All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:03 pm 

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man

Medals: 6
Longest RP (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) 3rd Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (2)

Barnum hadn’t intended to be away for so long, but one thing had led to another and the trip had been a little longer than expected. When he had handed things over to Phillip to handle until he got back, Barnum had only intended to be away for a few weeks at most. Scouting the area for new acts, and inspiration for the show when he got back, keep things fresh and exciting for those new to the circus, and those who had seen it since day one. He had gotten some names, followed a few leads given to him by locals, and realized just how fast word had spread about his circus when it was brought to his attention. Locals in some of the places he visited recognized him, wanting to meet the man himself after having seen or heard about the show from relatives or friends who had.

So naturally when someone had tipped him off of a possible ‘freak’ needed some help further north, he couldn’t say no. It had been a wild goose chase if anything, but he had been able to show his family the sights of the country, something other than home and what they had grown up with. All this had extended his trek by a fair amount, forcing Barnum to have a note sent back to Phillip to inform him of this. No use in getting him all worried that Barnum had taken off.

So that when he finally returned home, exhausted, and in desperate need of a good night’s sleep, Barnum had done just the opposite. He had made sure the girls were tucked into their beds, his wife having already gone to bed, before slipping out. The carriage took him to the dockyard, giving Barnum the chance to wake up a little more on the short walk the rest of the way to the grounds. When the colourful circus tent came into view, the last few guests from that night’s show walking back in the direction of their homes and carriages, Barnum almost missed the large poster stuck on the wall as he walked past. Stopping, he backtracked, standing in front of the poster and examining it in the dull light cast by the lanterns along the side of the road.

It depicted a series of people of various sizes and appearances, with large lettering advertising a freak show in the very city Barnum’s own show operated in. Ripping the poster down, Barnum took a closer look at it, not recognizing the name printed across the top of it. He would ask Phillip about it, if this show had been in town long, he might know a thing or two about it. Walking into the tent, Barnum easily found the man he was looking for.

“Phillip! How have things been?” Barnum asked, crossing the floor to stand next to his partner. He nodded to the troupe members he passed on the way before turning his full attention to Phillip. “Also, I found this up on the wall just past the grounds.” He said, handing the poster over. “Any idea what that’s about?”

"Aster: Semi-master of Procrastination and Sage of Multitasking" ~ Yue
"Step aside Doctor Who, we have Asterous now~" ~ PaperMoon

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:09 am 

just passing through

Blog: View Blog (1)

Philip was in charge of the show while Barnum was away on his trip and everything was going great they had more people coming to the show every night and there was nobody calling them freaks and telling them to leave. Philip was amazed by how Barnum had taken this group of people and brought them into the spotlight. Heck Barnum had even convinced him to join the circus even when Philip had it all an inheritance and a job he somewhat liked but he sacrificed everything for Barnum and it was better then Philip could have ever hoped it to be.
This next show was like any other but Philip had noticed someone new in the stands that he had never seen before after the show Philip walked up to this man “It is great to see a new face in the stands may I ask where you heard about us”. The man smiled “I heard of this show when I first came here and I just wanted to see it for myself and I couldn’t believe it you have an amazing group of freaks working for you if you ever feel like selling them just come and find me.” Philip didn’t like how this man talked about the members that he loved to call family “sir I’m afraid that none of them are for sale like they are some sort of property” the man scoffed and turned his back on Philip “if you ever change your mind you know where to find me”.

The next morning Philip stood in the ring in the middle of the room thanking people for coming to the show and encouraging them to tell their friends about it. Philip turned around to face the man he knew well “Barnum it’s good to see you too things have been good we have more people showing up everyday” Philip looked over the poster. “Oh that ya that guy was in the stands one day and asked if we were interested in selling any of our as he said “freaks” to him.” Philip took the slip of paper he had written down the mans address and number “ I personally don’t like this guy he just seems more interested in the troupe members then the show itself and I have heard about his attractions as some people tell me that he doesn't even treat them like people and harms them if they step out of line and the fact that people actually go to see them it just makes me uncomfortable”.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:30 pm 

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man

Medals: 6
Longest RP (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) 3rd Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (2)

Thankfully things still seemed to be in order and running smoothly. Barnum saw many familiar faces as the show finished, both from the troupe and those from the community who just never seemed to tire of the show. From the looks of things, the place still seemed to be quite popular, still drawing in the crowds, and providing entertainment and wonder for all involved.

Phillip, despite his hesitation when first starting up with the circus owner, had taken to it easily, almost naturally. Barnum himself had watched a few of the shows the younger man had put on, and had always strongly encouraged him before and after. Hearing from Phillip himself how things were going only confirmed what Barnum had gathered on his own, but the news still brought a smile to his face.

“That’s great! Glad to see things haven’t died off in by absence.” The man laughed, bumping his elbow to Phillips as he looked over the poster. Barnum crossed his arms and watched the last few people leave the tent as Phillip examined it, seeming to know something about this man and his display. At what was said, the smile slipped from Barnum’s face and he directed Phillip towards his office. It looked exactly as he had left it, although maybe a little more organized, as the ringmaster took a seat in his chair.

“Sell them? Like they’re some sort of…” Barnum tried to come up with the right word. “Commodity?” He finally spat, clearly not pleased. “They’re not things! These are human beings who deserve to be treated as such.” Quickly standing, Barnum paced the length of the small room. What Phillip continued to tell him only angered the man further. The piece of paper he had been given had been crushed in his fist but Barnum smoothed it out so as to read the name and address scribbled down. Silently, he dropped it on the desk and regarded Phillip.

“When’s tomorrow's show scheduled? I think we need to pay this man a little visit.” Barnum would have gone alone, but knew that would likely end horribly. Having Phillip come along with may help to hold both his temper in check, and actually get something done considering this man had already interacted with him before.

“But first, why don’t we go get ourselves a drink and you can fill me in on what all’s been going on.”

"Aster: Semi-master of Procrastination and Sage of Multitasking" ~ Yue
"Step aside Doctor Who, we have Asterous now~" ~ PaperMoon