All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 660 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 33  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:43 am 

Medals: 4
1st Year (1) 2nd Year (1)
3rd Year (1) Veteran Member (1)
Blog: View Blog (1)

"I see you are pleased with going to the circus. I will try to find some way we can go and hope that Malora does not find us. I am sure Papa is worried. We will stay here a few more days. How do you feel about learning? I do not want you to think all these plans about your future are set in stone. Jasper, you do not have to do anything you do not want to."

She checked the pots one more time before taking Jasper's hand and leading him to the couch.
"I want you to know you can me I am wrong. If there is another trade you want to learn or you need time to consider other work. That is alright too. What matters to me is that you enjoy your life. I want you to be happy also. You deserve a lot of happiness now. It has been denied you and no one should go through life as you have."

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:03 am 

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man

Medals: 6
Longest RP (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) 3rd Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (2)

Jasper still was unsure where he stood on the idea of being allowed to do things. It was still a weird feeling, one that was taking a long time to get use to. He was again grateful for Kate's patience and understanding with him.

He considered what Kate had asked him about learning. In truth, it scared him a little. Formal learning was something he had never done, all the learning he had ever done had been accomplished by watching others and practicing that skill until he could do it. More often than not it was only because he had to learn or be punished. On the other hand, he needed to learn if he wanted to work with the guards. Jasper was curious as to what this all entailed, he was good at working with his hands, but book learning? That was something he had never done, and surely by now he was way behind where he should be. 

He didn't know what his other options were. Learning was a requirement he assumed for most things so there really was no getting out of it. He didn't know how he was with numbers, or writing, or anything else that he thought would be included. His ears laying flat, he tried to voice his concerns to Kate.

"What if I'm no good?" He asked. He had never had to do or learn any of these skills that everyone seemed to take for granted.

"Aster: Semi-master of Procrastination and Sage of Multitasking" ~ Yue
"Step aside Doctor Who, we have Asterous now~" ~ PaperMoon

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:15 am 

Kate held his hand and leaned next to him as they sat on the couch.

"Let me be the judge. Is a new skill. Love, I will go at your pace. I think we will begin at the beginning and I will choose things you can relate to. Will start with common ABCDE. I will show you how to write your name. How far can you count?"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:31 am 

Jasper trusted Kate, he knew she would stay true to her word and not give him more than he could handle. His ears pricked a little, not quite as tense as he had been moments ago as he listened to Kate. He had never had to write his name before, that had been the job of the slave handlers to make sure that everyone was identified with name, which was rarely if ever used. 

He tried to think about how far he could count, memories of when he had been whipped, or punished with multiple strokes. He could almost hear the man with the whip counting off each lash, causing Jasper to wince and shy away from Kate before he returned to the present. 

"Sorry." He apologized to Kate, his gaze lowered to the floor. "About forty." He said in answer to her question.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:39 am 

Kate placed her free hand on his upper back. "We will replace bad memories with good. Do you know common letter or mews? I learned mews mostly by hearing, not really written. Here common is spoken and written. Mathematics you may know some. We will start with a nice treat. Do you know how to make a pie? What is your favorite?"

Last edited by LadyKate43 on Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:55 am 

Jasper felt Kate's hand on his back and remained still. He focused on her words, allowing them to calm him and bring him fully back to the present. 

"Neither written." He answered Kate's question of whether he knew either of the two. "I can speak mews sort of." He admitted. It wasn't a skill he had fully developed, but it wasn't completely absent like so many others. Jasper was a little caught off guard by the sudden change in subject from math to pie, but he knew that Kate knew what she was doing. He shook his head no when she asked if he knew how to make a pie, that had been left to the civil servants, and girls. He had to think about his favourite though, having been given few opportunities to try many. He tried to remember the few types he had tried. Finally after a few moments of thought he gave an answer, though he was a little hesitant in giving it.

"Cherry." It sounded more like a question than a statement, as though Jasper were asking permission.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:09 am 

She pats his back, "That is my favorite too. Have you had chocolate cream? Ann's make the best. Would you like to help me make a pecan pie tomorrow? I can teach you fractions measuring ingredients. The best way to understand the basics is cutting a pie. There is one in the icebox. Do you like coconuts?
Ann made some coconut pies this summer and they are always kept frozen. In the fall she makes pumpkin pies. We have apple desserts year around."

