All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Refuge of Omens
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:56 pm 

Location: I'm in the wind,trees, and rain. Everywhere, yet no where all at once.
Blog: View Blog (0)

One could say the capitol of Egraine was perfect. It's streets clean, and the people pleasant. An all around safe place to live, and thrive. That person would be wrong. While the city was certainly all those things on the surface, it didn't take but a second glance to see the rot underneath that was the grotesque mistreatment, and uncaring attitude towards those poor fools who lived in low town. Flint regarded such treatment as though those who acted that way thought, if they ignored it it would go away. He knew, of course that the common masses were idiots. It was a thought that made stealing from them so much easier. Why bother with their feelings when they didn't care for his, eh? And they made themselves such easy targets. Always distracting themselves, and leaving their pockets, and coats unguarded. Today was no different.

The streets of the marketplace were, as always busy, and crowded. Just what Flint needed for a perfect get away. He had already made away with quite a catch, and he'd have to leave soon before the afternoon rush died down, but a few more hits wouldn't hurt, surely. A smirk creeped onto Flint's face as he spotted the bright gold, and red of a noble, and one he knew as well. Lord Tobias Cromwell, an heir to a wealthy family, part of the merchants council if he recalled correctly. He must have been visiting his families businesses. Perfect. Flint hunched over slightly, and pulled out an old map of the city, pretending to busy himself with studying it as he walked straight into the lord, bumping just enough into him to slip his hand into his coat pocket.

Tobias grunted, and Flint flailed in mock apology, eyes wide and words stuttered. "My Lord! I am terribly sorry! I didn't see you, clumsy me, please forgive me," he said, reaching up with his free hand to grasped Tobias on his arm, directing his attention to it as he slipped his hand back out of his pocket, and safely into his own. The lord sniffed in distaste and pulled his arm free, glaring at the spot before waving a hand to silence Flints rambling. "That is enough. It is fine, but watch where you're going," he said, already seeming disinterested with the event. Flint nodded, bowing slightly, still rambling out the proper words, before he slipped away into the crowd, and down an alley. He waited till he was safely away from the market to pull out the folded letter he had snatched off the man.

"Hmm...What's this now,"he asked, looking the envelope over. The crest on the seal was one he was not familiar with. A lion with a sneaks tail? He assumed it must have been from a guild, or family from another region, and was about to toss it, now sour over the apparent waste of time when something stopped him. A feeling of apprehension washed over him, and with a sigh shoved the letter back inside his coat, and made his way home.

When he was safely home, a small hovel in the center of the lower town, he slipped out of his coat, and sank into a chair, retrieving the letter as he did so. Flint stared at it, eyes squinting untrusting at it, before he shrugged and ripped the envelope open, pulling out a thick piece of parchment, and...was that gold? Flint frowned and sat back, reading the letter carefully.

My Dear Tobias,

I do hope this letter finds you well. It has been so long since we have last been together, and I do miss our talks. I hope we will be able to speak soon, but that is neither here, nor there. I am not writing you to lament my growing displeasure at being so far from you. No I write to assure you. You worry too much, my love, and I promise all is well. The plan is coming along, and the time almost upon us. I hope that this letter can put your fears at ease, and I hope it can convince you to join us tonight for the feast. I have attached the invitation along with this letter, and I do wish to see you there.

With love, and forever yours,

Mallie.

Flint pulled a face, and folded the letter, not interested much in the affairs of some nobles, but this feast did entice that small greedy part of him. Who ever this Lady 'Mallie' was had indeed sent an invitation along with. He could use it to get in and make a small fortune. At the thought of stealing from greedy nobles Flint laughed. This was going to be perfect! Oh but what to wear?

Please excuse my slow replies. I currently work 6 or 7 days a week, and now with Hurricane Irma effecting my county I wont know when I might have access to power next. Hopefully things will get fixed soon. Thank you for understanding!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
 Post subject: Re: Refuge of Omens
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:48 pm 

Suuuuper bored, hmu with RP ideas ^^

Alma calmly strolls down the hallway of the manor to her master's study. It wasn't particularly unusual for her to be called for in the middle of the day. Jerece Monrova had owned her for most of her life. He was a man that comes from a long line money, but many were unaware of where his success actually originated. Some say his family made their riches in black market dealings, but personally, he chooses to believe his ancestors were well-respected knights that were granted coin and land by the rulers of the past. He was not a particularly bad man, just slightly incompetent. He would seek out Alma's advice for legitimate things sometimes, but his requests would often be absurd. He would charge her with the task of proof reading all his letters, reorganizing his library, even occasionally asking what he should wear on an outing, or which trinket he should purchase. Such trivial things were almost aggravating to Alma, but she did as she was told.

