All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:15 pm 

Sort of back.

Medals: 16
Longest RP (1) Completed RP (2)
Dedicated Partner (1) Most Patient (3)
Blog: View Blog (59)

"Here we go again", the young woman thought to herself while getting to the place the organization she worked for referred to as "the headquarters". Every time she was called in, Victoria knew that something would happen. And this something wasn't always good. Well, it came with the territory.

"Good morning, Charlie", the girl greeted the expressionless man who guarded the entrance to the main office. His lack of expression had bothered Victoria at first, but now, three years in, she had gotten used to it.

"Good morning, Miss Victoria. You know how it goes", the man replied. With a nod, Victoria placed her purse on the ground near her feet and stepped forward, spreading her arms and standing still. The man pulled out something similar to a metal detector, and ran it over the young woman's body. After he finished, the man looked at a small visor and nodded. "You're good to go. Mr. Jones is waiting for you".

"Thank you, Charlie", the woman murmured, picking up her purse and walking through the open door, hearing it close softly behind her. Stepping into the main office, Victoria stared at Mr. Jones's (probably an assumed name) smiling face. Strangely enough, it felt like his smile was less meaningful than Charlie's lack of an expression. "Ah, Vicky, good morning", the man greeted her. "Always on time", the man continued.

"Please, do sit down. Your new partner will be here shortly".

"My... what?", Victoria replied, a note of annoyance clear in her voice. She didn't like the idea of simply getting a new partner, just like that.

"Your new partner. I know, I know, but you can't do this one alone. So, you need to take someone else with you", the man spoke quietly, yet firmly. "He should be here soon", he carried on, waiting for her to sit, and falling silent, as though he didn't really want to make small talk.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:20 pm 

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man

Medals: 6
Longest RP (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) 3rd Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (2)

That morning's walk had proved fairly successful. Aaron ran his fingers over the watch, newly acquired and still warm from the wrist of its previous owner. Smirking, the man turned the corner and merged with a crowd just as the shout from his latest victim met his ears. People never changed. He pulled a square of paper from his pocket, smoothing out the folds the best he could as to read the scrawled directions on it.

It didn't take too long to find where he was going, though it would have helped had he been a little neater with his note taking. Pushing the door open he was greeted, more or less, my a man who looked like his face would crack if he dared show an form of emotion. The man eyed him skeptically before going through what must have been a scripted speech of emptying his pockets, removing his jacket, etc.

He took his jacket off and emptied his pockets, watching the man **** an eyebrow at the number of watches, bracelets, and even a few wallets he produced and dumped in the box. Following the next set of instructions, Aaron stood with his arms out as the man ran the detector thing over him. This process was interrupted several times and Aaron was forced to work picks from seams in his pockets and shirt, and take several other small items from various other locations. By the time he was flagged through and had replaced everything, Aaron was sure the man was going to blow if the visibly rising redness from under his collar and clenched jaw was anything to go on.

He chuckled as he was directed to a small office, these people should have known what they were getting into when they contacted him. He opened the door and stepped into the oddly silent room. Taking a seat he turned to the woman next to him, scooting his chair closer.
"You must be Victoria." He extended his hand. "I've heard next to nothing about you, partner."He paused slightly before the last word, putting some emphasis on it with a grin on his face.

"Aster: Semi-master of Procrastination and Sage of Multitasking" ~ Yue
"Step aside Doctor Who, we have Asterous now~" ~ PaperMoon

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:46 am 

Sort of back.

The man on the door looked at Aaron, at first, with his usual polite disinterest. He was there to do a job, not to have opinions.

It was hard not to have an opinion on that young man, though. Used as he was to people like Victoria - neat and organized with her items -, Charlie didn't expect to see a large amount of items that probabaly didn't rightfully belong to Aaron be removed from his pockets. Even worse, he seemed to have even more items in unexpected parts of his person, or more properly, his clothes.

Fighting all of his personal urges, though, the man kept his lack of expression and tried to act as though nothing at all was out of the ordinary while directing Aaron to the office where the meeting would be held.

