All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:33 pm 

Blog: View Blog (0)

The sunlight crept into his bedroom window and shined on his face. Groaning the young man sat up and rubbed his eyes with his left hand before reaching for a silvery object and attaching it to his right shoulder, the object making a subtle click as he flexed each appendage on the hand. Nodding in satisfaction the nineteen year old wizard began to get ready for the day.

Then about an hour later he arrived at his guild, he approached the bar and and sat at the stool. "Coffee Mira, and make it an espresso." The young man mumbled as he rubbed his forehead.

"Seems like a normal day for you my boy." Muttered a short old man. The Silver Armed Wizard looked at him before chuckling.

"Morning to you too Master. Any news I should be aware of?" He asked as he smirked.

"We have a new recruit. She's a bit shy but I'm thinking she'd be a perfect person for you to form a team with." The old man stated. "It'd be good for you to have some backup you know. Wolves don't Travel in packs Fenrir."

"Master Makarov, aside from my incident three years ago, I'm perfectly fine. I've done good as a solo wizard since then. What good will I be teaming up with a newbie wizard?" Fenrir asked with a small annoyed glare.

"She isn't new. She's from another guild that kicked her out." The Guild Master stated.

"For what? Bad behavior?" The one armed wizard asked. "Also it's been pretty quiet. Are the two brawlers not here yet?"

"Not from what I've seen must still be on their missions." Makarov noted. Fenrir just shrugged and took his coffee when it arrived and drank. He had a feeling this would be a long day.

Last edited by Firewind on Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:31 pm 

Kyrin woke up, blinking in the bright light shining through her bedroom window. Her nerves had kept her up most of the night, but evidently she must have fallen asleep at some point. Her sleep problems had been caused by a meeting with the guild master the previous day. She was still pretty new to the guild, and while she'd done a couple of quick and easy jobs since she'd joined, she didn't really know anyone well. Then, the night before just as she was getting ready to go home the guild master had pulled her aside. He'd told her that he wanted to introduce her to someone who he thought she should get to know and possibly team up with on a job or two. She had to admit that the possibility of having a partner was great, but she wasn't good at meeting other people, and the thought to talking to someone new quite honestly terrified her.

The thought of hiding under the covers and not going to this meeting was tempting, but she forced herself to get out of bed and get ready for the day. She was even careful to arrange her hair just right and put on some subtle make-up. After all, making a good first impression never hurt. Not to mention, putting some effort into her appearance always gave her just a little extra confidence, and she needed whatever little boost she could get. Finally ready, she headed out and toward the guild hall.

By the time she reached the guild hall she was back to being nervous, but she forced herself to continue forward. Just as she pushed the door open, she caught the tail-end of a conversation.

"...another guild that kicked her out."

"For what? Bad behavior?"

She froze just inside the door, her face turning slightly red. It didn't take much thought to realize they were talking about her. She closed her eyes for a moment and took a deep breath, composing herself. Then, opening her eyes, she forced herself to stride towards where the guild master was with a confidence she didn't feel, having decided that she wasn't going to show any reaction to show. "You wanted to speak to me this morning, master?" she asked, not giving any indication that she'd heard any of the previous conversation.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:33 am 

"Ah there you are. Kyrin, I'd like you to meet Fenrir. Fenrir this is Kyrin Taliyn." Fenrir turned to look at her and eyed her up and down. She didn't look like much but Fenrir learned that in Fairy Tail you don't underestimate someone's ability.

"Pleasure." He said calmly, trying to fight a small blush. Wait wha? Well Fenrir supposed She was cute.

"I expect you two to work well together." Makarov finished as he left to go to his office. Fenrir sighed and used his right hand to pick up his mug and drinking the much treasured espresso.

"So Kyrin, correct? I suppose the master paired us up as partners. But I propose a trial period. If Either of us fails in this trial period, There'll be no shame in backing out." Fenrir stated, raising his Right arm and offering a handshake from his silver hand.

"Aw, you two look so cute!" Fenrir groaned and looked at Mira who said the statement in a slightly embarrassed way.

