All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:44 pm 

Finally threw in an OC sheet in my blog been meaning to do that for a while. Hope it helps.

Blog: View Blog (4)

In a world where scientists have gone against the wills of the gods and broken through boundaries between gene limitations. For years mankind had longed to touch the skies without assistance from planes or devices. Looking up at the sky some may find jealousy of the birds that soar high above. The careless joy with the wind beneath your wings and the freedoms that are denied to those on the ground.
In the labs where the scientists spent their every waking moment some had even moved into the over night rooms on the outskirts of the building devoting their lives to their studies. After having lost her child in one of the first series of trials Marie had started losing faith in their work and had longed for a way out. Saving up her paychecks she had decided she would leave at the beginning of the next trial while everyone was focused on their work rather that waiting for results. The weeks had gone by and a shipment had come in of transfers from another lab on that shipment was a young girl with wings like an angel and Marie had her heart taken in the first glimpse. Four years old with a six foot wingspan Unit # 43682 was the closest thing to a perfect specimen they had seen in the eight years of studies.
A week later she had made her break. Packing a small bag of essentials she had slipped into the young girls room and offered her a candy bar for her silence. Slipping out in the dark of the night she had never looked back. Once she had traveled out into the country side she had set up a life for the two of them taking in two orphan boys a year later. Now that four year old girl celebrates her seventeenth birthday and is in for the ride of her life. Twenty years after the studies began specimen have begun escaping more frequently than expected hunters have been hired and trained to bring them in alive.

Raylan lay in the grass in the summer sun her wings spread out across the grass taking in the light of the sun. Her emerald halter top standing out against her fair skin and blue eyes, copper hair shining bright as she laughed at her brother Cole once again teasing their brother Jeremy about being too short to reach a majority of the branches on the apple tree. "You boys realize all you have to do is ask and I'd get you the ones from the top." She smiled pushing up onto her elbows.

"Na sis we got this, besides the juicy fruit always hangs the lowest." Cole called from beneath the tree tossing her an apple as little Jeremy jumped brushing one just enough to disconnect it from the branch and catch it on the way down.
Raylan looked hers over before wiping it off on the soft material of her jeans. Sunset is coming soon, you boys don't start picking faster I won't be able to make you a pie when I get back from my flight." She said biting into her apple.
"Fine, Mere Jeremy!" Cole said diving between the others legs and giving him an unwanted lift into the first level of branches.
"Dang it Cole, you know I don't like heights!" Jeremy screeched clinging onto the nearest sturdy branch as he started dropping ripened apples into the basket Cole held up on his head.
Glancing towards the horizon Raylan smiled. "See you boys in a bit. I'm heading out." she said setting off for the house to let her mother know she was heading out early. Twenty minutes of hugs and safe wishes Raylan was soaring among the clouds a free spirit in the skies.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:11 pm 

Blog: View Blog (0)

Most, however, were not so lucky. Those that survived remained in the lab, being tested on and kept in small cells for years with only each other and the scientists for company. As they got older, however, more and more began trying to escape, and more and more succeeded and made it out to try and live as normal lives as possible, either in groups or alone. Jack was one of these escapees, managing to get out with a small group of other experiments and live on the run until they happened across a doctor who took them in as his own. Not too long later he also met his brother, one of the leading pair of the largest group in the area, and since then the two groups had been working together closely, taking in other escapees and doing the occasional raid on the labs that they knew about.

Today, though, Jack was out flying, enjoying the sights and sounds of the forest below and the freedom of flying. It was nice to be alone for a while, away from the constant noise of his home, although he knew he should be heading back soon; otherwise the others would be worried. Circling around in the sky, his eyes suddenly locked onto movement in the air not too far from him. It was far too big to be any sort of bird, yet too small and quiet and low to be a plane. That could mean only one thing... He adjusted course, flying fast towards whoever it was, curious.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:25 pm 

Finally threw in an OC sheet in my blog been meaning to do that for a while. Hope it helps.

It was roughly an hour into her flight and the sky was glowing in the reds and purples of her favorite sunsets. Catching a glimpse of wing to large for a friendly bird she spun in a wide arch between two large clouds looking for the body connected to those wings. Shocked to see a shadowed male figure she closed her wings hoping not to be noticed.

