounding me thing,” he explained. For all his charity work and desire to help others, when he was alone he preferred to be alone. Without the pressing force of people around him and the possibility of some awkward social moment.

Thank god! “That works for me,” she replied easily meandering toward the seats and scooting all the way in. Popcorn temporarily in her seat, and cup in the holder, she pulled off her coat, hanging it over the back of her seat before settling in. “I still can’t believe you used that line…”

“Why is that?” he asked as he mimicked her actions with his own coat, though his eyes were on her form for a bit. The sweater did very well to accentuate her form and Elijah was more than aware of how well her form felt up against his own. A slight blush came to his cheeks while he sat down and, “Was the line that upsetting?” he asked with a smirk.

Glancing over as she crossed her legs out of habit, she noted the shirt, the way it hugged each and every muscle. She even began to feel a bit underdressed with the way his shirt looked compared to her sweater. …And then she noticed his smirk and a hand pushed some of her hair behind an ear for something to do. “Just…unexpected is all,” came her reply, looking at him for a brief moment before turning more toward the screen, reading the random trivia that would flip through the pre-movie reel. “About as expected as you being mean to someone at work,” she then added, with a smirk of her own. “How exactly were you mean to someone, anyway?”

“Well, some reports were late and so I called downstairs and told them they had better hurry up with my report or they would find themselves on the business end of my foot,” said with a cocky tone that was far more confident than he truly felt. “Am I really so innocent that you think I could not just say such a line?” he asked before he took one of the bon bons and popped it into his mouth.

It took all of her control not to snort at his reply. The business end of your foot…right… So, instead, she just smiled and shook her head. “Yes, actually,” Chrystal replied with a coy sort of grin. “You do seem too innocent to just say such a line…Must be the constant blushing, stammering, the cute smile you do when nervous and excited…”

“I have a cute smile, huh?” he asked, a bon bon took out and offered to her.

A roll of her eyes as she accepted the bonbon and another shake of her head. “We’ve already established your attractive points, so I don’t think you need me to rehash it…” With another grin, she took a bite of her bonbon and then added, “…This is me pleading the fifth.”

“Oh, I see.” He grinned and helped himself to some of the popcorn. “If I may, you are rather cute when you are pleading the fifth,” he whispered over to her, for the lights had dimmed and the opening credits began to roll.

Another shake of her head was given as she settled the popcorn at her side, just on her side of the armrest but well within his reach so as not to hoard it all to herself. After that, though, she was more focused on the screen, watching the opening credits and the movie unfolding. She only hoped the movie wasn’t a cheesy comedy. …If it was…whatever comments she had would come out without a second thought and she didn’t think the theatre would appreciate her colorful commentary and dramatized interpretations.

The movie started and he settled in to enjoy this, or at least understand why other people enjoyed these things so much. When a scene happened that he felt was rather scripted.

“So, is it always funny when the obviously attractive, though nerdy girl spills something on the blatantly attractive male?” he asked with confusion.

Not far into the movie, she was already holding in groans, propping her chin in her hand and resisting the urge to cover her eyes from distaste. “No…no it’s not,” she whispered back, the whisper’s tones enough to show exactly how unbearable that scene was. “It’s things like this that give people unrealistic views on what will and won’t happen, which then causes people to be disappointed that someone doesn’t laugh it off when things are ruined…”

Unable to hold it off any longer, she facepalmed and leaned back into her seat, wrinkling her nose. “If ever I do something even remotely similar…please…please…commit me.”

He laughed and smiled at her, then paused for a moment as an idea started to form. “Want to do something naughty?”

She’d just started to get back into the movie (or tried to) after he’d paused when he spoke again, her eyes slowly turning to his with a perked brow, curiosity in her eyes. “…What’d you have in mind?”

He grinned and gathered up his clothing his free hand extended to her own. “Come with me!

Her eyes widened, gathering up her things without a moment’s hesitation, taking his hand with a nod. “What are we doing??” she asked with a whisper, following his lead.

A single finger was held to his lips, then he lead her out of that theater. Out in the hall he paused, his gaze cast up and down the hall before he led her across and into another movie. This time a horror. Once in there he lead them to the same spot they had been in the last theater, a rather devilish smile stuck on his face.

“I think, or at least hope this one is better,” he smirked.

Following without another word after shushed, she felt nervous, anxious; A good anxious, but anxious. Her eyes were wide as he was glancing around, doing the same until he stealthily dragged her into another movie, a horror movie.

Settling into her seat again, her jacket was (like the last time) hung over the back of her chair, though this time it was with apprehension that she focused on the movie. “Do you know which one you picked?” she whispered, already able to tell it’d be a jumpy thriller, filled with slashing and likely gore, from the way they set the tone.

“Nope. Just saw the bloody movie poster and figured this one would be the best bet for at least some entertainment,” he answered while he dove back into the popcorn. “How do you feel about horrors?” he asked, pleased they got in the beginning of the movie at least.

“To be perfectly honest, it depends on the horror movie…Some of them, I laugh at…Others…” A pause, as she lowered in her seat a bit. “…Others, I have to peek between my fingers, hide under blankets, and then run through my apartment because I’m alone and swear something’s going to pop out from behind me in some dark corner…” Laughter, quiet, fell from her lips as she glanced in his direction. “…May be safer for you to hold the popcorn…it might get tossed, depending how scary this movie is…”

“That is the most adorable thing I have ever heard,” he said with smile and held out his hand. “Here, you can take it and hold it if you want. That way you can squeeze it if you get scared,” his voice held no mocking or tease, but a genuine offer. “I am not sure how I will handle this, so I am sure that I could use the extra comfort as well,” he added.

“That’s not even remotely ado-AH!” It was a cheap jump, but it jumped her nonetheless, her hand suddenly in his and squeezing tightly while she physically lifted a bit out of her seat. Face turning a deep red as her mind caught up with itself, she used her other hand to push her hair back behind her ear. It was then she realized how tightly she held his hand; Relinquishing her hold a bit, she slouched down in her seat more. “…Sorry…you can probably expect a lot of that.”

The squeeze was rather tight, but he barely registered the pain. Instead he just enjoyed the contact with her hand in his own. At her apology he only smiled, “No worries, I don't mind. Not at all...” he said with a tone pitched a bit low and it took him a moment to focus back on the movie and not her.

Her eyes found his for a moment, noting the change in his pitch, momentarily tuning the movie out while her entire focus turned to him. It took her a bit to get back into the movie, but she eventually did, even if not entirely focused. Subconsciously, she leaned more toward him, resting just that small fraction more onto her arm rest while keeping hold of his hand.

And, the further into the movie they got, the more she seemed to curl into herself. Each time she jumped, her grip on his hand tightened, her legs were pulled up to her chest, her other hand was covering her eyes. When suspense would build, she’d be peeking through her fingers, bracing for what she thought was coming. Some of the time, she’d be spot on; Others, she was far off and it ended up scaring her worse than she thought it would.

By the time things were getting worse for the heroins, she’d already curled into her seat, hardly stopping to uncover her eyes, the hand in hers a small help though the person it was attached to was mostly forgotten; Had she not been so into the horror film unfolding, she’d have tried to be cooler when it came to her reactions…but, the damage was done and she was completely sucked in. The popcorn even had to be placed on the far side of her seat as she tried to get a little closer instinctively, turning her face into his shoulder at one point because she couldn’t even stand to peek through her fingers anymore.

Elijah would have lied if he said he truly focused on the movie, instead he felt himself watch Chrystal from the corner of his eye. How she tensed, how she drew closer to him, the way she would squeeze his hand and then peek through her fingers. Every now and again he would find himself caught up in the suspense with her and jump when she jumped. Never had he enjoyed a movie so much before and he still had no idea what the movie was about.

When it finally ended and the lights came back up in the theater he was all smiles, with a heart that raced a mile a minute.

“Quite the thriller, huh?” he asked, hand still held her own.

Initially, when the lights came back up, she was still huddled into him, hardly paying attention to the fact that it was over. But, when he called her attention to it, and she opened her eyes again, she realized she was clinging to him, and clinging hard. Releasing hold of his hand completely, she worked at pulling on her coat, and picking up the stray pieces of popcorn that had escaped in her jumping.

“…Definitely a thriller…” Chrystal replied with a nod, cheeks red that she’d freaked as much as she had. “Better than whatever that comedy was supposed to be, even if I watched most of it through my fingers; A fact, you’ll not repeat to anybody. Ever.” Shaking her head, standing as she stretched and finished pulling on the coat completely, “How could you watch that without jumping as badly as I? You hardly flinched by comparison! And I didn’t see you once huddling unable to watch…”

He shrugged, “Don't think I really paid that much attention to the movie.” He answered honestly while he held her gaze for a bit, then stood and offered his hand to her once again. “Shall we continue on to our dinner?”

…The blush got worse then, though she couldn’t say she was surprised. Had he been the one jumping and clambering onto her shoulder, she’d likely have been more into what he was doing, and not the movie. But, the dinner was a welcomed change of pace, nodding and taking hold of his hand with a far gentler grip than she’d been using previously. “Dinner would be wonderful,” came her reply, allowing her hair to fall a bit to forward. “Where are we going?”

The simple embrace between their hands was kept and so they walked hand in hand together out of the theater. “I happened to find a nice Italian place not too far from here,” he explained. “I did a bit of research and they apparently have some of the best tiramisu in the city,” he grinned and her hand a gentle squeeze. “I mean you already said that you enjoyed the one that they delivered to you, so I am sure that we will enjoy this one as well,” voice relaxed and casual as he enjoyed the simple contact of her hand in his own hand.

His hand holding hers, squeezing hers, gave her some comfort as the movie became backburner in her thoughts. Instead, she focused on him; A welcomed change. “And then you’ll be able to try it firsthand,” she remarked with a smile over in his direction. “How far away is it? I’m still of the mind something is going to pop up and try to slaughter us on this walk…” Of course, she was joking, for the most part.

“Only a few blocks,” his hand slipped from her own to wrap about her waist and hug her a little closer. “Besides, I will make sure that at the very least they slaughter me first so that you can get away,” he joked, but gave her waist a small squeeze. “Or, you could do that teleport trick that you have and get us both to safety,” he smirked.

Suddenly, her body was more than a little aware of his hold about her waist, of the way he squeezed her to his form, of just how perfectly they seemed to fit together. Thankfully, he seemed far more into the conversation and missed the way her eyes dropped for that brief second to his torso, and then to his face, his eyes, for just the span of a heartbeat. Then her eyes were back forward. “I’ve already told you I can’t teleport, so we’d be screwed,” she replied with a laugh. “The most I could do is beat them down with my wallet…Damn me for not having an insanely heavy, stereotypical women’s purse!”

“Oh? So, you would at least help me and not run to leave me to face the danger on my own?” a light chuckle tumbled free from his lips while they continued to walk toward their destination. “How heavy is that thing? Never did lift it up or anything.”

“Mmmmm not too heavy…we’d be better off to try and break for it instead of using that as our main weapon,” she commented, only giving a look in response to his first question. “You’d probably think it weighed nothing, but it’s got…maybe…half a pound to it, with all the change accumulated.”

“Are you saying that because I work out?” the amusement twinkled in his eyes just as they turned a corner to go down a side street.

“You seem to lift me with no issue so I’d assume you’d have no issue with my wallet, either,” she replied to that, neither confirming nor denying his obvious workout routine; The muscles spoke for themselves.

He said nothing in that regard and instead just continued to walk in comfortable silence with her, his eyes on occasion being drawn to his watch. The restaurant came into view and he broke away from her to open the door for her. “After you,” he replied with the smallest of bows and a smile on his face. Once they were both inside he went to the host, “Reservation for two, under Maddox.”

A brief moment was taken as the book was consulted before he nodded and smiled, “Oh of course sir.” Menus were retrieved and he bowed slightly to them and gestured with his arm, “This way, sir.” The trip was a short one, that ended with Elijah at the back of her chair, so that he could pull it out her before she sat.

“Would you like an appetizer? While you look over the menu?” the host asked.

“Actually,” and he waved him over. Once there, they whispered softly and there was a bit of extra cash exchanged. After that Elijah checked his watch and then focused solely on her.

“So, anything you see that has caught your eye?” he asked, while he took a gander at his own menu.

She noticed him checking his watch and didn’t think much of it, thinking it was more to do with the reservation time than anything else. A small curtsy later and she was entering ahead of him, stepping to the side so he could speak to the host. Then, she followed after the gentleman, hesitating only a moment as Elijah pulled out her chair and helped her to the table.

It wasn’t until the whispering started that she got suspicious. Eyes narrowing as she sought to try and catch what was being exchanged between the two, eyeing the cash and then continuing to look at him (rather than the menu) after his attention shifted.

“…What was that?” she asked, curiosity getting the better of her while her menu went ignored. “And don’t try to say nothing; If I didn’t know you, I’d assume some weird, pre-dinner drug deal.” Her tone was a joking one, but the curiosity was genuine. “What are you trying to pull, Elijah?”

Elijah smirked and gave a slight shrug of his shoulders, “Pre-dinner drug deal, huh?” he asked. Though there was little time for her to respond as his surprise arrived, right on time.

A smartly dressed man held within is arms a bouquet of flowers, “For the lady.” Flowers were presented with a small bow and a smile before he left just as quickly he arrived. “As you can see,” he said with a purely genuine smile. “Not a drug deal, but I did not think you would want to carry them around during the movie, so I arranged to have them delivered here for when we had dinner.”

All around them, those closest to their table would have seen the exchange and many of the faces held smiles at the couple and the romantic public gesture.

“Yes,” she started to reply. “Pre-din-…” Her eyes widened as the man came up with a bouquet of beautiful flowers, words fading into nothingness as she accepted them, at a loss for words. Gaze going back and forth between the flowers and his eyes, she started to try to say thank you, but nothing came out.

Cheeks flushing, the smiles from the surrounding tables and the occasional “aww” had her feeling embarrassed; Happy, to be sure, but completely taken aback by the kind gesture. “I don’t even…this is…” Another pause as she gathered her vocational facets. “…Thank you, Elijah…Really, this is…They’re beautiful…” Her eyes found his, the blush still there though fading as a smile, genuine if a bit shy, pulled at the corners of her lips. “I…Thank you.”

All he could do was smile, “You are most welcome, Chrystal.”

His menu was picked up once again and he took some time to appraise it before he looked back to her, “Hmm...I am thinking a fresh italian salad with some lasagna. What about you?”

The blush that was on her cheeks, cause his own to heat slightly. This was an interesting side of her, this shy side that blushed and smiled. He liked it, like he liked everything else about her.

For a while after that, she kept looking at him. Not staring, but just…appreciating. The lighting in the restaurant was softer, adding to the overall romantic overtones of the moment, and adding to his already attractive demeanor. And, the moment he called attention to the menu, she shook herself out of it, reading the menu intently to try and pick something. “A salad and perhaps a small portion of manicotti,” she finally chose as she looked back at her flowers, fingers tracing over their delicate petals.

“Is the small portion so that you have room for desert?” he teased.