She looked at the hourglass, "We have time for a lesson. Your first letters are ABCDE."
"This is how children learn the ABC's." Kate sang the ABC song.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:10 am 

Jasper listened to Kate's questions, trying to come up with the answers as quickly as she was asking. Eventually, he just sat quietly. He had heard of many of the things she was listening, but had never tried them for himself. Those things had been deemed unsuitable for slaves. Jasper had mixed feelings when he was made aware that they had time for a lesson right now. He focused his attention on Kate, trying to ignore everything else around him. He had to get this right, failure was not acceptable. 

Jasper drew a sharp inhale when Kate began singing. He had not been expecting this, that children would learn in such a way. He had his head to the side slightly, listening to the letters and trying to remember them. He gave up half way through, not being able to recall most of what Kate had said. Jasper pulled his ears back in frustration. This was something children could do! His fingers tapped on his leg, needing to be doing something other than being idle. 

"Could you repeat, slower please." Jasper asked shyly, a little embarrassed at having to ask such a thing.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:18 am 

Kate did not realize he was following her song so closely. "Jasper, the only letters you need to remember are A,B,C,D and E. As for the song sure I will sing it slower. I do not expect you to have this memorized. I am showing how children learn letters. It all takes repetition over weeks. I have a book somewhere that showed letters and a picture of an object that begins with the letter. An example is the first letter is A and the object is apple. I will teach you words after you know a few letters. Another way to learn is place names on cards and place cards by objects in the house. Love, there are many ways to learn. I will have to find out how best you learn. I will try to make it fun too."

Kate sang the song again slower and looked at the hourglass. "A,B,C,D and E. There are 24 letters you will need to know. This may take you weeks to memorize. Over the next few days remember A,B,C,D and E. Fifty, Sixty, Seventy are the next sequence of numbers. I will write them after super. You may ask me again, again, and again many times as you need to. Then I will give more to learn. Is not fair to give you a day and expect you to have memorized all this. It may take you days to weeks. Some things you may learn quickly. Weekly I will quiz you. Nothing will happen if you make a mistake. Mistakes are going to happen. I will not hurt you. So you forget. We move on once you can repeat it and write it. I bet you will know every letter and count to 100 in a month. You will be baking bread and pies in a week."

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:16 am 

Jasper was relieved that he only had to remember the first five letters, it was a lot of pressure off of him that he hadn't realized he had had. He had not realized that there were so many ways to learn something other than just being told to do it with a threat over his head. He had been taught that if he couldn't learn how to do something quickly, he would be punished for it. Part of that idea still remained and was likely the reason why he was trying so badly to learn these letters. Kate said it took weeks for children, but would that apply to him as well? Could learning really be fun?

As Kate repeated the song, Jasper listened with full concentration, determined to memorize what he had to. He repeated the first five slowly under his breath, faltering a few times. His eyes quickly found hers at the mention of weekly quizzes.

"What...what if I don't have it in a week?" He knew Kate would not hurt him, but would she be disappointed? Angry? Children learned this for goodness sake! His ears remained lowered at Kate's expectation of him in a month. 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:26 pm 

Kate rubbed his back, "My love, nothing will happen if you do not get this in a month. You do only what you can at your pace. It has taken me twelve years because kids learn slower. You are not a child. You have been disiplined harshly. Do you fear learning? Of course you do. You are going to be alright. If the most you can do is train others to fight no shame in it. You do what you know best. I can only ask is that you try to become a learned gentleman. It is not all important if you don't work as king's guard. That is alright. I think know more about reading, science, and history this time next year. I will take you with me no matter where I go." Kate looked at the hour glass and it was almost empty on top. "Go and get the others please, dinner is ready."

