All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gaea/Dragon Lands 1x1
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:35 pm 

Blog: View Blog (0)

Riu was lost. Not that that was hard considering she was in a world she had never been to before. Her mother had shoved her through a portal, something Riu didn't even know she could do, telling Riu that she had to find someone to help her. Of course, Riu hadn't heard who that someone was, so Riu was doomed.

The small bag of coins would quickly diminish, Riu knew. There wasn't a lot of coin in the bag, and they all seemed to be a small denomination. Riu had never even seen coins that looked like these either. The stamp on them wasn't in a language she quite recognized either. The letters were the same as the Treaty language back home. But the words themselves were unrecognizable.

Riu froze. The sound of wood being nailed echoed past her through the trees. All the interactions she had had so far had been unpleasant ones with the military. Riu had made a point of avoiding them after that. Her experience back home made that easy enough at least. This wasn't military though. She pulled herself up into a tree and found a vantage point that allowed her to see the source of the noise. A man was driving a wooden stake into the ground.

Riu dropped down and came upon the restaurant from the road. "Hello." She said somewhat tentatively.

"Ah hello. I haven't seen you around here before. How are you doing? Can I help you?"

"I am doing okay," Riu spoke the local language well enough though she maybe spoke a bit archaic. "I am afraid that I cannot read your language though." Riu pointed to the sign.

"Ah, no worries. It's a help wanted sign." The man paused and looked Riu over. "I suppose I should take it down. It's already done its job." The man grinned, and with one hand pulled the sign back out of the ground. "What is your name kid?"

"Riu Kovac." She wanted to add that she wasn't a kid, not by any means. She also wanted to ask what his name was, but she resisted the urge.

"Then come on in Riu. I'll teach you how to read our language a bit, at least a menu. And you'll take orders of incoming soldiers. War is a nasty thing, but my restaurant is neutral territory." The next couple of days Riu spent learning how to read the menu; it was close enough what the restaurant proprietor called Old Meanish, and Riu called Treaty, that she had little problem with it. She spoke still a more archaicly than most, but she wasn't struggling as hard as she had.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:25 pm 

The lithe little shirohaku woman skidded under a cart before leaping to the top of the building beyond. She heard the volley of arrows connect with the wooden cart as her sandals touched down on the edge of the roof. She propels herself forward, reaching the opposite edge of the building in one leap and proceeds to leap to and across the next roof. Not wanting to be predictable she drops into an alley behind that one and pulls her cloak around her, slipping into the market. This area had been torn up recently and her safe house was compromised.

Sora curses herself for her poor judgement. She never should have come so close to the edge of the neutral territory. The lines were shifting again and she had a feeling that Maenon was trying to take Serenity again, for the gods-only-know-how-many-th time. Warmongering bastards. Not that she really believed Tianguo and their propaganda and veritable brainwashed patriotism was much better. That was a debate for another time though.

At least her mission had been successful. Retrieving this book was important. She clutches her bag a bit tighter. Errol, the ass, was getting worse about the poisons he used against them and she needed as much information as she could get. The medicine in this book was said to draw out near any poison introduced into and species that had a stomach. It would be yet another way for her to help keep people alive and in the end, it was worth the risk. Now if only she can make it out of here without being captured she can call it a success as well.

Weaving in and out of the stands and people at the market she makes sure to keep herself covered. Her bright golden blonde hair tended to stand out. Not for the first time she wonders if she should just dye it brown. She knew though that it was one of her more recognizable traits and her allies and patients found her by it as often as her enemies did. In the end she can't waste the resources for that anyway. The water and chemicals weren't hard to come by but she was always short on time. Always.

She sees the brutes looking for her heading down the street and she quickly ducks down a side path. She finds herself at the very edge of town with the scouts closing in. She has a snap decision to make. The wound in her side will heal eventually but it would be killer to try and fight with it. She spies and older looking pub and ducks inside. She sees a young woman there and gives her a slightly wild eyed look. The blood from her wound has run all down her front by now. "Please don't tell them I'm here!" She begs before ducking under one of the cloth covered tables. If she had to fight then so be it but she wanted to avoid it right now if she could. Not a minute after she dives under the table Maenish soldiers come through the door.