A laugh fell free, shaking her head. “No, it’s not for that! It’s because Italian is insanely filling, and manicotti, I wouldn’t be able to eat their normal portion. Though…the dessert is awfully tempting…Let’s just hope I still have room for it, otherwise you’ll have to enjoy it all by your lonesome.”

Their waiter came over, ready to take their order with a smile. She placed her own, and, after he placed his, he left with a small bow, going to put their order in.

“So…what shall we talk about? I’d offer to talk about the movie, but I’m not sure that’d help appetites.”

“I was only really focused on you and not the movie anyway,” he smiled. “We could exchange embarrassing childhood stories? You know to do that whole making ourselves vulnerable and of course for blackmail later,” he chuckled, eyes on her own. There was something with the current lighting that added to the way her eyes stood out. How they sparkled when she smiled and just....there were no words to how beautiful she looked. “I lost my clothes in gym once and had to walk through the school naked all the way to the office so that I could call home to get some new clothes brought to me,” he volunteered first.

The mention of childhood stories had her smile flickering for a bit, eyes dropping. But, to hold out as long as possible, she was happy to listen to his embarrassing stories. “Wait…” she leaned forward, trying to suppress a laugh. “You…walked through the school naked…to make a call for new clothes…because no one…would help you…” The snickers started as she envisioned a pasty, less-bulky Elijah trying to be modest while rushing through the halls. “I…that tops anything I could have come up with. Can’t say anyone wanted to steal my clothes…” Another laugh and she was shaking her head leaning back and settling into her chair. “What other embarrassing stories do you have, Elijah? After all…sharing is caring, and I’d love to hear all about your younger self.”

Elijah shook his head, but grinned. “Hmm....well I got stuck in a tree once when I tried to rescue a kitten,” he offered for her amusement. “Climbed up there with the intent to save it, but then...well....I kind of got scared and could not make it down myself,” he admitted with a bit of a blush.

“I knew you saved kittens from trees…” she commented while stifling the laughter behind one of her hands. “Don’t tell me it wasn’t high up, either…or I may not be able to stop laughing…Was it a single branch up? How young were you? If it was at the top of the tree, I may be able to let it slide…”

“How did you just know that, huh? Do I look like the type that just saves kittens all the time?” he asked with a smirk. “As for the height of the tree it was a good ten feet tall, so pretty damn tall, especially to a young kid. Thank you very much,” he added in a tone that was full of humor and good nature.

“Now, to be fair, you should share something from your childhood,” he said with certainty and social awkwardness that had been there earlier.

“You seem the type to go out of your way to help anyone and anything, fuzzy kittens in trees included,” she replied to that with a grin before it faltered a touch.

“I, um…I don’t really have anything to share about my childhood…” There was a pause as her eyes dropped and her brow furrowed a bit, one of her hands pushing back the hair that had fallen forward in her usual nervous tick. “Besides…” Another smile appeared as she looked back up at him, though smaller than the first had been. “I’d much rather hear about you. You look like you’ve got a few stories to tell.”

“I do, but if I tell you all of my stories, then what will we do on our next date?” Again he stated that they would be having another date, not asking her about when or if they would get together again, but essentially he took charge and made the date for the both of them.

“Oh, there will be another date?” she then asked, the comment not missed. “What makes you so sure?”

“If you want to hear my other stories, then there will be a second date. Simple as that,” he smirked at his own cleverness.

“And, if I wanted to hear them now instead?” she pressed. “If we don’t talk about that, what will we discuss? Politics? The weather? The price of tea in China?”

“What is the going rate of tea now?” he asked as if he did not hear her first question.

“You’d really deny me the pleasure of more of your stories?” she countered.

“If only so that I can wow you with them later, then yes,” another instant response in turn.

For a moment, she just stared at him, brow slightly raised but nothing more was said. “I didn’t stay at any school long enough to have a funny story…” she finally admitted, eyes intently on the candle between them. “…I moved from place to place and stayed for only a few months at any given time…I guess the closest thing I have to a funny story would be the time I ran into someone, and their tray spilled all over the front of me…” A shrug moved through her shoulders and she pushed her hair back once more. “Otherwise, I don’t have anything, really.”

Falling silent again, she just stared at the fire, willing it to die down just a touch before it went out completely, even the smoke disappearing within the blink of an eye. “So, anyway, what’s one thing you can’t live without?”

There was a sadness to her, or at least a hesitation in sharing her past with him. Why? He was not sure, but he knew better than to press the issue with her, at least tonight. No, tonight was to be a fun night, a night for redemption and a night for them both to just enjoy themselves and one another's company.

“Hmm...my contacts and by default my glasses,” a small chuckle. “I am rather blind without either of those. Same question to you.”

“I don’t have anything I can’t live without,” she replied simply. “Not in a tangible sense, anyway. I’ve always been one for a simpler, pick-up-at-any-time existence. Mentally….control. I don’t like not being in control of things, emotions…circumstance…”

“So, then I take it the whole concept to move here was not really upsetting? Is it that you don't like to or don't want to settle in one place?” he asked. Though there was a pause in the conversation as their plates arrived and Elijah was pleased with his order. When asked if he wanted more cheese he nodded and waited for the waiter to give Chrystal the same offer and then leave before he looked to her for an answer to his question.

The waiter came back with their food and it gave her a reprieve from his questions. Thanking him for the food, and declining the extra cheese, she tasted her food with a smile, focusing on it for a moment, rather than the question. It wasn’t that she didn’t want to settle…but that she didn’t trust herself to settle, to get complacent somewhere and then cause something to happen she’d later regret.

“It wasn’t upsetting, no…Moving’s my thing, apparently. If I choose to, the day that I decide to move, I’m already packed up and heading to a new place before nightfall…” A shrug ensued as she took a sip of her water. “Whether I don’t like or don’t want to, I don’t know. I never really had a reason to, I guess is how I’d describe it. Apart from my close friendship with delivery services at various restaurants, I didn’t have too many connections.” Another shrug. “That probably sounds weird…but I’m sure you’ve noticed I’m not too…open.”

“You? Not open?” he teased before he took a bite of his food and indulged in that for a bit before he looked back at to her. “It's not weird. Not everyone is supposed to be the same, because if that was the case we would all be very very boring. Right?” he chuckled and took another bite of his food, to ponder over a few thoughts before he asked her the question on his mind. “What are the chances of you sticking around here? You know for a possible long term thing?”

Another bite of her own food and it took a minute to for his next question to register. The chances of sticking around… she repeated. Depends on how my guilty conscience holds out… “I don’t know…” she started to answer, eyes dropping to her plate rather than maintaining any form of eye contact. “If I have a reason to stay…it could be a long-term thing. Only time will tell on that front.”

Falling silent for just a moment longer, she changed the subject. “How’s your dinner?”

The prolonged pause had him concerned, a knot of worry twisted up in the pit of his stomach as he worried that he had crossed some unspoken line once again between the two of them. A line that he had already crossed and nearly messed up. Then she finally spoke and he smiled, the blush came to him without notice though he did clear his voice just a bit before he answered her.

“Um, it is very good. How about yours?”

The blush was met with a smile, finally looking up at him but not pointing it out if only because it’d likely lead to her own and it wasn’t something she wanted. Instead, she nodded while replying, “Very good, thank you. You picked a wonderful place for dinner, I have to admit.” A slight pause to get a sip of her water again, and then she added, “Let’s just hope you think the tiramisu is as good as the main course.”

The heat upon his cheeks slowly faded and he was able to just smile, “Well, the reviews say and I quote “It is to die for!”, so I think we are going to be safe. At least I am anyway since you have already had a sneak peek on how it tastes.”

More time was passed in what he felt like comfortable silence while they both ate and enjoyed their meal. “Was there ever a place or a time when you felt settled and content?” he asked, eyes cast up to find her own.

The silence was welcomed, if only so she wouldn’t have to answer any other questions. It gave her time to get back into the right mindset for a date rather than evasive maneuvers in conversation etiquette. It lasted a while, but, it came to an end. She felt his eyes, but didn’t look up, instead giving what had to be the millionth shrug of that evening.

Pushing her plate back, she leaned back a bit in her chair, crossing her legs again. A finger rimmed her glass, she smiled again. “How are you even going to have room for the Tiramisu? Bonbons, popcorn, dinner…I’m not sure I’ll have any room to have any, but watching you try it may prove to be amusing.”

The question was dodged again and he just made a mental note to stop with the questions and instead focus on just the simple chit chat. A smirk showed on his face and he leaned back to lift his shirt just a bit, “I don't know....does it look like I am getting full yet?”

This time, it was her turn to blush, the sudden hint of ab overshadowing her gratefulness that he didn’t push the issue. “If that was an indication of how full we are…I’d never look full. Granted, I can’t show you my nonexistent six pack, but I’d like to think I can hold my own,” she joked back with a shake of her head. “Must be all that working out, working up an appetite.”

“You would think, but I just eat and only work out when I am bored....” he paused to mull that over. “Hmm....maybe I do work out too much....” he joked and went back to finishing his meal and then waved over the waiter. “One order of the tiramisu, we plan on sharing it,” he winked to Chrystal and the waiter left with a knowing smile on his face. “You share it with me and that way we are not both trying to stuff ourselves like pigs,” he joked.

Working out too much…no such thing… she thought with the fond memory of his abs, biceps, legs…the whole package. And, as the waiter came and gone, she shook her head, smiling. “Still not sure I’ll pull my weight on this eating thing, but we can try it. Not like you’ll be losing anything with eating a few extra bites, with all that ‘working out too much’.”

“No worries,” he said just as the waiter returned. “I will eat what you don't and guess just work extra hard to work it all off later,” he gave a wink and then handed her a fork. “Who shall have the first bite?”

“You, of course,” she replied gesturing at the Tiramisu. “It’s you who’s not yet tried this, so you get the pleasure of the first bite and telling me how it wonderful it is.” With a grin, she glanced up again, teasing. “Want me to feed it to you, or do you think you can handle it?”

Eyes on her own now, he held the gaze for a bit before he looked to her fork, his tongue slid slowly across his lips in thought before he looked back to her eyes. “You should feed it to me, you know just to make sure I don't drop some on my shirt and make a mess. Unless you want me removing my shirt again, but only in this place?”

Her brow perked up, waiting for him to respond, painfully aware of his tongue slipping across his lips. “Hmm…to have you remove it or not…” she thought aloud, grin growing, even if her mind was already screaming at her, “KEEP THE SHIRT ON!” “Guess I’ll have to feed you to make sure you don’t make a mess; I doubt they’ll look too kindly on you stripping.”

Picking up her fork, she took off a bite, and held it over to him. “Would you like choo-choo sounds with that, too? No extra charge, I promise.”

All he did was smile and sat a bit more forward in his seat, “No need.” The only words that he uttered before he took the offered piece from the fork. Eyes fluttered closed and a soft moan left his lips, before his eyes opened slowly to find her own. “Delicious,” he whispered. Now sat back in his seat he proceeded to do the same for her. A piece on his fork was held out for her to take, “Do you want some cooing sounds as well?”

Without realizing it, she’d held her breath as he took his bite, and that breath didn’t get released. If anything, another breath was taken in as he moaned, and it, too, was held. His whisper, the way he’d connected with her eyes, part of her mind wanted to hear the moans he had to offer in another situation.

And that wasn’t a good mindset for her to be in.

Her cheeks went flushed a bit as he got her a piece, nibbling on her lower lip as she focused on him intently. Breathe! her mind screamed at her. You need to breathe! Letting out the breath as quietly as she could, she offered up a small smile, and shook her head, leaning forward like he had to meet his offering. This time her own eyes fluttered closed and a moan, though quiet, did manage to escape if only because her mind was so far…elsewhere right then. Cheeks flushing a little more as her eyes opened again, lower until they rose to meet his, the smile flickering until she whispered back, “Told you so…”

Leaning back, she regarded him for a moment longer before adding, voice more to its normal volume, “New favorite dessert, perhaps?”

The way she held her breath and how she moaned ever so softly was not lost on him, but he made it a point to not comment. Instead he sat back in his seat and took another bite for himself. At her question he gave the smallest shrug, “Maybe...” A pause and his eyes looked up to find her own once again, “Perhaps if we were to share it each time together, then I could see it being a favorite dessert.”

Taking a small bite for herself, she listened to his reply. Not as though that’d be a bad set up… came an unbidden thought. “Perhaps that can be arranged. Otherwise, we’ll have to find something else to eat…Maybe that’s for the better; Wouldn’t want you to get sick of it, after all,” she replied.

And they continued, enjoying the tiramisu in silence as they had their meal, with her calling it quits about when she’d expected to, so she sat there, looking around the restaurant to keep from staring him down. “So, if we have another date sometime…what other desserts would you want to try?”

The silence was warm, comfortable even. Each ate the dessert and when she called it quits he without shame brought to plate closer to himself so that he could finish it. At the mention of another date he smiled and only managed to blush slightly, before he focused on her question instead. “Hmm, not sure honestly,” he mused for a bit while he enjoyed another piece of the dessert. “I don't have a lot of experience in this department so...I guess I would have to give in to your more refined tastes? And go with whatever you might wish to suggest to me.”

“Isn’t that a little dangerous?” she asked coyly, regarding him across the table. “Trusting the ‘tastes’ of someone you hardly know? I could be into such tastes as snake venom laced with bat guano in a white wine reduction over vanilla ice cream.”

An arched brow was the first to answer her statement, soon to be accompanied by a smirk. “I would have to say that you have some adventurous tastes there and I would hope that you at least swish a bit of mouth wash after every meal,” a small chuckle exited his mouth. “However, that aside, I do trust you to not lead me astray,” a now genuine smile played on his lips, his eyes once again on her own.

“And if I didn’t rinse after every meal?” she then added, brow quirking as a playful gleam took hold of her eyes. “For all you know, you could have kissed bat guano second-hand already.” And, at the mention of the kiss, her mind wandered and her eyes dropped, cheeks flushing.

Clearing her throat, she changed the subject. “I’m glad the tiramisu was to your satisfaction, though. Too bad you finished it already.”

“I certainly had not noticed anything when we kissed the other night, but then again we only kissed the one time so I really only have that experience to go off of,” he explained. A glance to his now empty plate and he shrugged, “I more than enjoy the conversation that has taken place since I finished. So, when would this second date be?'

“But now that the conversation’s over, the date’s coming to a natural close,” she replied. Glancing up at him when the mention of another date came up, she tilted her head. “I don’t know. May not even be a second date…” Her eyes, still holding that playful gleam looked away again. “If there were to be a second…it would depend on your schedule, I expect.”

“My schedule, huh?” he nodded and leaned forward to take his phone from his back pocket. “Let's see....tomorrow night, I have working out and eating take out....” a couple of presses on his phone's screen. “The following night I have some work with the homeless, followed by working out and then take out,” more presses on his phone. “The next night....just working out and then the night after that it is helping out with the homeless. So, I say our second date can be on any of those days as long as you wear that smile I do love to see,” he grinned, phone put away as he awaited her response.

“That’s if we have another date,” she replied again, coy grin on her lips. “What makes you think I want to go on another with you?”

