All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 6:10 pm 

can horses get songs stuck in their heads

Medals: 1
Gif Hunt Participant! (1)
Blog: View Blog (0)

The first time it happened, no one had really paid much attention. It was a visceral death, sure, one that had covered the papers in pictures of gore and blood. Yet, it was easy to explain away. A hunter dead in the forest, with claw and bite marks? It was a case that was as closed as soon as it was opened. A bear attack, a stray dog, whatever it was, it wasn't worth anybody's time, and everyone forgot about the case.

Until the next time. The next time, it wasn't as easy to explain away. A family found dead, hearts gone, the only sign of someone else having being the red velvet of a deer's antlers. After that, it wasn't hard for the finger pointing to start. Talk of mythical creatures and wendigos spread through the town faster than the police and media could keep up with, and the situation quickly turned mad. Witch hunts and murders popped up in towns overs, brothers killing each other because even the threat of wendigos was enough to send people into a frenzy.

A month later, the body count has risen to ten, and the town of Youngsville has almost become a ghost town. No leads, nowhere else to go, the citizens are terrified to leave their homes. The last body was found 13 hours ago, a young girl who had been traveling home from school. Now, the police are getting desperate. They need someone more suited to this talk of wendigos and monsters to help them.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:15 pm 

eyy, senpai!

Medals: 14
GM of the Month (1) Longest RP (2)
Completed RP (1) Best Entrance (1)
Blog: View Blog (3)

Deaths in the woods were nothing special, really. At least not until the body count started growing without an end in sight. Small town or not, when a place started going mad with paranoia over mythical creatures, it started to attract attention. Most of it came from people who mocked the beliefs of the yokels going on about monsters, but some of it came from people who believed. People who had encountered things similar, tracked them down, and killed them to protect others from the dangers they presented. It was a thankless job, but an important one, and someone out there had to do it. Youngsville's situation was a standout. Monster sightings were common, and most knew when to ignore one. Simple things like bigfoot sightings, talks of monsters that didn't really match up with known information, and killings that weren't necessarily anything a human or wild animal couldn't do. Most of them were safe to put down to misinterpretation and superstition.

But sometimes, it became too much to ignore. A whole town reduced to a paranoid mess that managed to add to the supposed body count themselves was at least worth an investigation. Within the region, a few hunters had been discussing who would get the honors of arming up and heading out, whether to kill some monsters or just set things straight with the locals. One of them won out, through a few intense games of rock-paper-scissors, some flipped coins, and a few thrown darts. Competition in the hunting community kept things fun, and generally brought out the ones who really wanted the job. With a car full of supplies and a case full of high-powered firearms, one of the hunters drove out to town, arriving the day after the last body had been uncovered.

An unassuming old truck pulled up near the town's police station, devoid of any identifying markers other than a rosary hanging around the rear view mirror and a dent in the front bumper. The vehicle was turned off, and out of it stepped the lucky hunter who was investigating, an adult man of mixed ethnicity that looked to be somewhere in his early 30s. Tan skin, very dark brown hair, and an average face gave him an unassuming, but still approachable look. Perfect for someone of his occupation, really. He strolled into the station, and approached the front desk's attendant.

"Hey there," He began, speaking with a friendly, but professional tone. "I've heard this town's had some trouble with some wildlife recently? I might be able to help you folks out there. I'm something of a 'specialty' hunter. Bears, boars, cougars, other things causing a hassle, I can help take care of it." What the 'other things' were, these folks didn't need to know. At this point, it was likely impossible, but if he could handle the town's trouble and leave with the locals convinced their monsters were just some very vicious wildlife, he'd do his damnedest to try. "If the woods need some cleaning up, I'm your guy."

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:52 am 

The attendant looked the man up and down, pen clicking rapidly before she spoke. "You're one of those monster hunter types, aren't you? Feeding into our troubles. If you think you're gonna actually help, the chief is down the hall, last door you'll see. Otherwise, we don't need any more of this monster nonsense. The town is bad enough as it is. "

Meanwhile, a short and stocky young woman was sitting in one of the chairs, fingers tapping on her knees. Not another monster hunter, not now. This was bad enough, everyone looking for her like this. Now a professional? She would be dead before she could explain herself.

Being a wendigo did always have its disadvantages. The hard to hide sharp teeth, the sunken in eyes, the lust for human flesh. It made it a bit hard to fit in, but she had always managed. Go to the morque, chomp on a body or two, and she was set for a while. Now, though, now some idiot was causing problems. Being too obvious. Creatures had always been told to hide, to not cause attention. Boogie men told their kids about humans. Now it was just a mad house, too much publicity for a rather unknown creature like a wendigo.

The girl watched the man, glancing up from her phone occasionally. She couldn't kill anybody, not like that. But a threat was a threat. No one would take a wendigos word for its innocence. She let out a heaving sigh, leaning back. This was getting to be a long month.

Sent from Hell using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 7:12 pm 

eyy, senpai!