They look at Riu and and hold up a flyer before dismissing the idea that she was the one they were looking for. One of them speaks. "You seen a blonde little cat girl today?"

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:43 pm 

War was a grotesque thing. Riu had already seen too much of it before ending up in this part of the world. She couldn't say why her mother had chosen this place. But whatever the reason Riu would hopefully discover it one day.

The blonde woman was covered in blood. Riu figured she would be dead soon, but she also knew what would happen if the woman was captured by soldiers. Riu clenched her right fist behind her back. "Uh, sorry I haven't seen her." The combination of her curse and working in a pub was not easy, but she had found phrases that worked well enough. "I have a menu for you if you would like." Riu pasted a smile, a trained one that didn't show her carnivore teeth. The soldiers were uninterested though.

"No. Please report if you see this cat girl though." They handed her a copy of the flier.

"Will do." Riu, took a look at the flier as if she was seriously considering the face on it. And then the soldiers were gone, off to look other places. "They are gone," Riu said to the woman. "I'll get the first aid kit."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:38 pm 

Sora sighs in relief as she hears them leave. Most of the people around here wouldn't puss on a Maenish soldier if he was on fire but there was also a very high bounty on her head and she knew it. She comes out when the girl tells her she can. "Thank you for that and the kit but don't bother. I have a better one. My name is Sora by the way, and you are?"

She clears the table cloth off so she doesn't get blood on it before sanitizing the table. No need to get and infection now, that's just what she would need. She washes her hands and pulls out her supplies from Me. Bag. She pulls up her shirt and clips it in flash to reveal an absolutely horrendous gash in her side. It was astounding the woman was still on her feet yet she seemed blaze about the whole thing.

"Abdominal laceration, no break to the abdominal cavity. Debris present..." She murmurs to herself more than anything. Then as if she isn't cleaning out her own wound she flashes Riu a smile. "Pardon my manners. It's not as bad as it looks. I'll heal up in no time. I am a doctor, a healer by trade. Sora of Serenity actually so yes that flyer is about me. Thank you for not turning me in." She cleans out the spinters and dirt with ease before applying a salve to the area. "I don't know why Mean on thinks killing one little healer will help their cause but whatever." She may have heard rumors about this woman most think of her as some sort of phantom heroine.

"When I'm done with this maybe I can have a look at that curse on your hand. I can feel the negative energy from here. I can't promise I can do anything but I can take a look at least." She says almost offhandedly.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:39 pm 

"My name is Riu." She is human looking, her hair a bright red color and dark brown eyes. When she smiles, sharp teeth are visible. Riu glanced at the flyer she had been given. The drawing on it was roughly the girl in front of her. "We are neutral territory." Riu gave a small shrug. It was true the restaurant owner on several occasions had refused to give information to either side. That had earned him some trust. Riu appreciated the idea of it, having fought in her own war. The woman mentioned her curse. It was covered by gloves, so she was surprised. But Sora explained she had felt the magic energy. Something Riu did not know of but sounded like it was possible.

"I doubt you can fix it, but if you want to look at it, you may." When Sora was ready Riu pulled off her glove and let her look at it. It looked like a burn and there were characters on it that Riu knew to be the language of her father and grandfather. She could speak it but had never learned how to read it. A surprising feat considering how many of Riu's own fliers had been written in the language. The curse she knew perfectly well. It would not allow her to ask questions. Each question she asked brought her closer to death. A question asked eventually faded, but if she asked too many in too short of a period the black mark would spread on her body until it burned her to death. Many spies in her homeland had died by similar curses, but none had been so personal.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:52 am 

Sora holds her hands over the wound and it shimmers gold for a moment before the salve and the wound both vanish. It was her own body so her magic was particularly effective. It drained her a bit but it was worthwhile to be able to move around without the wound. She pulls on a clean shirt and goes to take a look at Rui's hand. It's the least she can do for the young woman that quite possibly just saved her life. Besides she would have looked at it anyway. Sora didn't take sides in the war. She healed those that asked for it no matter who they were and she kicked the ads of those that threatened her home. That was just life in the neutral territories and one either got used to it or died. Sora had lived here her whole life and she was perfectly acquainted with the viloence of living here. Too bad she couldn't and wouldn't live anywhere else. There were people depending on her arter all.