"Really Mira? Really?" He asked.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:50 am 

Kyrin took a moment to study the other mage, all too aware that he was doing the same to her. She wasn't sure what to make of the master's plan to have the two of them work together. Fenrir looked a bit, well... Intimidating. And she couldn't help but think of the statement she had overheard while walking into the hall. He thought she'd been kicked out of her guild for causing trouble. No doubt that was why he'd proposed the trial period- he had probably already decided she wouldn't be a good partner. Not that she'd tell him the real reason she'd been kicked out, though. He may be willing to at least give a chance to a trouble-making partner, but she doubted he'd even think about having a crazy one. Besides, she was used to people not liking her. What did it matter if she was rejected again?

Still, she was determined to do her best to be a good partner. At least that way she knew it wouldn't be her fault if things fell apart. Probably. So she smiled at him and shook the hand he held out, not even reacting to the fact that it was a prosthetic. After all, she had enough problems of her own, so she was hardly inclined to judge anyone else on their imperfections. "Sounds like a deal to me," she said, agreeing to his proposed trial period, then blushing slightly at Mira's unexpected comment. She wasn't sure how to respond to that, so she stayed silent, her feeling of awkwardness more apparent than she would have liked it to be. Deciding to change the subject, she added, "So... Do you want to get things started and pick out a job to start on?"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:23 am 

"Sure." Fenrir said as he walked to the job board and thought about how he executed his introduction and how she reacted. She seemed to be used to being alone too. But he never got an answer as to why she was kicked out of the other guild. However, he didn't want to pursue it until he got to know her better.

He looked at the board and saw several things that peaked his interests. However, what he found was a quest to find some missing children in a monster laden territory. He looked at it and frowmed in slight sympathy. He was a foundling after all, so whenever someone was in trouble, be it a part of a broken family or scared child, he had to do something about it. He took the job off the board. "Mira, mark this one down as taken."

He then turned to look at Kyrin. "Well, let's get this job rolling. This quest may take a few days so meet me at the train station in a few hours." He said as he finished his drink and paid for it. "I look forward to seeing you in action."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:38 am 

Kyrin nodded in response to his request to meet at the train station. Then, as he walked away, she decided that perhaps she ought to at least look and see what job she had just blindly agreed to do with him. What she found was a bit disturbing. She had, of course, worked as a guild mage in the past, but she'd never really specialized in particularly dangerous jobs. Her magic wasn't all that suited for combat, and she' never thought of herself as a particularly powerful mage. This would probably be the most difficult job she'd ever done.

She supposed that at least Fenrir looked like he could handle himself. He was probably the kind of mage who would take this job on on his own without any worries. And while she was sure she'd probably end up making a fool of herself on the job, she wasn't going to back out either. She was many things, but a quitter wasn't one of them. So she turned and walked out of the guild building, heading to her home to pack for the trip.

Kyrin generally preferred traveling light, so it didn't take her very long to pack. Just a few changes of clothes, some toiletries, and a few bottles of water and emergency food, just in case. Well, and her knives, but those stayed on her person, not in the pack. Still, the nicest apartment she'd been able to find in her budget was out of town a ways, about a 45 minute walk from the guild hall and even farther from the train station, so she didn't really have any time to rest if she wanted to make it to the station on time. She managed to make it there about two and a half hours after she'd left the guild hall. She bought her train ticket, then looked around to see if her partner had arrived yet.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:45 pm 

Several minutes after Kyrin arrived Fenrir walked into view carrying only a briefcase containing a change of clothes and pajamas. "Ah, you're here. Good. We can get going then. It's a long way to where we're going."

----

The train was traveling towards the destination as Fenrir looked out the window. He observed his new partner for a few minutes before confirming in his mind that he should at least try to get to know her. "So Kyrin, what can you do with your magic?" He asked. "Mine isn't all that magnificent, Erza's makes mine look like a child's toy." He was speaking the truth on that front. As his magic only allowed Swords Erza held a perfectly good edge over him. But that didn't really matter.

He was only using himself to try and get to know Kyrin. Because he had a feeling he'd get used to having her around.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:42 am 

Kyrin had been staring out the window lost in thought when Fenrir spoke. His words startled her a bit, although she tried to hide her reaction. She was rather interested in the way he compared his magic to Erza's. She may be new to the guild, but everyone who knew anything about magic had heard of Titania Erza. His statement implied that his magic was at least in some way similar to hers. It seemed that her assumption about him being a strong mage had been correct. True, he'd said his magic was no where near Erza's level, but it didn't have to be in order to be powerful.