As soon as Aaron walked in, the man behind the desk nodded to him. He was late, but the man didn't seem impatient at all. The young woman sitting next to the chair Aaron was directed to take didn't look so happy. Still, she held out a hand and shook Aaron's firmly. "I guess I could say the same", she replied, obviously not interested in being best friends with her new partner. Mr Jones would definitely pay her for setting her up with this guy.

"Did you have a hard time finding the place?", the man asked, trying to dispel the awkwardness in the air.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:35 pm 

Aaron shook Victoria's hand, chuckling at her comment.

"We'll just have to change that now won't we?" He said before turning to the man behind the desk.

He recognized the voice from a phone call he had gotten a few days back when he had been asked to help with...well, what ever it was he was here for. To be honest, the details hadn't exactly been free flowing over the phone. He had been given the bare minimum, probably some sort of security thing, and directions on how to get here.

"No, not really. I pretty sure I've walked past this place so many times yet never actually been inside. Guess I can't say that anymore!" He laughed, leaning back in the chair until it was propped on two legs.

"So, I know we talked briefly on the phone the other day but can someone please tell me what the hell it is you want me to do? I mean, no offence, but don't you guys have people to do their jobs? Not that I don't appreciate the business, especially when it pays well."

He wasn't exactly sure if he was getting paid for this, but it never hurt to throw out the option.

"Besides, Vicki here doesn't seem to happy about this?" He pointed a thumb at Victoria, a faint smile on his lips. If this was who he was going to be working with he could already tell things were going to get strained.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:28 pm 

Sort of back.

Victoria nearly groaned when Aaron made that comment. She could feel it in her bones - he would not be the kind of person to take the job seriously. This guy better be good, she thought to herself, shooting a serious look to Mr. Jones. That man was always getting her into some kind of trouble, wasn't he? Sometimes, Victoria wondered why she even stayed around. Sure, it paid well, but that wasn't all. The job actually gave the young woman a sense of doing something important.

As for this guy... well, she wasn't really sure why he was here. Money? Curiosity? She didn't know. Well, she would probably learn what he was about as they worked together. There was no turning back now.

Mr. Jones started talking after Aaron's question, sparing Victoria from having to answer at the moment. "Of course we have people, but we can always use more. And I am sure you can use some extra money", the man replied.

Unlike Victoria, he didn't seem displeased at all. It seemed as though he was pretty relaxed. He knew enough about both Aaron and Victoria to know that they might have a hard time getting along. He also knew enough about them to know that they would make a fine pair.

"I will tell you all, and I ask that you do kept an open mind. I believe I must start with a question. What do you know about interdimensional travel?".

Neither Mr. Jones nor Victoria seemed to display any signs of hilarity at the question. As strange as it probably sounded, it seemed as though the man was being serious.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:23 am 

Aaron grinned at the man's comment on money.

"Couldn't we all." He laughed.

It wasn't like he was lacking in funds, he almost always had a fair amount on him in both cash and items. Sell a few watches, or bracelets and he could get a little more, but some parts of the year were a little slimmer in pickings, especially once the weather turned cool and people began to cover up their valuables. Any time he could get a little extra money was worth looking into.

Leaning back in his chair, he crossed his arms over his chest, tilting his head to the side ever so slightly, willing the man to go on. He was expecting some sort of missing items case that would require his skills in figuring out how the item could have been taken, or at least something along those lines. Getting one crook to sell out another for a little compensation. The last thing on his mind, if it even was, was the subject of interdimensional travel.

"I'm sorry, but did I hear that correctly? Last I checked we weren't living in a sci-fi film or whatnot." Aaron sat forward. "What the hell are you going on about?" He was half expecting this to be some kind of joke, or a sneaky way of getting the cops on his case for his minor theft. Luring him in before calling the ambush, he was in the perfect room for it too with only one door to escape from. But than again, why would they go to such lengths for a minor criminal when there were much more serious things going on in the city?