She walks over toward Rio and takes her hand in her own. The marks seem to be in some form of foreign language. That is really saying something considering how many languages Sora knows. Another necesity of living in neutral territory. Probing with her own energies she can feel how malevolent it is. "Someone with a lot of hate cast this. Had to be in person. It restricts your speech somehow, don't bother trying to tell me I know you can't. If you speak enough of the forbidden topic it causes pain and eventual death. Damn nasty. This language looks familiar but I am not fluent. It is almost like the markings from the frostic landerin of Maenon." She muses. "Hm... Seeing Rui's normal appearance and quickly eyeballing her as well as probing her aura she tilts her head to the side.

Knowing a paitient's species is important to diagnosing them. However she can't seem to place this one. Similar to a lizard yet with shapeshifting and thus and alternate form. She could feel the other shape in her aura. It takes her a minute to place it and her eyes blow wide. "My god, are you a dragon!? Like a real dragon? I've never met one!" She looks so excited.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:19 pm 

"Yeah, the person who cursed me hates me a lot." Riu pulled the glove back on as Sora eyed her.
"My god, are you a dragon!? Like a real dragon? I've never met one!" Riu looked up at her, fear in her eyes for a moment. Her mother had warned her not to tell anyone she was a dragon.

"How-" She started to ask and instantly the curse activated. Pain seared up her arm and was written clearly on her face. She had to know who this woman was, how could she possibly know? Riu closed the question from her mind though. Shutting it away. She tried to come up with a way to find out, but that was the point of the spell. It kept her from asking questions, from being a good spy.

"Yes, I am a dragon." Riu paused trying to form her question without actually asking it. "Please don't tell anyone." She ended lamely.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:45 am 

Sora, ever observant as she was notices the activation of the curse as soon ask Rio started to ask her how she knew. Well, at least she was pretty sure that was the question. She rolls it over in her mind and thinks about the way the curse was set up. Well isn't that a ****ing? "You can't ask questions." She nods more to herself than to Rui. Thinking it over she grabs her bag and pulls out a mortar and pestol adding various herbs to it. She continues speaking as she works.

"I won't tell anyone about your species or your curse. Call it doctor paitent confidentiality or courtesy for sparing me. As for how I knew, well my Mother was a healer like me. Lily of Serenity. She was much better trained and well traveled than I am. She knew a couple people... like you. At least two if I remember correctly. I have a couple of books on it. She was the one that told me they weren't merely myth or legend but real and living in another land. She said some could travel here, some were exiled here, and some had been left behind when the transition over was made."

She adds a bit of oil and other liquids to the mix and soon she is working the concoction into a fine paste. "However the heart of such a creature is a sought after rareity said to lend power to those that consume it. So I would not want to put anyone's life in danger. It w a one of the main reasons for them to be hunted to begin with." She hopes she covered any questions Rui may have. With the paste done she slaps it into a jar and seals it handing it to Rui. "Here, more of a treatment than a cure, it helps ease the pain and symptoms of the majority of curses. Slather some on whenever it starts to hurt. I'm afraid this sort of intricate casting is not my speacialty I usually treat wounds - physical and mental or curses that are used in battle like blindness, rotting, slow, that sort of thing. I will keep looking though. My Mother was much more talented with this sort of thing and I might find something to help in her notes. I have a few friends I can contact about it as well if you like." She says.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:18 pm 

Riu's eyes widened a bit as Sora said her mother's name - Lily. The last word Riu's mother had said to her as she shoved her through the portal to this world had been about finding someone. The name Lily sounded right, but Riu couldn't be sure. She hid her expression before Sora looked back up from the mixture she was making.
"However the heart of such a creature is a sought-after rarity said to lend power to those that consume it. So I would not want to put anyone's life in danger. It was one of the main reasons for them to be hunted, to begin with." Sora explained. It was the reason why Haru had been so adamant to Riu not to tell anyone, and now Riu understood. In fact, Riu suddenly understood hundred of thousand years of her people's history. She made a soft oh sound.

