All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 660 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 33  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:42 pm 

Medals: 4
1st Year (1) 2nd Year (1)
3rd Year (1) Veteran Member (1)
Blog: View Blog (1)

Kate slept soundly in Jasper's arms. It was the pop of the fire that caused her wake up. She was in the secure arms of her love when she opened her eyes with a start. "I thought that was a whip. Your arms must be tired. How long have I slept?" Kate gazed around the room for Abby and Matt they were not against the wall. She sat up and tilted her head as she looked at Jasper's calm features. His eyes glowed brightly in the firelight. "Where are Abby and Matt?" Kate sniffed the air. "I smell stag stew. Is Abby cooking? Did you sleep? I had the best sleep in a long time." She stretched her arms around Jasper's neck. "I think we can sleep upstairs tonight. I will put a protection spell on the cabin. I was too tired last night. Did you hear anything today? My stomach is growling and let us get dinner. Have you been with me all day?"
Kate pushed against the floor to stand then extended her arms to help him stand. "Have you eaten?"

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:28 am 

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man

Medals: 6
Longest RP (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) 3rd Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (2)

Abby and Matt had woken shortly after Kate had fallen asleep. Seeing that Jasper was with her, Abby had smiled before ushering the slowing waking up Matt towards the kitchen. 

Jasper had been listening for any signs of danger, on guard should anything happen, when Kate woke up. His attention immedietly turned to her when she moved. He considered Kate's question of how long she had been asleep, watching as she sat up and looked around the room.

"Not long, and they have gone into the kitchen." He answered her following question as well, following Kate's lead and sitting up as well. He felt his back crack and stretched his arms over his head with a groan. When she wrapped her arms around his neck, Jasper placed one of his own around her back. He shook his head no when she asked if he had slept.

"I was keeping watch. Nothing yet." He answered. 

It was as Kate stood and was helping Jasper up that Abby made her appearance, carrying a tray with steaming bowls on it. 

"He never left your side all day." She remarked, setting the tray down and putting her hands on her hips. "Not even when I offered him something to eat earlier." She shook her head at her brother, but the smile on her face showed she wasn't angry with him. Jasper ducked his head at the comments from his sister. Matt appeared next, looking like he too had just woken up again. 

"Can't say he was much help in there. More of a pest." Abby pointed a thumb at the boy who simply grinned before dropping onto the couch with a blanket wrapped around himself.

"You're just too uptight miss 'don't touch that, don't do that, Matt would you sit down already'." Matt laughed.

"Aster: Semi-master of Procrastination and Sage of Multitasking" ~ Yue
"Step aside Doctor Who, we have Asterous now~" ~ PaperMoon

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:26 am 

Kate eagerly took the bowl and dipped her spoon into it and blew it before taking a bite. "Mmmm. Delish. I did not realize I was so hungry. Abby, you are a good cook. Matt, you and Jasper get some sleep after you eat. Come sunup you can go hunt. I would rather you be outside watching each other's back. Abby and I will hold the fort. Matt, please keep quiet and obey Jasper. Watch yourselves. There is plenty of game. Neither of you take any chances. You see anyone come back here. Even if you see my father. Malora could be with him. Jasper thank you for staying with me. Please, both of you eat some lunch and rest. Abby rest too. Keep your wings oiled. Soon we will start working on strengthening your muscles so you can fly. Once you have rested we will begin lessons. Reading is good when you need to pass the time. I will teach you a few games. Life is dull without fun."

Kate hate sounding bossy like Princess Amanda but Matt and Jasper did well to know what was expected. Abby, Kate knew she could take of herself but was not sure how educated she was. After she ate the stew she sat beside Abby, "I need to know how much education have you have had. Can you spell your name and reads some common. I can get you ready to take classes by fall. You are a good cook. Who taught you?"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:41 am 

Abby was glad Kate liked it, she hadn't had the chance to cook in a long time and it felt good to be able to put her skills to the test again. She sat next to Matt, handing him a bowl as well while listening to Kate. 

"You don't need to tell me twice." Matt said, still wrapped in the blanket. He felt he could sleep for a few hours yet. When he finished eating, seeming to have inhaled his food, Matt curled up against the arm of the couch, already drifting off when Abby reached over him and tucked the blanket around him, and then collecting the dishes up.

Jasper didn't like the idea of leaving Kate and Abby alone. He knew they were both capable of looking after themselves but his sense of protection wouldn't keep quiet. He watched Abby tuck Matt in, and Kate move to sit next to her, his ears still swiveling to pick up any sounds.

"Go to sleep Jasper." Abby said, noticing the concern on her brother's face. She hoped he would listen as she turned back to Kate, listening to what she was asking. When asked if she could spell her name, Abby nodded. She had been taught a few things as a kid, including a start on her reading.