Diving as she had many times just playing, she dove down quickly landing in a nearby clearing that she had found a while back. Quickly and quietly she pulled her wings in tight as she tucked herself between two trees and crouched in the shadows of the bushes. A small hiding place she had found in case someone every got lucky to catch a glimpse of her and try to find her.

She had never met someone from the village and wasn't eager to. She had practiced hiding many times and had told her mother that she thought she had it down to a science now. She could be in the clouds one minute and whispering to the bugs in the dirt in roughly ninety- seconds. Not that she every had anyone to time her.

Panic raced through her, every sound she heard sounded like feathers rustling was he close? Her heart was beating loud in her ears. She had never been spotted before, and who was that? A thousand questions raced through her mind. Were there more like her? If so how many, were they as kind as her mother or as cruel as she had made the villagers out to be? Holding her breath she closed her eyes not knowing what else to do. All she knew to do was wait.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:58 pm 

By the time she noticed him and tried to hide, Jack was close enough that it wasn't hard for him to see her dive down and land. He followed, circling a few times as he descended and landed in the same clearing. It was then only a matter of looking around, his strange golden eyes quickly noticing colors in a bush that didn't match even in the low evening light and slight movements meaning something alive -and big- was hiding there. "Hey, who are you?" He asked as he went over to investigate, hoping she wouldn't try to run now that she had been spotted. He understood her trying to avoid him; none of his kind was exactly very trusting, except maybe the youngest kids, and he didn't really blame them.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:14 pm 

Her eyes shot open at his voice. He was close way too close. Trying to scurry backwards only to hit her back between her wings on the tree she bite her tongue to keep from crying out. She had been found, but maybe if she did go out she could out fly him, he was bigger than her so it would take more force for take off. So with a deep breath and a thousand prayers to the heavens she found her feet beneath her and squeezed back out of her hiding place, head low shoulders up, she couldn't hide fear, never had been good at hiding anything really so it shouldn't have been a surprise that he had found her so easily. Looking up to his eyes she realized why. They reminded her of a hawk, seeing a field mouse from the sky made finding her a piece of cake in the little clearing.

Mentally she kicked herself for letting her mind wander so far that she hadn't noticed him sooner, and now he had to think her an idiot. Standing with her back to the tree line and the posture of a coward she glanced at the normal take off path she had used and realized there was one major thing wrong with her escape plan. He was standing on her run way for a quick escape. A jumping take off would give someone with his size an advantage to stop her so quietly she kept her distance.

Her wing twitched and she realized her plan would have failed either way, her left wing was partially numb from hitting the nerve on the tree a minute earlier. "What do you want?" She asked not sure how to know if someone was lying about good or bad intentions. Part of her made a mental note to ask for a psychology book when she got home, if she got home.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:27 pm 

"Just to talk. I'm Jack, and you are?" He said, answering her question and trying again to get her to answer him. He could tell she was frightened, so he tried not to appear threatening, but there wasn't much he could do; he was bigger and taller than her and it seemed she'd probably be frightened of just about anyone who found her.
He wondered why she was here, as she didn't look like she'd just escaped from the nearby lab; her hair was too long and her clothes were too normal, but she had to have been from a lab at some point, judging by the wings. Maybe she had escaped a while ago, he thought, and just hadn't been noticed until now.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:20 pm 

So all he wanted to do was talk, okay, maybe not everyone was a monster ready to hurt her, didn't mean she'd spill her guts. "Nice to meet you Jack, I'm Raylan." She said knowing her mother wouldn't be very fond of this trip.
Now that she had a name for the face she looked him over again stretching out and retracting her wings trying to shake the numbness from her left wing. She straightened up and noticed her wasn't too much taller than her but still when inch by inch came to, he had her by a few. Standing at five foot four and convinced that she was done growing she straightened her halter top and brushed off her jeans. Trying not to stare she glanced between him and his wings she had never seen someone else with wings. "So what is it you want to know?" She asked not sure she really wanted to know but if she got to see his wings it could be worth it, maybe right? She reminded herself that there was still her mother and brothers she had to get back to, without leading anyone to them.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:59 pm 