"Thank you. I appreciate this. I would also appreciate any help you can give me with it in the future. I cannot return home with this." She flexed her hand. Riu felt the need to explain a little to Sora, the woman deserved it, and maybe it would help her find a cure. "My grandfather did it. He wants me dead and possibly assumes I am dead already." Sora was using the past tense whenever she spoke of Lily, there was no way Sora's mother could help her unless there was something in her notes. "I sympathize with your loss." Riu's mother was still alive, but she had no way to contact her. Everyone she ever knew might as well be dead, even Alice. Riu slammed a lid on that thought. "If you need help let me know. I was a rebel back home." Being a bar wench wasn't her style it was just what put a roof over her head. If she could help Sora with her war then maybe there was hope back home too. A stupid pipe dream, but something that gave Riu a glimmer of hope.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:41 pm 

Sora had heard of family turning on one another time and again. War was a harsh mistress and little was left sacred. She could be glad at least that the only family she ever knew, her Mother, had loved her unconditionally. Still, she knew nothing of her Father or brother, any of her grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins... nothing. She had an old photo of her Father and brother but that was it. If any of them were still alive they were probably in the Rurohakushi or Tianguo. After all, her Father was Rurhaku and her mother was Shirohaku. Maybe they had rejected her Mother because of who she loved and that's why they were here in the neutral territories. Sora never really got the chance to ask her. There was so little time in between her training and tending the wounded and Sora never had the guts to drag up something that was likely very painful.

"I-It was a while ago now." She didn't look at Rui as she said it. Most would assume this was grief but to be honest, she felt bad about lying to this woman that had offered up some very important secrets to her. Her secret, her most carefully guarded secret, she would never tell anyone though. She shakes it off and smiles at Rui. "Well won't he be disappointed when we fix you up and send you back huh? I know my Mother took a few trips to your homeland so there might be something in her notes on how to get back there as well.I'll send out a few letters to people I know and... what type of writing is that? I need to know what I'm asking about..." She copies down the lettering for the curse exactly from memory. While she had never met one she did know that there were some dragons that were exiled here from time to time, they might know what it says.

Sora is surprised by the offer to help. "I'm not fighting a war." Figuring that Rui probably knew very little about the history of this land she decides to give her a quick overview. "The violence that drove your people away started 500,000 years ago with the 1st Grand Sage of Maenon - Lubu. He is personally responsible for the extinction of 432 sentient species. Those fleeing from the lands that were conquered it what is now modern day Maenon mostly congregated in the land called Tianguo. Their King is a Shirohaku by the name of Hirokumo and he is as old as the war itself. The current Grand Sage is called Nayanel - he's the 12th. Those two are the ones at war and have been for 500,000 years. This area, the neutral territory, is composed of a bunch of smaller nations that can never find stability because those two use the land between them as their person warzone. Both countries are disliked here but Maenon is hated a bit more because Tianguo always puts a nice spin on their actions and tend to be more underhanded about their ruthlessness." She explains to Rui.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:54 pm 

"It is the hieroglyphic writing of the Fire Dragons." There was a bit of pain in Riu's voice as she said that, something lost that she knew could never be hers. She wanted to know more about Lily, and to be honest Sora. They both seemed strange. Sora explained the war that was going on and Riu nodded. She had picked up a bit of information here and there on what it was about, but the true history had been lost to most. It also was impossible to find out anything when you couldn't ask questions.