"Hey now, I know wildlife can get pretty antsy sometimes, but that's no reason to call 'em monsters. They're just doing what they do. Sometimes it causes trouble. Still not monsters, though." Well, convincing the whole town that their problems were mundane so mass panic didn't spread from talk of otherworldly beasts was gonna be a lot harder if even the cops were immediately jumping to the conclusion of monsters and monster hunters. Still, maybe if he kept the charade up, they'd be convinced. All he really had to do was take care of their problem away from prying eyes and bring back a particularly nasty animal as a scapegoat. A bit of a shitty thing to do in his opinion, but the less beasts that met public eyes, the better.

Taking the directions, the hunter stepped back from the desk and gave a small nod. "Thanks, ma'am," He spoke as he walked away from the attendant's desk. The chief's office was his next stop, and after giving a quick knock, he opened it and peeked inside. "Hello? Ah, you must be the chief. Nice setup ya got here." Stepping in fully, he gingerly shut the door and linked his hands behind his back, continuing with an explanation of his presence. "Like I told the attendant, wonderful lady by the way, I'm a hunter. I've heard there's some pretty big game causing trouble out here, people going on about some sorta monster." He paused, and waved a hand dismissively. "I don't think monsters are what you folks have to worry over, though. Not when there's a real threat out there. Now, a wild animal can mess things up real good, and they're smarter than a lot of people give 'em credit for. So I think that's what you got bugging you here."

Returning his hands to their behind-the-back position, he cleared his throat. "And that's where I come in. I'd be more than happy to help your town out. All I really need is some information if you'd be willing to share. One, some files about your "monster." Two, a nice place to stay at night. Three, and this one's the most important, a good place to eat. Can't go running around the woods on an empty stomach, you know." He smiled, and allowed his arms to relax. "So, what do you say?"

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 7:54 pm 

The chief looked the man up and down, a grimace playing at his lips. "You think you can stop that thing? Because I sure as hell ain't ever seen an animal rip a man's heart out his chest like that." The chief took a step away, flicking through a file cabinet before setting down a sizable file onto the table. He took out his handkerchief, wiping his brow before speaking again, his voice cracking. A case like this wore down on a man, a man of the law who wanted nothing more than his town safe.

"Folks are calling it a wendigo, you know. Some sorta deer thing from Indian legends. Er, the American type, at least. Witch hunts all over the place, anybody even a little bit sickly looking ends up getting shot one way or another. I've tried my best to calm people down, but it ain't workin'. Families are dying, and we have no idea what we're doing. Whatever you plan on, it better be quick and effective. Whatever you need, we got. Just don't play us for fools, you hear? We're a bit too on edge after all this. A couple hokey monster hunters have come through here recently, lookin' for a quick buck. Surely, you aren't like that, aren't you?"

The chief circled the man, before settling back in front of his desk. "What is your name anyways, kid?"

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:19 pm 

eyy, senpai!

While listening to the chief's explanation, the man opened the file and flicked through it, looking over photographs of the deaths and written information alongside them. They were all quite graphic, and his expression visibly dropped when he saw the savagery that the bodies must have endured. Some looked less like people, and more like piles of sheared meat. Evidence of consumption was there as well. Tooth and claw marks on bones, missing organs and chunks of flesh. Whatever killed these people had definitely done it to keep itself fed. A wendigo seemed a very likely suspect, though of course, he'd never admit to that. In fact, he decided to twist the situation a little with some offhand knowledge most hunters had. "See, there's plenty of good reasons why a predator would go for the heart. People don't have a lot of meat, compared. A hungry animal will go for whatever they can get. Organs aren't as good as muscle, but the heart? It's pure muscle. And strong too, on account of all the blood pumping." It was a stretch, and a total fabrication, but the logic was at least mostly sound. Of course, the chief then got into what the people believed their monster was.

"Wendigos, huh? I'm not so sure about that. There's a few things old stories say about them. One thing that makes 'em stand out, they supposedly smell like rotten ****. Not a very pleasant odor. Out here though, you folks got some of the freshest air I've ever breathed. Better than big cities by a mile. Secondly, they tend to bring the cold along where they go. Can make a place look like winter in the middle of summer. Mostly, they're up north cause of that. It would be too obvious if they went and moved down somewhere warmer. Supposedly, at least." Pausing momentarily, he picked the file up and closed it, looking toward the chief again. "Of course, there are a lot of stories. Pretty much the same deal with any kind of monster. Who knows what's real or not. I don't really buy into it, myself."

With the file under his arm, he stood up straight and smiled once more. "I assure you, sir. I'm not here to play anybody. Whatever I can pull outta the animal that's been giving you folks troubles will probably be payment enough." He then offered a hand for a greeting shake. "Chris. Chris Simmons."