"You called for me sir?" She sighs, gently closing the door behind her. Jerece gets up from his desk and walks over to her.

"Yes, I have a simple request of you," he starts. Alma groans inwardly, figuring he'd ask something like what tea he should have with his afternoon snack. "I need you to attend an event for me. My son has requested my presence promptly. He is thinking of marrying and wishes for me to meet his chosen before he proposes," he explains, quite pleased with the news from his son. "I trust you to properly represent me. When I return please have a report ready of the goings on," he adds, and hands her a golden invitation.

Alma accepts it with a small nod and looks down at the invitation for a brief moment. "Thank you for entrusting such a task to me sir. I will not disappoint you," she says formally and bows to him. She was relieved to actually do something of importance.

"You never do. That should be all for now," Jerece smiles and dismisses her. Alma turns on her heel to exit, the invitation in hand. "Ah, wait a moment," Jerece pipes up, stopping her in her tracks. "Which tea do you think I should have with me afternoon snack?" he asks. Alma presses her lips together tightly and narrowly avoids cursing aloud irratably.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:09 pm 

Location: I'm in the wind,trees, and rain. Everywhere, yet no where all at once.

The day soon turned to night, and with it the normal folk slipped off to bed, while those in low town bustled to life. Flint enjoyed the night life of his home, and, had he not other engagements, would have loved to slip into the little pub on the end of the street for a few drinks. It tempted him as he walked passed it, it's comfortable music, and laughter beckoning to him. From the door, a string of beautiful men and woman, a few he was well acquainted with, called to him, offering drinks and company. Flint gave a sly smile, a gentle refusal, and continued towards high town. He stopped just once to look over his attire (again) in a shop window, hoping that it was at least passable.

It had taken a good part of his day to gather the finery. It still didn't look right, but maybe no one would notice....

Yeah right, nobles not knowing quality silk? What a laugh, Flint.

He chuckled to himself, before running a hand through his hair. Even if the clothes weren't the best, he didn't worry about being found out. After all, there were plenty of 'less fortunate' nobles, what ever that meant. So, with a huff and a firm tug on his jacket, he found his way to a large building, bursting with music, and life. The front courtyard was lined with beautiful flowers, and impressive statues made of precious stone. The pathway seemed to be made of beautiful white marble, etched with swirling designs of gold.

Flint stared in awe as the pathway to the doors, large and beautiful,lit up with witch lights as he approached, lighting his way in vibrant pinks and yellows, flowing, and dancing in the air in a ostentatious display of power and wealth. He was so impressed with the show he didn't pay the door man any mind until he cleared his throat and drew his gaze to him. Flint startled when he noticed the giant. He was twice the size of Flint, and looked about as dim witted.Flint didn't know what to do at first, still put off by the mans size, but the waiting hand of the large man jogged his memory, and he fumbled in his pocket to retrieve the invitation. Dim-wit looked the golden letters over, and then stared at Flint before looking it over again. When he looked back at Flint with a suspicious glint in his eye, Flint smiled, hoping he wouldn't be found out right then and there. Luckily, it seemed the brute lost interest, and with a rough shove, the invitation was placed back in his hands, and Flint was in.

The inside was just as, if not more so, impressive. The floor was made of that same white stone, and gold patterns, and the walls reached up into an arched ceiling the with beautifully crafted woodwork. Flint had never seen so much gross display of money in one sitting before. Glancing around at the sea of men and women around him, all chatting, or dancing to the fancy music, it seemed as if he were the only one. Damn nobles. Once the novelty wore off the bitterness set in, which meant it was time to get to business.

Time to clean the suckers out. He was happy the party was in full swing. Nobody was paying much attention to him. Perfect! Putting on a charming smile, he slipped into the fray, and set about mingling.

Please excuse my slow replies. I currently work 6 or 7 days a week, and now with Hurricane Irma effecting my county I wont know when I might have access to power next. Hopefully things will get fixed soon. Thank you for understanding!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:37 pm 

Alma looks in her mirror and twists herself left and right slightly to make sure her appearance was satisfactory. Her attire was more practical than grandiose. She has found ball gowns to be terribly inconvenient. The corsets alone were enough to limit movement, much less the large, heavy skirts. Many consider her refusal to wear gowns improper, but Mr. Monrova was very forgiving due to all she does for him. And he is the only one qualified to present a relevant opinion to her anyway. The words of those she does not work under matter little to her. When putting on a gown becomes less ridiculous and time-consuming, she will gladly wear one.