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:09 pm 

Jasper allowed himself to be soothed by Kate's hand on his back, as well as her words. He didn't want to disappoint her, he knew she wanted him to try so many things and get into the king's guard. Jasper understood that Kate saw no shame in him not being able to meet those expectations, but he still felt obligated to do so. Part of his previous 'training' making it so he needed to strive for some goal, to make his mistress, or in this case, Kate happy. She had been so happy for him to be given the chance to be in the king's guard, and he knew he couldn't let her down. The only problem was getting there. Heck, he didn't even know how best he learned! It wasn't as though he had ever been given a book and told to read, or to write anything out. He was trained for one thing, and one thing only. 

Jasper looked up from where he gaze had dropped when Kate told him to go get the others. He could do that, he could follow orders, this was familiar territory. He knew he had to shake this way of thinking, but it was so much easier just to fall back into it, easier, and less intimidating. Nodding, Jasper stood and made his way to the stairs to wake Abby and Matt, quietly repeating the first few letters he was expected to remember as he went.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:40 pm 

Kate hated to see how easily he followed what she asked. But she was catious not to let him slip. This was something she needed while she got supper ready. She plated the food and made tea and hot cocoa. Then placed the desert into the warmed oven. She understood Jasper was worried to learn. She woykd have to make it fun. Then teaching Matt would be a challenge. He was so active. That would be easy give him chores and teach him wile he was busy. Abby could have her old books and she would be ahead. Tonight would be their first lessons. Writting their names, simple numbers, and learn to spell. History, science and cooking. That is where to start.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:45 pm 

Jasper knocked lightly on Abby's door, waiting with his hands behind his back and his head down until she opened it.

"Hey, Jasp." His sister said, one hand raised to cover a yawn. Rubbing the sleep from her eyes, she took a look at Jasper and stepped forward, resting a hand on his shoulder. 

"What's wrong? Is everything okay?" Jasper simply nodded and met her blue eyes with his own green. 

"It's nothing. Supper's ready though." He answered, turning away from her to approach Matt's room. Abby watched him go before descending the stairs and following her nose to the kitchen. 

"What's going on with Jasper?" She asked as soon as the mage was within sight. Abby stood behind a chair, her hands gripping the back of it tightly. 

Meanwhile, Jasper had been greeted by a sleepy Matt who looked as though he had just crawled out of bed. The blanket from before was long forgotten, and the boy's hair was sticking up all over his head. 

"I hope you've come to say there's food cause I'm starving." The younger said, earning a small smile from Jasper. As Matt ducked around Jasper to start walking down the hallway, Jasper noticed something he hadn't before. On the back of Matt's neck, just before his shirt covered the skin was a mark, shaped almost like a star. Jasper figured it must be a birthmark. Thinking back he could only ever remember seeing a mark like that once before. Storing this away for later, he followed Matt into the kitchen where Kate and Abby were waiting.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:29 pm 

Kate handed Abby a plate of food, "Jasper is fine. Your lesson will begin after supper. We start with writing your names. Then I am going to see where each of you are in reading common. Matt your not sitting down I want you to be as active as you want. What letters do you know in common language and this will be hard on your mind. I need to know how far you can count. Each of you will probably be on different levels. I want this to be fun. Do not be afraid if you make a mistake or need to ask a question. There is no laughing at or teasing each other. Anyone breaks those rules will get extra duties, homework, and sent to their room. I will never hit you or torture you. Now you may get your drinks and extra food. I have dessert in the oven. You pay attention and follow my instructions you get dessert and a reward. You will get your own box you draw a picture of a reward you want at the end of each day. This is to get you in the habit of studying. Tomorrow will 15 minutes of learning and you give me a sheet of what you have learned. I expect to be not be filled until we are writing full sentence. At the end of each week, you get quizzed. This is a learn at your own pace. I go too slow or too fast, tell me. You ask questions by raising your hand if it a group lesson. I at times will give you time to work as a group. We will have trivia games where you work together for the answer. The answer is given by the person holding the talking stick. No fair blurting, saying an answer unless I call your name or hand you the stick. Do you accept my rules? I will write them down and you sign your names once you can spell. For now, this is a verbal contract and you disagree let me know."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:49 pm 

Abby accepted the plate easily enough, but paused at what Kate said next. 