“I make you smile, laugh and even relax a bit,” he paused and looked down for a moment then back up to her. “You get to tease me and get carried about the city like the important person you are,” statement made, he folded his hands before him. “So, what do you think now?”

His points were valid, met with a steady gaze as her own hands folded, finding a new home atop the table as she leaned forward. “All well and good, but I thought that was merely part of your client package. What would I have to look forward to on another date when you’re merely obligated to show me a good time? What would be any different than making me smile via text?”

“In person,” he began the blush slowly crept back into his cheeks. “I get to see the way the emotion touches your eyes, how there is a light there that shines when you are happy and amused only to darken just the slightest bit when you are having a go at me,” there he paused to look down at his hands when he continued to speak. “I suppose the second date then is mostly for my benefit. To get to see you again and enjoy your company more each and every time that we are together,” a shrug and he just managed to steal a glance in her direction before his eyes found their way back to his hands.

She’d blushed earlier that night. She’d blushed only moments before this talk even started. But the blush she now sported was deeper than that, as her own eyes dropped and her teeth became embedded in her lower lip, deep in thought. Was another date wise? He was just so…innocent, and every action or topic she discussed with him was run over several times before she did anything he may end up regretting later. After that talk in her apartment, she almost wondered if even allowing this date to happen was too fast, even with him assuring her he was fine.

“Well…we probably shouldn’t have another date too soon, I wouldn’t think,” Chrystal started. “But…perhaps…Monday? We could do something Monday night, if you’d like? What we do, I don’t know…Anything I don’t end up embarrassing myself on would be wonderful, but I’m fairly open if you are?”

The confirmation for their second date made him grin from ear to ear, “That sounds perfect.”

Then as if perfectly timed the waiter arrived to see if they needed anything else, given they had reached an end, he just requested the check. “Can I walk you home? Or would you rather teleport on your own?” he asked the tease heavy in his tone while he dug his wallet out from his pocket.

“I don’t teleport, otherwise I wouldn’t have to worry about slipping or falling in the winter time,” she replied with a laugh, buying herself time to think it over. “As for walking me home…isn’t that a bit out of the way for you? We’ll be in an endless loop of ‘here, let me walk you home’.”

"No, because I will just walk you home and then that would be the end of it," matter of fact tone while he placed his card on the check for the waiter to retrieve. "How would it be a loop?"

“Because, if you went out of your way to walk me home, I’d have to do the same for you to make sure that you’re home safe and sound,” she pointed out. “Only fair if you’re doing it for me, to do it for you.”

"That defeats the purpose of me walking you home..." he stated with a slight shake of his head. "How about we compromise? We can part halfway one another's home and then just call to let the other know we are there safe. How does that sound?"

“Defeats the purpose for you, but not for me, as it’d allow me to make sure you made it. Never know what’s lurking in the dark alleyways…And, since you’re the innocent one, I have to make sure you make it in one piece…” she replied. “But…if you’re really against me doing that, then parting half-way is the best compromise.”

"Wait wait wait...." he signed for the check, thanked the man and stood. "I'm the innocent one? How so?" he asked while he stepped around to pull out her chair for her.

As he stepped around, and pulled out her chair, she stood, shrugging her coat on before grabbing her flowers. Smelling them for a moment, eyes on his, she drew out the silence, and walked out ahead of him without so much as word said until they were outside of the establishment. “Yes, you’re the innocent one…I would have thought the reasons were obvious,” she finally replied in a thoughtful, though teasing, tone.

Tip left, his own coat shrugged and he followed after his silent date. When he caught up to her he fell in line beside, just as she felt the desire to explain herself with the innocent comment. “I still do not see what you mean by my innocence,” he protested. “I mean I was the one who had to protect you from the big bad city and such.”

“Protect me?” she repeated. “I was lost. What would the big, bad city have done to me? The worst case would have been ending up on the wrong side of town yet again and backtracking.” A glance up at him. “You need the protecting from those that’d take advantage of your good intentions, which is why I’m here, and making sure that, on your way home, you’re not swindled out of that home.”

"How exactly would that happen?" he pressed as he refused to let it go.

“Oh…I don’t know…” she started, letting out a breath while she thought over details. “Some poor girl, like me, comes up to you. Maybe she claims to have an abusive boyfriend she ran away from, she’s clinging to you with tears streaming down her face and ‘unable’ to get a clear sentence out. You offer to call someone for her, perhaps bring her to a shelter, but she panics and clings harder. You don’t want to leave her alone for the night, so you offer her money, which she gladly accepts…only to need more. Maybe, in the process of giving her that money, they ‘abuser’ comes out and attacks you, taking you for everything you’re worth. Keys, identification, cell, money or cards you had on you at the time…Granted, that’s a quick mockup, but that could go a plethora of different ways.”

For a long while he merely walked with her and said nothing, because there was nothing that could be said. She was right. Simple as that. If that scenario actually happened it would have likely gone down like that. “Ok, so maybe you should walk me home?” he finally said with an overly dramatized nervous laugh. “I swear you have some magical powers or something when it comes to living in this city and not dying!” he laughed and just continued to walk at her side.

Mentally, she stiffened at the mention of powers, though she remained the same in outward appearance. All she did was offer a laugh, and a shake of her head, for another moment, before replying, “Don’t worry, though. I promise I’ll be the utmost respectful walking you home, making sure to see you to your door and then be on my merry way! Can’t have my date dying prior, right?”

“Oh would you be ever so kind?” he asked before he took hold of her arm and rested his head on her shoulder. “My hero! Protecting little old me from the big bad world, I do declare that this must be my lucky night.” The voice and mannerisms far too dramatic than they should have been, his posture now awkward and odd, while he tried to maintain his hold on her and continue to walk.

The laughter grew louder as he grabbed a hold of her arm, nearly stumbling as they continued to walk at their awkward angles: he, holding tightly to her arm, and she…trying not to fall over laughing. “This is the part where you give me a kerchief, right?” she asked, having to slow her pace to account for the sudden mass of muscle now attached. “A kerchief and continue with your adoration for your rescuer? I think I’m alright with this development! You may continue.”

“Would the napkin I accidentally stole from the restaurant count?” he asked in a brief moment of pause.

That had her actually stopping, to look at him and perking a brow. “…How did you accidentally steal this…napkin?”

“When I tucked the napkin into my lap...it kind of got stuck in my belt....and I did not notice till I had my coat on and did not want to seem like I was....playing with myself when we left,” he managed to stammer out. “So, I kind of just kept it....”

Standing there, she tried to keep a straight face…and managed for a few solid moments. However…the idea that someone would assume him playing with himself in such an upstanding establishment, especially after the romantic gesture he made earlier that night…was ridiculous. “Why…” she started, choking on a laugh, before cutting it off again, hiding her smile behind her flowers. “…Why would anyone think…you were…playing with yourself, might I ask?”

Now a bright red he just shrugged and looked way. “I..I don't know. I mean I am a bit clumsy and people could get the wrong idea when a man is fiddling with anything beneath their coats...” his voice trailed off and he just continued to walk with her in silence.

As they came up to the area where they were to part ways, their steps slowed, and she felt slightly awkward. If only because they’d been talking about his plight with the napkin moments before, so the idea of him playing with himself in public was still…laughable. But, while they gave their awkward goodnight, she sobered up, and her breath even hitched as he leaned in, glad that he’d gone for her cheek for the kiss and not her lips otherwise she’d have stopped it.

Kiss received, and blush painting her cheeks, she told him he needed to, at least, text to tell her that he was safe and that they’d talk further tomorrow before making her slow exit. Occasionally peeking over her shoulder until he was out of sight and then making her way back to the apartment relatively quickly, glancing over her shoulder the entirety of the way; this time to make sure there was no unexpected surprise from Annelise waiting for her.

Instead…that surprise came in the form of a note. It wasn’t attached to her door, left anywhere she could have reasoned…

Instead…it was left on her pillow, noticed after she’d already laid down for the night, rolling over to find it staring her in the face.

“Not even a proper kiss goodnight? After your fight the last time, and that sweet gesture of flowers—beautiful, by the way—he should have been given at least that.

Don’t mess this up.”

The laughter at his expense left an overall feeling of happiness and contentment, at least until they came to where they would part ways for the night. Hands now in his pockets, fingers busy with the unconscious habit to count all of the keys on his key ring. “Good night,” he whispered and leaned down to kiss her on the cheek. A nod was given to her request for a text and then he turned to head on his way home. However, he felt the request lacked a certain something, so he spent the walk home taking snapchats of him with various faces of fright and despair. Until the last one which was of him in front of his door, the words “good night” again sent in the text.

That night he climbed into bed and felt that he had at least managed to repair the damage he had done to the start of their relationship. He looked forward to their next date, though he had to figure out what they would do on this one. Regardless he was happy and had not trouble with sleep that night.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:14 pm 

Owner

Medals: 14
Villain of the Month (2) Original Character (1)
Best Group RP (1) Longest RP (1)
Blog: View Blog (0)

“Mr. Maddox?”

It’d taken next to nothing to find out where he’d worked. Starting out by following the snapchats he sent Chrystal, the backgrounds, and snippets of visible work. Then, googling his name to find the place of business.

Then the excuse.

It was simple, really, and that just led to how innocent he really was, if he were so easy to find. But, that wasn’t proof, not by any means. So, this meant something more…hands-on. And, where Chrystal had been ignoring messages for a while now, it meant doing it themselves.

Gathering up her computer, she’d taken to his company, and signed in at the desk downstairs. A short elevator ride, and then it was a sea of cubicles. But which one…? she’d asked herself. Someone walking by with a bunch of papers in his hand caught her attention, and she stopped him, asking for where she could find who she sought. After that, it was really just a matter of navigating the maze of programming “cages” until she got to the right one.

So, there she stood, laptop case slung over her shoulder as she stood in front of him, a professional smile on her lips as she held her hand out. “I was told you were the one to speak to in regards to any programming feats I need accomplished?”

Two days had passed and to him it almost felt like they crawled by, sure they shared texts and even a phone call from time to time, but he missed being around her. It was obvious again at work, his attitude upbeat and pleasant, a slight tune hummed under his breath while he typed away at his computer. Systems being tweaked, code getting written and ever on his mind was Chrystal, which is likely the reason why he had not noticed the woman who stood before him right off. It was when he sat back from the screen for a bit that his mind finally took note of her voice and overall presence.

“Oh!” with a rush he lurched to his feet and in the process knocked a stack of files that had been perched near the edge. “Oh crap! I'm sorry!” he knelt and started to gather up his mess, while also respond to her initial statement. “Um...well....I am really good with computers, so then yes I would be able to perform amazing programming feats for you,” he looked up from where he knelt and gave his best smile. “What is the help you are looking for?”

Emilia hardly moved, barely breathed, hand still out held while she waited for him to notice her. …She picked a singularly-focused one, didn’t she? came a wry thought, though her outer demeanor didn’t change. Not sure if that’s a good thing…or a bad thing…

But, when he did finally did notice, it took a great deal of restraint not to facepalm. …Further proving his innocence…or, nerdom, at least… She remained poised, hand still out held for a while longer before finally dropping it as he clearly wouldn’t be shaking it any time soon. Looking at it for a moment, she shook her head and pressed on. “I’ve seen similar programs utilized by other companies, but I’ve yet to find someone who can match it satisfactorily enough for me to do what’s needed.”

A pause. “…However, I’ll wait to get into the details of it all until you’re up off the floor and back in sorts,” she added, offering her hand to him, again, this time to help him up.

He replaced the paperwork and then took her offered hand, though he held on to it a bit longer to shake it with a bit of enthusiasm. “We have like a meeting, conference room set up that we use to discuss business. Want to go in there and we can discuss the details?” he offered.

Strong grip, was the first thing she thought when she shook his hand. “The conference room would be wonderful. Lead the way, then, Mr. Maddox, as we’ve much to discuss.” Her eyes looked down at their hands, and then back up at him with a perked brow. “…If I could have my hand back?”

“Oh! Right!” he said and blushed despite himself as he released her hand. “Um, you can just call me Elijah and you are?” he asked as he led her toward the way to the conference room.

Following after him, she noted the blush. “Elijah, are you always on a first-name basis with clients?” she asked, her voice thoughtful as she spared a glance in his direction.

“I am usually on a first name basis with everyone. I feel it helps us to get to know one another faster and start to build a foundation of trust, Ms....” he asked again for her name, his hand on the door which he opened for her.

“Aarons. Emilia Aarons,” she replied, walking into the door he’d opened with an accompanying, “Thank you”. Then, putting her bag on the table, she started pulling things out, documents and her laptop with a comparative to show when they reached that point. “Now, is there anything you can’t do, programming-wise, when it comes to linking technology to each other?”

“Emilia, please,” came her easy response. “And that’s good to hear…because I need to be able to keep track of a few things that I’ve needed to replace far too many times.” She paused again while rifling through her papers. “Employees keep ‘losing’ the phones we give them, and keep trying to use the cars we provide for things other than work. I need to have everything linked to one program so that, when things go missing, I can find them. I’ve the serial numbers and such to link them if you can somehow get a program up and running for it? I’ve got lojacks on cars now, but the phones are harder….Anything you can do?”

“Well, Emilia,” he started, a seat taken beside her. “That is actually something that I can easily do. I can install a program that runs on the operating system of the phones, so they can't shut it off. Then we can just link that with the cars lojack systems to a central program I can make for you, which will alert you of the constant whereabouts of the phones and vehicles. A detailed list could be generated and sent directly to your email on a daily, weekly or even monthly basis. Just a matter of what you preferred,” he smiled, a level of enthusiasm in his voice at the prospect of working on something new. “When were you looking to get this done by?”

Listening to him talk about it was almost infectious, the excitement that his voice held for the project at hand growing on her; It was a nice change of pace from the usual associates she worked with on a daily basis. “Before we talk deadlines, I've another question: I can’t take the phones from our employees for a day, however, to link them without throwing off business as a whole. It’s money I can’t afford to lose. Is there a way to, if I produce serial numbers and such, to do it remotely?”

He thought this over for a moment then nodded, “Yes. If you could send out mass text to alert them that a system update is coming and have them all connect to some wifi for a moment that would be really easy to do. I can upload the file into an overall system update. It will shut the phones off and then reboot which will have the new program instantly activated and we would be good to go.” A broad smile at his own idea, “What kind of work does your company do?” now interested in the company he would be working for.

“Security and investigations, with a smattering of transportation thrown in,” she replied with a smile. “We provide our clients with security, intel gathering, and do so with the utmost discretion. Needless to say, when one phone goes down or turns up missing…it’s devastating.” With a nod as she wrote a few things down for her own notes, she turned her eyes back to his. “Now, how fast do you think a system like this could be put together and in working order? Money is no object, if that plays a part? I just need a system that’s reliable and won’t interfere with our daily business handlings.”

Another pause in thought, “I can get a working model up as soon as...Friday. Like a beta version that I can test with some of my own equipment and then work out any bugs.” Another pause, his eyes cast up to the ceiling, lips moved silently as he did whatever calculations he did in his head. “I should be able to have this completely up and going in about three weeks. If you need it sooner than that I could push myself with some overtime and have it done within two weeks. Does that work for you?”