She rubs her lips together to make sure crimson color was spread evenly across them. She fits her monocle over her eye and nods to herself. That should do. Her boots tap against the tiled floor as she makes her way down the hallway and out of the manor. A carriage waits outside from her with the driver holding the door open. Alma glances up at the darkening sky before stepping inside. She leans back and sinks into the plush seats. The carriage shakes slightly as it carries on down the road.

The manor is just outside the capital, so she looks on as trees become scarcer and give way to more and more buildings. Soon enough, the carriage pulls up to an incredibly expensive looking structure. She watches the highest nobility of the land streams inside. The driver stops in front of the main pathway and opens the door for her once again. She hops out and brushes herself off. It was almost disgusting how extravagant the venue was. The Monrova manor looked as though it could be a run down shack in comparison to this. Her head remains forward, but her eyes dart around to look at all the intricate details.

The bouncer hardly even gets the chance to open his mouth before Alma has the invitation in front of him. "Representative Alma Astuto, appearing for Lord Jerece Monrova who received an urgent call from his son and regretfully, could not make it in person tonight," she explains herself promptly, leaving the bouncer a bit thrown off. He just nods and gestures for her to enter. She mutters her thanks and steps into the ballroom. Nearly all the nobles are socializing in some way, as usual. She recognizes a few, as they have visited Mr. Monrova occasionally. However, she chooses not to intrude upon any conversations and hovers around the edge of the room, swaying slightly to the music.

Someone catches her eye after a bit of observation. A young man scurries around the room, making attempts to chat with several guests. He wasn't terribly distracting, more like a button on a coat that is just a slight shade different than the others. Something about the way he carries himself sets him apart from the others. She presses her lips together in thought, wondering why exactly he was not quite right. It shouldn't bother her, but any sort of abnormality in a situation like this was enough to get her fixated.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:38 am 

There was one common law within the universe; Those who viewed them selves better then the rest were stupid! Flint was amazed at how easy it was to take a ring from a Lady's hand, smiling charmingly at her while she eyed him with bored, or judging eyes. Or how much of a cake walk it was to relieve some Lord of his pocket watch while he pretended to listen to him brag about his wealth. He had been present for a little under an hour, and he had enough wealth in his pocket to buy a boat and sail away from this horrid country. It was wonderful, and probably more then he'd ever make in his life. Flint sent a silent prayer up to the gods for this beautiful opportunity while he walked towards the edge of the room. He was tempted to call it a night, and slip out the back when he was tapped on the shoulder.

"My dear sir, I don't believe we've met," came a soft voice from behind, and Flint put on a smile and turned, only to falter when he came face to face with Queen Amalia. Her gorgeous eyes stared at him, and Flint forced himself to speak. "Your majesty, I was not aware you'd be present,"he stammered, earning a laugh. "You didn't? Why, my dear, this is my party after all, which is why, little rabbit, I'm so curious as to who you are." Her gaze seemed to turn piercing, and Flint racked his brain.

Sh!t!

"Oh, I see. I apologize, my Lady. I am...a representative for Lord Cromwell. He was unable to attend you see. Some unseen business popped up, and my Lord did not tell me what this event was, only that I was to show up." At the mention of Cromwell, the queen perked up, and grabbed a hold of Flint's arm lightly. "Are you now? Did my dear Tobias send word? He's been...distant as of late, and I was hoping he might have a...response for my letter?" Flint's brain connected the dots.

The queen, is 'Mallie'?!

Flint forced his face to stay pleasant, and composed as he quickly thought of an answer. "No, I'm afraid my Lord did not send me along with a letter tonight, my queen. Perhaps I can take a message to him?" Amalia's face fell, and her grasp on Flint's arm slipped away, before she smiled at him again. "No, little rabbit, I've no words for him. Well, I do hope you enjoy the rest of the party, but don't tire your self out. The feast is about to begin. Best not to skip out before dinner." A chill ran down his spin as the air around them seemed to grow several degrees colder all of a sudden, and if Flint didn't know any better, the queens gaze seemed to be staring at him with some sort of primal hunger. He gulped, but shot her a bright smile none the less.