She shrugged slightly in response to his question about her magic. "Oh, nothing too impressive," she said. Drawing on a little bit of her magic, she casually reached behind the long sleeve of her kimono and produced a 'rose.' "Just illusions, that's all." As she said the word 'illusion' she released the magic, causing the rose to disappear.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:37 am 

Fenrir actually whistled. "That's a rare magic." He said as he watched her illusion vanish. "We can use that to distract any monsters we find whilst searching for the children." He nodded in approval as he said this as he leaned back in his chair.

----

It was evening when they reached the town where the job was posted. Fenrir decided it would be best to rest for the night before going out immediately the following morning. Plus he wanted to Make sure Kyrin had plenty of rest. Fenrir rented a two bed suite at an inn and walked in first.

"Plan is to be ready to go find them first thing in the morning." The Silver Armed Mage explained as he got ready for bed. He sat down on his bed and reached to touch his right shoulder with his left hand. He hesitated for a moment for fear of how Kyrin would react to what the damage the prosthetic hid.

Sighing the young man pressed a hidden button on the arm detaching his silver arm from his shoulder and setting it on the bedside. "I won't blame you for staring. Most people do if I ever go out in public without the silver arm." He remarked as he laid down on his bed. "I won't bore you with the story just yet. Every time I tell it is another way of telling myself I'm a failure."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:09 am 

Kyrin found that she rather agreed with Fenrir's plan. It was too late to start out tonight, and she was glad to have one more night in an inn before heading out into the countryside for what would likely be at least several days. She glanced over when Fenrir removed the prosthetic. She had to admit that the damage to his arm was pretty bad, but it didn't bother her that much. Her magic was a sick and twisted thing, and over the years it had conjured up plenty of worse things to torment her with. She turned back to her task of digging nightclothes out of her pack, shrugging slightly. "So what if you aren't perfect?" she asked calmly without looking up. "Neither is anyone else. We all have our flaws and make mistakes. The only time we truly fail is when we give up and quit living. And it doesn't look to me like you've done that." She pulled the garment she'd been looking for out of the pack and headed to the bathroom to change without saying another word or giving him a chance to respond.

She changed quickly, a bit embarrassed by her nightgown. It was a bit short as well as being sleeveless. But it she wore anything heavier she would overheat, and she couldn't sleep when she got too hot, so she would have to deal with it. He would only see her for a minute or two anyway, and after last night she really needed her sleep. She headed back out into the main room, quickly climbing under the covers. She reached over to turn off the lamp between the two beds, then froze, realizing that the light from the lamp clearly illuminated what the long sleeves of her kimono normally hid- the line etched on her wrist from a recent time when things had just seemed too tough to handle. Flushing, she quickly flipped the switch and pulled her hand away, hoping he hadn't noticed.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:13 pm 

Lucky for Kyrin, Fenrir was fast asleep. He always fell asleep the moment he hit the pillow after taking his prosthetic off.

-----

The next day Fenrir was leading Kyrin through the dense woods looking for the Children whilst keeping an eye out for any danger. His usual sword was summoned and on his back as he scanned for a clearing and spotted some tracks. "Found their trail. They went that way. Ooh boy." He remarked looking at the direction. "That's Thunder Lion Territory. Do I have a sword that has a thunder resistance effect? Ahem. Anyway, we gotta hurry. If we don't find them one of those beasts will."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:14 pm 

Kyrin was content to let Fenrir take the lead as they headed through the forest, especially since she was never sure if what she was looking at was actually real. The main way she handled the illusions was to pay very close attention to her surroundings and learn to recognize them. That way she could easily tell if something was out of character for a particular area. It wasn't a foolproof system, but it worked pretty well for her. However, this was the first time she'd been in this area, so she had no clue what was and was not typical for it. Still, she recognized the trail when he pointed it out. She continued following the trail until something off to the side caught her eye. A little ways off the childrens's trail, faint but distinct and definitely following the same the trail the same way they were, were a trail of very large paw prints. They were more recent than the children's trail, but it was still a bad sign. "You know, I don't think we're the only ones who found the trail," she said, pointing at the track to draw Fenrir's attention to it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:29 pm 

Looking down towards the trail again, Fenrir wished he didn't. "Thunder Lion. Judging from paw size, it's a a male, without a pride." He described as he took Kyrin by the hand. "We need to hurry now." He affirmed as he ran down the trail, following it to a nearby clearing as he saw the two kids huddle near a rock wall with the Beast glaring at them.