"I can read a little, use to know a lot more but didn't get to practice much." She admitted. She blushed a little at Kate's compliment.

"My mother taught me when I was little, and the cooks gave me a few pointers."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:05 am 

Kate smiled and strolled to Jasper, "Come, I will show you to your room. I will stay with you. Unless you rather sleep down here on the floor. Upstairs you can bath and change your clothes. Abby, Matt do you want to sleep upstairs? I am sure I can find clothes for us. Then when it is safe we can go back to town and shop. Matt, no more stealing. You will never starve again. Or do without. After your schooling, you will be ready to learn a trade. The manor has enough to keep us all busy. All of you will be earning wages. Abby, Anne could use an extra pair of hands. She is getting older. Matt you can help work in the cider house or warehouse. With your knowlege of fighting Papa may help you train new recruits. Jasper, I will get you ready to be knighted. Abby, I have not had the chance to tell you the Jasper has be asked to serve in King Atrius's elete. That is in service to his Royal guards."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:14 am 

Jasper watched Kate approach, listening to what she offered he made the decision easily.

"I would rather stay down here, just in case." His ears lowered slightly, worried Kate would disagree and force him upstairs anyway. 

Abby nudged Matt, earning a groan from the boy as he sat up, rubbing his face. 

"Time to go already?" He asked around a yawn.

"No, but we're moving upstairs." Abby explained, rolling her eyes when Matt slumped against her side. When he heard Kate addressing him, Matt sat up straight before ducking his head with an embarrassed smile.

"Yes ma'am." He muttered, head down.

Abby smiled at Kate's little announcement.

"Really? That's great news!" She made her way over to her brother and threw her arms around his neck, hugging him close. "Jaspy, I'm so proud of you!" Abby said. Jasper looked a little in shock but recovered quickly enough to return his sister's hug before she pulled away. 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:05 am 

Kate watched Abby embraced her brother. Jasper was surprised and hugged her back. He was getting affection as he deserved and Kate was happy. "Jasper made a fine impression on King Atrious and his skills will come in handy for training. This will allow us to be together when I go to Seville. He needs to be educated before he can be knighted. The royal guard rarely sees battle. They protect the castle and the royal family. I have made you brother my personal guard. One day he will ready to earn his own wages. Being at my side he is safe and he can adjust at his own pace. Abby, I am so happy with the progress he has made. Your being here has helped him."
Kate hugged Jasper, slowly stroked his cheek and smoothed his hair. "You make no sudden moves around Jasper. Never approach him from behind. Abby, you can touch his face. Keep your movements very slow and gentle. He will not flinch as much. He is too accustomed to being hit. You already know he loves being held."
Kate looked at Matt as he stood up holding the blanket, "Matt. I can only guess your the same."
She kissed Jasper on the cheek. "Sleep where you want. I will be with you shortly."
Kate faced Matt before she led him upstairs, "Matt how are you fairing? Let me see your bruises once you get your room. You may bathe and I will get you fresh clothes. Don't worry I will not hover you. Should you wish to talk I will listen and never make fun of you."
She glanced at Abby, "Do you want your own room?"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:55 am 

Abby listened to Kate, all the while smiling at her little brother. She was so proud of him, going from nothing to royal guard material! She only wished she had been around sooner. When Kate said that her being here had helped Jasper, Abby looked down, biting her lips before once more making eye contact with her brother. She hadn't really down all that much she thought, aside from attacking Kate on numerous occasions.

Jasper had remained still, eyes forward, and ears listening as Kate spoke and Abby left her hand lingering on his shoulder. He felt a little like he was on display as they talked about him, thus when Kate hugged him, he melted into the touch.

Matt nodded in Kate's direction at her comment. Yeah, he had been hit before, last night being evidence of that, but often he had actually done something to deserve it. Angering a guard, making a comment, it always earn him a swift backhand. He met Kate's eyes with a tired gaze, simply nodding when she asked to see his bruises when they got upstairs, his mind not awake enough to come up with anything else. 

"Really tired is all." He answered the mage's first question, covering his mouth with his arm as he yawned. Abby watched all this in silence, jerking slightly when Kate asked her if she wanted her pwn room.

"If you don't mind, got to get away from the boys for a little." She laughed, earning a small grin from Jasper for a second before his face fell into an unreadable expression as he stared into the fire. He had watched Kate get up and move towards Matt, but had soon let his gaze slip from them to the fire.