"You're serious about this aren't you?" Laughing slightly, Aaron shook his head.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:28 pm 

Sort of back.

The man shook his head when Aaron made the comment on everyone using some more money. He was sure he was right, but he was also sure that the man was not what he had expected. Sure, Mr. Jones knew that he wasn't dealing with a saint, but he would have thought twice had he known the man would have such a clashing personality with Victoria's.

When Aaron asked if he had heard correctly, both Mr. Jones and Victoria nodded. Neither of them seemed to be joking.

As the young man asked if he was serious, Mr. Jones nodded and stood up.

"Come on, I'll show you", the man invited. "You come too, Victoria, in case he has questions only you can answer", he completed, while Victoria also got up from her chair.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:32 am 

Aaron eyed the man as he stood. Could he really trust these people? After all, they were the ones who had brought up interdimentional travel as though this were some sort of freaky sci-fi film. 

What the hell was he going to show him? His mind raced with all sorts of possibilities, some illogical but thought of nonetheless. What if these people were aliens taking him to their mothership to abduct him into some freaky experiments? Or to take his brain out and replace it with...well he wasn't quite sure, but it wasn't good. 

He followed the two of them, bringing himself back into a rational mindset where he wasn't thinking about aliens and other fictional things, and more on how much money he could get for doing this if they had called for a specific man to do it.

"What exactly are you showing me?" He asked. 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:46 pm 

Sort of back.

Victoria was slightly amused right now. She loved it when new members were brought into the team and shown around. The look on their faces was priceless. She suspected she had looked dumbfounded as well, so there wasn't much she could say. Still, she wasn't the rookie anymore, this guy was, so she could enjoy it for now.

When Aaron asked what exactly he was being shown, it was Mr. Jones who answered. "Your new workplace, should you accept our invitation", the man replied simply.

The workplace the man referred to seemed like a storage room. There were some boxes around, and many, many paintings covering the walls, to the point where it was nearly impossible to find a piece of wall that was [i]not[i/] covered.

Both Mr. Jones and Victoria fell silent, waiting for Aaron to say something or ask a question. They were both curious about his reaction, and also about how imaginative he could be.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:34 pm 

Aaron was a little shocked at the answer he received. He wasn't sure what he had been expecting, but that this would be his work space was not it. It looked like a storage area rather than a place someone would actually work in. There were boxes stacked here and there and Aaron found himself wondering what was in them, likely papers and folders. His attention was than drawn to the walls that were very near completely covered in paintings of various scenes and time frames. He walked the length of one wall, his gaze flitting from one frame to the next. He didn't see any apparent pattern to them and soon turned back to Victoria and Mr. Jones. 

"So what's all this than?" He lifted his arms to indicate the numerous paintings that would give a museum a run for its money. "Your dark little secret?" He laughed. "I never would have taken you guys for art thieves, not that I know much about art." He said, casting his gaze back to the scenes painted around him. He wasn't sure what it was but there was something about these paintings, now that he was over the initial shock, that wasn't right.

"Where did you get them anyway?" 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:48 pm 

Sort of back.

Both Victoria and Mr. Jones waited patiently for Aaron to look around the walls of the warehouse. They had already seen those paintings a thousand times, since they had been taken into their custody, but they also knew that all of them were new to Aaron. So, they waited until he had the time to look around and absorb all of these scenes.

When Aaron asked where they had gotten the scenes, Victoria stepped forward. "Most of them are spontaneously brought to us by people in need of our help. We do seek others out, but no, we are not art thieves. Every painting you see in here has been given, sold or loaned to us with the promise of us returning it when we are done, which we always do".

