All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:14 pm 

Location: I'm in the wind,trees, and rain. Everywhere, yet no where all at once.
Blog: View Blog (0)

Merlin gave him a side eye,but seemed to be stated for now. Vesper huffed a chuckle, and looked back to Ragnar. The mood dropping slightly as they were brought back to the problem at hand. Shaking her headd,Vesper bit her lip, trying to think of something. Besides her, Merlin looked between the two of them, slowly growing bored. He turned to leave, Vespers eyes on him when inspiration hit. She perked up, and yanked the mage back towards her. Merlin flailed a bit, the pull on his arm unexpected. "Ah!What the hell, Ves,"he asked, swatting her hands off him.

Vesper patted his shoulder in apology, and pulled at his spell book. "Merlin, do you have anything that will make Briarwood sleep, and stay asleep? Like a spell,"she asked hopeful. Merlin blinked a few times, processing what she was saying, before a smirk crossed his lips. A dark chuckle left him as he opened his book. "When you say 'keep him asleep', what exactly do you mean? Because I have a few spells in here,"he waved the book around, before opening it to a page closer to the back."Just sleep? Because I can still turn him into a frog, and that should keep him out of trouble,"he sounded hopeful. Vesper shook her head, dashing his hope.

"Just sleeping,Merlin. No hexes, minor curses, or pranks,"she wagged a finger at him, much the mother hen."I mean it,"

Merlin groaned. No one ever lets him turn snobby clients into frogs, and that was such a shame."Fine,"he pouted, flipping to another page, all the while muttering under his breath." A frog would have been fun, but no one ever lets me use it....Fun-suckers,"he stopped at the spell, and read it over before looking at them. "I have one that'll keep him out most of the night, will that be good,mother?"

Vesper nodded, and looked to Ragnar."If he's out, he can't make trouble,"

Please excuse my slow replies. I currently work 6 or 7 days a week, and now with Hurricane Irma effecting my county I wont know when I might have access to power next. Hopefully things will get fixed soon. Thank you for understanding!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:27 pm 

The White Wolf Prevails

A dubious smirk surfaced on the brute's lips. He liked the plan despite agreeing with Merlin, the haughty noble deserved a few minor curses. He unlinked his hands before crossing his arms over his chest, thinking for a moment. "Yeah, that will work although I much rather see the noble as a frog as well." He said laughing.

"Let's get to it, shall we?" He clapped his hands, rubbing them together slightly. Now, he won't have to worry about Briarwood until way later into the night and into the early morning

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:42 pm 

Location: I'm in the wind,trees, and rain. Everywhere, yet no where all at once.

"See,"Merlin said, motioning to Ragnar"Even he agrees! Frogs are the obvious solution," He nodded his head as if he just spoke words of divine wisdom. He turned his blue eyes to look Ragnar up and down." You know, keep agreeing with me, and I might actually like you more,"he said, chuckling a bit. Vesper shook her head.

"The spell,Merlin,"the woman gestured for him to move. They needed to get this done with. Merlin complied, leading the two of them closer to the Lords tent. He plopped himself on the ground,crossing his legs, and went to work. He mumbled the spell to himself, focusing on Briarwoods face in his mind. Vesper watched the jolt of magic sparkle and glow to life in his eyes. The blue turned a bright glittering gold, fading once the spell was cast.

"That's it? Did it work,"she asked, helping him up."Vesper, has any of my spells ever not worked,"he gave her a good natured shoulder bump, and dusted himself off. She knew he was right. Merlin was the company's best mage, and had skills that she had never seen, but still, her mind could not settle. She had to see for herself that he was asleep.

Turning on her feet, she headed to the tent, pausing at the flap to announce herself." Lord Briarwood? I wanted to come by and check in,"she said, pushing the flap back, and finding the noble on the cot, fast asleep. A breath of air left her lungs, as she unwound herself. Good, the spell did work.

Please excuse my slow replies. I currently work 6 or 7 days a week, and now with Hurricane Irma effecting my county I wont know when I might have access to power next. Hopefully things will get fixed soon. Thank you for understanding!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:52 pm 

The White Wolf Prevails

"Likewise." Ragnar gave a small nod towards Merlin. Ragnar hated most mages for their decision to fight with magika rather than a good old fashion sword and strength. However, he didn't really mind Merlin, he had done numerous contracts with the mage and has come to respect him.