"Thank you. I know you are not fighting the war. I am offering my help with other things. You are running for a reason. I have spent the last, nearly 2000 years, trying to take down a tyrant. I can do nothing here." She gestured to her uniform, simple black clothes under an apron. "You are putting band-aids when you want to do more." Riu wasn't certain Sora wanted to do more, but who had seen so much war and couldn't want to. It also wasn't the first time she had tried to convince someone to join a resistance. Was there even a resistance here? Riu hadn't heard of any cohesive group.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:45 am 

Sora heavily considered Riu's words. She couldn't imagine dedicating 2000 years - that sounded like a lot, to overthrowing a tyrant. Then again she spent her entire life throwing out unwanted conquerors. She both was and wasn't a resistance fighter. She resisted any and all attempts by others to claim her village and the land it rested on, but she really couldn't do anything to put an end to the senseless violence. No one knew how to end the war. The two sides always seemed so evenly matched, one would get the upper hand every now and again but the other would rise back up to the challenge eventually. She figured she could tell the dragon woman at lest what her part was in all this and why there were men after her - not that she ever fully understood it herself. She simply listened to what her Mother had told her so many years ago. A promise was a promise after all and she would keep her promise.

"I am a resistance fighter... sort of. My Mother, Lily, came to this area a long, long time ago. Forgive me because time is not the forte of any feline. She was called here by the war and wanting to tend to all the wounded. She set up in a village known as Serenity. She traveled a lot, following plagues and whatnot to provide relief and help and curb the spread among other things. Eventually, after I was born she settled here permanently. She said she discovered something in our little village that if Maenon got a hold of it would mean the complete destruction of Tianguo. She never told me what it was but she said that the village needed to be protected and kept as free territory. She healed everyone that came to her needing it, from either side, and she protected the village with her barriers. She trained me to do the same. The last thing I ever promised her was that I would keep the village safe in her stead - and i have." She says to Riu.

"So in essence, I sort of fight back by putting on band aides. I heal all those that come to me, and I keep the village of Serenity safe and free. I have most of this area wired so that I can avoid the soldiers from either side that take to hunting me. Occasionally they up my bounty. It doesn't really bother me though. They haven't succeeded yet and i don't plan to let them. I have a promise to keep after all. I'm not really the gung-ho rebellious sort I'm afraid." She gives Riu a bit of a sheepish smile here. She wasn't really the sort of guerrilla fighter that went in and took down nations and what not...

Last edited by The Purple Priestess on Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:42 pm 

Riu quickly shoved her curiosity of whatever was in Serenity village away. There was no way Sora could even answer the question. "Makes sense, but neutrality is as bad as helping. The Water tribe back home are neutral, which helped my family out, but if my grandfather had walked into town and demanded me, they would have turned me over just as easily. They are stagnant, and stagnant water is bad water." She hoped that made sense. Sora didn't have a chance to respond, as at that moment a handful of customers came in demanding Riu's attention. She thanked Sora quietly and with carefully worded greetings got orders from the customers.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:33 am 

Sora was rather moved by Riu's words. She had always known that doing nothing would gain her nothing. Tolerating abuse in power was nearly as bad as committing the act. She had always stood up for people, been one to take action, so why had she never thought of trying to stop the war? Perhaps it was simply because she didn't really know how one would do that. She had a lot to think about and she didn't really think that she could give Riu and adequate answer at the moment. Not to mention, the longer she stayed here the more likely she was to be discovered. No doubt they would double back soon. So while Riu was serving her latest round of guests, Sora slips away silently. She would surely return soon... when she had time to consider all that was said, contact and few people, and wasn't being chased by the Maenish military.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:45 pm 

Riu was busy after that. She spent time learning a local language under the tutelage of the owner of the restaurant. He was patient and knew Riu had issues asking questions so never gave her a hard time. He made sure she understood each thing before moving on and quizzed her even when she didn't expect it. After a while, her strange accent that defined her as other started to fade, though sometimes she used terms that were more archaic.

Days turned into weeks and weeks into months, and soon Riu was antsy. She hated doing nothing, and while work kept her busy, she felt useless. At least her skill of not asking questions directly had strengthened and she barely ever slipped up in normal conversations anymore.