Fenrir drew his sword and got in a ready stance. "Kyrin, can you make the kids into something less desirable for the beast so that we can get them out of here and even he can leave in one piece?" He asked, his eyes never leaving the Thunder Lion as the huge cat met his gaze as well. His hands gripped tightly to his weapon.

"Come on beast. Do something stupid I dare you." He muttered.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:42 am 

Kyrin ran after Fenrir down the path. She'd only heard a few mentions of Thunder Lions here and there, but even she'd heard enough to know that this was not a good situation. Skidding into the clearing, she realized that all the descriptions in the world couldn't do the beast justice. It was truly terrifying, but she didn't have time to be scared. "Of course I can," she said in answer to his question about casting an illusion on the children. "But it will take time to get them out of there." Not that casting an illusion really took much time, but illusions were meant to be cast on stationary things. Any fast movement would at best cause distortions in the illusion. Most likely, it would cause gaps in the illusion or allow glimpses through it. Either of those scenarios would get the lion's attention back on the children, and they couldn't let that happen. The children would have to walk away, not run, and that would take some time.

Still, it was the best option they had, so she took her opportunity to cast the illusion when the lion turned to face Fenrir. She didn't know enough about the creatures to know what they would and wouldn't attack, so she went with the one safe bet that she knew would prevent the lion from wanting to attack them. She made them disappear completely, although the illusion was visible only to the lion. After all, she and Fenrir would have a hard time helping the children if they couldn't see them. She turned to look at the children to gesture for them to head out of harms way, but one look at them cowering by the rock was enough to make her realize they wouldn't walk out on their own. They were too scared. If they did leave the shelter of the rock it would be at a run, and she couldn't let that happen.

She took a deep breath, knowing there was only one way to get the children out of there safely. "I need you to distract it," she said quietly, not wanting to draw the animal's attention. "I have them glamoured so the lion can't see them, but if they run the illusion won't work properly, and it will attack them. I need to cast the same illusion on myself so I can go get them and walk them out of here to make sure they don't make a fatal mistake."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:29 pm 

Fenrir could only nod before charging headlong towards the beast. "Alright! Looks like it's just you and me you big kitty!" He shouted as he tackled the big lion. He wrestled with the Thunder lion, praying that his armor would hold against its attacks.

He requipped a Jian blade that emitted thunder magic to try and combat whatever lightning it emitted from it. The monster and the Wolf of Fairy Tail fought until Fenrir knew Kyrin and the children were in a safe spot. "Hope that Kyrin signals me, then I'll knock the monster out and Requip to Kurosawa to catch up with them," he thought in his head as he dodged a bite from the creature.

"Yikes! What large teeth you have!" He said to mock the Thunder Lion. He'd follow through that plan in his head.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:23 am 

Kyrin took a deep breath, casting the illusion on herself to make herself invisible to the lion. Then she began to cross the open space to where the children were, going as fast as she could without breaking the illusion. Still, it felt like an eternity before she reached the children, and she was all too aware that the longer she took in getting them to safety, the more chance there was of something going wrong and someone getting hurt. Especially Fenrir, since he was in the most dangerous position out of any of them. She finally reached the children, crouching down to talk to them in a reassuring way. "My friend and I have come to help you," she told them calmly. "Don't worry, everything will be okay." She held out her hand to them. "Come on, I'll bring you home. The lion can't see you, so he won't be able to hurt you."