He followed behind the two towards the lord's tent, waiting for him to finish the spell. He emitted a sigh of relief when Briarwood was knocked out from the spell. "Only if we could travel with him like that.." He commented with a smile of a fool.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:12 pm 

"My offer to turn him into a frog still stands,"Merlin called. Vesper sighed, ignoring him. "At least he's asleep for the night. We should do this again tomorrow. I dont want him being able to sneak about,"she said, walking over towards an empty fire. Merlin sat besides her, and yawned."I don't see why you can't let him try....not like he'd get far. And an explosion is a very capable alarm system,"

"That's what you went with this time? Isn't that a bit too dangerous,"she asked, giving him a stern look. He shrugged."It'll certainly keep bandits out, anyway it's getting late. I have first watch with Finny, so if you two want to sleep some I can keep an eye on Briarwood. Shouldn't be too hard. He's a sleeping lump, after all."

"Why Merlin, is that kindness I hear,"she teased. The mage laughed, and gave her a slight shove. "No it's a favor you'll have to pay back," she laughed with him this time, and bumped him in the side lightly. She liked Merlin a lot. He was the first one to extend a welcome to her when she joined, and though it took time to sooth out his rough edges, they eventually became close friends. She looked up to him like a brother, and always felt better in his company.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:24 pm 

The White Wolf Prevails

Ragnar smiled softheartedly at the interaction between the two. While he has a few people he respects, he never really gotten close with anyone nor has he made any enemies. I guess it balances out, He thought dismissively. He normally kept to himself, only focusing on the contract or practice and honing his skills. The closest person he had to a friend here with The Seeking Owl was probably Farkas, the master-at-arms. Farkas had his highest respects for helping him learn difference fighting stances besides the normal charging attack style.

"Whelp, I'm off.." Ragnar announced before he walked off towards his tent for the night, lifting his hand up in a good-bye manner.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:40 pm 

The two bid him good night, and continued talking for a while longer before Vesper turned in as well. The night went by with out a problem, the guards changing shifts every two hours, all the way to morning. When Vesper left her tent, yawning and rubbing away sleep, she noticed the camp already buzzing to life. Talia was passing out breakfast to some of the others, and Finny was going over the supplies with a small gnomish woman named Lyra. She was glad to see nothing happened in the middle of the night.

Spotting the familiar messy dark curls, walking about the camp, undoing the last of his wards, Vesper made her way to Merlin, calling out a cheerful good morning. Said half-elf smiled at her, and leaned against the tree he was in front of. "So, any thing happen after I woke you last night,"he asked eyes darting over to the lords tent. The man hadn't come out yet, probably still asleep, the magic still in effect. Vesper shook her head, another yawn leaving her.

"Nope,that spell you used really worked. I checked on him before I switched out and he was still passed out on the cot,"Merlin nodded, pushing off from the tree and leading Vesper towards the food line."He should be waking up soon. Finny says we'll be leaving soon, though. Hope he's up by then, otherwise Finny might know I used a spell on him," He smiled at Talia as she handed them both a steaming breakfast of oatmeal. The two wondered off to tuck into their meals elsewhere. As they walked, Vesper spotted Brynn, and smiled waving at her, hoping any awkwardness between them was gone.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:54 pm 

The White Wolf Prevails

Brynn was one of the first few to wake up in the morning. Dressed in just a black tunic and matching leggings, she immediately went to her horse, running her hand down the mare's muzzle in repetitive and soothing motions. She sighed peacefully, resting her head against the horse's briefly before she went about her morning chores and armouring up.

The glance of the half-elf caught her attention. Still puzzled about the night prior at the fire, she only nodded in her direction before heading off to break her fasting. 'Intriguing one, that Vesper is.." She whispered under her breath as she received some oatmeal from the company's cook. She headed back towards the ashy remains of the campfire, sitting down by the ruins and began to eat her oatmeal with a silent content.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:22 pm 

Merlin watched the exchange and snorted a bit. "You know, I know you tend to be air-headed and awkward, but usually you can win people over with a smile, and a gentle look."he took a bite of his food, eyes on Vespers slight pout."I know...I really just want to show her she doesn't have to be so guarded, I mean at least not around me,"she placed her head in her hand, swirling her oatmeal around. Merlin chuckled, and patted her shoulder a bit.