"Lessons? As in school?" She raised a brow at the mage, taking a seat as she did so. "In case you haven't noticed, I'm not exactly a student." Abby couldn't exactly see herself being taught like a child, that time had come and gone. Her attention was taken off of this momentarily as the boys joined them in the kitchen. Matt was just about to drop into a chair when Kate said he wasn't sitting down. He held his hands up in surrender before a grin broke out on his face. 

"That I can do." He saluted the mage before pulling a plate of food towards himself. He didn't miss Abby's eye roll. Jasper silently took his own seat, having already know this was coming. 

When Kate said there would be no laughing or teasing, Abby and Matt made eye contact, having a feeling that it was directed at them. A mischievous grin from the boy told Abby that she would need to keep an eye on him as it was likely he would try to get her in trouble just for the fun of it. 

As Kate finished, Abby pointed to Matt. 

"I don't think he'll be able to follow them." She said with a smile.

"Says you!" Matt shot back. "You'll probably me the first one to get extra housework." He laughed, earning a scowl from the winged woman. Jasper continued to remain silent, looking between the two as they argued before glancing to Kate with concern. 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:34 pm 

"Matt all I can ask is that you try. We will find what works best. It may be a mixture of keeping up your fight training while you recite. How well are you at reciting while moving?"

Kate looked over at Abby, "There is always learning as an adult. We have to find subjects that interest you. I could use your help making potions, salves, soaps, perfume, and hair tonics. These can be sold in shops and you will earn a wage. Ann could use an assistant in the kitchen. All of us can learn how to fix food and sell it."

"Jasper, you are in good company as you adjust. All of us will learn together. I will get your books as soon as we are rid of Malora. You and Matt will earn wages working at the manor. Papa will speak to you both. Are you not afraid of physical labor earning wages? No one will harm you."

Kate made sure all had their food and drinks before eating. Table manors begin at breakfast. Abby, you help by teaching the young men how to set a proper table. There will be times you will be asked to attend dances, banquets, and festivals. You will not have to go any fancy functions this year. I will take you to Heidi's for music and meals. Each of you will learn to play an instrument of your choice."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:58 pm 

Matt turned his attention to Kate, but not before sticking his tongue out at Abby.

"Can't say I've ever had to recite much of anything while moving about. Worth a shot I s'pose." 

Abby listened to Kate when she addressed her. She wasn't exactly pleased being told that she could help make potions and what not, or work in a kitchen. As a girl she had always dreamed of doing something different, not being stuck in the traditional women's role. She could remember a time when she had wanted to be a warrior, but that idea had been cut short after watching their father fall in battle, and now that she had discovered what had happened to Jasper.

When it came to be Jasper's turn to be addressed, he listened carefully, but could feel his face warming at being singled out. He knew he could do physical labour, it would be something he could do without having to overthink it. 

Once more, Abigail did her best to not show her annoyance at having to be the "proper" lady she was expected to be. Setting tables and learning all the table manners. 

"Seems there's no escape from the set gender roles." She said quietly. 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:10 pm 

Kate took a bite of food and sip of tea, "What would like to do? You remind me of Sara. She is not going to be a domestic. I am happy with what makes you happy. If any of you want to try something new I am fine with it. This is a good time to speak your minds."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:22 pm 

Abby was a little embarrassed that Kate had heard her. She tried to think of an answer, her mind suddenly going in all different directions. 

"I...well..." She was at a loss for words, and proper ideas. It was true she didn't want anything to do with being a domestic, but what did she want instead?

While Abby thought, Matt spoke up.

"So...what exactly do mages do?" He asked, meeting Kate's eyes. "Is it like the stories say with magic and spells and such? Do you have to be born with it, or can anybody do it?" He asked, casting a quick glance down at his own hands. Abby wasn't sure how she would feel if Matt was able to use magic, he was annoying enough without it. 

Jasper was in the same place as Abby, he didn't know what he wanted to do even though this was not the first time he had been asked. He had experience with very few things, fighting, and following orders. Outside of that, most other things were foreign to him. He also didn't think Kate would allow him to do any sort of fighting anymore, something that, despite his past was a little hard to take.

"Travel." Abby finally said. "I want to travel and discover new things instead of being stuck in one place. No offense." She added at the end, not wanting Kate to take it the wrong way.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 660 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 33  Next