“If you push it, I can pay you extra? Though, I wouldn’t want to put your personal life at risk solely because I’m asking you to work overtime to complete this project. Do you have any commitments in the next couple of weeks that take precedent?” Emilia asked next, tone curious and thoughtful.

Without hesitation he nodded his head, “Yes. But, for you I could instead of working late come in early in the morning and work, plus take some of the work home.” A smile, genuine and pure came to his lips as he thought about the commitment he had, “Besides, the extra money would allow for me to treat someone to a fun time.” The smile lingered and his eyes kept an almost dreamy quality to them, “So, do we have a deal?”

“Ooooh,” came the beginning of a reply, her eyes taking on a light of humor. “So there’s a special someone waiting for you, hmm? And, coming in early won’t leave you too tired for them? All the money in the world won’t make for a good date if the date falls asleep during,” she added before glancing down at his hand. “You’re not married…so, it’d have to be a…girlfriend? Fiancée? Boyfriend? If I may pry, of course.”

This only caused him to blush more and he just gave a shrug while he looked down. “Um...there is a woman that I just started to see. Only had a first official date, but we have a second one coming up. I plan on trying to make it as special as possible,” he looked up to meet her gaze then. “It is hard to fall asleep when you just want to be around them, you know?” another shrug more blush and then he looked back to the project at hand. “I think you will be happy with this project. I can even file paperwork to copyright the work, so that only you are able to use it without someone having to pay you first.”

Her inner monologue was far more excited than she let on outwardly. She offered him an empathetic smile, nodding as he spoke of just how much she’d gotten under his skin already. Sounds like you’ve gotten further than we were giving you credit for… Emilia thought to herself, her smile growing a touch. “It sounds like I’ll be ecstatic with this project, and I’d be extremely grateful if you could copyright this for me.” Taking hold of his hand, her own touch warmer than Chrystal’s but nothing too off from the norm to register, she shook it. “Now, I guess all we need to do is talk payment: Would you like it now? In installments? Once the project is complete, bugs worked out?”

The touch made him smile and he looked down at the hand before he looked up at her once again, “How about a deposit now and then the full payment due when the project is done?”

“Sounds perfect,” she replied with a smile, releasing his hand to take out her paycheck. “Who should I make it out to?”

“Javelin Enterprises,” he stated. “Company gets most of the money, I just get to have a nice commission. And the deposit to start is 5k, with the balance to be paid up at the end another 5k,” he further explained. “So, Emilia, where did you hear about me?” he asked now somewhat curious which of his clients had recommended him to her.

“That is a story for another time,” she replied with a glance at her phone. “I’m actually running a bit behind schedule and need to meet with a client.” Finished filling out the check, she handed it over and got up from her seat, gathering her things. “If you need anything more, or have any questions about specifics, or even just to give an update, please don’t hesitate to call.” A card was left on the table with a smile. “I’ll show myself out.”

And with that, she was gone, running back to discuss with her “clients” exactly what she’d found.

The card was tucked into a pocket, the check taken to accounting and then he was back to his desk and work. Not without a quick message to Chrystal first of course.

* So, I just got a new client. *

Her day had been going by steadily; Sunday’s were generally slower for her, so she would lackadaisically put things away, making sure to take her time lest she run out of things to entertain herself. Inputting a few new books into the system, and calling back a few agents to confirm author signings were the last on her agenda when she’d gotten the text from Elijah. As per her growing usual, her phone was kept within eye’s view so she could see when a new message came through, and picked up the moment something from him was received. A smile pulled at her lips as she read the message, replying in kind a few moments later.

*That’s great news! What is the project?*

He smiled as he typed out a response, * Building some software for a client so that they can track their employees and make sure they are not misusing company products and time *

*Sounds like an important project! Does this mean your schedule will be changing and you’ll have actual…GASP!...Work to tend to?* she sent back, laughing a bit under her breath.

He rolled his eyes but grinned, * It means that I get a nice commission. Not like what I ever do is actual work anyway, you know, unlike that grueling career that you have. * He teased back.

*Hey, have you ever tried to get in the way of a desperate house-wife and her self-help book? It’s grueling and life-threatening* she replied back with a roll of her eyes. *But, since you have this big commission now, I can leave you be so you can get to work if you’d like? We all know how you lack focus when talking to me…*

* Well, when you talk to the person who makes you smile and think about interesting conversations and fine Italian cuisine, concentration is hard indeed. *

There was a blush that painted across her cheeks as she read the message, her smile turning shy as she lingered on the message a bit longer than needed, nibbling on her lip. *If I didn’t know any better, I’d say someone took over your body and sent that smooth text.* A pause before she sent the next message. * I’ll leave you be to focus; I wouldn’t want to be the cause of your loss of commission. Text me when you’re off work?*

* If you insist and most definitely. I was thinking of buying one of those television things and wanted the opinion of a professional. :P *

*GASP! You’re joining the world of the television watchers, too?! WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH ELIJAH?!*

* LOL! Well I thought we could do like a movie night or something at my place. So, I would need one of those things....right? *

*A movie night, huh? That -would- require some sort of device to watch it on, unless we’re going to watch it on our phones* she sent back, though her mind was already thinking on whether a movie night would be a good idea. He’d had a mini-freak out when they were at her house…not under date pretenses. Apartments should be off limits for a while yet, right? To keep him from feeling uncomfortable, and to keep her from making him feel uncomfortable.

* My phone is not big enough to fully appreciate a movie or something * he paused for a moment in a text. * Mostly I just wanted your expert opinion, you know for when we do a movie night thing. Which probably won't be for a while as I have to like super clean my apartment....lol That could take months! *

*Oh god, don’t tell me you’re a hoarder now, too? lol* she sent back. *A computer nerd who hoards…what do you have to clean up? Your comics? Computer programming books?*

* Har har. You so funny :P * He sent before he continued. * More that there are like towers of books around*

*Then I guess it’s a good thing you’ve got a few months, huh?* she sent with another laugh. *…I’ll leave you to it, otherwise this conversation will never get work done. Text me later.* And with that, she left her phone on her desk, finishing up the last few things she had to before the end of her work day.

Work went by in a flash, but he stayed a bit later to get started on his new project. When he left he called Chrystal and they talked as he walked home from work, arrangements being made for their date the following night. Arriving early to work he focused on the new project as much as he could, but it was hard. Though there had been arrangements made, they mostly centered around something she had planned and he was left mostly in the dark. All he knew was that he had to be at the place the parted the previous night and then she would take it from there.

Filing, checking, double checking, coding and continual typing at the keys until at last it was time for him to clock out, head home to change before he went to meet her at 7:30 sharp.

That night had gone by relatively slow, doing what she normally did: ignoring text messages from Annelise. The only difference was that she now checked for notes, double checked locks, and tried to focus on the coming day ahead.

She wasn’t sure how the date would go over, unsure how he’d react as the date wasn’t…conventional. But, based on what she knew about him, she thought it’d be well received. Hoped, at least, that it’d be well received. At work, she made sure the last minute arrangements were figured, locking up after they closed at seven, and headed for her apartment. Only a brief stop at her apartment to change, and then she was at their designated meeting place, checking her phone occasionally, despite being early.

When he arrived, she smiled, greeting him with a small hug. “I see you found it here, alright, even if you’re slow…as per usual,” she teased. “How was the rest of work?”

“Soon as you teach me how to teleport,” he began while they embraced. “Then I promise I won't ever be slow,” he smiled as they stood close to one another. “It was not too bad. The new project has me busy, so I am not bored out of my mind between our conversations,” the smile shifted to a grin. “How about you? How was the rest of work for you?”

“It was fine,” she replied with a smile, taking hold of his hand to start leading the way to their date. “Boring, tedious, the highlight being our conversations when you were lost to the world of zeros and ones.” There was a pause as she glanced up at him. “I probably should have asked beforehand, but…you don’t have any allergies I should be aware of, do you?”

The feel of her hand as it slipped into his made him smile all the more, his mind mostly lost to the simple gesture to the point where he was a bit slow to respond. “Hmm? Oh...um...no. I am surprisingly not allergic to anything,” answer given without a thought. Then a few steps later, “Why?”

The pause had her worried, wondering if he had some allergy she’d have an issue with later. But, when he finally replied, a breath of relief tumbled free. “Because, thus far you’ve had the ability to order your food when we’ve hung out. This time, I took the liberty of handling the food, but didn’t think to ask beforehand…would have been a bit embarrassing had you bit into something and then blown up like a balloon.”

“No, you are perfectly fine. I am not allergic to anything and now,” he gave her a slight nudge of his shoulder. “You have me very curious as to what we are doing this evening...”

“Well, you’ll find out shortly…” Steps halting, she moved in front of him, brow perked up, a playful smile on her lips. “But this is as far as you get with your vision…” Producing a blindfold from her back pocket she held it up. “Do you trust me?”

“Of course,” he surprised himself with how easily and freely he responded.

“Good! Then, hold still…” Stepping behind him, tying the blindfold about his eyes, careful not to make it too tight, she moved back around to the front, leaning in to try and see if she could see his eyes. “Now…can you see anything?”

"Nope," though his voice spoke with confidence he could not help the nervous energy that pulsed through his veins right now.

Her hand took hold of his again, leading the way at a slow and steady pace. Though not another word was said initially, she was constantly aware of him, of how close he was, of his nervous energy, coupled with her own. Would he like this idea? What if he didn’t like it? What if this was way off base? Panic started to set in the longer she thought about it, so she forced her mind to go blank.

Quietly, she pulled open a door to an establishment, making sure he was mindful of the step. Then, she led him down a flight of stairs—slowly, of course—and into another room, settling him into a seat and taking off the blindfold. “I hope this wasn’t a stupid idea…” came her voice with a nervous laugh.

They were in her bookstore, in the basement, a room not many people got to go to. The lighting was soft due to the fragile pages and book bindings surrounding them, a table in the center with their dinner, a complete Chinese menu, down to a dessert to finish it off. And, on a table off to the side was a first edition copy of “Don Quixote”. “I remember you’d said it was your favorite, so when it came in…I thought you’d like a viewing? You’ll have to wear gloves, of course, but…” Another shrug. “And, I got us Chinese, but figured it was a safe enough bet…and where you like books, I thought you might like to review the rest of our current stock? Um...” Her words tapered off. “…So…what do you think?”

The walk filled him with excitement, each step he thought that he might lose his composure. The sound of a door greeted him, along with the distinct scent of paper. Still confused and conflicted about where she took him, he licked his lips slowly as they were suddenly dry. Another door was opened and he was guided down this time a flight of stairs. Though the blindfold covered his eyes he could feel change in the air, the slight change in temperate and the smell of dry well kept air. With the hint of something that made his stomach growl just a bit.

At last he was seated, his hands practically itched with the desire to remove his blindfold and yet somehow he managed to keep himself under control.

When at last she removed the blindfold, he could not even begin to take it all in. The food alone would have been more than enough for him, but then the fact that she remembered his favorite book and let him down to see a first edition copy of it. On top of that there were other rare books here as well for him to read and enjoy. Such thought and care to be taken on account of him, no one had done that for him not since his....mother.

“Chrystal....I...” his voice cracked with emotion. “I ….don't know what to say...” he stammered, gaze now on her own. “This is just....perfect. Thank you so much,” words finally made their way out of his mouth in a mostly coherent sentence. On impulse he pushed up from his chair and embraced her in a warm hug that lingered for a bit.

His voice cracking, though an indicator of a good emotion, had her worried that he didn’t like what she’d done. Her breath hitched, her heart skipped several beats, as he looked up at her, as he held that eye contact. And, until he said it was perfect, she was sure that she’d overstepped some unseen boundary, that it had too many ties to his mother, or grandmother, or that he’d think that this date wasn’t what he had in mind and wouldn’t like it.

But…the moment he thanked her, a genuine smile of relief took hold of her lips, only to disappear at the shock of his sudden movement to her. The hug was welcomed, though she tensed for a moment, melting into it and hugging him back, head naturally falling onto his shoulder while it continued. Sadly, though, like all good things, this came to a natural end, pulling back and moving to her own seat. Sliding her coat off and putting it over the chair, she grabbed up a pair of gloves.

“For you,” she said with a smile. “I’m just…glad you like it. I was worried…”

“Worried?” he asked genuinely confused while he took the offered gloves and slipped them onto his hands. “This is beyond perfect, I mean you cared enough to remember me and what I like. To put this all together for me....I really cannot even begin to express how much this all means to me,” he practically gushed with gratitude.

He looked at the book as it rested on the table, slowly he reached for it but then hesitated and drew his hands back. “Just so....excited. Want to make sure I don't get over zealous and rip the pages,” he explained with a nervous grin. A deep breath was taken and he slowly opened the over, it was like a dream to him. “Is this for display?” he asked while he looked over page after page. “Or, is it possible to purchase it?”

Watching him looking over the book with such care had her own excitement piqued. It was like when she was a child and her parents would give her a present. That initial moment, she was so careful, so excited and afraid of ruining it, it’d take the shock of the gift wearing off before she felt she could use the gift properly.

“It’s for display mainly…” she started to answer, looking at the book from the other side of the table with him. “There is a price for it, but it’s expensive…Given the rarity of the book, the owner isn’t actively looking to sell, but I could look into it, and see if the price is merely a deterrent, or if they’d be willing to discuss it further?”

“I understand, if it was mine I would not sell it or trade it for anything in the world,” he said eyes practically glued to the page. “Well...not anything, but those would have to be rather distressing circumstances.” Page after page he took time and care with each of them, his eyes drank in the words, his mind committed to memory the feel of the pages in hands. Everything about this moment he wanted to remember for the rest of his life. “Have you read this yet?”

Moving away from him so that he could have a look without having her essentially over his shoulder, she started looking through the other book bindings they had for something to do. “I’ve looked through portions of it, though it was brief while authenticating that it was the book upon receiving it. Otherwise, no. I can’t say I’ve read it,” she replied over her shoulder, taking “Sense and Sensibility” from the display case to look over.

“I think I still wish I was the character in this book,” he whispered. “This brave knight who charges into battle to save the day....” his voice filled with want and desire. “Was never the bravest as a child, but I would read this and even though the character was rather...eccentric, I still saw him as a true hero,” his voice trailed off while he continued to look over the book.

“You’re far braver than any character in a book,” she replied to that after his voice went quiet. “You’ve lived through a tragedy not many can say, and at a young age. You took that and turned it into something positive, and you continue to help those that are less fortunate, whether it be that they’re lacking a home…or a sense of direction.” A small smile pulled at her lips. “I think Don Quixote would be lucky to be you.”

There were no words, at least not right away. Instead he just stared at the pages for a bit, before he looked to her, unshed tears just there in the edges of his eyes. “Thank you,” he noted the book in her hand. “What do you have there?”

She hadn’t expected such an emotional response, the tears on the brink of falling free causing her own to well up. Thankful for the subject change, she held it out for him to look at. “A first edition of ‘Sense and Sensibility’,” Chrystal replied with another smile, though smaller. “One of my favorite authors.”