"My Lady, I'd never dream of it."he said with a bow. Amalia watched him a moment longer before turning and making her way towards the front of the room, where Flint could now see her husband talking with a few respected Lords. Once she was gone, Flint shuddered. That was terrifying.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:28 am 

Alma perks up as she begins to notice the man's very slight, precise movements. He plucks belongings right from people, and they take absolutely no note of it. "Degenerate," she mutters under her breath. She knew she was right to find him to be odd. How in the world did he even manage to get in such a prestigious event with no difficulty? Why was no one noticing his actions? "Nobels must be oblivious to most everything don't they," she sighs quietly to herself. A part of her had to commend him for such mastery of something, even if it was highly illegal. To infiltrate a royal event and practically steal pearls off the neck of a noble is no small task. She is well aware she should mind her own business, but such dishonesty cannot just go unchecked. Alma takes a step away from the wall, intending to confront him quietly, until a woman moves in front of her.

"Alma, darling! I did not expect to see you here!" she laughs shrilly and squeezes Alma into a near suffocating hug. Alma is quick to pull away and brush herself off.

"A-Ah, Duchess Addington, what a... pleasure," Alma forces a cordial smile. Elise Addington was quite the character. Loud and boisterous, she always sets out to draw attention to herself. She is near middle-aged at this point, but she makes it a habit to try and appear and act as if she were half of that. Many young men are tormented by her presence, as she hardly leaves even the mildly attractive ones alone. As Alma understands it, Duke Addington left their estate years ago, yet he still sends money to maintain his reputation and keep Elise quiet and content. The women had been acquainted years ago. The Duchess had taken quite an interest in Alma when Mr. Monrova spoke of her potion making ability. For years Alma has been providing her with a remedy for aging skin. Elise, however, still looks her age, since the potion's effects last a week at best, and she cannot always make her way to the Monrova manor to purchase more.

"Where is Jerece? Why was he unable to attend? Not that I'm not thrilled to see you, I've been meaning to inquire about getting more of that wonderful serum you make me. Oh, and could you perhaps make something to restore hair color as well? It's not quite as... vibrant as I'd like it," Duchess Addington rambles on with a wide smile, obviously avoiding saying her hair is greying, even if it's clear to any onlooker. The woman's eyes dart to the potions on Alma's belt briefly, but flick back up when she doesn't see anything similar to the potions she covets so.

"Lord Monrova could not make it because Horatio called for him. Apparently, he has found someone, he wishes to marry, and would like his father's approval. And yes, I can get to making what you desire once I return home," Alma replies simply, just wanting to get her point across and go.

"Really!? Oh my! You must make sure old Jerece sends me an invitation to the wedding! Oh, darling, what's with that serious look? This is a party, have a drink, dance," Elise lets loose another obnoxious laugh and pats Alma on the back a bit too forcefully. Alma stumbles forward slightly, the corner of her mouth twitches briefly.

"Thank you for looking out for me Duchess, but I like to avoid alcohol. It takes too little of it to make me lose my wits, and I quite like keeping a level head. You, however, should go and continue having a grand time. I will be fine. I'm sure there are unattended men who would quite like your company," she straightens her posture and dismisses the woman as politely as she can.

"Right you are darling! Send my love to Jerece and Horatio," Duchess Addington waves and scurries off to find someone else to entertain her. Alma refocuses and looks for the strange man once again. She is shocked to see none other than the queen walking away from him, quite pleased. He couldn't possibly know the queen. Suddenly things make even less sense to her. She was going to investigate now, lest her frustration grow. She calmly approaches him, choosing not to bring up his theivery immediately.

"Pardon me sir, I couldn't help notice your interaction with the queen. She seemes to be quite friendly to you. If you do not mind me asking, are you two accuainted?" Alma asks curiously, tilting her head slightly. Now that she was next to him, as opposed to looking across the room, she finds the confidence he emanates is a bit intimidating. She does not falter though; she merely makes sure to be aware of all the items on her that could be stolen.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:52 am 

Flint didn't have much time for the chills to subside when a lovely half-elven woman walked up to him. Flint turned his bright eyes towards her, glancing over her attire(and the things she had with her) before giving her a dazzling smile This girl was guarded. One look at her, and Flint could tell she was no easy target, besides, she didn't seem to have anything of much value to him on her person, though if he could work out those potions he could maybe sell them. Still, best to leave her be. He didn't want to risk drawing attention to himself.