Jasper waited until they went upstairs before quietly shifting into his Savannah form and padding towards the window ledge. Standing on his hind legs with his front paws on the ledge, Jasper's ears turned every which way as he listened for anything, his eyes scanning the area he could see. When nothing was found, he got down and settled in front of the fire, his head resting on his paws as he stretched out. If anything or anyone did come, they would be going through him first.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:16 am 

Kate led the three upstairs and pointed at the hall, "Take any room you want. Each room has a private bathroom. They are all similar in decor just not as ornate as the manor. The rooms have a beautiful view and comfortable beds. You will find clothes for men and women. Abby, I will alter clothes for you. Ann left a sewing machine downstairs. We will here a week or two. Make yourselves at home and if you get bored there is a game room off the den. I will show you around the chalet. You need anything just let me know."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:23 am 

Matt and Abby followed Kate, Abby casting one last glance to her brother who seemed to be lost in his own mind, before climbing the stairs behind Matt. She had made sure he didn't fall down as he appeared to be falling asleep on his feet. She almost laughed to herself as Matt stopped outside of the first door he came across.

"Get some sleep Matt, you're no good to us like this." Abby said, feeling like a mother speaking to her children. Matt simply nodded, fumbling with the doorknob before stumbling into the room. Abby shook her head as he did so before turning to Kate, a serious, yet concerned look on her face.

"What do we do if they find us? Matt's in no shape to fight, and Jasper seems..." She paused, trying to find the right words. "Lost, like he doesn't know what to do with himself." She finally said. "You've come to know him fairly well, is he okay?" Abby asked, hoping Kate had an answer.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:03 am 

Kate saw Matt was about to fall asleep and could understand Abby was worried, "They have not found us and this is filled with secret passages. At least Matt is not in pain. The side effect of the tea he drank makes one sleepy. I will stay close if Jasper hears anything. No. Jasper is like that when he is given a task and he has been like that since we met. He looks like he is far away because that is how he copes. Terrible things have been done to him and he was made to kill. Abby, it will take him years maybe a lifetime to adjust to settling into who he is. He needs time, patience, and healing. He is on high alert and in fight mode all the time. He is only able to relax when held. The night terrors plague him. Right now he is confused and never was allowed to have freedom. He is learning to speak freely. I am sorry what has happened to him. He is coming to know what freedom is. They broke him and I am trying to fix him. He is slowly unlearning what was beat into him. He was not allowed to speak only obey. He had no idea what freedom was when we first met. I am sure glad he is here and not there. He has lived in terror too long."

Kate looked in on Mat found him on a bear rug curled up. She placed a blanket over him." See Matt is much like Jasper in that if I woke him he would either fight or run and hide. I am sure Matt has his ways to cope is run. He may seem stronger but he just as scared. You can tell by his eyes, ears, and tail. They are high alert even asleep. Only if held can they partly relax. Jasper is getting better. Matt, his ears never stop moving nor his tail."

Kate light stepped out and slowly closed the door, " I am wondering about you. You have a hard time too. How can I help you feel safe. I know you want to be friends. You are afraid to let your guard down too. How long has it been you had someone care about you?"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:14 am 

Abby hated hearing about the bad things that had happened to her brother, and as Kate explained, she wished even more so that she could have been there for him. She had replayed the scene from her childhood over and over in her head, when she had been taken from her family. Her attention was once more caught by Kate's questions.

"I'm fine, really." She gave Kate a small smile to try and prove it. "How do you do it Kate? How do you not just snap when your patience has worn thin? How can you take all of us in so easily and not make a big deal when one takes off, another needs so much work, and still another starts off getting to know you by lashing out?" Abby shook her head, letting her gaze turn to the floor at Kate's last question.

"Too long, much too long."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:27 am 

Kate thought a moment, "I guess I try first to put myself in your place. Could I have blamed you for being angry at your treatment by the mages. Thet thought they were doing right and I could tell it was all wrong. You were not a being they needed to be afraid of. You needed kindness and to see your brother. I saw how much you wanted him. It was awful to see your face strained behind the glass and it broke my heart. If I was in your place and it was Jon. I want that glass removed. I would be ready to fight. You were so weak from not eating. Abby, I am so sorry. That was not what I wanted for you. How can I make it up to you? How can I make you feel better?""

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:38 am 

Abby shook her head again.

"You've done more than enough already. You took care of Jasper, something I couldn't do." Abby folded her hands together. "Do you have any idea how often I wondered if he was even still alive? If I would ever see my baby brother again?" Tears that Abby had been holding back slipped through, and she quickly wiped them away.

"Look at me, crying over the past. I can't change it. I think I just need some time to process it all, you know, get back into the mindset that not everyone wants to do me harm." Abby admitted, briefly meeting the mage's gaze. 