“What is it about that book that speaks to you?” he asked, now turned away from the book that had his attention. It was now on her as it often was during the day.

“I don’t know if I can pinpoint it, really…” she started to answer. “I’ve always been enthralled with that time period…but to see people interacting…and the idea of such a romantic love like that? As…corny as that is, I used to dream of someone loving me that completely. Granted, he left her because money meant more, but, for a time…you could see she was all he thought of, dreamt of. I don’t know…guess I’m a sucker for that sort of thing, if done properly…” A blush crept into her cheeks. “Not as adventurous as Quixote over there, but it was enough for me. Still is.”

“Two hopeless romantics,” he whispered and smiled. “To have someone who loves us without hesitation, pause or regret. Love completely, bravely and truly,” his voice trailed off near the end, eyes unfocused on some perfect world. The smile crept back up onto his lips and he sighed, “Love is always an adventure full of danger, daring and excitement. Part of what makes love so interesting and desirable,” he looked to her now and his smile grew. “You never know what lies ahead, but you are always eager to take that next step.”

Random, reflective thoughts he suddenly shared and he did not feel anything but ease. It actually felt good to share this with her, to get this off of his chest and just express himself without care or worry.

Exactly… came a silent thought as he continued on with his reflection of love. It was how she felt about it, but nothing she’d ever voice aloud. Love wasn’t something she could have, not without danger to the other person. But the idea of love, of what it’d feel like and could be, was one she’d always envied for other people. To find that one person you want to spend the rest of your life with, who loves you unconditionally, and will always be there for you, with you…

It was that one thing she’d given up on, while secretly wishing it could happen.

“And I want that for you,” Chrystal replied quietly, a small smile on her lips as her own eyes took on a faraway sort of look. “You worry of being alone, but I know that, just with those words, you’ll have that one person. Any girl would be crazy not to want someone who views love in such a way.”

And then her mind caught up with her words and she shook her head to clear it, holding the book out to him. “Would you like to look at it?”

That made him blush and he shrugged, “You deserve that too.” Voice soft but insistent, “I want you to be happy too. To have someone to fulfill that need and desire, because that is something that everyone should have. Any man would be foolish to not want a woman who felt that way about love.”

There was more that he knew he could have said, more that he wanted to say, but knew that would have been too much. Too soon and could have ruined what small chance they had to be...whatever it was they were to be.

As the silence settled into the room, he looked from her to the food on the table. “How about we eat before it gets too cold and then we can geek out more on the books?” the offer given with a relaxed and friendly smile.

Without thinking about it, she started to shake her head, and had to stop herself. He didn’t know why she couldn’t have that, why she couldn’t deserve that. And she didn’t say that no man would ever know how she felt about love and what she wanted because it couldn’t happen. He’d be the only one to know of it, and he had to…

She refused to finish the thought, instead nodding to his suggestion. “I hope you like something here…Ordered damn near the entire menu to be safe. The only thing I didn’t order a lot of was dessert, so we’ll have the one thing to try, both you and I for the first time, and then we can go back to geeking out. And, I have water for us as per usual, but I also did splurge on a bottle of wine if you wanted to have any.” Moving to his chair, she pulled it out. “After you,” Chrystal instructed, with a sweeping bow.

With a smile and a courtesy, Elijah made his way over to the chair and sat down as lady like as possible. “Oh my, Chrystal. So much fuss for little ol' me? I do declare you are trying to have your way with me. Wine, food and only the two of us alone down here. What would your husband think?” the southern accent was decent at best. The coy smile better than most women could pull off.

It took everything in her not to burst out laughing at his charade. But, she barely managed to hold it in, pushing his chair in as he sat and hastening to her own seat. “My husband?” she repeated, trying her hand at a southern accent, though this one had a roguish flair. “My dear…I can’t be tied down by one man…That’s where the wine comes in! Makes it easier to wine and dine you without fuss.” Then with a wink, she took the bottle of wine, and the cork opener, trying to work it in to pull it out. “Now…would you like a glass of it with little ol’ me? Or are you going to behave?”

Managing to blush something fierce, “I think I might be a little naughty with you...” he fanned himself with his hand and tossed his nonexistent hair.

After a moment of struggling, and a few loosed laughs at his hair toss, fanning, and blush, she had to admit defeat. “If you want to be naughty…you may have to open this bottle for us…using your big, strong, manly muscles and such…” she instructed, letting her eyes wander over him before looking back up at his with a grin. “Pretty please?”

He reached for the bottle, his hand lingered atop her own for but a moment. “It would be my pleasure,” he grinned back, both hand bottle withdrawn to his side of the table. There was only a bit of grunting, the material of his shirt which had already been tailored to fit, stretched a bit more across the muscles of his chest and arms while he worked on cork. A satisfactory pop filled the room and he stood to pour some wine into her glass and then his own.

“How about a toast?” he asked, glass held lightly by the stem.

“No...the pleasure is definitely all mine…” she replied quietly, admiring the way his shirt almost seemed to struggle to keep his muscles contained. And, when it popped, she was almost sad that he didn’t have to struggle with it anymore, watching him poor it and falling silent for just a moment as she took hold of her glass and swirled it. “And what should we toast to?”

A pause while she thought it over. “What about…to whatever the future holds?”

“I think that is a perfect toast,” he raised his glass and repeated her words with a slight change. “To whatever our futures hold,” he smiled, eyes on her own as he waited for her to touch glasses with his own.

She noticed the change in wording, her brow quirking up a bit but the smile remaining. Her glass touched against his before she pulled it back to her lips and took a small sip, its base finding its way back to the table’s surface. “Now…what would you like to start with? I’m not sure what your delicate, southern manly-belle physique can and can’t handle.”

The sip of wine was sweet and strange at the same time, his first of such a drink and one that he was glad to have shared with her. A look at the spread laid out before them and he smiled, “My my my, I do have to watch my figure, you know.” His arms flexed to add emphasis to his words, “But, I think these ribs are calling to me.”

With that he reached over the table and snatched up the container with a small growl of enthusiasm, then proceeded to plate himself some rice as well.

His arm flexing was a distraction, to say the least, as her eyes wandered to it and remained on it. Then, for dramatic effect, “Hmm, what?” as though she’d been too distracted to hear what he said. “Oh, in that case, have at it. I’m sure your delicate figure can handle that, at least.”

Taking some of the lo mein for herself, she broke apart her chop sticks and took a bite, giving a happy moan of appreciation. Glancing over in his direction, she held the container out to him. “Want some?”

A nod is all he gave, while he had some of the lo mein served onto his dish. “You should have some of the ribs,” he suggested with a nudge of the container toward her as he took another sip of the wine.

“I may pick at them eventually,” she replied with a smile before taking a few pieces of Tsao’s chicken onto her plate. “So…should I leave you and your Chinese alone? You seem to be…really into it over there…along with that wine…” Her tone was, of course, teasing as she glanced over at him before taking another sip of her own wine. “I mean, if you need some alone time, I could always lock you in here alone for a while.”

He nearly choked at the comments, face now a bright red. “No...no. I just...was hungry and I...well..have not had wine before....” he admitted and averted his gaze.

His face turning bright red had her smile growing all the more, a hand covering her mouth while holding in a laugh. “You’ve never had wine…not once?” she asked, focusing on the surprise of that comment over his initial reaction.

"No...not once...." he admitted and felt his face heat all the more.

Something about how he reacted made her instantly think of a puppy…which had her guilt flaring, while simultaneously wanting to pinch his cheeks all the same. “In that case…what do you think?” she asked, curiosity getting the better of her.

This time he took another sip, a bit deeper one this time. "Not bad. Pretty good actually," he said with a grin like a child having a piece of candy for the first time.

“…God, you really are adorable…” she mumbled beneath her breath with a quiet laugh before going back to her food, lapsing into amiable silence once more. True to her word, she took a few pieces of spare rib, nibbling on it along with her fried rice. Then, out of the blue as she topped off his glass, she nodded her head toward the dessert. “Make sure to save room for that, hmm?”

“Why Ms. Chrystal...are you trying to get me drunk?” he asked before he took another sip of the wine.

“Mayhaps…” she replied in coy fashion, taking yet another sip. “Why? Is it working?”

“Perhaps...” another sip taken. “But the question is...what do you plan to do with me once you get me there?”

“Hmmm…draw on you with permanent marker and try to lug your drunken deadweight up the stairs to your apartment door?”

“Will you be undressing me as well?” he asked and took another sip. “As an extra note, I am wearing batman today.” This was accompanied by a wink and a grin, the effects of the wine showing just a bit.

This time, it was her turn to blush, moving the wine bottle away from him pre-emptively. “I think that’ll be your…last glass…” she replied quietly with a laugh. “Just…focus on eating for me, huh?”

“What do I get for doing that for you?” he asked with a grin though another bite of food was taken.

A roll of her eyes, and a shake of her head was given, a low laugh beneath her breath. “You get the knowledge that you won’t be doing anything you’ll regret…and won’t become intoxicated to the point of vomiting on your date while she lugs your slightly inebriated ass up to wherever your apartment is.” All said in good humor, of course, the image of trying to carry all of that at deadweight had her really hoping it didn’t come to that, as…nice as it’d be to feel his muscles with a reason attached.

“I suppose that is a good enough reason. I am fairly heavy and while I think you are fully capable of lugging me up the stairs, I would rather your first trip to my apartment be on better terms,” more bites of food taken before he set his plate aside and pulled the dessert between the two of them. “Ready for dessert?”

If we make it that far, came a thought. The last thing I need is to have a repeat of that conversation…but in your apartment the next go around. Pushing her own plate aside, she nodded. “Now, I’m not sure how this will taste…it’s different than anything I’ve had prior, but it looks…good? I think?” It’s supposed to be a jelly…thing. Common for dessert, from what they told me? So…have at it?”

With his spoon he carved himself a piece, the small gelatinous serving wiggled and wobbled which made him grin something fierce. A final look was given in her direction before his eyes fluttered shut and he braved the first taste. There he sat, eyes closed as he allowed the flavors to play across his taste buds before he finally opened his eyes and nodded. “Well that was surprisingly delicious and sweet,” a cheerful note in his voice, already in the process to carve out another portion though this time it was for her. “Here, taste it.” Eyes on her own, the spoon held out for her just as he had on their first date.

For the duration of his tasting, she waited for his reaction, unsure of how she’d like it, or if she’d like it. His face was hard to read initially, everything going placid while he seemed to make up his mind. But, when he expressed his like of it, she let out a sigh of relief, thankful she’d not picked the wrong thing.

…And then it came time to taste it herself, eyeing the spoon that he held out for her, not even making eye contact while she tried to pluck up the courage to taste it. Here goes nothing… came a final thought before biting the bullet and tasting it, her own eyes closing while she tried to figure out her thoughts. Surprisingly, as he’d said, it was sweet. The texture felt off to her, but it wasn’t bad.

Just something she wouldn’t eat a lot of.

“That’s…actually not bad,” she replied with a smile. “I’ll admit I didn’t know what it was when I ordered it, but that’s not a bad dessert in the slightest. Still think I prefer the tiramisu, though.”

He gave a nod, “I agree. But, this is still good.” He ate a few more bites, before he set the spoon down and boldly reached for her hand, probably thanks to the slight buzz sensation he felt he was a bit more relaxed than he normally would have been. “This evening has been amazing, I feel like I should thank you for some reason, because I don't think I ever deserve so much fuss...”

She only ate a couple more bites, unable to handle the texture much longer so she finished before he did. And after, she sipped off of her wine, hand resting on the table. Much to her own surprise…she didn’t move her hand away when he reached for hers, eyes dropping to them together momentarily.

A soft laugh tumbled free as her eyes reconnected with his. “It’s a date, Elijah…there needs to be no thanking as it’s not only you that got enjoyment out of it. Whatever fuss you’re perceiving was merely me remembering the book you like, and that you don’t mind Chinese…I’m just happy you had…are having…a good time.”

“I am having an amazing time!” he practically exclaimed. “I've not been on many dates, so forgive me if I am just a little...well me,” he laughed. “Still thank you for this evening. I could not have asked for more...well that is not true, but the night is not over yet....” a small grin on his face.

She was a bit taken aback by his exclamation and emphatic response, eyes widening and almost leaning away. But, what she honed in on most was his last statement, brows pulling together in confused curiosity. “What else could you ask for?” Chrys asked, unable to leave it alone.

Cheeks a bright red he withdrew his hand and merely smiled, “Do not worry about it. It is just an impulse and desire that I have noticed I have when we are together.” A slight shrug in his shoulders, “Want me to read some from the book to you? I have been told I have a rather soothing voice.”

“Oh no, you’re not getting off that easily,” she replied to that, shaking her head. “You can’t just say something like that and then tell me not to worry about it when I ask about it. You can read to me after you answer my question.”

A sigh, though the smile remained. “What does the hero ever want from the fair maiden?” he paused, to watch her mull it over for a bit then gave the answer. “A kiss,” the words spoken soft and hopeful. The words of a hopeless romantic, who worried that he had no right to ask for such a token due to his previous behavior.

This time it was her turn to blush and look away. She should have known before asking, but she’d honestly thought it’d be something else, that it’d be something she’d forgotten. Given her current mindset on actions and wants, she hadn’t actually considered that option.

And now she was trying to figure out how to answer. She couldn’t avoid the topic without making him feel awkward about it, if not bad about it, but then she didn’t want to say no…she wanted a kiss. Was it a good idea? Probably not, not with their history on the subject…So she went for a different answer.

“We’ll have to see how the night unfolds,” was the answer she gave, glancing up at him with hesitant eyes, eyes that had something lurking behind them; A glimmer of want she was currently ignoring.

“So, why don’t we see how soothing that voice is?” she asked then. “Read to me?”

“As you wish,” he replied.

Table cleared away, he made sure his hands were nice and clean before the gloves were placed back on. After that it was just a night spent with his voice, clear and smooth filled the room. The more he read and the more he got into the story it reflected in his voice. From the inflection, the energy and the passion that went into each and every word. It was not long before he lost himself to his favorite story and what he had meant to be but a few pages turned into nearly half of the book.

“Sorry about that...” he said somewhat embarrassed that he allowed himself to get so caught up. “Hope I did not lose you somewhere in all of that?” voice nervous and unsure.

Once the table was cleared away and everything else was sorted, she settled into her chair, sipping on her wine and allowing herself to become immersed in the story. And, as the time ticked by, she didn’t notice the length for which he read, but how he read. It was as though he were living the story, the way he read it out to her. She found herself truly invested in the happenings within the story, and she was almost saddened when he stopped, blinking as she came back to reality.

Glancing at the clock, she shook her head. “No, you didn’t lose me; I was thoroughly enjoying myself,” she replied with a smile. “The question now remains…do you want to continue? Or would you like me to walk you home? I’m not sure what time you have to be up, but with all the actual work you now have to do, I wouldn’t want to keep you up too late…”

“Think we could do this again? Perhaps tomorrow night?” he asked while he removed the set of gloves to return to her.