"I'm sure she'll come around. I mean, you managed to win me over, didn't you."he wiggled his eye brows a bit, making her smile. "True,"she agreed. they finished their breakfast teasing each other back and forth till a loud explosion sounded from the right of them. The two shot up, forgetting the dishes instantly.

"Did you forget a glyph,"

"Maybe! But everyone's here, it's not one of ours that set that off,"the mage said, as they head towards what sounded like a large commotion. When they got to the source, they could see a few men that had been knocked to the floor by the blast.Several more were engaged in battle with a few of the party, and Vesper noticed how the men looked. Swathed in fabric and leather, all of which was dirty, and stained. Bandits. It was bound to happen, traveling this road.

"Vesper, more coming from the left,"Merlin said, eyes flashing gold as he sent out a fire blast. Vesper used the distraction to slip away, and hide in the shadows, unseen by the enemy. When she spotted her mark, she leaped out, and ran her sword through his back side, twirling out of the way of a few messy slash attacks from the mans allies.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:48 pm 

The White Wolf Prevails

Brynn and Ragnar both instantly discarded whatever they had been doing at the time of the explosion, rushing to come to the aid of their fellow couriers. Fortunately for the two, they both had priorly equipped their gear and weapons. Brynn was at the centre of the commotion, surveying the area, picking out who were the ones that were most likely the leader of the pack of bandits. She targeted them, figuring that the rest of the bandits would lose courage and scatter once they witness the person they looked up to get slaughter. While she did that, Ragnar and a few of the other soldiers that he commanded to linger back towards Lord Briarwood's tent, acting as the last line of defense, their weapons poised and ready for action.

Brynn took down some of the bandits with ease, fighting fluently with the flow of the northern winds. She knew every weak spot and nook of the bandit's armour, wearing leather armour herself. Occasionally, she would glance around after killing a bandit, looking to any fallen comrades that might be in need of help.

Very few bandits managed to reach the Lord's tent and if they did, either Ragnar or one of the soldiers took down the bandit with one clear strike to the chest.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:01 pm 

The fighting continued on, Vesper jumping in and out of the shadows, and Merlin hurling magic towards strays that got passed the group. The enemy had the numbers, but not the skill, and the battle ended when Finny managed to find and put their leader down. Once that was done, the rest of the scum fled, leaving behind any wounded or dead. Vesper breathed a sigh of relief, and slumped against a tree.

"Report! How many of our own did we loose,"Finny asked to one of the men. "None, that explosion took out the first wave, giving us time to brace," the man said, motioning to the now torn apart tree. Merlin laughed, and walked up to Finny"And you told me to stop doing that,well saved our arses didn't it,"he stuck his tongue out, earning a long suffering sigh from the man."Stop gloating, will you,"

"No...Don't think I fancy it," Sigh.

Finny looked to Brynn and Vesper, and back towards the lords tent."You two did good. Ragnar!"he called the man over, and patted his shoulder."Good thinking, ordering a line of defense back there. Now, the rest of you, start clearing this mess away, and get back to packing...Merlin you're going to help," The mage scoffed, but did as he was ordered.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:39 am 

The White Wolf Prevails

Brynn's movements slowed as the battle gradually slowed. She watched in content silence as the last few surviving bandits fled once their leader was slain. She cautiously surveyed the sea of bodies, both the dead and the wounded, making sure none still would hold a threat. Her blade appeared almost a rusty red, the normal blade's chestnut bronze was tinted crimson from the blood of the bandits. With two fingers, she flicked the blood off the blade in one motion.

She turned to face Briarwood's tent, just past where Ragnar stood. The uneasy feeling about the lord resurfaced, she just could not shake the feeling off. There was something off about the noble.

Brynn nodded in acknowledgment towards Finny before averting her focus back to the mess of bandits as Ragnar walked over to Finny, stabbing his sword into the ground, leaning up against his blade.

"Aye, sir." Ragnar glanced around at the bodies studiously. "Bandits or sellswords?" He asked Finny.

Last edited by TheSnowDrift on Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:45 pm 

"I don't know yet,"he said, striding past Ragnar to where one of the wounded still lay. He yanked the man to his feet, earning a yelp of surprise. He was human, plain looking, and young by the looks of it. The boy was scared. Finny didn't even have to look to notice the way he trembled in his grasp."P=please don't k-kill me,"he begged. They always stared begging. Finny sighed, looking the kid over once more before pressing his blade to his side.