"No need to be so formal, my Lady. I'm Flint, and as for my relations with the queen, well lets say i know her better then most." He said, and it technically wasn't a lie. Thinking back to the letter he had read, and of the obvious affair she was having with Lord Cromwell, it was actually very true. Flint leaned back against the wall, and looked back towards the where the queen had gone, and for a second the chill he felt crept back in, and his smile falter just a tick, before he pulled his eyes back to the woman, and it was bright again. " Pardon my manners. I didn't ask for your name. You are Lady...?"He held his hand out to give her a proper, formal greeting, waiting expectantly.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:12 am 

Alma narrows her sharp, amber eyes briefly. He was hard to read. He just seemed so everywhere at once it was hard to pin down any hints of what he may actually be thinking. She looks down at his outstretched hand and pauses. "Pleasure to meet you Mr. Flint," she reaches out with one of her gloved hands and accepts the hand shake. "I am no lady, I am not of nobility so I do not have such a title. However, my name is Alma Astuto. I work for Jerece Monrova," She sighs simply. No need to go too far into pleasantries with a thief. Men like him make livings off of lies, why bother trying to appeal to him in any way. "Hm, do you really know the queen that well?" she speaks up after a moment. "I find that hard to believe, considering you are no lord. At least, it's likely you aren't. If you are, you must just like taking things that don't belong to you for fun," she states bluntly, putting all of her cards on the table.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:21 am 

Flint's smile dropped briefly before it returned, and he laughed, giving her another once over. She was right. She certainly was no Lady. He took his hand back, and went back to leaning against the wall. "I had a feeling you weren't a Lady. To well guarded, you see. You're smart, Miss Alma, I'll give you that."He looked back out towards the crowd as he continued. "Hmm Lord Monrova. Seems like a good sort, though he's some type of fool, no? Must be tiresome. Tell me does he ask after you to help him make simple decisions?" Flint laughed when he saw a pained expression in her eyes. "I'll take that as a yes....So tell me, what gave me away?"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:38 am 

Alma quickly covers her mouth for a moment to hide a smile. "Well thank you I pride myself in my intelligence," She replies to his compliment after she regains her serious expression. She must take a deep breath to avoid a chuckle when he hits Lord Monrova right on the nose. "My lord just likes to be... heavily advised," she mutters and rolls his eyes. Yes, advised in just about every aspect of his life. He is a simple, cheery man, but one could certainly call him a fool. "And sometimes that includes things like sock color choice and tea time snack selection," she adds, internally groaning as she realizes she will likely be making all the large decisions when organizing his son's wedding. She just sighs and leans back against the wall as well. "Well, nothing glaring gave you away. You're very discreet. However, it seems I am just as observant as you are sly, so I just notice when suddenly a ring disappears from a lady's hand and ends up in your jacket. A clever one you are, no one else would have noticed the missing belongings until they returned home, if at all," she explains, watching as nobles mindlessly chatter and dance.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:28 pm 

Flint's easy going smile slipped away as he watched the nobles dance about. He would be lying if he said he did not hate them. Very few nobles deserved the power, or wealth given to them, and to Flint he was simply proving a point. To whom the point was to be made to was unclear, but none the less. As she spoke, he reached into his jacket pocket and fiddled with a coin, twirling it between his fingers. He could feel the faint magical connection stored with in, waiting patiently for use, and closed his fist around it tightly. He looked back to Alma and that charming smile was back as he shrugged at her. "They are fools. They thrive off the hard work of those in their care, and act as if they should be hailed for their grace and power. What does it matter if I take a small trinket here or there? Besides, this is a party, and I am doing what I find fun." He chuckled, and pushed off the wall. " Will you give me away, Miss? I mean it is, after all harmless fun."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:50 pm 

"Be careful talking so badly about them, people may brand you as some sort of traitorous rebel," Alma warns and glances over to him. For a brief moment, he appears troubled, but he is back beaming at her in the next moment. "Hmm, well you shouldn't even be at this party. I'd need a legitimate reason not to call the nearest guard on you. Do realize, it's nothing personal, I just don't want to make a habit of helping criminals. You seem like a decent man, but laws are put in place for a reason sir. Nobels may be a bit over privileged, however, that just not justify deceit and thievery," she stated clearly and steps away from the wall once again. A part of her wanted to just give the man a break and let him go. His frustration is warranted, and less fortunate individuals often have to do things like this to get by. She has to think logically rather than emotionally though, and logically law breaker must face punishment. He would get caught eventually anyway, it's not as though her assistance would make a difference in the end. It never has.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:51 am 

"Well, I suppose curiosity wouldn't count as a good reason....I'll level with you, miss. I pocketed a letter earlier today. The symbol on it was not one belonging to any of the noble houses, but it bore a weight to it. Truthfully I had wanted to toss the thing. A letter isn't worth much, you see, but something about the event...I don't know, something told me not to throw the invitation away. So I came, and I had been planning to bail out after my little chat with the queen. Something is fishy here, and after watching the people, I think half of them know what's coming. The other half don't," Flint said leaning in closer to her. " And I don't know about you, but I don't like being part of the half not in the know."