“Maybe,” she replied to that, accepting the gloves once he’d removed them. “I’ll have to make sure there are no book clubs scheduled to meet, but if not, that could possibly be arranged.” A smile accompanied the words while she started packing everything up and returning the room to its proper order.

“Now…how much of this do you want to take home? Because…I can’t eat all of this before it’ll go bad.”

“We could split it,” already in the process of dividing it all while he helped her strengthen up the room. “I am sure both of our fridges have more than enough space to accommodate this take out.”

“Sounds fine to me,” came her next reply as she bagged up all of the takeout and slid his bag over to him. Then, pulling on her coat, she got her own bag situated. “Think you can manage your way upstairs and out of the store without the blindfold? I mean…I could always lead you again, but I figured your delicate sensibilities couldn’t handle that a second time.”

His jacket was shrugged on as well, a last look given to the book, then his own bag was taken in hand. “I don't know...” he started up the stairs behind her. “You were just trying to have your way with me...who’s to say this is not some elaborate trap to get me up into a false sense of security to make it easier on you later?”

“Ah, yes, I’m trying to have my way with you,” she repeated, the grin evident in her voice before turning around to look at him. “Are you saying me, little ol’ me…could make you do anything you didn’t want to do? Are all those muscles just for show then?”

“There really is only one way to find out, isn't there?” he shot back without batting an eye. Perhaps he had just a bit too much to drink tonight, but at the moment he enjoyed the sudden burst of confidence he had.

A laugh was loosed as she shook her head and continued on with leading him out of her store. “That would be the wine talking,” was all she said before opening the door for him to pass through, following suit and locking it behind them. “Now…which way is home? I have to make sure your drunken self makes it home alright.”

“Is that the real reason?” he asked though said nothing more about that instead he gestured and began to walk. They walked in silence together for some time before he broached something that had been there on the edge of his mind for most of the night. “So, I have a question...” he waited until he had her attention. “How many dates does it take before you can consider yourself officially dating someone?”

Of course, that’s the reason, you innocent drunken puppy dog, she thought with an inward smirk, though she didn’t reply outwardly. Instead, she wandered alongside him in silence for a while, merely taking in the surroundings and noting how to get back without issue, until he spoke. Once he did, she glanced over in his direction with a “hmm”. The question threw her, her face turning a bit red as she looked away and focused on the walk. “Um…honestly, I don’t really have a set number? I can’t say I’ve been on a lot of dates to warrant a set number; Really just go by feel…Why? Do you have a number you’re thinking?”

“I like even numbers and well,” he looked over at her and smiled. “If you can make it to at least four dates that has to mean something, no?” he asked then gave a shrug. “I honestly don't know, but at work today the client asked me if I had someone special in my life and I well...I said I was seeing you, but that it was still new so we did not have anything official yet,” he somehow managed to explain without the need to look away.

The blush deepened as she continued to look forward rather than in his direction, a hand reaching up to brush hair away from her face, and linger as long as possible to block the blush from view. Must be the alcohol, she thought, slightly taken aback by his sudden earnest reply. “But then, what qualifies as a date? That would…make it difficult to determine, if one thought something didn’t qualify while the other thought it did.”

"Good point," he said and then paused in thought. "Would you consider the lunch we shared a date?"

A shrug. “I don’t know…I hadn’t thought about it, to be honest. Would you?” she asked instead, interested to see his take.

"I would yes," he began. "We met, we shared a meal, we laughed and then we parted ways. Seemed like a date to me."

“By that definition, coming over to my apartment and having takeout would also be a date…and so would the ice skating because you had breakfast with me the next morning,” she replied to that.

"Then, by that math, we are dating and are actually two dates into an official relationship," voice soft though edge in a bit of excitement.

She glanced down, steps slowing a touch as she glanced over in his direction for the first time in a while. “Well…Do you consider them dates, or do you consider them just hanging out?”

"I would say...dates..." his own steps slowed to match her own before he stopped entirely. "Chrystal, would you be my girlfriend?"

She’d continued on when he stopped, only to stop as he asked her what’d been on his mind, or seemed to have been on his mind given how he approached the subject. A glance back at him, hesitance in her eyes as her arm reached across to rub the other, foot scuffing at the ground. “I’m not saying no…because you are…sweet and funny, adorable in the best possible way and we’ve already covered the attractive bases…but are you sure that’s not too fast? I don’t want you to take any steps and then find you regret it later…”

The fact she did not immediately say yes, would have hurt had it not been after his near melt down when they had kissed at her place. He went from them going too fast to asking her out, he would have hesitated too if he was in her shoes. So, instead he closed the distance between the two of them, his body now close to her own as he looked down into her eyes.

“The only thing that I regret was that morning when I said we were moving too fast,” his hand reached up to take her own in hand. “If you would rather wait, then I will wait. No matter how many dates it takes, I will wait...for you...” he smiled sweetly and brought her hand to his lips where he lightly kissed the back of it.

Her eyes didn’t connect with his again, not right off. They held off, careful to keep looking down or elsewhere until it was no longer doable. The slow crawl up from his jaw to his eyes was slow without being egregiously slow, affording herself enough time to get her bearings before making the eye contact. But, when she did, she wasn’t sure what to do or think.

“…Ask me again when you’re not running on wine…” she said quietly, a small smile on her lips. “Then I’ll give an honest answer. But this…this can’t be spoken of with you slightly buzzed.”

“Fair enough,” the smile he gave was not one of defeat, more of determination. When they started to walk again, his hand held onto her own so that they could continue to walk together hand in hand. When his apartment building finally came into view he gave him and side long glance, “So, do I get front door service as well?”

His hand in hers was a comfort, and quelled the feeling of awkwardness that’d begun to set in after her answer. Truth be told, “Yes” had been on the tip of her tongue, but she couldn’t, in good conscience, say such when he was more than a little buzzed. Not after the apartment kiss.

When the apartment came into view, she returned his glance. “You get front door service as well,” Chrystal replied. “I have to make sure you make it after all…You lush.”

“I do declare you are just trying to get into my breeches,” he teased but said no more than that while he fished out his keys unlock the lobby door. Next was a short ride up in the elevator, right to the fifth floor, at his door her turned to face her back against the cool metal. “Thank you for walking me home,” he started. “I had a wonderful night,” he admitted without hesitation, though he lingered there at the door while he tried to figure out what the protocol would be now to just lean in for a kiss.

Following his lead, she took mental note of the surroundings when they entered, along with what floor he was on, pausing outside his door. "I'm glad..." she replied with a smile.

The hesitation was noticed, after his final sentiment, which had her hesitating on what to do next. But, against her better judgment, she went for it, leaning in, closing the gap, and pressing a kiss to his lips.

Eyes fluttered close and on instinct he wrapped his arms about her waist and held her close, as he took a bit of leeway and deepened the kiss. When it finally did end he lingered just a bit close, “Good night,” he whispered. Then with his free hand he worked the locks until they were undone. That same hand he used to caress her cheek, “Call me tomorrow?”

She’d not expected him to pull her in, to have his arms wrap about her waist and hold her close. She didn’t expect him to deepen that kiss, either, her heart tripping over itself but making no effort to pull away. In fact, she may have leaned in a bit more to get closer.

Just a touch.

When it ended, as her mind reminded her he wasn’t in the right mindset for such a kiss, she lingered, not wanting to back away despite needing to. Nodding at his request, she offered him the smallest of smiles, her lower lip pulled in to be nibbled on. “I’ll call you tomorrow,” she whispered back as she slowly made herself start to back off. “Good night.” And with that, she made her way into the elevator, keeping her eyes on him as long as possible until he was no longer in sight and she started the long trek home, a smile on her lips for the entire duration.

"Any fool can write. It takes a genius to read"~Dadsky.
"Draco didn’t listen, so Hermione shut him down the best way she knew how"......"She set that ****ing on fire."
"Ausan: She's beauty, She's grace, She'll punch you in the face"~Smexy Awesome Fossil
Like Gaming? Want to Game with me? Or even just show your support? Check out my Twitch Channel!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:31 pm 

It's my party, and I'll cry if I want to

Owner

Location: Within the darkest recesses of your mind, plucking at your heartstrings.
Medals: 8
Dedicated Partner (1) Creative (1)
1st Year (1) 2nd Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (15)

The next day, she slept in until late morning; A welcomed change to the early mornings. And, because of the night before, she’d had sweet dreams so she felt rested.

A nice change to say the very least.

Padding into her shower, she went about her usual routine in slower fashion, taking her time and enjoying the water while simultaneously eating up some time. Then, once out of the shower, she continued to get ready. While she had no set plans, she didn’t know what she’d be doing if anything, so she thought to cover her bases. Another glance at her clock after drawing out her time to get ready, and she saw it was about time for his lunch break so she figured it’d be safe to call. At the very least, send a text to see if he was available.

*How’s the lush doing today? No unpleasant hangover, I hope?*

On air, that was how he felt when he went to bed and it continued when he woke up the next morning. Despite the comments about him and how much he had drank, Elijah was pleased to wake up and feel just fine. In the shower he sang some nameless tune that continued until he was out of the house and became a low hum all the while he worked.

Not a word he had heard from her yet, but she had the day off and he expected her to get some rest and enjoy herself.

As his lunch rolled about, his phone went off and he smiled when he saw the message. Instead of texting back he merely dialed her number instead. “So, I'm a lush now?” he asked when she answered.

Her phone ringing was expected, so she answered it on the first ring, the smile in her voice readily apparently. “Yes, yes, you’re a lush,” she replied in greeting. “With all that drinking you did, I’m surprised you could handle going into work…Pretty buzzed when I left you last night, did you manage to make it to bed, or conk out on the couch?”

“I made it to bed just fine and had some wonderful dreams to boot,” he added with a smirk. “So, can you be bothered to meet me for lunch?” he asked, already in the process of looking up places for them to eat at on his computer.

“Can I be bothered?” she repeated. “Hmmmm….” Admittedly, she was already putting on her shoes and gathering her things, but she wouldn’t admit to it. “Possibly…it would depend on the place you feel like going to for your hour.”

“More like an hour and a half,” he stated. “I came in early so I get a longer break. There is a burger place down on 2nd that has some good reviews. Meet me there is ten minutes? It's called Five Guys and Fries,” information passed on as he stood from his desk to gather his belongings before he left.

Closing the door behind her, coat already on, she made a “hmmm” for a second time before finally conceding. “I suppose I can meet you for lunch. See you in ten on second,” she replied before hanging up the phone and making her way over. This time, it took her a little longer to get there, if only because she had to call a cab service to drop her off, which resulted in her getting dropped off right around the ten minute mark. Stepping out of the cab, she paid the driver and meandered up, catching sight of Elijah with a smile. “How’s about that? You must’ve teleported this time around. How’s it feel to be faster than I?”

“Surprisingly not as good as I thought,” he teased and gave her a warm hug. “Maybe I am not doing it right?” a shrug was given before he took her hand into his own. “So, what have you been doing on your day off?” he asked while he opened the door to the restaurant for her.

The hug was returned, her smile broadening before it turned into more of a grin. “Clearly not doing it right,” she replied as she gave his hand a squeeze, moving into the restaurant. “As for what I’ve been doing, important things. Very important things. Sleeping…showering…subsequently getting dressed. And then I texted, you called, and here we are. As you can see….very important things.” Another squeeze of his hand. “And how’s working on the project going?”

“Nice to see that I made it on your list of very important things,” he remarked with a smile and brought her hand to his lips so that he could kiss the back of it. Now in line with her his eyes took a gander at the menu, “The project is actually going really well. I think that I could get this done early, but don't want to rush it. You know?” he looked back at her.

Her eyes followed her hand being raised, and remained on it even after the kiss had ended, still burning into the back of her hand. Forcing herself to focus on the menu now, she squinted it at it, debating on what she wanted. “Understandably so,” came her reply with a nod. “But it also means you’ll have more time to test it and find bugs, right? Which means it’ll be even better for the client in the long run.” Looking over in his direction with a smile, she leaned a bit more into him. “Just…don’t burn yourself out? How early did you head into work this morning, anyway?”

“I got there at 6:30,” the remark given as if it were not that early. “No worries on the burning out thing, as I have someone who deserves my time more than just some program,” the look given to her a knowing one. “So, what are you thinking of getting? I am aiming at the double with cheese and grilled onions. Oh and some of the fries,” mind made up and aware that he had skipped breakfast this morning in his eagerness to get to work, so his stomach already growled at him.

The look earned him a hint of a blush painting her cheeks, but nothing was said toward it. Instead, she skipped to what she was going to order. “I think I’ll just go with a regular cheese burger with lettuce, and a few fries, of course.” And, after a pause, she narrowed her eyes at him just a touch. “So…6:30…that’s a bit early, isn’t it? I’m surprised you’re able to function.”

“Not that early for me actually and honestly I woke up in such a good mood that it was hard to stay in bed,” he explained and gave a squeeze of her hand. He placed their orders and went with her to get their prospective drinks. When the meals were ready the sat down together, “Ok. The reviews say this place is really good.” Burger lifted up for inspection he peered at it, then shared a look with her before he took a bite. A few careful and thoughtful chews, followed by a smile and a soft moan.

“Mmm...ok....this is so good....” he managed to get out.

Only moments before, she’d had a hint of a blush, a blush that quickly subsided when she’d allowed the conversation to move passed its instigator. Now, it made a reappearance, chewing on the inner of her lip while her mind prayed he didn’t notice it too much, simultaneously telling herself to stop acting like a school girl and relax. Drinks and food gotten, she followed him to the table, and removed her coat, settling into her seat and inspecting her own burger.

That inspection stopped however, when he took his own bite, and the soft moan escaped. Those moans were quickly becoming something that she focused on far more than she should have, often wondering what the difference would be in other circumstances. Pushing that to the back of her mind, once again, she took a bite of her own burger and nodded emphatically with a smile. “Definitely good,” she agreed, following the first bite with a second.

“So…” A pause was given as she nibbled on a fry. “Woke up in that good of a mood, huh? What time did you end up falling asleep?”

“Took about an hour to fully relax and fall asleep,” he admitted. “I was a bit....excited,” he blushed a bit and focused on his burger and fries for a bit to give himself some time to get his blushing under control. “How about you? When did you get home?”

“It took me a little while to walk it myself, half-an-hour, and then it took me a little bit to relax…so I didn’t fall asleep for…another hour after I got home.” Shrugging a bit, she took a sip of her drink. “Now…how excited are we talking? And what were you excited for? We don’t have a set next date…we have a possible.”

“Just you....and the kiss....” he managed to get out before he focused a bit more on his food.

Another blush, that left her turning her attention to her food for a bit. She’d almost hoped he’d drank more than she thought he had, that he didn’t remember that kiss…the kiss that had been on her mind for the whole walk home…then while laying in bed…in her dreams…and all of that day. Part of her didn’t know if it’d have happened without the use of wine which had her worried about it, and feeling guilty that she’d kissed him while he wasn’t fully with it.

“And you had…no hangover…no…issues today after thinking about last night?” she asked as cautiously as she could, hesitant but needing to know.

“None at all,” he began. “In fact I remember everything we did last night and everything that happened last night. Including my question to you, which I still would like an answer to....” he last part he said with a coy smile at her before his eyes focused on his fries.