Jack was pretty tall, around 6 feet, with dark hair that nearly matched his wings, though there was a little more variation in the color of his feathers. His wings were huge, somewhere above twelve feet in all, and he'd kept them slightly unfolded against his back as if allowing her to inspect them. He wore simple jeans and a dark shirt, having left his jacket and any weapons he might have usually carried, besides a small pocket knife, at home since he was simply out flying without any real goal tonight. He noticed her staring at him and simply stared back, similarly curious about her as he assumed she was about him, his gold eyes considerably less cold and predatory than they might had they belonged to something like a hawk as it hunted a mouse.
"So, where are you from? You don't look like you just escaped. Are there others with you?" Jack asked. He was a bit blunt, himself not the greatest at meeting new people. "Or have you not seen others like us before?" He asked, as he noticed her gaze lingering on his wings as if they were something unfamiliar.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:06 pm 

"Escaped?" she asked bringing her eyes back to his in confusion. "Escaped from where?" she asked thinking that momma wasn't really someone to run from until she wanted to play. Her brothers were rougher but still treated her like fine china. Always letting her play in the yard. Apple and cherry pies had become her specialty and the three of them had always welcomed her baking talents.

"Where did you escape from?" She asked wondering if he had been to jail. Where else did people try to escape?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:16 pm 

"The labs. There's one not far from here.. You have to have got out of there at some point, people don't just get these by magic." He said, gesturing to both her wings and his own. She didn't know about the labs? That was definitely very strange, as they were both the birthplace and the greatest fear of anyone of their kind he'd met so far. Perhaps someone had stolen her from there at a young age? It was possible, and the only explanation he could think of to explain her having wings despite not knowing of the place, however he'd never heard of that actually happening.

When he'd said there was a lab nearby, he had forgotten just how nearby it was. They were in what was usually a "no landing" zone for his group, where they could fly over but never landed, with the exception of raids, due to the risk of being spotted and captured by patrolling guards.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:46 pm 

"What kind of labs?" she asked unsure of why he thought she had come from the labs. For as long as she could remember she and her mother had lived in the cottage with her brothers, she had sometimes wondered who or where her father was but had figured it was better not to know at times. "I've flown through here and spent plenty of time here, I've never seen anything but trees and the near by village.

Running through her mind she was curious she had spent about an hour flying and now had spent five or ten minutes or so trading stares with him. If she didn't shake him and bolt home soon her mother wouldn't allow her out of sight of the cottage for a month. "I have no memory other than my family and my home, how could i be an escapee from a lab?"

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:22 pm 

"I guess somebody got you out when you were really young, then." Jack said. "They do experiments on our genetics when we're just a few cells, then keep us, assuming we survive, to do experiments on, at those labs. Some of us, such as myself, have managed to escape." He said, hoping that would suffice as an explanation for now, and if not she would ask any questions she had. "The lab near here is hidden in the trees, it's one of the smaller ones." He added, assuming she hadn't seen it because she wouldn't know where to look or what to look for.

As he was saying that, he heard noises approaching, the sounds of boots and men talking into radios. Jack swore, turning to see the guards, dressed in dark clothing and carrying tranquilizer guns. He took out his knife on instinct, though he knew there was little chance of escape; there wasn't much fighting or running from those guns.

He glanced back at Raylan as the guards prepared to shoot, contemplating attacking one of them as a distraction so that maybe at least she could get away.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:25 am 

At his words he wondered if that was why her mother had been so dedicated to keeping their little family hidden away. She was in hiding, on the run for stealing her away and hiding her from the labs. Just as she was about to ask how many there were that was like the two of them she heard a branch snap nearby. Chills shot through her as she heard crackling voices. "What is that?" She asked turning with him to see people as broad as her brothers if not more so.

The fear that had found her when she had noticed him flying above her had started to recede as they had been talking, only now it felt as though it had come back and multiplied. She had never seen anyone but her brothers that was so broad, and the weapons they carried were obviously for more than hunting a wild deer, with Jack pulling a blade she could only guess that the weapons were meant for them. "I'm guessing these are the people you escaped." she finally stuttered realizing that she had stepped up closer to him as if it would make the situation easier.

Turning she watched as one man tried stepping closer to her. she curled her arms in and thought about a jumping take off, depending on how quick they were to aim, she could make it, but with how many there were she did the math, she had a ten percent chance of not getting hit if she did try to run. "Jack?" she asked quietly wondering if the promise of an Apple pie was really going to be the last thing she had left her brothers and Mother with at her end.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:38 am 

"Yeah, some of them." Jack answered. He decided attacking was useless, just as the first of the guards pulled the trigger and he felt the sting of a dart in his side. He opened his wings as if shielding her with them, deciding to at least look like he was trying to do something even though he knew they were trapped.