As he said that he pulled his hand from his pocket, the coin still held firmly, before he stepped back from her and flicked the coin to her, smirking a bit when it landed at her feet. "Now, then, forget you saw me for a while, yes?" he said and with a flash of gold in his eyes Alma's mind stalled as the coin released it's spell, and a pressure built in the back of her skull. Flint used her temporary confusion, and loss of intellect to slip away, feeling only a little bad about using such a dirty trick, but he didn't have time to be arrested. Besides the spell would wear off in a minute or two. She might have a splitting headache though.

Flint used the time the coin granted him to conceal himself deep in the crowd. He needed to get closer to the queen. Speak with her to maybe figure out what was going on. He just needed to find her. Flint groaned inwardly and went about searching. He was painfully aware of the spell he had cast on Alma wearing off after a short time, and he knew she'd be mad, but she wasn't his concern right now. He picked up the speed, but stopped when the music halted and the king and queen stood before their guest, waiting for the crowd's attention.

"Well, I hope you all are having a lovely time," It was the king who spoke, and when he spoke people listened. The nobles all stopped, and turned to look to him. King Cordell was as unnerving as his wife, and though the people regarded the pair fondly, Flint felt a fear raise in him. " Me, and my darling wife would like to thank you all for coming tonight. It's a special occasion after all, this feast. A tribute to the lost." At that Flint noticed certain nobles frown, obviously confused. Did they not get the same invitation? One Lord stepped up, and drew the Kings focus to him. Flint recognized the man as Lord Darwin Ainsworth, one of the few Lords Flint had a respect for. The man generally cared for the people, and had spoken out against other nobles to ensure the people where safe, and happy. He cleared his throat and stood tall.

"My Lord, my Lady, I apologize, but the invitation we received said this was a ball to celebrate the recent trade deal with the kingdom Astaria." The queen chuckled at that, and half the room joined her, all turning cold eyes towards the man. "My dear Ainsworth, this party was indeed a celebration, but you see, it's to celebrate the death of you, and all the others here that would get in the way of our plan." Her eyes grew wild, and a large smirk spread across her face. At first the people thought it was a joke until all the windows and doors slammed shut, locking with the force of powerful magic, then they started to worry. Worry turned to outright panic when the queen held up a smooth black stone, with an intricate rune carved into it, and out of it a dark glow shone, and a swirl of shadows wrapped around the men and woman who were still laughing, turning them into large furred beast, eyes glowing bright red. Flint's eyes went wide, and he rushed towards the stairs, making his way towards the royals.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:43 am 

"You must be joking. You sound far too paranoid. Nobels do have quite a few... under the table dealings, but you're acting like this is some sort of mass conspiracy. You give them too much credit," Alma mutters and frowns. She certainly didn't think this was any more than another trivial ball. However, now that he mentioned it, she does suppose some guests came off differently than others. She steps back in surprise as the coin lands at her feet and looks down at it. "What are y-" she doesn't get to finish her question when her head starts reeling.

Alma grunts in pain and staggers back against a wall. She holds her head and clenches her teeth, unable to think straight. After what seemed like ages, the pain subsides into more of a small ache. The first thought that enters her mind is, “That bastard.” She straightens her posture and scans the room. “I hate coming across other damned magic users. Serves me right, that’s what I get for hesitating,” she growls quietly. She was no longer torn, that man was going to find himself behind bars. She starts storming out back into the crowd to look for him when the king and queen address the room. Guest bunch up closer together, making her groan audibly, as they are impeding upon her man hunt. Her anger quickly shifts to bewilderment and concern as the words “Tribute to the lost,” come from the king’s mouth.

The exchange between the queen and Lord Ainsworth only add to her growing anxiety. Her eyes widen as the doors slam shut around them all. “I cannot believe that degenerate was right about something,” she mutters in frustration as shadows swirl around the sinister guests. She shares a look with several panicked guests as they all find themselves surrounded by beasts. Suddenly, she spots none other than Flint dashing up the stairs to the royals. She sprints over to him, pushing past some people wailing in fear, even sliding under a beast that attempts to snap at her. The noise in the room escalates as the transformed nobles grow in hostility, attacking the ignorant ones. “Idiot! What are you doing?” She shouts to Flint as she leaps up multiple stairs at once to get to him. She draws her dagger in one swift movement and skids to a halt in front of him. “We need to go now! Not get involved!”