Her eyes widened a bit, foot doing a nervous tap on the floor. “You remember that?” she asked. “You meant to ask that? Didn’t ask that in the heat of the moment? I’d have felt bad giving any answer if you hadn’t even meant to…broach the subject.”

“I very much meant it and still mean it...” he said eyes finally back on her own. “We enjoy spending time together and last night that kiss was....I could not forget it and I dreamt about it...” he paused to gather his thoughts for a moment. “I would like to try and make it official....to be in a relationship with you.”

She didn’t know what to say, really. On the one hand, this was what she wanted, to be in a relationship with him, to be around him (even if she wouldn’t openly admit it). But, on the other hand, being in a relationship with him would solidify exactly what she didn’t want to happen.

I could always…look for someone else…come up with an excuse as to why he’s not suitable… came another thought, a hopeful thought. That could work…

“…Would anything change?” was her next question. Where this…official relationship thing was a new step for her, she figured she’d ask.

His hand reached to take her own, “I think more of this would happen. With less hesitation and worry....” Voice soft, his other hand lightly ran along the back of the other. “We would not be pretending when we were staking a claim in front of strangers...there is nothing that would really change but more that would just improve....”

Her eyes dropped to their hands, the light touch burning into her skin. She remained silent for a while longer, though, content to watch their hands a bit longer before figuring her answer. “…If you’re sure…I don’t want you to do something you’re not comfortable with. I may sound like a broken record, but that talk in the kitchen, it…I don’t know…I just don’t want to make you feel obligated or rush you.”

A pause as she slowly slid her eyes back to his. “…But if you’re sure…then yes…I want to try…to be in an official relationship with you…” Shy, though wholly genuine, a smile pulled at the corners of her lips. “Yes, my answer is yes.”

The smile on his lips broadened and he brought her hand to his lips again for another kiss, “This is exciting and I feel like I have more to prove or at least higher standards.” A nervous tone given as he gave her hand a squeeze, “So, um...maybe you want to go out this week?”

Blushing, she found herself enjoying the touch of his hand holding her own, of his lips on the back of it, the way he squeezed her hand. Adorable… she thought with a smile and a nod. This could work…I could find someone else. “Maybe…Did you have something specific in mind? Or a day you’d like to go out on?”

A slight shake of his head, “Can't say that I have thought of anything in particular, but that does not mean we can't figure something out. Right?” The thought to call his grandmother later came to mind, he had missed time with her this past weekend, so he owed her a phone call at least. But, he wanted to call her and tell her about Chrystal. His....girlfriend. A word he honestly did not think he would have with anyone, not with how he was and how hard it was for him to even begin to talk to the opposite gender.

“Hmmm…” came her usual sound while thinking, this one lighter in tone. “What about…” Nibbling on a fry while she continued to ponder, she looked thoughtful. “Well, there’s always the option of a second night in the book room, so you can continue looking over Don Quixote, or we could go for dinner somewhere. Depending on the weather on whatever day we decide, we could go for a walk in the park, or even sledding over one of the hills. Ice skating a second time, without receiving any burns…We could rent a carriage or something through the park, too? Or go out dancing? We could even just stay home, do the cooking in thing (or takeout since I can’t cook to save my life), build a pillow fort and go from there! Sky’s the limit,” she listed off with a smile and a shrug.

“Is it wrong that I want to do all of those?” he asked with a purely childish grin on his face.

“So wrong,” she replied with a laugh. “I’ve got other ideas, but if I listed them all off, (with you wanting to do them all) the date would never end, and there is the need to do work and things.” The smile on her lips turned into more of a grin at his childlike expression before she added, “Is there anything you’d rather do more sooner? It’s not as though we’re lacking in time at the moment.”

“The carriage ride actually sounds nice,” he said. “We can get a tour of the park, stop of some hot chocolate or even icecream and then walk home. What do you think?”

“Sounds like a plan to me!” Squeezing his hand as she allowed herself to just feel, and not overthink for the time being, she felt honestly happier. Like a weight had been lifted. “I think I’d favor ice cream over hot chocolate, though, since that won’t burn…but if you want hot chocolate, then I’m fine with that! I’ll bring the blanket and you bring yourself?”

“Perfect!” his excitement clearly evident. “Now let's finish lunch and then maybe take a walk through the park before I have to leave and head back to work. We can possibly reserve a carriage now and pick out which horse we want and all that,” he felt like a kid in a candy store. Excited and unsure of what to do or say first.

Another nod and smile, and her hand was withdrawn back to her side to finish eating. Admittedly, she knew she wouldn’t be able to finish what she had, but she gave it the ol’ college try regardless. Not too much more was managed, though she ate a good portion of her burger was eaten and a dent was made in the fries. Pushing back from her seat, she gathered up her trash. “Want me to take anything for you while I’m going?” she thought to ask, a hand held out for anything he may want tossed.

Unlike her, he had managed to eat all of his burger and nearly all of his fries. “Just the trash,” he smirked. A napkin was snagged to wipe his hands and mouth with as he waited for her to return back to him. Already up from his seat when she returned, “Ok, so time for that walk.” His hand was held out for her own, the smile never left his face not since he had first talked to her earlier and it only seemed to grow every moment they were together.

With a shake of her head and a grin, she took his trash with her to the garbage, tossing it and making her way back in short order. Though she didn’t take his hand initially, she took a moment to pull on her coat and fasten it before taking hold of it. “How much time do we have before you have to be back?” she asked, while taking the lead to walk with him out of the store, opening the door for him before following suit. “Wouldn’t want to make you late, after all.”

“We didn't take too long to eat,” he said and glanced at his watch. “I have about another forty-five minutes before I have to leave to head back,” he brought her hand to his lips for a kiss, it seemed to have become the thing that he did now. “So, more than enough time to walk and enjoy one another's company.”

Another kiss on the back of her hand, and she was growing more and more fond of the gesture, glancing over in his direction before slipping her other hand across to hold to the crook of his elbow. “Sounds perfect,” came her reply with another smile, leaning her head on his shoulder. “It’s a shame you have to go back to work…” A pause for dramatic effect. “…Otherwise, I might have the urge to pelt you with a few snowballs.”

“Oh? Is that a fact?” he asked with a grin. The sensation as she leaned just a bit more into him, the fact that this was real and that they were together meant the world to him. “Tonight, I was going to make my rounds after work. Want to come with me? Keep me company?”

“I wouldn’t be opposed to that; It would make up for that night we were supposed to and it fell through,” came her next reply. “When do you get off work and where do you want me to meet you? That is, of course, if you can keep me safe. After all…you have the penis. I’m just some poor, defenseless woman walking around at night…”

At that he rolled his eyes, “Want to just meet at my place? I get off at six and would probably get home at about 6:30, so you can just meet me there and we can leave from my place. Sounds good?”

She shrugged, following that up with a nod. “I could do that. Do you want me to aim for that time, or another? Give you time to de-workify and such?”

"Here I thought you might enjoy to watching me de-workify? You know with my whole work out thing," he teased her.

“Oh, you’re doing a workout prior to going on your rounds? How ever will you keep me safe if you’re tired from all that…muscle building? Not that I’d mind watching and all…we’ve established my like of…” She glanced down at his body momentarily before looking ahead once more. “…All of that.”

"I am sure I will be able to still protect you," he released her hand to slip his arm about her shoulder instead pull her closer into him.

Nestling into him, she looked thoughtful. “Well, if you’re offering, who am I to turn down an opportunity to watch you workout? Meet you at your place at 6:30 then!”

“Then I guess that would be a date, huh?” he leaned over as if he were to give her a kiss, hesitated for a moment but then gave her a quick peck on the lips.

For a moment, she didn’t know what he was going to do, the way he hesitated. Her eyes widened for a split second, but then the gap was closed and a peck was given. For a moment, she said nothing. But…she couldn’t resist a comment…or two. “My, oh my, I do declare! Moving in for a kiss already, Elijah? What ever will my proper sensibilities do when being tempted with such things?”

The blush that came to his cheeks was hot and a bright red, the sudden case of embarrassment. “I just...well I figured....that would be ok given what we are now...and....” he stammered even though he knew she was teasing him.

Shaking her head with a smile, she pressed a kiss to his lips. It was a short kiss, but a sweet kiss, pulling back after a few moments. “Really, you need to relax…” she pointed out. “If you’re going to blush after every time I poke fun at you, then you won’t ever stop…since, you know, we’re in a relationship and all…Fair game all the time.”

The kiss soothed his nerves, even if it did make him blush even more. “I will have to learn how to control it,” he remarked and pulled her in a little closer. “So, relationships are about teasing and poking fun at one another?” he asked after a moment.

“Anything with me revolves around teasing and poking fun at you,” she replied coyly. “You could try to tease me back, but I’m not sure you could. You spend far too much time blushing and stammering when I do it to get a word in edgewise.”

Nestling in closer to him, she felt her phone go off in her pocket.Nope! Not dealing with that right now! came an emphatic thought as her arm wrapped about his back. “Now…Anywhere in particular you’d like to walk? Or would you like to just wing it?”

“I will have to work on my anti-blushing technique,” he remarked with a smirk. “Winging it seems to be the best bet. I mean, the park is not too big and we can just head to the other end and that should be about the time that I have to get back to work,” a simple plan given. “Now, exactly how much teasing can I expect? I want to crunch the numbers and maybe write a program to factor in the non-teasing time versus the teasing time and choose the optimum time to give and/or receive kisses,” he grinned at his own humorous remark. At least it was funny to him, though people rarely followed his brand of humor.

“You can’t come up with a formula to figure such things; if you could, it’d be boring,” she replied with a laugh. “Besides…Kisses and such aren’t factored into any optimum time slot. You just go with feel. If I decide to give you a kiss, hopefully it’s a good time to do it, even if you’re in the middle of talking…Which could happen, on occasion, like if you’re overthinking…” A coy smile was given as she held him a smidgen tighter.

“A pleasant surprise then?” he asked, even if he knew the answer. Then, because it felt right, he stopped them both then. At the question in her eyes, he turned her toward him and kissed her. Soft, slow and lingering, he allowed himself the time to indulge and enjoy the feel of her lips against his own. When it finally did end he just smiled, “Like that?”

“Of course a…simple…” Her words wavered as he slowed them down to a halt, glancing up at him with confusion. Had she missed something? Said something? Why were they stopping when they were on a schedule?

Her mind didn’t have time to continue thinking on it, as he turned her into him and kissed her. Her eyes widened briefly, but then drifted closed, enjoying the kiss, relishing in it for the duration it lasted. Even after, she didn’t open her eyes right off; They remained closed as she just continued to breathe, tongue slipping out over her lips subconsciously. “…Like that,” she finally replied, voice quiet. “Yep…I could get used to that.” A smile pulled at her lips as she met his gaze, “Now…shall we continue our walk? Or are you going to keep taking my breath instead?”

“Is that what happens?” he smirked and kissed the back of her hand. “I think I like that reaction,” another kiss on the back of her hand. “Quite a bit.” From shy to confident he seemed to slip between the two in just the blink of an eye and he did not seem to notice. “Is it wrong that I am highly considering skipping work and hanging out with you instead?”

Each kiss on her hand burned just that little bit brighter, just that little bit more intense. But, what overshadowed that was the confidence he suddenly exuded. It was intriguing to her, how he could just flip that switch in the blink of an eye. “Very wrong…” Chrystal tried to admonish as seriously as she could. “You’ve a client to keep happy. Skipping on account of myself is deplorable.”

“I am of the mind that anything involving you is definitely worth it,” he remarked and kissed her hand once more. “Though, the whole client thing is somewhat of an issue,” he mock grumbled and resumed the walk with her.

“Well, on the one hand, you said you’re ahead of schedule, which means you’ve time,” she started to reason, looking thoughtful. “On the other hand, the sooner you get it done and tested, the sooner the client will be satisfied. …On the first hand, I, too, am a client…” Another pause. “But, I’m canceled out by the latter as I’m not a paying client…”

A glance over in his direction with a perked brow. “What do I know, though?” she added innocently. “I’m just playing devil’s advocate. For both sides.”

“Oh, but you see, it could be argued that you are a paying a client. Only that what you pay in is, well, more physical and definitely more appreciated,” he smirked. “Sadly, though I would like to just skip work, I do want to make a good impression with this client who may want to use me again in the future. When words like “Money is no object” get thrown around, you want them to like you,” he chuckled.

“I wouldn’t consider giving you kisses, poking fun, and holding hands to be payment for anything, since it’s equal parts you and I; to each their own, though,” Chrystal replied with a laugh, resting her head back on his shoulder. “Besides…if money’s no object, I’d likely be at work day and night to make sure I made a good impression, but I’m the type to lose myself in work and lose track of the time anyway…” Then, as an aside, she added (in her usual teasing fashion), “…Though, the way you word it, you sound like a prostitute. Should I be paying you for your time with me, then? After all…our currency is no object…” Looking up, she gave him a wink, and then nestled back into her previous spot.

That made him arch a brow and then out of character and bold for himself, “If that was the case, then maybe you should pay for your time? Not opposed to kissing and further physical attention....” he smirked, his eyes quick to glance down as if to indicate a certain area for her to pay some attention to.

To his comment, she followed his gaze down and then back up. “Oh, you’d not be opposed, huh?” A glance around of her own, this time for those who may be about, as though seriously considering such a “payment”. “Well, if that’s the going rate…then I do need to pay up my tab to this point, right?” A shrug as she pulled away from him to stand in front of him, eyes expectant down at his waistline with a nod. “So, let’s do it.”

A glance of his own given to the area around them and he went to undo his belt, “Sure you want to be knelt in the cold snow?” he asked and undid his zipper.

Not to be outdone, she lowered in front of him with a shrug, knees making themselves at home in the snow, adjusting her sweater dress as she needed. “The cold doesn’t bother me,” she answered simply, looking up at him from her new, lower position. “Won’t it bother you? I mean…cold and the family jewels don’t mix…”

There was the thought and even the desire to see just how far this would go, but the upbringing his mother and grandmother gave him were enough to put a stop to it all. Zipper was pulled up and belt redone, as he assisted her back to her feet.

“You are a stubborn one, huh?”

She took his assistance, letting go of his hands to dust the snow off of her knees, noting the redness of what she assumed would have been the usual cold for another, rubbing them a bit longer to go along with the illusion that she was truly affected. “Stubborn is my middle name. You hadn’t learned this by now?”

All he could do was shake his head and give her a quick kiss, “Come on. Let's enjoy the rest of our walk before we are forced to part.”

The walk was enjoyed, with a few more jokes and passing comments, but enjoyed none the less. When they were finally forced to part it did take him a bit of effort to do so. The kiss they shared lasted a bit longer than the last and he felt himself on cloud nine. Back at work his mind shifted from the kiss and the fact that she had taken their little game so far. It would appear that she had “won” the first competition they had in as a couple. Of course he did not think it was fair, but there was no way he could argue the point and not lose even further. Instead he pushed the incident from his mind and tried to focus on work. By the time the end of the day rolled around he had only verbally abused himself for a good four hours or so.