The guards began circling around to surround them, and Jack assumed it'd only be a few moments before they shot her as well. "Don't try to fly. You'll only get hurt." He told her. If she did, they'd probably all take shots at her and if she was unlucky more than one would hit, or if not then she'd crash to the ground when the drug took effect; these guards were too well trained to all miss their target, given how many of them there were. As he said that, things were already getting blurry and he stumbled, trying not to fall over.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:57 am 

Hearing the thud of something hitting hard she turned in time to see a little red dart sticking out of Jack's side. Hearing that these were the people he had been running from seemed to make her feel numb. With his warning adding to it she felt a sting in her right thigh as she had turned towards him. Sinking to her knees and feeling hopeless she counted to twelve before the world started to spin around her. Pulling the small piece of plastic from her leg she looked at him. "What's gonna happen?" she managed as two blurry figures started moving closer to her as her eyes got darker. The only thought to run through her mind was that what every was in that dart was a hell of a lot stronger than the medicine her mother had given her when her and her brothers had gotten sick. She could tell it was effecting him, but it was getting harder to stay awake with every second. Her limbs were getting heavier and she wondered how many times he had been shot with one of these.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:37 am 

"Pass out... Wake up in the lab.. Not sure from there, not good. Will find you." Jack managed, feeling dizzy and using his wings in part to support himself before he blacked out completely.
- Skipping Time -
Waking up a while later, the first thing he saw as he opened his eyes was the white tile and headache inducing bright light of the lab, and he grumbled as he sat up and looked around the room. He was glad to see that the guards had left him in his normal clothes for now, though his knife was gone, and what was more they had left the two of them in the same room. Good, that meant he didn't have to find her. Since his body was a bit bigger he'd recovered a little faster, so he waited for her to wake up as well, wincing at the headache and dizziness that were the typical side effects of the drug they'd been given.

While he waited, he looked around some more, noting that the room they were in seemed bigger than usual and the cot they'd both been placed on was more like a hospital bed than the table like metal cots he'd remembered from being in the lab before. That was the only furniture in the room, as he'd expected, and the only feature on the walls was a locked metal door with a window in it.

The survey of the room done, he focused his attention back on Raylan, watching her for signs that she was waking up, as he knew it shouldn't be long now. He hoped she wouldn't freak out too badly about being here, since he'd probably need her help if they were to escape.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:38 pm 

Hearing his words she wanted to panic but didn't have it in her. Feeling as she fulling went down she started to feel as though she was floating sinking into the darkness around her like a hot bubble bath.

Climbing out of the heat she felt the cold hard surface beneath her. Her head was pounding with the voice of a thousand drums, groaning as the light burned her eyes at first wince. She tried to push herself up only to curl into a smaller ball as the room spun. "What is wrong with me?" she groaned stretching out on her stomach she turned her head towards the only other sound nearby, "Jack?" she mumbled blinking until her eyes started adjusting to the light. "Where are we?" she asked not liking how she was feeling or the strong sterile smell of their surroundings.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:45 pm 

"You'll be alright, the sedatives just have some side effects." He said, seeing that she seemed worse off than him in that respect. "This is the lab. It might be surprising, but we've actually got a somewhat better room than normal. This even passes as a real bed." Jack said, as if he was used to being here; he sort of was, he'd spent the first fifteen years of his life in a place like this, and he'd been back a few times since. He was still watching her, somewhat concerned.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:09 pm 

Thinking that the tiny little dart had caused this kind of headache she decided that she would take her brothers arguing over this any day. She pushed herself up to her knees and started looking around. "This doesn't look like much of a lab." she said thinking of the science labs she had read about in books, where were the beakers the test tubes, the nice people dressed in white? Turning towards him she tried to think around the headache.

"So what is our role here? what do we do, why drug us and drag us in to leave us in the middle of the floor?" she asked not entirely sure she wanted to hear the answers. The room was cold, there was no color but white and silver even darkness seemed to run from this place.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:29 pm 

"We're the experiments. At some point someone is probably going to come in and get one of us for some kind of tests. They're probably letting us recover for now." Jack said. He wondered for how long the scientists would leave them alone, and what the tests were going to be like this time, as well as why they were placed together in this abnormal room. "Something's different this time, though. I'm not sure what's going on, but this room is different from the ones I've been in before."