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:18 am 

Flint grunted and skidded to a stop, nearly falling backwards when Alma jumped out in front of him. He glared at her, slightly appalled by her words. He shoved her aside, and continued up the stairs. "You can flee if you want, but I'm not letting the queen keep what ever that stone is!" He shouted out over his shoulder as he climbed further up the steps. He stopped only briefly, halting when a small girl cried out, clinging to her mothers skirts in fear as the beast cornered them. Flint toss a few more coins into the crowd below, activating them as they hit their marks. Several beast yowled in pain, as barbed vines curled around them, halting them from their attacks. That probably wasn't the best thing to do, seeing as that earned the attention of the king and queen.

Flint cursed his stupid good heart, as the queens eyes flashed, and a dark light shot out of the stone, making him jump out of the way, narrowly avoiding his head being blasted off his shoulders. The wall the blast hit had a portion of it disintegrated, leaving only dust and rubble. Flint stared wide eyed at it, and then turned back to the queen, who seemed to find his fear amusing.Yeah, that stone REALLY needs to not be with her! He rolled to his feet, and pulled out simple bronze ring, slipping it on, and standing his ground. The royal watched him in amusement.

"Darling, who is this man," the king asked, eyeing flint up and down. The queen leaned against him, and ran her hand along his chest. "According to him, a representative of Cromwell's, but I suspect that's a lie. After all, a Cromwell servant wouldn't be wearing such poor clothing." Flint grunted at the remark. That was just rude. These were his best clothes!

"Hey! These are my best clothes, thank you very much,"he said, catching the two off guard just long enough for him to spend the spell in the ring, vanishing from sight. Amalia growled in frustration "That's illegal use of enchantment, little rabbit!"

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:13 am 

"You're such a fool, you're going to die!" Alma snaps as he pushes past her. She hates him, but he's so reckless it seems, she feels partly responsible for him now. She jumps aside as he tosses more of those damned coins out onto the floor. Seeing more of his magic, he goes from an inconvenience to more of a legitimate threat. Suddenly she hears a very particular voice ring out from the crowd.

"Alma! Alma help me," Duchess Addington shrieks, a beast quickly closing in on her. Needless to say, a middle aged woman is not capable of out running such a thing. Mrs. Addington was a pain at times, but she certainly didn't deserve to die. Alma dashes a bit down the steps and snatches a potion from her belt.

"Look out Elise!" She yells as she tosses the bottle over to the scene. It shatters against the ground and explodes with a flash. The beast gets knocked against a wall and whimpers. She takes another vile from her hip and throws it to the other woman. "Pour it on the ground around you, it will make walls of ice. They won't hold for too long, but I'll try and get things under control," she calls. Elise nods, a bit overwhelmed, but obeys. With that taken care of, she turns and sets out to get back to Flint.

Suddenly, she feels claws slash across her back. She cries out and stumbles forward. She turns to the beast angrily, feeling blood seep from her wounds. The monster batts at her again, but she darts out of the way. She slashes at it with her dagger, leaving a thin gash across its face. It howls furiously and lunges forward. Knowing she can't overpower it, she runs off to the side and between two pillars. The beast follows and crashes into the pillars. The crumble on top of it, effectively trapping the creature as it snarls and nips.

Panting, she makes it back over to Flint just to see him disappear. "Oh honestly," Alma groans, finding it increasingly hard to actually get ahold of him. She swallows hard when she remembers the king and queen stand before her. "Y-your highnesses, what is the meaning of all of this? All this needless taking of life, why? You were supposed to be kind rulers. Forgive me for saying so, but I must question your methods of leading," she says shakily, trying to talk it through to perhaps diffuse the situation.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:17 pm 

Amalia's eyes turned to glare at Alma, and she smirked, eyeing her up and down. "Oh, the foolish lord sent his mutt in his stead then." she laughed, and held the stone out towards her. "Pity, really. I was hoping to end that idiots life, but you will do for now." As she spoke the stone in her hand started to glow, shade and shadow swirling around the queen's hand, then her arm, before engulfing her form completely. Inside the swirling mass of darkness Amalia's form grew, changing. She let out a loud yell, one that turned into a deep growl, as her body twisted, and her bones cracked, and reformed into something similar to the beast below only she was larger, and more terrifying to look at.

The shadows retracted from the queens body once the transformation was complete, and she looked down at Alma, eyes burning, stone still held tightly in her hand, as the sound of screaming, and horror filled the air from down below. The beast before Alma let out a rumbling chuckle, and raised her clawed hand, bringing it down in one fell swoop, aiming right for her head, and as it descended a loud whistle broke her concentration, making the slash arch wide. Amalia growled and snapped her head towards the side right as a coin hit her right between the eyes, releasing the magic, blinding the beastly queen.