A light skip was in his step as he head home, as per the arrangements he expected to find her there waiting for him and given her impeccable on time nature he was sure she would be waiting for him.

The grin she held after that first kiss lingered long after they’d resumed walking. And, it continued to stay even after their prolonged kiss when he had to go back to work; A kiss that left her breathless and tempted to argue that he should skip just this once.

But, she resisted, walking back home to spend the rest of the afternoon wondering if she should change, what she should be wearing for their walk about the city. Phone going off about the time she got inside, she looked at it, not bothering to check who it was from, only to raise a brow.

Annelise. She should have known it’d be from Annelise. Shaking her head as she read it, the simple text of “Looks like you’ve got things well in hand, huh?” having more impact than she thought her friend realized. Another shake of her head, and she put the phone down to go through her wardrobe. For the next four hours, the debate of what to wear was her core focus, along with casual thoughts of “what ifs” parading through her mind.

“What if he’d wanted to continue?”

“What if he’d been serious?”

“What if he’d wanted that?”

Wondering over the “what ifs” wasn’t getting her anywhere, though, so she focused on the clothing. And, after those four hours, she decided to continue with what she had on, with pants in her purse to change into before they went for their walk. Since she was going to be watching him workout first, pants weren’t really a requirement.

True to form, she was waiting outside his complex, leaning against the side of it when her eyes met his with a smile. “You should take up teleporting,” she quipped, smile becoming a grin. “It’s far faster.”

“I would, but I feel that you plan on keeping that one a secret for just a little longer,” the tease in his tone even as he hugged her in greeting. “Hope I did not keep you waiting long?” he asked, keys already fished out of his pocket and the door unlocked then held open for her to enter. “I did try to rush just a bit,” which was the truth. So excited was he about this evening that it took all that he had to not run over.

Hugging him back, she shook her head with a smile. “You didn’t keep me waiting long…Truth be told, it took a lot of restraint not to get here early; Not that it’d have done me any good, but…I was a little excited…” An admittance, genuine, she felt he deserved to hear, the lightest of blushes creeping into her cheeks.

Stepping through to the apartment building itself, she waited to the side so that he could walk in easily. “So, how was the rest of work?”

“Excited? To see little old me?” he asked with a grin. “And work was good, if I was a bit distracted thinking about our encounter in the park,” he admitted with a blush of his own. Past the elevators he led her to the staircase, “I am about six flights up, think you can handle that?” it was tease, that he would of course change and use the elevator if she really preferred. However, as his usual rule of fitness thumb, he took the stairs every day in his building and whenever possible.

Without even answering, she went up the flight of stairs, walking ahead of him with a grin over her shoulder. “You were thinking about our encounter in the park, hmm?” she repeated, raising a brow. “Any particular thoughts about that encounter in the park?” It was at this point she stopped, and turned to look at him as opposed to continuing with the walk, a look of humorous curiosity in her eyes. “Do share.”

Throat cleared and he stepped past her to continue up the stairs, “Why would I share? Not like that changes the outcome.” Onward he continued up the stairs, up to the next flight and then to the flight after that. “How was the rest of your day?”

“Didn’t you learn sharing is caring in school?” she asked with a shake of her head and followed after him, not pressing it further even if she were curious. “My day was alright. Completely uneventful and boring, if I’m honest. I spent the majority of my time cleaning…”Cleaning up after tearing apart my wardrobe, she amended quietly.

“Cleaning? Make a mess or something?” he asked and just continued up the stairs to the next two flights at the door he opened it and waited for her.

“Not a mess,” she replied to that, stepping passed him as he opened the door with a small curtsy. “Just a routine clean up.” Even if it looked like a tornado had gone through my bedroom. “So, what does this routine normally consist of?”

“Well,” he began as he followed here into the hall. “I go to my apartment,” he nodded to the door right by the stairs and proceeded to unlock it. Ever the gentleman he allowed her to enter first, followed behind to shut and lock the door.

“There is my kitchen straight there and then though it to the other side if the livingroom, down the small hall is a door to my bedroom and a door to the bathroom,” he explained with his short tour while he removed his bag and then coat. “I generally get some water then go and change into something to work out in,” as he explained, the top layer he wore was removed and a couple of the buttons of the button up were undone. “Want some water? Or a snack?” he asked.

The apartment was nice, decent really. Just enough for him and he did not really seek anything more. It was sparsely decorated with various posters from movies, comic books or video games; all very much nerd in theme. The furniture was worn, but clean and looked like it belonged to someone who was older in terms of the style. Which was accurate as it once belonged to his grandmother. Scattered about are piles of books, comic books and computer parts/programs. Amongst that clutter are a few free weights and weighted belts.

Going through the door he held open for her, she took in his apartment and thought it looked…exactly like she’d pictured. Based on his story and what she’d witnessed of him thus far, she figured he’d have pieces of furniture that were from owner’s past: used, still in good condition, and not quite the style that he’d likely have picked out on his own. He seemed more the sort to take what was offered him, or wander to a Goodwill to buy one at a low price so that his money could go toward things, people, that he deemed needed it more.

And the comics. She’d anticipated there being comics given his affinity for superhero underwear, but to see the stacks laid out with a few scattered…it was adorable, even if he’d likely not have appreciated such a description. Only when his question registered did she stop looking around, and focus more on him. “I’m all set, thank you,” she replied, instead picking up a comic at random and thumbing through it. “Where can I be so I’m not in your way? I don’t want to interrupt your flow.”

“Couch is fine,” he replied with a bottle of water in his hand. “I mainly use the floor and the pull up bar over there,” he gestured. “Thinking about reading that while I change?” he asked with a grin and walked past her to his bedroom.

“The thought crossed my mind,” she replied as he walked passed her, settling into the couch. Shoes slipped off so as not to get his couch a mess, she brought her legs up onto it, one leg over the other while resting her back against an arm rest. The one she’d happened to pick up was Superman which, in her mind, was fitting. She didn’t know much over all when it came to the overall story, but it looked interesting overall, only halfheartedly keeping her interest while she waited.

A quick change and he came back out in a pair of blue track shorts, nothing else.

“Alright, I have to stretch and then get my cardio up,” brief explanation given then he started to stretch. First his arms across his chest, then he bent at the waist and touched his toes and stretched out his calves. When he felt loose and limber he picked up the jump rope that had been on the floor. Deep breath taken, he held both ends together the rope brought over first to the left and then to the right. As if came back toward the left he took a handle in each hand and started to skip rope.

Slow at first, arms kept at his sides, so that it was only his hands moving and barely at that. Over the course of a few moments the speed would pick up, and his steps would vary between a couple of different steps. Sometimes he moved from side to side, or he made as if he ran in place, high knees, and criss cross; the rope swing ever used to transition from one exercise to the next.

When he stopped there was a nice sheen of sweat on his body and he could feel his heart rate up to where he needed it.

“Now for the weights,” he said a bit out of breath though he stopped to hydrate before he picked up his weights, did some arm curls and then some various lifts for his chest, shoulders and back. The reps came and went, which then found him with a weight belt about his ankles and at the pull up bar. It began with a few pull ups, then chin ups and lastly legs lifts which were to focus on his core. The added weight about his ankles caused him to strain a bit more, but he could feel the satisfactory burn of his muscles as he lifted his legs. His routine ended after he hung from the bar upside down and performed a series of stomach crunches.

“There,” he said with a slight grunt as he lowered himself back to the earth. “All done. I hope you were not too bored watching?”

Just like that, she was a teenage girl, heart racing a mile a minute while she watched him come out of his room. The comic book, though still in her hand, was completely forgotten as her eyes followed his movements, wandering over the entirety of his form. Careful not to linger on the shorts (tiny things that they were, leaving hardly anything to imagination), she followed each and every muscular contour on his torso, his arms, his legs.

And, as he started his routine, that focus didn’t waver as much as she tried to keep from staring like a crazy woman. The sweat that caught the light over his skin…it just made everything stand out all the more, which had her biting back a groan and forcing herself to look away on occasion. What really got her, though, were the crunches…The way his abs shifted and clenched, and his back, his stomach, the entirety of his torso had her nearing the edge of her seat.

Glancing away as he lowered, she went back to the comic in her hands, not really seeing anything at all that interested her as she wanted him over the top of it. “No, not bored at all,” Chrystal replied as casually as she could, looking up at him for a moment with a smile before looking back at her comic. “You look…thoroughly worked out, and I enjoyed watching you work out…” A shrug, as though that were the most normal thing to say, was given, flipping another page until she couldn’t feign interest it in anymore. “You do that nightly?”

He grabbed up his towel to towel off a bit, “Um...yeah. I do a brief workout in the morning and then do something a bit more involved when I get off work. If I don't workout here, I load up a backpack with some weights and go for a run to the park, then workout there. Really only do that in the warmer weather though,” explanation given as he put away his equipment after wiping it all down.

“I have to get a shower now, but then we will go out and do my rounds. We can grab something while we are out and bring it back here if you want?”

“So I have outdoor workouts to look forward to?” she teased with a grin before standing and stretching, adding, “That sounds fine to me.” Then, with a smile and a glance at her bag, she looked around. “Is there anywhere you’d prefer me to change? I just figure wearing a dress out for this walk probably isn’t the best idea…so I brought pants, but didn’t want to assume it was okay to shimmy into them out here while you showered.”

“You can change in here,” he said without hesitation. “I should only be a few minutes; I don't expect to shower for long. Just help yourself, my house is your house.” With a departing smile he left her to her own devices to disappear into the bathroom for a shower.

Nodding as he left her to go shower, she started perusing his apartment, flipping through a few of the comics he had. But, what caught her eye, was a picture of him from when he was little. He was with a woman, the two smiles happy even if hers looked tired, worn. His mother… came a thought while a frown moved over her features, lingering on it as much as she wanted to tear her eyes away.

Forcing herself to look at something else, she went back to the couch, taking her pants out of her bag and slipping free of her shoes. Stepping one foot in and then the other, she did her usual shimmy into her pants, hopping just that little bit to get them all the way up before buttoning them and slipping her boots back on. Then, she made herself at home on his couch again, trying to get the guilt quelled. Yes, she’d decided to try and find someone else…but, Annelise was well apprised of their situation, which meant the rest of the coven was, too.

Relax, you’re fine. He’s fine, she told herself. You’re overthinking again. With that sentiment in mind, she waited for him to come out so that they could leave, and so that she could have something else to think about.

The shower was meant to be quick and in truth he had washed and rinsed not shortly after he entered the hot water. However, he wanted the time, or more like he needed the time. Time to relax, time to calm down and not think about the few glances he had stolen of her while he worked out. The way she looked at him and how much it affected him.

It took a bit, but once he felt he was ready to face her again he exited the shower. A quick towel off before he wrapped it about his waist and exited.

“You decent?” he asked her before he took the few steps that would allow him to view the living room.

His voice pulled her out of her thoughtful state, turning toward the direction of his voice. “Yep, decent,” she replied, the smile evident in her voice before a blush replaced it and her eyes averted, in quick succession. “…But it looks like you aren’t…” Not looking in that direction, she took a shaky breath and added, “Did you…um…forget clothes?”

“I am wearing just about as much as I had while I worked out,” he said with a smirk. “I just wanted to make sure you were ok and did not need anything?”

“Yes, but your shorts were…firmly in place…whereas the towel could…fall?” she stammered out, a hand pushing some of her hair aside and wishing she’d just not even commented. “I’m good; Don’t need anything…Just going to continue…perusing your comic collection…yep.”

The blush and slight stammer made him smile, “If you say so. I'll be just a minute.”

Again he left her to her own devices while he figured out what he would wear tonight. In the end he settled on a purple pinstripe button up with jeans and boots. The shirt was only mostly buttoned as he came from the bedroom, fingers at work to complete the task.

“Alright. Ready to go?” he asked just as he finished with his shirt.

When he left, she let out a sigh of relief and told herself to relax. He’s just a man…with a great body…no big deal.

And, it was when she’d gotten a grip on it that he came back in, turning toward the sound and being met with…more muscle. Covered, mostly, but still enough to make her linger on it. He asked you a question, dumbass, she chided herself. “All I need to do is pull on my coat and I’m golden,” came her reply with a nod, shrugging it on as he finished his shirt. “I should be good in just this, right?” A normal question to ask, given the time of year.

“Yeah you should,” he replied and got his own coat. “If for some reason you get cold, I can always give you mine,” the offer genuine and sincere. A quick check for his wallet, keys then to restock his duffel bag and Elijah felt good to go. “Alright. Let's go and meet my friends,” he opened the door and allowed her to exit before he shut and locked the door behind them.

“So, which one of the comics did you end up reading?” he asked to make small talk as they walked down the steps together.

If anything, I’ll be giving you my coat, not the other way around, she amended mentally. But the offer is a nice one.

Walking out ahead of him, she had to think about how to answer. Which ones had she “read”? “Superman, Captain America and Flash were the three I perused. I’ll admit, though, I couldn’t get into them as I seemed to keep picking issues that were later in the series.”

“Is that an open invitation to have me get you first editions of things?” the soft laugh there on the end of his question.

“You mean you don’t already have them?” she teased, nudging him with her elbow. “I think I’ll just peruse your collection when I wander over from time to time. If you don’t mind me thumbing through your things, of course.”

“Wander over from time to time, huh?” he asked with a smirk. “How often do you see yourself being over?” he asked out of curiosity. The thought of her being around and being around often was something that he wanted, even looked forward to. This was a relationship, a partnership and he could not even begin to explain how much that meant to him.

“Hmm…not sure,” she replied to that one with a shrug. “Firstly, we both have jobs, so I’m sure there will be days we’re just exhausted. Then comes whether we’re hanging out at one of our apartments or going out…Really depends on what we end up doing most.” Glancing over at him with a perked brow, she asked, “Why? Tired of me nosing about already?”

“Not at all, but I wanted to know whether or not I need to like set up a personal stack for you to start reading for when you are over. Your own little section as it were,” he explained. Out onto the streets he turned left and headed back to the highway overpass. He had heard from that family that everything went well and were on their way to getting back on their feet. With that family taken care of that meant that another had likely moved into the spot they once called their own. It was a prime space with more than enough room for a small family to set up in. He hoped that he could help them get out of their before that spot began to be called “home.”

“My own personal stack…” she repeated, not sure how she felt about the idea of already figuring how often she’d be over when they’d only started dating earlier that day, officially. “Not sure I’ll need a personal stack as comics really aren’t my thing, but you could always make a ‘recommendation’ stack for me to look over when I pop over? That might get me to find something I like, based on things you like or think I should read.”

Following after him, she wasn’t sure how tonight would go. The one night she’d wandered through the tent city, before meeting Elijah, it was…incredibly uncomfortable. She got looks, none too kind, that she assumed was due to her appearance. Now, she was going back with him, and she just hoped everything went off without a hitch. And that seeing him help more people wouldn’t make anything worse down the road.

A quick glance around to see if she could spot her constant tail, she came up empty, letting out a mental sigh of relief. So long as Lis doesn’t see this…we should be good. But I doubt my luck will be that good.