"Answer my questions and I wont,"he pressed the point ever so lightly into him. That caused the kid to jolt, and straighten, nodding his head profusely.

"Why would bandits be stupid enough to attack a courier convey with over a dozen members," he asked because it really was stupid. Regardless of the numbers simple bandits had, a party their size would be able to easily gain the upper hand. Usually jobs that had larger parties finished ahead of schedule because no band of brigands would be stupid enough to try to fight them. It was a detriment to their health.

The boy gulped down hard, and opened his mouth, fighting with himself, before finally speaking."We..we were hired. I don't know who by,I'm no one important. They don't tell me those things, but we were suppose to get some package. We weren't suppose to fight you. Just steal what ever it was in the night, but we couldn't get around the wards. Didn't want to start an alarm. The boss got angry. Didn't wanna wait, so when he saw that mage a yours dispelling them, he figured it was safe,"He said, looking over towards the blown up remains of his group."Guess he were wrong." Finny frowned and motioned for someone to take the kid.

"Tie him up. We'll drop him off with proper authorities when we get to where we're going,"he waved them off as he turned back towards the mess at hand. The kid didn't know anything else, but he did have a point about those wards.

I should thank Merlin...But really is the gloating worth it?he sighed and put his blade away. Speaking of the mage, Merlin was busy healing a few of their wounded, Vesper helping where she could, though her abilities were no where near as good as him. She was bent over the other half-elf as he was focusing on closing a deep gash in one of the elder mens arm. She watched intently, awed by how the bright gold seemed to glide against the opened wound and stitch it together again. It didn't even leave a scar.

"That's amazing, Merlin,"she said placing her hands on his shoulder as he pulled away. He smiled at her, and stood."It's just magic," he chuckled, wiping the dirt and grim from his hands.

"You've seen me do this a million time, vesper,"

"True, but it's always so breath-taking. I've never seen magic shine so brightly, and maybe i'm a little jealous,"she laughed.

"You know if you want to learn more magic I could always teach you. You do have the ability to use it, and in return you can help me hone my skills with a blade. Magic can't fix everything, and there are times when it doesn't work, you know."he made a vague hand movement, and she smiled brightly."Really?You'd want to teach me,"she asked happily. Merlin nodded, going to speak when Finny walked over.

A smirk grew on the mages face. He knew what that constipated look on Finny's face meant. It meant he was going to tell him he was wrong.

"Merlin...those wards were....useful. Maybe, you can use them again....but don't let it go to your head,"he snapped the moment he saw the words about to leave the mages lips.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:06 pm 

The White Wolf Prevails

Once they received the information of the wounded child, Ragnar, being in a good mood from the adrenaline rush that surfaced from the fight but slowly began to die, wandered off to go aid the other couriers as they began to regroup and prepare for another day out traveling on the roads. He helped check inventory, making sure no stray bandit had gotten off with anything of lesser importance than the package they were hired to safeguard before he began hauling stuff back onto the caravan's wagon.

Both Ragnar and Brynn were relatively left unharmed from the battle. Ragnar's steel armour protected him from any sort of wounds. Brynn; however, had a few cuts on her arms and one small gash on her right cheek. She sighed as she lifted her finger to the wound, some blood dripping down her cheek. It wasn't a major wound, just a light annoyance. "Dammit." She murmured, "I need to work on my defense."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:32 pm 

"Do those hurt," Vesper asked, having left the mage and Finny to squabble with one another. She motioned for Brynns hand, taking it in hers and humming a bit. She examined the small knicks and cuts, frowning a bit. "You're getting too close, and staying to long in the fray. You're a rogue, yes? Swords give you the benefit of some distance. I saw how you fought, it was good, but you get to close for a sword. I can always help you train a bit, if you want to fix your defense,"she smiled, casting a simple healing spell to help heal her cuts. When her hands and arms were healed, she reached up, and touched the girls cheek. Vesper's hands were feather light against her cheek, gentle to keep from hurting Brynn. She smiled, her eyes lighting up with a silver hue as she cast the healing spell one more time. Once done she stepped back.

"All done. No pain left over, right,"she asked.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:48 pm 

The White Wolf Prevails

Brynn frowned slightly, her eyebrows pushed closer together not in pain but in discontent. She normally watched other, figuring their morals, loyalties, and weakness; however, she dislikes when someone is able to figure out her weaknesses so easily, especially during combat. She emitted a sigh and nodded when Vesper asked if she was a rogue. Most of her combat she learned was in the field when she was working alone as a mercenary after her House disowned the young female.