Flint smirked, having dropped his invisibility. The queen whimpered and snarled, trying to regain sight, and Flint couldn't be more please with himself. "Ha! Hey, Queenie, I think you should see a healer about that growth problem you have!"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:02 pm 

Alma swallows hard and slowly takes a step back. "Goddamit," she whimpers to herself as she watches the terrible transformation. She has half a mind to run, but there is no way that would end well either. That stupid thief had made her reckless. She wouldn't even be over here if it weren't for him. As the claws of the queen whistle to Alma's head, she flinches and shuts her eyes tightly. This was the end, she lived a good life she supposes... no, no she didn't. In fact, it all kind of sucked. Always following the orders of oafs that simply have more influence, it was pathetic. The sound of the coin hitting the ground made her eyes snap open. The slash was thrown off, so she just narrowly dodges it.

She is almost too thrilled at the sight of Flint. She was mostly certain she was going to die, but he provided the necessary distraction. It seems he is good for something. "Is now really the time for one-liners?" she groans. While the queen's attention is redirected, she pops the lid off of a jar on her belt and dips her fingers in. She winces at the heat that engulf her hand, but flicks her hand out to the queen, sending a moderate blast of fire to her. "If you want to snatch a certain something, now would be a good time," she says through gritted teeth, knowing his intention to steal the stone.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:02 pm 

The queen howled in pain as the flames licked at her, and Flint snapped himself back into serious attention, and rushed towards the beast. As he moved, a hand grabbed him and he was thrown into the banister, the wood splintering from the impact. A groan of pain escaped from his lungs, and he looked up as the king strolled towards him.

"Forgetting about me, are we? Pity. I had thought you would do the smart thing and run, but seems I misjudged your intelligence." He seemed almost mirthful as he spoke, eyeing flint up and down with critical eyes. Flint chuckled dryly. "Wouldn't you be scared I'd tell everyone about your plan?" he asked, hoping to buy some time to think of a plan. He really should have ran, and to be honest he didn't know why he hadn't when he realized something was off. "You'd think, but really, who'd trust the word of a thief?" Cordell laughed lightly, and pulled his blade from his belt,making his way towards Flint.

From his spot on the ground, Flint could see Alma holding the queen at bay, and tried to push himself up. "I resent that statement. I'm not just a common thief you know. Besides, you lot think so little of the people below, they'd believe me." He got himself to his feet and dusted himself off. "So you're from Low town. Well the common masses wont care for what the lot of you think. You're dirt to them." Flint frowned, because the king was right. The people didn't care. A dark chuckle came from the king, and he stopped, suddenly changing his demeanor. That put Flint off, and alarm bells started to go off in his head. A dull pain throbbed in his head, and he knew the king was digging around in there, but he couldn't move to stop it.

"I see....You hate them, don't you, Flint. They have hurt you, so much. I understand. That is why we are doing what we are doing. To cleanse the world of those fools. We don't have to fight. You're very powerful, and we could use you. Join us, and all the pain will go away." He was mere inches from Flint's face, and he reached out and ran his hand along his cheeks, eyes glowing with magic as he twisted his words into Flint's head. The pain got worse if he tried to fight, and he gasped, body shaking when it started to sear. Cordell tsked, and pryed harder, bringing up memories that Flint thought he buried for good, making him gasp and fall to his knees.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:14 pm 

"Flint! Come on where are you? I-" Alma grunts with great effort. Her gloves give little cover, so her hands burn from the flames. She was far too inexperienced to use pyromancy like this. She could hardly keep the flames from back firing in her, and yet, she decided to use it anyway. Poor judgement t on her part, even if it was holding off the queen. "Flint?" She calls out again and glances over to the side.

She gasps at the sight of Flint falling to his knees before the king. This whole thing was all so overwhelming. She had gone to a presumedly normal ball, but now within ten minutes she'd practically become an enemy of the crown and country. She has always been an incredibly honest, law upholding citizen, but what do the laws even mean anymore when the monarchy turns out to be... like this. "Ugh godammit Flint," Alma growls as she squeezes her hand shut to quell the flame.

She snatches her dagger and dashes over to the king, plunging it into his shoulder and yanking it out forcefully. "I've already committed high treason today, what's one more strike against me?" She mutters. She hoists Flint back up to his feet and pats his face. "Hey, you okay? Focus. We need to just run for it, we can't fight these two! Hurry up big guy, let's go," she all but pleads with him to give it up. Whatever the king did, it looked like it really messed him up, and Alma wasn't trying to stick around to find out what else the royal pair could do. Whether she liked it or not, she and Flint were sort of in this mess together now, and she couldn't bring herself to leave him behind.