"I should probably get some sleep, and you should rest too Kate. It's been a long day."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:32 am 

Kate watched her wipe away the tear, "Abby, none of this is your fault. You were a child yourself and you could not stop the forces of Dark Magic. You would have been harmed. You could not have protected Jasper. He survived. Now your together and have the rest of your lives to be together. I will not separate you. Where I go you will come with me. Matt is strong and he will make his own way. Jasper will need us both for a very long time. This is a happy time and soon this will be a memory that drew us closer. I know we are all tired. You are a brave woman Abby. I am glad to have you as my friend. Jasper and I, I do love him. I hope that is alright with you. I know I do not have to ask. But he is your brother. May I court him? According to our customs, it can more than a year to marry. It is a rather lengthy process. Jasper, I let go at his own pace. I just challenge him a little to make his own decisions."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:47 am 

Abby knew she had to accept that she couldn't have done anything to change what had happened, but it was still one of those things that would bothered her for some time yet. The woman was caught off guard by Kate's asking her if she could court her brother. She took a few moments, making sure she had heard correctly and hadn't some how imagined the whole thing.

"I...I mean. Wow." She finally managed to say. She took another couple of moments to try and string some more comprehensible words together.

"Kate, yes, of course. But, isn't it usually the other way around where the man courts the woman?" She was happy for Jasper, and Kate. The mage had helped her brother when she couldn't, and she could tell that Jasper loved her as well. 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:08 am 

Kate hugged her, "I agree the circumstances would be different. You are his family and the situation being what it is, I will give Jasper all the time he needs. I am falling for him and he is not arrogant or pretentious. He is not going after me like some want to date the Lords daughter to get rich. Jasper is being himself and he is no killer, Abby. He just unlike any man I have met. He is like an equal I can talk to him and he does not judge. He is slow to anger and takes his time making decisions. I respect that. He tries and is a quick learner. He has a lot to overcome and I never met one braver. You are a lot like him too. More than you know."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:27 am 

Abby knew Jasper wasn't a killer, she had known that since he was a little boy too timid to venture very far on his own. Everything Kate was saying about her brother Abby knew was true. Jasper was special. Being reunited with him, Abby had seen that he hadn't changed much. He was still the little kitten she had held close when he had been scared, and dragged along on adventures to watch the pit fighters like their father.

She still regretted bringing him to that fight, the one where they had watched their father fall in battle. The memory was only made worse now having learned that Jasper had been trained to be one of those fighters. She still couldn't picture her little brother fighting in the arenas. 

"I don't know. Maybe he's changed from when we were kids." Abby said in reply to Kate's comment on them being similar. "He was always so innocent, and I was the one that dragged him into trouble." Abby smiled slightly, remembering the many times she had forced her little brother out of his comfort zone.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:53 am 

Kate released her and stood out in the hall, "I need let you sleep. He is going be alright and so are you. Never dwell on the past it just makes you feel bad. Think of the fun we will have. We will bake gingerbread men, pop popcorn, go for sleigh rides, make snow people, and sing, and decorate our rooms. We will feast like kings and eat sweets. Once Malora is gone we will have fun."

Kate patted Abby's back, "You will wear pretty clothes and beads in your hair. I will see you fly. The boys will play in the snow like they were kids. Have sweet dreams. See you in a bit."

Kate waved at Abby and scurried downstairs. Jasper was never moved from his position. She called his name not to frighten him, "Jasper, can I get you anything? What have you been thinking? Oh. It's snowing. She sat on her knees facing the back of the couch with the window wide open. She placed her arms in front of her. Is it lovely? She turned and faced Jasper, "It could snow for days now. You sleepy?"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:10 am 

Abby nodded and wished Kate a goodnight before entering one of the rooms. She sunk down onto the bed, thinking about what the mage had said before realizing just how tired she was and preparing for bed.

Jasper heard Kate coming down the stairs and turned one ear in her direction without lifting his head. When she called his name he got up watched her with his head tilted slightly. He watched as Kate looked out the window as the falling snow before quietly jumping up and placing his front paws on the back of the couch as well. He shifted into his human form, keeping his gaze on the snow, his ears moving as Kate spoke, picking up all sounds.

He didn't feel tired, at least not as much as he had. He also didn't need anything at the moment, though he appreciated Kate asking. As he watched the snow falling, he tried to figure out what it was that he wanted. It was still new, trying to express his own wants but Kate was making it easier. Jasper turned to face the fire once more, his tail curling beside him as he thought.

A few moments passed before Jasper could pinpoint what it was he wanted, he wanted affection. Almost shyly he looked to Kate, his gaze shifting from her to the floor as he tried to express himself.

"Kate..." Jasper's ears lowered slightly at the thought of the request. "Could I...may I have a hug?" It felt odd asking, and Jasper worried about how childish he had sounded having such a hard time asking for something so simple that he kept his head down. He would understand if she said no, but he hoped that she wouldn't.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 660 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 33  Next