The children still looked rather frightened, but the younger one timidly took her hand, and she helped him up, the girl rising as well. "Now we're going to walk out of here, not run," she told them slightly sternly. "Animals are attracted to quick movement, and if you run, he'll see you." She didn't really want to scare the children, but she had to make sure they understood how important it was to keep calm. They paled a bit but nodded their understanding. She quickly glanced back toward Fenrir to make sure he was still alright. He seemed to be holding his own against the beast, so she turned back and began leading the children toward the edge of the clearing. Thankfully the children followed obediently, and they got there safely.

She lead them through the edge of the forest to the track they had gotten to get there before dropping her illusion on them and letting Fenrir know they were safe. She paused for a moment, drawing on her magic to send him an auditory illusion. "We're safe. I led them back to the trail." She wanted to wait for him to make sure he was still safe and had gotten the message, but she knew the children wouldn't be able to travel quickly, and she needed to put some distance between them and the lion in case it came after them again. She'd just have to trust that he would be fine. She began leading the children back down the trail toward the town, hoping he would catch up with them quickly.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:52 am 

Fenrir kept the monster distracted, from fighting it for several minutes to straight up wrestling it when he cut a tree in two as the monster glared and snarled at Fenrir. Fenrir paused to hear the message. "Right. I'll be there as soon as I can."

The thunder lion roared and prepared to strike when the falling tree knocked it on the head, causing it to go unconscious. Fenrir sighed, knowing that now was his best chance to leave. "Requip: Kurosawa!" the moment he summoned the Katana he entered the shadow of the tree stump.

Several minutes later in the shadow of a tree the children and Kyrin were passing by on the outskirts of the village Fenrir popped out of it. He dismissed the blade and stretched his back, "Shadow Travel is not so easy on the back." He muttered to himself. "That Thunder lion is knocked out. When it wakes it's gonna look for lunch elsewhere."

Fenrir sighed. "All in all, good mission Partner. Its official. We're a team now you and me." He stated with a smile as he raised his hand to her for a high five.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:05 pm 

Kyrin, of course, had no way of hearing Fenrir's reply, so the entire journey back toward the village was incredibly nerve-wracking. She had to keep a constant watch, expecting either Fenrir or the lion to appear at any second. Still, she hadn't expected him to suddenly appear out of nowhere just slightly off to the side. The movement scared her half to death, automatically reaching for one of her knives as she whipped around to face the motion. It was half drawn before she realized it was him and relaxed, pushing it back into its sheath.

She had to admit, though, that despite the scare, she was incredibly glad to see that he was alright. She went to return the high five, then hesitated. It would hardly be fair to him to accept a permanent partnership without telling him about the side-effects of her magic. After all, they would probably end up in dangerous situations, and any distractions on her part could be deadly. He needed to know about it. Not to mention, if he was inclined to reject her as a partner because of it, she would rather that happened now, rather than later after they'd been working with each other for a while. The rejection would hurt a lot more once she knew him better. So, although she didn't really want to, she quietly said, "Well, there's a conversation we should have before we make it official." She glanced over at the children, standing just a little behind them, then added, "But that can wait until we get back to the inn. We should get them back to their parents soon." After all, it was already getting pretty late.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:12 pm 

Fenrir watched her carefully before nodding. "Alright. We'll talk." He said as he helped lead the children back to the village.

By the time they got back to the Inn The Wolf of Fairy Tail was already stretching and getting ready for bed, pulling off his silver prosthetic. "So, what is there to discuss? You nervous about something that will make me rethink my position? Let me just say whenever I decide something that's that, one way or another." He affirmed to her as he stretched his legs. "Alright, so what seems to be the problem?" He honestly felt concerned that she was worried about something. So it was in his best interest to try and figure out what it was.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:05 pm 

Kyrin sat cross-legged on the bed, swallowing a bit uncomfortable. This was a conversation she really didn't want to have, but it was necessary. "Well, you already know about my magic. But my magic also has a... side effect... that could possibly interfere with my work. See, it affects me, and I can't control that. Essentially, it makes me... See things that aren't really there." She cleared her throat before continuing- "That's why my guild kicked me out, not bad behavior. The master felt that if anyone found out I would be an embarrassment to the guild." Maybe she shouldn't have added that last part and revealed she'd overheard his conversation with the guild master, but she just couldn't help but add it. She looked down, a bit embarrassed, adding, "I know you said you'd already decided, but I won't blame you if you want to back out of being my partner."