Brynn tensed as the elf reached up to heal the cut on her cheek, her jaw clenching close. She glared above the elf distantly, trying to focus on anything else besides the half-elf. "Yeah, I'm fine." She replied quietly through gritted teeth. "I'm just used to daggers that all." She explained. Normally, she didn't use swords, only a dagger from behind. However, she thought better of it for situations like guarding a caravan, she wouldn't be able to sneak up on bandits as easily as she would be able to if she was alone.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:04 pm 

Vesper frowned at her reaction and looked down, feeling guilty for pushing into her space."I'm sorry, I should have asked if I could do that....I'm so use to it not being an issue, so I apologize if I crossed your boundaries...again...I'm not very...I'm not very really good with people sometimes. I forget sometimes, that people aren't always so...open,"she bit her lip slightly. It was a nervous habit she had picked up during her first few years in Cairah. She didn't know how to speak with people then, either. Now everyone was so use to each other, and comfortable with everyone. Well mostly everyone. Still, she had forgotten how hard meeting new people was.

"If...How about, if you don't mind, I help you learn to be more comfortable with a blade,"she asked, hand going over to pat at one of the twin blades she carried at her side. "It would be no problem, and it'll help keep you from getting those nasty cuts,"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:19 pm 

The White Wolf Prevails

She shook her head as she noticed the guilt her the elf's eyes. "Don't apologize for me just being uneasy." She stated as she watched Vesper studiously, eyeing her reactions. After being disowned by her House and several conflicts while she was traveling south, she distrusts almost everyone and has a bad habit of flinching at the slightest of touches outside of combat.

She paused for a moment before she sighed in defeat. "I would like that.." She replied almost forcibly, she hated admitting her flaws and combat weaknesses.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:41 pm 

Vesper perked up, a bright smile lighting her face. She clapped her hands together,and practically jumped for joy. "Great! When we set up camp tonight we can take some time to find a nice spot to train,"she said, her mood slowly picking up. She was happy that Brynn was being more open, even if it was just a little. "I have some tricks you might li-"she started, getting cut off when she heard them being called by a rather angry Finny. uh-oh.Looks like he found out about the sleeping spell she thought as she noticed Merlin's frantic flailing at her behind said man, motioning her to run.

"Ragnar, you too,"He snapped looking towards the armored brute. When the the four of them were assembled outside the lords tent, Finny stared them down, before gesturing towards inside."I know I asked you lot to keep an eye on Briarwood, but that does not mean recruiting the worlds most immature mage to bespell him,"he said. Merlin scoffed at the sentiment, but couldn't argue. A groan left the red head, and he ran a hand through his hair, going to speak, but Vesper cut him off.

"Finny, er I mean, sir, this was my idea...Ragnar and Brynn didn't have a part in it. And Merlin only did it as a favor, so if you want to dock someones pay, make it mine. I thought I was doing the right thing,"she said bowing her head to him. Finny sighed, and rubbed his temples.

"Look,I understand, alright?I wont dock anyone's pay, just dispell the magic, and don't do it again,ok?" Vesper looked at him with large doe eyes,before nodding.

"Merlin, be a dear,"she asked. The mage nodded, and did as he was told. With in the hour the lord was awake, and slightly less miffed about the whole spell thing then they all thought he'd be. Finny was just happy they still had the job.

After the mess was cleared up, and everyone packed and ready, the caravan set out once more.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:55 pm 

The White Wolf Prevails

Ragnar cursed under his breath as Finny called for him. He placed the wooden crate full of supplies on the ground before jogging over, resting his hands on his hips, catching his breath briefly. His faced harden when he slowly began to realize what he was called over for. Damn, I forgot about Briarwood... He thought, nodding understandingly a few times as Finny talked. He emitted a sigh of relief once they learned no one's pay would be cut and Finny departed. He turned to Vesper with a warmhearted smile. "Thanks, Vesper, I owe you one."

Brynn immediately disappeared once Finny was finished, before any of the group could notice her absence. She muttered a few curses from her homeland as she walked towards the outer rim of the camp for a moment to clear her head, leaning back against a tree for several minutes as she waited for the last few preparations were being made before the caravan could head out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next