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:33 pm 

The chief shook Chris' hand, chuckling. "You think I believe that? Son, I've been a hunter all my life. Never seen any animal do that in my entire life. You saw the hole, punched clean through to get to the good stuff. Whatever this is, it ain't natural." The chief rolls his shoulders, puffing himself up. He looked Chris up and down again, eyebrow quirked. Something wrong, nothing new. Just another hokey hunter trying to make a quick buck.

"Whatever you say, Chris. I'm Chief Haywood. You have any questions, you can take a business card, get my number." As Haywood said this, his radio crackled to life. 11-41. Body found out front at the Ramsay residence, looks... Oh god. It's another one. Heart's torn right out of his chest. We need an ambulance and backup immediately. This body is fresh. I think... I think the thing is still here... Code 30! Code 30! The radio crackled out, and Haywood stood for a brief moment, before rushing out of the room, screaming at his men to get together.

He turned to Chris, jerking his head towards the door. "Come on, you coming? You want to see a ****ing monster? Let's go see a ****ing monster."

As they moved out, a girl was just starting to get hungry. Maybe it was time to go get some lunch.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 4:30 pm 

eyy, senpai!

"Nice to meet you, Chief," Chris said with a smile, despite Haywood's revelation that he was a hunter before. Chris cringed internally. Damn, he couldn't bullshit this guy. It certainly didn't help that the town was totally far gone on their belief of monster presence. They were right, he knew, but his plans of leaving the place with less worries about the supernatural might have been for naught. At the very least, he could try to pass it off as paranoia induced panic once he was done there. Whatever he'd need to do to keep the situation contained could be worried about when the time was there for it. Right now, a more pressing matter decided to present itself. While listening to the radio, Chris casually picked a card up from the chief's desk and turned it over, sliding it into his jacket's breast pocket once the chief motioned for him to follow.

"Right along, sir," The hunter answered, moving toward the door as well. While the situation had immediately taken a turn for the dire with another death found out not minutes after his arrival to town, it did offer some upsides. A fresh body at a fresh scene would allow him to search for telltale signs of wendigo presence. Frost where it shouldn't be, tufts of fallen fur, foot (or hoof) prints, all sorts of indicators that a real, physical wendigo had been around. If he found any, then tracking could start properly.

"Damn thing's got some balls making a kill in the day," Chris silently thought. If it was indeed still at the crime scene, then he'd need to bring something special for it. Once outside the station, he quickly got into his truck and started the vehicle, reaching under the passenger seat. A double barreled shotgun loaded with a pair of prepared shells was tugged out and placed on the seat, ready to be used if they had an encounter. Until then, he would follow Haywood's lead around town.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 5:23 pm 

The drive was quick enough, considering everything in the town was an easy walk away from each other. Haywood would've preferred a long drive this time, however. Three bodies, two of those cops. Haywood shivered, whether from the sight or the cold chills he wasn't sure. It was just like the others, down to a t. The bodies torn apart like tissue paper, Haywood steeled himself and started to investigate as he waited for Chris to arrive behind him. From bad to worse, or in this case, from worse to... even worse.

A girl, The Girl, stood nearby, a cigarette burning in her hand. She didn't notice the chill, for she was the chill, the persistent winter that seemed to strike this town, yet she wasn't the one who did this. She knew this in her heart, yet she knew standing this close was dangerous. Some monster hunter running around, the cops swarming the place, she was suicidal to stand this close to the crime scene. It wasn't about the danger, though, it was about the blood. She couldn't eat until late, late tonight, so it helped to see it so close to her. A way to keep her sane, to keep her from doing something as stupid as this.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:46 am 

eyy, senpai!

Chris pulled up not long after Haywood, frowning as he spotted the corpses from the road. "Holy ****," He mumbled to himself. Seeing this kind of thing wasn't uncommon as a hunter, but some folks just never really became entirely desensitized to seeing other people torn open. It was absolutely savage, and clearly the work of a monster. Not only that, but it was out in broad daylight, on someone's front lawn. The thing in this town had absolutely no reservations about its work, no sense of subtlety. Whatever he was dealing with had just gotten a lot more dangerous. When Haywood's car stopped, Chris turned off his own and grabbed his gun, giving it a quick ammo check to make sure it was fully loaded. It was, two silver-painted brass shells snugly fit into the firearm. With it in hand, he got out of his car and circled around the front, shouldering the weapon on the approach.

It was cold - way colder than it should have been. Not quite what some wendigos could do, bringing entire blizzards into territories with them, but a definitely noticeable chill that was wrong compared to the rest of the town's temperature. It had been through here, and Chris knew it could still be nearby. He approached the scene alongside Haywood, keeping a vigilant watch around them and a firm grip on his weapon. If the thing was still here, he hoped he could catch sight of it before it caught them unaware.

"Your boys best keep an eye open," Chris said, approaching one of the nearby corpses. He looked it over, frowning deeply as he took in the details. Shredded flesh, broken limbs, and most tellingly, annihilated ribs. A mess had been made of the body, but he could tell right away that the heart had been targeted and removed.