It was her off time that the most draining. She spent time practicing her sword skills, and she started slipping into and around military installations. For practice and to get a feel for how the military in Gaea worked compared to her world. Riu was used to a more guerrilla warfare over the simple formations that the armies here used. She didn't think their formations would be useful against her grandfather.

Finally, something interesting happened almost a full six months after Riu and Sora had met. A small group of military men came in to eat. "I've seen you before haven't I?" He asked Riu as she brought them their drinks.

"I can't say what you've seen, but I spend most of my time here."

"No, it wasn't here." The man frowned. "I'm certain I saw you in a tree or something. Captian thought I was seeing things, but I know I saw you. Were you spying on us?"

"Spying would imply purpose; maybe I was reading a book. Or maybe you saw someone else."

"You were writing. I saw you, and when I drew the Captain's attention, you were gone. Not even the branch was moving. It was as if you hadn't been there at all."

"Probably wasn't." Riu was getting irritated, but she remembered the incident and was sure the man wasn't incorrect. She had in fact been watching them do drills, and when a man had called attention to her tree, she had bolted out of there so quickly she had almost forgotten her notebook.

"Outta arrest you for spying." He mumbled into his drink.

"Leave the girl alone." One of the others said nudging him slightly. "She's a good waitress; she's clearly no spy."

"She's foreign." A third said. "Did you hear her talking when she first showed up? Where are you from?"

"Far away, my whole family is dead. I ran away to find a new life. I don't want to stir the pot." Riu lied.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:01 pm 

Sora had been looking for a good moment to speak to Riu all day that day. She had brought some more cream for her patient as well as word from a friend of hers that there was an exiled 'fire lizard thing' a bit to the North of here that might be able to read what the curse on her hand says. However the pub was busier than it had been in the past and she had been waiting quite a while for when it was empty and they could talk. She waited under cover outside, peeking into the window on occasion. She was very skilled at this since it was hardly the first time she had done so. Maybe not with this pub and Riu, but in general.

When the soldiers start talking about her dragon friend being a spy she knows she needs to do something to get them off her case. She knew Riu wasn't a spy since she wasn't even from this world but more than one innocent person had been executed without trial. Not that Sora would have let her hang for such a thing even if she were guilty anyway. The healer didn't take sides in this war and had no intention of doing so now. Riu was a patient and an ally though - not to mention a potential new friend and she wasn't going to let them start a witch hunt.

A ways down the road she can see a chicken vendor just arriving in town to sell his product. All of them had been neatly packed up in a large cage, maybe 30 of them in all. Young healthy young things that would do nicely. She rummages around in her bag and pulls out a slingshot. Picking up a rock from the ground she takes aim and shoots the lock off. The cage door swings open and the chickens waste no time in leaping free, causing a small and harmless commotion. As expected the owner freaks out and asks for help gathering them.

As the soldiers leave the building to help she smiles in silent victory. They would probably forget all about hassling Riu when they came back later but wrangling hat many chickens would probably take quite a bit of time. She slips into the pun, tucking her slingshot away as she does so. "Hey Riu, I have some good news. Long time no see, in case you forgot my name is Sora and I came in here bleeding all over the place about 2 seasons ago." Not that she really thought Riu had forgotten her, she tended to be quite memorable and it wasn't a problem she often encountered.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:08 pm 

There was a commotion. The soldiers all looked outside the pub and saw the chickens running about, and then there were out of the pub to deal with it. Riu sighed thankful for the diversion. Of course, now she had several tabs that would have to be added to.

"Hello, Sora. I had not forgotten you. It is a pleasure. We can talk as I clean." While it was technically a statement, the spirit of it was a question. Riu waited for a beat for Sora to nod and then got a broom to sweep under where the soldiers had been eating. "I have been learning. My speaking isn't as odd or stilted. My homeland's trade language wasn't too far off from your common. It just took some practice to learn the terms of the era. You said you had news for me."