Mr. Jones nodded. He walked up to one of the boxes and took a real-life sized picture of one of the paintings. It was a simple one, with a rural scene, a well, and a woman and a cow near the well. That was the picture. In the painting, though, there was only the woman near the well. "I won't ask if you notice a difference, because I respect your intelligence enough. But if you take each picture in those boxes and compare to the paintings that match them, you will see that something is missing within the painting. Would you like to go ahead and take a look, or would you like us to carry on?", the man asked politely.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:57 pm 

Aaron laughed when Victoria said they weren't art thieves. 
"Aww, come on sweets. I didn't mean to offend you. Besides, I didn't think you had it in ya to pull it off anyway." Frankly, he had never stolen a painting either so he really shouldn't be talking. Taking a few steps back to put some space between himself and Victoria should she decide to hit him, he watched Mr. Jones sift through one of the boxes and pull out a photograph. 

He looked from the photo to the matching painting hanging on the wall next to him. If all these boxes were full of pictures like this he didn't need to go scouting through them.
"I'll take your word for it. Now, can I get a straight answer for once?" He asked, crossing his arms. He had yet to be told what he was suppose to be doing. 
"And what do paintings and some weird pictures have to do with interdimensional travel?"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:10 pm 

Sort of back.

Victoria rolled her eyes when Aaron laughed. She really didn't like this guy, she had to admit. Working with him would be a pain in her rear end. Still, she knew they needed him. Oh, how she wished they didn't!

Shaking her head, Victoria kept silent and paid attention to the conversation between the two men. Mr. Jones turned to Victoria. "Would you like to do the honors?". Victoria nodded and turned to Aaron.

"It's simple. There is some sort of imbalance happening. Items or people are disappearing from some pictures, and it creates what we call butterfly effect within the dimension contained in the picture. If we don't settle things - by returning the items or people to their rightful places -, the imbalance grow to the point where whoever owns the item or is linked to the person will cross over to our dimension in search of whatever they have lost".

Before Aaron could say she was completely insane - she was sure he was thinking that by now -, Victoria offered something that, she hoped, would make him consider that they might be serious. "Would you like to see a demonstration of the travel method?".

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:05 am 

Keeping his arms crossed, Aaron rolled his head towards Victoria. 
"Yes, Victoria. Would you like to do the honours in telling me why the hell I'm taking time out of my day to look at some freaky photographs and pictures in a dank, and musty back room of yours?"

He listened to her explain this whole dimensional traveling and missing items thing.
"Now what part of that was suppose to me simple?" Was the first thing that came to mind.

He had been expecting, well, not that. Eyeing her skeptically when she asked if he wanted to see a demonstration, he finally sighed.

"Fine, but if this is as 'simple' as your explanation I'm out."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:46 pm 

Sort of back.

Victoria was getting more and more annoyed at Aaron's attitude. At every moment, she got more certain that he was not the kind of person she wanted to work with. Still, the boss felt that he would be useful, so she needed to at least try.

Traveling in and out of a painting was pretty uncomfortable for Victoria, but it had to be done. So, she nodded when he said a demonstration would be fine.

"Very well, just watch, it's not really complicated", the woman replied. She pulled something that looked like a pocket watch, or a compass, from one of her pockets and pressed it against the surface of the painting. A few seconds later, it seemed to turn into water - even though it didn't spill, or lose the picture it showed - and pull the woman inside.

It wouldn't take too long for her to do the same from inside and be 'pushed' out of the painting.

"Don't ask me to do it again, or I'll toss you in the painting and leave you in there", she said as soon as she was back out, not specifying which man she was talking to.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:42 pm 

Rolling his eyes, Aaron kept the smirk on his face when Victoria told him to watch. What did she expect him to do? Jump right in? He watched carefully as she pressed the watch to the painting...and go into the painting. His smirk gone, the man raised an eyebrow and looked at the now reappeared Victoria and Mr. Jones quizzically. 

"As tempting as that sounds, I'm going to have to pass." He commented on Victoria's threat. Turning serious for a moment, he tried to make sure he had this straight. 

"So you want myself and Vicky here to play lost and found to all these paintings? Tell me again why I got asked and not someone like your oh so joyous doorman? I'm sure anyone of them is qualified...if you can even be qualified in this sort of thing." It's not that he wasn't interested, and slightly suspicious, but the whole thin was bizarre and unheard of, not to mention risky.